12-20-2006, 23:34
From Oleo´s post:

Forget my previous suggestions:

EB with BI:

- have a proper 1.6 BI with EB

- Make a shortcut with a targetline:

"your install folder\RomeTW-BI.exe" -mod:eb -nm -show_err

- make a copy of
your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign and rename that copy to barbarian_invasion (you should now have two folders in that location)

- make a copy of
your install folder\eb\data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

and rename that copy to: barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.

-delete
your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\base\map.rwm

Fire up EB through your newly created shortcut and you'll find campaign and custom battle working with BI (at least I did :laugh4: )

Bava
12-21-2006, 00:12
I read the thread "How to play with BI-exe", pretty confusing i have to say.

I decided to make things not overly complicated and simply changed the eb-shortcut to the bi-exe and...it works. ~D

It looks like this (EB 0.8 is just the old RTW folder):
"D:\Games\EB 0.8\RomeTW-BI.exe" -mod:eb -show_err -nm

Stable as a rock, 2 full campaigns with 5 CTDs overall.

The only thing that might be a problem related to BI were rebel stacks with gold upgrades but that happened only twice.

Edit: Found it https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=74213

-Praetor-
12-22-2006, 01:32
Okey, I`m going to try changing the path of the Eb shortcut from RTW.exe to BI.exe.

Thanks!!!!

Mr Kaplan
12-22-2006, 12:06
As I said elsewhere a few days ago custom and historical battles do not work playing with BI exe! Has anyone found the problem?:wall:

Bava
12-22-2006, 15:05
Maybe BI has a different folder structure? Dunno...

Until this prob is solved i have 2 shortcuts on my desktop, one BI (for campaigns) , one RTW 1.5 (for custom battles).

Edit: i forgot to add that you need to select a provincial campaign in order to play an imperial campaign.

Fleeb
12-22-2006, 16:02
I suggest starting your campaign with RomeTW.exe, then saving and loading it using RomeTW-BI.exe. If you start your campaign with BI you won't be able to apply certain preferences like "disable battle timer" and the like.

Gazius
12-22-2006, 16:25
I suggest starting your campaign with RomeTW.exe, then saving and loading it using RomeTW-BI.exe. If you start your campaign with BI you won't be able to apply certain preferences like "disable battle timer" and the like.

:inquisitive: :dizzy2:

You go into game options and it says something akin to "Enbattle campaign battle timer" or something like that. Infact, your able to apply every preference you want in BI that you can in RTW. One more infact, which can be ported to RTW but its not of much use since it screws up the EB scripts.

Fleeb
12-22-2006, 20:55
Huh. Didn't even think to do that. I'm used to setting my prefs on the faction selection screen. When I start an EB campaign using BI the only options are the difficulty settings and the "manage all settlements" option.

blank
12-25-2006, 03:13

Campaign saves made with RTW.exe don't work with BI.exe :egypt:

Gazius
12-25-2006, 09:25
Campaign saves made with RTW.exe don't work with BI.exe :egypt:

Actually, they do.

sages
01-05-2007, 23:57
Are there any benefits to using the BI executable instead of the 1.5 executable?

Pode
01-06-2007, 01:20
As K-raso said in the OP, slightly better AI and AI that isn't afraid to use ships to transport armies. The last one is the big advantage, otherwise the Punic Wars are kinda feeble, and poor Casse is screwed, blued, and tatooed. Of course, even with BI.exe, they're still blued and tatooed :laugh4:

sages
01-06-2007, 03:16
"As K-raso said in the OP, slightly better AI and AI that isn't afraid to use ships to transport armies. The last one is the big advantage, otherwise the Punic Wars are kinda feeble, and poor Casse is screwed, blued, and tatooed. Of course, even with BI.exe, they're still blued and tatooed :laugh4:"

So I see now. :=) Looks good. I may have to start doing this.

CountArach
01-09-2007, 08:37
Oh how I love the BI.exe.

Playing as Qarthadast, the Romans invaded Corsica to start the First Punic War.

Rogge
01-10-2007, 13:36
Gonna give it a try with 0.81 because I take there is no known serious issues playing with BI?

Mr Kaplan
01-10-2007, 15:37
We already know that playing with BI.exe is more challenging. But we still do not know how to play custom battles with BI.exe because of CTDs:wall: . Has anyone found the problem?:embarassed:

Any help?

adishee
01-13-2007, 15:47
BI really does make a difference, as Rome I took Sardegna and Corsica, installed garrisons and returned my vet legion I used for retraining. Carthage sent like 2 stacks to retake Sardegna, so I sent my legion back there to capture it to find the Carthaginian stakes had sailed to Corsica and took that too. I'm chasing these assholes around the Tyrrannian. It's odd though, I did a Rome campaign with 1.5 and the fight for Sicily was downright bitter, I mean they were actually pushing me back at times and (I was trying). This time they havn't made any advances and I don't see any armies near Carthage or Lilibeum(sp?), but then I didn't before and they produced 2 stacks out of nowhere to take the islands back. We'll see what they do after I take Syracusa. Loving Bi.

-Praetor-
01-13-2007, 17:57
BI really does make a difference, as Rome I took Sardegna and Corsica, installed garrisons and returned my vet legion I used for retraining. Carthage sent like 2 stacks to retake Sardegna, so I sent my legion back there to capture it to find the Carthaginian stakes had sailed to Corsica and took that too. I'm chasing these assholes around the Tyrrannian. It's odd though, I did a Rome campaign with 1.5 and the fight for Sicily was downright bitter, I mean they were actually pushing me back at times and (I was trying). This time they havn't made any advances and I don't see any armies near Carthage or Lilibeum(sp?), but then I didn't before and they produced 2 stacks out of nowhere to take the islands back. We'll see what they do after I take Syracusa. Loving Bi.

