PDA

View Full Version : Mod folder installer

alpaca
12-26-2006, 16:00
The M2TW mod folder installer is a software that allows you to easily set up a mod folder with a custom name and ready-to-go in a few clicks. It's perfect for newbies that would just like to get their hands dirty as soon as possible, but it also saves a lot of time if you want to test something specific (in which case you simply install the barebones version).
For instructions on how to install it and run your game afterwards, please refer to the readme file.

Update May, 12th 2007

I forgot to remove descr_geography_new in 1.2 which caused a crash when starting battles, a thing 1.2.1 fixes. I also changed the script very slightly to include the last launcher setting (most launcher settings are still not used).

Version 1.2.1: Download (http://www.mizus.com/files/files/M2TW/tools/M2TW_mod_folder_1.2.1.rar)

Click "Show" for older stuff:
Update May, 11th 2007

I updated this to comply with M2TW version 1.2
Here's the changelog:

- Added launcher regkey capabilities
- Removed copying videos, links are changed now instead
- The map can be regenerated now
- In 1.2 loading screens work, so I removed them

v1.2: Download (http://www.mizus.com/files/files/M2TW/tools/M2TW%20mod%20folder%201.2.rar)

Well, I wrote this installer to make setting up a new mod folder as easy as possible.
It allows you to extract the game's data and (English) text files (included), copies the other required files from your installation, and allows to copy the sounds, videos and loading screens (using CA's unpacker) to a new directory called mymod.
It also generates a mymod.cfg file out of your current medieval2.preference.cfg and creates a mymod.bat to run the mod folder.

This should also set you up nicely if you're just starting modding.

Simply run the installer, and select your MTW2 directory as the installation directory.
Then select the components you want to install (you have to install the core files in order for the mod folder to work).

After the installation, I recommend to rename the mod folder, mymod.cfg and mymod.bat to a custom name (don't forget to change the "mod" entry in the renamed config file).

For modding, I also usually recommend adding the following lines under [video] in the config:

windowed = 1
movies = 0
This will run the game in a window and disable the splash movies on startup and campaign start.

Download (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=992)

Rik_Vargard
12-27-2006, 14:26
That's freakin' awesome! :2thumbsup:

Will have to try this once I have some files to install, actually :beam:

alpaca
12-28-2006, 21:39
This is not really to install files but to set up a working environment for editing files.

Goatbuster3000
01-17-2007, 03:38
Very nice! Thank you very much, alpaca!

ratbarf
02-02-2007, 22:34
Hmm... what is the io_file:first .bat thing anyway???? And what is a .rar file? Can it be decompressed using Winzip?

Also what is a Mod Folder?

AliAS
02-03-2007, 22:58
Modfolder create many folders what you need fo making own mod.
I think rar can be decompressed with WinZip but if cant, download WinRar

And Alpaca. Many thanks for this mod folder :-)

alpaca
05-11-2007, 23:38
Updated to version 1.2 which is M2TW 1.2 compatible only

Roman_Man#3
05-12-2007, 02:35
Thank you very much Alpaca. I am sure this will be a great help to anyone.

Cormaeg
05-12-2007, 11:57
Awesome, Alpaca! Many thanks!

Cormaeg
05-12-2007, 14:14
Hmmm...anyone know why I'm not getting sound when I use this?

Yikes! I'm not getting sound any longer in vanilla either! Wa hoppened?!!!

alpaca
05-12-2007, 17:24
Probably because I disabled it in my personal settings. Re-Enable it in the config ([sound]->enabled=true)

nickjer
05-12-2007, 18:18
I installed this very nice mod setup program, then decided to check it out. It loads perfectly and I enabled the sound. But when I play a battle, such as Britain attacking York. Once the battle screen loads, I can see the town and my units but the background is all white. Then I get a crash with an unspecified error.

I repeated the same thing with the vanilla and everything worked there. So was wondering how do I fix this battle screen problem? Thanks.

alpaca
05-12-2007, 21:35
Oops I forgot to remove descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt
Please do that and it should work.

Edit: Version 1.2.1 released to fix this

Russ Mitchell
05-14-2007, 22:07
(disregard: won't let me delete the post.)

Cormaeg
05-15-2007, 14:24
I'm assuming that you mean the medieval2.preference.cfg, correct?

Quote, "sound]->enabled=true". I am not seeing that line. Now in order to possibly correct the situation, I did try to change this line...

