PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial - Adding a unit to the game

Pages : [1] 2

Musashi
12-21-2006, 12:40
Ok. This is a LONG and involved process, and it will probably be made significantly easier when CA releases a few more tools. However, this is the process required to get a new unit into the game at the current time.

I'm going to be using a unit I created as an example throughout this process. My Byzantine Dragoons are sort of a cross between Reiters and Camel Gunners. They're nasty and very powerful, but keep in mind they're for an alternate history fantasy type mod I'm working on. This is a picture of the finished product:
http://xs210.xs.to/xs210/06515/Dragoons.png

I'm also going to be assuming you've already run the unpacker.

Step One: The Unit File

Go into your data folder and open export_descr_unit.txt. We'll be adding a new unit block to this file. I like to keep the file somewhat organized, so I generally group my additions by type and faction and so on, but it doesn't really matter much where you place them.

We're going to be creating a unit similar to Reiters, so the simplest thing is to start with the entry for Reiters:

type Reiters
dictionary Reiters ; Reiters
category cavalry
class missile
voice_type Heavy
banner faction main_cavalry
banner holy crusade_cavalry
soldier Reiters, 32, 0, 1
mount heavy horse
mount_effect elephant -4, camel -4
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, can_formed_charge, cantabrian_circle, gunpowder_unit, start_not_skirmishing, guncavalry
formation 2, 4.4, 3, 6, 4, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 20, 3, pistol_bullet, 45, 20, missile, missile_gunpowder, piercing, none, musket_shot_set, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap
stat_sec 11, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 7, 6, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 7, 8, 0, 0, 6, 0, 0, metal
stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
stat_heat 5
stat_ground 0, -2, -4, 0
stat_mental 9, normal, trained
stat_charge_dist 45
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 920, 250, 120, 95, 920, 4, 230
armour_ug_levels 3, 4
armour_ug_models Reiters, Reiters_ug1
ownership hre
era 2 hre
;unit_info 11, 20, 13

So what we will do is copy and paste that block into the file in another spot, and then make some small changes to it to get it exactly the way we want it.

The first thing to do is change the type variable. This is the label the game uses for the unit internally. The main thing we need to concern ourselves with for our current purposes is that the game will try to find a unit icon based on this name.

I've decided to call my troops Byzantine Dragoons, and the game tends to use ES_ or GR_ to designate a Byzantine unit (Although in this case I could simply call them Byzantine Dragoons, that would work just as well), so I've chosen to set the type to GR_Dragoons like so:

type GR_Dragoons

Next we have to set the Dictionary entry. The game looks for an entry in the export_units.txt.bin file in order to find the display name and description of the unit. There can't be any spaces in this entry. If I'd called my new unit "Byzantine Dragoons" I'd have had to use a dictionary entry of "Byzantine_Dragoons", or some other one word string.

The next few lines we leave alone... It's still cavalry, still a missile troop, no need to change the voice or banners... But we do need to change the Soldier entry.

Experience modding the model db file allows me to say with certainty that the soldier type sets the skeleton and animation sets, while the model and textures are taken from the armour_ug_models line. Technically we could leave the soldier line alone, since we're going to be using the Reiters' animation set. But just for the sake of continuity I'm setting it to GR_Dragoons like so:

soldier GR_Dragoons, 32, 0, 1

I also changed the "mount" entry, because I wanted to have them riding the Kataphractoi's horses, but it didn't take. I'll be looking into this later.

The next thing I changed was the "stat_pri" line. This sets the stats of the primary weapon, in this case, a musket. I didn't want this unit to be an exact clone of the Reiters, rather I wanted it to be a long range skirmisher like the Camel Gunners, so I copied the line from the Camel Gunners' entry.

I wanted their secondary weapon and armor to match Reiters, so I didn't change any of that. Basically I went all the way down to the armour_ug_models line before making any more changes. This is critical because if we don't change this line, the game is going to look in the model db file for Reiters models, and not find any texture entries for byzantium, and we'll end up with invisible troops even though we did all the hard Model DB work.

In the end, the entry for my new unit looks like this:

type GR_Dragoons
dictionary GR_Dragoons ; Byzantine Dragoons
category cavalry
class missile
voice_type Heavy
soldier GR_Dragoons, 32, 0, 1
mount eastern armoured horse
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, can_formed_charge, cantabrian_circle, gunpowder_unit, start_not_skirmishing, guncavalry
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 16, 3, musket_bullet, 180, 20, missile, missile_gunpowder, piercing, none, musket_shot_set, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap
stat_sec 11, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 7, 6, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 7, 8, 0, 0, 6, 0, 0, metal
stat_heat 5
stat_ground 0, -2, -4, 0
stat_charge_dist 45
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 920, 250, 120, 95, 920, 4, 230
armour_ug_levels 3, 4
armour_ug_models GR_Dragoons, GR_Dragoons_ug1
ownership byzantium
era 2 byzantium
;unit_info 11, 20, 13

Step Two: The EEEEVIL Model DB File

Now it's time to move on to the next, and hardest step. Coding an entry in the data/unit_models/battle_models.modeldb file, which was obviously never meant to be alterable by hand.

Be aware that this file ONLY works in the base data/unit_models folder and will NOT work from a mod folder. This obviously has unfortunate implications for our ability to allow mod users to maintain multiple mod installations simultaneously, but there's basically nothing we can do about it until CA gives us some manner of fix or workaround.

You will need to add --io.file_first to your batch file to get it working.

What you do is you open the file in notepad. It will look like chaos to the untrained eye (And even to the trained eye it's a royal... erm... well you get the idea).

Since our unit will actually be using the Reiter model with different textures, prudence dictates that we start by copying the entry for Reiters:

7 reiters 1 4 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod0.mesh 121 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod1.mesh 900 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod2.mesh 2500 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod3.mesh 6400 1 3 hre 73 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_hre.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 35 unit_sprites/hre_Reiters_sprite.spr 1 3 hre 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_norm.texture 0 1 5 Horse 14 MTW2_HR_Pistol 13 MTW2_HR_Spear 1 22 MTW2_HR_Pistol_Primary 1 21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 11 reiters_ug1 1 4 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod0.mesh 121 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod1.mesh 900 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod2.mesh 2500 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod3.mesh 6400 1 3 hre 73 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_hre.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 39 unit_sprites/hre_Reiters_ug1_sprite.spr 1 3 hre 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_norm.texture 0 1 5 Horse 14 MTW2_HR_Pistol 13 MTW2_HR_Spear 1 22 MTW2_HR_Pistol_Primary 1 21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Ugly, isn't it?

So what can we make of all this? Let's take it one step at a time.

The first thing to remember is that almost every entry in the file is in the format of "n xxxxx" where n is the number of characters in the string that follows it, and xxxxx is the string.

Our first entry is "7 reiters". That's 7, the number of characters in the word reiters, and then the word itself. Personally I assume they are using some sort of serialization library that reads all these values into dynamically allocated memory, using the string length numbers to know how many characters to read in, and then looking for another string length directive. But that's really only interesting to nerds like me ;)

The next entry is "1 4". 4 is naturally a one character string. What this represents is the number of LOD entries the game should be trying to load. This is only really important to know if you're changing the actual meshes for a unit (But it did bite me in the butt once, which is naturally how I figured out what the number does hehe).

The next three entries:

53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod0.mesh 121 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod1.mesh 900 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod2.mesh 2500 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod3.mesh 6400

These are meshes to use at various distances from the unit. Note the mesh string, and then the distance. It's fairly straightforward.

Next up is the start of an actual texture block.

1 3 hre 73 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_hre.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 35 unit_sprites/hre_Reiters_sprite.spr

The 1 is the number of texture blocks it should try to read in. The easiest way to think of this is just as the number of factions who can use the unit. In the case of Reiters, only the HRE can use this soldier type, so the number is one, and there is only one texture block.

3 is the number of letters in the name of the faction the following texture block is for. In this case, the HRE. hre is of course the faction name. This is followed by the length of the next string, which will be the path of the texture which should be used for this unit when it is being employed by the given faction. The next path is to what I think is some kind of alpha map or transparency guide. Don't worry, there's one in every texture directory, so just link to the one that corresponds to the model and texture you're attempting to use.

The last path is to the sprite file, which is used to render the unit when it's farther away than the distance set for the lowest LOD.

The next block of code is this:

1 3 hre 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_norm.texture 0 1 5 Horse 14 MTW2_HR_Pistol 13 MTW2_HR_Spear 1 22 MTW2_HR_Pistol_Primary 1 21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
This is a set of attachments your unit uses. I'm not really 100% sure what any of this stuff does, except that you need to start this block with the number of such blocks it's reading in (Again, the number of factions that use the unit), and the faction name in the usual length-string format.

And as you can see the whole thing is repeated for the armor upgrade model(s).

Now lets see what this looks like after we edit it for our new unit (My personal suggestion is to copy the whole block, paste it into a separate notepad window, edit it there, and then paste it back into the file. Be SURE that when you paste it back in, you put the block at the end of another block, and have a single space at both ends).

11 GR_Dragoons 1 4 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod0.mesh 121 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod1.mesh 900 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod2.mesh 2500 53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod3.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 79 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_byzantium.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 41 unit_sprites/byzantium_Reiters_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_norm.texture 0 1 5 Horse 14 MTW2_HR_Pistol 13 MTW2_HR_Spear 1 22 MTW2_HR_Pistol_Primary 1 21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 11 reiters_ug1 1 4 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod0.mesh 121 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod1.mesh 900 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod2.mesh 2500 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod3.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 79 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_byzantium.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 45 unit_sprites/byzantium_Reiters_ug1_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_norm.texture 0 1 5 Horse 14 MTW2_HR_Pistol 13 MTW2_HR_Spear 1 22 MTW2_HR_Pistol_Primary 1 21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

As you can see, a few changes have been made. I kept the meshes, because I want to use the Reiter models. I've changed the faction name, and the texture as well. Note that there is no unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_byzantium.texture , so we'll have to create one. If you read through the section above you should be able to see what's been changed and why.

Step Three: Texture Alteration

So, now we have to create our texture! No wait... it's not quite as hard as it sounds.

First you go to unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures. In here you'll see textures for this model type for a bunch of different factions. What you need to do is open one, say rn_half_3q_plate_england.texture, with a hex editor, and cut (Cut to the clipboard, you're going to need to paste it back in later) the first 48 bytes. Now rename the file from .texture to .dds, and load it up in your favorite image processing software. I'm going to be talking about how to work with it in Photoshop CS2, because that's what I own.

What you do now is turn all those areas of British red into Byzantine purple. The way we do that is to go to image->adjustments->replace color, and use the cursor to select a bright red spot. Now use the HSB sliders on the bottom to adjust that bright red to a bright purple. Now adjust the threshold slider at the top until the image looks the way you want it. Presto!

If you're anal you can work your faction emblem into it the purple fields now, but it will look good as is. Just save the file, change the file extension back to .texture, and paste those 48 bytes back into the beginning of the file.

You can now start the game and use your new unit in custom games! Aren't you proud of yourself?

You might notice there are some things missing though. Like their icon looks like a peasant, and when you mouse over the unit it says "unlocalized placement text". We should probably fix that huh?

Of course we should!

Step Four: Giving Your Unit An Icon

So go to data/ui/units/hre and copy #reiters.tga over to the data/ui/units/byzantium folder, and rename it #gr_dragoons.tga. Optionally you can go in and color parts of the icon purple. It's up to you.

Your unit now has it's very own shiny icon!

All that's left is the text.

Step Five: Editing the Unit Text File

So, what you're going to do is get Alpaca's txt.bin converter from the thread here in this forum, place it in your data/text folder, and run it!

Now you can edit export_units.txt. Just copy the entry for some other unit, Reiters for instance, and change the labels.

In other words copy and paste this:

{Reiters} Reiters
{Reiters_descr} Reiters derive their name from the German word reiter, meaning horseman. Generally from German states, Reiters are armed with a pistol and spear, and well protected by plate armour. They often employ the shooting circle tactic to create a continuous cycle of firing and reloading. Once the enemy are softened up by this treatment, they charge in and finish them off the old fashioned way.
{Reiters_descr_short} Effective gunpowder units, Reiters are armed with a pistol and spear, and protected by plate armour.

And change it to this:

{GR_Dragoons} Reiters
{GR_Dragoons_descr} Reiters derive their name from the German word reiter, meaning horseman. Generally from German states, Reiters are armed with a pistol and spear, and well protected by plate armour. They often employ the shooting circle tactic to create a continuous cycle of firing and reloading. Once the enemy are softened up by this treatment, they charge in and finish them off the old fashioned way.
{GR_Dragoons_descr_short} Effective gunpowder units, Reiters are armed with a pistol and spear, and protected by plate armour.

And you're all finished.

You might want to change the actual text to something more appropriate of course. But my fingers are getting tired from typing all this.

Thank you for flying Musashi mod lines, we hope you have a pleasant modding experience.

pevergreen
12-21-2006, 13:03
Clap clap clap etc. Great work there! Will help many a budding modder.

Musashi
12-21-2006, 13:10
Thanks... it only took me... 2 and a half hours or so to type it all up and edit it... O.o

Cataphract_Of_The_City
12-21-2006, 14:47
Excellent work Musashi!

Might I suggest an alternate name, albeit not historical or correct name? Byzantine Dragonarioi. What do you think?

Varyar
12-21-2006, 20:15
A question: which of these steps do you need to undertake to simply make an already existent unit available to a new faction? In my case I want to give the Naffatun to the Moors. I don't even care about the texture as long as the guys are there and visible.

the_mango55
12-21-2006, 23:45
Yeah, I can't get this to work >.<

Good info though.

I'm pretty sure its the Model file that's getting me screwed up, because I have created new units for factions by putting mounted unit from one faction on another mount from the same faction, changing the stats, text files, and unit info.

https://img305.imageshack.us/img305/778/newunitsrk3.jpg

Do you have to do this in the base game, in a mod folder, or can you do it in either (I have tried both and neither worked)

BTW, can you post a screenshot of your unit?

Whacker
12-22-2006, 00:06
Outstanding work Musashi, we need more stuff like this. I think I might throw these guys in my next campaign as the Byzantines just for giggles.

PS: @the_mango55, greetings fellow RDU resident.

Musashi
12-22-2006, 01:33
Yeah, I can't get this to work >.<

Good info though.

I'm pretty sure its the Model file that's getting me screwed up, because I have created new units for factions by putting mounted unit from one faction on another mount from the same faction, changing the stats, text files, and unit info.

Do you have to do this in the base game, in a mod folder, or can you do it in either (I have tried both and neither worked)

BTW, can you post a screenshot of your unit?
Mango, I forgot to mention it. The battle_models.modeldb file will only be parsed in the BASE data/unit_models folder. To get the game to parse it you have to add --io.file_first to your command line or batch file.

Naturally this has... disturbing... implications for our users' ability to install multiple mods at once :(

I should point out though, that if you're just using an existing model and a different mount, there's an easier way to do it. Basically it can be done with just the EDU file. Just set the mount, soldier, and upgrade lines in your unit's entry in the EDU file to what you want them to be... No need to create a whole new model entry in the DB file unless you're trying to use a model that doesn't have textures for your faction :)

Musashi
12-22-2006, 01:41
A question: which of these steps do you need to undertake to simply make an already existent unit available to a new faction? In my case I want to give the Naffatun to the Moors. I don't even care about the texture as long as the guys are there and visible.
Well, since Naffatun don't have an entry in the model DB file for the moors, you'll have to either change the lines for the Turks to be for the Moors by changing the faction name (You're in luck, in that they're the same number of letters, so you can literally just change where you see "Turks" to "Moors"), or add texture lines for the Moors. The problem with changing the Turks lines, is that the Naffatun will become invisible when the Turks field them.

the_mango55
12-22-2006, 03:20
Mango, I forgot to mention it. The battle_models.modeldb file will only be parsed in the BASE data/unit_models folder. To get the game to parse it you have to add --io.file_first to your command line or batch file.

Naturally this has... disturbing... implications for our users' ability to install multiple mods at once :(

I should point out though, that if you're just using an existing model and a different mount, there's an easier way to do it. Basically it can be done with just the EDU file. Just set the mount, soldier, and upgrade lines in your unit's entry in the EDU file to what you want them to be... No need to create a whole new model entry in the DB file unless you're trying to use a model that doesn't have textures for your faction :)

Ah I see, thanks.

And I am aware about the horses, I made those units a few days ago, when I had no idea how to make heads or tails of the modeldb file.

Well, I actually still don't really knnow how to make heads or tails of the modeldb file. :laugh4:

@ Whacker: Greetings, but actually I'm no longer a triangle resident. I just graduated NCSU yesterday.

Musashi
12-22-2006, 03:53
Yeah, I tried to explain the format, but really you just have to hack away at it awhile before you get to where you can "read" the file. And even then it's SO easy to miss something somewhere...

