PDA

View Full Version : Anno Domini

Re Berengario I
12-14-2006, 01:12
I'm working on a new mod with some different flavors (not for all tastes) which sincerely need your active discussion about them.

These will be the main differences with Vanilla:

Timeframe

1080-1580 with 2 turns for year. The growth of the settlements is already been worked out in the settlement xml file. The movement of land military units has been halved and together with the bigger map will avoid blitzkriegs (no Guderian and Rommel in middle-age... you know ). Movement of most agents and ships have been increased. Cost and construction time of all buildings have been multiplied by 4. Starting development of cities will be historically correct (so yes Constantinople will have Saint Sofia from the start).

Regions and Map

I'm near to complete the complete rewriting of all regions. They'll be about the max of 200, historically correct for the date of campaign start (1080) and with their names in the language of the owners (possibly). The map will be a reworking of Spurius' one (big thanks to him). Rebel regions will be noticeably stronger, if the Byzs want to conquer Bulgaria back they have to sweat like Basil II did (it's hard to be the Basileus).

Factions

There will be no countries (no sense in middle age, there was no concept of country in modern sense) but instead dinasties that will battle over the map, acquiring regions and titles linked with them.

Basically if the Plantagenets will kick the Capetians' ass they will become kings of England AND France, as they became kings of Scotland, Eire and Waled in reality... you see historically correct and gameplay solid.

So no more silly Denmark become the ruler of the world, it will be the dinasty who ruled Denmark which will get the titles he will conquer grabbing regions from others. Another example, the HRE will have the Welfs and Waiblings battle over the emperor crown.

Titles

There will be kingdom titles, which could be acquired just by the faction leader, and regional titles (count, duke, sheik, etc) which will be given to generals once they'll garrison a settlement for some minimum turns. They will be transmitted to the son (maybe giving the son a trait... title_heir if the father has the ancillary title, removing the trait if the father would not have the ancillary title anymore). Have to test how could the AI behave, but I think I will sort it out.

Titles will be removed once the faction won't possess the region at the end of the turn.

All in all it will be a shitload of scripting and triggering as for every turn it will have to test the property of every region for every faction.

Victory Conditions

This is the hardest of all to work out as the AI is not very reliable about it and don't know exactly how to link the it to the titles but probably I will give as victory conditions the possess of some capital regions (which grant the royal titles). Anyway I will think about it a bit better.

AI

AI will be improved but is still in a testing phase until I could mod all the new factions into as it's extremely reactive to who the neighbours are and which victory conditions they share with us.

New Units and Buildings

Without the unpacker no work done here but units will be recruited possibily on a regional basis more than on a faction basis (so if Egypt will conquer Welsh it could recruit welsh longbows).
Generals could be recruited by all the faction who will still possess one capitol region so to avoid (hopefully) the unhistorical adoptions as there no way to mod it out completely, but you will have presented 99 years generals who'll die the year later, so it's better for your factions to have fertile sons.
I'm also curios if you can inherit other factions by one of your princesses marriage (as it did happen historically).
The most prominent buildings will be included into the hard coded limits (so if Capetians will posses Paris region they could build Notre Dame for example).

Ok, this is my "vaste programme" and can't wait to have the unpacker in my hands but I would be really glad to hear your opinions and criticisms about itl. Thanks to anyone patient enough to read it all .

Re Berengario I
12-14-2006, 01:13
Ok, just to keep you all interested in here's some screenshots of the new game map (I'm using 174 province slots right now, so there's some space for further detailing).

https://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5486/irelandwalesck4.jpg

Ireland and Wales (no more easy 2 province conquering)

https://img212.imageshack.us/img212/7402/englanddk9.jpg

England

https://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8089/northitalyld4.jpg

Northern Italy (I already changed the Venice name, it slipped through :embarassed: )

Malachus
12-17-2006, 09:14
I downloaded the version of your map at twcenter.net and I gotta say it is totally kickarse.

However, I'm a little curious as to why you included a land bridge between the Italian peninsula near Bari connecting to the Greek peninsula. Is this to foster Sicilian AI expansion? I can understand the land links elsewhere since they're all rather short, but this one is much longer than the rest of them.

Anyway, keep up the good work. :2thumbsup:

Re Berengario I
12-17-2006, 10:09
I did it to force Sicilians to invade Durazzo as historically happened. Now with AI finally using naval invasions I will delete most of those long landbridges.

dragan
12-17-2006, 18:27
It's impossible for me to install your mod:help:
Could you explain me please !!!
(i'm french and my english is very poor !)

Re Berengario I
12-18-2006, 09:43
I've released the first "light version" of my mod, that can be found at Twcenter, but I suggest you to wait for a couple of days when a new version will be out with some bug fixes and some more polishness around (especially about resources and agricoltural incomes).

The installation, considering this is still very WIP, consists in unpacking the rar file in your MTW2 directory. You'll then have a "/AD" directory under the MTW2 one and you'll have to configure the game to use it with the different methods explained in a lot fo threads here at the Org and at Twcenter (I personally use a window shortcut).

Simmons
12-19-2006, 07:38
Hey Re Berengario I will the next version include more regions in the east and northern africa just thinking I might hold off starting a new campaign if so.

And of course great work so far :thumbsup:

Kushan
12-20-2006, 00:19
Downloading the light version from TWC. At first glances map seems to be the best one I've seen so far...finally more provinces.

Kushan

GreatWarrior
12-20-2006, 17:24
How can I get that map into my game? And where do I get it

Re Berengario I
12-21-2006, 11:55
AD modding team is pretty near to release a new light version, it's just a matter of a couple of days to do some playtesting and it will uploaded at the twcenter.

The light version will have the huger map, a lot of provinces (we're near 190 I guess with the latest additions) and a new improved AI (thanks to Shaba Wangy) and an overall tweaking of starting armies, buildings etc.

So be ready for the announce and the link ;)

GreatWarrior
12-22-2006, 01:25
Re Berengario I a question for you, once the new map is released. Is it possible to just use your map in my campaign without any of the other changes?

Simmons
12-22-2006, 03:53
Re Berengario I a question for you, once the new map is released. Is it possible to just use your map in my campaign without any of the other changes?
Thats pretty much what the light version will be if you don't want the AI files it should not be to hard to work out which file to leave out.

tsubame
12-26-2006, 18:40
Downloaded and applied the Mod, but after choosing Venice in the grand campaign I got the message "Medieval 2 Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit".

I use Medieval II Total War Manager to manage Mods but I've tried also
following the instructions given in the Mod and creating the .bat and .cgf
files on my own. No way... :wall:

Where's my mistake ?

Re Berengario I
12-27-2006, 11:53
There's a new 0.91 version ready to be downloaded at TWCenter.

In the same forums there is a detailed step by step installation guide for the unexperienced.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75381

Take in account that is still a BETA WIP VERSION, that's why it's 0.91 and not 1.0, so it lacks an automated installation procedure and many game aspects are still rough, unpolished and unbalanced.

Thanks to everyone who'll play with it and be sure to post here or at TWCenter your opinions, bug discoveries and general gameplay experiences so we can use them to improve the mod for the final version.

Downoload link

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=944

Re Berengario I
12-28-2006, 14:14
The upcoming 0.92 version will have, together with some bug fixes and a brand new AI written from scratch, real medieval historical names and not the vanilla ones.

Just to give you people some example:

Sicily:
https://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6281/sicilywt8.jpg

Spain:
https://img409.imageshack.us/img409/4668/spain2tg6.jpg

Moors:
https://img226.imageshack.us/img226/4126/moorscg6.jpg

So no more Paparo Pinocchio leading your crusade or Karembau DelPiero playing on the battlefield instead than in Fifa2007.

tsubame
12-31-2006, 23:40
Fixed my problems with the .bat file.

Now Mod starts but I get a map with city descriptions in huge colored squares, and no buttons for constructions, soldiers and turn change. No minimap too. Just withe squares. The advisor seems half-hidden in the
top-left corner. i suppose is something in the video settings.

Is me or the Mod ? Playing with italian version.

Re Berengario I
01-01-2007, 13:18
It seems you messed pretty well the folders of the game. The \AD mod folder have to be placed INSIDE the folder where the Vanilla game is.

tsubame
01-01-2007, 23:39
I've tried to mod the buildings into Venice. All the mess appeared after this.
I've re-loaded completely the Mod and it works fine, but I wonder what would happen in later times, when the buildings I tried to add will be available...

TheDeparted45
01-03-2007, 18:52
Hey I'm having trouble installing this mod. I've followed the step by step instructions perfectly but I can't get the map to work. i've tried using the shortcut method in the instructions, but the @ad.cfg at the end of the shortcut part reverts whenever i start the game. I have another mod folder so i try to change the bat file for that to work for the AD folder, but that doesnt work either. any ideas on whats wrong?

tsubame
01-04-2007, 22:14
All problems removed. Mod works well even with higher eras buildings and
units. Strongly suggest to whoever suffer problems with this mod to put the
--io file first line INTO THE .CFG FILE. Make a quick search on how it has to be made properly.

Waiting anxiously for the next version.

Re Berengario I
01-05-2007, 14:29
All problems removed. Mod works well even with higher eras buildings and
units. Strongly suggest to whoever suffer problems with this mod to put the
--io file first line INTO THE .CFG FILE. Make a quick search on how it has to be made properly.

Waiting anxiously for the next version.

Don't to do it if you're using the mod directory and the mod switch but only if you overwrite the Vanilla files in the original directories.

IvarrWolfsong
01-09-2007, 19:16
any update on this one?:beam:

Re Berengario I
01-09-2007, 21:44
The project is not dieing at all! Instead a new 0.92 version is on playtesting right now. When there won't be any evident issues (like CTDs) and the gameplay will be more stabilized it will released to the public.

billydilly
01-17-2007, 20:02
Excellent, looking forward to it!

Kushan
01-17-2007, 21:32
The project is not dieing at all! Instead a new 0.92 version is on playtesting right now. When there won't be any evident issues (like CTDs) and the gameplay will be more stabilized it will released to the public.

Glad to see TWC going down wont kill of AD :)

Kushan

JaM
01-18-2007, 01:00
I'm glad too, i started play beta to help betatest (so far i cant find any errors, great job) and i was affraid that i wouldnt have a place where to post my findings...

Re Berengario I
01-18-2007, 01:01
I'm still alive and I was an org member far before than TWC ever existed so you can post your findings here and they will be read and answered :)

Re Berengario I
01-18-2007, 03:25
Btw, if someone is interested in playtesting the 0.92b version can drop me a PM here too and the download link will be posted to him (it's not on TWC anyway).

Kushan
01-18-2007, 05:53
Any idea when v0.92 will be released?

Kushan

Re Berengario I
01-18-2007, 11:32
This weekend as it seems there's no game-ruining CTDs.

Eriol
01-18-2007, 15:01
well, here we are... Why don't you get a forum for AD?

Re Berengario I
01-18-2007, 15:59
Well I think there's no need for now. Once the mod new version will be released to the public if the feedback will be overwhelming for a single thread I will ask a subforum.

JaM
01-18-2007, 17:48
I asked on official forum about how armor upgrades are coded and they told me that armor upgrades just add +1 point to armor and there isnt any other system behind. So it looks that all EDU files needs to be rebalanced, to make units with the same armor type have same protection values.

Re Berengario I
01-18-2007, 18:19
In the meanwhile the development of the 1.0 version is proceeding.

That version will install OVER the vanilla game directory so you will need to backup the data\maps folder and use the " medieval2.exe --io.file_first" switch.

We're still working on strategical gameplay, just to give you an idea of what is boiling down, here's the monastery of Monte Cassino (between Naples and Rome):

https://img249.imageshack.us/img249/2052/montecassinodl5.jpg

Units will be looked into again, right now we're using Darth Vader tweaks togerther with other little modifications of some. They'll have a complete overhaul though when things will be settled down more (alas the bugs will be fixed).

Kushan
01-18-2007, 19:26
That version will install OVER the vanilla game directory so you will need to backup the data\maps folder and use the " medieval2.exe --io.file_first" switch.

Would it work with the mod switch if it had to? I get a bit nervous when I have to install anything in the vanilla folder.

Kushan

Re Berengario I
01-18-2007, 19:47
Would it work with the mod switch if it had to? I get a bit nervous when I have to install anything in the vanilla folder.

Kushan

Version 1.0 won't work with mod switch. Nothing we can do about it as it's CA design decision if we want to modify some files (some aren't read from a modswitch folder :no: ), so cleanest approach is using a vanilla installation. Backup your files and savegames.

Version 0.92b is using mod switch and it'll be the last one to use this method.

Eriol
01-18-2007, 20:04
did you create that monastery thingy?

Anyway... about .92b:

Been playing with Byzantines... Got all of Asia-Minor and the Balkans... overextended myself and now Venice is no more and I have despicable rep... City growth is enormous... maybe you could put it down to decimals (0,3% instead of 3% per annum, for exemple)

think I found a bug: My faction leader had 4 royal titles... (Out of some 7 I conquered). He dies, his son gets 4... but the Basieleus one, among others, doesn't show... So I have a few crappy ones and my king's stats are worse off than with the inicial title...

Is there a limit to royal titles/retinue?

Eriol
01-18-2007, 20:11
oh, btw, I think a lot of people (myself included) prefer not to mess with the original install... Is there any technical reason you want to install on top or is it just for confort's sake?

Re Berengario I
01-18-2007, 20:34
oh, btw, I think a lot of people (myself included) prefer not to mess with the original install... Is there any technical reason you want to install on top or is it just for confort's sake?

I just explained in the message before the reason why, some modded files can be read by the game only if they are in the original folders so no reason to put some in the modded dir, some into the original, etc... it would be a mess.

Just back up your \data\map folder and the savegames and you're pretty safe as all the other files could be deleted and the game will use the packed ones.

This of course unless CA will change something in the future, actually the modding procedure is pretty unconsistent once we touch certain zones.

Yes the monastery thing is an Anno Domini Modding Wonder (tm) :P
We're particularly proud of the shining gold cross (no offense to muslims who were so kind to let live a lot of ancient monasteries in their lands as the Sinai one, while we christians were always so busy burning synagogues).

About the titles I think the ancillary limits were the same as in RTW/BI but if your old leader got them I don't see why the heir cannot have them also unless you lose some needed region (Constantinople for the Basileus title).