[audio]
enable = 0
to
[audio]
enable = 1
but it didn't fix it. Or are you saying that I should add that line? Or am I looking at the wrong file entirely?

Of course my file my be slightly different at this point, because since I couldn't correct it, I uninstalled, reinstalled, and just went back to 1.1.

alpaca
05-15-2007, 14:54
Right, it's [audio]->enable, sorry.
Did you actually let the installer copy the events.dat and events.evt files (i.e. you checked sounds for the installer)?
You could also manually copy those to your mymod/data/sounds directory

Cormaeg
05-15-2007, 16:53
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am going to try it again per your instructions. I should be able to get it working this time. *crosses fingers*

Cormaeg
05-16-2007, 02:54
Well, once again; I must thank you for this wonderful tool. I reinstalled 1.2 and then used your installer...and then checked the config, and I saw that you had changed that too, so that I did not need to change the file (but I did, because I do not like the window look)...but I cannot say how much of a boon you have created for those of us that are generally mystified at the complexity of this game and how it works.

:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

You've been so patient with me, and been so understanding of my inexperience with these things, and I do not know if this category exists on this forum, but if it does-I think you are worthy; so I hereby nominate Alpaca as the newest "God" in the pantheon of MIITW! Do I hear a second?

Icefrisco
05-18-2007, 20:15
Alpaca, this is the greatest thing for modding yet!:2thumbsup:

I have one question, when I load "MyMod" it does not load like mtw2. Instead the taskbar is visible and I can switch to my desktop. I am guessing this is done on purpose(it helped me change my map) but I would like to know how to get it to run like mtw2. When I run it with the taskbar showing the graphics are not as good so i want to run it so it runs like mtw2. I hope my question is not confusing! Thanks!

-arfrisco

alpaca
05-18-2007, 22:08
Alpaca, this is the greatest thing for modding yet!:2thumbsup:

I have one question, when I load "MyMod" it does not load like mtw2. Instead the taskbar is visible and I can switch to my desktop. I am guessing this is done on purpose(it helped me change my map) but I would like to know how to get it to run like mtw2. When I run it with the taskbar showing the graphics are not as good so i want to run it so it runs like mtw2. I hope my question is not confusing! Thanks!

-arfrisco
You have to open the config and set "windowed=0" instead of "windowed=1"
That'll run the game in full-screen.
I did it like that in the installer because a lot of newbies don't seem to know it, so I thought it doesn't hurt, because as you say yourself, it helps a lot when modding.

stilgar
06-06-2007, 17:28
Thanks you for your great work alpaca. I think it's very useful for modders;

I say I think because I can't download it, the link scrash when I want to run it

Please help me

alpaca
06-07-2007, 20:59
Thanks you for your great work alpaca. I think it's very useful for modders;

I say I think because I can't download it, the link scrash when I want to run it

Please help me
Do you mean you can't download it or you can't install it?

stilgar
06-08-2007, 12:50
I can't download it

alpaca
06-09-2007, 12:45
I can't download it
Weird, it works for me. Do you get an error message?

stilgar
06-09-2007, 20:04
There isn't any error message
My computer bug when I run the link and I had to quit internet with
ctrl + alt + supr

alpaca
06-09-2007, 20:07
There isn't any error message
My computer bug when I run the link and I had to quit internet with
ctrl + alt + supr
You might try using another browser, such as FireFox ~:P

stilgar
06-09-2007, 20:36
ok
I will
and thanks for your work

Beowulf47
08-10-2007, 07:04
I am trying to download the tool but I am told that I need to find WinRAR. Is there anywhere I can get this program free?

Beowulf47
08-11-2007, 02:46
sorry, figured it out.

Gilgamesh
08-11-2007, 08:28
I've just used the installer, but right now whenever I try and save a change I have made to a file (for instance change "Helsinki_Province" to "Finland") I am told that I
"cannot create the C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total
War\mymod\data\world\maps\Campaign\new_campaign\descr_regio
ns_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt file.

Make sure that the path and file name are correct"

Any idea why?

alpaca
08-11-2007, 15:49
Make sure that the files aren't set to be read-only (right-click->properties)

Gilgamesh
08-12-2007, 03:59
Um, (Heh heh) stupid question of the month: I can't find the "properties". Where is it?