PS: I put a picture of my Dragoons up in the tutorial. They're just so darn pretty :D

Also I like the idea of calling them Dragonarioi, but I hate to go in and change something again at this point hehe. I might though :)

Actually I should probably figure out what the name would really be in Greek... Presuming they referred to the carbine rifles as dragons, which should be drakon in greek I believe... Would it come out to Drakonarioi for wielders of them? Someone around here must know :)

hgtm
12-22-2006, 09:33
WHAT???In my data folder there isn't any export_descr_unit.txt.!!!

scsscsfanfan
12-22-2006, 11:37
good information, i'm not very good on modding, could you explain a bit more in details how to add the "--io.file_first " please?

also, currently I still keep the original data folder unchanged, ie, still packed, and use a mod folder to play the game. to allow this to work, dose it mean I have to unpack the data folder?

many thanks

methoz
12-22-2006, 13:57
ok, but..how to use "unique" units....bohemian hussites, bohemian wagon fort, etc..all is in data folder,bud nothing dont used in game :(

doxofra
12-22-2006, 22:42
hello i have some questions.
i edited that battle_models.txt file to add some units
but it dint work. just i start play.bat file and got CTD

what i edited is here

10 longbowmen 1 4 57 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/longbowmen_lod0.mesh
121 57 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/longbowmen_lod1.mesh
900 57 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/longbowmen_lod2.mesh
2500 57 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/longbowmen_lod3.mesh 6

400 3 7 england 79 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_england.texture
78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture
48 unit_sprites/england_Dummy_EN_Archers_sprite.spr

5 slave 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture
78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture
46 unit_sprites/slave_Dummy_EN_Archers_sprite.spr

6 france unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture

3 7 england 69 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_england_diff.texture
69 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_england_norm.texture

0 5 slave 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_slave_diff.texture
67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_slave_norm.texture

0 6 france 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_slave_diff.texture

0 1 4 None 16 MTW2_Fast_Bowman 14 MTW2_Fast_Mace

i hit enter key to look easy.
i added longbowmen to france to use rebel's one. i cant find wrong constructions. what is my mistakes? sorry for pool english

doxofra
12-22-2006, 22:50
ah. sorry i've mistake. but i cant edit my reply. hmm?

this construction

6 france unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture

to

6 78 france unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture

got CTD too.:skull:

Musashi
12-22-2006, 23:41
6 france 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture

doxofra
12-23-2006, 00:46
yes. i noticed it but coulnt edit my reply.
since i post i editing battle_model.txt but still it dint work

here it is

10 longbowmen 1 4 57 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/longbowmen_lod0.mesh
121 57 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/longbowmen_lod1.mesh
900 57 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/longbowmen_lod2.mesh
2500 57 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/longbowmen_lod3.mesh

6400 3 7 england 79 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_england.texture
48 unit_sprites/england_Dummy_EN_Archers_sprite.spr

5 slave 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture

6 france 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture

3 7 england 69 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_england_diff.texture
69 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_england_norm.texture

0 5 slave 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_slave_diff.texture

0 6 france 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_slave_diff.texture

0 1 4 None 16 MTW2_Fast_Bowman 14 MTW2_Fast_Mace 2 19
MTW2_Bowman_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 2 17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

what's wrong?

Musashi
12-23-2006, 03:28
Looking at it I don't know. You do have a double space between the 0 and the 1 in the line "0 1 4 None 16 MTW2_Fast_Bowman 14 MTW2_Fast_Mace 2 19" right?

Musashi
12-23-2006, 04:27
More bad news. Texture files have to be in base/data/unit_models/_units/<model type>/textures/ and NOT in a mod folder. Things are looking grim on the modding front I'm afraid.

the_mango55
12-23-2006, 05:22
More bad news. Texture files have to be in base/data/unit_models/_units/<model type>/textures/ and NOT in a mod folder. Things are looking grim on the modding front I'm afraid.

why so?

Mods can still use stuff put into the main data folder, you just have to add the file_first = true to the mod .cfg file as well.

As long as the battle_models file doesn't have limits on the number of soldiers, then there will be no problems.

Musashi
12-23-2006, 07:00
No, there's lots of problems. They just only crop up when someone wants to install two mods that both use custom models.

the_mango55
12-23-2006, 07:28
No, there's lots of problems. They just only crop up when someone wants to install two mods that both use custom models.

Possibly, however what I was getting at is that it could be manually worked around by pasting all the model info from one mod into the battle_models file, then pasting all the model info from another mod directly after it.

Since they all reference the same file, and as far as I know it doesn't hurt to have models in there that aren't in use, what would problems be?

It's a tad burdensome, but compared to MTW and RTW (separate installs for every mod) I will take it any day.

Musashi
12-23-2006, 07:48
Sure, it'd work, but how many users would you trust to do that and not be emailing you asking why their game won't load anymore?

I was thinking of having the batch file that runs the mod (Which would be included in the zipped distro) back up the original model db file (If it exists) and copy the mod's file from a special directory in the mod folder, and then restore the original before exiting. Simple enough solution if every modder sticks to it...

But it would entail fairly long batch files if we have to copy every texture over...

Shahed
12-23-2006, 17:55
Good job Musashi ! THANKS a lot for typing this up for up !

scsscsfanfan
12-23-2006, 21:55
hi, I still has problem to get the un packed files to work, here is what I've done:

I unpacked the data folder, deleted the 2 geographic files, then following various suggestions, I tried a few different ways:

1. add in .cfg file,

[features]
--io.file_first

or 2. add in .cfg file

[io]
file_first = True

or 3. Creating bat file and open it:

medieval2.exe --io.file_first

however, non of them work at all.
the game dosen't even load - gives a blank screen.
Could someone help please?

thanks

Varyar
12-24-2006, 01:07
Well, since Naffatun don't have an entry in the model DB file for the moors, you'll have to either change the lines for the Turks to be for the Moors by changing the faction name (You're in luck, in that they're the same number of letters, so you can literally just change where you see "Turks" to "Moors"), or add texture lines for the Moors. The problem with changing the Turks lines, is that the Naffatun will become invisible when the Turks field them.

Thanks for the info, I think I got the hang of it now. Once you get through the code jungle the system is surprisingly straight-forward and intuitive.

That being said, being a noob and all, a 'Musashi's Guide to Unit Modding - for Dummies' could've been useful :yes:

Musashi
12-24-2006, 02:10
Unfortunately I'm incapable of effective communication with dummies.

ShadowStriker
12-24-2006, 19:45
Since its such a long process maybe someone can make a program that creates/edits units sort of like how the trait editor crates/edits traits.

Nice tutorial tho!

Sir Robin the Brave
12-24-2006, 21:07
I'm getting a blank screen on loadup now, would this mean I've done something wrong in the model.db file?

Musashi
12-24-2006, 22:28
Yes it would. The blank screen + error noise generally means your modeldb file is borked. Although, if it gets to the medieval splash screen and then craps out, it means it's one of your data files like export_descr_unit.txt. Check the last two lines of your system.log.txt in your main medieval directory. If it says "unspecified error" then it's most likely in the modeldb file... If it's in one of the data files it will give you helpful information about which file and what line in the file.

scsscsfanfan
12-25-2006, 22:59
I'm getting a blank screen on loadup now, would this mean I've done something wrong in the model.db file?

I had the exactly the same problem earlier. I started unit mod after found this thread, but I have already messed around with the data. I tried all things, and at the end, I decided to re install the game and patch again, my model.db or EDU files had nothing wrong, just needed a fresh install, it worked fine.
may be similar problem in your case, if you find all your files are correct and still getting a blank screen and nothing else, might want give clean install a try.

In term of multi mod running at the same time,the mod switch works by adding:

[features]
mod = franch

[io]
file_first = True

at the end of your mod .cfg file, , put all modified files, unit cards, etc in the coresponding sub folder in your mod\data folder, then the run the mod with .bat file, all the modded files will be read from the mod folder.
the only problem is that model.db still has to be run in the base data folder.

My solution to run multiple mods in the same mother M2TW folder would be copy the model.db file a few times and rename them to Origional_model.db, Franch_model.db, Byz_model.db etc, then when you want to play franch mod, just change that file to the active modle.db file.

the_mango55
12-27-2006, 22:43
I have tried at least 20 times to create my own unit with my own skin, or existing skins, but have been unsuccessful to various degrees (sometimes the game plays but the units are invisible, sometimes the game crashes on starting, sometimes the game goes to black screen and I have to restart it)

Finally, I copeied your sample unit EXACTLY, both the EDU and modelDB parts, and created a new byzantine skin. I don't even want this unit in my game, but I figured I would just try to get one unit working.

Still nothing, crashes to desktop and the log says "Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'GR_Dragoons'."

Musashi
12-28-2006, 00:07
If it gives you that error message then it's not reading your battle_models.modeldb file at all. What location is your model db file in, and what flags are you using to run the game?

scsscsfanfan
12-28-2006, 00:11
it sounds like the model.db is not correct.
Try to add the new model text part in the middle of the model.db file (usually after the one you copied), once I tried to add to the end of the text, it didn't work. there should be a single space before and after the added text. if this doesn't work then I suggest try another clean uninstall and re install with patch, unpack, then mod the files.
it took me a while to get use to it, but now I have around 5-6 modded units and works fine.
good luck.

Musashi
12-28-2006, 00:22
It's not a problem in the modeldb file. If it was, the game would crash and the only message would be "unspecified error". If it gets far enough to start parsing the files in the data directory, the modeldb file checked out. If it then crashes out saying it can't find the model for a given unit type, and there is an entry for that unit type in your modeldb file, then the game isn't trying to load your modeldb file, which means it's either in the wrong location (Like your mod folder) or you're not using --io.file_first

the_mango55
12-28-2006, 01:07
It's in the main data folder and it has:

[io]
file_first = true

In the preferences file. Plus I know it's working because it's loading my custom skins just fine.

See if you can tell me what I have got wrong here, trying to create basically a dismounted Gothic knight for scotland.

14 armored_nobles 1 4 73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod0.mesh 121 73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod1.mesh 900 73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod2.mesh 2500 73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod3.mesh 6400 1 8 scotland 82 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_scotland.texture 80 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_normal.texture 53 unit_sprites/hre_Dismounted_Gothic_Knights_sprite.spr 1 8 scotland 61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_scotland_diff.texture 61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_scotland_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 21 MTW2_Slow_2HSwordsman 0 1 24 MTW2_2HSwordsman_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

type Armored Nobles
dictionary Armored_Nobles ; Zwei Hander
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
banner faction main_infantry
banner holy crusade
soldier Armored_Nobles, 48, 0, 1.2
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw
formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 3, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 14, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, sword, 25, 1.3
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr no
stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 10, 4, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 7, 8, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0, metal
stat_heat 5
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 760, 150, 90, 70, 760, 4, 170
armour_ug_levels 4
armour_ug_models Armored_Nobles
ownership scotland
era 2 scotland
;unit_info 14, 0, 11

Musashi
12-28-2006, 06:01
And you've created unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_scotland_diff.texture and unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_scotland_norm.texture?

They have to be in the data folder, not the mod/data folder.

the_mango55
12-28-2006, 07:37
they already existed, and yes they were in the data folder.

All the skins for this unit already existed.

Musashi
12-29-2006, 01:49
What problem exactly do you get with this unit?

If it's a crash, what does the system log say?

BlackWing
12-29-2006, 04:03
This is a very tough and long process, I kinda gave up on it till a more simple alternative comes along. I simply choose the easy way out of adding units by mix-matching armour upgrades and mount available within the same faction.

type NE Royal Guards
dictionary NE_Late_Bodyguard ; NE Royal Guards
category cavalry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
soldier NE_Bodyguard, 32, 0, 1
mount armoured horse
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw, can_formed_charge, knight
formation 2, 4.4, 3, 6, 2, square, wedge
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 13, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr no
stat_sec 14, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 9, 5, 3, metal
;stat_armour_ex 9, 10, 0, 0, 5, 3, 3, metal
stat_heat 6
stat_ground 0, -2, -4, 0
stat_mental 15, disciplined, highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 45
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 1070, 250, 120, 95, 1070, 1, 210
armour_ug_levels 5, 6
armour_ug_models NE_Late_Bodyguard, NE_Late_Bodyguard_ug1
ownership england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, poland, hungary
era 2 england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, poland, hungary
;unit_info 13, 0, 34

type Dismounted NE Royal Guards
dictionary Dismounted_NE_Bodyguard ; Dismounted NE Royal Guards
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
soldier Dismounted_NE_Late_Bodyguard, 48, 0, 1.2
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, very_hardy, can_withdraw
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 16, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr no
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 9, 9, 3, metal
;stat_armour_ex 9, 0, 0, 0, 9, 3, 3, metal
stat_heat 6
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_mental 15, disciplined, highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 570, 55, 80, 60, 570, 4, 140
armour_ug_levels 5, 6
armour_ug_models Dismounted_NE_Late_Bodyguard, Dismounted_NE_Late_Bodyguard
ownership england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, poland, hungary
;unit_info 16, 0, 42

You can always replace the upgrade models with those from feudal knights but the lances will be those wooden ones used by them. And for some other faction like English, you can even give the armoured horse to your English Knights and increase the defensive stats a bit to make them look more special.

billiam_maillib
12-29-2006, 06:30
I'am doing a similar thing, i want to make it so that scots guards are acuireable for both france and scotland. i dont get what ur saying up there could u simplify it a little more for me? also i cant open battle_models.modeldb... help please. thanks :D

alpaca
12-29-2006, 23:29
By the by, a short notice on the modeldb file (just had my first look on it tbh):
I guess the pathnames in there are relative to the data directory, so if you use ../mymod/data/models_unit instead of models_unit in each path they probably work in a mod folder.

Edit: Just tested that, you can put the textures into mod folders. However the modeldb file will still be read from the base dir if you use file_first and is not recognised at all if you don't.

billiam_maillib
12-30-2006, 04:07
i have figured out how to edit it... derr, anyways i want to edit the scots_gaurd
Brigandine_milan.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/textures/LN_ Brigandine_normal.texture 53 unit_sprites/milan_Genoese_Crossbowmen_ug1_sprite.spr 1 5 milan 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_milan_diff.texture 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_milan_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 20 MTW2_Pavise_Crossbow 14 MTW2_Swordsman 2 21 MTW2_Crossbow_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 1 6 france 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 1 6 france 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 14 archer_militia 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/archer_militia_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/archer_militia_lod1.mesh 900 61 what of that do i want too copy? i thought i could just copy and past the scot gaurd info and just replace all the france with scotland.

tsubame
12-30-2006, 04:16
Still only gosts...:furious3:

Damn, damn, damn. Seems that my only problem is too create (or modify) a proper .bat file with the string --io.file_first.
Please can say me which .bat file I've to add this line to OR how have
I to create a new one ?

Have I to create, say, a file named "Age_of_War" with inside "medieval2.exe --io.file_first" ? Or one named "Medieval2" with "medieval2.exe --io.file_first"
BTW I'm using Medmanager. Should the right .bat file and Medmanager work together correctly ? I suspect this manager can play a role in my defets...

billiam_maillib
12-30-2006, 06:26
i have figured out how to edit it... derr, anyways i want to edit the scots_gaurd what of that do i want too copy? i thought i could just copy and past the scot gaurd info and just replace all the france with scotland.
NM, lol, figured it out, i might have more questions l8er tho :P

billiam_maillib
12-30-2006, 07:55
ok this is what i have edited,

type Scots Guard
dictionary Scots_Guard ; Scots Guard
category infantry
class missile
voice_type Heavy
banner faction main_missile
banner holy crusade
soldier Scots_Guard, 48, 0, 1.2
stat_health 2, 0
stat_pri 9, 3, arrow, 160, 30, missile, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap
stat_sec 12, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 8, 9, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 8, 0, 0, 0, 9, 0, 0, metal
stat_heat 6
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_mental 11, normal, highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 800, 175, 100, 75, 800, 4, 200
armour_ug_levels 4
armour_ug_models Scots_Guard
ownership france
era 2 france
;unit_info 12, 9, 17 to

type Scots Guard
category infantry
class missile
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
stat_health 2, 0
stat_pri 9, 3, arrow, 160, 30, missile, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_heat 6
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
armour_ug_levels 4
ownership france, scotland
era 2 france, scotland
;unit_info 12, 9, 17

then i copyed the ui\units\france\#scots_guard.tga to the scotland section and i copyed the unit info\france files to the scotland folder, and i edited the
battle_models

11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 1 6 france 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 1 6 france 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 to

11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 1 6 france, scotland 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 1 6 france, scotland 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 when i load the game and go to custom battles( i select era of units all) it dosnt show up what em i missing?

the_mango55
12-30-2006, 08:27
OK, I think I have the modeldb file worked out, at least somewhat. I succeeded in making a new unit with it anyway. 2 tips for working with it that I think were holding me back:

1. Don't use word wrap. It puts extra spaces and crap in there. When I didn't do this the game would crash upon loading.

2. Don't put the new entry at the end, but in the middle somewhere. When it was at the end the units didn't seem to show up, they were invisible.