Btw, the old owner of the title have to die before you can acquire the title ancillary. So it's not just province conquering.

Treesmasha
01-20-2007, 08:53
Re Berengario I, have you been checking the posts/replies at TWC during the "crisis" with regards to your mod?

Re Berengario I
01-20-2007, 13:55
I read it but still the fact of being able of built watchtowers or not is linked to the type of terrain like in vanilla. You can't built watchtowers in desert for example, at least I never was able of.

Grimmnir
01-20-2007, 14:18
hallo liebe freunde,

ihr fragt mich, warum ich nicht mehr schreibe. nun, ich kann nicht genügend englisch. :help: es wäre schön, wenn das hier mehr in deutsch geschrieben würde. ich habe voller hoffnung, den "anno domini mod" installiert mit hilfe meines schwiegersohns installiert, aber jedesmal hat mein pc merkwürdige töne von sich gegeben.
ich, aber nicht nur ich, sondern viele viele freunde auch, warten sehnsüchtig und voller hoffnung auf einen mtw realismusmod, da das spiel so wie der hersteller es auf den markt gebracht hat, sehr schlecht, unhistorisch und leider deutschfeindlich (HRR) ist!
also, daß ich nicht mehr schreibe, liegt nur daran, daß ich nicht genügend englisch kann und meine tochter, die bisher meine schreiben übersetzt hat z.zt. keine lust hat ihrem armen vater zu helfen.
:help:
alles liebe,
Grimmnir.
p.s. ich finde euer forum sehr gut!!!

Re Berengario I
01-20-2007, 14:30
Ich kann ein bissen deutsch versthen und schreiben, aber das ist ein englisch forum und... it's better to write in english to let everyone able to read (and moderate). :)

Treesmasha
01-20-2007, 15:10
I wasn't referring to anything specific, but only checking for the need to repost any beta findings here really. Would you like further beta updates here or at TWC?

On the subject of watchtowers, it seems related to the entire territory and not the specific underlying terrain where you want to build it. Plus given that I built 63 (as I recall) watchtowers in my first 7 territories (Alexandria, Cairo, Dongola, Jedda, al-Kafuh, Amman, and Asqalan), I was clearly building them in desert areas.

Re Berengario I
01-20-2007, 16:19
https://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9206/splash092small0ef.jpg

0.92 is public.

Check here:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=135

Use this thread for support and discussions as it is still in development even if the version is already fully playable.

STEP BY STEP SAFE INSTALLATION HOW TO:

1) Assume your MTW2 directory is called Medieval II Total War. You have this usually as default
c:\Programs\Sega\Medieval II Total War
If your directory is different just use its name as reference instead than the one above.
Enter this directory with Explorer.

2) You'll see different subdurectories in it, "data", "logs", "saves", etc... Select the one called "Data". Right click. Copy.

3) In the same "Medieval II Total War" directory right click, create folder, rename it AD. You should now have a
c:\Programs\Sega\Medieval II Total War\AD
empty directory.

4) Go into \Medieval II Total War\AD. Richt Click, Paste. Wait for some minutes as a freaking huge numbers of files need to be copied. Now you should have a
c:\Programs\Sega\Medieval II Total War\AD\Data
directory. If you don't restart from point 1) and buy "Windows XP for Dummies".

5) Download the AD archive from the link in the first post of this thread. Open it. Select all (just to be sure) and select "Extract to" with as directory c:\Programs\Sega\Medieval II Total War (or the other directory were the game is). Probably the program will ask you if you want to overwrite existant files. Chose YES ALL.

6) Go to \Medieval II Total War\AD\Data\Text and delete all the bin files

7) Go to \Medieval II Total War\AD\Data\World\Maps\Base and delete map.rwm

8) go to \Medieval II Total War\, select medieval2.preference.cfg, copy it, and paste it with the name AD.cfg

9) right click on AD.cfg, uncheck the "read only" box, open the file with notepad and add the at its end the following lines:

[features]

mod = AD

Save the file and exit. Reselect AD.cfg, right click on it, check back the "read only" box.

10) Select the file medieval2.exe, right click, choose "Create Shortcut".

11) Select the window shortcut you just made (it should be named "Copy of medieval2.exe"). Rename it AD. Right click it and choose Properties.
On the first window there should be a field named Destination with in it "C:\Programs\Sega\Medieval II Total War \medieval2.exe" (or whatever your directory is). At the end of it add a space and @AD.cfg so that you will read
"C:\Programs\Sega\Medieval II Total War \medieval2.exe" @AD.cfg
Click OK.

12) Double click on the AD window shortcut and enjoy the mod.

Re Berengario I
01-20-2007, 17:13
I wasn't referring to anything specific, but only checking for the need to repost any beta findings here really. Would you like further beta updates here or at TWC?

On the subject of watchtowers, it seems related to the entire territory and not the specific underlying terrain where you want to build it. Plus given that I built 63 (as I recall) watchtowers in my first 7 territories (Alexandria, Cairo, Dongola, Jedda, al-Kafuh, Amman, and Asqalan), I was clearly building them in desert areas.

Feedback can be posted here or at twcenter and it will be read by me.

Still there's no option I'm aware of that hinders the building of watchtowers in some regions, I always supposed it could be linked to the terrain as you cannot build them of course on impassable terrains. It is something I'll look into but, sincerely, I don't put it into the top priority list.

Taneda Santôka
01-21-2007, 04:49
I havent played, just checked the map, and noticed neither Smyrna nor Trebizonde have a harbour... Is it intentionnal? I gave it max pop and all buildings and no harbour is buildable.
Damn the Byz have a big starting position, about my current empire in a 1200 LTC campaign. I'll try later.

Re Berengario I
01-21-2007, 09:38
I havent played, just checked the map, and noticed neither Smyrna nor Trebizonde have a harbour... Is it intentionnal? I gave it max pop and all buildings and no harbour is buildable.

There were some glitches in the terrain map which did prevent them. Fixed in the next release and thanx for pointing it out (with almost 200 provinces is hard to notice everything).

Damn the Byz have a big starting position, about my current empire in a 1200 LTC campaign. I'll try later.

Hehe, you should have seen before Manzikert.

Italian Stallion
01-21-2007, 11:56
I noticed in the instructions I was to delete the bin files in the text folder. I can't find any bin files, anywhere. Any help?

Italian Stallion
01-21-2007, 12:05
Ok, sorry to double post.

) Download the AD archive from the link in the first post of this thread. Open it. Select all (just to be sure) and select "Extract to" with as directory c:\Programs\Sega\Medieval II Total War (or the other directory were the game is). Probably the program will ask you if you want to overwrite existant files. Chose YES ALL.

When I extract into the directory, it all comes in a folder titled AD092. Should this be my AD folder, or rather, what do I do with this folder and/or the contents?

Re Berengario I
01-21-2007, 13:07
AD092 it is your AD folder, but you can rename it "AD" so you could overwrite it correctly with the next updates.

If the bin files don't exists this is because you're doing the first installation, nothing wrong in what you did.

Re Berengario I
01-22-2007, 15:00
double post...

Re Berengario I
01-22-2007, 15:07
Quick update on the work in progress for 1.0 version.

We're finishing some nasty scripts which will fire rebel forces into your territories the worser your global reputation will become.

This event is to reflect the fact that a monarch with bad reputation or overaggressive behaviour is not so trusted by his vassals (plus the taxes, the deaths, etc...), so peace is pretty needed to allow you to rule effortlessy.

We're also pushing generals and governors to become more and more disloyal together with their eventual settlements.

We're thinking this is very needed to reflect an age where most of the wars were "civil wars" or to better rephrase "vassallatic wars" and there weren't any of the silly World War as the ones in the vanilla campaign.

Hross af Guttenburg
01-24-2007, 08:47
Thats an excellent point, I think one of the best aspects of the original MTW was the civil wasr split in your faction where you were asked which forces you wanted to back- it seemed very realistic. That and the fact that alliances or vassalage does not gain you access to peaceful conquest is one of the poorer parts of vanilla

Darkarbiter
01-24-2007, 09:15
Great mod. Defenitly a lot more playable for vanilla (map is infinitly more fun and I love the whole titles thing and how relations work).
I'm using this for my House of Jimenz-Borgona AAR http://forums.totalrealism.net/index.php?showtopic=25460

Re Berengario I
01-24-2007, 10:50
Great mod. Defenitly a lot more playable for vanilla (map is infinitly more fun and I love the whole titles thing and how relations work).
I'm using this for my House of Jimenz-Borgona AAR http://forums.totalrealism.net/index.php?showtopic=25460

A really enjoyable AAR reading! Keep up the good work :book:

Darkarbiter
01-24-2007, 11:19
A really enjoyable AAR reading! Keep up the good work :book:
Thanks for the compliment. Ive learnt from some of the best AAR writers at the RTR forums. Its certainly a lot more a success then my last AAR (but then thats allways how ive been[don't do something for ages and then when I do it again I do something really inovative])

Grimmnir
01-24-2007, 21:34
hello,

i have a problem with the mod.

i have installed it (see step by step instructions) and started the game. the game starts without errors and shows the options screen. when i try to start a campaign the game freezes, so i can't do anything. closing the game is only possible by using the task manager.

what can i do to get it work?

greetings
Grimmnir.

Italian Stallion
01-24-2007, 23:02
This has probably been addressed, but the inheritance of titles seems to be a bit buggy. William the Conqueror gained Rex Angliae, Scottiae, Cabriae and Hiberniae. His son inherited, then gained the same for Denmark, Sweden and Norway. His son, the 3rd king, only has the Danish title now...

And is there anyway to make heirs selectable like in RTW? If so, I think it'd be fantastic to do so in this mod. I just think it's awesome to have a solid bloodline without adoptive sons becoming kings and whatnot.

Other than that, this mod is amazing, and breathed new life into a game I was starting to get tired of.

Re Berengario I
01-25-2007, 01:47
There's a hardcoded limit of 8 ancillaries for every character, keep it in count when you have titles around. I think I'll do some modifications to prevent overstacking in the future as I'm planning to revise all the actual ancillaries (some of them are pretty stupid like the foreign fruitcake... come on... in middle age... bah!) after I'll finish the work to rewrite VnVs from ground up.

Also the heir selection is not possible because it is hardcoded too. I hope CA will fix it or otherway give some "power" to the modders to modify it in a future patch. We'll see.

Italian Stallion
01-25-2007, 05:29
Is there anyway to remove ancillaries short of giving them to someone else?

Darkarbiter
01-25-2007, 05:38
Is there anyway to remove ancillaries short of giving them to someone else?
Probably via script.

Hross af Guttenburg
01-28-2007, 16:15
This has probably been addressed, but the inheritance of titles seems to be a bit buggy. William the Conqueror gained Rex Angliae, Scottiae, Cabriae and Hiberniae. His son inherited, then gained the same for Denmark, Sweden and Norway. His son, the 3rd king, only has the Danish title now...

And is there anyway to make heirs selectable like in RTW? If so, I think it'd be fantastic to do so in this mod. I just think it's awesome to have a solid bloodline without adoptive sons becoming kings and whatnot.

Other than that, this mod is amazing, and breathed new life into a game I was starting to get tired of.

I agree, a fantastic and very enjoyable mod. But the adoptive sons is a real pain and feels completely unrealistic/unhistorical. The accumulation of titles as you conquer provinces is a really nice touch

The map is truely excellent

Keep up the good work. The best mod around. It would be nice to see a Swedish faction in the north. I might have a go at this myself.

fenir
01-30-2007, 03:54
Tried to Download your Mod from the Download Section, it redirects me to Filefront, to which a search has no such name "Anno Domini".

Is there is a Problem with the DL?

fenir

Darkarbiter
01-30-2007, 09:06
My AAR just got pwned by El Cid. Didn't realise there were events.... I'll be on the look out next time lol.

Re Berengario I
01-30-2007, 13:34
Tried to Download your Mod from the Download Section, it redirects me to Filefront, to which a search has no such name "Anno Domini".

Is there is a Problem with the DL?

fenir

It works right now. Sometimes Filefront goes down, probably when they need to run a Database reset.

Re Berengario I
01-30-2007, 13:36
My AAR just got pwned by El Cid. Didn't realise there were events.... I'll be on the look out next time lol.

There are just a bunch of them (mostly to test out the limits the engine has).

Since the results were more than satisfactory there will be a lot of them in the next releases.

Darkarbiter
01-31-2007, 00:31
There are just a bunch of them (mostly to test out the limits the engine has).

Since the results were more than satisfactory there will be a lot of them in the next releases.
Good job with them anyway!

Re Berengario I
01-31-2007, 01:56
Good job with them anyway!

Thanks, but there are a lot of other surprise awaiting for you all in 1.0.

I'm coding right now a parallel system of truces which fire before sieges and battles when the AI is a disadvantage, so you can choose the warmonger road (and pay its price) or otherway you (maybe) covered the expenses of the military expedition and can go back home where some rebel feudal lord is sieging your hometowns :smash:

Re Berengario I
02-05-2007, 02:29
Version 1.0 is still proceeding on its way to the release.

Today I ended to sort out all the ancillaries and I changed their graphics to something more "medieval-flavoured" and artistic.

I'm also adding new ancillaries to spice up the campaign a bit more.

There will be also a nice surprise for the players, something they can make choices about, not just hope it will happen or won't like ancillaries and traits.

I'm not entering in details now but it is something else to make the strategic side of the game more interesting and historical and actually another tool to shape your faction.

Btw, I'm also redoing step by step a lot of graphic. I don't think it will complete in 1.0 as I don't want to stop the release for this but is another thing to avoid boredom I think.

I'm also studying a complete revision of units and unit stats and graphics. What still stop me from doing it is that huge amount of bugs that the combat system still has and I'm very frightned that when CA will hopefully fix it in the next patch I have to redo all the work again from scratch.
This is another reason why I'll wait till the next patch for putting new factions into the mod. There will be, rest assured, but it's nosense right now whithout adding new units and risk the results explained above.
So since I don't want to wait for CA for the 1.0 release I'm concentrating my efforts on the strategic gameplay and scripting, while using the wonderful work from Darth Vader for the combat, so to have a solid foundations for all the new stuff that will come in the upcoming months.

Djurre
02-05-2007, 12:51
The installation instructions are wrong.

6) Go to \Medieval II Total War\AD\Data\Text and delete all the bin files

there is no folder "AD\DATA\TEXT". There is a folder named "AD092\Data\Text" AD092 appeared on unpacking the mod to the root mtw2 folder. There are however only text files in this folder, and no bin files.

