PDA

View Full Version : Thanks - praise and chat

Nakamura Lobato
12-22-2006, 16:15
Thanks for making this mod. My venerable Shogun Total War bit the dust, and I was delighted to see your clan had developed a mod for Total War Barbarian Invasion. It is my Xmas present this year while I take off a few days before returning to my medical studies.
Nakamura

Puzz3D
12-22-2006, 18:03
STWmod is for MTW/VI not RTW/BI. There is a Shogun mod in development for RTW/BI. It's called Ran no Jidai and has it's own forum in the RTW section.

Nakamura Lobato
12-22-2006, 20:19
Oh I meant Viking Invasion. Sorry about that. I misspoke.

I reloaded Medieval War and Viking Invasion, and then loaded the mod and patches. It rocks. There are so many clans to chose from, although I doubt the minor clans have the same chances as the main ones.

My only wish is that Creative Assembly gives you some credit for creating such a fine project. I would have been all too happy to send money in for the mod. It's so much fun to pretend I am my Japanese ancestors. Those were days of real honour and courage. Imagine facing down a 3 foot razor. What resolve!

I am an American of of half Okinawan and half European ancestry. My Okinawan relatives were minor retainers under the Satsuma clans. I guess that makes them collaborators. The Nakamuras changed their names from the original name which was Nakandakari, which is a long funny story(too long to relate here). Nakamura is a common as the name Smith. There is a a marker on the ancestral tomb that acknowledges our samurai heritage. On the other side, my family were related to the Lee family of Virginia, a family of many fine warriors, including Robert E. Lee, my namesake. When I visited Japan I introduced myself, and they called me Lobarto instead of Robert.

I also am watching with great interest the mod that is being developed for RTW and Barbarian Invasion. (I get Viking and Barbarian mixed up, they seem synonymous). Perhaps it will be released soon. But Samurai Warlords is fantastic and available now! I can't believe that you can even play Multiplayer. What a joy to get Xmas early.
Nakamura

Puzz3D
12-25-2006, 03:35
Interesting family history you have Nakamura Lobato.

If you are using the Beta 7 for the SP campaign, I could make available as a separate download the maps and textures I made which fix the impassable terrain problem since it seems the release of Beta 8 is delayed. Also, the castles have more towers, but they are still too weak overall and we haven't done any further work on that issue yet.

Nakamura Lobato
12-25-2006, 17:43
Puzz3D-sama,

My family history is quite funny. My Okinawan mom decided to marry an American serviceman in 1962. It was still controversial at the time, and there were reams upon reams of papers to fill out, mostly due to American security issues. See things do really change. Any way, the Nakandakari were so angry, that they changed their name to Nakamura right when she had completed all the paperwork. Nakamura is a real common name. She had to re-file everything. It was done to create delays in the marriage.

I'm over at my parents for Xmas. My mom is supposed to dig out the Nakandakari genealogy. It was prepared a few years ago. I'm curious to see the relationship with the Shimazu clan.

Thanks for the projectile update.

Peace,
Nakamura

Nakamura Lobato
12-25-2006, 21:26
I have some ideas about sieges. It seems odd to imagine that the samurai could cause enough damage just battering the gate. I could understand if they actually were using siege equipment, but just clanging swords or flinging arrows at the door would do squat. It may be far better to leave things as is for game dynamics, but here's some ideas.

My guess is that most sieges were effectively ended by subterfuge (the only authentic use of battle ninjas), or from simply waiting until the water and food run out. Why not have a food and water gauge that runs out based upon the size of the castle? After a certain length of time the modifiers for the defenders gets so bad that the AI choses to come out from the castle. The current times for waiting out a siege seem ridiculously long.

On the other hand, Osprey publishing discusses siege warfare in Japan, so they did have these devices. The attacker could chose to go ahead and harass the defenders with fire and siege engines. Tossing the dead in could add a whole element of infection, or simply large reductions in morale.

Peace,
Nakamura

Puzz3D
12-26-2006, 20:50
The size of the castle divided by the number of defenders (cav count as two men) determines how long a castle can hold out. I think the number of turns a castle can hold out for is a holdover for playbalance reasons from Shogun. That time is not something the modder has control over. The idea behind it is to allow time for a relief army to arrive so that you can adopt a strategy of using a single, centrally located army to defend a whole group of provinces.

An attack on a castle is a bit of an abstraction. In Shogun, there wasn't even a gate that closed, and walls and towers were indestructable so an assault was just a fight for the open gate except for shooting over the walls with archers. Samurai did use ladders to assault castles, and the destruction of a wall could just symbolize the taking of a wall or the gatehouse. The idea is simply that the attacker should suffer substantially more casualties than the defender in an assault. Right now I think it's too easy to attack a castle, and therefore very little incentive to starve out the defenders. So, basically the walls and towers have to become a lot more resilient or the rate of fire from them has to increase. However, I wouldn't say that walls and towers have to become indestructable.

The AI doesn't know how to use artillery. It makes too much artillery, brings it to open field battles, and then moves its moblile units to high ground leaving the artillrty undefended. I think introducing artillery would damage the gameplay.