The problem with carthaginean Sicily and the roaming little tsorim stacks in Italy, wandering and trying to reach Iberia by land, are explained by the landbridge in the Messanna Strait.

I humbly ask to remove it.

If the AI wouldn`t interprete that Sicily is part of the continent, thus forming part of the same landmass on which is Iberia, thus trying to send reinforcements to Sicily, from Iberia, by land, thus rendering the island defenseless cuz of the delay of reinforcements...

:rolleyes:

...then the AI would send ships with reinforcements from carthage itself.

So, plz remove that landbridge. It`s causing trouble. :rtwno:

And perhaps, it may also cause problems with the carthaginean AI stacks in Iberia (they usually have 1 full stack in Hercules Columns, near Gadir, just sitting there). Dunno how the remotion of the landbridge in Sicily would affect something that happens in Gadir, but it`s worth trying...

Cheers!!!! :medievalcheers:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-13-2007, 22:08
The problem with carthaginean Sicily and the roaming little tsorim stacks in Italy, wandering and trying to reach Iberia by land, are explained by the landbridge in the Messanna Strait.

I humbly ask to remove it.

If the AI wouldn`t interprete that Sicily is part of the continent, thus forming part of the same landmass on which is Iberia, thus trying to send reinforcements to Sicily, from Iberia, by land, thus rendering the island defenseless cuz of the delay of reinforcements...

:rolleyes:

...then the AI would send ships with reinforcements from carthage itself.

So, plz remove that landbridge. It`s causing trouble. :rtwno:

And perhaps, it may also cause problems with the carthaginean AI stacks in Iberia (they usually have 1 full stack in Hercules Columns, near Gadir, just sitting there). Dunno how the remotion of the landbridge in Sicily would affect something that happens in Gadir, but it`s worth trying...

Cheers!!!! :medievalcheers:

The Problem is that official EB is for 1.5, and in 1.5 the landbridge is needed. This would have to go into the PE alterations catagory.

Ludens
01-13-2007, 22:18
The Problem is that official EB is for 1.5, and in 1.5 the landbridge is needed. This would have to go into the PE alterations catagory.
It also happens in 1.5, I am quite sure of that. I haven't played a Romani campaign yet, but it also happens in Blue Lotus.

-Praetor-
01-13-2007, 23:01

That landbridge causes more troubles than the benefits it gives.

Besides, what`s the point of that landbridge, when the Romanii, in a good percentage of times, doesn`t conquer Rhegion?

Besides, the fact that in 1.6, agressive naval invasions are more frequent, doesn`t mean that 1.5 AI doesn`t try them altogether.

They are just less frequent (a lot, that`s true). But I`ve seen many times that the Romanii conquer Corsica and Sardinia...

Cheers!!!

adishee
01-14-2007, 20:49
Does anybody know how to do this? It's got to be a pretty simple fix. I still don't get why, then, 1.5 would be much harder in Sicily. Because in 1.6 they just ship troops straight to Iberia instead of sending them through Sicily? So essentially Sicily is so hard in 1.5 due to the AI being stupid, or less so then in 1.6? ..:wall:

Gazius
01-17-2007, 09:23
I've been searching on the forum, but haven't found anything actually useful. How do I remove/add landbridges in my own game?

hellenes
01-19-2007, 00:55
As I said elsewhere a few days ago custom and historical battles do not work playing with BI exe! Has anyone found the problem?:wall:

I have the same problem...
Its strange how Chivalry Total War plays fine with the BI exe....with custom and historical battles!!!

Edit:

FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!
Hehehe!!!
You just have to make a folder called: barbarian_invasion in the data/world/campaign folder and copy all the content of the imperial_campaign folder to that!!!!
Ive just played a custom battle spartans vs pontus!!!

Mr Kaplan
01-19-2007, 09:08
Last!!!
Thanks a lot Hellenes. I am at work now. I will try it this afternoon.:bow:

Janius
01-19-2007, 13:18
Hellenes, I can't seem to get it to work :sweatdrop:

I take it I have to copy the content of the "imperial_campaign" folder located in
"Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign"

to a new made "barbarian_invasion" folder. But where do I have to place it?

I've got three "data/world/maps/campaign" folders (RTW, BI and EB).

In which one do I have to copy the files :help:

Thx in advance :clown:

Mr Kaplan
01-19-2007, 17:20
Janius, I have got the same problem. Any idea?
:help:

hellenes
01-19-2007, 20:51
Hellenes, I can't seem to get it to work :sweatdrop:

I take it I have to copy the content of the "imperial_campaign" folder located in
"Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign"

to a new made "barbarian_invasion" folder. But where do I have to place it?

I've got three "data/world/maps/campaign" folders (RTW, BI and EB).

In which one do I have to copy the files :help:

Thx in advance :clown:

In the Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\campaign\ folder.... :2thumbsup:

Janius
01-19-2007, 22:01
Thx for the answer Hellenes :2thumbsup:

Hmm, I tried it, but I get a Windows Error :wall:

Could this be because I have Barbarian Invasion installed?

Mr Kaplan
01-19-2007, 22:29
Not working for me either.:embarassed: I have got Bi + 1.6 patch installed.:help:

hellenes
01-20-2007, 00:09
strange.... :inquisitive:
ive just played a custom battle of spartans in Shield wall formation vs the roman legionarre...
Ive just did that what I wrote...and it worked.... :dizzy2:

Oleo
01-20-2007, 15:08
Thx for the answer Hellenes :2thumbsup:

Hmm, I tried it, but I get a Windows Error :wall:

Could this be because I have Barbarian Invasion installed?

Isnt the whole point to get custom battles to work through a BI installation?

It doesnt work for me either by the way.