This great guys, no i dare not delete anything else, beceause i'm afraid of ******* up my installation. Did i do something wrong or are the instructions wrong?

also :
11) Select the window shortcut you just made (it should be named "Copy of medieval2.exe"). Rename it AD. Right click it and choose Properties.
On the first window there should be a field named Destination with in it "C:\Programs\Sega\Medieval II Total War \medieval2.exe" (or whatever your directory is). At the end of it add a space and @AD.cfg so that you will read
"C:\Programs\Sega\Medieval II Total War \medieval2.exe" @AD.cfg
Click OK.

does not work for me. When i check the shortcuts destination, it hasnt saved the @ad.cfg part. it just says d:\games\med etc.

Re Berengario I
02-05-2007, 20:17
This great guys, no i dare not delete anything else, beceause i'm afraid of ******* up my installation. Did i do something wrong or are the instructions wrong?

You did the right thing, if you were installed the mod over a previous version you'd have to delete them. But if these files don't exist you obviously don't have them to delete.

does not work for me. When i check the shortcuts destination, it hasnt saved the @ad.cfg part. it just says d:\games\med etc.

Blame XP and Bill gates. It didn't seem to save but it worked (for me at last).

Since moddir is a huge pain the final version version will use a fresh vanilla folder installation, an exe installer and a batch file to be clicked to launch the mod. It couldn't be simpler...

Djurre
02-07-2007, 15:32
Turns out i've been punching first, asking questions later.
I simply had to change the AD092(As it appeared in the archive) folder's name to AD. This way, when i extracted it to \MTW2\AD, the two folders merged and i was able to play.

I still did not encounter any .BIN files. only simple text files. But hey.

I'm currently playing as the byzatines, and enjoying it. Glad to have those titles back. This reputation system does seem to be working. My general has full command, chivalry, and influence. He's carries the legacy of the roman emperors, and is the king of serbia. Requests for alliances by the catholic factions came pouring in and i accepted hungary and Poland. despite them being of other religions. turned down england and france.

One thing that seems rather weird however, is the egyptian and Seljuk jihads on ikonium. I defeat them, but the leader survives, or is released after being captured. He retreats all the way back to the middle east, only to return the turn after. This really helps to turn my horse achers into elites and all, but there is something wrong here. They dont seem to attack the city if i await their onslaught, and the troops do not desert. this has been going on for at least 10 turns now, and distracts the islamic nations from defending the holy land from crusades. Jerusalem was conquered by the hungarians, but revolted. there was but a tiny garrison.

Apart from that, this mod (though, as complex as what we might expect from the EB team, if they ever finish the RTW mod) made me change my mind on mtw2. I was shure i was tricked into buying a piece of software with an impressive name, but lowsy content. Thank you for the effort, and props on the campaignmap. keep up the good work.

Darkarbiter
02-09-2007, 11:19
You did the right thing, if you were installed the mod over a previous version you'd have to delete them. But if these files don't exist you obviously don't have them to delete.

Blame XP and Bill gates. It didn't seem to save but it worked (for me at last).

Since moddir is a huge pain the final version version will use a fresh vanilla folder installation, an exe installer and a batch file to be clicked to launch the mod. It couldn't be simpler...
Same for me. Just have to keep saving over until it works (sometimes it says it isn't going there but it is actually).

hopefully I will find some way to multi mod anyway but im sure for a lot of people the vanilla installer will help.

Re Berengario I
02-09-2007, 12:37
If you have some disk space spare multimod is pretty simple. AD will simply require you to copy the original vanilla folder to another one with a different name, run the installer on it and voilà.

Btw, this is needed because most of the graphic and other files aren't read by the game from the mod folders so, unless CA will change the way mod switch will work, there aren't a lot of other choices possible.

Re Berengario I
02-09-2007, 13:16
Another quick update on the 1.0 version.

Work done:

- Completely new graphic for loadscreens, menus and most of the game events.

- The revision of VnVs and ancillaries has been completed.

- It's has been added a new event system to make the strategic playing more satisfactory. You'll feel you're ruling a medieval kingdom in AD, not just raise troops for the next battle. And the good thing is that this system will have many, many way where it can expand.

- Armies outside a settlement will have to pay a substantial upkeep for every stack. This will be balanced with a minor plain upkeep cost. The logic is that a mobilitated army is an expensive matter but it would cost very few if it's just defensive.

- rebels will plague your lands and the more the worse your reputation is. Btw they will attack your cities not just stand there watching their feet.

Work in Progress:
- completing the rebels with different army composition for different eras
- heretics spawning by events (yes cathars, bogumiles and friends will have their own events and will spawn where historically were).
- events for the coming of Almohads, Ottomans, Mameluks and other forces which will "fatten up" the relative AI factions.
- a feudal system of contracts and privileges.
- new/changed recruitment options.
- implementing the new RealisticCombat system by Point Blank together with Darth Vader Battle AI

Proposed ETA: end of the next week for the 0.99 beta

Re Berengario I
02-10-2007, 03:44
Since Anno Domini is and will always be a work in progress for at least some months as we modders discover new ways to implement features to stretch the game engine to the limit I decided to upload a new Beta version, the 0.93!

Beta doesn't mean it isn't stable or it rough but that some of the features I'll want to see in are still to be finished while every day I include something new.

It's a staggering download of over 70mb because it includes a lot of new graphic to help the players to immerse themselves in a realistic medieval world.

Here's some screenshots:

https://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1879/historicaleventtx9.th.jpg (https://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=historicaleventtx9.jpg)

https://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4559/royaltitleswi2.th.jpg (https://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=royaltitleswi2.jpg)

https://img403.imageshack.us/img403/392/factionevent1jf0.th.jpg (https://img403.imageshack.us/my.php?image=factionevent1jf0.jpg)

https://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1710/factionevent2ps0.th.jpg (https://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=factionevent2ps0.jpg)

https://img178.imageshack.us/img178/3786/newgraphickv0.th.jpg (https://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newgraphickv0.jpg)

https://img409.imageshack.us/img409/6569/charactersah9.th.jpg (https://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=charactersah9.jpg)

https://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2435/france13bs.th.jpg (https://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=france13bs.jpg)

https://img256.imageshack.us/img256/86/minimap10pv.th.jpg (https://img256.imageshack.us/my.php?image=minimap10pv.jpg)

You can find the download link here at the ORG https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=135 or you can directly go to filefront http://files.filefront.com/Anno_Domini_093_Beta_Setprar/;6716684;;/fileinfo.html

Djurre
02-11-2007, 12:00
I encountered some weird stuff in .92.
If someone tells me how to make screenshots, ill upload them. Jihads not working properly, and russia being whiped out by nothing.

Hross af Guttenburg
02-11-2007, 15:20
Maybe it just the sheer traffic but from the upload but I have a 100mbit connection and yet it takes forever to download this from filefront, can't you use megaupload.com or something? Please?

Re Berengario I
02-11-2007, 16:47
Maybe it just the sheer traffic but from the upload but I have a 100mbit connection and yet it takes forever to download this from filefront, can't you use megaupload.com or something? Please?

I have set up an alternate download link.

Russ Mitchell
02-11-2007, 18:07
Hey, Berengario, long time no see!

I don't have a copy of the game yet (bad me, I've been handling too much research), but I'm **real** happy to see you're focusing on dynasties, rather than countries.

If you are going to work on units, I can help with the Arpadians/Anjou as in the past. What I saw from the unit roster suggests that a surprisingly small number of tweaks would suffice to make them historically accurate. (This summer a buddy and I are finally going to start writing our book on the subject, so that there's something available that's both up-to-date and in a language other than Hungarian, with all its crazy vowels... ;) )

What I don't have, unfortunately, is time to run through serious hard code, etcetera... too many exams and papers to grade, at least this spring. But if you'd like some help in the region, by all means let me know.

Re Berengario I
02-11-2007, 21:47
Hey, Berengario, long time no see!

I don't have a copy of the game yet (bad me, I've been handling too much research), but I'm **real** happy to see you're focusing on dynasties, rather than countries.

If you are going to work on units, I can help with the Arpadians/Anjou as in the past. What I saw from the unit roster suggests that a surprisingly small number of tweaks would suffice to make them historically accurate. (This summer a buddy and I are finally going to start writing our book on the subject, so that there's something available that's both up-to-date and in a language other than Hungarian, with all its crazy vowels... ;) )

What I don't have, unfortunately, is time to run through serious hard code, etcetera... too many exams and papers to grade, at least this spring. But if you'd like some help in the region, by all means let me know.

Hey Russ! I remember you from the times of the first MTW and the looong discussions about troops and rosters... sigh... we're getting older here :sweatdrop:

Thanks for the offer, I'm preparing the new rosters right now, I'm sending you a PM right now :beam:

Re Berengario I
02-11-2007, 22:05
Same for me. Just have to keep saving over until it works (sometimes it says it isn't going there but it is actually).

hopefully I will find some way to multi mod anyway but im sure for a lot of people the vanilla installer will help.

About the topic, it seems that multimod is possible using AD 0.93.

In practice AD is using non packed modded files, vanilla uses packed files (so save games should still be usable, new campaigns won't be possible because the change in the campaign files) and mods which use the moddir use the mod folder and the packed files.

This if obviously you just didn't install AD on a copied MTW2 folder which still is the best practice to be sure that the vanilla folder (with all your other mods) will remain untouched.

The latter is the same procedure as in Rome with the huger mods alà Fourh Age, EB, etc...

d1ng0d0g
02-13-2007, 15:07
I've been playing the 0.93 version now for a couple of days, and there's a few things I have noticed. Besides a few bugs, there's also a gameplay issue.

Bugs that I have noticed:
Lack of some unit cards.
Some wrong pictures for resources.

Things that may be bugs, but I'm not sure.

The reputation thing: After becoming King of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, I decided to sit back and watch what would happen. I made alliances with all the catholics, trade agreements. I ignored the Crusades instead I merely paid the Pope a bit more money. I also accepted every event that would improve my reputation. I made no aggressive actions to my neighbours, except the occasional wiping out of rebels *inside* my own borders. And I kept ending my turns. (To solve some monetary issues I found an "alien investor" (that is I cheated myself some money, just enough to keep a permanent surplus and see what happens))

What happened to my reputation is that it slowly crawled downwards. If I read the readme correctly this should not happen.

Gameplay Issues:

Construction times are *way* too slow and skewed, while troop growth is comparatively too fast.

Speaking of too slow. The scripts are too invasive. The system I play the game on isn't the fastest there is. But turns take ages too. It's almost falling asleep in front of the computer slow (this is actually the one thing I'm really negative about).

The positives:

Great work on the ancillaries and the events that increase your prestige. These truly give you a sense of playing a real kingdom.

Suggestions:

I didn't check for the possibillity of this myself, but once you have conquered a certain ammount of kingdoms, replace the kingdom titles with an overlapping title. After all, an aggressive expansionist could quite easilly hold the title of many regions.

Remove the cost for moving troops within the borders of your own nation. After all, it can be safely assumed that you planned all the logistics. This is especially usefull if you have conquered a large empire, or you start out with a very large provinces.

Reduce construction times of low tier facilities. Also reduce the rate at which troops replenish in your holdings and reduce the maximum troops available for training.

And one thing that would be really neat, perhaps a bit out of place in Total War, but not that hard to implement. Research.

With events one could easilly script the availabillity of certain units, the speed at which buildings are constructed, the speed at which units appear, and so on.

Well continue the good work.

END OF POST

Dingo

Russ Mitchell
02-13-2007, 16:19
Berengario: you have mail. I like your idea, and don't think it should be limited to western factions.

Re Berengario I
02-13-2007, 19:50
I've been playing the 0.93 version now for a couple of days, and there's a few things I have noticed. Besides a few bugs, there's also a gameplay issue.

Bugs that I have noticed:
Lack of some unit cards.
Some wrong pictures for resources.

Which ones? I didn't touched units and I only changed 2 resources.

What happened to my reputation is that it slowly crawled downwards. If I read the readme correctly this should not happen.

Reputation relies on so many factors, anyway from what you said you expanded aggressively at start so your reputation should have gone down, which in turn would have set some of your generals/family members prone to rebel, which in turn decreased even more your reputation. I'm not saying that this is what it happened but I had very little problem to stay in positive reputation if I wanted to. It's hard to be the king anyway :sweatdrop:

Construction times are *way* too slow and skewed, while troop growth is comparatively too fast.
And one thing that would be really neat, perhaps a bit out of place in Total War, but not that hard to implement. Research.
With events one could easilly script the availabillity of certain units, the speed at which buildings are constructed, the speed at which units appear, and so on.
Remove the cost for moving troops within the borders of your own nation. After all, it can be safely assumed that you planned all the logistics. This is especially usefull if you have conquered a large empire, or you start out with a very large provinces.

Building trees are to be revised not because they're slow but because they're too much "arcade-style" and I'm planning to have something similar to research but not exactly so deterministic... anyway it's the way I'm heading to.

About troops, raising troops weren't the problem in middle-age, the problem is to mantain them. Unfortunately the AI cannot disband, take in count this, so there's very few choices for a good system.

Basically your troops, if they stay in a settlement, cost you pretty to nothing, when you mobilized them to fight a rebel, invade a state etc then you'll have to pay, and pay a lot. This is realistic and pretty historical. Think about the troops in a settlement like "militar equipment" ready to be used (swords, armours, etc...) or, more realistically, vassals that you mantain.

Speaking of too slow. The scripts are too invasive. The system I play the game on isn't the fastest there is. But turns take ages too. It's almost falling asleep in front of the computer slow (this is actually the one thing I'm really negative about).

The positives:

Great work on the ancillaries and the events that increase your prestige. These truly give you a sense of playing a real kingdom.

I would like to own a Ferrari car paying it a couple of bucks :laugh4: Unfortunately everything comes at a price, I would like scripts wouldn't slow the game but since it's the only way to modify the game beside CA giving me the source code for free to mess with...

I didn't check for the possibillity of this myself, but once you have conquered a certain ammount of kingdoms, replace the kingdom titles with an overlapping title. After all, an aggressive expansionist could quite easilly hold the title of many regions.

