PDA

View Full Version : Problems with export_descr_unit

Cos3
12-16-2006, 18:20
I know this is the wrong forum, but the mod forum doesn't seem to have much traffic and I'd like a fast answer if possible.

I've been making modifications to export_descr_unit such as removing all non-missile peasants, and at least tripling the cost to buy siege weapons. I'm also going to increase morale and defense so that battles last longer and units arn't decimated in mere seconds.

None of my changes are taking effect though. Is this the correct file to modify? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Aelwyn
12-16-2006, 18:53
This may be a dumb question, but you are making these changes in a separate mod, and with a new campaign, right?

Cos3
12-16-2006, 18:56
I made a backup of export_descr_unit and modified the file in the data folder.
I started a new campaign, built the first building for ballistas to check the costs; no change.

Aelwyn
12-16-2006, 19:11
If I remember correctly, you have to change the file in a mod, changing it directly in the main file will not work. I have a mod that works with my changes.

You can find directions on how to set it up here:

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm55.showMessageRange?topicID=10185.topic&start=21&stop=40

Its very easy to set up.

redmark
12-16-2006, 19:14
Before the unpacker at least, changes were only recognised if run using mod switch (there's a thread for it somewhere).

mor dan
12-16-2006, 19:42
even after the unpacker release. all the unpacker does is just that... it unpacks everything. to use edited files you must use a command line switch, otherwise the game just runs the files in the "packs" folder.

however, there is another problem you might be facing. if you are removing units from the descr_strat_unit file and not from anything else, you're probably going to get a CTD as the game looks for those units and finds them absent. it's not a simple mod change to make, removing or adding units. there are multiple files that must be edited or deleted. personally, i have never succeeded in actually modding a unit out of the game. a crash always results, so i am not even sure which part i am missing from it.

Kraxis
12-16-2006, 20:19
Yeah, if you want to remove the Peasants as troops you face from enemies, then remove them as a trainable unit in castles.

That should do it. Meanwhile you will still face Peasants among the rebels, which I think is fairly fitting.