Thanks to Musashi for his help! :2thumbsup:

Here are some results!

https://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9108/firstpreviewvh5.jpg

billiam_maillib
12-30-2006, 10:43
ok this is what i have edited,

type Scots Guard
category infantry
class missile
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
stat_health 2, 0
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_heat 6
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
armour_ug_levels 4
ownership france
era 2 france
;unit_info 12, 9, 17 to

type Scots Guard
category infantry
class missile
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
stat_health 2, 0
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_heat 6
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
armour_ug_levels 4
ownership france, scotland
era 2 france, scotland
;unit_info 12, 9, 17

then i copyed the ui\units\france\#scots_guard.tga to the scotland section and i copyed the unit info\france files to the scotland folder, and i edited the
battle_models

11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 1 6 france 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 1 6 france 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 to

11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 1 6 france, scotland 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 1 6 france, scotland 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 when i load the game and go to custom battles( i select era of units all) it dosnt show up what em i missing?
Ok i have changed it around now its now looks like this

11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 1 6 scotland 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 1 6 scotland 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 1 6 france 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 1 6 france 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 i have also tried it with out adding
11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 1 6 scotland 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 1 6 scotland 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 with the top way i cant even load the game with the second way i can choose the units but when i go to fight it CTD and comes up with Error: unspecific error medieval 2 will now exit. what am i missing?

Musashi
12-30-2006, 12:26
OK, I think I have the modeldb file worked out, at least somewhat. I succeeded in making a new unit with it anyway. 2 tips for working with it that I think were holding me back:

1. Don't use word wrap. It puts extra spaces and crap in there. When I didn't do this the game would crash upon loading.

2. Don't put the new entry at the end, but in the middle somewhere. When it was at the end the units didn't seem to show up, they were invisible.

Thanks to Musashi for his help! :2thumbsup:
No worries. Glad it worked out for you :)

billiam_maillib
12-30-2006, 23:07
Ok i got my model to show up but u cant see the textures, why?
https://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7756/0001vc1.jpg
https://img125.imageshack.us/img125/9348/0002sy5.jpg
https://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4664/0003ro8.jpg
https://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3453/0004hm2.jpg
could some one actually respond to me this time cuz i dont know whats wrong.

the_mango55
12-31-2006, 01:08
Do you have the right textures in the texture folder?

billiam_maillib
12-31-2006, 07:57
ya, i just copyed the scots texture from frances folder scolands folder

billiam_maillib
12-31-2006, 08:03
wait scratch that, what textures i want to use the same textures for france and scotland, when i start a battle france has textures but scotland dosnt >.<

billiam_maillib
12-31-2006, 08:59
here is all i have done http://www.box.net/public/ybrb2v4p9i if some one wouldnt mind taking a look anf figuring out whats wrong and telling me how to fix it i would be in there det.

the_mango55
12-31-2006, 21:25
Your problem seems to be here

1 6 scotland

the 1 represents how many factions use this model, so it should be 2 since france also uses it.

the 6 represents the number of letters in the name of the faction, scotland has 8 letters.

Try this:

11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 1 6 france 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 8 scotland 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 2 6 france 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 8 scotland 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Also, you can't have 2 models named the same thing, which is why it wouldn't load with your top one.

scsscsfanfan
12-31-2006, 23:13
Musashi, is there any way to change weapon type of the unit, eg, give dismounted gothic knight an Axe or something?

thanks

Musashi
01-01-2007, 00:08
Unfortunately not that anyone has discovered yet. The weapons appear to be encoded into the unit mesh (model) and we have no way of opening, editing, or saving those models yet.

Some of us have tried to break into them with a hex editor, but no luck whatsoever so far.

billiam_maillib
01-01-2007, 01:28
thanks mango, it didnt crash anymore but the texture still dosnt show for the scotish.

Sir Robin the Brave
01-01-2007, 01:28
:oops: perhaps someone here can help me:

8 clansmen 1 4 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod0.mesh 121 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod1.mesh 900 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod2.mesh 2500 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod3.mesh 6400 2 8 scotland 70 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_scot.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 52 unit_sprites/sicily_Sword_and_Buckler_Men_sprite.spr 1 8 scotland 59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_diff.texture 59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 14 MTW2_Swordsman 0 2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

This doesn't seem to work, if you could find out what and explain to me what is wrong, I would be most grateful :yes:

billiam_maillib
01-01-2007, 01:36
:oops: perhaps someone here can help me:

8 clansmen 1 4 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod0.mesh 121 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod1.mesh 900 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod2.mesh 2500 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod3.mesh 6400 2 8 scotland 70 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_scot.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 52 unit_sprites/sicily_Sword_and_Buckler_Men_sprite.spr 1 8 scotland 59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_diff.texture 59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 14 MTW2_Swordsman 0 2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

This doesn't seem to work, if you could find out what and explain to me what is wrong, I would be most grateful :yes: notice how the numbers infront of scotland differ? 2 8 scotland 70 and 1 8 scotland 59 that might be the problem, i'am not sure so you might have to fool around with that a bit, hope that helps

Sir Robin the Brave
01-01-2007, 01:48
ah, I didn't see that...

THANK YOU! :beam:

the_mango55
01-01-2007, 18:01
thanks mango, it didnt crash anymore but the texture still dosnt show for the scotish.

Ah dang it, I messed up my own advise >.<

try THIS:

11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 2 6 france 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 8 scotland 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 2 6 france 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 8 scotland 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

I had put 1 6 france in front of the textures, which tells the game that only 1 faction will be using this texture. I needed to have 2 6 france.

Hopefully it should work now

See the bad thing is you can mess up without even realizing it. Usually the game will crash, I can go in, and quickly fix it, but since I'm not using this I don't have any idea.

Sir Robin the Brave
01-01-2007, 18:51
mango! could you help me, if its not too much trouble, I have a texture problem, some sword and buckler men I edited into highland clansmen:

https://img369.imageshack.us/img369/2521/silvermenuc4.png

here is the code:

8 clansmen 1 4 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod0.mesh 121 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod1.mesh 900 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod2.mesh 2500 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod3.mesh 6400 1 8 scotland 70 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_scot.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 52 unit_sprites/sicily_Sword_and_Buckler_Men_sprite.spr 1 8 scotland 59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_diff.texture 59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 14 MTW2_Swordsman 0 2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

The game starts and runs, the textures are all in the right place...I don't know whats wrong

the_mango55
01-01-2007, 22:45
are you sure that you created the texture file RN_Light_Lmail_scot.texture?

It looks right to me, I inserted it into my own game, and all I did was change the
70 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_scot.texture to
74 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_scotland.texture (which I created for my own mod).

Here's the result.

https://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3631/clanskg0.jpg

billiam_maillib
01-02-2007, 03:36
it worked thanks mango, i cant believe i missed that myself >.<

billiam_maillib
01-02-2007, 03:47
here is my toil:
https://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9885/0013hh0.jpg
https://img236.imageshack.us/img236/9797/0012db5.jpg
thanks for the walkthrought musashi and thanks again mango!

the_mango55
01-02-2007, 04:34
I have been doing this nonstop since I figured it out. Here are a couple shots of my Byzantine Eagle Auxillia and Scottish Armored Nobles.

https://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4927/highrespreviewjr1.jpg

What do you think?

dopp
01-02-2007, 06:08
Still no word on how to swap weapons? That's the most crucial step for me.

Musashi
01-02-2007, 06:20
It probably can't be done until we have the ability to modify the models them selves.

Mango: I presume those Eagle Auxilia can only be recruited if the Byzzies own a former aztec province :)

the_mango55
01-02-2007, 07:46
^ Yeah

I toyed with the idea of allowing them to be built in Constantinople though :wink:

But seriously, in a mod I'm doing, I'm making it where everyone has America specific units, instead of just Spain and Portugal.

Sir Robin the Brave
01-02-2007, 10:19
cool mango! I'll try changing the texture name and see if it works :beam:

Musashi
01-02-2007, 11:24
^ Yeah

I toyed with the idea of allowing them to be built in Constantinople though :wink:

But seriously, in a mod I'm doing, I'm making it where everyone has America specific units, instead of just Spain and Portugal.
I would have made them buildable everywhere once you own the right area. I mean, you can train Vardariatoi anywhere, Latinkon anywhere, etc. even though they're all hired from other places...

Sir Robin the Brave
01-02-2007, 11:55
I can't figure it out, the texture just seems to be super-reflective. It's very strange

Sir Robin the Brave
01-02-2007, 14:43
got it, I hadn't changed the unit armour names in export_decr_units! so they were still sword and bucklar! heres the clan so far (WIP):
https://img353.imageshack.us/img353/2282/clanswd9.png

ezekiel6
01-02-2007, 18:46
Hi, another one here having problems. If anyone can help that would be great. I am trying to add Mercenary Woodsmen to the game. The new unit is selectable in the faction list but I just can't get the texture applied to the unit, I've tried directing it to different textures and nothing. I can only assume it has something to do with the naming convention as I have also placed unit icons and unit_info pics in the right folders and they won't show up either.
This is what I have written out for the unit.
18 mercenary_woodsmen 1 3 56 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/woodsmen_lod0.mesh 121 56 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/woodsmen_lod1.mesh 1225 56 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/woodsmen_lod2.mesh 6400 1 4 merc 75 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/textures/mtw2_EE_Peasant_merc.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/textures/mtw2_EE_Peasant_normal.texture 38 unit_sprites/slave_Woodsmen_sprite.spr 1 4 merc 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_merc_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_merc_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_2H_Axe 0 1 19 MTW2_2H_Axe_primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

ezekiel6
01-02-2007, 21:31
It's okay I think I fixed it, tried making a 3rd new unit and had success. I think the problem was that I forgot to add mercenary_unit in the EDU. So many of theses things can just be glossed over when you're not looking properly. Thanks anyway for the tutorial Musashi, it's a great help.

billiam_maillib
01-03-2007, 03:16
What do the Bold numbers stand for?

20 ne_huge_bombard_crew 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod1.mesh 900 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod2.mesh 2500 61 unit_models thanks

i'am using this and i get a black screen

20 ne_huge_bombard_crew 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod1.mesh 900 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod2.mesh 2500 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod3.mesh 6400 1 5 milan 77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_milan.texture 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture 43 unit_sprites/milan_Dummy_NE_Crew_sprite.spr 5 milan 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_norm.texture unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_diff.texture 0 4 none 22 MTW2_Crew_Huge_Bombard 0 1 18 MTW2_Knife_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
:wall: :skull:

ezekiel6
01-03-2007, 03:35
As far as I understand it the 4 means there are 4 level of detail meshes to load for the unit and the larger numbers are the distance that each lod should be used

the_mango55
01-03-2007, 03:49
What do the Bold numbers stand for?
thanks

i'am using this and i get a black screen

20 ne_huge_bombard_crew 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod1.mesh 900 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod2.mesh 2500 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod3.mesh 6400 1 5 milan 77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_milan.texture 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture 43 unit_sprites/milan_Dummy_NE_Crew_sprite.spr 5 milan 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_norm.texture unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_diff.texture 0 4 none 22 MTW2_Crew_Huge_Bombard 0 1 18 MTW2_Knife_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
:wall: :skull:

Usually when I get a black screen it means I have mis numbered something.

It looks like you have forgotten the number before the attachment set normal texture. Also, you need 2 spaces between the 0 and 4.

Try this:

20 ne_huge_bombard_crew 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod1.mesh 900 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod2.mesh 2500 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod3.mesh 6400 1 5 milan 77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_milan.texture 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture 43 unit_sprites/milan_Dummy_NE_Crew_sprite.spr 5 milan 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_norm.texture 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_diff.texture 0 4 none 22 MTW2_Crew_Huge_Bombard 0 1 18 MTW2_Knife_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

I think that should work

billiam_maillib
01-03-2007, 04:39
no that didnt work >.< do i have to have a space inbetween the 1 and the 5 1 5 milan 77 ?

the_mango55
01-03-2007, 06:42
Oh yeah, and where it says " 0 4 none" it needs to be " 0 1 4 none" (with 2 spaces between 0 and 1)

20 ne_huge_bombard_crew 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod1.mesh 900 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod2.mesh 2500 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod3.mesh 6400 1 5 milan 77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_milan.texture 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture 43 unit_sprites/milan_Dummy_NE_Crew_sprite.spr 5 milan 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_norm.texture 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_diff.texture 0 1 4 none 22 MTW2_Crew_Huge_Bombard 0 1 18 MTW2_Knife_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

If that's not it then I have no idea.

ezekiel6
01-03-2007, 14:56
Hi Mango55, what unit did you use for your Swabian Swordsmen? I have been trying to make a unit with a similar look and can't find a unit that looks like that at all. Are you using a mesh that isn't used in the game?

the_mango55
01-03-2007, 15:58
Hi Mango55, what unit did you use for your Swabian Swordsmen? I have been trying to make a unit with a similar look and can't find a unit that looks like that at all. Are you using a mesh that isn't used in the game?

It's the upgraded Highland Nobles. They are in the en_lmail_hmail folder.

ezekiel6
01-03-2007, 15:59
cool, thanks for that.

Savage_German
01-03-2007, 22:59
Thanks, Mushashi! It's not that tough for me anymore! This tutorial enlightened me!

billiam_maillib
01-04-2007, 01:22
Nope that didnt work >.<, i think i'll try doing something else start froms scratch.

billiam_maillib
01-04-2007, 06:28
This is what i have done, i really dont know what i'am doing wrong i have followed every bit of advice to the letter, yet i still get the error.
http://www.box.net/public/c6j3o13b7n

Savage_German
01-04-2007, 09:31
Okay, I'm having a problem:

14 GR_Pikemen_ug2 1 4 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod0.mesh 121 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod1.mesh 900 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod2.mesh 2500 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod3.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 79 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_byzantium.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 41 unit_sprites/byzantium_Pikemen_ug2_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_france_diff.texture 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 9 MTW2_Pike 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

billiam_maillib
01-04-2007, 20:33
14 GR_Pikemen_ug2 1 4 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod0.mesh 121 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod1.mesh 900 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod2.mesh 2500 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod3.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 79 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_byzantium.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 41 unit_sprites/byzantium_Pikemen_ug2_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_france_diff.texture 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 9 MTW2_Pike 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

try that, that might work

billiam_maillib
01-04-2007, 21:06
also i uploaded the wrong file heres the right one http://www.box.net/public/416g5zgcou

Lysander
01-05-2007, 17:25
I saw there were two scots models that were not yet used by the game(en_highlander_basic, en_highlander_chainmail) so I tried to code them in to see what they looked like, but I get a blank screen when the custom battle loads. I used the highland rabble unit as a base, here is my entry:

15 highland_rabble 1 4 62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/en_highlander_basic_lod0.mesh 121 62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/en_highlander_basic_lod1.mesh 900 62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/en_highlander_basic_lod2.mesh 2500 62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/en_highlander_basic_lod3.mesh 6400 2 8 scotland 72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/textures/en_highlander_scotland.texture 70 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/textures/en_highlander_normal.texture 48 unit_sprites/scotland_Highland_Rabble_sprite.spr 5 slave 70 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/textures/en_highlander_rebels.texture 70 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/textures/en_highlander_normal.texture 45 unit_sprites/slave_Highland_Rabble_sprite.spr 2 8 scotland 69 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_scotland_diff.texture 69 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_scotland_norm.texture 0 5 slave 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_slave_diff.texture 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_slave_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 18 MTW2_Fast_Knifeman 0 1 18 MTW2_Knife_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Really the only thing i changed was to alter:
58 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/highland_rabble_lod1.mesh
to:
62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/en_highlander_basic_lod0.mesh

Anyone have ideas what I am doing wrong?

Eltharon
01-05-2007, 23:00
I'm getting a problem with the modeldb file, but I dont know what it is. As a test, I created a new unit called Northern Nobles and based them on highland nobles. I wanted to use the .texture files of a dismounted feudal knight, but otherwise not change them.

Heres my DB code

15 northern_nobles 1 4 58 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/highland_nobles_lod0.mesh 121 58 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/highland_nobles_lod1.mesh 900 58 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/highland_nobles_lod2.mesh 2500 58 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/highland_nobles_lod3.mesh 6400 1 8 scotland 72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/textures/en_lmail_hmail_scotland1.texture 70 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/textures/en_highlander_normal.texture 48 unit_sprites/scotland_Highland_Nobles_sprite.spr 1 8 scotland 70 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_scotland_diff.texture 70 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_scotland_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 16 MTW2_2HSwordsman 0 1 24 MTW2_2HSwordsman_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 19 northern_nobles_ug1 1 4 63 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/highland_nobles_ug1_lod0.mesh 121 63 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/highland_nobles_ug1_lod1.mesh 900 63 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/highland_nobles_ug1_lod2.mesh 2500 63 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/highland_nobles_ug1_lod3.mesh 6400 1 8 scotland 74 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_scotland1.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_normal.texture 52 unit_sprites/scotland_Highland_Nobles_ug1_sprite.spr 1 8 scotland 70 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_scotland_diff.texture 70 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_scotland_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 16 MTW2_2HSwordsman 0 1 24 MTW2_2HSwordsman_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Where the en_lmail_hmail_scotland1.texture is my own custom texture

ezekiel6
01-06-2007, 00:11
Hi Eltharon for a start I would say that this line 1 8 scotland 72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/textures/en_lmail_hmail_scotland1.texture is wrong. The 72 should be changed to 74

the_mango55
01-06-2007, 05:28
So I have learned that there is a limit to the number of entrys that you can have in the models file. :embarassed:

One time after adding a unit, I tried to start the game, and it told me that it couldn't find the model for some historical battle unit, that I hadn't even messed with.