It didn't work so historically. Talking about Danmark, the ruler dinasty there for long time was King of Denmark, King of Norway and King of Iceland, not Emperors of the Frozen North :yes:

Hross af Guttenburg
02-13-2007, 20:27
I think this mod is incredible, considering you are just two guys you have taken leaps and bounds and at the moment there are no real competitiors. I do get some ctds and some weird happenings like the HRE dying out within a couple of turns but the interactive decision making is excellent, a real success in making it feel like ruling a kingdom. The idea of lesser factions is absolutely perfect and the titles system has totally raised the quality of the original game. My only gripes are not the technical stuff at all but I would like to see some advanced start pos, I think Russia's cathedrals of 1080 are missed as well as a greater variety of units and troop types, at the moment the constant sets of militia and peasants is and villages and mottes and baileys seems dull and too much hard work.
But it is a challenge and very good fun, made me feel like a king!

Re Berengario I
02-13-2007, 21:03
I think this mod is incredible, considering you are just two guys you have taken leaps and bounds and at the moment there are no real competitiors. I do get some ctds and some weird happenings like the HRE dying out within a couple of turns but the interactive decision making is excellent, a real success in making it feel like ruling a kingdom. The idea of lesser factions is absolutely perfect and the titles system has totally raised the quality of the original game. My only gripes are not the technical stuff at all but I would like to see some advanced start pos, I think Russia's cathedrals of 1080 are missed as well as a greater variety of units and troop types, at the moment the constant sets of militia and peasants is and villages and mottes and baileys seems dull and too much hard work.
But it is a challenge and very good fun, made me feel like a king!

Thanks for the appreciation but I still don't realize the problems with the HRE disappearing.

I mean, HRE is really huge so it can't wiped out by rebellions in so few turns UNLESS the improbable eventuality of the dinasty being wiped out (the emperor and his 2 sons). But consider one thing, we're talking about HRE even if we should talk about the Salis-Hohenstaufen dinasty because if some other dinasty will conquer the 6 electoral provinces of the HRE they'll get the Emperor title (that's the good thing about using dinasties :2thumbsup: ).

I hope in future releases to include more dinasties (alas factions) so to increase the struggle for power and titles...

Hross af Guttenburg
02-14-2007, 18:47
Yes sorry, you are right the dynasty was wiped out in just a few turns and the provinces went rebel- it seems someone else here had the same thing happen with the Russian dynasty. Still its a minor thing really it didnt effect my enjoyment of the game.

I look forward to seeing more factions, and wonder if cities and dynasties might get more historical representation.

Great mod!

Re Berengario I
02-14-2007, 20:19
I look forward to seeing more factions, and wonder if cities and dynasties might get more historical representation.

I really hope so... sigh so much to do so little time, now I'm rewriting the troop rosters for all the factions.

Re Berengario I
02-19-2007, 05:59
After polishing up the scripts (as someone seemed to have problems with saved games created during the AI turns) I also started to redesign the unit rosters for the various faction.

Not just the stats are completely revised (used the system by PointBlank which really improves the gameplay and make armor upgrades really useful) but also a complete retexturing has been made.

Here's the first images:

FYRDMEN - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1080-1250

https://img187.imageshack.us/img187/7906/fyrdmen1kt2.th.jpg (https://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fyrdmen1kt2.jpg)

SAXON ARCHERS - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1080-1250

https://img257.imageshack.us/img257/6271/saxonarchers1mp7.th.jpg (https://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=saxonarchers1mp7.jpg)

NORMAN SPEARMEN - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1080-1250

https://img58.imageshack.us/img58/5981/normanspearmen1ls2.th.jpg (https://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=normanspearmen1ls2.jpg)

NORMAN SPEARMEN (2nd armor upgrade) - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1080-1250

https://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3088/normanspearmen3hn6.th.jpg (https://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=normanspearmen3hn6.jpg)

NORMAN SPEARMEN (3rd armor upgrade) - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1080-1250

https://img412.imageshack.us/img412/517/normanspearmen4xw0.th.jpg (https://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=normanspearmen4xw0.jpg)

Re Berengario I
02-22-2007, 21:31
Some new units:

SERJEANTS A' CHEVAL - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1080-1250
https://img85.imageshack.us/img85/1624/mountedserjeants1no0.jpg

NORMAN CHEVALIERS (2nd armor upgrade) - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1080-1250

https://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7392/normanchevaliers3rk4.jpg

Hross af Guttenburg
02-23-2007, 00:39
Impressive and promising.

Re Berengario I
02-23-2007, 20:24
MILITIA SPEARMEN - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1080-1250

https://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5099/militiaspearmen1gn9.jpg

Re Berengario I
02-24-2007, 02:28
Here's some battle scenes with a completely retextured (and with all new units) english-norman army. Damn I couldn't believe new textures would make so a big difference.

https://img341.imageshack.us/img341/703/englisharmy1li7.jpg
https://img341.imageshack.us/img341/1572/englisharmy2az5.jpg
https://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8708/englisharmy3vk7.jpg

Re Berengario I
02-25-2007, 05:04
MILITIA ARCHERS - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1080-1250

https://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4354/militiaarchers1zn6.jpg

phoenix[illusion]
02-25-2007, 21:22
textures are nice, but that are old textures, only changed color, so it is nothing new. What do you say about making new skins for units?

Re Berengario I
02-25-2007, 22:22
']textures are nice, but that are old textures, only changed color, so it is nothing new. What do you say about making new skins for units?

They are new skins, alas textures. Skins and textures are only color to be applied on the models. Nothing else.

To have something VERY different we have to wait someone who will create a tool to modify models. There are a couple of brave and willing guys who are working on it as CA won't release one (at least in short time) because of copyright problems with the 3d party tools (Granny) they used.

Unfortunately Granny is the bane of modding for a lot of new games: NWN2 for example has the exact same problem.

Re Berengario I
02-26-2007, 01:43
Here's a good example of new textures/skinning:

Vanilla English General and bodyguards
https://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9906/englishgeneralvanillanl0.jpg

Retextured "English" General and bodyguards
https://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2163/englisharmy5kz1.jpg

Hross af Guttenburg
02-27-2007, 12:12
Any more updates soon?
I'm looking forward to playing my saved games without them going CTD on loading

Re Berengario I
02-27-2007, 17:50
Any more updates soon?
I'm looking forward to playing my saved games without them going CTD on loading

Try to use this new campaign script http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1996&d=1171737478

It seems to have solved some of the problems with save games as it seems scripts don't save well using quicksave or saving during AI turns.

Hross af Guttenburg
02-28-2007, 21:02
Thank you for trying but, all the file did was to make it just CTD when I try to load even a completely new game now

Re Berengario I
02-28-2007, 23:01
Thank you for trying but, all the file did was to make it just CTD when I try to load even a completely new game now

Hmmm Could you please send me your system.log through PM or email?

Re Berengario I
03-02-2007, 20:16
KING'S BARONS (1st armor upgrade) - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1080-1250

https://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5871/kingsbarons2cd6.jpg

Omanes Alexandrapolites
03-02-2007, 20:28
Verry pretty :thumbsup:

It makes me wish I had M2:TW :stwshame:

Re Berengario I
03-02-2007, 23:38
ARMOURED SPEARMEN - Faction: House of Normandy-Anjou- Era: 1250-1350

https://img147.imageshack.us/img147/981/armoredspearmen1ov8.jpg

(Model to be modified as soon it'll possible)

Darkarbiter
03-05-2007, 06:35
So when is new version coming out(ish)? Like 2 months or weeks or? btw I am loving the new .93 graphics and events!

Re Berengario I
03-05-2007, 13:49
New skins will take more than 2 months (expecially if the great guys who're working on a mesh import/export plugin will succeed... not just the skins will be changed :yes: ).

For the rest I'm already planned most of the new building trees and I am eagerly await the CA patch to work on the new units.

@Darkabiter

I PRETEND a new AAR with 0.93:whip: I'm so curious on what it will happen :laugh4:

Darkarbiter
03-06-2007, 06:59
New skins will take more than 2 months (expecially if the great guys who're working on a mesh import/export plugin will succeed... not just the skins will be changed :yes: ).

For the rest I'm already planned most of the new building trees and I am eagerly await the CA patch to work on the new units.

@Darkabiter

I PRETEND a new AAR with 0.93:whip: I'm so curious on what it will happen :laugh4:
Heh well someone else is using Anno Domini 2 (at rtr forums). That makes Anno Domini the most populer m2tw AAR mod at RTR forums! Congrats!

gillock
03-09-2007, 14:33
Hi,
I've just downloaded and run the mod but it seems to me this is the same as regular MTW2 I'm not getting any of the new maps etc....I'm a bit of a novice to this kinda thing so any help would be most welcome

Gil

Re Berengario I
03-09-2007, 18:17
Hi,
I've just downloaded and run the mod but it seems to me this is the same as regular MTW2 I'm not getting any of the new maps etc....I'm a bit of a novice to this kinda thing so any help would be most welcome

Gil

Do you start the game using the LaunchAnnoDomini batch file?

gillock
03-11-2007, 01:22
Yeah sorry.....just realised.
Although once I get past the year 1090 it becomes unstable and I have problems with it crashing which is a shame cos it's a graet mod.

Gil

adembroski
03-11-2007, 22:03
Just want to say I positively love this mod. Among the best I've come across, conceptually and in practice. It makes creative use of features with limited usefulness (case in point: the advice system) to add depth, and in turn, immersion. The apparently aesthetic change of your role being that of a bloodline rather than the immortal "God of England" seems to lend more credibility to the campaign game. It is amazing what has been accomplished on this mod in so little time since M2's release.

As advertised, when playing this, I feel like I'm running a kingdom, not just raising troops for the next fight. Positively brilliant.

EVERY modder should download this if only to see what's possible, and how quickly it can be done.

Re Berengario I
03-12-2007, 11:16
:bow: Thanks for the appreciative words mate.

Every advice is always welcomed too!

Ignoramus
03-13-2007, 02:07
This looks interesting. How complete is the mod?

Also, can someone give me a slightly more detailed overview of the mod? Thanks.

Re Berengario I
03-13-2007, 19:13
This looks interesting. How complete is the mod?

Intresting question. I'd say about 50% is done right now even if I know the 100% will never be reached because about every day I find out something else to add or modify.

Also, can someone give me a slightly more detailed overview of the mod? Thanks.

There's a complete feature list with screenshots in the download section of these subforums.

Ignoramus
03-13-2007, 22:24
May I suggest that you give Norman Spearmen a sword? They used spears to start with, but in the thick of the battle they switched to their swords.

nikolai1962
03-14-2007, 02:51
textures are nice, but that are old textures, only changed color,

A bit of colour can make a lot of difference imo.

Really like the sound of this mod. Currently can't bring myself to copy the MTW2 folder as my hard drive is still full of about 12 copies of RTW but i'm having to fight the urge. Good stuff.

vonsch
03-15-2007, 19:44
Okay, Re Beren, giving it a spin. After poking around in it a bit, checking out different factions starts, etc.

I like the slow pace mixed with more management issues. The cost of things relative to income is interesting, and the maintenance issues relative to distance encourage feudalish behavior on the part of armies. For example, I've decided that I will build a small fast Portuguese (mainly jinette) army and beat up on the local rebels for experience with small raids that won't last more than one turn in the field. That also will let me build up general loyalty (I hope). From there work my way up to seiges, though hoping I can attrit the rebels in advance that way too.

One thing that concerns me is the rate of random traits. I think those need trimming back substantially. I looked at the trait file earlier, but didn't really study it. I'm not too concerned with things the player has SOME control over, but concerned about those that are just based on random triggers. If the percentages remain what they are in vanilla, or close, they will come a bit fast for the slow pace of this mod. Again, I don't mind if I can control them with my generals' activities (sitting in a castle versus in the field, using up mps, etc.) The importance of generals as more than army leaders is higher in this mod, it appears, so those traits are more significant. I'm not crazy with seeing them pop up in the first 5 turns on more than one general.

Okay, looking at the file, there's a random chance of the corrupt trait test that's 80% per turn of a chance 1. I've gotten 2 cases of it on 3 generals in about 10 turns played. It may just be bad luck, but, as I said, I don't much like pure random traits. It does make sense to have some that are "acts of god," but those arising from behavior are better tied to the general's (or player's) actual behavior. I can see tying it to accepting a bribe, and a small chance at coming of age or adoption. Even inheritance/role model. And your special events too.

Giving is the generous trait. I see a lot of ways to pick that up that are player-choice based. My comment then remains that I think those sorts of traits are a bit too likely based on the turns per year ratio. I had 2 of 3 generals pick that up in the first 5 turns on two separate starts.

Heh, have to get used to the naming. Took a bit before "Borgonha" ticked into place for me and I speak Portuguese. Oh! House of Burgundy! Going to be more aha moments. A jpg map would be a nice addition to the archive once things are firmed up. Until the player is used to the period/native naming, it's pretty disorienting. I messed with Milan a bit and had no idea what Sicily had morphed into. So the mission to contact them drew a complete blank. Then their princess walked up to Rome. ~;) Mystery solved.

I love the naming, however, don't misunderstand me on that point. And the dynastic thrust versus "countries." Does inheritance work? Is there are point to arranging lots of marriages? I married Portugal's heir to Urraca, but that was for the alliance and quick kids more than a hope for a claim. But inheritance of that sort would be sweet and interesting. It would lead to taking some risks and holding off marriage with princesses and heirs in the hopes of setting up a peaceful "coup."

The turn updates are long at turn 1, which is scary. They aren't apt to get shorter. But relatively speaking they will get shorter as one grows one's holdings, so may be bearable. I do understand why they are long. Just commenting on the feel of it.

Oh, a comment on English grammar/word choice: "+1 from popularity" is misleading. Better to use "+1 to popularity" as that works equally well with "-1 to popularity." "From" really only works okay with negative numbers, but even there it's not quite right. I understand you're working with English as a non-native speaker, so this is just meant as a help for clarity. I can accept different usage where it doesn't really bear on substance... like "mobilitate" ~;). I'm sure I do the same in Portuguese and Spanish often. Those even make me think about the word in new ways, which I enjoy.

More comments as they occur to me.

Re Berengario I
03-15-2007, 21:02
Random traits work the same as in Vanilla despite the different turns/years because named characters live the same number of turns. With 2 turns/year they live for a "natural" amount of years while in Vanilla they were almost immortal.

Sincerely some bit of randomization is needed but I also notice that there could be something strange with chances.