Irinami
01-06-2007, 02:29
It is so much fun and an honor to pretend that I am your Japanese ancestors too, Nakamura-dono! ;) By the way, did you find out anything on the relation between Nakandakari and Shimazu? I like hearing about people related to famous clans of yore. My wife and I hosted a descendent of Saitou Dousan, she was amazed and I was honored. :D

As for Barbarian vs. Viking... Barbarian is a general term, Viking is more specific. To extend it, Danes would be even more specific. In analogy it's like Canines -> Dogs -> German Shepherds.

Nakamura Lobato
01-06-2007, 03:34
In all the zaniness of the Xmas season, and with so many relatives coming in and out of my parent's house, my mother wasn't able to find it, and sit down translate it with me. Nuts! I was really excited. It will be months before I can return home to sit down with her and look over it. She isn't much of a traditionalist.

In the meantime, I'm supposed to be studying for my medical boards, but I've been playing Samurai Warlords for many many hours. It's my one guilty pleasure for the next few months.

I continue to be amazed at nuances of the game. I wonder though at the incredible use of ninja in the game. The AI seem to use them for all of the daimyo...that's something that I want to doubt was historically accurate. It seems highly dishonorable. I just can't make myself use them. The same is true of flintlocks.

I like what they've done with the Geisha. She was unbeatable before. I wouldn't mind if she was eliminated all together. The Uesugi really seem to have too much of an advantage with their Navy. It's almost like they have an unlimited supply of koku for building fleets.

I wonder what people use as effective combinations for sieges and general attacks. Do the FAQs for Shogun still hold true, or has the strategy changed with Samurai Warlords? Is it far more effective to create huge armies of Ashigaru or does it really matter to create heavy cavalry? I wonder too about the upper levels. Do people find that they can effectively build advance buildings in this mod, or do they only get them by using the .deadringer. cheat? I'm thinking about looking over the replays to pick up clues for effective attack and defense. Has anyone done this?

Thanks for making a wonderful game,
Nakamura

Puzz3D
01-06-2007, 15:03
I continue to be amazed at nuances of the game. I wonder though at the incredible use of ninja in the game. The AI seem to use them for all of the daimyo...that's something that I want to doubt was historically accurate. It seems highly dishonorable. I just can't make myself use them. The same is true of flintlocks.
That's strange. I haven't seen a ninja daimyo in my Takeda campaign up to the year 1584 using beta_7. I wouldn't mind if the ninja and kensai were not in the game.

The teppo are matchlocks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchlock) not flintlocks, and they were used in Japan although not until 1543. For gameplay reasons they reload faster than historically. Check out the Battle of Nagashino (http://www.samurai-archives.com/ban.html).

I like what they've done with the Geisha. She was unbeatable before. I wouldn't mind if she was eliminated all together. The Uesugi really seem to have too much of an advantage with their Navy. It's almost like they have an unlimited supply of koku for building fleets.
Uesugi has some rich provinces, but the koku is not unlimited. You want to go after the rich provinces. The AI does since a province's income is a factor used in determining AI attacks.

I wonder what people use as effective combinations for sieges and general attacks. Do the FAQs for Shogun still hold true, or has the strategy changed with Samurai Warlords? Is it far more effective to create huge armies of Ashigaru or does it really matter to create heavy cavalry? I wonder too about the upper levels. Do people find that they can effectively build advance buildings in this mod, or do they only get them by using the .deadringer. cheat? I'm thinking about looking over the replays to pick up clues for effective attack and defense. Has anyone done this?
Use combined arms if you can. That would mean some archers, spears, swords and cav. The strategy FAQ's for Shogun are probably not valid for STWmod. However, Shogun battle tactics are still valid. Large ashigaru armies might be successful at first, but they'll be crushed when they go up against no-dachi, naginata or monks. You can get to the advanced bulidings. It just takes a while. I don't try to get every advanced buliding. I never use cheats.

The MP replays are fun to watch, but humans don't play like the AI and the starting armies are always of equal value. Even so, you would be able to observe the strengths and weaknesses of the unit types and how to use them. The heavy cav is definitely a powerful unit as you can see in those replays, and you need the yari unit types stop it.

Nakamura Lobato
01-06-2007, 16:48
Puzz3D-sama,

Thanks for the info on the matchlocks. Now that I remember Seven Samurai, the gun had to stay lit, or they had to keep a fuse going. Thanks for clearing that up. I watched the Hidden Fortress on IFC this morning, and they were using them too. I know that the Portuguese introduced them to Nippon but I wonder about how common they were. I thought that they would have the advantage in wet weather versus archers, but now I'm not so certain. The loading times seem to be prohibitive, so maybe just dealing with the initial shock and confusion would give them an advantage versus their foes?

The Kensai should be extraordinarily rare. I think they should be a special unit that happens to appear only once in a while versus creating them from a building. That would make them wonderful. Ronin samurai were plentiful at certain points in history, but ronin kensai are all too common i.e. easily hired.

You know what would be cool? What if you don't hire ronin in your cities? Wouldn't that cause trouble to the province? All those loose cannon would breed banditry in a location. I wonder if that's why they got bought up, just to get them off the streets. It would make the use of Shinobi more important to a town.

Just for fun I played a game of MWBI last night as Spain. It was funny to see the mix of Japanese sons with Hispanic names! And crusades as geishas!

Have you seen many times that marrying off a princess caused you to inherit the lands of another clan?

Thanks for the tips on Samurai Warlords.