So I deleted one of the entrys I made that I wasn't using anymore, and it started right up.

:no: :no: :no:

Savage_German
01-06-2007, 12:23
What I'm doing wrong?
11 GR_Naffatun 1 3 62 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/naffatun_lod0.mesh 121 62 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/naffatun_lod1.mesh 1225 62 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/naffatun_lod2.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 89 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/textures/mtw2_ME_light_mail_byzantium.texture 86 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/textures/mtw2_ME_light_mail_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/byzantium_Naffatun_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final ME Heavy_egypt_diff.texture 60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final ME Heavy_egypt_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 17 MTW2_Fast_Javelin 20 MTW2_Non_Shield_Fast 1 20 MTW2_Javelin_primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Musashi
01-06-2007, 14:44
So I have learned that there is a limit to the number of entrys that you can have in the models file. :embarassed:

One time after adding a unit, I tried to start the game, and it told me that it couldn't find the model for some historical battle unit, that I hadn't even messed with.

So I deleted one of the entrys I made that I wasn't using anymore, and it started right up.

:no: :no: :no:
Doesn't necessarily mean that... If you had messed up an earlier entry, it could have caused it to choke and not see the entry for the historical battle unit later in the file...

Eltharon
01-06-2007, 22:26
Hi Eltharon for a start I would say that this line 1 8 scotland 72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Highlander/textures/en_lmail_hmail_scotland1.texture is wrong. The 72 should be changed to 74

It is possible. What exactly are you trying to do? If you just want to change the aesthetics its quite easy. But, a new map with different provinces is quite challenging.

:wall: :wall: :wall: Why did I not see that...?

Thanks alot. I'm off to test it now

EDIT: OK, it works...but the texture is really screwed up. The helmet texture is on their chest, the hand texture on their behind, their pants as cone helmets...

The aim is to get the DFK look (Great helm, heavy chain), with a greatsword. As I think about this, it occurs to me that the meshes would need to be fiddled with, wouldnt they?

Musashi
01-07-2007, 03:10
Yes.

Eltharon
01-07-2007, 04:51
Hmmm, I guess there goes that idea...oh well, thanks anyway

the_mango55
01-07-2007, 19:31
The aim is to get the DFK look (Great helm, heavy chain), with a greatsword. As I think about this, it occurs to me that the meshes would need to be fiddled with, wouldnt they?

With a great helm, yes.

But there is already a mesh that is very similar to what you want, just no great helm, in the highland_nobles_ug1.

They are wearing open face helms, but they have the heavy chain and the greatsword.

This is an example (as I guess you saw as you read through the thread), the second guy.

Byzantine Emperor
01-07-2007, 21:16
Hi, I am not new to unit editing ( I did quite a lot for Rome ) but the battle_models file is a long shot from descr_model_battle. That is the only thing putting me off. Is there an easier way to read the file?

Jambo
01-10-2007, 10:35
So, the --io.file_first is incompatible with a mymod folder? There's no way to interlink the two?

Lusted
01-10-2007, 13:34
Hi, I am not new to unit editing ( I did quite a lot for Rome ) but the battle_models file is a long shot from descr_model_battle. That is the only thing putting me off. Is there an easier way to read the file?

Not atm, though im working on spacing things out more in the file so its more readable, once im done ill upload it somewhere.

Bijo
01-10-2007, 19:08

Is that one guy in there taking a dump in his armor? :laugh4:

Rafaelinho
01-18-2007, 14:12
Hello !

I tried to add a new unit for a new faction that I created : Kiev

This is what I kept in Data base :

18 ee_cavalry_militia 1 3 66 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/ee_cavalry_militia_lod0.mesh 121 66 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/ee_cavalry_militia_lod1.mesh 1225 66 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/ee_cavalry_militia_lod2.mesh 6400 1 4 kiev 75 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/textures/mtw2_ee_peasant_kiev.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/textures/mtw2_EE_Peasant_normal.texture 47 unit_sprites/kiev_ee_cavalry_militia_sprite.spr 1 4 kiev 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/final european light_kiev_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/final european light_kiev_norm.texture 0 1 5 Horse 13 MTW2_HR_Spear 13 MTW2_HR_Sword 2 21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 22 ee_cavalry_militia_ug1 1 4 78 unit_models/_Units/EE_Bekhtera_Heavy_Lamellar/ee_cavalry_militia_ug1_lod0.mesh 121 78 unit_models/_Units/EE_Bekhtera_Heavy_Lamellar/ee_cavalry_militia_ug1_lod1.mesh 900 78 unit_models/_Units/EE_Bekhtera_Heavy_Lamellar/ee_cavalry_militia_ug1_lod2.mesh 2500 78 unit_models/_Units/EE_Bekhtera_Heavy_Lamellar/ee_cavalry_militia_ug1_lod3.mesh 6400 1 4 kiev 94 unit_models/_Units/EE_Bekhtera_Heavy_Lamellar/textures/ee_bekhtera_heavy_lamellar_kiev.texture 96 unit_models/_Units/EE_Bekhtera_Heavy_Lamellar/textures/EE_Bekhtera_Heavy_Lamellar_normal.texture 51 unit_sprites/kiev_ee_cavalry_militia_ug1_sprite.spr 1 4 kiev 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/final european light_kiev_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/final european light_kiev_norm.texture 0 1 5 Horse 13 MTW2_HR_Spear 13 MTW2_HR_Sword 2 21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

When I stat a battle with this unit it shows texture unit only if I go very close to the unit. Horses don't appears because I did't keep them in the database.

https://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7614/bouhea8.jpg

Please :help: me

Martinaz
01-24-2007, 21:04
Is it possible to make a swiss guard with having swords instead??

Martinaz
01-28-2007, 13:52
Ok, i wanted to have the the same looks of a Swiis guard, but now with sword!
So i copied the swiss guard and mixed it with the "dismounted feudal knights"

type Swiss Guard Swordman
dictionary Swiss_Guard_Swordman ; Swiss Guard Swordman
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
accent German
banner holy crusade
soldier Swiss_Guard_Swordman, 48, 0, 1.2
formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square
stat_pri 13, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr no
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 7, 8, 6, metal
;stat_armour_ex 7, 8, 0, 0, 8, 6, 6, metal
stat_heat 5
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_mental 11, disciplined, highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 890, 175, 100, 75, 890, 4, 220
armour_ug_levels 3
armour_ug_models Swiss_Guard
ownership papal_states
era 2 papal_states
;unit_info 12, 0, 12

And in
battle_moddels.dbectect.

20 swiss_guard_swordman 1 4 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/swiss_guard_lod0.mesh 121 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/swiss_guard_lod1.mesh 900 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/swiss_guard_lod2.mesh 2500 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/swiss_guard_lod3.mesh 6400 1 12 papal_states 82 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_papal_states.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 48 unit_sprites/papal_states_Swiss_Guard_sprite.spr 1 12 papal_states 73 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_papal_states_diff.texture 73 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_papal_states_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 14 MTW2_Swordsman 0 2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

In preferences

[io]
file_first = True

and i created a .bat

and i made a UI card.

Now. Letstest it:
WHAM* it didn't worked!
Why why why why??
Oh, lets see theres a system.log. lets open it:

12:47:20.718 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
12:47:20.718 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Dec 5 2006 version development ===
12:47:20.718 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
12:47:20.718 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
12:47:20.718 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
12:47:20.718 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
12:47:20.718 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
12:47:20.718 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
12:47:21.359 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
12:47:21.359 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
12:47:21.359 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
12:47:21.375 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
12:47:22.468 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 8062, column 1
Stat_health statistic missing from unit type 'Swiss Guard Swordman'.
12:47:22.468 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file data/export_descr_unit.txt.
=( What did I do wrong...what did i do wrong...

caprera
01-29-2007, 10:58
Step Three: Texture Alteration

First you go to unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures. In here you'll see textures for this model type for a bunch of different factions. What you need to do is open one, say rn_half_3q_plate_england.texture, with a hex editor, and cut (Cut to the clipboard, you're going to need to paste it back in later) the first 48 bytes. Now rename the file from .texture to .dds, and load it up in your favorite image processing software. I'm going to be talking about how to work with it in Photoshop CS2, because that's what I own.

I've made everything right ( at least i suppose...), but i encountered difficulties here. First time in text modding and i already find stuck in :sweatdrop:

Never seen an HEX editor and i don't know what to look for. I downloaded it, but selecting those "48 bites" it's too much as now. I need some explanation on what to look for and modify...

Someone can help ?

P.S. I'm starting this because of my intention to mod existing units for the mod i'm working on with others. I would take advantage of this discussion to ask here if someone is interested. The Mod is in Italian but there are no problems for us. HERE'S (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=868775#post868775) a link to the discussion on TWC. We also have our own forum but it's in italian language and so for now it's useless. If someone wants to help us.

ezekiel6
01-29-2007, 12:22
If you go here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75726) you can download a texture to dds converter which will convert the files into something Photoshop can read. You'll also need the Nvidia plugins for PS, that way you won't have to do any hex editing.

caprera
01-29-2007, 14:18
So i will only have to rename a copy of that texture file and use it for my new unit right ??

Thanks for your help!

caprera
01-30-2007, 00:09
Everything worked fine! Now i need to test it in-game. If i say right i should see them in custom battles changin' a DDS, the export unit, the models.db and an icon ?? And to see them in campaign ??

fenir
01-30-2007, 11:24
Out of all the TW games, that has to be the most annoying, heart breaking, pain in the ******** :furious3: :dizzy2: :skull: :wall:

I have every had to edit......

which noob wasn't on our side when they made the modeldb file ffs.

MTW unit thingie took me 15 mins to figure out, and 15 mins to create a "new unit".

4 hours later.... i am about to test.......please excuse next post.....if all is not well.

fenir :furious3:

fenir
01-30-2007, 11:45
:wall:

:furious3:

:help:

:oops:

:sweatdrop:

:shame:

*snivel* All i wanted was to make the Spainish musketeers, and militia Crossbow included in byzantium.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

oh well, what doesn't kill me, only.......argh shove it John!!

Sqaure 1......

fenir

Martinaz
01-30-2007, 23:03
aah pity you.
Atleast you know you could make a new unit. CHANGING WEAPONS IS IMPOSSIBLE in med2

caprera
01-30-2007, 23:55
But no one else that whiners here ?? Where are "Those who know" ??

ezekiel6
01-31-2007, 00:02
What is it that you are stuck with?

fenir
01-31-2007, 11:07
Is there a program for editing the modeldb file? One that can open it in a sort of ordered sense?

fenir

caprera
01-31-2007, 11:13
What is it that you are stuck with?

Everything worked for me but i wanted to know how can i include this new unit in the campaign.:book:

ezekiel6
01-31-2007, 18:06
Fenir; at the moment there is no prgram for editing the modeldb file other than notepad. sometimes switching on word wrap can make things a little easier to see, but that's it.
Caprera to get your new units into the campaign you have to open the export_description_building.txt and decide what building you want for the creation of your units, you then have to make an entry under that building so the campaign will know they are buildable eg;

recruit_pool "Crossbow Militia" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { byzantium,}
You'll also need to put entries for the units in the export_units.txt file in the text folder and if you haven't done so already you'll need to make .tga for the unit pic in the data/ui/units folder and a unit_info .tga for the data/ui/unit_info folder. That should be about all the things you need to change.

caprera
02-01-2007, 00:25
Thanks !

KnightErrant
02-02-2007, 02:21
I've created a formatted version of the modeldb file that might
be easier to edit. I uploaded it here:

http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Rtw_Uploads/RTWupload/

It is called formatted_modeldb.zip.

For those technically interested I parsed it with a MatLab script using
regular expressions to format as per KleeMann's suggestions. This file
has no other mods to it, it is just the vanilla battle_models.modeldb
with the appropriate carriage return/linefeed control codes inserted where
needed. I tested it with the --io.file_first switch and it worked. I then
broke it (by changing one of the string numbers to something incorrect) to make sure I was actually reading it and got the usual CTD. I then changed it
back and tested it again to make sure the game loaded.
Any feedback on its usefulness would be appreciated.

Happy modding.~:)

ezekiel6
02-02-2007, 02:38
KnightErrant this is cool definitely much easier to read, should make modding units a breeze.

KnightErrant
02-02-2007, 03:16
Thanks!:beam:

Re Berengario I
02-02-2007, 20:21
Thanks to you KnightErrant! You saved all of us a lot of nasty, booooring work! :D

DukeofSerbia
02-02-2007, 20:33
KnightErrant

Beautiful! :balloon2: Even now when I am already familiar with file. I hope that my friend will successfully write program to work with it for easy moding. That sorted file, I think, can help.

KnightErrant
02-04-2007, 02:24
Thanks guys.~:)

oncast
02-04-2007, 17:16
Thanks to everyone making such a great work !

Need some help : I have added some unit (which was before just a rebel one )
I have made changes in .modeldb , export_descr_unit , export_descr_buildings , but I am getting this error:

Script Error in DLV_ext/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 150, column 52
Unknown unit type specified

I wonder where I could miss that description...? ( using bat file with MOD dir )

Thanks .. :balloon2:

ezekiel6
02-04-2007, 17:49
Have you gone to the line to see what is written there? Perhaps it is a spelling mistake? Make sure that the unit name matches in both the export_descr_unit and export_descr_bulidings.txts

Jerek Kruger
02-10-2007, 01:44
Made my first unit today. Nothing fancy but it worked so I now know I can do more. Thanks for the guide and the comments, they were all really helpful.

gropro
02-18-2007, 04:16
Thanks for that info, finally i was able to mount musketeers. Hooah.

AliAS
02-24-2007, 21:32
Please can somebody help me :dizzy2:
i want add this unit.
(I dont see there problem, but game wasn&#180;t run :furious3: . )
I make quite many copy/paste from Norse_swordmen.
THX for help

This write me systemlog
21:27:16.000 [script.err] [error] Script Error in MCRM/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 14771, column 2
Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'GR_Slovan'.

21:27:16.000 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file MCRM/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

Descr_unit.txt
type GR Slovan
dictionary GR_Slovan ; Slovanski sermiari
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
soldier GR_Slovan, 48, 0, 1.2
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 11, 2, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr no
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 5, 7, 6, metal
;stat_armour_ex 5, 7, 8, 0, 7, 6, 6, metal
stat_heat 4
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_mental 5, normal, trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 400, 150, 75, 55, 400, 4, 100
armour_ug_levels 2, 3, 4
armour_ug_models GR_Slovan, GR_Slovan_ug1, GR_Slovan_ug2
ownership milan, slave
era 1 milan
era 2 milan
;unit_info 11, 0, 18

Modelsdbfile
9 GR_Slovan
1 4
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norse_swordsmen_lod0.mesh 121
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norse_swordsmen_lod1.mesh 900
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norse_swordsmen_lod2.mesh 2500
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norse_swordsmen_lod3.mesh 6400
5 milan
71 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_milan.texture
72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_normal.texture
50 unit_sprites/denmark_Viking_Raiders_ug2_sprite.spr
5 slave
72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_rebels.texture
48 unit_sprites/slave_Viking_Raiders_ug2_sprite.spr
5 milan
58 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Danish_milan_diff.texture
60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Danish_denmark_norm.texture 0
5 slave
58 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Danish_slave_diff.texture
58 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Danish_slave_norm.texture 0
4 None
14 MTW2_Swordsman 0
18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
14 fs_test_shield 0
16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
13 GR_Slovan_ug1
1 4
63 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norse_swordsmen_ug1_lod0.mesh 121
63 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norse_swordsmen_ug1_lod1.mesh 900
63 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norse_swordsmen_ug1_lod2.mesh 2500
63 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norse_swordsmen_ug1_lod3.mesh 6400
5 milan
71 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_milan.texture
50 unit_sprites/denmark_Viking_Raiders_ug3_sprite.spr
5 slave
72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_rebels.texture
48 unit_sprites/slave_Viking_Raiders_ug3_sprite.spr
5 milan
58 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Danish_milan_norm.texture 0
5 slave
4 None
14 MTW2_Swordsman 0
18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
14 fs_test_shield 0
13 GR_Slovan_ug2
1 3
69 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/norse_swordsmen_ug2_lod0.mesh 121
69 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/norse_swordsmen_ug2_lod1.mesh 1225
69 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/norse_swordsmen_ug2_lod2.mesh 6400
5 milan
80 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_milan.texture
81 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_normal.texture
51 unit_sprites/denmark_Norse_Swordsmen_ug2_sprite.spr
5 slave
81 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_rebels.texture
81 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_normal.texture
49 unit_sprites/slave_Norse_Swordsmen_ug2_sprite.spr
5 milan
5 slave
4 None
14 MTW2_Swordsman 0
18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
14 fs_test_shield 0

KnightErrant
02-24-2007, 23:43
Hi AliAS
I think part of the problem might be your
AttachmentSets entries in the modeldb file.
Unless you copied and renamed them, these
don't exist.

You can change them back, milan -> denmark, and change the character counts back,
but keep your milan textures in the body blocks.
Check all 3 upgrade levels.

And just to check, you're also using the io.file_first switch?

AliAS
02-25-2007, 10:06
I made that shield textures first so there is no problem.
I also using io file .
And i have also textures for milan. But game still dont run
It looks problem is can be here. Tha game can&#180;t battle soldier battle model. but for what ??