JJ2335
08-12-2007, 06:54
Hi, I am wondering why some of the in-game movies don't play. The assassin movies and spy movies don't show but I get the new world, mongols, and timurids movies. I tried copying the fmv folder into mymod/data. Thanks.

alpaca
08-12-2007, 10:41
Um, (Heh heh) stupid question of the month: I can't find the "properties". Where is it?
Right-click on the file, it's in the context menu at the far bottom.

@JJ2335:
Actually all movies should be disabled. It could be that some scripted movies still show up though, I never played that far with videos disabled. You can enable all videos again by opening the config file of your mod and searching for the "movies=0" or "movies=false" entry and replacing it with "movies=1". I usually mod with movies disabled so that I don't have to skip the intro every time I start the game (which is really quite often).

Gilgamesh
08-13-2007, 05:32
Woo Hoo! That did the trick! Thanks a million!

Gilgamesh
08-13-2007, 06:43
Herm, maybe not. Every time I de-select the "read only" box every thing goes as planed, but the message telling me I can't save still pops up. I checked the properties menu again, and it automatically re-selected it! Every time I apply the changes, then check the properties, it as if I didn't do anything.

Ever herd of this before?

alpaca
08-13-2007, 11:54
You did click ok after removing the read-only flag, right?

Gilgamesh
08-13-2007, 20:58
Yes, and then it asks for administrator permission (but I'm the administrator so no worries), I click continue, and off it goes. It's as if I clicked "cancel" but I didn't.

I've also tried "apply changes" but the same thing happens.

Mr Frost
08-14-2007, 02:58
Can save games from the vanilla game be used in a mymod ?

I copied the saves from the Scots campaign I was playing , but the game CTDs just as the campaign is about to launch {right at the end of the loading processes} and the error is unspecified .
I used the 1.21 version of your program to create the mymod environment and I can successfully start campaigns from scratch and play custom battles .

Very annoying , I was enjoying that campaign and wanted to play it with more realistic unit stats etc .

Any idea what the problem is ? Can it be remedied ?
If not , is there a way to make the vanilla game recognize changes in the export_descr_units.txt as it seems to ignore these {I looked for a corresponding string file but didn't see one} ?

Signed: I. R. Frustrated
:help:

alpaca
08-14-2007, 23:51
Can save games from the vanilla game be used in a mymod ?

I copied the saves from the Scots campaign I was playing , but the game CTDs just as the campaign is about to launch {right at the end of the loading processes} and the error is unspecified .
I used the 1.21 version of your program to create the mymod environment and I can successfully start campaigns from scratch and play custom battles .

Very annoying , I was enjoying that campaign and wanted to play it with more realistic unit stats etc .

Any idea what the problem is ? Can it be remedied ?
If not , is there a way to make the vanilla game recognize changes in the export_descr_units.txt as it seems to ignore these {I looked for a corresponding string file but didn't see one} ?

Signed: I. R. Frustrated
Don't use saved games whenever you changed something unless you're 100% positive that the change is save-game compatible (and most things aren't). It just creates weird bugs.
I'd suggest finishing the campaign in vanilla if you had fun with it, and from then on play with your mod.

Yes, and then it asks for administrator permission (but I'm the administrator so no worries), I click continue, and off it goes. It's as if I clicked "cancel" but I didn't.

I've also tried "apply changes" but the same thing happens.
Uuuh, no idea. I don't think it should even ask you if you have admin rights.

Gilgamesh
08-15-2007, 07:58
Hoo boy.
I'll go get one of my techie friends. I'll get back to you if I find a solution.

Mr Frost
08-15-2007, 17:07
Don't use saved games whenever you changed something unless you're 100% positive that the change is save-game compatible (and most things aren't). It just creates weird bugs.
I'd suggest finishing the campaign in vanilla if you had fun with it, and from then on play with your mod.
Well , that's the odd thing ; I can't think of anything I changed that wouldn't be compatable . Just some very basic unit stat changes such as increasing Dismounted English Knights {and similar units} defensive skill to 8 , Scottish Nobles defensive skill to 8 and attack to 16 and upkeep to 200 , that sort of thing .

Thanks anyway though . I'll blame Bill Gates as usual :yes:

alpaca
08-15-2007, 17:49
Well , that's the odd thing ; I can't think of anything I changed that wouldn't be compatable . Just some very basic unit stat changes such as increasing Dismounted English Knights {and similar units} defensive skill to 8 , Scottish Nobles defensive skill to 8 and attack to 16 and upkeep to 200 , that sort of thing .