Nakamura

The only info I have found...and it's tenuous at best is that the Nakandakari made certain stylistic changes in the karate kata, and that a certain Nakandakari went to Satsuma to learn the art of pottery. He returned to found the art in Okinawa.

Puzz3D
01-06-2007, 18:16
Thanks for the info on the matchlocks. Now that I remember Seven Samurai, the gun had to stay lit, or they had to keep a fuse going. Thanks for clearing that up. I watched the Hidden Fortress on IFC this morning, and they were using them too. I know that the Portuguese introduced them to Nippon but I wonder about how common they were. I thought that they would have the advantage in wet weather versus archers, but now I'm not so certain. The loading times seem to be prohibitive, so maybe just dealing with the initial shock and confusion would give them an advantage versus their foes?
A unit suffers a temporary -2 morale penalty when it sustains one or more casualties inflicted by archers. This morale penalty is -6 when the casualties are caused by teppo. There is an additional temporary morale penalty for the ratio of the number of men lost in a combat cycle compared to the number of men in the unit in the previous cycle. There is also a permanent morale penalty for the ratio of decimation of a unit compared to its original size (-2 for 10% casualties, -8 for 50% casualties and -12 for 80% casualties). In addition, teppo have more penetrating power vs armor than archers, so are better against heavily armored units such as naginata and heavy cav than are archers. Teppo also take 4 hitpoints off the tashio if he gets hit whereas archers only remove 1 hitpoint. Taisho's have 6 hitpoints minimum + additional hitpoints for good health. I think 25 is the maximum number of hitpoints for a very healthy tashio.

The Kensai should be extraordinarily rare. I think they should be a special unit that happens to appear only once in a while versus creating them from a building. That would make them wonderful. Ronin samurai were plentiful at certain points in history, but ronin kensai are all too common i.e. easily hired.
They should be rare I would say.

You know what would be cool? What if you don't hire ronin in your cities? Wouldn't that cause trouble to the province? All those loose cannon would breed banditry in a location. I wonder if that's why they got bought up, just to get them off the streets. It would make the use of Shinobi more important to a town.
I don't think we can model that effect in this game.

Have you seen many times that marrying off a princess caused you to inherit the lands of another clan?
I think it's alliances that result in you getting provinces if a clan is eliminated.

Nakamura Lobato
01-06-2007, 18:56
How did you realize all of the nuances of the source code? You must of spent a huge amount of time assimilating all of the calculations? Did you get the chance to discuss the strategy with the game designers or did you just figure it out when the code was released. Did the designers write their thoughts down somewhere?

The matchlocks make absolute sense. It's elegant.
Nakamura

Irinami
01-07-2007, 14:14
Nakamura-dono,

You wonder about how common firearms were in Sengoku-jidai. They became a tool of growing importance throughout the era, although as I recall they were not the backbone of any Sengoku army. Sengoku-jidai more or less ends about the same time of the Thirty Years' War in the Holy Roman Empire (Germany). Count Tilly stuck to the old 3:1 pikemen:musketeers used in the 1500's; something between 3:1 and 1:1 was the norm, while the Swedes were pushing a 1:2 to 1:4 ratio or more. My point is, even in contemporary Europe firearms were only the backbone of just one major army, which was still reliant on the pikes. So I doubt they would be any more utilized in Nippon.

The historical advantage to firearms, as I recall, is first and foremost their simplicity of operation. A "gonne" (the old term for gun, I use it as a catchall for muskets, teppo, etc. etc.) requires just the training of loading and firing. With a bow, the operation gets more complex--there's some bit of aiming in there. Yes, you can aim a gonne too, but it's not reliably accurate. So you need either a gonne capable of firing several shots at once, or several gonners firing at once.

The stronger the bow, the stronger the archer; if you need to deal with armored opponents, your archer is going to be a significantly trained soldier, and will need more than a diet of gruel. The bow itself is somewhat complex, and each one is something of a work of art--the bow is not a flaw-tolerant system. The gonne, on the other hand, lends itself more easily to mass production, and gains much less from training (other than discipline) compared to the bow. The gonne is more tolerant of flaws for two reasons: The operator is a replaceable peasant, and as long as the weapon makes a little ball go out the same end the operator is looking every time the operator makes it go "bang," then it's working.

As I understand it, you've described the origins of (some of) the yakuza. In Edo period, the samurai families of the Sengoku-jidai of course haven't stopped. And they haven't stopped having children either, of course! So between the peace and the natural growth of clans, there are a great number of samurai with really no purpose. Called kabuki-mono ("raving ones," some sources translate it as) or more properly hatamoto yakko ("servants of the hatamoto/shogun), some would dress wildly and use their position to justify extreme actions. Basically overpriviliged brats who never had to learn to control themselves. So, in some places, the local roughs and toughs (and plenty of drunks ;)) banded together calling themselves machi yakko ("servants of the town"), as a sort of vigilante/grassroots control on these nobles.

OK that much rememborizing hurt my brain. ;) Hope this helps give you a wider understanding of stuff. Oh, cool on Nakandakari about the potential bringing of a pottery style to Okinawa. As for stylistic changes to karate (ask about karate some other time), it's entirely believable. It has been said that if the master hasn't changed the martial art he practices, then he's not a master--just a talking book.