Janius
01-20-2007, 17:32
I thought it wasn't necessary to have BI installed, just the BI exe in the right place...

Haven't tried it without installing BI though, so I may be wrong :oops:

Lord Gruffles
01-21-2007, 05:20
Strong evidence that playing EB with BI makes for a much more aggressive AI:

http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/EB_BI_1.jpg

Rome has invaded Epeiros lands and Carthage has made a strong move in Sicily.

Both in 270bc! ~:eek:

Lord Gruffles
02-04-2007, 20:10
http://www.montanasentinel.com/gruffles/pics/EB/rhodos_invasion_268bc.jpg

Noway that happens with the RTW.exe either.

EB with BI rocks

:yes:

Birka Viking
02-04-2007, 23:53
Is it worth buying BI?? Cant u still play Custom battles???

Lord Gruffles
02-05-2007, 01:45
I think so. It can't be that expensive. Although you might have a hard time finding it, at this point, outside the RTW Gold Pack which comes with it. I never bothered with the Alexander Expansion, however. Too many people said it was lame.

Zarax
02-05-2007, 09:51

Custom battles can be played with a few extra arrangements to the folder structure, see XGM for examples.

Mr Kaplan
02-05-2007, 12:57
Could not find these extra arrangements you are talking.
Could you explain us what shall we do in order to play custom battles?:help:
Thanks in advance.

Zarax
02-05-2007, 13:44
You have to make a copy of the imperial_campaign folder and rename it as barbarian_invasion IIRC

Mr Kaplan
02-05-2007, 13:58
Thanks a lot. I'll try it this evening:yes:

Lovejoy
02-05-2007, 22:27
Tell me. Why do some of you have does new city models when I am not?

Anyway.
http://pici.se/pictures/CdT8u3.jpg

I am the Ptole. It all happend on the same turn. Only in BI.exe

Mr Kaplan
02-05-2007, 22:41
Back again
Still having problems playing custom battles with BI.exe

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-06-2007, 00:54
Tell me. Why do some of you have does new city models when I am not?
EB0.80 included the new city models (for greeks and romans) but due to a tiny error they are not loaded, you have to make changes to make them show up. (copy the EB\Data\models_strat\residences over the data\models_strat\residences) It is changed for 0.81.

Lord Gruffles
02-06-2007, 01:13
EB0.80 included the new city models (for greeks and romans) but due to a tiny error they are not loaded, you have to make changes to make them show up. (copy the EB\Data\models_strat\residences over the data\models_strat\residences) It is changed for 0.81.
Copy that file and do what with it?

TYIA

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-06-2007, 01:17
(copy the EB\Data\models_strat\residences...and paste it
...over the data\models_strat\residences)

Lord Gruffles
02-06-2007, 01:22
Oh, thanks. I read that too fast after a long day at work and with my 5 year old pulling at my trousers. :dizzy2:

Cheers

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-06-2007, 01:47
Oh, thanks. I read that too fast after a long day at work and with my 5 year old pulling at my trousers. :dizzy2:

Cheers
No problem. I probably wrote it too fast too. :2thumbsup:

Geoffrey S
02-06-2007, 08:22
If you live in the Netherlands, try the Free Record Shop. Last week I found a copy for eight euros.

Dooz
02-06-2007, 23:54
Man, I tried everything everyone wrote, and then some. Still custom battles won't work with BI. Can someone write full, step-by-step instructions they've tried and know it works for sure?

Mr Kaplan
02-07-2007, 09:13
Thanks Wonderland. I am still also having problems.:wall:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Zarax
02-07-2007, 12:07
Try sending a PM to DimeBagHo, he made custom battles available on BI for XGM and can answer for sure...

Thorlof
02-07-2007, 14:35
New version formation AI to EB with BI http://files.filefront.com/TBS_to_EB_with_BIrar/;6704395;;/fileinfo.html

skuzzy
02-07-2007, 20:38
I renamed the the path to RTW-BI.exe in the shortcut but since RTW is Imperial_campaign it didn't work. Although, I pressed Provincial Campaign while EB was loaded with BI and then selected Imperial Campaign from the Provincial Campaign menu and everything worked other than it gives me errors saying it cannot find data/maps/aerial_map/terrain/textures/eb_cypress_a.cas and basically every file in the textures folder although the folder does exist with cypress_a.cas, etc... So I copied and renamed all the files eb_cypress_a.cas etc but it still didn't work. I will try just copying imperial_campaign folder and putting its contents into barbarian_invasion to see if that works.

Mr Kaplan
02-07-2007, 22:55
Great, I will be waiting.:yes:

skuzzy
02-08-2007, 15:29
To follow up... nope. When I copied imperial_campaign into barbarian_invasion I was able to select Imperial Campaign from the start menu as a game choice but upon loading it froze. I have a feeling it is relevant to those missing textures when I used Provincial Campaign setting. Has anyone else gotten that error? Other than that one textures folder all the others load.

Oleo
02-09-2007, 14:07
I just played a custom battle with EB through bi 1.6, Ill post how within half an hour, gotta try to fix an error first and figure out how to get screenshots when using vista (they end up black :no: ).

Zarax
02-09-2007, 14:18
Screenshots works fine on my vista, you might want to check for your video card driver updates...

Oleo
02-09-2007, 14:56
So I read on the XGM forum that BI cant handle the -mod structure. So to work around that and get custom battles working under BI, try the following (you wont be able to play BI 1.6 anymore with this build after this):

- Have a properly working 1.6 BI with EB. (For some reason my XP build didnt have that, my Vista build did, so it worked under Vista only, until I copied that data-folder to my xp-build)

- Delete the folder "your installation folder"\BI\data

- Copy the folder "your installation folder"\EB\data to "your installation folder"\BI

- Make a copy of the folder "your installation folder"\bi\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign, so you have to two of them in that location

- rename one of these two folders to barbarian_invasion

- copy the file descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt from "your installation folder"\BI\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign to "your installation folder"\BI\data\world\maps\base.