AliAS
02-25-2007, 22:46
i start again with new name and now all funcion great. :2thumbsup:

KnightErrant
02-26-2007, 06:16
Glad you got it working.~:cheers: Sorry I couldn't help you
better.

AliAS
02-26-2007, 16:11
You say sorry me, you don´t need say me sorry.
I thank you for help and for your great formated_battlemodelsdbfile
If you don´t edit it a never can make new unit :smash: :bow: :bow:

Baxter
02-27-2007, 04:43
Hoping for a quick hand...I'm trying to create a Spear unit for sicily out of "Merc. Dismounted Frankish Knights" I can get everything except I get those silver looking ghost armies and I just can't figure out how to get it to look...well "normal" sorry for the long post but was hoping someone smarter than me could point out my errors..thanks.

type Sicilian Spearmen
dictionary Sicilian_Spearmen ; Sicilian Spearmen
category infantry
class spearmen
voice_type Heavy
accent French
banner faction main_spear
banner holy crusade
soldier Dismounted_Frankish_Knights, 48, 0, 1.35
formation 1.0, 1.0, 2.0, 2.0, 4, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 11, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 0, 0.7
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr spear, spear_bonus_10
stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 0.7
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 9, 9, 6, metal
;stat_armour_ex 7, 0, 0, 0, 4, 6, 6, metal
stat_heat 5
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_mental 11, normal, trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay -2500
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 570, 200, 90, 70, 870, 4, 160
armour_ug_levels 3, 4
armour_ug_models Dismounted_Frankish_Knights, Dismounted_Frankish_Knights
ownership sicily
era 0 sicily
era 1 sicily
;unit_info 9, 0, 17
19 sicilian_spearmen
1 4
71 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/dismounted_frankish_knights_lod0.mesh 121
71 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/dismounted_frankish_knights_lod1.mesh 900
71 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/dismounted_frankish_knights_lod2.mesh 2500
71 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/dismounted_frankish_knights_lod3.mesh 6400
6 sicily
72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_sicily.texture
56 unit_sprites/merc_Dismounted_Frankish_Knights_sprite.spr
6 sicily
55 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Kite_merc_diff.texture
55 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Kite_merc_norm.texture 0
4 None
10 MTW2_Spear 0
18 MTW2_Spear_primary
14 fs_test_shield 0

Russ Mitchell
03-01-2007, 14:53
First off, thanks for this thread.

I have a similar question, because while I think I understand the tutorial, I'm not sure I understand the modeldb file. I tried to modify magyar_cavalry to create a Szekely unit. Judging by my reading here, I've borked the modeldb file. It gets right up to the battle screen, where you see the sprites for your unit, and then I get the unspecified error.

"szekely_cavalry" is one letter longer than "magyar_cavalry," so I've increased the digit count by one. I also created textures with an outright copy/paste from the magyar cav. (I'm an historian, so I'm a nerd, not a geek. ;) I don't even own a copy of photoshop, though that should probably change).

So, my question is the following: what else needed to be done in said editing? From what I've read, it doesn't sound like random modifications to weapons and defensive stats should make a difference -- but if it does, then I've seriously misunderstood the tutorial itself.

This is fun. Thanks.
Edit: Oh, along with that. If I used the formatted modelsdb file, would there be any pitfalls about how many space characters to include, etc? I've replaced theone with the other after backing it up, but it occurs to me that I might have committed a beginner's error on that front.

KnightErrant
03-01-2007, 16:23
Hi Russ,
The formatted modeldb file is identical to the vanilla EXCEPT
that it has carriage return/linefeeds inserted to break the lines nicely.
So it preserves all the funny space at end of line and double spaces
after some 0's and all that stuff that the modeldb file is so picky about.
If you are just starting to mod this file may I suggest you get the version 2.0
formatted modeldb file here
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79455

The advantage is I've included a Python syntax checking script
that can check those character counts and faction counts that are
so easy to get wrong.

But yes, modding this file is both fun and frustrating at the same time.~:)

-Amon-
03-01-2007, 18:20
I tried 30 times and still blank screen with error noise..

I edited EDU file for making my neew unit "ghazi infantry"..

1.here is EDU entry

type Ghazi_Infantry
dictionary Ghazi_Infantry ; Ghazi Infantry
category infantry
class light
voice_type Light
accent Arabic
banner holy crusade
soldier Ghazi_Infantry, 48, 0, 1
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 11, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, axe, 25, 1.2
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 0, 1, 6, flesh
;stat_armour_ex 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 6, 6, flesh
stat_heat 0
stat_ground 1, 1, 0, -1
stat_mental 9, impetuous, untrained
stat_charge_dist 40
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 490, 70, 90, 70, 490, 4, 120
armour_ug_levels 0
armour_ug_models Ghazi_Infantry
ownership turks
era 0 turks
era 1 turks
era 2 turks
;unit_info 10, 0, 7

2.and model.db entry

14 Ghazi_Infantry 1 4 51 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/ghazis_lod0.mesh 121 51 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/ghazis_lod1.mesh 900 51 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/ghazis_lod2.mesh 2500 51 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/ghazis_lod3.mesh 6400 1 5 turks 76 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/textures/ME_Peasant_Variant_turks.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/textures/ME_Peasant_Variant_normal.texture 35 unit_sprites/turks_Ghazi_Infantry_sprite.spr 1 5 turks 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 14 MTW2_Fast_Mace 0 2 17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

3.i added the line,

[io]
file_first = 1 to mediecal.pre.cfg...

4. I created turks_Ghazi_Infantry_sprite.spr file..

BUT..

I still get blank screen :wall:

I REALLY appriciated for your help..

KnightErrant
03-01-2007, 18:42
@-Amon-
Check the character count on your sprite entry.
I think it's 44 not 35. See if that cures the blank
screen.

Russ Mitchell
03-01-2007, 19:57
The advantage is I've included a Python syntax checking script that can check those character counts and faction counts that are so easy to get wrong.

But yes, modding this file is both fun and frustrating at the same time.~:)

Thanks. I'll run this through (am trying not to post the text until I've exhausted the other options...)

-Amon-
03-01-2007, 20:16
@-Amon-
Check the character count on your sprite entry.
I think it's 44 not 35. See if that cures the blank
screen.

uh,no...I still get blank screen :(

i changed to
14 Ghazi_Infantry 1 4 51 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/ghazis_lod0.mesh 121 51 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/ghazis_lod1.mesh 900 51 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/ghazis_lod2.mesh 2500 51 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/ghazis_lod3.mesh 6400 1 5 turks 76 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/textures/ME_Peasant_Variant_turks.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Padded/textures/ME_Peasant_Variant_normal.texture 44 unit_sprites/turks_Ghazi_Infantry_sprite.spr 1 5 turks 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 14 MTW2_Fast_Mace 0 2 17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

KnightErrant
03-01-2007, 20:57
@-Amon-
OK, sorry I didn't count every thing carefully.
Try changing these two entries

65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_diff.texture
65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_norm.texture 0

to

66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_diff.texture
66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_norm.texture 0

-Amon-
03-01-2007, 21:13
@-Amon-
OK, sorry I didn't count every thing carefully.
Try changing these two entries

65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_diff.texture
65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_norm.texture 0

to

66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_diff.texture
66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Middle eastern_turks_norm.texture 0

Yess,thanks a lot !!It worked !!!:2thumbsup:

Anyway,what did we do by changing these parameters??? whats the meaning difference of 65 & 66 ??:book: for future usings..

KnightErrant
03-01-2007, 21:41
@-Amon-
Every string in the modeldb file has a number in front of it
that is the number of characters in that string. I was just
counting your strings and telling you what numbers I got.

It looks like you are using the original modeldb file which isn't
formatted. This is very difficult to work with. Take a look
in this thread.

I made a formatted modeldb file (vanilla only, no mods in it) that
has line break characters so it's easier to edit. I also made a
syntax checker (a Python script so you would need Python to use
it) that checks all these counts for you. Even without the
syntax checker, the formatted file is much easier.~:)

alpaca
03-02-2007, 14:05
@-Amon-
Every string in the modeldb file has a number in front of it
that is the number of characters in that string. I was just
counting your strings and telling you what numbers I got.

It looks like you are using the original modeldb file which isn't
formatted. This is very difficult to work with. Take a look
in this thread.

I made a formatted modeldb file (vanilla only, no mods in it) that
has line break characters so it's easier to edit. I also made a
syntax checker (a Python script so you would need Python to use
it) that checks all these counts for you. Even without the
syntax checker, the formatted file is much easier.~:)
Hmm why don't you write a quick conversion utility that takes a formatted text file without string length info and supplies the string length info into the modeldb? Would be pretty easy to do and quite useful methinks.

KnightErrant
03-02-2007, 16:10
Agreed, it would be pretty easy. When I first did the
syntax checker I thought about this. Since I read line by line
I could check the character counts and write out a corrected
line. Faction counts would be harder since you have to buffer
up the data for all faction entries until you know you're done
processing a body textures block or an AttachmentSets block.

Main reason I didn't do this is: who's trusting enough to allow
a Python script write access to their modeldb file?:laugh4:

-Amon-
03-02-2007, 18:41
uhh..me again..:help:

i want to use my unit on campaign so i edited export_descr_buildings.txt as follows :

recruit_pool "Ghazi Infantry" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { turks, }

**It is in all castles and garrison quarters (and upgaredes too) sections..

so,when i run .exe,i get game loading screen and after that game crashes to windows..

I looked to system.log.txt file and at the and of the line :

[system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAG[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
[data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
[script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 239, column 48
Unknown unit type specified: Ghazi Infantry

Do you have any idea for solution?:wall: :whip: :furious3:

KnightErrant
03-02-2007, 19:31
Hi -Amon-

It's your edu entry

type Ghazi_Infantry
dictionary Ghazi_Infantry ; Ghazi Infantry
category infantry
class light
voice_type Light
accent Arabic

Usually the type entry doesn't have an underscore but since
you specified it that way try using

"Ghazi_Infantry"

in your edb file, I mean export_descr_buildings.txt,
and see if that works.

-Amon-
03-02-2007, 21:23
Yes it worked !!

thank you again KnightErrant,you are my savior :2thumbsup: ~:cheers::cheerleader:

I'm begining for my new unit "Mounted Janissary"...

See you soon ~:joker:

KnightErrant
03-02-2007, 21:41
@-Amon-
Excellent:2thumbsup:

-Amon-
03-03-2007, 11:27
hello again!

I read at first page that about an hex editor to cut texture files..

I searched in google and get thousands of result..

Which hex editor do you use?

KnightErrant
03-03-2007, 16:13
Hi -Amon-
Yes there are lots of them. I don't know which
is best. I use hexedit which is very basic but does
the job. Its here
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/
Since its written by somebody at university I tend
to trust it a little better.

Are you converting textures to dds to put them in
Photoshop?

-Amon-
03-03-2007, 22:27
yes i tried but i got an error message like this

" this is an unknown file format bla bla bla..."

and what about "cutting first 48 bytes"? when i open a .texture file with hex editor,i see numbered lines at left on the screen and every line has number pairs..like :

20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ..

KnightErrant
03-03-2007, 23:45
Hi -Amon-
That's what you should see. Each pair represents one
8-bit byte. Each line in hexedit is 16 bytes long. Thus
48 bytes is 3 lines. On the fourth line over on the right
in what's called the ASCII window you should see DDS
and in the hex window for the fourth line you should see
the three hex numbers 44 44 53 which are the hex codes
for the upper case characters DDS.

Make sure you've backed up this file. Then you can cut
the first three lines and save the file as filename.dds.
Then you can open it in Photoshop but you must have
the nvidia DDS plugin for Photoshop or it won't recognize
the file type.

Hesford
03-07-2007, 19:33
Thanks, great tutorial!:2thumbsup:

One problem though.

If I right click on the unit to bring up its info scroll, the picture of the unit, the unit stats and the unit abilities come up, but where the name of the unit and the description should be, I get a sentence saying 'unlocalised placement text'.

Any help much appreciated.:help:

KnightErrant
03-07-2007, 19:42
@Hesford

Did you put entries for them in the export_units.txt file
under /data/text and delete the corresponding .strings.bin file?

Hesford
03-07-2007, 20:51
I did, but my strings.bin file is not reappearing, that may have something to do with it.

Goatbuster3000
03-08-2007, 02:22
Hey guys, if we're following the tutorial (creating Byzantine Dragoons) couldn't we just take a texture file(like rn_half_3q_plate_england.texture), copy it, and rename it to rn_half_3q_plate_byzantiym.texture? I'm having some trouble and I believe it to be the modeldb file. The error log says it "Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'GR_Dragoons'." in my mod folder. But shouldn't the modeldm file be in the default M2TW data/ unit_modles folder? It also says there was an error reading from my mod folders export/unit file. I've copied everything directly from the tutorial as I read along, so to make sure there was no error. Is there anything I could have missed?

Goatbuster3000
03-08-2007, 02:28
Ok, nevermind. I missed the "one space" rule in my export_units file. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Hesford
03-09-2007, 17:41
Is there any way I can download a export_units.txt.strings, or re-create one?

KnightErrant
03-09-2007, 17:50
@hesford

You can download it from this thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=73971

Hesford
03-10-2007, 13:44
Thanks, I completely forgot about that, and that's where I downloaded my files from!:dizzy2: :oops:

KnightErrant
03-11-2007, 03:17
@hesford
Did you ever resolve your "unlocalised placement text"
problem or are you still working on it?

Sahran
03-13-2007, 07:58
I desperately need help with this. The damn file has been failing me at every turn and as far as I can surmise there is nothing wrong with this code, but obviously for it to CTD every time the game starts up, there is.

29 hospitaller_sergeant_spearmen
1 4
65 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/sergeant_spearmen_ug2_lod0.mesh 121
65 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/sergeant_spearmen_ug2_lod1.mesh 900
65 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/sergeant_spearmen_ug2_lod2.mesh 2500
65 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/sergeant_spearmen_ug2_lod3.mesh 6400
6 sicily
78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/crusader_hosp_sergeant_mail.texture
72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_email_email_normal.texture
52 unit_sprites/sicily_Dummy_EN_Spearmen_ug2_sprite.spr
6 sicily
57 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Kite_sicily_diff.texture
57 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Kite_sicily_norm.texture 0
4 None
10 MTW2_Spear 0
18 MTW2_Spear_primary
14 fs_test_shield 0

I'll upload the file and do just about everything if someone is willing to try and help me do this. This is keeping me from skinning further or modding in anything for the game. :(

KnightErrant
03-13-2007, 15:53
@sahran
Your character counts look ok so let me ask a question.
Do you get the black screen on loading or do you see a
splash screen and then get a CTD? If the latter, the problem
is probably in your EDU and your modeldb file is ok.

postaboi707
03-17-2007, 11:34
excellent

Wontonman
03-21-2007, 07:06
Hey i need help.

after seeing this i tried to add a new unit to the game for my welsh faction.
ive created new textures and everything and they are all in the right files. but i still get the CTD when the game loads. theres just a black screen and it stays like that until i press esc:wall:
here is a copy of what ive done

type Welsh Cavalry
dictionary Welsh_Cavalry ; Welsh Cavalry
category cavalry
class light
voice_type Light
accent Scottish
banner holy crusade
soldier Welsh_Cavalry, 32, 0, 1
mount heavy horse
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, general_unit
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 7, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 0.6
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr spear, spear_bonus_8
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 0, 3, 3, flesh
;stat_armour_ex 0, 0, 0, 0, 3, 3, 3, flesh
stat_heat 2
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 340, 150, 85, 65, 340, 4, 80
armour_ug_levels 0
armour_ug_models Welsh_Cavalry
ownership wales
era 0 wales
era 1 wales
;unit_info 7, 0, 6

btw for the modeldb file im using the formatted modeldb

5 wales
65 unit_models/Mounts/Heavy_Horse/textures/heavy_horse_wales.texture
66 unit_models/Mounts/Heavy_Horse/textures/heavy_horse_normal.texture
49 unit_sprites/england_Mount_Heavy_Horse_sprite.spr

14 welsh_spearmen
1 4
61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/welsh_spearmen_lod0.mesh 121
61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/welsh_spearmen_lod1.mesh 900
61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/welsh_spearmen_lod2.mesh 2500
61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/welsh_spearmen_lod3.mesh 6400
5 slave
78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture
47 unit_sprites/slave_Dummy_EN_Spearmen_sprite.spr
5 wales
77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_wales.texture
46 unit_sprites/merc_Dummy_EN_Spearmen_sprite.spr
4 merc
77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_mercs.texture
5 slave
66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_slave_diff.texture
66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_slave_norm.texture 0
4 merc
65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_merc_diff.texture
65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_merc_norm.texture 0
4 None
10 MTW2_Spear 0
18 MTW2_Spear_primary
14 fs_test_shield 0
14 welsh_cavalry
1 4
61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/welsh_spearmen_lod0.mesh 121
61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/welsh_spearmen_lod1.mesh 900
61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/welsh_spearmen_lod2.mesh 2500
61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/welsh_spearmen_lod3.mesh 6400
5 slave
78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_rebels.texture
5 wales
77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_wales.texture
4 merc
77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_mercs.texture
5 slave
66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_slave_diff.texture
66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_slave_norm.texture 0
4 merc
5 Horse
13 MTW2_HR_Spear 1
21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary
14 fs_test_shield 2

please help

KnightErrant
03-21-2007, 14:32
@Wontonman
Several mistakes in the modeldb file entries. The faction count is
off here, the red 2 should be a 3 for the number of faction entries.
Also you only have 2 entries for the attachment set part, need to have
a corresponding wales entry for the attachment sets.