Puzz3D
01-07-2007, 16:28
You wonder about how common firearms were in Sengoku-jidai. They became a tool of growing importance throughout the era, although as I recall they were not the backbone of any Sengoku army.
I don't think they are dominate in Samurai Wars. The samurai archer unit is better than the Portuguese teppo unit and approximately equal to the Japanese teppo unit when those units exchange volleys. The teppo are also vulnerable to cavalry.

How did you realize all of the nuances of the source code? You must of spent a huge amount of time assimilating all of the calculations? Did you get the chance to discuss the strategy with the game designers or did you just figure it out when the code was released. Did the designers write their thoughts down somewhere?
Some things we figured out by running tests. I figured out how the Benny Hill effect worked by running tests on my LAN, and my results were later confirmed by the designer who then started posting to this forum. Using tests I designed to quantify the morale effects, I also determined that +12 morale had been accidentally added to all the units in the Mongol Invasion Expansion's multiplayer. I quantified many morale effects during this time, and the designer both confirmed those results and provided additional info on the combat system. Other players ran tests as well, and gradually over a two year period a good understanding of the battle engine was developed. Both the morale and combat systems were later documented by the designer in two chapters of the Official Medieval Total War Strategy Guide, and with some additional info provided by him in the forums during the MTW/VI period, a full understanding of the battle system was eventually achieved.

Nakamura Lobato
01-07-2007, 18:15
So when the Teppo or Archers run out of ammunition, do their combat stats change dramatically? I'm curious since once overrun, they were forced to hand to hand fighting. Of course the mounted archer units would be armed samurai, so they would be switching off to yari or katana.

What's the Benny Hill effect? I know the English comedian.

My library is in storage. I don't recall if Turnball explained if Teppo were available unless you had access to Portuguese traders. If the only way to get them was constructing Cathedrals, it seems like having the ability to create warrior monks and Portuguese teppo is unfair.

I'll bet that the rifling wasn't present inside off the barrels (the long spiral that guides the ball), but they still would have been somewhat accurate at close range. I doubt that the samurai would let just anyone get access to the matchlocks, particularly peasants. They were probably poor farmer-samurai ashigaru who got upgraded instead. It would have been dangerous to allow commoners weapons, hence the banning of weapons in Okinawa.

What program do you use to edit the source code? Are there programs so that you can change rules on the fly, or make additions?

Nakamura
:book:

Puzz3D
01-08-2007, 17:20
So when the Teppo or Archers run out of ammunition, do their combat stats change dramatically? I'm curious since once overrun, they were forced to hand to hand fighting. Of course the mounted archer units would be armed samurai, so they would be switching off to yari or katana.
Their stats don't change. They switch to their melee weapon when out of ammo or if overrun. You can also force this switch by pressing ALT when you order a ranged unit that still has ammo to attack.

The ranged weapon stat is separate from the melee weapon stat. The ranged weapon is a true vacuum physics model with range modified by height and accuracy modified by height, fatigue, weather and line of sight (LOS) of individual men while the melee is handled by a robust statistical model weighted by situational combat factors such as height, fatigue, striking at a man's flank, pushback, overcrowding, etc.

What's the Benny Hill effect? I know the English comedian.
That was what the designer called the effect where constant retreat would trigger a unit into an unrecoverable rout. In original STW, this would happen after about 5 consecutive moves away from enemy units within about 75 meters. The purpose of the feature was to prevent players from winning battles by constantly retreating from the enemy until the timer expired. Feint tactics with units such as cavalry archers were thus very limited. The Benny Hill effect was changed in STW/MI so that ranged units were not affected until they ran out of ammo. As I recall, the number of consecutive retreats needed to trigger the rout was also increased.

My library is in storage. I don't recall if Turnball explained if Teppo were available unless you had access to Portuguese traders. If the only way to get them was constructing Cathedrals, it seems like having the ability to create warrior monks and Portuguese teppo is unfair.
Original STW was set up like that. STWmod apparently can't duplicate that. I don't think it's unfair because the ability is available to all the clans.

I'll bet that the rifling wasn't present inside off the barrels (the long spiral that guides the ball), but they still would have been somewhat accurate at close range. I doubt that the samurai would let just anyone get access to the matchlocks, particularly peasants. They were probably poor farmer-samurai ashigaru who got upgraded instead. It would have been dangerous to allow commoners weapons, hence the banning of weapons in Okinawa.
There is no rifling and accuracy of teppo (0.12 and 0.16) is very low compared to the bow (0.6). The teppo are ashigaru units while the archers, both mounted and unmounted, are samurai and have better melee capability. Samurai do not suffer a morale penalty when they see ashigaru rout.

What program do you use to edit the source code? Are there programs so that you can change rules on the fly, or make additions?
We can't edit the source code. An editor called the Gnome Editor is useful for editing the unit stats. The projectile stats can be easiy edited with the notepad program. Samurai Wars was a group effort that took several months and many man hours to balance. The whole idea of the stat is that there isn't any one unit that dominates.

Irinami
01-08-2007, 17:31
... Benny Hill Effect for the FAIL. I wondered why my Taicho would flee if I used him to drag an enemy unit across the battlefield willy-nilly. Guess I just have to have him charge them a couple of times.