I have to trust though that CA code produces reliable percentages and chances otherway we could throw the game out the window.
80% of a 1% chance should give 0.8% and if you see the log on how ancillaries are acquired (you can see the random roll there) I'd say it works.

I think here plays the theory that strange patterns are a lot easier to remember than normal patterns so they seems a lot far common than what they really are.

About the hereditary thing I fear it's something CA didn't code even if you can see foreign named characters in your family tree when you marry away one of your princesses to another faction leader or heir.

"+1 from popularity" is a CA thing, blame those aussies, mobilitate is mine though :P

vonsch
03-15-2007, 21:23
Random traits work the same as in Vanilla despite the different turns/years because named characters live the same number of turns. With 2 turns/year they live for a "natural" amount of years while in Vanilla they were almost immortal.

Sincerely some bit of randomization is needed but I also notice that there could be something strange with chances.

I have to trust though that CA code produces reliable percentages and chances otherway we could throw the game out the window.
80% of a 1% chance should give 0.8% and if you see the log on how ancillaries are acquired (you can see the random roll there) I'd say it works.

I think here plays the theory that strange patterns are a lot easier to remember than normal patterns so they seems a lot far common than what they really are.

I am a bit concerned that their random number generation isn't all that solid, based on some testing. But we can't do much about that.

And it may just be bad luck with the cases I saw. I haven't played enough to really know yet, that was a first impression. I do know vanilla has some issues though (and you fixed a couple of my least favorites, I see, like bad taxman!)

About the hereditary thing I fear it's something CA didn't code even if you can see foreign named characters in your family tree when you marry away one of your princesses to another faction leader or heir.

We had that in MTW, I think. Not that it mattered often. Would have been a nice twist.

Looks like you took out the benefits of marrying a charming princess though. My heir didn't get "wife is whatever" as they do in vanilla. Results in greater fertility. Most of the princess stuff is wasted in any case. They just don't "happen" often enough as it stands. A couple adoptions leaves room for 2 kids, and at least one is apt to be a boy. That's 1 princess per generation in about average. That's a lot fewer than generals. Don't understand why CA spent all that effort on princess traits when they rarely are significant in play.

Now, if they'd thrown in more Lamarkian passing along of traits from both parents... And given us a few more princesses... Then we could be breeding real generals.

"+1 from popularity" is a CA thing, blame those aussies, mobilitate is mine though :P

Darned Aussies! I thought it was you because it's not consistent. And I saw it on a title you added. (Think the one for Zenova.)

Re Berengario I
03-15-2007, 22:02
Looks like you took out the benefits of marrying a charming princess though. My heir didn't get "wife is whatever" as they do in vanilla. Results in greater fertility.

Princesses have expanded traits in AD, a lot more deep and consistent than Vanilla.

AD has traits for both named characters and princesses designed upon the seven deadly sins (do you remember the "Seven" movie? Those ones) and the seven heavenly virtues. Those traits are very close to the medieval mentality and they replace most of the CA original ones as some of them seemed really out of place in a medieval setting.

If you marry a "vicious" princess you could have really nasty sons (and other nasty effects). Have a look at them in EDCT ;)

vonsch
03-15-2007, 22:08
Princesses have expanded traits in AD, a lot more deep and consistent than Vanilla.

AD has traits for both named characters and princesses designed upon the seven deadly sins (do you remember the "Seven" movie? Those ones) and the seven heavenly virtues. Those traits are very close to the medieval mentality and they replace most of the CA original ones as some of them seemed really out of place in a medieval setting.

If you marry a "vicious" princess you could have really nasty sons (and other nasty effects). Have a look at them in EDCT ;)

Yes, I saw the additions of the 7s. But didn't realize that the vanilla charm trigger for fertility was gone. Not a big deal, just an observation.

Re Berengario I
03-15-2007, 22:36
Yes, I saw the additions of the 7s. But didn't realize that the vanilla charm trigger for fertility was gone. Not a big deal, just an observation.

Fertility is there but it's not linked to just one trait but to both health and behavioural traits. A "lusty" woman can bring you some headaches but also more children for example.

vonsch
03-15-2007, 22:56
CTD trying to load from an autosave, but that's probably a CA bug. Or maybe not, won't load it from a restart either. Haven't seen this before.

Can load an earlier quicksave fine.

Re Berengario I
03-15-2007, 23:18
Don't use autosave, MTW2 corrupts savegames when it saves during script execution. I already have uploaded in the AD subforum on TWC a new campaign_script file which disables saving during the execution of some scripts with long durations (like the movement ones).

The best advice is to save often and on your turn when you're ready to press the next turn button.

vonsch
03-16-2007, 03:59
I note that the banquet bill ends up as a negative income, rather than an expense. Seems odd. Makes the financial overview confusing. It does seem to factor into the diplomacy/tribute income from my calculation. When I saw that negative I wondered what on earth was going on.

I see England as "House of Normandy-Anjou" on the diplomatic overview, but the towns are "Plantagenet towns." Is this intended?

And my Portugee are "Afonsine towns" but it's "House of Borgonha-Afonsina." Meanwhile, Spain is "Town of House of Jimenez-Borgona" on the town and "House of Jiminez-Borgona" on the overview (better match, but inconsistent phrasing with "town of..." versus "... town"). Lots more examples.

I know, I know, "consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds." So, I have a small mind. I can learn it and live with it, but
it's a bit confusing to the player who hasn't learned the connections.

Re Berengario I
03-16-2007, 10:18
it's a bit confusing to the player who hasn't learned the connections.

The names are accurate (with the limits of the game), the descriptions are consinstent with the terms most widely used in historical texts (like Borgonha-Afonsina and Normandy-Anjou as dinasties and afonsine and plantagenet as adjectives) and the "links" to be understood are half of the fun of every game based on REAL history and not fantasy middle-age.

For example is house of Normandy-Anjou because with the death of Henri I, son of William the Conqueror, there was a civil war (once of the many) from which the daughter of Henry I, Mathilde (also called Empress Maud) emerged as the winner. She was married with Geoffrey, Count of Anjou, who was nicknamed "Plantagenet" from the broom flower which he took as his emblem, hence the name of the line of English kings descended from him.

So the english royal dinasty from that moment on was technically House of Normandy-Anjou and the term "plantagenet" was used to refer the english kings.

Wikipedia is your friend and anyway there's always FPS to play with if historical games are confusing.

Incongruous
03-16-2007, 11:32
Perhaps you might simply name them so and so Plantagenet?

vonsch
03-16-2007, 17:19
Wikipedia is your friend and anyway there's always FPS to play with if historical games are confusing.

Now, Re, if you want to insult people testing your mod, you're going to end up with few testers and players. I SAID I can handle it. And I'm not ignorant of history, just not a medieval specialist (and my specialty is literature anyway). I don't recall ever reading of it referred to as "Normandy-Anjou." As House Plantagenet, yes. That's not to say I have a bullet-proof memory.

So the english royal dinasty from that moment on was technically House of Normandy-Anjou and the term "plantagenet" was used to refer the english kings.

While we're doing searches, try searching on "dinasty."

Oh, and for the record, Wikipedia on "normandy-anjou." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=normandy-anjou&go=Go) Now try searching under "Plantagenet" and tell me which is considered "standard."

I suspect your position on this derives from history books written in other than English. "I've heard "House of Anjou" on occasion, but don't recall "Normandy-Anjou," even if that's arguably the technically correct form. When I alpha-tested Hundred Years War some decade or so ago, I believe it was Plantagenet there, but may have been "of Anjou."

And if you're arguing for using the original, why "House of Borgonha-Afonsina?" Since when is "House of" Portuguese?

I just checked the only history I have close to hand, Seward's "The Hundred Years War." That's a bit late in the period, but "Normandy-Anjou" isn't referenced at all. It uses Plantagenet. Mostly neither though. The royalty is referred by Christian names on the whole. The one history of medieval Spain I have (Joeseph F. O'Callghan) doesn't bring up either. But it uses "Burgundian Dynasty" for Borgonha-Afonsina.

\
My point stands. It's confusing because of the use of two different terms in two different places. English is very unshy about turning nouns into adjectives and vice versa. Picking one is completely acceptable. History mostly has picked one. I'm not bringing this up because I don't like the names you chose, only because I found the use of multiple different names confusing. My recommendation is pick one, stick with it.

If you're okay with creating confusion with your player-base, let it stand.

My comment was meant as constructive criticism based on my experience of the game, which I believe you have been requesting. If you'd prefer that I don't pass along feedback, say so. I can stop.

I like the concept of the mod, a lot. I'm just trying to help you polish it.

Re Berengario I
03-16-2007, 18:38
My point stands.

(...)

My comment was meant as constructive criticism

If we're discussing here to have a point, take all the points you want.

My mod isn't a tesis on medieval naming conventions otherway I'd use latin titles like "Henricus, Anglorum Rex, Normandiae Dux, Andecavis Comites" which was the actual title of the plantagenet kings (like Henry II) on official documents of the time.

Would that be less confusing? I don't think so.

It's a bit confusing because in MTW2 we have to give dinasties more than a name both because the time-span is a huge (otherway I'd just stick with the House of Normandy of William the Conqueror, who wasn't a plantagenet or angevin at all) while I'd try to use adjectives where adjectives could be used (like with armies, towns, and fleet).

Actually both the titles and the adjectives are pretty consinstent even if they're different. I'd use Army of House of Normandy-Anjou if the term "plantagenet" wouldn't exist, but since it existed I used it because it sounds a lot better than the first. To be historically more correct every army, fleet, or town would have a local name like "Army of the Duchy of Normandie", "Fleet of the City of Calais", etc but it would result in a greater mess (if it would feasible at all in MTW2, which I doubt).

In middle age there were about 3 different Burgundian dinasties, the burgundian one, which was a branch of the capetians, the castillan one and the portoguese one. That's why using Burgundian just for the portoguese one is confusing. It would not be if it would be a game encompassing just Portugal, but MTW2 is not.

vonsch
03-16-2007, 19:22
All, true, Re. You made the argument that "Normandy-Anjou" was more correct or accepted or something. I simply pointed out the holes in that. But that wasn't my original thrust anyway.

I've said, and re-iterate, use whatever name you like. My only issue is and was that the lack of consistency in the same faction's naming on the diplomatic overview and the towns is confusing to me (that much is fact) and in my opinion will also be to many or most others.

I agree that the proliferation of Burgundian dynasties is confusing. Was then too. I wasn't suggesting you make the Portuguese dynasty "Burgundian." I was simply pointing out that that's the modern reference to that dynasty. And pointing out the inconsistency of your position on authenticity with using some Portuguese spelling mixed in with some English. (And, again, the confusion generated by using one term for the towns, another for the faction "name.")

But I leave it to you. It's your mod.

adembroski
03-16-2007, 19:39
Jeez... can we agree that both are more acceptable, within the structure of this mod, than "England", and leave it at that?

Re Berengario I
03-16-2007, 23:59
Hear, I know there are inconsistencies, some are the best compromise we can achieve as we cannot modify how the program works, just the data it uses.

A lot worse inconsistency is the name of the towns, where I did try to use how the city is named by its inhabitants of the time, but of course it did come out very far from perfect (always better than the english names as Adembroski pointed out though).

Summin' it all, I'd like to have all the names, titles and so forth in latin for the occidental lands, greek for the lands of the "byzantine" commonwealth and arab for the islamic lands.

I can, with some faults, cover the first two but I'm really at a loss on the third, especially as I'd have to transliterate the words.

It would have a lot more consinstency all around and would really smell of Middle Age. It would freak out a lot of players I fear though.

adembroski
03-17-2007, 02:37
Hear, I know there are inconsistencies, some are the best compromise we can achieve as we cannot modify how the program works, just the data it uses.

A lot worse inconsistency is the name of the towns, where I did try to use how the city is named by its inhabitants of the time, but of course it did come out very far from perfect (always better than the english names as Adembroski pointed out though).

Summin' it all, I'd like to have all the names, titles and so forth in latin for the occidental lands, greek for the lands of the "byzantine" commonwealth and arab for the islamic lands.

I can, with some faults, cover the first two but I'm really at a loss on the third, especially as I'd have to transliterate the words.

It would have a lot more consinstency all around and would really smell of Middle Age. It would freak out a lot of players I fear though.

I see the future here... once I release this DL mod someone's gonna be upset at it's execution. That's worse than the real world... cannon vs. non-cannon, I'm going to get a DL fan that doesn't like the books I chose to be my prime source material and he's going to go off on me... but I think I'm the type that'll just say "then make your own damn mod" and be done with it.

Djurre
03-17-2007, 16:29
Is AD the most played mod for mtw2 at the moment?

i find it rather difficult to get an idea of what the community as a whole is up to. i was playing RTR for over a year when i found out about europa barbarorum, wich was being run by the founders of rtr, and is a far better mod. I dont want to make that mistake again.

Re Berengario I
03-17-2007, 17:19
I don't know if AD is the most played mod at the moment, it's one of the most downloaded for sure and if you liked the gameplay of EB I think, but I can biased here so everyone is free to contradict me, that the gameplay of AD could suit your tastes.

Hross af Guttenburg
03-19-2007, 01:24
Since there seems to be an informal open forum here, Berengar, may I ask (rather than infer criticism) what your reasons were for not including Sweden and Norway as factions, in particular. Although the point stands with any lesser faction really.

I think it can be argued that even if the actual existence of those particular factions at the game start date was a bit rocky, they did exist in a recognisable form and continued to be very important in later history.

Obviously you have automatically handled the issue of smaller factions by the use of the rebels, which is quite satisfactory- indeed rather enjoyable, but still I was wondering how the choice on playable factions had been made. Cheers

Re Berengario I
03-19-2007, 09:05
Since there seems to be an informal open forum here, Berengar, may I ask (rather than infer criticism) what your reasons were for not including Sweden and Norway as factions, in particular.

The main reason is because I still not added any new faction.

There will be new factions in future, probably when all the rest of the gameplay will be almost settled down, and yes, I already have in mind which they will and no, I won't open a discussion about them.

Still the crowns of Norway and Sweden are already in. AD is using dinasties not countries which really didn't exist in middle-age as we intend them today (Kalmar Union a brilliant example of it).

Djurre
03-20-2007, 01:15
considering the enormous loading times, adding extra factions would be a killer for the low°end pc users among us.

btw, because the titles count as retinue additions, they are limited to a number of 8 total. If they were to be vices/virtues, the number of available titles to a king would not be limited. rights?

