PDA

View Full Version : Adding Orthodox Bishop and Patriarch traits...

sivlar
12-18-2006, 21:13
I originally posted this on totalwar.com but probably will get better responses here :)

So I was messing around with a Russian campaign last night and noticed something I had not picked up on before.

Your starting priest is actually a bishop with a different model on the campaign map. Even when you select him, it says bishop instead of priest. I didn't notice this either when I ran a byzantine campaign so I don't think they get one. Which seems odd since they are the founders of the orthodox religion

img218.imageshack.us/img2...hopaf7.jpg

Only thing is, when he dies you never see another one. The catholics seem to get bishops if you train a priest in a settlement with a cathedral. I cannot remember off the top of my head if they get a special model like this or not. I looked around in the export_descr_character_traits.txt file and cannot find a trigger for the bishop trait.

Unless this is it...

Trigger priestinit4
WhenToTest AgentCreated

Condition AgentType = priest
and SettlementBuildingExists = cathedral
and Trait PriestLevel = 0

Affects PriestLevel 1 Chance 100

And if that is in fact the trigger, it seems like it will only work for catholics.

Perhaps if this is added, it would also work on orthodox priests.

Trigger priestinit4
WhenToTest AgentCreated

and SettlementBuildingExists = cathedral_o

Maybe it will work? Since the description of a bishop lists it as priest level 1...

Trait Bishop
Characters priest
Hidden

Level A_Bishop
Description A_Bishop_desc
EffectsDescription A_Bishop_effects_desc
Threshold 1

Effect Piety 1
Effect Level 1

They seem to be non-exsistant after this Russian one dies off. So I am hoping this may fix it. Also there is no trigger listed for cardinals so I am guessing the way the pope promotes them is triggered in a different way in another file, or even hardcoded.

Also there is nothing listed for patriarchs in the trait file. Though cardinals do have an entry.

I did find this in the descr_characters.txt file so it looks like CA had thought of doing something more with the orthodox faith at one point.

Catholic empires have a listing like this...

faction portugal
dictionary 2
strat_model catholic_priest ; default model
strat_model catholic_bishop ; medium level priest
strat_model catholic_cardinal ; advanced priest

And Orthodox empires have and entry like this...

faction russia
dictionary 2
strat_model orthodox_priest ; default model
strat_model orthodox_bishop ; medium level priest
strat_model orthodox_patriarch ; advanced priest

So it looks like the game has 2 different bishop models depending on your religion (Like I said though I cannot remember seeing a different priest model for the catholics) and it also looks like there is a patriarch model somewhere in there but since there is no trait description or trigger for a patriarch I am guessing CA never finished fleshing out the Orthodox religion.

So will this possibly work assuming the orthodox priest level 2 models are still in the game?

Adding this to the following files...

export_descr_character_traits.txt

;------------------------------------------
Trait PriestLevel
Characters priest

Level Bishop
Description Bishop_desc
EffectsDescription Bishop_effects_desc
Threshold 1

Effect Piety 1
Effect Level 1

Level Cardinal
Description Cardinal_desc
EffectsDescription Cardinal_effects_desc
Threshold 2

Effect Piety 1
Effect Level 2
Effect HeresyImmunity 1

Level Patriarch
Description Patriarch_desc
EffectsDescription Patriarch_effects_desc
Threshold 2

Effect Piety 3
Effect Level 2
Effect HeresyImmunity 1

Trait Patriarch
Characters priest
Hidden

Level A_Patriarch
Description A_Patriarch_desc
EffectsDescription A_Patriarch_effects_desc
Threshold 2

Effect Piety 3
Effect Level 2

Trigger patriarch
WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
and EndedInSettlement
and FactionBuildingExists = huge_cathedral_o
and not FactionwideTraitExists Patriarch
and RemainingMPPercentage = 100
and Trait PriestLevel = 1

Affects PriestLevel 2 Chance 100

My intentions would be to make it fire off if your priest is a bishop, and no other patriarch exists in your faction.

