PDA

View Full Version : Tamriel: Total War

Seign Thelas
12-24-2006, 09:45
Very early stages of development. (Planning) But here's what I need:

Anyone.
But mainly people who can skin and model.
And people to make a map.

If you're interested leave a post here.

SSJVegetaTrunks
12-24-2006, 17:14
Here's what I can do:

Allright, I think I can help with the following:

1. Putting traits and retinues into the game.
2. Putting quotes into the game.
3. Possibly putting faction descriptions into the game (like the description it shows while choosing factions).
4. Possibly editing starting diplomacy between factions.
5. Possibly editing events that happen in the game (like "stoic philosophy", or "eruption at etna").
6. Possibly editing what factions say when offered/give a diplomacy proposal. For example, when some factions ask for an alliance they may say "we are powerful and together will be unstoppable".
7. Possibly put names into the game. The names generated for children are randomly chosen depending on the faction, chosen from a list of first names, and then from a list of last names and putting them together. I can add/remove/change these.

The reasons I say "possibly" on some of these is because I have skimmed through certain files and have seen how I can probably edit these files. There are also other things that I might be able to find how to do, like putting in unit descriptions.

Keep in mind, I am not good at researching. Anything that I put into the game I would first have to have you type out for me or give a general idea about. For example, don't just say "ok make the description for this faction". You will actually have to type out what you want the description to say, or find someone else to do it for you. You should use some of the default descriptions as a guideline to make it sound like it belongs in this game.

-------------

But anyway, I think the first thing that needs to be done is we need to figure out the factions and cultures. What do you think they should be?

Seign Thelas
12-25-2006, 02:53
Background of this mod can be found at:

www.elderscrolls.com

It'll take place at the beginning of the Fourth Era, after the Oblivion Invasion.

It will take place on Tamriel (The Continent)

Each faction will need its own culture and different look. Each faction will be a different race, they are:

Argonian
(Lizard-like People)

Altmer
(High Elves)

Bosmer
(Wood Elves)

Breton
(Magically Gifted Human Race with some Elf blood)

Dunmer
(Dark Elves)

Imperial
(People, think Roman)

Khajit
(Cat-like People)

Nord
(Warlike people, think Germanic Tribes/Viking)

Orcs
(Not the dumb brutes from LOTR, think more like civilized, but still kind of barbaric, but very good armies/equipment)

Redguard
(Dark-skinned people, best fighters)

And the rebels, I think, should be the Daedra (Demons) From hell, but since in the past game the gate to Oblivion (Hell) was shut permanently, each rebel army should include some kind of human/elf fighters that could have summoned the Daedra.

SSJVegetaTrunks
12-25-2006, 05:57
I don't know if there can be that many cultures. Egypt, Carthage, Rome, Barbarian, Greek, Eastern... I think there can only be 6 cultures. People in the same culture don't have to be the EXACT same, you should just choose the ones that are the most similar. They can still have different units and everything. Would it make sense to have all the elves as one culture? I've played Morowind and Oblivion, but I don't know much behind the story of their world.

And I think the rebels should vary. Sometimes it's just some normal people, other times slaves, other times demons.

Also, in the Elder Scrolls games, did some races, such as the Khajit actually have their own faction? I saw lots of them as slaves in Morowind.

Seign Thelas
12-25-2006, 08:18
They have their own nation, yes.

And I think the limit is 8 cultures. BI has Roman, Hun, Nomad, Barbarian, Eastern, Carthaginian, and then Greek and Egyptian, which aren't in the expansion, but the game has them listed in the file expanded_bi.

And the elves all look different so it wouldn't be good to have them as one culture. But Nords, Bretons, and Imperials could be one.

So the cultures would be (With Six as the limit):

Nord, Breton, Imperial: Human
Altmer, Bosmer, Dunmer: Elven
Orcs: Orcish
Redguard: Redguard
Khajit: Khajit
Argonian: Argonian

With 8:

Breton, Imperial, Nord: Human
Orcs: Orcish
Redguard: Redguard
Khajit: Khajit
Argonian: Argonian
Altmer: Altmeri
Dunmer: Dunmeri
Bosmer: Bosmeri

And good idea for the rebels.

SSJVegetaTrunks
12-25-2006, 21:03
Are we using BI or RTW? Which patch, too?

Seign Thelas
12-26-2006, 05:14
BI 1.6 will be easiest I think.

SSJVegetaTrunks
12-26-2006, 05:18
:( I don't have BI.

Seign Thelas
12-26-2006, 07:43
Well that's no good.

Meh. I don't know. Its just in the planning stages, we don't need a set-in-stone version just yet.

SSJVegetaTrunks
12-26-2006, 20:54
Ok. We should probably figure out what our map is going to look like. What cities will their be, how big will the map be, which factions will own which cities? Stuff like that.

Seign Thelas
12-27-2006, 07:05
We'll basically go by the map from www.elderscrolls.com

It's easiest because it has a lot of cities to start with and it has the beginning borders pretty set in stone.

Seign Thelas
12-27-2006, 07:11
Yeah, I counted, and there's 73 cities on the map, and 1 needs to be added for the Orcs to have a faction, so 74.

The one that needs to be added is Orsinium.

SSJVegetaTrunks
12-29-2006, 04:07
Ok, I'll take a look at the map.

I'm trying to learn how to make maps, but it seems quite confusing so it's going to take a while for me to "master" map-making, so until then let's concentrate on getting more people to join us and doing more planning.

EDIT: I can't find the map on elderscrolls.com, can you send me the link to the map?