Puzz3D
01-08-2007, 18:19
... Benny Hill Effect for the FAIL. I wondered why my Taicho would flee if I used him to drag an enemy unit across the battlefield willy-nilly. Guess I just have to have him charge them a couple of times.
According to the designer, attacking an enemy unit resets the Benny Hill counter. I was never able to conclusively verify that in tests.

Tomisama
01-09-2007, 02:49
Some thoughts :wink:

Originally Posted by Nakamura Lobato

Guns were being manufactured by the Japanese themselves in the thousands, no traders required :smile:

Originally Posted by Nakamura Lobato

It is my impression that only Samurai class or above actually owned weapons of any kind. In fact I remember reading one account where there was a list of basic weapon requirements for a Samurai under a particular Lord. He had to have so many spears, so many guns, etc.. I am guessing that there are many variations on this, but essentially peasant soldiers (Ashigaru) were only allowed arms as needed. But in any case, I am certain that thousands of ordinary peasants were trained and given guns (just not to take home).

:bow:

Edit: When Chinese matchlocks (mostly handguns) were all that were available, I am sure these rare weapons were highly prized by Samurai who owned them. And those guns never saw more than private use. But when the sword smith traded his daughter for the training on how to properly close the arquebus barrel end, the availability the gun, and history of Japan were forever changed :wink:

Tomisama
01-13-2007, 03:23
I’m sorry if I appear confrontational, that was not my mission.

I only seek to spur controversy to provide a platform for the exchange of knowledge.

Ancient Japanese firearms has become of special study of mine, and I could not resist jumping in to the conversation, but never intended to kill it :no:

Nakamura Lobato
01-13-2007, 03:41
I never that you were confrontational, Tomisama.

I started my last semester of basic sciences in med school. I'm studying for boards. Not enough time for sleep, much less Samurai Warlords.:dizzy2:
:wall:
No rest for the exhausted.

I guess the confusion comes in from James Clavel's Shogun. I thought that he based it on historical fact, and that Turnball confirmed the 1st use of firearms at The Battle of Sekigahara by the Tokugawa army? But that doesn't sound right at all. Didn't Nobunaga use them earlier?

Four hours of sleep in tow dasy maeks ti hadr to thnik.
Nakamura

Irinami
01-13-2007, 06:35
No worries mate. What you mentioned jives well with what I'd read. Have nothing more to add. :)

Puzz3D
01-13-2007, 16:12
I guess the confusion comes in from James Clavel's Shogun. I thought that he based it on historical fact, and that Turnball confirmed the 1st use of firearms at The Battle of Sekigahara by the Tokugawa army? But that doesn't sound right at all. Didn't Nobunaga use them earlier?
From Wikipedia: "The first arquebuses were introduced in Japan in 1543 by Portuguese traders (Fernão Mendes Pinto), who landed by accident on Tanegashima, an island south of Kyūshū in the region controlled by the Shimazu clan. By 1550, copies of the Portuguese arquebus were being produced in large quanties, and they were often seen on the battlefields all over Japan."

STW begins in 1530 and has the Portuguese arrival scripted to occur in 1543 if you have the required options in place. Somewhat later the Dutch arrive with the musket, but my understanding is that the musket wasn't used in Japan during the Sengoku Jidai. The Japanese manufactured copies of the Portuguese arquebusier (teppo). The Japanese teppo was of better workmanship and that is reflected in STWmod by giving them higher accuracy. Since we don't have seasonal turns in STWmod, the campaign starts earlier than 1530 and we don't have the availability of the teppo tied to the arrival of Portuguese traders. As a result, it may be possible to get teppo earlier than 1543. I think barocca had to choose a compromise solution because of the differences between STW and MTW.

Tomisama
01-13-2007, 16:57
Now this has no bearing on the game, but for those who love to peruse the unsolvable mazes of history, three things have be brought to my attention.

1. The Portuguese considered Pinto to be quite the story teller.

“They gave rise to the saying "Fernão, Mentes? Minto!", a Portuguese pun on his name meaning "Fernão, do you lie? Yes, I lie!"”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fern%C3%A3o_Mendes_Pinto

2. The Japanese themselves do not believe that there was a transfer of advanced Western technology to Japan. At least they have no evidence to support it in all of Japan.

http://www.rekihaku.ac.jp/e-rekihaku/114/index.html

3. The term used to describe these weapons by almost all Western “expert” documentation is “arquebus”. This is derived from the name harquebus, or German hackbüchse, which means latch gun. In Europe the latch gun referred to a weapon requiring a support rest or wall hook to support it’s “long” barrel. This is not a description of the Tanegashima gun, plain an simple.

Who knows ;)

Irinami
01-13-2007, 19:07
The use of the term "arquebus" in reference to the firearms in Japan has always been tenuous. I wouldn't go reading too much into the word. On the other hand, if there is a lack of evidence, then that's interesting. However, it's a sure thing that Dutch and Portuguese traders were active in sengoku-jidai; the Portuguese as Nanban (southern barbarians), bringing coveted Chinese goods in an end run around the Chinese ban on trade wth Japan, and the Dutch as the Kōmō (red hair), though they came in round 1600.

Quite interesting though, certainly something to read up on.