5 slave
5 wales
4 merc

For your welsh_cavalry unit the character count is off.

14 welsh_cavalry

Should be 13 not 14. Similar remarks for this entry about changing faction
numbers from 2 to 3 and making sure the attachment sets have a wales
entry as well.

Wontonman
03-22-2007, 04:56
im still having trouble any more ideas?

KnightErrant
03-22-2007, 16:53
@Wontonman
Boy, I was too focused on counting strings.
For your Welsh_Cavalry you're trying to turn
an infantry unit into a cavalry unit. I don't
think that's going to work. How about
copying the scots Border Horse modeldb entry
and make that into your welsh cavalry.

Wontonman
03-23-2007, 10:03
K thnx ill try that

methoz
03-26-2007, 22:46
my game just crash, i need add Forlorn Hope to Milan and nothing :(

Hesford
04-01-2007, 09:12
@hesford
Did you ever resolve your "unlocalised placement text"
problem or are you still working on it?

Yep, but I have another problem now, on the unit info scroll the picture of the unit doesn't appear.

Hesford
04-01-2007, 09:18
Edit: I get the dreaded grey peasant.

KnightErrant
04-02-2007, 15:31
@hesford
Did you put a .tga file in data/ui/units for it as per step 4 of the
tutorial, maybe the spelling is off and the exe isn't seeing it.

Hesford
04-03-2007, 11:41
Thanks, everything on the unit info and ui cards work, but I had to uninstall the game and do this again. Now my unit is invisible on the battle map.

Hesford
04-06-2007, 11:51
Someone? Please, anyone who has had this problem and knows what to do, or anyone who knows what to do anyway please :help:

Lord_XXX
04-07-2007, 09:35
Thanks for the tutorial its amazing, and after of study tutorials about mesh files and ms3d, did mi first units mod, cause i love gun powding weapons, thanks the tutorials did this, maybe you tell "nah, that is easy to do", but im newbie in mesh files, so see the images and tell me after, sorry for my bad english :oops: :smash:

Gunner Aztec Generals, Aztec generals using arquebusier
gunner coyote priests, coyote priests using musket
gun gothic knights, using arquebus

next post upload images cause my first post cant post urls:inquisitive: :furious3: :smash:

Thanks to
Musashi (For doing this excellent tutorial)
KnightErrant (For the formatted modeldb thanks alot)
GrumpyOldMan
zxiang1983

Lord_XXX
04-07-2007, 09:45
Thanks for the tutorial its amazing, and after of study tutorials about mesh files and ms3d, did mi first units mod, cause i love gun powding weapons, thanks the tutorials did this, maybe you tell "nah, that is easy to do", but im newbie in mesh files, so see the images and tell me after, sorry for my bad english :oops: :smash:

Gunner Aztec Generals, Aztec generals using arquebusier
gunner coyote priests, coyote priests using musket
gun gothic knights, using arquebus

next post upload images cause my first post cant post urls:inquisitive: :furious3: :smash:

Thanks to
Musashi (For doing this excellent tutorial)
KnightErrant (For the formatted modeldb thanks alot)
GrumpyOldMan
zxiang1983

The images are here

Gunner aztec generals
https://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9697/aztecgunnergeneralkx1.th.jpg (https://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aztecgunnergeneralkx1.jpg)

gunner coyote priests
https://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3476/gunnerpriestskh3.th.jpg (https://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gunnerpriestskh3.jpg)

gun gothic knights
https://img204.imageshack.us/img204/426/gungothicknightsxv4.th.jpg (https://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gungothicknightsxv4.jpg)

Hesford
04-07-2007, 10:16
Nive work, but where is everyone? I would be really grateful for someone to help me out here.

:help: :help: :help:

noas
04-07-2007, 10:22
for ctd problem you must change battle_models.modeldb file.when you open it with notepad original file start like this:
22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0 701 0 0 10
if you add a new model you change it like this (701+how many model you have added):
22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0 702 0 0 10
if you add a new unit with two models(normal+ug1 model) you must change it like this:
22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0 703 0 0 10

Lord_XXX
04-07-2007, 10:29
Note: in the gunner coyote priests i forgot delete the shield lol :oops: :smash: :laugh4: , rebuilding again the model without shield :furious3: next, maybe aztec cavalry or sultan's guard (egypt long spears) xD, i want to know how edit the dds files in photoshop xD, and edit textures :laugh4:

KnightErrant
04-10-2007, 05:05
@hesford
Apologies, been really tied up with mesh conversion stuff. Just got
all the skeletons for siege engines rigged and released so I can look
at modeldb stuff again. Kind of lost the thread here, what is the problem
your're having?

Hesford
04-10-2007, 09:53
Thanks KnightErrant, but I've found a work around for the problem I was having. An FAQ problems thread would be good for this tutorial, saying things that might be wrong for specific problems.

KnightErrant
04-10-2007, 14:27
@hesford
Ah, excellent. Your suggestion is a very good one, but I haven't added
enough units in to do it. But if someone has run into these problems and
could write a FAQ with suggestions on how to resolve them it would be
very useful to point people to rather than have to answer them each time.
I think it would be something like this:

(1) black screen on loading - syntax problem in modeldb file, recheck your
character counts for each entry. Make sure you've updated the faction
count number in both places, body textures and attachment sets.

(2) loads and gets to splash screen but then dies - something wrong in EDU
or EDB. Check entries in both against what you have in modeldb. Also make
sure you've updated the model count on the first line of the modeldb file.

(3) invisible units - I never got this one but other people have. Please
someone post what their solutions were.

(4) silver guys - probably a texture problem but I never got this. Again can
someone who resolved this one post some suggestions for where to start.

These seem to be the common problems people run into.

GrumpyOldMan
04-11-2007, 06:39
Hi KE

My turn to stalk you now :beam:

@hesford

(3) invisible units - I never got this one but other people have. Please
someone post what their solutions were.

If people have been working with Milkshape files, this can happen especially if you are working with a file saved under an old version of Milkshape or a plugin that saves in the old format of Milkshape. If this is the case open the file in Milkshape, go to Menu/Vertex/Sims2 Unimesh Show Bone Assignment 2 (or 3 or 4) v.407. This forces the vertex weighting into play. Resave the file, reconvert and this should take care of the Regiment of Invisible Men if this was the problem. I learned this when I was mucking around with the CAS to MS3D converter - :furious3: Took me ages and many wrong turns to work it out.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Hesford
04-11-2007, 18:38
Glad you liked my idea. I could start one up in the tutorials section and then monitor this thread and update the FAQ when need be if you like.

lordyu
04-12-2007, 05:58
does anyone know how I can replace weapons on unit.
ex. replacing byz infantrys sword with a spear?

Hesford
04-12-2007, 09:01
I don't think you can replace weapons.

KnightErrant
04-12-2007, 18:41
@hesford
I think that would be a great idea. Include GrumpyOldMan's
solution as well because more people are going to be doing mesh
conversions now and may run into it.

@lordyu
Switching weapons requires GrumpyOldMan's mesh conversion and
merge tool. The weapons are part of the mesh. This is a very long
wiki thread here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79414

but in the later pages after the tool was released, you'll see a lot
of examples of people doing what you want. There's a tutorial
that zxiang1983 wrote:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=28

It's the file mesh to ms3d Basic_tutorial.doc

lordyu
04-13-2007, 03:17
if you can change the weapons can yo change the shield.
Like changing byzantine spearmen shield with the lances shield

KnightErrant
04-13-2007, 05:04
@lordyu
Yes, the shields are also part of the mesh so you
can change them like you can the weapons. I didn't make
this clear before, but the converter targets Milkshape 3D
which is a 3D graphics program that allows you to edit converted
models. Not free, but only $25 which is amazing for what you
can do with it. Also you get a 30 day free trial to see if you like
it.

Hesford
04-13-2007, 08:50
Sorry, maybe you can change weapons.

Ok, I'll start a thread up now.

boy87321
04-14-2007, 01:29
hey i used both this tutorial and grumpyoldmans covertor tutorial and i did them both successfully. so now for fun i wanted to dismount templar knights and give them a sword. so i used the mesh convertor went through all the steps but when i start it up it just goes black. so i assume it is something wrong with modeldb file. here is what i have, so if someone gets the time can you just tell me what i did wrong, or if there is an easier way to dismount templar knights. i am new at this.
8 templars
1 4
52 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/templars_lod0.mesh 121
52 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/templars_lod1.mesh 900
52 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/templars_lod2.mesh 2500
52 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/templars_lod3.mesh 6400
2 12 papal_states
73 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_templar.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_normal.texture
62 unit_sprites/papal_states_dismounted_feudal_knights_sprite.spr
2 12 papal_states
65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/final_heater_papal_states_diff.texture
65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/final_heater_papal_states_norm.texture
1 4 none 14 MTW2_Swordsman 0 2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

KnightErrant
04-14-2007, 01:45
@boy87321
It's the 2 in front of your 12 papal_states. That position
is for number of faction entries and you have only one
faction. Change it to 1 12 papal_states both for the body
textures and for the attachment set textures.
See if that does the trick.

Edit: There's a formatted modeldb file available here. It's
easier to edit.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1180

boy87321
04-14-2007, 06:30
no it's still just going all black on me. this is what i got, but still nothing.
8 templars
1 4
1 12 papal_states
73 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_templar.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_normal.texture
62 unit_sprites/papal_states_dismounted_feudal_knights_sprite.spr
1 12 papal_states
1 4 none 14 MTW2_Swordsman 0 2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

i didn't use word wrap in the modeldb and i double checked and made sure there is a single space at the beginning and at the end, i just did it here so it's easier to see. i'm starting to wonder maybe it's because i used dismounted feudal knights sprites, i didn't want to use a knights templar because they are mounted. i also made a combo mesh between a knight templar and a feudal knight. but it can't be that because i did the same sort of thing in grumpyoldmans tutorial. so i don't know, maybe the textures?

Hesford
04-14-2007, 09:08
Just to tell everyone the solutions to FAQs thread is up for this tutorial, you can start looking at that to see if it has the answer to your question.

KnightErrant
04-14-2007, 19:25
@boy87321
I think I got it now, you're missing the "deadly zeros with double spaces".
Check one of the other vanilla entries in the modeldb. After the _norm.texture
file name in the attachmentsets entry you need a 0 followed by exactly
two spaces.

GrumpyOldMan
04-15-2007, 00:36
Hi

@boy87321 & KE

While I haven't got the depth of knowledge of KE I did spot this in boy87321's text entries:-

73 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_templar.texture 72

Shouldn't the highlighted number be at the start of the next line?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

boy87321
04-15-2007, 18:31
thanks knightserrant
It is seemed to of been the double spaces after the 0. but now when i go to custom battle select them and try to use the templars it will start the battle and load about quarter way then shut down. so it's gotta be my edu file?? i've checked it against my modeldb file, my eyes just arn't trained to know what i am looking for.
8 templars
1 4
1 12 papal_states
73unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_templar.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_normal.texture
45 unit_sprites/papal_states_templars_sprite.spr
1 12 papal_states
0 1 4 none 14 MTW2_Swordsman 0 2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

type Templars
dictionary Templars ; Templars
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
soldier Templars, 48, 0, 1.2
formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 3, square,
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 13, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr no
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 7, 8, 6, metal
;stat_armour_ex 7, 8, 0, 0, 8, 6, 6, metal
stat_heat 5
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_mental 11, impetuous, highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 570, 225, 90, 70, 570, 4, 140
armour_ug_levels 1
armour_ug_models Templars
ownership papal_states
era 1 papal_states
era 2 papal_states
;unit_info 13, 0, 21

is there something i missed?

KnightErrant
04-15-2007, 19:11
@GrumpyOldMan
I think this is an unformatted modeldb file so the 72 being at
the end is just from the softwrapping. The game doesn't care
about that but it sure doesn't like missing double spacesand the 0.

@boy87321
If you've got to the splash screen your modeldb file is ok so
you're right, it's the EDU. Case sensitivity is my guess, you've
got templars in the modeldb as the unit name but your EDU
has a dictionary entry of Templars. Try changing the modeldb
model name to Templars (only one entry to change).

If you've enabled logging, your log file should be complaining about
a missing database entry.

jstavcr
04-15-2007, 22:41
Excellent tutorial.I still have a problem though....
This is what I tried yo do:
I want to add a heavy spear unit to the byzantines.Meaning, spearmen with the body and shield and texture of the dismounted byzantine lancers.So I downloaded a mesh editor to give the lancers a spear instead of a sword.Did that, naming the new model gr_heavy_spearmen.And, this is how the battle_models file looks like:

17 gr_heavy_spearmen
1 4
66 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_lod0.mesh 121
66 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_lod1.mesh 900
66 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_lod2.mesh 2500
66 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_lod3.mesh 6400
9 byzantium
82 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_byzantium_L.texture
79 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_normal_L.texture
52 unit_sprites/byzantium_Byzantine_Infantry_sprite.spr
9 byzantium
60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Kite_byzantium_diff.texture
60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Kite_byzantium_norm.texture 0
4 None
10 MTW2_Spear 0
18 MTW2_Spear_primary
14 fs_test_shield 0
21 gr_heavy_spearmen_ug1
1 3
70 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_ug1_lod0.mesh 121
70 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_ug1_lod1.mesh 1225
70 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_ug1_lod2.mesh 6400
9 byzantium
82 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_byzantium_C.texture
79 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_normal_C.texture
56 unit_sprites/byzantium_Byzantine_Infantry_ug1_sprite.spr
9 byzantium
4 None
10 MTW2_Spear 0
18 MTW2_Spear_primary
14 fs_test_shield 0
21 gr_heavy_spearmen_ug2
1 3
70 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_ug2_lod0.mesh 121
70 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_ug2_lod1.mesh 1225
70 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_ug2_lod2.mesh 6400
9 byzantium
83 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_byzantium_CP.texture
80 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_normal_CP.texture
66 unit_sprites/byzantium_Dismounted_Byzantine_Lancers_ug2_sprite.spr
9 byzantium
4 None
10 MTW2_Spear 0
18 MTW2_Spear_primary
14 fs_test_shield 0
21 gr_heavy_spearmen__ug3
1 3
70 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_ug3_lod0.mesh 121
70 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_ug3_lod1.mesh 1225
70 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/gr_heavy_spearmen_ug3_lod2.mesh 6400
9 byzantium
82 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_byzantium_P.texture
79 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_normal_P.texture
66 unit_sprites/byzantium_Dismounted_Byzantine_Lancers_ug3_sprite.spr
9 byzantium
4 None
10 MTW2_Spear 0
18 MTW2_Spear_primary
14 fs_test_shield 0

something must be wrong....the game works if I use another soldier in the EDU file, so the problem must be here.Can anyone help?

jstavcr
04-16-2007, 21:40
Turns out I'd used the kite shield texture instead of the triangular shield of the spearmen....I had to do the mesh editing from the beginning, I finally added heavy spearmen to the Byzantines.

lordyu
04-17-2007, 02:20
could you share and if you have pictures show. if you could make if avalible for download .

Lord_XXX
04-17-2007, 10:03
my mounted janissary musketeers as you say "so easy to do" im newbie and excites me mod the units xD, follow the love for guns xD:smash:

https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2331/mountedjanissaryay4.th.jpg (https://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mountedjanissaryay4.jpg)

jstavcr
04-17-2007, 15:52
Hmmm....how do I post images?

sephirothno12000
04-18-2007, 14:36
Bravo! As soon as I finish upgrading my cpu to finally run the game, I shall be adding many a unit to my beloved HRE.

Malachus
04-20-2007, 17:29
Alrighty guys, I need some help here. Upon loading the game, it keeps crashing during the splash screen, giving me an error:

12:18:16.250 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 14770, column 2
Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'norman_spearmen'.

12:18:16.250 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file data/export_descr_unit.txt.

Essentially, I'm trying to create a Norman Knight that uses the spear instead of a sword. Using, GOM's mesh converter, I edited the druzhina model to use a spear and have a kite shield slung across its back.

Here's what I have in my modelsdb file (note that I'm using different animations. I want these guys to fight with the spear using both hands and, although not perfect, this is the most realistic-looking animation I could find from what we have so far).