Seign Thelas
01-02-2007, 00:29
http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/races_map.htm

SSJVegetaTrunks
01-02-2007, 02:18
Allright, thanks.

satanea juda
01-02-2007, 02:49
Umm, you guys might want to get in touch with King of Atlantis (Kscott), he made a map for this subject a while back, maybe he still has it.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50995

edit; oh and take note of the last post he makes, i don't know who TES are, i take it, 'the elder scrolls' but it seems you need permission from them.

Sheogorath
01-02-2007, 03:07
I could help out with the history and such, since Im fairly well versed in Tamriellic lore ;)

I might suggest that this takes place a few decades after Oblivion, during a revolution in the provinces, perhaps after Martin Septim dies. That way you have a viable excuse for having a bunch of different sides, as opposed to 'lulz everybody fites!'.

There could be some challenges in representing some states correctly, though. Bosmer and Altmer seem the most challenging, since by all appearances, the Altmer rely very heavily on magic. 'magic' effects in TW games generally appear rather...unimpressive. Usually just a missile unit that throws a ball of some sort.
The Bosmer rely on stealth and such, plus fanatics. The fanatics would be easy, obviously, but the archers and hit and run units might not.

Other than that, Im all for seeing the Legion in action. Daedra and their worshippers would be good rebels, as well as the bandits, marauders, necromancers (skeletons, anybody?), rouge mages, etc. etc.

One suggestion, perhaps making armies very expensive would be a good idea? It would more closely represent the Elder Scrolls nations reliance on 'Heros', as well as their smaller population.
I mean, remember, the Imperial City has, what, fourty people in it? ;)

Oh, and on the subject of mages, perhaps Mage and Fighters Guild units could be used as mercenaries?

Seign Thelas
01-02-2007, 04:44
Yeah, I was definitely thinking after Oblivion, where every nation claims its independence.

And I was thinking just normal size armies due to the fact that, its an RPG, and a limited amount of people are in the actual game because it would take monstrous amounts of Hard drive to make that many NPCs.

And for Battlemages and magic and the like, I was thinking to use something like the flaming catapult ammo, and re texture it for different types of magic, and perhaps putting 1 Battle Mage in each unit and making them general units, so they all have names. And that would work with very large or very small armies.

Stealth units wouldn't be hard at all. At least I don't think so.

For Dunmer we'd need guar mounts, and maybe special Ashlander units that have no upkeep. (very good hunters)

For the Khajit, they ride different species of their race into battle.

Argonians are very stealthy. So alot of stealth units would be suitable for them.

And for the starting rulers of each nation I think:

Imperial: Champion of Tamriel, we'd need a name. Either that or someone like one of the counts of the cities.

Reguard: Baurus? I don't know, I think people would put him above everyone else in the nation because of his involvement in overcoming the Oblivion crisis.

Dunmer: King Hlaalu Helseth, he's the king.

Altmer: Chancellor Ocato, but his name would be King Ocato. Obvious reasons if you know the game.

Bosmer: FARGOTHHHHH, him or Gaenor. Comic relief.

Khajit: No idea. Ma'iq? Haha.

Argonian: Don't know.

Orcs: Some Orc.

Breton: Jauffre.

Nords: Some Nord.

And for elves, they'd need to age slower, or something, if possible, just because they live about twice as long as people.

And if this is successful, maybe an Akaviri Invasion Expansion? Haha. Just wishful thinking.

Seign Thelas
01-02-2007, 04:57
Bethesda says no. But Bethesda isn't losing money from it. And its not for profit. AND its not that widely distributed. So they really can't say no.

Seign Thelas
01-02-2007, 05:01
Copyrights are corrupt. All I'm saying. And CA and Bethesda suck big time.

satanea juda
01-02-2007, 18:21
I take it you asked and were told 'No', well don't take it to badly, at least you found out sooner rather than later, i stummbled across an lotr mod for another game a while ago where they had about a year of work trashed when permission was refused.

Seign Thelas
01-02-2007, 19:18
They really didn't need to stop, the people who made the mod can just not put it for OPEN download.

Seign Thelas
01-02-2007, 19:32
I'm determined to get permission, so I'm sending an e-mail myself, maybe I can have better luck.

wlesmana
01-04-2007, 12:23
Bethesda says no. But Bethesda isn't losing money from it. And its not for profit. AND its not that widely distributed. So they really can't say no.

Yes, they can. It's their property. They can do whatever the hell they want with it.

SSJVegetaTrunks
01-04-2007, 22:51
I think he was saying they said no to the other mod attempt, but didn't explain that very well.

wlesmana
01-05-2007, 05:16
I know that. I was referring to him saying Bethesda cannot say no because the mod is non-profit and not widely distributed. They CAN because it's their property. Once they said "no" then the making of the mod is illegal, instead of being in the grey area if they never asked permission in the first place. Legality is hazy if they never said "no" or "yes".

Murfios
01-07-2007, 20:21
the map he suggested is cool

Murfios
01-18-2007, 22:25
I don't think argorian should have a standing army , they fight mostly in guerrila warfare. They cold be rebels or a unplayeble faction. Humans should be toghether.

Catintheoven
02-23-2007, 14:03
This sounds really good, I really want to get into modding, I edit a few text files in my games, I Like Finding Odd References Like Old Test Campaigns, I found A Character Called Eminem In M2TW.

How will the Diplomacy Work, some races are less likely to attack each other arent they? Will some Be set as aggressive such as the Imperials?

Catintheoven
02-23-2007, 14:11
Also Im Not Sure About The involvment of Daedra, after Martin defeated Mehrunes Dagon didnt that permanently seal away the planes of oblivion stopping Daedra entering Tamriel.

Also what roll do you see as pirates playing?