PDA

View Full Version : Family trees and names in descr_strat

Dave1984
12-28-2006, 12:35
[re-posted from another thread as I think that one died]Hi, I've changed all the names in the descr_names and names.txt and descr_names_lookup and finally I come to descr_strat.

Now I want to change the names of the living characters at the start of the game.
So I change all instances of them and the game boots but bumps me back to the menu when I try to start the campaign. The error message I get simply says

13:59:36.311 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2216, column 47
could not find next child. Children list must be terminated with an end

Looking at the relevant section in strat, it is a point about halfway through the first line of the relatives section, and is actually in the middle of a name. There is definitely an , end bit, and the format is all exactly the same as other trees.

So how can I get this to work?

Not changing the names and leaving them as their defaults causes the game to load fine, but the characters are all named ; and only the faction leader appears on the family tree, meaning of course that there is no heir and you have to wait for him to adopt a child or marry a new woman in order to start generating characters on the family tree. However all characters that are recruited or adopted or born or appear or whatever after the start of the game are given the new names I have added perfectly and correctly.

Obviously having to wait for an adoption to kickstart your family tree at the start of a campaign is not a great idea, so can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Help is much appreciated, thanks.

HaroldVonBraver
12-29-2006, 16:21
This is something I also would like to know. I haven't been able to figure it out. I basically gave up.

I had the same problem. I did exactly what you did and it still didn't work. The only family member that I could make the change to was the Faction Leader. I was able to change the name (using the names already on the descr_names.txt) and age of the Faction Leader with no apparent crashes or changes to the family tree.

Once your Faction Leader has no wife on the family tree, it's basically screwed. It will not work right. So unless you see a definite wife for your Faction Leader I would say it worked correctly.

Dearmad
01-07-2007, 08:26
anyone? bump bump.

Lopus
02-19-2007, 14:22
Hmmm ... just check your spelling carefully against the ones in your descr_names and descr_names_lookup and in the names files. Also, did you delete the old names string? Lastly, did you delete the map.rwm. It should work perfectly.