Thanks anyway though . I'll blame Bill Gates as usual :yes:
Why do you think unit stats would be save-game compatible? They're probably somehow saved (armor stats, ...)

Mr Frost
08-16-2007, 03:15
Why do you think unit stats would be save-game compatible? They're probably somehow saved (armor stats, ...)
They were in MTW and RTW as I remember ; it was adding or removing units that caused problems {something I haven't done yet} . Also , I've been changing them in the MyMod games I'm playing as I go and I haven't seen any problems there .

I think it must be something else . With millions of 1s and 0s arranged in complex and interdependent equations being what actually makes the game , it could be almost anything .
Like I said , it is Bill Gates fault ! Bad Bill Gates , naughty !:whip:

Mr Frost
08-22-2007, 08:26
Figured it out . Your program very slightly borked the map.rwm :oops: {in data/world/maps/base} so instead of a healthy 4350kb in weight with a fishing village in Nottingham it 'twas a slightly underfed 4343kb and the Nottingham coast was bare .
The village could not be found .:no:

Simply copping over the full map.rwm solved the problem . The Scottish campaign {not to be mistaken for the Scottish play , though one character makes a notable appearance in both} now works fine in the mod and all other modded savegames are happy with their nice new copy of map.rwm .
The village was returned safely home and lived happily ever after .:yes:

I can have my mod and play it too .:clown:

I still like the tool . :2thumbsup:

bggeneral
09-04-2007, 08:52
Is it possible to have this for Kingdoms too?
10X in advance!

alpaca
09-04-2007, 18:14
Is it possible to have this for Kingdoms too?
10X in advance!
No because I don't intend to buy kingdoms in the near future.

bggeneral
09-15-2007, 08:21
Any chance to have the same tool for Kingdoms?

alpaca
09-15-2007, 11:22
Any chance to have the same tool for Kingdoms?
Does anyone ever read threads :inquisitive:

Ferret
12-08-2007, 14:47
hey Alpaca, I'm trying to use this to install FH's kotr-fix and stainless steel at the same time but while I can run normal save-games fine whenever I try to load a KotR (a PBM at the throne room) I get an unspecified error. Any idea why this is?

alpaca
12-11-2007, 22:49
No idea, sorry.

Mek Simmur al Ragaski
03-27-2008, 13:09
What do you need to install this folder??? If you neeed any mods i dont have them, but if you dont need any, can i just install it straight away??? Also im a complete modding newbie, where do you put the folder, in the same directory as the descr_strat files???

alpaca
03-30-2008, 20:00
It should automatically choose your M2TW installation directory. If it doesn't, enter that.

Mek Simmur al Ragaski
03-31-2008, 01:05
Excuse me, sorry for my noobiness again, but i keep saving the folder in the M2TW directory, but i cant find it, i then stopped just before i downloaded it, and had a look where it was going to be saved, i saw the other file i tried to download, it was with a folder called tgas, can anybody tell me where this is, its really starting to annoy me, and also, if i copy a descr_strat file into this folder, then edit it to unlock all of the campaigns, and save it into the folder, will it work for the whole game, or will i have to disable the one that CA put there originally???

Ashtart
04-30-2008, 09:29
Excuse me for asking twice the question (in another tuts) but I would know what are the limits of Myfolder. In another tut I see you write there are problem with textures and I can't access to the link you give us. Can you explain me?

HistoryGuy
07-13-2008, 19:37
alpaca, please check your pms if you ever view these forums!

Now, the first time I used alpaca's mod folder installer, the mymod shortcut worked. After playing around within the files etc, I decided to delete all of the "mymod" stuff. I re-did the installer, and after attempting to launch the new shortcut, it gave me a "CA_LIBS" error. Any ideas on how to fix this? I was also wondering if there was a way to clear off the other mods and their names from the Launcher... once you click "Play".

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Chapien
09-24-2008, 19:33
Hmm... says I do not have permission to view the page...

irishron2004
09-25-2008, 08:11
alpaca, please check your pms if you ever view these forums!

