PDA

View Full Version : Interesting discovery...

Spino
12-18-2006, 18:47
In my hunt for the latest 'no-cd executable' to use now that the 1.1 patch has been released I discovered something very interesting. I caught a post on a gaming related forum where someone patched the game and then decided to use the no-cd crack for version 1.0... and it worked!

I can verify that this does work! How does this affect gameplay? I have no idea, now that the latest no-cd crack is out for version 1.1 I'm using that instead.

What does this mean for modding? Not exactly sure but it could imply that most of what the developers changed for the patch can be changed by modders. What this implies is that much of the critical data that was encrypted in previous TW games is now moddable. This could have enormous implications for mods... who knows? Anyway I just thought I'd share this with the modding community.

P.S. To the uninitiated a 'cracked' no-cd file is a hacked .exe file that circumvents copy protection measures and eliminates the need to keep the game disc in the drive when playing. Don't ask me where you can get these files because posting the relevant links is against the Org rules.

P.P.S. Please spare me the usual 'hacker', 'pirate' and other unsavory labels. I'm no angel when it comes to downloading and file sharing but I do buy my games and I do use cracked no-cd executables whenever possible. I like keeping my original discs in pristine condition and safely stored in their cases... where they belong!

Lusted
12-18-2006, 19:41
Well we checked the text files CA released before the patch, and compared them to the ones we got from the unpacker and nothing has changed in them. So the changes were in the .exe, and by using your no-cd crack your probably losing all the changes the patch makes.

Spino
12-18-2006, 20:08
Well we checked the text files CA released before the patch, and compared them to the ones we got from the unpacker and nothing has changed in them. So the changes were in the .exe, and by using your no-cd crack your probably losing all the changes the patch makes.

Well that settles it! Glad to know the modding community is so thorough. Thanks for the info!

pevergreen
12-19-2006, 12:56
I can confirm that. Using 1.00 no cd patch for 1.1 you only get 1.00
Quite annoying for me as my original DVD is too scratched to use (i hate family sometimes)