- make a new shortcut (or use an old one) with this target line: "your installation folder\RTW EB\RomeTW-BI.exe" -nm -show_err

I hope others have the same success. :2thumbsup:

Spartans (with and without shield_wall) in custom battle:https://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3831/custombattlewe2.th.jpg (https://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=custombattlewe2.jpg)

Screenshots works fine on my vista, you might want to check for your video card driver updates...

I only installed Vista two days ago and dl'ed the drivers from ati-site that day, I'd think the problem might be that I am using a very old screenshotmanager thats not vistacompatible.

EDIT: I had some descr_strat.txt errors with regionnames, which I solved by deleting map.rwm in the bi\data\world\maps\base folder

Mr Kaplan
02-09-2007, 18:25
It did not work to me. Anyway, thanks a lot Oleo.

DeathEmperor
02-09-2007, 23:20
So when you change the target from TW.exe to BI.exe you can play full campaigns with it, but no cutsom or historical battles right?

Unfortunately, I left my copy of BI in another country (really) and I was planning to get Total War: Eras just so I could get a new copy of BI and play an EB campaign with the better ai, although getting to play Medieval 1 and Shogun will be cool. :laugh4:

So the steps to install it are: install RTW = patch to 1.5 and then install Barbarian Invasion = patch BI to 1.6 then install EB right. Just wanted to make sure I do it right so corrections and suggestions would me much appreciated.

Thank you to all of you in advance.:2thumbsup:

Fleeb
02-10-2007, 01:35
Sounds right to me. All that's left is to change the shortcut target.

Dooz
02-10-2007, 06:14
No way Oleo! I'm trying it right now, will report back when all the file transfers are done and I've attempted a battle. ~D

-edit-
Oh my sweet, sweet lord. It worked! Thank you Oleo! Appreciate this a great deal good man. Worked like a charm, the only problem was when I exited the game, I got this error message.

https://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4941/errorag9.jpg

But that's just when exiting the game completely, no the battle or anything. But I seem to remember always getting weird error messages when I exit BI or BI mods. Might you, or anyone else, know what these are from? Oh and I did delete the map.rwm, just in case that was a possibility.

Anyways, your solution should be up in the EB FAQ. I'll post something there linking your post.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-10-2007, 07:47
Isn't that the message you get when you don't add starting religious divisions in a BI mod?

Oleo
02-10-2007, 12:11
No way Oleo! I'm trying it right now, will report back when all the file transfers are done and I've attempted a battle. ~D

-edit-
Oh my sweet, sweet lord. It worked! Thank you Oleo! Appreciate this a great deal good man. Worked like a charm, the only problem was when I exited the game, I got this error message.

But that's just when exiting the game completely, no the battle or anything. But I seem to remember always getting weird error messages when I exit BI or BI mods. Might you, or anyone else, know what these are from? Oh and I did delete the map.rwm, just in case that was a possibility.

Anyways, your solution should be up in the EB FAQ. I'll post something there linking your post.

For me that error message dissappeared when moving descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt to the base folder as pointed out in the 6th point of the instructions.

EDIT: its weird though, I installed fresh on my XP-build and everything worked fine except for this error. After deleting map.rwm it still wasnt working, then deleting map.rwm from the base folder and descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt from the campaign\barbarian_invasion folder the error disappeared all of a sudden.

Oleo
02-10-2007, 17:00
It did not work to me. Anyway, thanks a lot Oleo.

Have you tried deleting/renaming map.rwm in bi\data\world\maps\base?

Dooz
02-10-2007, 20:37
For me that error message dissappeared when moving descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt to the base folder as pointed out in the 6th point of the instructions.

EDIT: its weird though, I installed fresh on my XP-build and everything worked fine except for this error. After deleting map.rwm it still wasnt working, then deleting map.rwm from the base folder and descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt from the campaign\barbarian_invasion folder the error disappeared all of a sudden.

Ah, I hadn't actually removed the file from the original folder, just copy pasted as the instruction didn't specify to remove it, just to copy. I'll delete the file in the original folder now and try again.

Oleo
02-10-2007, 20:40
Ah, I hadn't actually removed the file from the original folder, just copy pasted as the instruction didn't specify to remove it, just to copy. I'll delete the file in the original folder now and try again.

I am not so sure about the correct procedure yet, so trial and error does the trick for me at the moment. :laugh4:

Edit: Replied within 3 minutes, I might be checking the forums too often :laugh4:

Dooz
02-10-2007, 20:49
Hehe, the Guild and EB have that power Oleo, no worries. Anyhoo, I removed it but it still gave the error. No big deal I suppose, it'll eventually be fixed. I'm just enjoying being able to play custom and campaign with the same shortcut and engine. :2thumbsup:

Ludens
02-10-2007, 21:06
Oleo, I have followed your instructions and it works. However, I am not entirely sure whether I should use the Imperial or the regional one. They appear to be identical, but the regional campaign uses normal unit size, which I don't like.

DeathEmperor
02-10-2007, 21:59
So wait, you can't change th unit sizes if you play with bi.exe? Damn I always play on huge settings (I love big battles) so this will be pretty hard for me to swallow, but I'll get used to it I guess.

skuzzy
02-10-2007, 23:37
Oleo, trying the method you used I got the same error message as Wonderland, unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of getting it upon exit. So I received that error and it crashed (yes I have moved the descr_region_and_settlement file to the appropriate folder and have deleted map.rwn from base) Thanks though, apparently it works for others!