Edit: Which I was doing as I wrote this. I was going to jokingly say, "So maybe the Dutch were bringing Chinese arquebuses!" I was re-reading the Nanban (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanban) article on Wiki, came across the following:

Strictly speaking, the Japanese were already familiar with gunpowder (invented by, and transmitted from China), and had been using basic Chinese guns and cannon tubes called Teppō (鉄砲 Lit.”Iron cannon”) for around 270 years before the arrival of the Portuguese. The Portuguese guns however were light, had a matchlock firing mechanism and were easy to aim with.

Sounds like the Chinese-tube "Teppo" were a bit more like arquebus, and the name probably stuck from use. I'd wager the Portuguese designs weren't co-opted in toto, but were used as inspiration to upgrade their own.

Also of note:

Within a year (ed: of Pinto's OR WHOEVER'S contact with the Japanese), Japanese swordsmiths and ironsmiths managed to reproduce the mechanism and mass-produce the guns. Barely fifty years later, "by the end of the 16th century, guns were almost certainly more common in Japan than in any other country in the world", its armies equipped with a number of guns dwarfing any contemporary army in Europe (Perrin).

Perrin's a pretty respected source, so I wouldn't doubt that. Guess I was wrong in saying they were never a backbone.

Tomisama
01-13-2007, 20:16
3. The term used to describe these weapons by almost all Western “expert” documentation is “arquebus”. This is derived from the name harquebus, or German hackbüchse, which means latch gun. In Europe the latch gun referred to a weapon requiring a support rest or wall hook to support it’s “long” barrel. This is not a description of the Tanegashima gun, plain an simple.

Well I was at least wrong about part, if not all of this. If the Japanese din't have any record, what about other people of the same period?

To try to make some comparisons I started looking for anything on 16th century weapons and their manufacture. In several places I did find reference to arquebus being carried on sailing expeditions (Sir Francis Drake, etc.), and looking at pictures must conclude that there is a marked resemblance between the Japanese and European versions, including size!

For example:

Ralegh's colonists probably had several kinds of foreign and domestic firearms. First among small arms of the period was the arquebus (harquebus, hackbut), a smooth-bore muzzle-loading weapon of fifteenth century origin, with a barrel about 3 feet long.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/fora/arms.htm

I will be continuing to research this subject, and collect data :wink:

Nakamura Lobato
01-20-2007, 20:41
http://www.goosejuice.com/albums/japan/Japanese%20Rifles%20-%20Nihon%20no%20Bijutsu/index.html
give me a katana, yari, or any other weapon any day.

Nakamura

Puzz3D
01-27-2007, 20:08
give me a katana, yari, or any other weapon any day.
The teppo isn't being used as an individual weapon. It's used to volley which multiplies the effectiveness. In the game, a single man with a teppo is useless.

Nakamura Lobato
01-28-2007, 14:18
I know, I just jerking your chain.:laugh4:
Nakamura

But I did include the link for you gun lovers.

Puzz3D
01-28-2007, 18:09
I know, I just jerking your chain.:laugh4:
Don't make me create a page long post about guns. ~:)

Nakamura Lobato
01-28-2007, 20:32
I know, I was one of a handful of Japanese-Americans raised in rural Kentucky. We were all gun owners and in the NRA. There are probably guns in every third home. I wonder if Okinawans had guns if they would have been overrun by the Shimazu. Probably so, they were invaded by almost everyone. One of the first things the Russians (post-Communism) voted back into their laws was the right to bear arms.

Page forward to World War II. The Japanese left a handful of soldiers on Okinawa as the Americans approached. The Okinawans fought largely with sharpened sticks (not even proper spears). My mom told me that when she was taught at age 7 to aim high with her "spear" since the soldiers were so tall. Luckily she wasn't killed in the invasion. Her older 9 year old brother was pressed into service in the Japanese army to be a helper. So much for the heroic American invasion versus the Japanese at Okinawa.

In the bombing raids preceding the landing of American troops, some of the Okinawans hid in caves. The kids were crying, and my grandmother Tsuru said to them "Samurai do not cry." Some of the women were told that they would be raped, so they simply hung themselves. My mother found one such unfortunate as a child. Other women were staying in caves thinking they were safe, and refused to come out. As a result flame throwers were brought in and they were napalmed.

After the invasion, the Japanese schoolchildren helped pick up the dead. Of course they couldn't pick up all of them, so many simply rotted in the soil. Months later, they would have school outings to pick up the bones for burial. Can you imagine? There are few really large trees in Okinawa since most were destroyed by the bombings. In the aftermath, everything was dead, crops destroyed, homes gone....my mom said that they boiled water and ate the slugs that crawled about during the rains. Many precious artifacts and records were lost.

I have mixed views of the indiscriminate weapons of the technological age. Civilians have always been killed during wartime, but with the invention of the gun came civilian death on a large scale. It is through this lens that I both appreciate and consider the necessity of the "gonne" as a modern weapon. With guns came artillery, flamethrowers and bombs. Picasso's Guernica speaks volumes about such warfare.

Despite the historical usage of modern weapons by the samurai, it is with great sadness to see an age where hand-to-hand combat, the perhaps artificial nobility of Bushido, the beauty of one swordsman training for years, etc became anachronistic. With teppos came a new way of fighting. It is not that they are dishonourable, it is that they made the world a different place.