15 norman_spearmen
1 4
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norman_spearmen_lod0.mesh 121
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norman_spearmen_lod1.mesh 900
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norman_spearmen_lod2.mesh 2500
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norman_spearmen_lod3.mesh 6400
6 sicily
72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/en_lmail_hmail_sicily.texture
72 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/en_lmail_hmail_normal.texture
52 unit_sprites/sicily_Dummy_EN_Spearmen_ug3_sprite.spr
6 sicily
4 None
16 MTW2_2HSwordsman 0
19 MTW2_2H_Axe_primary 0

Here's what I have in my EDU

type norman spearmen
dictionary norman_spearmen ; Norman Spearmen
category infantry
class spearmen
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
soldier norman_spearmen, 60, 0, 1.2
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 8, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 0.6
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr spear, spear_bonus_8
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 8, 6, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 5, 7, 0, 0, 3, 6, 6, metal
stat_heat 4
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_mental 5, normal, highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 20
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 570, 155, 85, 65, 540, 4, 130
armour_ug_levels 3
armour_ug_models norman_spearmen
ownership sicily
era 0 sicily
;unit_info 7, 0, 14

The modelsdb file is up-to-date with regards to the first line number of models in the file and as far as I can tell, everything is correct with regards to the counts and spaces. I just can't tell where the breakdown between that file and the EDU is coming from...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Malachus

GrumpyOldMan
04-21-2007, 00:22
Hi Malachus

12:18:16.250 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 14770, column 2
Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'norman_spearmen'.

12:18:16.250 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file data/export_descr_unit.txt.

59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norman_spearmen_lod0.mesh 121
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norman_spearmen_lod1.mesh 900
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norman_spearmen_lod2.mesh 2500
59 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/norman_spearmen_lod3.mesh 6400

Check you've got the four files in the right folder, also check case on names, etc.

4 None
16 MTW2_2HSwordsman 0
19 MTW2_2H_Axe_primary 0

You've given him a secondary animation sequence although he doesn't have a secondary weapon, not sure if this will throw a spanner in the works.

armour_ug_levels 3
armour_ug_models norman_spearmen

You've got 3 upgade levels but only one upgrade model, again not sure if this will make things fall over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Malachus

I'm not an expert on text entries but this is what I can see.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

KnightErrant
04-21-2007, 02:25
@Malachus

Also, this looks like it's missing a faction count for the attachment sets:

6 sicily
6 sicily

Should be:

6 sicily
6 sicily

Malachus
04-21-2007, 03:14
Hmm... thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same problem. I was able to successfully put these guys into the game by essentially replacing the dismounted druzhina unit. I don't know why, but the game is only reading the vanilla unit models names/references, not my own. So frustrating :furious3:

Anyway, here are a couple of pics so you can have an idea of what I'm trying to do...

https://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=normanspearmenaj5.jpg

https://img83.imageshack.us/my.php?image=normanspearmen2uw1.jpg

https://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=normanspearmen3ic6.jpg

Eng
04-22-2007, 16:48
is it possibale to make mussketerss that fire napthta bombs? (naffatun boiling pots)

Lord_XXX
04-23-2007, 19:33
is it possibale to make mussketerss that fire napthta bombs? (naffatun boiling pots)

In export_descr_unit look for Naffatun entry and in soldier erase "Naffatun" and write Musketeers or Arquebusiers and have fun xD:smash:

Eng
04-24-2007, 09:12
In export_descr_unit look for Naffatun entry and in soldier erase "Naffatun" and write Musketeers or Arquebusiers and have fun xD:smash:

that will just make there name to be mussketters no?
I mean will they have muskets and shoot naptha bombs??

Lord_XXX
04-25-2007, 19:31
that will just make there name to be mussketters no?
I mean will they have muskets and shoot naptha bombs??

No, doing this , the soldiers shoot like musketeers but the bullets are the naptha bombs, try do this i did and looks funny, but for do this maybe need edit the mesh files o maybe dont work, but works in the way that i say, have you unpacked your files? check the file and do that and have fun

Miloshus
04-30-2007, 09:43
How can I ; for example give dismounted feudal knights sword to spear militia?
How can I make an unit that uses only secundary weapon I tried with cossack musketeers, but they were holding and fighting with muskets instead of swords (It was really confusing)?

Little Legioner
05-12-2007, 09:10
Hi mates,

I made several changes for my Moorish Dismounted Christian Guards. Byzantiums Latinkons were looking way better than Christians then i decided make my Christians like Latinkons.

First of all i made some change in export_unit file for armor upgrades. After then i moved to battle unit file to set complete touches for my beloved Christians.

After some research, implement, coding and test period voila! My beatiful Christian Guards were in their new Norman fashion! and also armor upgrades were ok! Victory! i made it but i had still some strange problems with them. This was very frustrating for me. Anyway,

In my coding period i used Latinkon meshes for my Christians. Texture was same old Christian texture. It worked fine. Finally i've had a Norman looking Christian guards ( mounted and dismounted ) but problem was their attachments.

I could not able to attach them Moorish arms and armor. When i've entered code their script with byzantine attachment set i worked fine but when i've tried to replace attachment set ( i've tried Urban Militia set ) i've failed.

Is there anybody had an idea about my problem.

Maybe there was a conflict between Latinkon mesh and Moorish Attachments?

I dont know why.

Please guys, i need your preciouss advices.

hydraxxx
05-26-2007, 16:35
HI, ive done exactly the same processes as you said, i've even created the sprites etc. However, once i start a custom battle with my unit it loads then momentarily crashes to desktop.

here is .modeldb layed out in a ordered format for u to see better ;)

11 GR_Dragoons
1 4
53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod0.mesh 121
53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod1.mesh 900
53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod2.mesh 2500
53 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_lod3.mesh 6400
9 byzantium
79 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_byzantium.texture
76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture
41 unit_sprites/byzantium_Reiters_sprite.spr
9 byzantium
65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_diff.texture
65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_norm.texture 0
5 Horse
14 MTW2_HR_Pistol
13 MTW2_HR_Spear 1
22 MTW2_HR_Pistol_Primary 1
21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary
15 GR_Dragoons_ug1
1 4
57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod0.mesh 121
57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod1.mesh 900
57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod2.mesh 2500
57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/reiters_ug1_lod3.mesh 6400
9 byzantium
79 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_byzantium.texture
45 unit_sprites/byzantium_Reiters_ug1_sprite.spr
9 byzantium
65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_diff.texture
65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_hre_norm.texture 0
5 Horse
14 MTW2_HR_Pistol
13 MTW2_HR_Spear 1
22 MTW2_HR_Pistol_Primary 1
21 MTW2_HR_spear_Primary

Anardil
05-29-2007, 09:49
*sigh* having some problems with textures here. I'm attempting to give hungary dismounted gothic knights, and everything seems to work except the units have no texture, ie they are completely silver. Here's my modeldb entry:

25 dismounted_gothic_knights
1 4
73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod0.mesh 121
73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod1.mesh 900
73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod2.mesh 2500
73 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/dismounted_gothic_knights_lod3.mesh 6400
3 hre
77 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_hre.texture
80 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_normal.texture
53 unit_sprites/hre_Dismounted_Gothic_Knights_sprite.spr
7 hungary
81 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_hungary.texture
80 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_normal.texture
57 unit_sprites/hungary_Dismounted_Gothic_Knights_sprite.spr
3 hre
56 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hre_diff.texture
56 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hre_norm.texture 0
7 hungary
60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hungary_diff.texture
60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hungary_norm.texture 0
4 None
21 MTW2_Slow_2HSwordsman 0
24 MTW2_2HSwordsman_Primary 0

Any help is appreciated.

supadodo
05-30-2007, 07:56
Hey I am new to this modding thing so I'm kinda trying hard to get things working by reading the threads and tutorials.

So I'm trying to put Landskneckt Pikeman for the HRE(they are actually a merc unit)

First try, without editing th modelDB file, I get it to work but I get silver surfers with sticks and the icon card is a peasant though info is all good.

So I tried changing the code in modelDB to try and put in textures.

This is the code:

kt_pikemen_lod0.mesh 121 64 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/landschneckt_pikemen_lod1.mesh 900 64 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/landschneckt_pikemen_lod2.mesh 2500 64 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/landschneckt_pikemen_lod3.mesh 6400 2 4 merc 71 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_merc.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 49 unit_sprites/merc_Landschneckt_Pikemen_sprite.spr 2 3 hre 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_merc_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_merc_norm.texture 0 1 3 None 9 MTW2_Pike 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

It just gives me a blank screen when I start Med2. I tried searching around this thread for any clue but none worked. Plus I dunno if I had put the landsknecht textures into the hre folder. Can someone please tell me how?
Okay thx.

Anardil
05-30-2007, 20:32
Your problem has to do with the number of factions you're trying to load textures for. With the body textures, you're telling the program to load two texture sets, but you only have the code for the mercenary textures. Likewise for the attachment sets - you tell it to read in 2 sets, but only have code for the HRE textures. Assuming you want to keep the pikemen as a mercenary unit as well, it should read like this:

20 landschneckt_pikemen
1 4
64 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/landschneckt_pikemen_lod0.mesh 121
64 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/landschneckt_pikemen_lod1.mesh 900
64 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/landschneckt_pikemen_lod2.mesh 2500
64 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/landschneckt_pikemen_lod3.mesh 6400
4 merc
71 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_mercs.texture
72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture
49 unit_sprites/merc_Landschneckt_Pikemen_sprite.spr
3 hre
69 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_hre.texture
72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture
49 unit_sprites/merc_Landschneckt_Pikemen_sprite.spr
4 merc
3 hre
64 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_hre_diff.texture
64 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_hre_norm.texture 0
4 None
9 MTW2_Pike
15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1
17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1
18 MTW2_Sword_Primary

Hope there's no typos...can't edit :no:

Oh...and as for my post, it wasn't a problem with the contents of the modeldb file, it was the location. I've since fixed it.

elbasto
06-01-2007, 00:40
Hi there.

A small question. What if I only want to enlarge the ownership of a certain unit, for instance, allowing everyone to train Musketeers or Organ Guns...

It is all this still necessary?

I've been trying to make Janissaries trainable for the Byzantines in every period but I've failed!

Sir Robin the Brave
06-09-2007, 15:08
you will need to find the relevent code of the units in the modeldb file, and add in the factions, and their textures. Then you will need to edit the buildings text document (sorry the name has escaped me) so that you can train them...I think this is all, feel free to correct me someone :)

Baxter
06-11-2007, 08:40
I could use some help here this is getting on my nerves. So i'm creating units for my up and coming hre campaign. So far so good I can see all the units UNTIL I upgrade there armor. For Example I have Noble pikemen models for one of my units the appear until I upgrade armor then suddenly there ghosts...not the silver outlines of the models..ghosts as in I can't see the unit at all. Can anyone help?

14 hessen_pikemen
1 3
58 unit_models/_Units/EN_Pplate_Plate/noble_pikemen_lod0.mesh 121
58 unit_models/_Units/EN_Pplate_Plate/noble_pikemen_lod1.mesh 1225
58 unit_models/_Units/EN_Pplate_Plate/noble_pikemen_lod2.mesh 6400
3 hre
70 unit_models/_Units/EN_Pplate_Plate/textures/mtw2_EN_Pplate_hre.texture
73 unit_models/_Units/EN_Pplate_Plate/textures/mtw2_EN_Pplate_normal.texture
41 unit_sprites/hre_Noble_Pikemen_sprite.spr
3 hre
68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Special Heads_scotland_diff.texture
68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Special Heads_scotland_norm.texture 0
4 None
14 MTW2_Slow_Pike
15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1
17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1
18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
17 noble_pikemen_ug1
1 3
62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Pplate_Plate/noble_pikemen_ug1_lod0.mesh 121
62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Pplate_Plate/noble_pikemen_ug1_lod1.mesh 1225
62 unit_models/_Units/EN_Pplate_Plate/noble_pikemen_ug1_lod2.mesh 6400
3 hre
70 unit_models/_Units/EN_Pplate_Plate/textures/mtw2_EN_Pplate_hre.texture
73 unit_models/_Units/EN_Pplate_Plate/textures/mtw2_EN_Pplate_normal.texture
45 unit_sprites/hre_Noble_Pikemen_ug1_sprite.spr
3 hre
68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Special Heads_scotland_diff.texture
68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Special Heads_scotland_norm.texture 0
4 None
14 MTW2_Slow_Pike
15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1
17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1
18 MTW2_Sword_Primary

JoeDreck
06-11-2007, 20:51
hi,

i have a problem to make a new unit. every time is something wrong and i explode. :furious3:
i would like to make an officer based on the "crossbowmen"

type Crossbowmen
dictionary Crossbowmen ; Crossbowmen
category infantry
class missile
voice_type Light
banner holy crusade
soldier Crossbowmen, 48, 0, 0.8
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, crossbow
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 9, 1, crossbow_bolt, 120, 30, missile, missile_mechanical, piercing, none, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap
stat_sec 6, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 5, 3, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 5, 7, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, metal
stat_heat 4
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_mental 3, normal, trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 18
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 330, 125, 65, 50, 330, 4, 80
armour_ug_levels 2, 3
armour_ug_models Crossbowmen, Crossbowmen_ug1
ownership france, denmark, hungary, slave
era 1 france, denmark, hungary
era 2 france, denmark, hungary
;unit_info 6, 9, 8
the primery weapon is sword and he have not a shield. he should be for all european factions.

i hope an expert here can help me. :inquisitive:

-Amon-
06-21-2007, 00:16
Hail to KnightErrant, Musashi,GrumpyOldManand everyone..

Yes,I returned (yeah,you should call this Return of the Jedi:sweatdrop: )

Anyway,I want to create Irish Gallowglasses based on Forlorn hope( no,only textures,not strenght :yes: )

here is EDU entry :
type Irish Gallowglasses
dictionary Irish_Gallowglasses ; Irish Gallowglasses
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
soldier Irish_Gallowglasses, 48, 0, 1.2
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, free_upkeep_unit
formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 2, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 16, 9, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, sword, 25, 1.5
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 5, 9, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 5, 6, 0, 0, 9, 0, 0, metal
stat_heat 7
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 4
stat_mental 11, low, untrained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 720, 250, 35, 205, 720, 4, 210
armour_ug_levels 3, 4
armour_ug_models Irish_Gallowglasses, Irish_Gallowglasses_ug1
ownership scotland
era 0 scotland
era 1 scotland
era 2 scotland
;unit_info 18, 0, 28

And battlemodel.db entry :

19 Irish_Gallowglasses
1 4
58 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/forlorn_hope_lod0.mesh 121
58 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/forlorn_hope_lod1.mesh 900
58 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/forlorn_hope_lod2.mesh 2500
58 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/forlorn_hope_lod3.mesh 6400
8 scotland
78 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_scotland.texture
45 unit_sprites/scotland_Forlorn_Hope_sprite.spr
8 scotland
56 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hre_diff.texture
56 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_hre_norm.texture 0
4 None
16 MTW2_2HSwordsman 0
23 Irish_Gallowglasses_ug1
1 4
62 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/forlorn_hope_ug1_lod0.mesh 121
62 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/forlorn_hope_ug1_lod1.mesh 900
62 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/forlorn_hope_ug1_lod2.mesh 2500
62 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/forlorn_hope_ug1_lod3.mesh 6400
8 scotland
78 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_scotland.texture
49 unit_sprites/scotland_Forlorn_Hope_ug1_sprite.spr
8 scotland
61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_scotland_diff.texture
61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater_scotland_norm.texture 0
4 None
16 MTW2_2HSwordsman 0

When I run LTC.exe (I edited LTC EDU file anyway),game screen comes and CTD..

system.log says that :
02:04:10.843 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
02:04:10.843 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Apr 23 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2-84 (37970) ===
02:04:10.859 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
02:04:10.859 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
02:04:10.859 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
02:04:10.859 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
02:04:10.859 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
02:04:10.859 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
02:04:10.859 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/menu_english.txt.strings.bin is missing
02:04:10.859 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/menu_english.txt is missing
02:04:10.875 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/expanded.txt.strings.bin is missing
02:04:10.875 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/expanded.txt is missing
02:04:10.875 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/diplomacy.txt.strings.bin is missing
02:04:10.875 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/diplomacy.txt is missing
02:04:10.875 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt.strings.bin is missing
02:04:10.875 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt is missing
02:04:10.875 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/missions.txt.strings.bin is missing
02:04:10.875 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/missions.txt is missing
02:04:10.875 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/shortcut.txt.strings.bin is missing
02:04:10.890 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/shortcut.txt is missing
02:04:12.609 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
02:04:12.609 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
02:04:12.609 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
02:04:12.625 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
02:04:12.640 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
02:04:12.937 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/religions.txt.strings.bin is missing
02:04:12.937 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/religions.txt is missing
02:04:12.937 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/climates.txt.strings.bin is missing
02:04:12.937 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/climates.txt is missing
02:04:12.984 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/event_titles.txt.strings.bin is missing
02:04:12.984 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/event_titles.txt is missing
02:04:12.984 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/event_strings.txt.strings.bin is missing
02:04:13.000 [system.io] [warning] open: landstoconquer/data/text/event_strings.txt is missing
02:04:13.546 [script.err] [error] Script Error in landstoconquer/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 14739, column 1
Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'Irish_Gallowglasses'.

02:04:13.546 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file landstoconquer/data/export_descr_unit.txt.

I'm trying for 4 hours,I made a fresh install,too..If get another error,I'm going to throw my pc from windows..

Appreciating for ANY help

-Amon-
06-21-2007, 14:25
Help? Anyone??

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

:wall:

:whip:

:smash:
:inquisitive:

HighLord z0b
07-06-2007, 06:54
Does anyone know if it's possible to create a new unit that changes weapons from two handed axe to sword and shield?