He would basically be the leader of the church in that specific orthdox faction. I can play with some other triggers to add additional traits if he gets promoted if needed to make him at least on par with cardinals. Cardinals seem to get a chance to have a bunch of traits when promoted.

Would also have to add this to the export_descr_vnvs_enums.txt file.

Patriarch
Patriarch_desc
Patriarch_effects_desc
A_Patriarch
A_Patriarch_desc
A_Patriarch_effects_desc

and last but not least, a description in the data/text directory assuming I can edit the appropriate .bin file. Not sure if it will work though since those files look like a mess.

¬--------------------

{Patriarch} Patriarch

{Patriarch_desc}
This priest has been promoted to Patriach of the Orthodox Church of the Empire.

{Patriarch_effects_desc}
+3 Piety

¬--------------------

{A_Patriarch} A Patriarch

{A_Patriarch_desc}
DO NOT TRANSLATE - SHOULD BE HIDDEN. This priest was promoted to the title of Patriarch simply for sitting in a city with a Huge Cathedral. Silly huh?

{A_Patriarch_effects_desc}
+3 Piety

¬--------------------

Basically I just copied and changed the entries for bishop and a_bishop

Any thoughts?

seneschal.the
12-18-2006, 22:02
Sounds excellent. The triggers look functioning and the idea is great. I've been thinking of doing just that for orthodox and islam, adding more levels of priests ("Holy Prophet of Islam") but I find that there are so many odd VnVs tjhat need to be fixed before adding new fun things; I get frustratad by seeing all the glitches and can't focus on creative stuff :)

That screenshot link didn't get URL'ed.

alpaca
12-19-2006, 00:24
So... did you test it?

sivlar
12-19-2006, 04:19
Here is what I got so far. This is all in the export_descr_character_traits.txt

Fixed the standard bishop trigger for catholics. Since as Olmsted pointed out on totalwar.com, they can be trained in a cathedral but once you upgrade to huge you loose them again.

Trigger priestinit4
WhenToTest AgentCreated

and SettlementBuildingExists >= cathedral

Added trigger for Orthodox bishops...

Trigger priestinit6
WhenToTest AgentCreated

and SettlementBuildingExists >= cathedral_o

Added Patriarchs for Orthodox.

Trait PriestLevel
Characters priest

Level Bishop
Description Bishop_desc
EffectsDescription Bishop_effects_desc
Threshold 1

Effect Piety 1
Effect Level 1

Level Cardinal
Description Cardinal_desc
EffectsDescription Cardinal_effects_desc
Threshold 2

Effect Piety 1
Effect Level 2
Effect HeresyImmunity 1

Level Patriarch
Threshold 2

Effect Piety 3
Effect Level 2
Effect HeresyImmunity 1

Trait Patriarch
Characters priest
Hidden

Level A_Patriarch
Threshold 2

Effect Piety 3
Effect Level 2

On a sidenote if anyone know what the "threshold" entry does please tell. I have seen the numbers on it range from 1 to 64 or something like that.

Now here is where it gets screwed up and I still need help....

Trigger Patriarch
and EndedInSettlement
and SettlementBuildingExists = huge_cathedral_o
and CharacterReligion orthodox
and not FactionTraitExists Patriarch >= 1

Basically I want each orthodox faction to only have one, but no matter how I write the trigger, muliple ones can be trained up.

I have tried several variations.

and not FactionTraitExists Patriarch >= 1
and not FactionTrait Patriarch >= 1
and not Faction Trait Exists Patriarch >= 1
and not FactionTrait Patriarch Exists >= 1
and not Patriarch Exists >= 1
and not Faction Patriarch Exists >= 1
and not Faction Patriarch >= 1

Also tried pulling the ">" sign or taking out the "not" and making "=0"

Nothing seems to work, you can just pump out muliple ones no matter what. So if anyone know a trigger that would exclude muliple ones from being trained that would be greatly appriciated.