Re Berengario I
03-20-2007, 01:22
I'm not really sure about it because right now rebels are subfactions both in complexity than size so I don't think it would have an enormous performance hit transforming most of them in regular factions, actually it could even speed some things up.

IrishArmenian
03-20-2007, 05:12
The Middle Ages smelled like dead pigs, rotten meat and severed appendiges.
I hate all of those smells, let alone all of those together. However, I love Anno Domini.

PseRamesses
03-20-2007, 14:35
@ Re Berengario I & mod team:
Love the work that has gone in to this mod so far. Europe is really portrayed well but sine you´re closing in on the province limit my question is: Why are the Levant, Fatmid- and Moor-holdings and Africa still so badly portrayed? Are u going to correct this in future releases? Now they are just marginal fotnotes. Thx in advance!

Re Berengario I
03-20-2007, 15:15
@Djurre

Royal titles will stay as ancillaries because I want a limit to them.

@PseRamesses

Badly portrayed? Corrections?

Which, what and, most important, why? Generic affirmations doesn't help me at all.

Take in count that there are also limits and choices have to be made.

PseRamesses
03-20-2007, 22:50
@PseRamesses
Badly portrayed? Corrections?
Which, what and, most important, why? Generic affirmations doesn't help me at all.
Take in count that there are also limits and choices have to be made.

Sorry if I seemed ambigous (sp?). I meant province distributions. Central Europe is littered with provinces but not much has been altered from Gibralatar to Baghdad.

Re Berengario I
03-21-2007, 03:52
Because there weren't so many cities and populations as in Central Europe.

PseRamesses
03-21-2007, 15:19
Because there weren't so many cities and populations as in Central Europe.
In some parts of the mentioned area I agree with your statement but this is weakening the Fatmids and Moors in gameplay and that´s what I´m talking about here. When it comes to the Fatmids sphere on the map atleast one settlement should be added in lower Egypt, one more in the delta area, atleast two more in the Levant area. In reality the Fatmids could field huge numbers of troops. Also their trade incomes from middle Africa, Africas horn and India isn´t in the game since the map doesn´t cover it, same with the Turks eastern trade revenues. Therefore they have to be compensated for it in other ways, maybee a new trade-structure could compensate for this or a bolstered internal trade revenue.

Re Berengario I
03-21-2007, 17:06
I don't add settlements because Fatimids need troops, I add settlements if they existed and were historically relevant more than others.

Other mods look at faction balance, AD looks at a historical perspective, within the limit of the engine and the number of provinces we could play with.

For example the only relevant settlement that could be added in the delta of Nile is Damietta, which was more a fortress than a huge bustling city though.

If I'll have a free slot I'll add it, if there will be more relevant settlements to add elsewhere I won't despite Fatimids gameplay or whatelse.

In reality Fatimids could muster a huge number of troops when they were able to reconquer the syrian lands. Before this (which happened at Sal'al'din times) they were kicked repeatedly in the butt by a bunch of crusaders.

Turks have their eastern owning (look just how much money Tabriz could create) and also Alexandria is one of the richest city in the map and usually Fatimids is one of the richest faction in my games.

PseRamesses
03-21-2007, 21:38
I don't add settlements because Fatimids need troops, I add settlements if they existed and were historically relevant more than others.
Do what you want, it´s your mod. My statements are not critisism mere suggestions. There is no arguing that a vital part of the Fatmid sphere of interest and source of incomes are not present due to the limit of the strat-map. This is why I think they should be compensated for this in some way.

Other mods look at faction balance, AD looks at a historical perspective, within the limit of the engine and the number of provinces we could play with.
Hmm, this is not quite true m8. Ex: you have several settlements, like in Scandinavia, that was so small (1-3000 people) that I easily could find 50 settlements in other places that was far more significant than some dirthole in the north. (Remember, I´m Swedish and have an extensive knowledge of this area) All I´m suggesting is historical balance, nothing more.

That Tabriz and Alexandria makes a lot of money is IMHO not sufficent enough for the Turkish "abscence" of half their lands and the trade revenues there from. Same thing with the Fatmids. In this regard the Moors are better off.

Re Berengario I
03-21-2007, 21:55
My reply wasn't a response to criticism.

I just affirmed the logic behind the AD mod, because other mods have different logics (not worse or better, just different, to not be misunderstood).

I think people need to know things clearly before playing :D.

About the size of settlements in the current version of AD they weren't correctly balanced and researched.

And significance also means historical or strategical significance. For example Asqalon (or Ascalon in english) was just a hole in the desert but very important to close the Palestine from Fatimids attacks from the south.

You don't know how much I would like to have a huger map with Persia in and 400 provinces to play with. But because this is not possibile until I'll manage to corrupt some CA developer I have to make some choices.

In the upcoming version I reached the province limit (mostly put in middle east btw ;)) and still I'm very unsatisfied because I would like to have put into some others but I wouldn't like to take out others ones.

So compromises are needed, and compromises are always questionable otherway they wouldn't be compromises.

Hross af Guttenburg
03-22-2007, 00:08
If you are discussing historical accuracy and relevance and in regards to the north then Jelling, Gotland and Kongahella are drastically in need of placing here, arguably even Kalmar too to represent the Swedish south and the importance of Öland in the early era. I would even suggest units for the north, but the mod seems to be a closed project.

Several settlements, not just those in the north, but for example in Russia and Britain, are completely under-represented. Geographical inconsistencies also abound. As regards relevant or accurate provinces, the whole of the Americas as is, is a joke. Iceland and the Hebrides are notably lacking however, but since several relevant factions do not exist beyond 'rebels' this is perhaps not an issue.

I'm afriad I'm inclined to agree with Rameses. However, I am aware that the perfect game is very difficult to acheive and that is why there are perhaps 10 mods right now that exist in order to present the 'true historical accuracy' and end up being just one angle of it. Not even CA with all their resources could pull it off, and this was supposed to be the TW game that would really listen to the fans and aim at the fans as their public, modders being foremost among them. It is easy to criticise and much harder to produce a mod.

Re Berengario I
03-22-2007, 00:51
:laugh4: The perfect game cannot exist. I know that some lands in north are missing, actually a lot of settlements, cities, lands, provinces and neighbourhoods are missing everywhere.

Plus we're playing with history not with a static situation otherway, just for example, in 1080 Florence was slightly more than a little village while Lucca was the main city of Tuscany, after Pisa.

But then we now know what Florence did become and so we cannot keep it out of the list while Lucca is out because it remained just a little town, not very significative outside the local borders.

In MTW2 we cannot create new settlements, we cannot modify province borders, etc...
We have to play a dinamic situation with a static instrument. Live with it guys and have the most fun you can.

jibosan
03-22-2007, 01:24
Try to use this new campaign script http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1996&d=1171737478

It seems to have solved some of the problems with save games as it seems scripts don't save well using quicksave or saving during AI turns.
hello. wonderful mod, best i've played including the rome total war mods. also experiencing CTD with "m2tw encountered an unspecified error and will now exit" error message.

i suspect it may have been an attempt to save in the middle of an extended AI pause between turns. i downloaded the link provided on this thread for a new campaign script (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1996&d=1171737478) with no success.

also seems that although i am able to open the game if i go back enough turns, once i save a new file, regardless how many turns later, it creates a CTD situation the next time i try to load that saved file.

very odd CTD situation, i've not seen in a couple years of playing this series.
do you good folks know how i can correct this?

thanks in advance.

JIBO

Re Berengario I
03-22-2007, 02:31
@jibosan

It's a problem with MTW2 that corrupts savegame created during the execution of a script.

In the next version I disabled saving while the execution of some scipt but you can already doing it saving at the end of your turn while you're ready to press the next turn button.

jibosan
03-22-2007, 03:26
@jibosan

It's a problem with MTW2 that corrupts savegame created during the execution of a script.

In the next version I disabled saving while the execution of some scipt but you can already doing it saving at the end of your turn while you're ready to press the next turn button.
thanks for the quick response. by "next verision", are you referring to the next version of the mod? i presume that's out out for download yet?

is there anything i can do to fix the problem now that i have a corrupt save situation? does the save corruption affect only that turn? do i need to go back for than 2 turns in order to get to a non-corrupt save?

peace,

JIBO

Re Berengario I
03-22-2007, 11:00
Yes, next version of the mod and it won't be released very soon as I'm waiting (as everyone :P) for the CA patch.

Corrupted savegames cannot be used I fear, I don't have any other advice for the past anyway as I never experienced that problem but a corrupted savegame doesn't even load so if you have one save that loads, use that one and from there on save when you're ready to hit next turn and you shouldn't have problems (hopefully).

jibosan
03-22-2007, 20:40
Yes, next version of the mod and it won't be released very soon as I'm waiting (as everyone :P) for the CA patch.

Corrupted savegames cannot be used I fear, I don't have any other advice for the past anyway as I never experienced that problem but a corrupted savegame doesn't even load so if you have one save that loads, use that one and from there on save when you're ready to hit next turn and you shouldn't have problems (hopefully).
yeah, that's the part that puzzles me. the corrupted ones don't load, that's for sure. but the twist is that even when i am able to load a previous game and save before the turn ends, i get the same error if i leave the game and return. mind you, i can play as long as i want while in session, but the second i leave and try to reload, CTD!!

oh well, guess i'll start fresh - been wanting to try out the sicilians anyway.

peace out.

JIBO

PseRamesses
03-23-2007, 07:58
My reply wasn't a response to criticism.
I just affirmed the logic behind the AD mod, because other mods have different logics (not worse or better, just different, to not be misunderstood).
I think people need to know things clearly before playing :D.
About the size of settlements in the current version of AD they weren't correctly balanced and researched.
And significance also means historical or strategical significance. For example Asqalon (or Ascalon in english) was just a hole in the desert but very important to close the Palestine from Fatimids attacks from the south.
You don't know how much I would like to have a huger map with Persia in and 400 provinces to play with. But because this is not possibile until I'll manage to corrupt some CA developer I have to make some choices.
In the upcoming version I reached the province limit (mostly put in middle east btw ;)) and still I'm very unsatisfied because I would like to have put into some others but I wouldn't like to take out others ones.
So compromises are needed, and compromises are always questionable otherway they wouldn't be compromises.

I well aware of the game limits and I do strongly approve of the AD´s logic. IMHO this is by far the most realistic and best mod this far with the M2-engine.
Regarding settlements it has always been a tuggle between gameplay and historical realism and personally I´m all for the later. There are significant reasons why certain empires and kingdoms survived while others died out. It´s not good gameplay to give a lesser faction starting abilities to become something they never could in real life. EX: Denmark in vanilla M2. That´s up to the player to make.
Since half the Turkish and many Fatmid settlements are not presented in gameplay due to the restricted map I strongly recommend you to implement some kind of trade structure, like the Silk road in RTW. This could also be implemented in the Moors who are missing out on all the sub-saharan and African trade revenues.

Sidenote: Stockholm wasn´t founded until 1250ad by Birger Jarl. A more realistic and accurate settlement for this region would be either Uppsala or Linköping, personally I´d prefer Linköping. Furthermore one of the most important settlements in the Baltic sea region was Visby on the island Gotland (the large island S.E of Stockholm) a hugely important trade-hub.
In this timeperiod "Sweden" didn´t exsist. Three major families/ kings struggled back and forward for power. One in West Götaland around Skara, the other in East Götaland around Linköping and the last in Svealand (north) around Uppsala (or Ubsola).
On a personal note neither Oslo, any of the "swedish" settlements except Lund and Helsiniki shouldn´t even be in this game at all. I´d rather add the hugely important Danish settlement of Roskilde on the island of Sjaelland.

Hross af Guttenburg
03-25-2007, 23:39
Isn't the Swedish capital set as Uppsala in this mod? I agree with Wisby and Roskilde, and if a silk road concept was in place what about setting up the Hanseatic league as a guild house for north sea and Baltic settlements?

Don't agree with Oslo, it did exist as did Bergen, and became more influential in time. But if it was me I would separate that area of Norge into Ostfold and Westfold. Anyway, I'm sure these suggestions are not going to effect the mod so....

Re Berengario I
03-26-2007, 17:25
Not Stockolm nor Helsinski are in AD.

PseRamesses
03-27-2007, 13:22
Not Stockolm nor Helsinski are in AD.
Yup, my bad. I just saw the provs in the descr_strat file. Sorry.

Vlad The Impaler
03-27-2007, 13:46
i downloaded 0.92 version from filefront
but, how do i install this?
thanks

PseRamesses
03-27-2007, 14:56
@Re Berengario,
1. How does the rebel spawn rate work? I noticed in descr-strat that the rate for both brigands and pirates are set at 999!!! OMG! I changed it back to the vanilla level but nothing happens?! In my current game as the Byzantines I´ve played for 30 years and I´ve fought 66 pitched battles against half- and full stack rebel-armies plus atleast 30 or so against smaller bands that I just auto-calculated. This is a nightmare! Is the spawn-rate scripted in some way? Is there anyway for me to edit it to a level that I feel is more realistic?
2. So the construction time for buildings is doubled, cost has doubled and growth-rates are half of the vanilla right? I find this, in most cases, very realistic but some buildings like some houses should be buildable faster. Is it really realistic that it takes 2 years to build a town watch and 4 years to upgrade it to the next level etc??? I can accept a prolonged build time for a harbour, city walls and defences, churches, farm upgrades etc.
3. Shouldn´t some defence structure also be able to add to the security and hapiness of the settlements inhabitants? Personally I´d feel more secure and happy living behind Constantinoples massive fortifications than if it had a wooden palisade, wouldn´t you?
4. The event "forgotten claim" does what? It has happened on numerous occasions but nothing happens and no information is accessable in the game.

Sidenote:
Are there any scripts regarding Byzans hold of Trapezous and Antiokeia? In 1109 Antiokeia´s loyalty went from 105% to 0%. No heretics, or spies that I can detect and my religion was at 65%. Any explanation?

Re Berengario I
03-27-2007, 15:09
@Vlad The Impaler: you just have to run the exe and select a folder where a MTW2 Vanilla installation (completed with the latest patch) is.

@PseRamesses: first of all you should read the readme. Rebel spawns should stay at 999 because they're all scripted and linked to your global reputation.
Walls give bonus to happiness (the same as in Vanilla).
Antioch is far from your capital so its loyalty plummets down and you have to work a lot to avoid it to rebel (strangely it's what happened in history after Manzikert).
Building times are the same, in years, than vanilla but their cost is x4 just like your income is x4.