Oleo
02-11-2007, 10:48
Oleo, I have followed your instructions and it works. However, I am not entirely sure whether I should use the Imperial or the regional one. They appear to be identical, but the regional campaign uses normal unit size, which I don't like.

I guess you should use the other one then :laugh4:
Seriously, I have no idea whether there are other differences between the two, so I guess the imperial one should be fine.

For those with errors, I myself am having errors as well, I am trying to sort them out, hopefully I can get rid of them (or maybe someone else), its a nice puzzle anyway. :beam:

Ludens
02-11-2007, 14:46
I guess you should use the other one then :laugh4:
Seriously, I have no idea whether there are other differences between the two, so I guess the imperial one should be fine.
Right, thanks.

Oleo
02-11-2007, 15:04
I cant figure out how to get rid of that descr_regions.txt error without losing custom battles, it just doesnt make sense to me..

So Ive been triying out an alternative way of getting custom battles working. Instead of using bi\data, we can also use RTW's data folder. Unfortunately there is a couple of errors that come with that (vanilla images instead of EB's) and Ill need someone with more modding skills to help me out how to get rid of them (I cant find the right files). First the procedure:

All you have to do is:

- delete the world folder located at: your install folder\Data\world (it also works without doing this, but this will get rid of files that are not needed)

- copy the contents of your install folder\EB\Data to your install folder\data and overwrite when asked.

- make a shortcut with targetline: "......your install folder\RomeTW-BI.exe" -mod: -nm -show_err

- del map.rwm inside your install folder\data\world\maps\base

All we have to figure out is whats not working properly and how to fix it.

Problem 1: vanilla advisor portraits.
Problem 2: vanilla buttons for locating the general on the battlemap.
Problem 3: A lot of unnecessary RTW-files will remain in the rtw\data folder as I am not sure which can be discarded and which can not.
Problem 4: Some vanilla buildings, temple complexes, garrisons, governors buildings.

Now lets see if this works better than the Bi\data attempt.

Mr Kaplan
02-11-2007, 21:49
The Gods might be against me.:oops: No way to play custom battles. I will wait the 0.81 version release...

mcantu
02-11-2007, 22:51
So wait, you can't change th unit sizes if you play with bi.exe? Damn I always play on huge settings (I love big battles) so this will be pretty hard for me to swallow, but I'll get used to it I guess.

You definitely can change the unit size. I play with BI on huge...

Lord Gruffles
02-12-2007, 04:12
Ditto. I play on huge also.

DeathEmperor
02-12-2007, 22:47
You definitely can change the unit size. I play with BI on huge...
Kick ass! :beam:

Oh yeah one final question, since I'm getting Total War: Eras will I just have to install RTW = Barbarian Invasion & patch 1.6 = and then EB = changing the target from Total War\TW.exe to BI.exe?

Please answer as soon as you can as I now have a job (yay!) and can afford to spend my hoarded money to get TW: Eras. :2thumbsup:

skuzzy
02-16-2007, 01:18
Does anyone actually have a resource that specifies the differences in the EXE when reading script files between RTW and RTW:BI? If so, I would be willing to do the manual labor of making a more realistic port to BI with the upcoming 0.81 but I do not know much anything about the RTW scripts or script engine. Although I do know that there are BI mods so somebody must know the differences!

Dooz
02-18-2007, 23:06
Hey Oleo, I just installed 0.81 and did this method again. The custom battles work but now campaign doesn't start. It just goes back to the main menu. Any ideas as to why or how to fix it?

-edit-
Both methods of starting a campaign don't work. Either directly from the main menu, choosing the EB main campaign, or going through the provincial campaign and choosing it. They both kick back out to the menu.

Lord Gruffles
02-18-2007, 23:54
Hey Oleo, I just installed 0.81 and did this method again. The custom battles work but now campaign doesn't start. It just goes back to the main menu. Any ideas as to why or how to fix it?

-edit-
Both methods of starting a campaign don't work. Either directly from the main menu, choosing the EB main campaign, or going through the provincial campaign and choosing it. They both kick back out to the menu.
I tried the same thing and resorted to putting everything back to normal v.81 and just changing the shortcut. BI Campaigns now work. I don't play custom battles anyway so I'm not losing anything. I'm sure some bright modder will come along with a solution to the custom battles problem soon.:idea2:

skuzzy
02-19-2007, 08:33
For those of you that have it working by some grace of God, when you boot up does the vanilla BI loading bar override the EB one? I'm no longer receiving texture errors for the campaign with 0.81 now it's nice enough to just send me back to the desktop without saying anything.

Oleo
02-19-2007, 15:07
Edit: NVM

Oleo
02-19-2007, 17:49

EB with BI:

- make a copy of
your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign and rename that copy to barbarian_invasion (you should now have two folders in that location)

- make a copy of
your install folder\eb\data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

-delete

Fire up EB through your newly created shortcut and you'll find campaign and custom battle working with BI (at least I did :laugh4: )

PantsToucher
02-20-2007, 00:32
Just to clarify, if one doesn't want to mess with all those steps to get custom battles working, just adding -BI to the shortcut path will allow play on the BI exe, correct?

I've tried it, and it seems to be working by the way.

Dooz
02-20-2007, 03:05
Awesome O! Works beautifully. Question though, if I already started a campaign with the BI.exe using the provincial campaign - EB main campaign method, is that the same as if I had used the main campaign right through the main menu? What's the difference? It's still using BI with all it's advantages right?

skuzzy
02-20-2007, 03:53
I keep getting to partially work with v0.80 and v0.81 the ../aerial_maps/trees/*.cas will not load for some reason. And I also noticed that for v0.81 the new empire view city structures were as of old. So obviously it just ignores like half of the EB scripts but all the units and their starting positions, the flags, main screen, interface load etc... It is angering me. I don't know why it magically works for everyone else!

