PDA

View Full Version : How to choose general's body guards?

alexfenway
12-20-2006, 19:32
Hi, Does anyone know how to change which units go into the bodyguard of a particular faction? Like say I want to have Knights hospitallers as the bodyguards of my sicilian generals, is that possible, and can it be done without giving all other se generals the same units?

mor dan
12-21-2006, 21:18
to do this you will need to create a new unit to assign as the Sicilian bodyguard unit. try this thread...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75706

the game won't allow units that are not "unique" in name to exist and will CTD upon start of the game. for example, if wanted to mod just the Roman Brutii Archers in RTW, all i had to do was copy the unit info, paste it in, remove Scipii, Senate, and Julii from the owners, and then mod the unit as i desire. this unit would become availabel to me at the same time as the other factions, but with my newly altered stats.

this won't work in MII:TW. you have to create a unique unit.

alexfenway
12-22-2006, 21:56
Thanks for the reply, thats a great link thanks. Now how do I make sure my sicilian generals are these units instead of the regular SE generals bodyguards?

mor dan
12-23-2006, 02:21
here is your SE Late Bodyguard unit:

type SE Late Bodyguard
dictionary SE_Late_Bodyguard ; General's Bodyguard
category cavalry
class heavy
voice_type General
banner faction main_cavalry
banner holy crusade_cavalry
soldier SE_Late_Bodyguard, 16, 0, 1
mount armoured horse
mount_effect elephant -4, camel -4
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, general_unit, general_unit_upgrade
formation 2, 4.4, 3, 6, 2, square
stat_health 2, 0
stat_pri 13, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr no
stat_sec 14, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 9, 5, 3, metal
;stat_armour_ex 9, 11, 0, 0, 5, 3, 3, metal
stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
stat_heat 4
stat_ground 0, 0, -4, 0
stat_mental 11, normal, trained
stat_charge_dist 45
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 870, 250, 120, 95, 870, 1, 210
armour_ug_levels 5, 6
armour_ug_models SE_Late_Bodyguard, SE_Late_Bodyguard_ug1
ownership spain, portugal, milan, venice, papal_states
era 2 spain, portugal, milan, venice, papal_states
;unit_info 13, 0, 34

when you create the new unit, change the name to:

type Sicilian Late Bodyguard
dictionary Sicilian_Late_Bodyguard ; General's Bodyguard
category cavalry
class heavy
voice_type General
banner faction main_cavalry
banner holy crusade_cavalry
soldier Knights_Hospitaller, 16, 0, 1
mount armoured horse
mount_effect elephant -4, camel -4
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, general_unit, general_unit_upgrade
formation 2, 4.4, 3, 6, 2, square
stat_health 2, 0
stat_pri 13, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr no
stat_sec 14, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 9, 5, 3, metal
;stat_armour_ex 9, 11, 0, 0, 5, 3, 3, metal
stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
stat_heat 4
stat_ground 0, 0, -4, 0
stat_mental 11, normal, trained
stat_charge_dist 45
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 870, 250, 120, 95, 870, 1, 210
armour_ug_levels 3, 4, 5
armour_ug_models Knights_Hospitaller, Knights_Hospitaller_ug1, Knights_Hospitaller_ug2
ownership sicily
;unit_info 13, 0, 34

use the link on creating a new unit as a checklist for all of the changes you need to make. notice here than i removed sicily from the SE Late Bodyguard ownership. you may actually want to create 2 units to keep in line with the game function and have a Sicilian Early Bodyguard and a Sicilian Late Bodyguard. just follow the direction from the above link for creating new units and you should be fine.

Musashi
12-23-2006, 03:33
But how does the game know to make that unit the bodyguard unit for your generals?

Oh never mind... I see it. The General_Unit and General_Unit_Upgrade flags. Brilliant.

Thanks, I've been trying to figure this out. Now I can make my Generals have my Dragoons for the late period bodyguard :D

PS: As long as he's using the Knights Hospitalier Soldier and Armor Upgrade model entries, he won't have to mess around with the model db file :D

alexfenway
12-23-2006, 19:38
Mor Dan you rock! Great going, I'll give that a shot this weekend. Merry Christmas!!

mor dan
12-24-2006, 19:24
Mor Dan you rock! Great going, I'll give that a shot this weekend. Merry Christmas!!

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Actually it's Musashi that rocks. I couldn't have done anything at all without his guide to adding to new units.

Musashi
12-24-2006, 22:22
I mostly just put together information that was available elsewhere :)

mor dan
12-24-2006, 22:46
ok, so we suck and pirate info equally = )

wait a minute...

alpaca
12-25-2006, 17:25
ok, so we suck and pirate info equally = )

wait a minute...
Yep, that's generally right :inquisitive:

Nah, you both do some quality work and are very helpful, keep it up :whip:

Hybris
12-25-2006, 23:44
Doesn't work for me at all. The bodyguard in the campaign still appears as the "normal" one. Did anyone else tried this out?

scsscsfanfan
12-26-2006, 09:37
may be wants to check if you deleted the faction having the new bodyguard from the "normal bodyguard" avaliable list.

Hybris
12-26-2006, 14:12
may be wants to check if you deleted the faction having the new bodyguard from the "normal bodyguard" avaliable list.

In which file do i have to check this? I deleted them from the "normal" bodyguards in the export_descr_unit.txt. I thought that was enough o.O

Musashi
12-27-2006, 01:06
If you deleted the original bodyguard unit from export_descr_unit.txt, and they're still showing up in the game, then you must not be using the mod switch or file first flag correctly, because it's not actually using your modified file. If it was, there is no way the unit could show up in the game once it's deleted from that file.

Hybris
12-28-2006, 14:52
If you deleted the original bodyguard unit from export_descr_unit.txt, and they're still showing up in the game, then you must not be using the mod switch or file first flag correctly, because it's not actually using your modified file. If it was, there is no way the unit could show up in the game once it's deleted from that file.

If i understand you correctly, there is no way to change the bodyguard. Cant believe that.:embarassed:

Hybris
12-28-2006, 23:18
nervermind, i solved the problem.

rorarii
12-29-2006, 01:12
I wish Governors were seperated from Generals, then governors could stay at home (no movement) and have a unit of Home-guard soldiers to protect the settlement .. probably elite archers or spearmen.

This would solve a number of problems, AI leaving settlements undefended and Generals who abandon armies just to govern settlements.

R