Vlad The Impaler
03-27-2007, 15:23
hm
it seems that what i have downloaded is not an .exe:oops:

Re Berengario I
03-27-2007, 16:08
hm
it seems that what i have downloaded is not an .exe:oops:

The exe file is inside the rar file (which is a compressed file like a zip, use winrar or others compatible programs to open it).

Vlad The Impaler
03-27-2007, 16:24
i guess i downloaded something else because i dont find any exe inside.
the folder is named ADO92

Re Berengario I
03-27-2007, 17:20
i guess i downloaded something else because i dont find any exe inside.
the folder is named ADO92

You downloaded the older version.

Djurre
03-30-2007, 00:33
Perhaps an update on what's to be expected?

Re Berengario I
03-30-2007, 10:58
Perhaps an update on what's to be expected?

A complete redesign of the buildings and the units ;)

shoobrawca
03-30-2007, 14:11
Firs of all I have to say that your mod finally made the Medieval 2 worth playing. THANKS!

But I have a few suggestions about Poland:

1. Think about adding Masovia region, with a capital town named Plock, it should be placed north to Krakow. From 1079 to 1138 Plock was the capital of Piast’s kingdom, so I assume it is pretty important town and region.
2. There should be “Zbigniew Piast”, not “Zbigniew Piastów”
3. The Magdeburg region should not reach so far into Poland territory, I think it should end on Odra river.
4. Wroclaw (Breslau} was surely under the Piasts control in 1080.

Kuosa
03-30-2007, 14:34
Hello, I'm new here and I wanted to as ksmth about future mods. Are You going to add new factions to the game? I mean M2:TW was a total dissapointment (fantasy medieval). One thing that really grinds my gears is seeing such factions as Milan and Venezia in 1080 and not seeing the Teutonic Order as a separate faction (because it was autonomous) the Czheck and mostly the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (GDR) which was for some more than 100 years the BIGGEST faction in Europe! I think that more than 400 years of conflict between the GDR and the Teutonic Order should not be ignored. In M2:TW the Lithuanian troops looked smth like armenian goblins and the story was indeed awful. "Recruited by Polish generals" - yeah right!

P.S. I'm a part of a historical community in Lt and we would gladly compose a brief but all the fact containing article about all the major events and names and etc. of the GDR 1080-1569 in a month!!!

If You would consider our friendly offer please e-mail me at ernestaskuosa@yahoo.com

Best of luck!

Kuosa
03-30-2007, 14:55
I must apologize for one mistake I've made, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania should be shortened to GDL not GDR. I am sooooo ashamed now :(

Re Berengario I
03-30-2007, 15:02
@shoobrawca

1) Regions are finalised unless CA will allow more of them in future patches.
2) Piastow should be the genitive. I'm not an expert in polish language but for what I understand it should mean "of the Piasts" which make sense as Piast was the name of the ancestor not a surname.
3) I don't think I changed the borders of Magdburg already fixed in Vanilla. Anyway the border modifications of all the regions in over 500 years of history are so complex and shifting and they cannot be represented statically if not with a good dose of abstraction.
4) It wasn't. It was contested between Piasts and Bohemians but the real power was his Bishop since when HR Emperor Fredrich I Barbarossa created 2 duchies as fiefs of the HRE.

@Kuosa Just remember that in AD factions are no country, kingdoms, neigbourhood but dinasties.
So there will be new dinasties represented in further releases but there won't be any discussion about which they will be in.
For nationalistic playing I advice "Victoria" from Paradox Games as it represents well the era where nationalism was born.

shoobrawca
03-30-2007, 16:00
Well, if you want to say "of the Piast" then it should be "z Piastów", you can trust me, I'm from Poland;)

If you will be adding some new regions in future, you can also think about Przemysl, to the south of Lublin, to the east of Krakow, it has already been quiet a large and important town in 1080, at least as far as I know;)

Thanks for the good job!!!

Kuosa
03-30-2007, 16:10
i was not talking about nationalism, GDL had 1 major dynasty which later split in 2, the sons of Kestutis>Vytautas the Great (the Grand Duke of Lt) and the sons of Algirdas> Jogaila (Wladyslaw Jagielo in Polish, Lithuanian who married the Polish princess Jadwyga and became King of Poland).

Re Berengario I
03-30-2007, 16:46
i was not talking about nationalism, GDL had 1 major dynasty which later split in 2, the sons of Kestutis>Vytautas the Great (the Grand Duke of Lt) and the sons of Algirdas> Jogaila (Wladyslaw Jagielo in Polish, Lithuanian who married the Polish princess Jadwyga and became King of Poland).

Thanks, I took note of it and as you saw dinasties work a lot better than (once inexistent) countries in a medieval setting ;)

Re Berengario I
04-01-2007, 00:27
Ok, a quick preview of what I'm working on now:

https://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2180/buildingandadvances1ej8.jpg

dietre
04-01-2007, 02:48
i downloaded the .93 beta and started to play it. the new map is awsome. I do have 1 complaint thou. The game takes forever to play due to the fact that each round takes a long, long time. Now im using a brand new pc amd x2 5200. so i know its not a slow pc. Does anyone else have this?
its about 60% longer per turn then vanella and it makes me not want to play this excellent mod...

Re Berengario I
04-01-2007, 02:55
Does the mod have 60% more features than plain Vanilla?

If it does so you have both the reason of the waiting times and both the reason to be patient.

If it does not then the vanilla mindless bloodfeast celebrated in a bunch of provinces each large as half a continent is a better choice.

Unfortunately everything comes at a price.

PseRamesses
04-01-2007, 12:42
@ReB I,
May I suggest you open up at least Lubeck, Stettin and Gdansk as valid crusade targets to represent the German and Danish crusades against the slavs there during the 11th and 12th century.

Now I haven´t played any game longer than 1150ad so I don´t know if this is already in the game: Are there game events to represent the crusades against the Cathars in France, the French and the Pope against Aragonia and all the crusades in Italy and the ones the Pope issued against the HRE?

Also, shouldn´t all settlements of an excommed faction be valid crusade targets?

Re Berengario I
04-01-2007, 13:40
Crusades are half hardcoded so for example, for what I know, no crusades will have as target a rebel controlled province unless it's asked by the player himself. Instead I saw more that one time crusades against catholic provinces provided that the faction which owns them is excommunicated and the province is a crusade target (like Toulose). The latter makes sense as an excommunicated faction is considered the same way as an islamic one by the MTW2 Pope.

Re Berengario I
04-01-2007, 16:47
Some other previews of the new tech/cultural advances building trees:

https://img462.imageshack.us/img462/954/buildingandadvances3bq9.jpg
https://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6895/buildingandadvances2op7.jpg

Re Berengario I
04-02-2007, 18:21
Another example of the different cultural advances some cultures can get.

https://img503.imageshack.us/img503/518/buildingandadvances4ya5.jpg

Desert_Fox
04-05-2007, 14:33
Hi Re Berengario I, i'd just like to say what a fantastic mod you've created, can't wait for whats more to come.

I just have a quick question, i know that when the army is out of the settlements they take a whallop on your wallet, but if we construct forts and they remain there rather than in the field, does this give you the discounts?

Once again, the mod :smash: the vanilla version!

Re Berengario I
04-05-2007, 15:03
Forts are considered as settlements... for the moment :P

Herkus
04-05-2007, 16:41
wonderful work, enjoying your mod

Hross af Guttenburg
04-06-2007, 00:57
Pardon my ignorance, and probably irritating critique about such a little thing, but what is the motivation behind a tax bonus for the Asharite school? I don't see how these things are linked.

Re Berengario I
04-06-2007, 07:37
Pardon my ignorance, and probably irritating critique about such a little thing, but what is the motivation behind a tax bonus for the Asharite school? I don't see how these things are linked.

Beside the fact that bonuses are still to be finalized (most of them are placeholders) cultural advances will give also economic benefits because the more your settlement is "civilized" the more will have a productive "middle class", not to talk about the revenues that could derive from scholars, sages, professors and all the linked activities which couldn't be displayed directly in the game.

PseRamesses
04-07-2007, 13:28
@ReB I,

*The ability of different religions to increase global reputation needs to be tweeked a bit IMHO. Out of the 6 parameters, in the readme file, that can increase your rep 6 applies to the catholics, 5 to the muslims and only 4 to the orthodox factions.
I can play a cath faction as a real badass and just lauch a crusade every 10 turns to regain reputation. I can do pretty mych the same with a muslim faction but with the orthodox ones it´s really hard to raise rep. This is an inbalance that need to be adressed.
Maybee it could be done through some kind of scripted glorious achivements? Like the Byzantines regaining control of Anatolia? Instead of just dropping your rep one step when you take a settlement there you could also gain one to balance it out?

*Shouldn´t land units always have one movementpoint left to be able to unload when their transport is on a coast? It´s a bit silly that they are stuck in a boat and can´t land if their ship is near the coast, isn´t it?

*The "wounded" and "ill" traits needs tweking too. I´ve never got the wounded-trait when fighting battles myself but when doing it through auto-calc I seem to get it in 1 out of 3 or 4 battles. Also the 100% movement restriction should be lowered to maybee 90%. I don´t know how many times I´ve had generals stuck in ships seriously wounded or ill. Shouldn´t they atlest be able to move a tile or two thus representing them being carried on a guerney(sp?)?

Hross af Guttenburg
04-11-2007, 19:49
I've got to say that Im looking forward to the next update, but this constant problem with save games makes me want to cry, finally when I get some where in the game everything goes to hell. There seems to be no logic to when or where it can save, I have tried reinstalling, I have tried saving only when there are no scripts running etc- the fact of the matter is the mod is just not stable. The other issue with long turn times is acceptable if a pain, but without saved games, how is it ever possible to advance unless I play non stop for ten days...which would get me through about 20 years of gametime I suppose.

Re Berengario I
04-11-2007, 20:29
The save problem seems solved in the new version I'm working upon with an automatic quicksave at the end of the player end turn. I still have to encounter a corrupt savegame.

Hross af Guttenburg
04-12-2007, 19:32
mucho fantastico. when can we expect the next update?

Ackwell
04-13-2007, 20:21
Thanks a lot man, the mod itself is great! But I think you should make a "light" version of it too. Maybe with only half of the regions and half sized map. Just can't play when AI is taking over 15 mins to complete its turns. I just donät have time to play your mod and the vanilla game is too simple and too small map. Would love your mod with a slightly smaller map so it wouldnt take so damn long. :)

Re Berengario I
04-13-2007, 22:45
Light version means double development time and I barely have the time to make one version.

Gray Beard
04-17-2007, 10:41
After playing version .93 for a while may I offer what is meant to be some constructive criticisms.

As you can see from my post on this board I generally play the Byzantines and I think that the Byzantines, Turks and Egyptians get short changed by AD.

The reason for this is very simply that the provinces in the Near East are to big to march from a city, attack another city, conquer it and then garrison your army in that city in ONE turn. When Other factions especially the HRE or the various Italians want to take a city they can do so in one turn if they have siege engines of some sort. What this means is that the Byzantines and Turks tend to sit there with a full stack in each city that they can't afford to move.

In many of the games I 've played against the computer the HRE ends up winning because it is very easy for them to reach the 35 province limit. What to do? These are perhaps not the best suggestions but they are things that have occurred to me

For the HRE make them have to duplicate the empire of Charels V. They have to take out the Hungarians AND the Spanish.

Byzantines and Turks maybe start with roads built between Turkish (Old Byzantine cities) to give troops ability to move between them in one move while dragging a siege engine, OR since many siege engines were built on location allow them to be purchased as mercenaries.

Alternately adjust boundaries and make one or two more provinces from Smyrna, Niceae, Sinope, Iconium, Ankra, Cesaria, Trebozond Adana, and that other one down on the coast but keep the total income the same for the combination. This would make the towns closer together.

For the French to win they should have to subdue the HRE

The Milanese, Venetians and Sicilians should have to control the whole of Italy and reduce the pope to a vassal.

Create a faction called "The Prussians" to help counter balance the HRE and give the Danes someone to worry about. It is a little early at the beginning of the game for them but not by the end.

Just some thoughts

Diogenes_of_Sinope
04-17-2007, 15:06
Dude, you got me with your new 'tech/cultural advances tech trees'... i now really want your mod... it looks awesome. Any word about 1.0 release date? Anyway, thanks for sharing your great work with us all.
A TW-fan.

Desert_Fox
04-21-2007, 04:36
Hey ReB I

I'v got a small question. Don't know what the matter with my treasury, but i seem to be losing 10000 everytime i end my turn. This didn't happen before and only started happening around turn 40 onwards. This is very wierd, all my units are garrisoning forts or settlements and i'v never had this much money deducted from my treasury after i ended my turn before.

Dunno what the matter is, anyone have any suggestions?

Re Berengario I
04-21-2007, 11:07
Do you have spies or assasins in foreign lands?

Desert_Fox
04-21-2007, 18:32
nope, don't have any created at the moment.

Jobst_vonGrünungen
04-22-2007, 00:09
A mod that solely altered the game to have two turns a year would be very good, in my opinion, I really dislike the system MTW2 uses where your faction leader inexplicably lives for 80 years, then dies at age 57, and children age sporadically and arbitrarily. It's not a game-ruining aspect, but having two turns per year would still be fantastic.

zenisar
04-22-2007, 16:51
Hi Berengar,

I recently downloaded your mod version 0.93 and started to play. With House of Salis, I reached 1120 AD on VH/VH. I would like to share with you some of my experience with your mod.

General. First of all, this is a great mod. I like the idea of houses instead of nations, the map, historical naming, events and many other things.

Rebels. From the beginning, when conquring all the surrounding regions belonging to lesser factions, I really had troubles with the rebels spawning all around my territory every turn. It was really embarrasing, so I was going to stop playing when sick and tired of fighting the rebels each turn. However, when I won the first crusade, my reputation went from dubious to trustworthy and eventually to immaculate after winning the papal office for my cardinal. To my surprise, the rebel spawn frequency dropped, as everybody was suddenly happy with my rule. Very good feature, the reputation pays!