Oleo
02-20-2007, 17:44
Awesome O! Works beautifully. Question though, if I already started a campaign with the BI.exe using the provincial campaign - EB main campaign method, is that the same as if I had used the main campaign right through the main menu? What's the difference? It's still using BI with all it's advantages right?

I dont think there is a difference.

I must say though, Ive had 3 ctds so far with BI, it might be because of BI, it might be vista, it could even be a bad install. I am not sure.. I guess only time will tell.

PantsToucher
02-20-2007, 20:14
I dont think there is a difference.

I must say though, Ive had 3 ctds so far with BI, it might be because of BI, it might be vista, it could even be a bad install. I am not sure.. I guess only time will tell.

Yeah, that would be strange if there was a difference between the two methods. Are your ctds repeatable? I had a couple playing .8 on BI, but I think they were more related to memory issues than the mod, as both times I could continue playing without moving characters around or anything. Perhaps vista is sucking up too much memory or something? Just an idea.

Oleo
02-20-2007, 20:52
Yeah, that would be strange if there was a difference between the two methods. Are your ctds repeatable? I had a couple playing .8 on BI, but I think they were more related to memory issues than the mod, as both times I could continue playing without moving characters around or anything. Perhaps vista is sucking up too much memory or something? Just an idea.

The ctd's were not repeatable although two of them happened in the same turn, during different AI-factions turns around 269BC.

The third one I described here https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79750

Right now I am playing 10 year without problems, everything looks normal (except for my early game expansion :sweatdrop:)

Birka Viking
02-26-2007, 01:04
I still wonder how much better BI is than rtw 1,5?? Is it so much better...or??
If thats the case I order it now..LOL..

Janius
02-26-2007, 20:41
Well the ai seems more 'intelligent'.
In my current campaign (Romani VH-H), I lost control over Sicily within a year.
I was besieging the western most city of Sicily (Can't remember its name :sweatdrop:), when Qart-hadast landed a full stack to support the city. My army got annihilated, and thus Sicily became defenseless. A turn later they had split that army and moved near my borders, next turn both my cities were besieged, and I lost them a turn later.

Don't know if ai is so much better in BI then in RTW, but I think it is :2thumbsup:

Oleo
02-26-2007, 20:47
I cant tell whether BI is better as I havent played on 1.5 much. I do remember that in 1.2 (and also in my one 1.5 campaign) I didnt get many naval invasions, in my Arverni-BI campaign Carthage is attacking Tolosa (Toulouse, France) every 2 years. Note that they have yet only expanded in Africa, their armies come from Algeria and Balears. Crete and Rhodos (including Pontic invasions) as well as other Islands and coasts suffer from naval invasions all the time etc.

Birka Viking
02-26-2007, 22:50
Cool maby I will soon order it then...Thanks guys:balloon2:
Cheers

Dooz
02-27-2007, 09:44
It's definately worth it BK, definately. Especially if you can get just the expansion itself, it'll be dirt cheap by now I'd assume. It just feels better than 1.5

Ludens
02-27-2007, 17:10
I still wonder how much better BI is than rtw 1,5?? Is it so much better...or??
I was told that R:TW 1.5 is essentially the same program as BI 1.6 with a few options switched off, but I find that the campaign A.I. is somewhat better in consilidating and using its stacks, and I think there is some improvement on the battlefield as well. But don't expect major improvements in the A.I.: it's still not very competent.

Makr
03-01-2007, 03:48
I was told that R:TW 1.5 is essentially the same program as BI 1.6 with a few options switched off, but I find that the campaign A.I. is somewhat better in consilidating and using its stacks, and I think there is some improvement on the battlefield as well. But don't expect major improvements in the A.I.: it's still not very competent.

Is there any reason not to use BI.exe?

dutch81
03-14-2007, 14:58
Is there any reason not to use BI.exe?

No official support from the EB team, but Oleo is always there for help as you can tell from this thread and many of the others in which he contributes.

soibean
03-15-2007, 17:42
does porting the game to BI effect the ability to get patches from the team? i.e. are files still going to the right folders when you do this etc?

also is anyone working on a mod to introduce religions to EB?

Dooz
03-15-2007, 22:48
does porting the game to BI effect the ability to get patches from the team? i.e. are files still going to the right folders when you do this etc?

also is anyone working on a mod to introduce religions to EB?

Nope, patches work just fine. Everything goes in the same place, the EB folder in the RTW directory. Using modswitch, it doesn't matter whether you use RTW or BI.

MoROmeTe
03-20-2007, 16:57
Is there any chance that going through the BI executable causes CTD non-persistent on the Eleutheroi turn? Seems to happen a lot in my Getai campaigns..

Oleo
03-20-2007, 19:01
There is always a chance, but I dont think it matters.

Southern Hunter
04-08-2007, 14:38
I did have 0.8 working with BI, and installed some mods on top of it. Short story - it stopped working.

So tonight I have spent the night re-installing everything. I have a Rome directory with 1.6 and BI installed. Works fine as BI.

Copied that entire directory over to another directory called EB81a. Also works fine as BI.

Installed the latest and greatest EB81a using the full installer into this directory. Now have an EB directory full of data.

Use 'Oleos Method of 20 Feb' to mess around with a couple of directories, and change the shortcut.

When I try to fire it up with BI or with RTW, I get the following error.

Script Error in eb/data/settlement plans/oasis.txt, at line 11, column 1

Name not recognised: 'oasis lake' - make sure you defined it in descr_building_battle.txt, or as a slot or group in descr_Settlement_plan.txt

Any suggestions about what I am doing wrong? I cannot play EB with RTW or BI now.

Watchman
04-08-2007, 14:42
You sure it's not a shortcut syntax problem ? If the directory path you have the files under is "eb081a/****" and the shortcut switch is "-mod:eb", I can see how there could be issues...

