PDA

View Full Version : Weapon explosion/impact physics

mongooser
12-20-2006, 05:36
How does the game engine decide if a soldier gets knocked off his feet, or even blasted away, by a particular projectile or explosion? What attributes, in what files, influence how far a soldier flys after getting hit by an explosion?

mongooser
12-20-2006, 22:30
Anyone?

Dave1984
12-20-2006, 22:38
descr_effect_impacts and descr_artillery_effects possibly, I haven't really tested them.

shifty157
12-20-2006, 23:06
Its the velocity of the projectile or the mass of the mount for cavalry.

itkotw
12-20-2006, 23:15
The value you are looking for is in the file descr_area_effects.xml. The number you want to change is <impulse_force>425.0</impulse_force>. This determines how they are knocked on their butts (,but this value does not effect how many soldiers die in the explosion, just how much they are thrown around).

I have tested a lower number (makes the men just lean away from the explosion) and a lot higher (4000 throws everyone in the blast radius into the air).

Hint- open the .xml file with a text editor (note pad)

Good luck, keep those questions coming.

mongooser
12-21-2006, 02:37
Thanks itkotw, i was just searching around for that force constant and you seem to have found it =). I understand that the damage of the projectile is set in the units description, the SFX for the hit is set in the impact effects and the force of the hit on surrounding units is set on the area_effects xml like you just said =).

One more thing i want to know, is it possible to make this force shockwave propagate slowly over an area?

mor dan
12-22-2006, 07:10
The value you are looking for is in the file descr_area_effects.xml. The number you want to change is <impulse_force>425.0</impulse_force>. This determines how they are knocked on their butts (,but this value does not effect how many soldiers die in the explosion, just how much they are thrown around).

I have tested a lower number (makes the men just lean away from the explosion) and a lot higher (4000 throws everyone in the blast radius into the air).

Hint- open the .xml file with a text editor (note pad)

Good luck, keep those questions coming.

that sounds hellah cool... i might have to do that for some fun screenies.:idea2: