PDA

View Full Version : audio modding a no-go

Shigawire
12-16-2006, 04:03
The textfiles required to mod audio and music in RTW are not to be found in M2TW, nor are there any textfiles with any links to any soundfiles at all.

Files in RTW are:
DESCR_SOUNDS_ENVIRO.TXT
descr_sounds_events.txt
descr_sounds_music.txt
descr_sounds_prebattle.txt
descr_sounds_stratmap.txt
descr_sounds_units_anims.txt
DESCR_SOUNDS_UNITS_CELEBRATE.TXT
DESCR_SOUNDS_UNITS_CHARGE.TXT
descr_sounds_units_fight.txt
DESCR_SOUNDS_UNITS_IDLE.TXT
DESCR_SOUNDS_UNITS_RETREAT.TXT
DESCR_SOUNDS_UNITS_TAUNT.TXT
EXPORT_DESCR_SOUNDS_ADVICE.TXT
export_descr_sounds_prebattle.txt
export_descr_sounds_soldier_voice.txt
export_descr_sounds_units_battle_events.txt
export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt

These do not exist in M2TW :sweatdrop:

Any suggestions? :shame:

Shigawire
12-16-2006, 04:19
After dwelving into it some further, I believe the textfiles are inside events.idx and events.dat in \Medieval II Total War\data\sounds\
The reason for my belief is that in \Medieval II Total War\data\sounds\effect_evt you find some "event" files which have bearing on other aspects of sound, and they look very similar to the old textfiles from RTW.

However, XIDX.EXE cannot extract events.idx because it isn't audio, skeleton or animation data. Either Vercingetorix updates his tool, or we're kinda stuck as far as audiomodding goes. :yes:

Mandro
12-16-2006, 04:36
Yea that's one of the most anticipated features I was looking forward to with this unpacker as well :(
Been sifting through all the files, hoping perhaps I had missed 1 master text file linking to the sound-fx but you just confirmed it.

Thanks for sharing the info and I too hope someone with the know-how works on this...

Shigawire
12-16-2006, 07:57
I believe Vercingetorix did release the sourcecode for his XIDX extractor. And that means other programmers could do the same I would think. All one needs is to add the ability to extract text/ascii data from the idx/dat.