Also to get it to work I had to add these lines to the export_descr_vnvs_enums.txt file

Patriarch
Patriarch_desc
Patriarch_effects_desc

A_Patriarch
A_Patriarch_desc
A_Patriarch_effects_desc

and make these entries into the export_VnVs.txt file in the data/text directory.

¬--------------------

{Patriarch} Patriarch

{Patriarch_desc}
This priest has been promoted to leader of the Orthodox church in the empire.

{Patriarch_effects_desc}
+3 Piety

¬--------------------

{A_Patriarch_desc}
DO NOT TRANSLATE - SHOULD BE HIDDEN. This priest was promoted to the title of Patriarch simply for sitting in a city with a Huge Cathedral. Silly huh?

+3 Piety

¬--------------------

So after all that and still the bug on the trigger preventing muliple ones from being trainined you get this...

https://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6085/patriarch1tx6.jpg

https://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4691/patriarch2sx2.jpg

As you can see it still labels him as a cardinal in the HUD display and on the campaign screen. I am not sure what file those tags are stored in or if it is hardcoded somewhere. At least he ended up with a cool model that the devs never wanted to use for some reason.

Really need help on the trigger though.

sivlar
12-19-2006, 04:45
Also seems whatever I changed regarding patriarchs seems to cause all catholic cardinals to end up with the trait.

Gotta find a way to undo that too but be able to keep it in for orthodox.

seneschal.the
12-19-2006, 13:55
Threshold is what # of points needed for that level.

Lets take Arse (vanilla):

Trait Arse
Characters family
NoGoingBackLevel 2

Level Uninhibited
Description Uninhibited_desc
EffectsDescription Uninhibited_effects_desc
Threshold 1

Effect Authority -1

Level Shameful
Description Shameful_desc
EffectsDescription Shameful_effects_desc
Threshold 4

Effect Authority -2

You need 1 point of arse to get "uninhibited", and you need 4 points to get "Shameful". NoGoingback is the amount of points you need before there is... no going back. So two points of arse is enough for a character to be stuck with it. (with arse it is very annoying since you do not know if your general has 1,2 or 3 points of arse; many traits have NoGoingBack at specific levels)

I'm supposed to be working at home, doing Real-Work (tm) but I'll try and check your stuff out later. It's very interesting and definately something I'd like to add for both Orthodox and Islam.

sivlar
12-19-2006, 15:56
Ok I think I fixed it from popping up on catholic cardinals..

Basically this all that is needed. Don't need to mod the Priest level line with the cardinal entry in it.

export_descr_character_traits.txt

Trigger Patriarch
and EndedInSettlement
and FactionBuildingExists = huge_cathedral_o
and not FactionwideTraitExists Patriarch

Trait Patriarch
Characters priest
Hidden

Level A_Patriarch
Threshold 2

Effect Piety 3
Effect Level 2

Trait Patriarch
Characters priest

Level Patriarch
Threshold 2

Effect Piety 3
Effect Level 2

export_descr_vnvs_enums.txt

Patriarch
Patriarch_desc
Patriarch_effects_desc

A_Patriarch
A_Patriarch_desc
A_Patriarch_effects_desc

export_VnVs.txt

¬--------------------

{Patriarch} Patriarch

{Patriarch_desc}
This priest has been promoted to Patriach of the Orthodox Church of the Empire.

{Patriarch_effects_desc}
+3 Piety

¬--------------------

¬--------------------

{A_Patriarch_desc}

+3 Piety

¬--------------------

This still leaves me with the problem of it being assigned muliple times. I just can't seem to get the exclude trigger to work. Also it still tags the patriarch as a cardinal when you mouse over his pic in the agent menu on the HUD and on his model on the campaign map.

sivlar
12-20-2006, 02:31
Well after fighting with the stupid traits triggers. I have given up and followed the route Olmsted on totalwar.com. Working off the principle that Dearmad came up on the ancillaries on twcenter.net

Here is what I got and it does in fact seem to work. Although once the trigger fires off, whenever you mouse over the characters picture or model on the campaign map it still says cardinal. So I am not really sure how the system determines whether to make the tag display priest, bishop, or cardinal. At least using it this way does incorporate the unused level 2 orthodox priest model.