Now, the first time I used alpaca's mod folder installer, the mymod shortcut worked. After playing around within the files etc, I decided to delete all of the "mymod" stuff. I re-did the installer, and after attempting to launch the new shortcut, it gave me a "CA_LIBS" error. Any ideas on how to fix this? I was also wondering if there was a way to clear off the other mods and their names from the Launcher... once you click "Play".

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

It means one of the libraries is now corrupted and time to totally uninsall the game and reinstall it. If you didn't keep backups of your work, sorry.

irishron2004
09-25-2008, 08:13
Hmm... says I do not have permission to view the page...

It means your fiewall probably has it blocked. Edit your firewall settings and try it, again.

Chapien
09-25-2008, 16:37
It means your fiewall probably has it blocked. Edit your firewall settings and try it, again.

I doubt that is the problem, as this is the message that pops up...

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /files/files/M2TW/tools/M2TW_mod_folder_1.2.1.rar on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

irishron2004
09-25-2008, 17:12
I doubt that is the problem, as this is the message that pops up...

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /files/files/M2TW/tools/M2TW_mod_folder_1.2.1.rar on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

You're right, I got it, too.
Then try this one: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=992, and good luck.

Chapien
09-26-2008, 15:43
Thanks! It worked!

irishron2004
09-26-2008, 19:20
You're welcome.

GLADIATOR4B
11-07-2008, 06:33
I downloaded your installer and tried to create a mod, but for some reason it won't let MTW2 open at all via the mod launcher or the batch file, even when I have made no changes whatsoever into the mod other than the name. When I use the provided shortcut it just pops up a tiny window with an ! and the letters "CA_LIBS" at the top. Running the batch file results int the same message except that it tells me that MTW2 has "suffered a fatal error and will now exit." I'm not sure what the problem is and it is certainly beyond my level of experience, so I was hoping that you can help.

twin1ne
01-23-2009, 00:55
I discovered the solution to Gilgamesh's problem posted earlier in the thread.

The 'read only' flag is set at the folder level (the data folder), preventing the editing of any files within, even if the file itself has no 'read only' flag.

simply remove the read only flag on the folder properties and your away. hope thishelps someone.

kayanat
03-12-2009, 07:46
Do people actually download through limewire software for graphics such as 3d max or even autocad?
i know it would be illegal, but do people actually do this? i mean is too risky to get dangerous viruses or is it almost common to easily download this programs? please answer those who have had experience with this, thanks.

Hernando_Cortes
12-15-2009, 06:44
hey alpaca, i like your mod, but for some reason my mods only work in the test run. when i copy the export_descr_unit file into the regular data folder, my game acts as if there have been no modifications. kinda frustrating. got any ideas?:juggle2:

discOtake
02-17-2010, 21:42
can anyone please send me the working download links of mymod 1.2.1? really appreciated!!!

FieJay
04-08-2012, 15:53
Hello,

I it is my first mod... So I've ran in to some problems with starting the mod.
I've installed it, no problems with it and I've added new regions(Other mod tutorial) to the original campaign map (in mod off course) and now the mod won't start.
It says: Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit.

I have the error log, what it says at the moment the game crashes:
15:27:22.679 [system.io] [warning] open: data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
15:27:22.681 [system.io] [warning] open: data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga.dds is missing
15:27:23.620 [system.io] [warning] open: data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
15:27:23.710 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_symbols_80/normans.tga is missing
15:27:23.710 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_faction_units/normans.tga is missing
15:27:23.711 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_symbols_80/saxons.tga is missing
15:27:23.711 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_faction_units/saxons.tga is missing
15:27:23.713 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_symbols_80/slave.tga is missing
15:27:23.713 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_faction_units/slave.tga is missing
15:27:23.718 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/_M2_MP_HISTORICAL_BATTLE_CHOOSE_TEAMS.TGA is missing
15:27:23.722 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/TEXTURES/_M2_MAIN_MENU.TGA is missing
15:27:24.284 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga.dds is missing
15:27:24.285 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/slider_composite.tga.dds is missing
15:27:24.286 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/slider_composite2.tga.dds is missing
15:27:24.287 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga.dds is missing
15:27:24.287 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/text_border.tga.dds is missing
15:27:24.288 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga.dds is missing
15:27:24.288 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga.dds is missing
15:27:24.289 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga.dds is missing
15:27:24.290 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds is missing
15:27:24.290 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds is missing
15:27:24.291 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/icons.tga.dds is missing

I would be glad if someo