Actually, given that most of the file path references in EB start with "eb/" I can see how there could be a lot of issues.

Southern Hunter
04-08-2007, 16:20
You sure it's not a shortcut syntax problem ? If the directory path you have the files under is "eb081a/****" and the shortcut switch is "-mod:eb", I can see how there could be issues...

Actually, given that most of the file path references in EB start with "eb/" I can see how there could be a lot of issues.

I don't see how it causes issues, but in any case, I have now changed it to "81a/****" and the shortcut on my desktop to point there. Same issue.

----------

OK, fixed. It was the 'oasis bug' that there is a temporary fix for already posted. I will now go and put in all the other permanent and temporary fixes...and update the elephants (since I plan to play Bactria).

One thing....the Hellenic Generals seem to still have Spartan Hoplites as Bodyguards. I thought they were to be changed to Armoured Hoplites?

Watchman
04-08-2007, 21:05
Nah. They had Epikletoi Hoplitai BGs in the last version, but there were such annoying issues with the phalanx mode that in 0.81a they were given Spartans as a manageable placeholder.

the_handsome_viking
06-21-2007, 11:22

EB with BI:

- make a copy of

- make a copy of

-delete

When you say make a copy, what do you do with the copy? where do you put it?

I'm having trouble starting a fresh campaign with BI, I'm getting the same problems wonderland seemed to be having, custom battles works though.

Ludens
06-21-2007, 12:57
When you say make a copy, what do you do with the copy? where do you put it?
You leave it in the same map and rename it to barbarian_invasion.

the_handsome_viking
06-23-2007, 01:08
You leave it in the same map and rename it to barbarian_invasion.

The same map?

P.S. I tried starting a new campaign again, I'm still getting the same problem...

the_handsome_viking
06-23-2007, 01:23
I need to ask a favor.

Assume, and though I understand this is an impossibly hard task but, assume that I'm an idiot.

Now explain to me how to get fresh campaigns to work for EB while using the BI cd.

Please...

d'Arthez
06-23-2007, 03:00
The same map?
He meant folder.

your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
should be copied. Then the copy should be renamed barbarian_invasion.

So you have 2 folders:
1. your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
2. your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion

Hope this was the only issue.

the_handsome_viking
06-23-2007, 04:53
He meant folder.

should be copied. Then the copy should be renamed barbarian_invasion.

So you have 2 folders:
1. your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign
2. your install folder\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\barbarian_invasion

Hope this was the only issue.

When you say folders do you mean two text files? because I've got those two text files in the same folder, it's still not working =(.

d'Arthez
06-23-2007, 22:31
A folder is something like C:\windows or C:\Program Files. A folder contains files or more subfolders. It does not start any application if you click on it (notepad, RomeTW).

If you go in that folder (double clicking) you will see the contents of the respective folder. In case of Windows that includes folders called 'System' and 'System32', and files like regedit.

This is a bit on the extensive side, but I hope it helps.

1. Give a search command for RomeTW-BI.exe on your entire computer. It will tell you where exactly the file is located. In this example, I will assume it is in C:\games\RTW. You will get a search result for C:\games\RTW. In your case it may be different.

2. Go to that folder, by going to "My Computer". Then go to the correct drive, and folder. In the example it would be C drive, then to the folder games and then to the folder RTW. If you look at the contents of the folder you will see a RomeTW-BI.exe.

3. Go to the subfolder EB.

4. Go to the subfolder data

5. Go to the subfolder world

6. Go to the subfolder maps

7. Go to the subfolder campaign

8. you will see the subfolder imperial_campaign.

You need to copy (Control+C) the imperial_campaign folder, and paste (Control+V) it. You will now have two subfolders:
1. imperial_campaign
2. copy of imperial_campaign (can be different if you have a different language version of windows).

9. you need to rename the subfolder 'copy of imperial_campaign' and name it 'barbarian_invasion.'

the_handsome_viking
06-24-2007, 09:31
A folder is something like C:\windows or C:\Program Files. A folder contains files or more subfolders. It does not start any application if you click on it (notepad, RomeTW).

If you go in that folder (double clicking) you will see the contents of the respective folder. In case of Windows that includes folders called 'System' and 'System32', and files like regedit.

This is a bit on the extensive side, but I hope it helps.

1. Give a search command for RomeTW-BI.exe on your entire computer. It will tell you where exactly the file is located. In this example, I will assume it is in C:\games\RTW. You will get a search result for C:\games\RTW. In your case it may be different.

2. Go to that folder, by going to "My Computer". Then go to the correct drive, and folder. In the example it would be C drive, then to the folder games and then to the folder RTW. If you look at the contents of the folder you will see a RomeTW-BI.exe.

3. Go to the subfolder EB.

4. Go to the subfolder data

5. Go to the subfolder world

6. Go to the subfolder maps

7. Go to the subfolder campaign

8. you will see the subfolder imperial_campaign.

You need to copy (Control+C) the imperial_campaign folder, and paste (Control+V) it. You will now have two subfolders:
1. imperial_campaign
2. copy of imperial_campaign (can be different if you have a different language version of windows).

9. you need to rename the subfolder 'copy of imperial_campaign' and name it 'barbarian_invasion.'

It's still not working... this is extremely frustrating.

mcantu
06-24-2007, 13:18
It's still not working... this is extremely frustrating.

Do you have the EB shortcut directed to the RTW-BI.exe and not just the RTW.exe?

the_handsome_viking
06-24-2007, 19:21
Do you have the EB shortcut directed to the RTW-BI.exe and not just the RTW.exe?

I had done all of it correctly.

I just ended up uninstalling everything and reinstalling all over again, and did the same stuff I did the first time, and it works now.