Here is what I did...

export_descr_ancillaries.txt entries...

Ancillary patriarch
Type Religion
Transferable 0
Image patriarch.tga
Description patriarch_desc
EffectsDescription patriarch_effects_desc
Effect Piety 2
Effect Level 2

Trigger patriarch
and SettlementBuildingExists >= cathedral_o
and CharacterReligion orthodox
and EndedInSettlement
and not FactionwideAncillaryExists patriarch

AcquireAncillary patriarch chance 100

added this to export_descr_ancillary_enums.txt

patriarch
patriarch_desc
patriarch_effects_desc

this to the export_ancillaries.txt in the data/text folder

¬---------------

{patriarch} Patriarch of the Orthodox Church

{patriarch_desc}
This priest has been appointed to the position of Patriarch. The head of the Orthodox Church for the entire kingdom.

{patriarch_effects_desc}
+3 Piety

and then made a quick and dirty .tga for the data/ui/ancillaries folder. Any suggestions on something better to use would be appriciated.

https://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3371/patriarchvf1.jpg

This all seems to work, no muliple ones get promoted until this one dies. Only problem is the cardinal tag which I mentioned earlier. So if anyone knows a way around that let me know.

I may post the full mod I have been using if anyone is interested. I also wrote in a mess of units to be recruitable in campaign that were either turned off or only useable in custom fights (i.e., generals, mounted longbowmen, dismounted turegs, dismounted french archers, ect). Made several mercenary units usable in custom fights, and turned on a several traits and ancillaries that CA had either turned off or never set triggers for. Also fixed 2 typos on the AI file that caused the system to never accept ceasefires and vassalage when things got bad.

alpaca
12-20-2006, 16:12
You could trigger the PriestLevel trait from the HasAncType condition (well if you give that ancillary it's own type).
By the way, Threshold is the points you need in the trait in order to advance to that level (global, not relative to the last lower level)

sivlar
12-28-2006, 23:17
Well, I am almost done my first attempt at a mod. Still testing a few things.

What is has so far, also listing the bugs associated to see if anyone has some ideas on how to fix them

Ancillaries and Trait fixes based on the 3 big bug fix mods released by Orientis, the.seneschal, and Kobal2fr. I found all 3 have a little something the other doesn't but together they nail down just about every problem. So I've done my best at piecing them all together and trying to make the best of all worlds. Also found a few duplicate trigger names that none of them had addressed causing the trigger not to fire off and made a few tweaks myself. Lots and lots of time spent in Beyond Compare 2 messing with and comparing the different files.

- The bug I found is when you use any modded trait file with an old save game it screws up all your family members current traits. New campaigns do not seem to be affected. Don't know if it is trying to read the old trigger positions or what.

Added the Patriarch Ancillary for Orthodox factions.

- The only bug I have with that is minor. It is the one I mentioned before, when you mouse over the Orthodox Patriarch it says he is a cardinal. Not really sure how to fix that. He does get the unused level 2 priest model in the game though which looks kind of cool.

Also have made all units that are in custom battles recruitable in campaign. Mounted Longbowmen, Dismounted Tuaregs, Dismounted French Archers, Dismounted Broken Lances, ect.

Increased the cavalry attack bonus for pike units. Currently they are no better then regular spearmen in the vanilla game.

Lowered the costs of armories slightly to make them a little more worth building despite their diminishing returns.

Made various merc units availible in custom battles for the appropriate factions.

Includes zxiang1983's ballista and cannon tower fix.

Pointed the Descr_Culture.txt file to make aztec cities not appear as middle eastern cities on the campaign map. Unfortunately cannot do the same for the battle map since CA never made textures for them.