Zeno[IMMORTALS]
07-08-2007, 22:39
Hey this is a great thread and I can mod units but I do have one problem. Some units use an alpha channel, I think thats what its called. Its an extra texture that looks all rainbowie.

Now I can make my unit the way I want but unless I can make that other rainbow texture my unit will not look right. I use photoshop to do all my textures so does anyone that uses photoshop know how to make that extra rainbow alpha channel texture so my unit looks proper?

apreciate the help

allos_autos
07-31-2007, 01:31
The problem is in your EDU.

[QUOTE=-Amon-]
here is EDU entry :
type Irish Gallowglasses
dictionary Irish_Gallowglasses ; Irish Gallowglasses
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
soldier Irish_Gallowglasses, 48, 0, 1.2
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, free_upkeep_unit
formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 2, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 16, 9, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, slashing, sword, 25, 1.5
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 5, 9, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 5, 6, 0, 0, 9, 0, 0, metal
stat_heat 7
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 4
stat_mental 11, low, untrained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 720, 250, 35, 205, 720, 4, 210
armour_ug_levels 3, 4
armour_ug_models Irish_Gallowglasses, Irish_Gallowglasses_ug1
ownership scotland
era 0 scotland
era 1 scotland
era 2 scotland
;unit_info 18, 0, 28

Under "soldier" you have Irish_Gallowglasses. The soldier value is the set of animations that it is going to use. Since you are not making new animations, this has to be set to an existing animation. I would find a similar unit and put its name in there, such as Dismounted_Feudal_Knights if it is single handed sword, Zweihander if it is a two handed sword. I'm not sure if you have any other problems, but this is the fix for the one you posted.

Abokasee
08-08-2007, 20:40
-------

Gonna put this in my next post

Abokasee
08-09-2007, 11:32
any help? I can't seem to get any models whitch I add working

Im trying to add byzantium pikemen, the meshes are based off the byzantine infantry and there attachments based off scotish heavy pike militia, and there stats edited from the scotish, When I run my .bat I keep getting CTD so can some one fix this please

14 byzant_pikemen 1 4 68 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_lod0.mesh 121 68 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_lod1.mesh 900 68 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_lod2.mesh 2500 68 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_lod3.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 80 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_byzantium.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_normal.texture 52 unit_sprites/byzantium_Byzantine_Infantry_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Greek_byzantium_diff.texture 61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Greek_byzantium_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 14 MTW2_Slow_Pike 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 18 byzant_pikemen_ug1 1 3 72 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_ug1_lod0.mesh 121 72 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_ug1_lod1.mesh 1225 72 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/byzantine_infantry_ug1_lod2.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 80 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_byzantium.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/ES_Greek_Greek_Heavy/textures/mtw2_es_greek_normal.texture 56 unit_sprites/byzantium_Byzantine_Infantry_ug1_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Greek_byzantium_diff.texture 61 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Greek_byzantium_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 14 MTW2_Slow_Pike 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

thats the modeldb folder and this is there export_descr_unit stats:

type Byzantine Pikemen
dictionary Byzantine_Pikemen ; Byzantine Pikemen
category infantry
class spearmen
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
soldier byzant_pikemen, 60, 0, 1.2
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_withdraw, pike
formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 8, square, phalanx
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 16, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr spear, long_pike, spear_bonus_8
stat_sec 10, 2, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 7, 3, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 8, 9, 0, 0, 3, 0, 0, metal
stat_heat 6
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_charge_dist 40
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 410, 185, 85, 65, 410, 4, 100
armour_ug_levels 4,5
armour_ug_models byzant_pikemen, byzant_pikemen_ug1
ownership byzantium
era 0 byzantium
era 1 byzantium
era 2 byzantium
;unit_info 9, 0, 11

Abokasee
08-10-2007, 07:53
:help: I can't get ANY other models whitch I had visible!, not even a simple changing of the attachments (So like changing spears to swords)

mor dan
08-15-2007, 16:59
soldier byzant_pikemen, 60, 0, 1.2
armour_ug_models byzant_pikemen, byzant_pikemen_ug1

capitalize Byzant_Pikemen

make your modeldb code instances that include:

0 1 4 None

have TWO spaces between the 0 and the 1

please also show your export_units.txt entry for the new unit.

*edit*

oh yeah, and you should try these additions in step by step procedures so you have a better idea where a mistake occurred. i would basically restore everything to default and start just by adding the export_desrc_unit.txt info and seeing if the game launches. start without the UG1 entry for upgradable armour. be patient. when you do too much at once you have to look everywhere to find the problem instead of just the last step you took...

*edit2*

one last thing, when pasting code in to the forums, use the # icon to create coding tags around it so we can be sure your spacings are correct... and because it's hard to read when they aren't = )

Red Spot
08-20-2007, 12:04
Musashi, great tut.!!

I've gone from being utterly intimidated by the battle_models file to feeling pretty confident altering it thanks to your tut.

Thanks!

G

ps; for the "having trouble" modders, set your file up properly so you can read it, makes a huge diff.

let my explain with an example

the entry for the basic(non-upgraded) Aventurier;

10 aventurier 1 4 56 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/aventurier_lod0.mesh 121 56 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/aventurier_lod1.mesh 900 56 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/aventurier_lod2.mesh 2500 56 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/aventurier_lod3.mesh 6400 1 6 france 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_france.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 41 unit_sprites/france_Aventurier_sprite.spr 1 6 france 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 18 MTW2_Fast_Crossbow 20 MTW2_Non_Shield_Fast 1 21 MTW2_Crossbow_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

the way I work with it;

10 aventurier
1 4
56 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/aventurier_lod0.mesh 121
56 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/aventurier_lod1.mesh 900
56 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/aventurier_lod2.mesh 2500
56 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/aventurier_lod3.mesh 6400
6 france
76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_france.texture
41 unit_sprites/france_Aventurier_sprite.spr
6 france
68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_france_diff.texture
68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European CB Gun_france_norm.texture 0
1 4 None
18 MTW2_Fast_Crossbow
20 MTW2_Non_Shield_Fast 1
21 MTW2_Crossbow_Primary 1
18 MTW2_Sword_Primary

Mr Frost
08-20-2007, 18:34
I'm getting the invisible men also .
Created a Saracen Militia clone for the Moors {called City Guardsmen} ... invisible .
Added the Moors to the factions that have ME Halbred Militia ... invisible .

The export_descr_unit.txt file being modded is in the MyMod folder , which shouldn't make a difference .
I've tried first with the origonal battle_models.modeldb and then replaced it with the formatted version to no avail .
I tried moving the battle_models.modeldb entry from before the urban_militia entry to after the saracen_infantry entry {you never know} to no avail .
Tried changing this and that .
Tried swearing .

All other {vanilla} units work perfectly , modded export_descr_unit.txt stat units included , but it seems I cant modify the battle_models.modeldb in any meaningful way .
The invisible units still move , kill and die like normal .

I havn't touched anything with Milkshape given I don't have that program .

I've checked the entries till my eyes hurt {been at it for 8 to 10 hours now ... I'm stubborn} , I really don't think it is any syntax error or such . I'm wondering if it is either a video card setting or somthing not quite right with the install {thus wrong in the .exe itself} .

I'll try reinstalling the game :furious3: and see if that works .

Mr Frost
08-21-2007, 07:47
I'm getting the invisible men also ... I'm wondering if it is either a video card setting or somthing not quite right with the install {thus wrong in the .exe itself} .

I'll try reinstalling the game :furious3: and see if that works .
As a quick note , there certainly is something wrong with my install of MTW2 as when I try to uninstall from the game from the origonal console "uninstall" button , it tells me it wants to install the vanilla game and that I must uninstall the patched {1.02} first .
Also , it doesn't even appear on my Start/All Programs menu either .

Now for the anoying manual uninstall , regedit , reinstall , patch , reinstall of mymod , remoding , GAH ! :wall:

This had better work :furious3:

Mr Frost
08-21-2007, 11:50
Figured it out .

Seems it was simply a matter of putting --io.file_first in the mymod.bat as well as the command line of the shortcut pointing at it .

Sodding GAH !:wall:

Curse Bill Gates , and all Halflings !:smash:

At least I seem to have solved the mystery of the invisible no Milkshape units !

I'll say it again incase someone missed it ...

I have solved the mystery of invisible units that have never seen nor heard of this thing you
call Milkshape !!!!!!11!1ooohheisbig1!1111!!!!!one

You may now send me gifts and pretty virgins .

confused Don
09-16-2007, 21:12
Ok i was i could put up Scrshot 4 but i dont kno how to (leave me alone! my computer is retarded) neways ok guys i tried to create a unit for venice that has dismounted broken lances' armour with obushaer halberd as far as i kno i did everything right in export_descr_units...
type Imperial Halberdiers
dictionary Imperial_Halberdiers ; Imperial Halberdiers
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
soldier Imperial_Halberdiers, 48, 0, 1.2
formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 3, phalanx, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 10, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, axe, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_attr ap, long_pike, spear_bonus_4
stat_sec 10, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, axe, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec_attr ap, spear_bonus_4
stat_pri_armour 9, 5, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 19, 10, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0, metal
stat_heat 6
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 1000, 180, 90, 70, 720, 4, 180
armour_ug_levels 6
armour_ug_models Imperial_halberdiers
ownership venice
era 2 venice
;unit_info 12, 0, 14

and model db

20 imperial_halberdiers
68 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/imperial_halberdiers_lod0.mesh 121
68 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/imperial_halberdiers_lod1.mesh 900
68 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/imperial_halberdiers_lod2.mesh 2500
68 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/imperial_halberdiers_lod3.mesh 6400
6 venice
80 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_venice.texture
57 unit_sprites/venice_Dismounted_Italian_MAA_ug2_sprite.spr
6 venice
60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Italian_venice_diff.texture
60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Italian_venice_norm.texture
4 None
20 MTW2_Halberd_Primary
22 MTW2_Halberd_Secondary
17 MTW2_Pike_primary
17 MTW2_Pike_primary

but my problem is that my guys appear as mostly just a floating breastplate (some have lik the limbs with no helmet) and a floating halberdier just to say the limbs r not green they r invisible & they are standing in the cross position if u kno wat i mean wit thier arms out and feet straight down PLEASE HELP ME!!!!:sweatdrop:

confused Don
09-16-2007, 21:18
ok aparently im stupid so here is my export_descr_unit

type Imperial Halberdiers
dictionary Imperial_Halberdiers ; Imperial Halberdiers
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
soldier Imperial_Halberdiers, 48, 0, 1.2
formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 3, phalanx, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 10, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, axe, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec 10, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, axe, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_armour 9, 5, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 19, 10, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0, metal
stat_heat 6
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 1000, 180, 90, 70, 720, 4, 180
armour_ug_levels 6
armour_ug_models Imperial_halberdiers
ownership venice
era 2 venice
;unit_info 12, 0, 14

and here is my model db

20 imperial_halberdiers
68 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/imperial_halberdiers_lod0.mesh 121
68 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/imperial_halberdiers_lod1.mesh 900
68 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/imperial_halberdiers_lod2.mesh 2500
68 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/imperial_halberdiers_lod3.mesh 6400
6 venice
80 unit_models/_Units/LN_Gothic_RN_Plate/textures/LN_gothic_RN_plate_venice.texture
57 unit_sprites/venice_Dismounted_Italian_MAA_ug2_sprite.spr
6 venice
60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Italian_venice_diff.texture
60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Italian_venice_norm.texture
4 None
20 MTW2_Halberd_Primary
17 MTW2_Pike_primary
17 MTW2_Pike_primary

confused Don
09-19-2007, 21:42
umm plz help!

Chipp
09-23-2007, 16:59
Hey, I noticed that in your picture, the units are still using pistols, instead of the gun that the camel gunners use. Is there an easy way to change from pistol to musket?

Cuauhtemoc
10-08-2007, 03:49
hi i new,i have a problem i download cloud across europe and i want add a unit called "dismounted mailed knights" but is invisible in battle map, i added the same unit to mtw2 vanilla game and its works but in cae not, can somebody help me? :help:

sorry for the bad english

Lord_XXX
10-14-2007, 07:13
my mounted janissary musketeers as you say "so easy to do" im newbie and excites me mod the units xD, follow the love for guns xD:smash:

https://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2331/mountedjanissaryay4.th.jpg (https://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mountedjanissaryay4.jpg)

Another little unit modification, :sweatdrop: my "Granaderos" or in english grenadier, this spanish soldier using a modified handgun shooting exploding shoots :smash:

https://img100.imageshack.us/img100/9185/granaderosfk8.th.jpg (https://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=granaderosfk8.jpg)

Here some apachean flying around :laugh4:

https://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5642/granaderos2rv6.th.jpg (https://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=granaderos2rv6.jpg)
Englishmen receiving a spanish gift :laugh4:

https://img513.imageshack.us/img513/2647/granaderos3cf9.th.jpg (https://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=granaderos3cf9.jpg)

some flying englishmen, enjoy! love for gunpowder weapons :smash:

Scriss
10-16-2007, 08:09
Argh, somebody help! I've followed this tutorial through some 6-7 times and have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've even tried using another mod as a base for my attempts, but although the editing is easier, something's still broken. It's definitely something I'm doing wrong because everything works perfectly until I (apparently) edit the battle_models.modeldb file.

Basically, the game crashes on startup. I'm modding the Kingdoms Crusaders expansion. Here's the sysem.log:

03:05:20.000 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
03:05:20.000 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Aug 3 2007 version bld-medieval2-kingdoms-104 (45562) ===
03:05:20.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
03:05:20.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
03:05:20.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
03:05:20.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
03:05:20.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
03:05:20.015 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
03:05:20.031 [system.io] [always] mounted pack mods/crusades/packs/data.pack
03:05:20.031 [system.io] [always] mounted pack mods/crusades/packs/localized.pack
03:05:20.046 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt.strings.bin is missing
03:05:20.046 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/text/diplomacy_speech.txt is missing
03:05:20.062 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/text/shortcut.txt.strings.bin is missing
03:05:20.062 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/text/shortcut.txt is missing
03:05:21.937 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
03:05:21.953 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
03:05:21.953 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
03:05:21.984 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
03:05:21.984 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
03:05:22.000 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
03:05:22.296 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/text/religions.txt.strings.bin is missing
03:05:22.312 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/text/religions.txt is missing
03:05:22.312 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/text/climates.txt.strings.bin is missing
03:05:22.312 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/crusades/data/text/climates.txt is missing
03:05:23.187 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/crusades/data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 17115, column 30
Could not find soldier battle model for unit type 'Dismounted_Knights_of_Edessa'.

03:05:23.187 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file mods/crusades/data/export_descr_unit.txt.
Here's the battle_models entry:

21 hospitaller_voulgiers
52 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/voulgier_lod0.mesh 121
52 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/voulgier_lod1.mesh 900
52 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/voulgier_lod2.mesh 2500
52 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/voulgier_lod3.mesh 6400
7 antioch
78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_hospitallerD.texture
82 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/EN_Lmail_Hmail_crusaderD_normal.texture
56 unit_sprites/antioch_Hospitaller_Sergeant_ug1_sprite.spr
7 antioch
68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater Special_antioch_diff.texture
68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Heater Special_antioch_norm.texture
4 None
20 MTW2_Halberd_Primary
17 MTW2_Pike_primary
17 MTW2_Pike_primary
Here's the export_descr_unit entry:

type Hospitaller Voulgiers
dictionary Hospitaller_Voulgiers ; Hospitaller Voulgiers
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Heavy
banner holy crusade
soldier Hospitaller_Voulgiers, 48, 0, 1.2
formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, phalanx, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 8, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, axe, 25, 1
;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_sec 9, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, axe, 25, 1
;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0
stat_pri_armour 3, 7, 0, metal
;stat_armour_ex 3, 5, 6, 0, 7, 0, 0, metal
stat_heat 6
stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 4
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 580, 150, 50, 115, 580, 4, 170
armour_ug_levels 3
armour_ug_models Voulgier
ownership antioch
;unit_info 8, 0, 10
recruit_priority_offset 0
I'm quite new to modding M2TW so I'm not sure if this is enough information. Please tell me if you need anything else to figure out what's wrong. I'm really frustrated because this has defied me over and over again and I can't understand why :no:

Thanks for anything you guys can offer.

Scriss
10-16-2007, 08:43
Um okay, firstly where is the edit button so I can edit my posts?

Aaand secondly... I resolved the above situation and the game works fine, but now I have several more questions and problems...

The textures on the unit and the unit card are broken:
http://www.maj.com/gallery/Zulag/Screenshots/voul.jpg
How can I fix this? I'm not too hot with textures. Will I have to edit the model for this?

And finally, how do I enable the new units in custom battle?

Thanks in advance.

kungfuserge
11-02-2007, 11:02
I need to add an officer to a new unit :
So I have created US Dragoon (Us Cavalry) + one officer that look "US" , I am trying to add this Unit into The Spanish faction (because I still wan't to be able to play the original also) so they should have each a different looking officer .
The Dragoon spanish should remain with it's own officer, How do I add my new officer to my new unit
http://images2.hiboox.com/vignettes/4407/90kpy3lf.jpg (http://www.hiboox.com/lang-fr/image.php?img=90kpy3lf.jpg)
thanks