Today is a melancholy day, it is my daughter's 20th birthday, and I am far away from her. I wonder what kind of honourable world I have brought her into. As we pull out our soldiers from Iraq, I wonder how they will fare as the swarms of opposition soldiers swell into their numbers. I remember the exit of our soldiers as we exited Vietnam, I'm old enough for it to be a strong memory. These are my musings these days as I play the rare game of Samurai Warlords.

Perhaps if war were so terrible to fight, as it was with hand-to-hand combat facing swords, we would be more careful about our battles. Somehow we have lost the closeness of death. The samurai knew death as a mistress, and as such knew how precious life was. When we see the violence on television, we shrug since it is commonplace...and yet who among us knows the real taste of battle and loss?

Although the use of matchlocks were used by the samurai, although ninja were used by many, I simply cannot use these weapons myself while I fight battles. Although I know historically they were used, and that the Bushido of my childhood was a fairy tale, they make me sad.

Nakamura aka Nakandakari Lobato:bow:

Irinami
01-29-2007, 20:10
War was terrible before the gun, and war will be terrible long after the gun too has gone long out of fashion.

Swap the word "gun" with that of any weapon. Nakamura-dono's words are beautiful, but the realist in me can only look to even a brief study of history to refute them--though he does so some himself, for which the man is due his honours.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Whether it was made by spears, swords, rifles, or bombs, the meaning of a field of bodies will never be appreciated by urban folk until they themselves are among the dead and dying. Curse the gun? May as well curse the bow, for showing the way. Curse the bow? A pox on the sword, for bringing the trappings of "honor" and "righteousness" to killing. Curse the sword? Curse the spear for bringing simple killing beyond the reach of a man's arm. Curse the spear, and to the crows with the rock, for making killing a thing that a man can blame upon something other than himself.

Curse the rock and you get to the root of the problem: Curse the killer.

Nakamura Lobato
02-01-2007, 13:00
:atama_sageru:

jerome
02-05-2007, 16:07
hello everybody
i have a pb
i dowloaded the version 7 and installed everything but how do i start the game?
i have everything or so it seems but no application to start. :wall: :help:

please help

je

CBR
02-05-2007, 17:46
Just use the shortcut you have on your desktop to start the game. If im not mistaken the version 7 install should even put in a shortcut with an STW icon.

CBR

TosaInu
02-05-2007, 18:29
Well I was at least wrong about part, if not all of this. If the Japanese din't have any record, what about other people of the same period?

To try to make some comparisons I started looking for anything on 16th century weapons and their manufacture. In several places I did find reference to arquebus being carried on sailing expeditions (Sir Francis Drake, etc.), and looking at pictures must conclude that there is a marked resemblance between the Japanese and European versions, including size!

For example:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/fora/arms.htm

I will be continuing to research this subject, and collect data :wink:

Japanese guns can not be compared to the European ones. The first gun hitting shore in Japan was from Chinese origin. It wasn't all that great. Next were Portugese rifles, those were better. But the Japanese started to copy and improve it. Apart from making a very good quality arquebus, it could shoot in rain (impregnated fuse), standard boresizes were used, and they had cartridges. Standard boresizes made it much easier to supply, but it also speeds up reload (Western gunners had a tool to 'cut' the bullet to their bore). Cartridges also speed up reloading.

R'as al Ghul
02-06-2007, 11:08
i dowloaded the version 7 and installed everything but how do i start the game?

As CBR said, you use the shortcut to Medieval. The installer does not create a shortcut but there's an icon file which you can use to change the look of the shortcut. To do this you select properties of the shortcut, and change the icon.
If you don't have a shortcut on your desktop you can create one by right clicking the medieval.exe file and dragging (while holding right button down) it to the desktop. Let go the button and select "create shortcut".

Once in-game you select the beta_7 era.

Hope that helps?

jerome
02-06-2007, 20:52
thanks for the tip
however, i do not have medieval total war but rome total war
'that a problem?

Puzz3D
02-06-2007, 21:30
thanks for the tip
however, i do not have medieval total war but rome total war
'that a problem?
Yes. Samurai Wars mod is for MTW/VI v2.01.

jerome
02-07-2007, 12:11
ok
thanks anyway
was worth a shot i think

Tristrem
02-09-2007, 01:16
First, I would like to thank everyone that put their time into this mod, it is amazing. I'ver played every total war game except shogun, and only found mtw to require proper strategy to win. However, I have taken a severe beat down in the campaign and battles of this mod. :help: Why can't I win a battle in my campaign, I am only playing on normal. It's like the enemy samuri are on crack, the never break. Are there any helpful hints that I do not know about? Any advice would be appreciated. :yes:

R'as al Ghul
02-09-2007, 08:40
However, I have taken a severe beating down in the campaign and battles of this mod. :help: Why can't I win a battle in my campaign? I am only playing on normal. It's like the enemy samuri are on crack, they never break. Are there any helpful hints that I do not know about? Any advice would be appreciated. :yes:

:grin: Well, that's because I taught the AI what it means to be Samurai. :laugh4:
Yes, I think most of us agree that's it's tough. I've to admit that I've lost a lot at the beginning, too. Part of the strength of the AI is certainly due to my tweakings but the other part is due to the AI's command stars. Having 6* or more generals considerably boosts the combat values of the units. You're well advised to field your best commanders of at least equal rank. Also, pay attention to the level of upgrades the enemy units have.
The "normal" difficulty doesn't give you or the AI any other combat advantage. So, while it's hard and the AI does know how to fight it's still possible to win.
You've to use your units properly, though. You cannot just overpower the enemy like in Rome. The game doesn't allow much mistakes.

