PDA

View Full Version : Conquer Rome become Pope?

JoeyBritt
12-19-2006, 16:58
The idea of the Pope fleeing around the country is good I guess for gameplay but somewhat historically innacurate. When Charles V sacked Rome in the mid 16th Century he was not excommunicated and attacked by all Catholics. Instead he got the ear of the Pope and had much control over him. Surely it would be more historically accurate if the Pope was controlled by a faction who took Rome rather than at war with them. Im not sure how moddable that would be, but I shall think some more...

King of Atlantis
12-20-2006, 01:34
You can do that already. After you kill the pope just keep an army by him and kill him if he makes trouble. If you keep getting your own popes in you can virtually control the papacy.

JoeyBritt
12-20-2006, 01:42
No but what I meant was that Charles V's control over the Pope was such that he could prevent other factions' war efforts etc. I guess it would be hard to relate ingame, but the way you mention is merely reducing detriment from the pope not controlling him

OMGLAZERS
12-22-2006, 20:02
He's talking about basically, if you beat the Papacy, you can control the Papal States, like a Protectorate, and have them consult you for your decisions.

I'd like to see the mod but I think it'd be so overpowered that it'd be impossible to defeat the Italians who would be able to get to the Pope first (not that the AI would be smart enough to make that decision).