Dunno what the problem was.

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys.

LestaT
07-29-2007, 21:04
Part 1

1 - Rename imperial_campaign folder to barbarian_invasion . This folder is located in the EB/data/world/maps/campaign folder

2 - Open the newly rename barbarian_invasion folder. Inside it open descr_strat.txt file with notepad, and change this line:

campaign imperial campaign
playable

into

campaign barbarian_invasion
options bi (*)
playable

options bi (*) is optional only if you want to add other BI options like horording and night battles etc.

3 - Save and exit the file.

Part 2

1 - Open the text folder. This folder is located in the EB/data folder. Look for these files.

2 - Rename imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file into barbarian_invasion_regions_and_settlement_names.txt then save and exit.

3 - This is optional but recomendable. Open the campaign_descriptions.txt file with notepad.

4 - Click edit, replace, and in the box type :

Find what : IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_
Replace with : BARBARIAN_INVASION_

5 - Click replace all, save and exit.

Part 3

1 - On the desktop, right-click on the EB short cut and click properties.

2 - Rename the RomeTW.exe with RomeTW-BI.exe , for example (on my pc):

"D:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-BI.exe" -mod:eb -nm -show_err

3 - Click apply then ok. Now you can run EB with BI.exe

Darth Stalin
09-16-2007, 15:33
I did it in the way you wrote, Lestat, but...
Well, I installed EB latest version, then installed the First Cohort Mod, then the new Darth Battle formations by mlp071, Forced Diplomacy mod and also the micro-mod bty mlp071 and Redmeth IIRC, that changes the mercenaries and AI behavior.
Then I followed the above instructions and received the following:

In the main Menu there was added "Provincial Campaign" line, and when I clicked the "Main Campaign" there was nothing! There was only message "Please slect item from the list" and that's all. But when I clicked the Provincial campaign I got the small window with "EB Main Campaign" that later prompted me to selection menu of EB campaign.

That was realy veery strange - what did I wrong? (or I didn't and it should be just like that)? I played also Reign Of Ares by Thorlof, which is also based upon the BI, but there was nothing like that.

Oh, well, maybe I forgot to delete map.rwm from somewhere? Justr have to check it out.

Callicles
09-16-2007, 19:22
I had that problem originally too. To fix it, I opened up barbarian_invasion/decr_strat.txt and deleted the line near the top about BI options... for some reason, that made the problem go away.

mcantu
09-16-2007, 23:50
Darth Stalin--

Just use Ferromancers EB for BI installation mod. Its very simple

Darth Stalin
09-17-2007, 00:17
So, if using Ferromancer's mod, I'll should do the following:

1. Install EB
2. Install Ferro's BI mod
3. Install in the appropriate places the submods/minimods => First Cohort etc.?

Teleklos Archelaou
10-29-2007, 00:15
Anything that needs to be added to post 85 above to make EB 1.0 work with BI? I'm getting a ctd when I try to start a campaign up.

LordCurlyton
10-29-2007, 01:28
It worked fine with me. In fact, I just started the Pahlava campaign with BI, to see the intro video (it needs to let the text stay a tad longer but otherwise very good stuff). The only weird thing I'm experiencing is that perfect spy seems to be not working though I've deleted map.rwm again just in case (I switched it on in the middle of playing so that is likely the reason).

Rilder
11-26-2007, 12:21
BI.exe doesn't seem to be working with mine either, unlike the guide for changing a buncha folders I Just changed the exe for BI (like i did for 1.0) and it will start up but it doesn't have the selection to allow me to start the campaign (provincial campaign selection)

MerlinusCDXX
04-08-2008, 16:07
Does anyone know how to point to the BI-exe with the new Trivial script? I can already change out/rename the folders, I just am having a hard time finding the "shortcut pointer" for the new trivial script...I just want to run with BI .exe (so I don't have to keep changing my disc).

beatoangelico
04-08-2008, 18:34
Does anyone know how to point to the BI-exe with the new Trivial script? I can already change out/rename the folders, I just am having a hard time finding the "shortcut pointer" for the new trivial script...I just want to run with BI .exe (so I don't have to keep changing my disc).

make a shortcut of the bi exe, then the "destination" line must be as following

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW-BI.exe" -show_err -mod:eb

brymht
04-09-2008, 05:46
thanks, i got it to work.

Oddly, still not seeing any intro movies....

EasyCo506
04-10-2008, 12:07
I finally got BI to work, and started a custom battle.

How do I put in the things like shield wall? Could I use that other installer to get the abilities faster?

STuNTz2023
04-10-2008, 12:35
If the installer made works for you, yes it should enable those abilities, if your like me and it causes errors for you, you can a. play without them or b. https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=101745 and try what Vincent_Valentine has to say.

moriluk
08-17-2009, 06:01
I followed the directions in post 85 but I installed the fixes for 1.2 after that. Is this why I can't start a campaign? When I choose a campaign it takes me back to the single player options menu.

Or does it have anything to do with the trivial script not being in the same folder as RTW.exe & BI.exe?

-Praetor-
06-09-2011, 14:04
Updated first post with Oleo´s instructions (to make the thread less confusing for people that simply want to play vainilla EB with BI without other mods).

Cheers.

jirisys
08-12-2011, 23:51
I love this.

(From Ferromancer's site)

Dear Mr. Kindsir,

We wish to welcome you to Freeformatics.

Order Confirmation from Freeformatics

Whatsmyname Kindsir

Thanks for shopping with us today!
The following are the details of your order.

:laugh4:

~Jirisys ()

Ludens
08-13-2011, 09:16
Where did you find that? The download website seems normal to me.

jirisys
08-13-2011, 16:30
Where did you find that? The download website seems normal to me.

You have to register, and I put that as my names :grin:

~Jirisys ()