PDA

View Full Version : How Things Stay The Same!

UglyStrike
12-22-2006, 01:49
Well it warmed my heart to be away for almost 2 years and come back and find the same discussions still going on. :yes: I have always believed that the reason STW developed such a following and strong community, is the fact that no mod'ing was possible. Here are the units, every faction gets the same units "go kill each other" seemed to be the general theme. The only choice you had after you learned the strengths and weakness of each unit was to learn how to actually use what you had to work with. SKILL in other words.

Was the heavy Cav a little too wimpy, was the monks and muskets a little too strong? Yes! WAs the ever villified Monk/Gun army hard to handle? Yes!! Did that stop any of us from developing a differant type of army that would rip a Monk/Gun army into little pieces and make some "Head Soup"? NO!!

The point I am trying to make is that we as a community quickly moved past the Stats and moved into the realm of skill. My "standard army" was normally 4 muskets, 2 archers, 2 light/medium Cav, 1 Missile CAv, 3 spears, and 4 monks. I lost my head numorous times to Magy's Cav armies, Amp's various configurations, Elm's routing peasants, someone's mean nasty no-nachi army, Ham's Barn door swinging pig farmers, and untold other combinations of units. On the same note I won alot of battles also.

The sugggestion I have is to do a MOd with the stats from the original STW, giving us a limited number of units to choose from and have all factions use the same units. Then let the battles begin!!!! The Best player will win.

Strike

pevergreen
12-22-2006, 03:26
So basically your supporting Elmo's mod idea?

Yun Dog
12-22-2006, 04:17
Well it warmed my heart to be away for almost 2 years and come back and find the same discussions still going on. :yes: I have always believed that the reason STW developed such a following and strong community, is the fact that no mod'ing was possible. Here are the units, every faction gets the same units "go kill each other" seemed to be the general theme. The only choice you had after you learned the strengths and weakness of each unit was to learn how to actually use what you had to work with. SKILL in other words.

I could not agree more - the key being limited units - RPS as simple as its gets - learning each units strengths v weakness was well known - while the same principles apply in MTW - Id have a hard time knowing what units were in what factions and what they did - let alone what to send against them and what not to - its like ok those guys are spears so Ill send my heavy inf against them - but wait they are uber spears that eat infantry :help:

It was the eveness of each person being constrained within basic feudal warfare - you couldnt just grab all you men and click attack - youd lose for sure - you had to have a plan

The sugggestion I have is to do a MOd with the stats from the original STW, giving us a limited number of units to choose from and have all factions use the same units. Then let the battles begin!!!! The Best player will win.
Strike

I think this idea has merit :yes:

ElmarkOFear
12-22-2006, 08:46
Yup, Ole Strike supports Elmo, just like he did when he was my teammate in STW. I would yell; "HELP!" and he would be there . . . to laugh at my men as they ran past his army. :)

Strike you forgot to mention my famous Wet Wedgie All Musketeer Rush army!

pevergreen
12-22-2006, 10:07
That would be expensive in M2TW.
Any update on those CA slackers getting back to you Elmo?

Puzz3D
12-22-2006, 14:25
I've done that. It's called Samurai Wars.

What some people don't understand is that the new battle engine has been gutted by CA. This isn't my opinion. It can be demonstrated with objective testing. There is no way to make RTW/M2TW play like the original STW which is why the MTW/VI engine was used to make Samurai Wars.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
12-22-2006, 16:57

Was the heavy Cav a little too wimpy, was the monks and muskets a little too strong? Yes! WAs the ever villified Monk/Gun army hard to handle? Yes!! Did that stop any of us from developing a differant type of army that would rip a Monk/Gun army into little pieces and make some "Head Soup"? NO!!

The point I am trying to make is that we as a community quickly moved past the Stats and moved into the realm of skill. My "standard army" was normally 4 muskets, 2 archers, 2 light/medium Cav, 1 Missile CAv, 3 spears, and 4 monks. I lost my head numorous times to Magy's Cav armies, Amp's various configurations, Elm's routing peasants, someone's mean nasty no-nachi army, Ham's Barn door swinging pig farmers, and untold other combinations of units. On the same note I won alot of battles also.

Strike

Very much argeed m8. And that mod is Cal SamiWars :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Puzz3D
12-22-2006, 17:52
Very much argeed m8. And that mod is Cal SamiWars
Warman, I'm very sorry you missed that first Samurai Wars game last Sunday, and that the battle took so long. You're welcome to my spot anytime, but at the moment you arrived we had a 4v4 set up, and most of the players had already picked their armies. I didn't want to drop out and cause a delay for 7 other players. Also, if I'm hosting I can't drop, although I wasn't hosting that particular battle.

t1master
12-22-2006, 18:07
what's gonna happen to samurai wars if they pull the plug on the vi server? or is there little possiblity of that happening?

CBR
12-22-2006, 18:39
what's gonna happen to samurai wars if they pull the plug on the vi server? or is there little possiblity of that happening?
I doubt GameSpy will shut down the server. There are games older than MTW/VI still running on GameSpy.

CBR

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
12-22-2006, 20:37
Warman, I'm very sorry you missed that first Samurai Wars game last Sunday, and that the battle took so long. You're welcome to my spot anytime, but at the moment you arrived we had a 4v4 set up, and most of the players had already picked their armies. I didn't want to drop out and cause a delay for 7 other players. Also, if I'm hosting I can't drop, although I wasn't hosting that particular battle.

ah thank you Puzz. I was having a bad day anyhow at that time.I'm proably going to attend the next 1 or 2 Samiwars,since htey are really fun games :) :) since I be leaving the communtiy in a few weeks anyhow..

Shahed
12-22-2006, 21:30

It does'nt matter. You can play using Hamachi anytime, just in case by some luck gamespy crashes forever.

t1master
12-23-2006, 00:21
that's what i was wondering.. i remember yuuki saying that we couldn't set up a fakeserver like with shogun.

does the hamatchi work like the fakeserver, where there's a lobby, or is it just join a game at this addy?

YellowMelon
12-23-2006, 07:57
Yes. :P