I'm not sure if this helps you in any way. If you like we can have an extra discussion thread. Perhaps you would like to give us some screenshots of battles and a description on how it went. Then we could tell you what you've been doing wrong.

:bow:
R'as

Noir
02-09-2007, 13:45
I love to lose in SWs and i dont lose because of battlefield cheats or swarming, that's for sure. I lose because the Ai is doing great match ups, uses flanking and knows how to keep and employ reserves and protects the general (that he enters as a last smack :smash: )

I played about 3-4 campaigns with the Tokugawa. Its great! Apart from their lovely colour and mon, you have to balance between the scary Takeda, the resourcefull Imagawa, the up and coming Hojo, the ambitious Oda and the skillful Honda.

Much like it really was.

The campaign building times and prices also help alot - you have to work on your limited resources and take calculated risks with what you have in hand to increase your lands - turtle and advance when you are ready will not win you the game because the potential wealth does not guarantee many and good troops.

Multistack armies are also not very easily supported and so battles are less of a chore at advanced stages.

All in all - i've had many lost campaigns that i've felt i won since "my honour was great, perhaps inanother life i will succed"

Puzz3D
02-09-2007, 18:11
Part of the strength of the AI is certainly due to my tweakings but the other part is due to the AI's command stars. Having 6* or more generals considerably boosts the combat values of the units.
I think the command stars are still too high in beta7. A general with 8 command stars boosts the combat power of the units under him by a factor of 2 which is a lot, and it doesn't leave much room for command star increases based on subsequent battles because the commant star counter rolls over after 10 stars. I would like to see the best generals given no more than 6 stars to start.

I have taken a severe beat down in the campaign and battles of this mod. Why can't I win a battle in my campaign, I am only playing on normal. It's like the enemy samuri are on crack, the never break. Are there any helpful hints that I do not know about? Any advice would be appreciated.
When you enter a battle press F1 and check the morale of your units. In MTW/VI, the general's traits can lower morale and this affects all the units under his command. So, a high command star general doesn't guarantee high morale troops. Low morale troops (morale under 6) cannot be put under much stress without them routing, and should be used in multi-unit formations with their flanks covered by other units.

Martok
02-10-2007, 00:03
Also in MTW/VI, an army is not necessarily commanded by the strongest general. For example, if you have a 9 star general who is not a family member and a 3 star family member in the same army, the 3 star family member will be the commander on the battlefield.
With all respect to your near-infinite knowledge of all things Total War, Puzz, that actually only applies to the faction leader. His sons and brothers are treated like any other general, and will only take command if they're the highest-ranked general in the stack.

I'm not just quoting the manual, by the way -- I speak from experience. I'll often "apprentice" an inexperienced prince in MTW to a more seasoned commander for a couple battles. (In my Spanish campaigns, El Cid tends to get quite a few apprentices during his tenure.)

Now if an army stack has 2 generals of equal rank and 1 of them is of royal blood, then in that case the family member would be the army commander. :yes:

Puzz3D
02-10-2007, 01:35
With all respect to your near-infinite knowledge of all things Total War, Puzz, that actually only applies to the faction leader. His sons and brothers are treated like any other general, and will only take command if they're the highest-ranked general in the stack.
Yes you are right. The strongest general takes command of the army. I'll edit my post. Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

Martok
02-10-2007, 08:04
No problem, sensai. :bow:

While I'm thinking of it, I have a question about SW to which I haven't found a clear answer: Does the mod include Shogun's sound, voice, and music as well? Or are we stuck with the medieval music and Sean Pertwee's voiceovers?

R'as al Ghul
02-10-2007, 11:03
While I'm thinking of it, I have a question about SW to which I haven't found a clear answer: Does the mod include Shogun's sound, voice, and music as well? Or are we stuck with the medieval music and Sean Pertwee's voiceovers?

No, we won't include the original Shogun voices and sounds due to copyright restrictions and the fact that it would mean about 200-300 MB additional data to download.
What you can do and what we've done is to use Tosa's soundswapper or copy the files manually into your SamWars install.

R'as

R'as al Ghul
02-10-2007, 11:06
I think the command stars are still too high in beta7. A general with 8 command stars boosts the combat power of the units under him by a factor of 2 which is a lot, and it doesn't leave much room for command star increases based on subsequent battles because the commant star counter rolls over after 10 stars. I would like to see the best generals given no more than 6 stars to start.

I'd even argue for a lower number. Keep in mind that we've the office and province titles which at least give 1 command star.
I'd say a max of 4 for all starting generals and other historical characters is enough.

Puzz3D
02-11-2007, 05:57
I'd even argue for a lower number. Keep in mind that we've the office and province titles which at least give 1 command star.
I'd say a max of 4 for all starting generals and other historical characters is enough.
I think max 4 command stars would work fine.

Maeda Toshiie posted how command stars increase by winning battles in STW/MI. I think this is probably the same for MTW/VI.

A general's rank increases with the net number of battles won (wins - losses):

1 win: 1 star
2 wins: 2 stars
4 wins: 3 stars
8 wins: 4 stars
16 wins: 5 stars
32 wins: 6 stars