Names. I play as House of Salis-Hohenstaufen which is a pretty long name. In some screens, for example main faction screen with victory conditions etc., the names like “Heinrich von Salis von Hohenstaufen the Immacolate” simply don’t fit in, making the other texts on the screen unreadable. Would that be possible to shorten the faction name, for example to House of Salis only? Sure, not historically accurate, but better playable.

Titles. In the course of the game, I acquired following titles:
Sacrum Romanum Imperator
Rex Teutonicorum
Rex Bohemia
Rex Burgundie
Rex Croatiae
Rex Sardiniae
Sereniximo Doge Venexia
There are so many titles on my emperor that together with other ancillaries they simply don’t fit in those 8 slots so my emperor feels hurt in his pride as his achievements are not visible. Would there be any way to sort ancillaries in such a way that royal titles are shown first (on the top) according to their importance while the normal ancillaries are suppressed to the bottom?

Injuries. When I saw my general wounded for the first time after autoresolving battle, I liked that because it looked realistic. However, when I have to fight every other turn with cloned rebel armies, some of my generals get wounded pretty frequently on autoresolve. My emperor got “Near Death” trait in 48 years of age and could not move till his death at 61. His successor got a trait “Seriously ill” at 32 and his movement is pretty limited since. When his heir got a similar trait, this situation becomes pretty annoying. How can I get rid of these traits? Even if he stays in beautiful Venice all the time, the trait does not dissapear in the course of time (no recovery on body and soul?). The only way to avoid this situation is fight every clone rebel army manually, which is pretty boring from second battle on.:help:

Political situation. When playing vanilla MTW, I set a personal goal to keep peace as much as possible (and got war on all fronts simultaneously instead). In Anno Domini mod it is 1120 AD: almost all factions are curiously at peace, they have several full stack armies in their territories, just sitting there and doing nothing. On top of that, around 1115 AD, most factions in the game lost more than half their territories to rebels. The house of Salis is the only one keeping their lands under control (with some difficulties). Unfortunately, there is no reason to play further as there is no real competition any more when all the other factions broke off.:help:

Anyway, I really like your mod and thank you for further tweaking it and for all the effort so far.

isellj0epnuts
04-22-2007, 18:16
Titles. In the course of the game, I acquired following titles:
Sacrum Romanum Imperator
Rex Teutonicorum
Rex Bohemia
Rex Burgundie
Rex Croatiae
Rex Sardiniae
Sereniximo Doge Venexia
There are so many titles on my emperor that together with other ancillaries they simply don’t fit in those 8 slots so my emperor feels hurt in his pride as his achievements are not visible. Would there be any way to sort ancillaries in such a way that royal titles are shown first (on the top) according to their importance while the normal ancillaries are suppressed to the bottom?

This will be so in AD 1.0. Faction leaders will no longer acquire normal ancillaries, thus opening up more spots for their titles. In addition, the triggers for royal ancillaries will fire before those of the normal ancillaries.

Injuries. When I saw my general wounded for the first time after autoresolving battle, I liked that because it looked realistic. However, when I have to fight every other turn with cloned rebel armies, some of my generals get wounded pretty frequently on autoresolve. My emperor got “Near Death” trait in 48 years of age and could not move till his death at 61. His successor got a trait “Seriously ill” at 32 and his movement is pretty limited since. When his heir got a similar trait, this situation becomes pretty annoying. How can I get rid of these traits? Even if he stays in beautiful Venice all the time, the trait does not dissapear in the course of time (no recovery on body and soul?). The only way to avoid this situation is fight every clone rebel army manually, which is pretty boring from second battle on.:help:

Having played A.D .93 extensively, and implemented a 'battle wounded' trait in my own mini-mod, I must unfortunately admit that there is little room around this issue.

If you suffered for long in a vanilla M2TW campaign, you may have noticed that auto-resolved battles tended to give your generals the 'battle scarred' trait. Apparently when given control of your forces, the computer calculates that your generals will act like Alexandros Reborn and charge into the thick of the action. Generals who excessively lose hitpoints in battle will gain traits like 'battle scarred' in vanilla, and the 'injuries' in AD.

My suggestion is to leave rebel battles in the hands of your captains...

Re Berengario I
04-22-2007, 19:03
If you suffered for long in a vanilla M2TW campaign, you may have noticed that auto-resolved battles tended to give your generals the 'battle scarred' trait. Apparently when given control of your forces, the computer calculates that your generals will act like Alexandros Reborn and charge into the thick of the action. Generals who excessively lose hitpoints in battle will gain traits like 'battle scarred' in vanilla, and the 'injuries' in AD.

And in the next versions rebel armies won't be so much cloned so to make the autoresolve option a less desirable opportunity.

Jobst_vonGrünungen
04-23-2007, 17:19

In RTW I would have the issue, like you said where the computer thinks your general is Alexander the great, only not lucky, but instead of making them battle scarred it would make them die miserably. So I started only auto-resolving battles where the odds where 5-1 in my favour, or if there was only a captain there. That sounds like the best solution in this case.

Re Berengario I
04-26-2007, 01:17
Ok people, my battleplan is the following:

- Next version status

new buildings and tech trees: completed for the 90% (together with card images, descriptions and new icons).

revision of income/resources/trade values, techs and buildings in a region will give huge differences and not just 2-5% bonuses like in vanilla. This way we could simulate highly developed regions like Constantinople, Venice, Bruges, etc. Textiles would not be a resource anymore, replaced by Alum. There will be a textile manifacturing buildings tree which will give different incomes depending if you'll have a merchant on the commodities needed to produce textiles (wool or cotton, dyes and alum). Some other manifacturing buildings will be added (like a brewery with bonus if you're trading grain or have grain in the region). I also reduced the resource points together with an increased number of recruitable merchants if you have the right trade tech. Some trade wars are to be expected.

new units roster: I'm writing a new EDU (export_descr_unit.txt) from scratch using as guidelines rosters used in popular medieval wargames (DBA and DBM), linked to an era system, together with a complete (and I mean complete) revision of stats and costs. Basically, following PointBlank great ideas, I lowered the attack values of the units resulting in longer battles. I expanded his concepts also to mental and defense stats so they are coherently applied to the various types of units (elite, professional, militia, peasants). So for example a peasant archer will have shorter range and slower rate of fire than a "professional" longbowmen, not just a different attack value (which is more linked to the weapon he's using). Once in melee the latter would also have a better defense and morale than the former. For the moment I will use old skins and models, they'll be modified in the next versions (read on).

Rebels won't spawn the same army over and over. They will spawn with core units to whom randomly some others units could be added in the following turns. So you can "easily" take care of rebels soon but if you let them grow you'd probably be toasted in that region (code 100% done, units to be changed accordingly to the new rosters).

Expanded family trees right from start with all the most notorius noble families linked to the "royal" dinasties. So you'll have Hohenstaufen, Palaiologos, etc as family members (this also immensely helps the AI and avoid AI factions to collapse because lacking of heirs). Family members will also have improved fertility (yeah they like sex :P). 100% done, just missing factions that will be replaced in the future (Milan for the matter).

- 1.0 version todo in order of release

New victory conditions linked to "prestige points". Basically it'll win the faction that will have more prestige points at the end date of the campaign. Prestige points will be gained using your prestige status (global reputation, already changed the name in the diplomacy screen) at the end of each turn plus other important achievements.

Revision of what influence your prestige status splitting the less important thing into turn status and the most important thing directly in prestige points (like a victorius crusade, a pope election, etc).

Revision of the campaign AI using the new 1.2 patch commands.

New factions. They'll be mostly playable and at the start they'll mostly use already existing models with just new skins for the elite and professional units (militia and peasant units will share skins depending on culture, geography, etc, peasants didn't use heraldry or uniforms).

New skins, banners and some new models for all the factions (as this will be very time consuming I'll release them as singular faction packages one at the time).
new units roster: I'm writing a new EDU (export_descr_unit.txt) from scratch using as guidelines rosters used in popular medieval wargames (DBA and DBM), linked to an era system, together with a complete (and I mean complete) revision of stats and costs. Basically, following PointBlank great ideas, I lowered the attack values of the units resulting in longer battles. I expanded his concepts also to mental and defense stats so they are coherently applied to the various types of units (elite, professional, militia, peasants). So for example a peasant archer will have shorter range and slower rate of fire than a "professional" longbowmen, not just a different attack value (which is more linked to the weapon he's using). Once in melee he would also have a better defense and morale than the former. For the moment I will use old skins and models, they'll be modified in the next versions (read on).

Rebels wouldn't spawn the same army over and over. They will spawn with core units to whom randomly some others could be randomly added in the following turns. So you can "easily" take care of rebels soon but if you let them grow you'd probably be toasted in that region (code 100% done, units to be changed accordingly to the new rosters).

Expanded family trees right from start with all the most notorius noble families linked to the "royal" dinasties. So you'll have Hohenstaufen, Palaiologos, etc as family members (this also immensely helps the AI and avoid AI faction to collapse because lacking of heirs). Family members will also have improved fertility (yeah they like sex ). 100% done, just missing factions that will be replaced in the future (Milan for the matter).

- 1.0 version todo in order of release

New victory conditions linked to "prestige points". Basically it'll win the faction that will have more prestige points at the end date of the campaign. Prestige points will be gained using your prestige status (global reputation, already changed the name in the diplomacy screen) at the end of each turn plus other important achievements.

Revision of what influence your prestige status splitting the less important thing into turn status and the most important thing directly in prestige points (like a victorius crusade, a pope election, etc).

Revision of the campaign AI using the new 1.2 patch commands.

New factions. They'll be mostly playable and at the start they'll mostly use already existing models with just new skins for the elite and professional units (militia and peasant units will share skins depending on culture, geography, etc, peasants didn't use heraldry or uniforms).

New skins, banners and some new models for all the factions (as this will be very time consuming I'll release them as singular faction packages one at the time).

Gray Beard
05-03-2007, 23:08
Do you have a time frame for this? (i. e. a release date)

Re Berengario I
05-05-2007, 00:47
Do you have a time frame for this? (i. e. a release date)

Nullum nosco rerum futurorum.

PseRamesses
05-05-2007, 08:59
Nullum nosco rerum futurorum.
:laugh4:

Gray Beard
05-14-2007, 17:27
Nei meih ya'uh houh Go' mafan Ng'oh seung ya'uh

I can read your Latin can you read my Cantonese? :jumping:

PseRamesses
05-19-2007, 16:47
How is the next version coming along ReB?

I read somwhere that you had isolated the cause for the main CTD´s. Is it possible to release a fix for all the CTD´s before the full release? Been playing all factions and haven´t ever got further than 1107ad. It´s a great mod but this is really getting tideous m8.

heisme
05-23-2007, 17:40
where do i download this from

Re Berengario I
05-24-2007, 15:38
@PseRamesses I posted some fix on the TWCenter subforum

@heisme you can find the downoad links in the MTW2 mod database here at the org

PseRamesses
05-27-2007, 16:17
@PseRamesses I posted some fix on the TWCenter subforum
Been there but can´t find what you´re suggesting. Got a link or something more specific?

My last games as Sicily, Milan, HRE, France, England, Spain, Portugese and the Moors has all ended either between the 1st and 2nd turn in 1089 or 1090, and always at the turn of the Moors or the lesser factions. That so many different games CTD´s at the same time might suggest something to you.
I also have problems getting past 1093 as the Turks and Byzantines. I have saves if your interested.

With only a couple hours to play each weekend this is getting really frustrating not to be able to play this superb mod. I remeber EB had a serious CTD that was caused by some trait, could this be the explanation here too?

Thx anyway and keep up the good work ReB!

Darkarbiter
07-01-2007, 09:43
BTW Reb I dunno if you accidentally uploaded some virus or something to your host but apparently when I click the link provided at the org it says it's been deleted because of abuse. The TWC link works fine however.

Also I'm really sad :( RTR forums are down (where I write my AARs) and 0.94 isn't out yet with which to write the AARs (I guess 0.93 will do for now). Keep up the good work with your mod though!

Djurre
07-05-2007, 12:12
So i tried to install the .93 beta build today on my new pc (poor me).
Problem is, no new desktop icon appeared like it did on XP. Thats right, i'm running things on vista. I know, Vista suckes, dont bother.

Is AD vista compatible?
I just realised that i opened the installer from within the archive, without extracting it, that could be a problem to.

anyone have an idea? i'll try unpacking it first.

alpaca
07-05-2007, 13:43
So i tried to install the .93 beta build today on my new pc (poor me).
Problem is, no new desktop icon appeared like it did on XP. Thats right, i'm running things on vista. I know, Vista suckes, dont bother.

Is AD vista compatible?
I just realised that i opened the installer from within the archive, without extracting it, that could be a problem to.

anyone have an idea? i'll try unpacking it first.
It's probably compatible but you might have to run the batch file inside your M2TW directory.

Ignoramus
08-08-2007, 04:03
I know you've merged with MA, but is 1.0 going to be released?

Djurre
09-15-2007, 13:58
merged? will there be a new version? i liked this mod a lot.

update please?

Stupid_Boy
10-23-2007, 09:02
hi there!!!! i'm wondering if the 0.93version of anno domini is compatible with 1.3MTW2+Kingdom??? i saw somewhere in this forum that 0.93 is for 1.2version of MTW2?

thanks in advance

Stupid_Boy
10-24-2007, 07:53
i downloaded and have installed it. and is working!!!! no bad!!! Nice!!! So many new provinces and new stuff!!! Must give a big applause to those who created this mod!!! nice works!!!

However, i installed this mod into my MTW2 directory, causing all my previous files have been replaced with this mod!!!! SHit!!! Now i have to reinstalled my MTW2+Kingdom as im learning to mod myself!!!! anyway!! thanks for the mod!!! is a brilliant mod i must said!!! Hopefully i can learn more from this mod!!Hehe
:beam: :beam: :beam:

alpaca
10-24-2007, 18:57
i downloaded and have installed it. and is working!!!! no bad!!! Nice!!! So many new provinces and new stuff!!! Must give a big applause to those who created this mod!!! nice works!!!

However, i installed this mod into my MTW2 directory, causing all my previous files have been replaced with this mod!!!! SHit!!! Now i have to reinstalled my MTW2+Kingdom as im learning to mod myself!!!! anyway!! thanks for the mod!!! is a brilliant mod i must said!!! Hopefully i can learn more from this mod!!Hehe
:beam: :beam: :beam:
You should limit your use of exclamation marks first of all if you want to be taken seriously...