PDA

View Full Version : HowTo: Set up MTW2 for modding

alpaca
12-28-2006, 22:44
You can quote or link to this tutorial at wish, but please don't mirror it. This is required to keep discussion about it all in one place.

Setting up MTW2 for modding

In this tutorial I want to walk you through the necessary or at least very useful steps to set up a working modding environment.

This can be done using one (or both) of two different ways:
- Creating mod folders
- Making the game recognize files you put in the data directory (using the io.file_first switch)

Both ways have their own advantages and disadvantages, but overall I feel that mod folders should be the first choice, unless you want to do something they don't support (more on that later), but I will nonetheless describe both methods.

1. Getting the files

Well, the first step of setting up your game will always be unpacking the data files, no matter if you want to use mod folders or io.file_first.
To do this, you have to have patch 1.1 installed. If you do, you should be able to find a directory called "tools" inside your MTW2 directory, and inside that, you will find a folder named "unpacker".
To unpack all the game's data files, simply run unpack_all.bat - this will take a while, so be warned. After the program's finished, open your data directory (inside your MTW2 directory) and delete or rename descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt (this is important - if you don't do it, your game won't run)

Information for advanced users:
I recommend editing unpack_all.bat to not unpack into your vanilla data directory, but into a subfolder. This way, you can always keep a clean copy of the files.
To do this, open up the batch file and edit it like this:

unpacker.exe --source=..\..\packs\*.pack --destination=..\..\backup --verbosity=1
That will unpack the files into a directory called backup inside your MTW2 folder.

You should also copy the data/world/maps/base and data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign folders to this directory

1.1 Converting the text files

The next step after unpacking is due to the fact that the game stores the localised text in files with the extension .strings.bin - however in order to edit them, you want to have them in .txt format (UTF-16 if you know what that is). The game will then automatically generate the .strings.bin files from these txt files.
I wrote a useful python script that allows batch conversion of these files. You can find it here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75229)
Usage instructions can be found in the read-me file for the tool.

1.2 Alternative: Directly editing the .strings.bins

pmcorp wrote a nice tool that allows you to edit the .strings.bin files directly. I prefer converting them and editing them in my favourite text editor, but I guess some people prefer to directly edit the bin files.
Further, this tool allows you to edit the files my converter can't convert, so you should definitely get it at least for that end (click here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=993)).
Be aware that you will have to install the .net frameset before being able to use this (get it here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en) or the 64-bit version here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b44a0000-acf8-4fa1-affb-40e78d788b00))

2. Mod folder vs. io.file_first

In the next step, you will have to decide whether you want to use a mod folder, or the io.file_first switch for your working environment. To easy your decision, I will state some of the advantages/disadvantages for both methods:

Mod folders:
pro:
- You can have multiple mods at once without them interfering with each other
- When changing mods you don't have to switch out any files
- Savegames, preferences, etc. can be kept separately for each mod

contra:
- Not all files are supported, this includes textures. For more information, visit this link (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75185)
- Slightly harder to set up

io.file_first:
pro:
- Supports all editable files
- Slightly easier to set up

contra:
- When changing mods you have to switch out all modified files
- Savegames, preferences, etc. have to be switched out, too
- You will always overwrite your unpacked files

3. Setting up a mod folder

The easiest way to set up a new mod folder is probably using my mod folder installer (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=76099)
It will allow you to easily set up a mod folder with all the necessary files.
For manual instructions, click on show:
First of all, create a new folder inside your MTW2 directory called "mymod" (you can replace mymod with anything you like, as long as you keep replacing it throughout the rest of this section).

3.1 Creating a new config

To do this, copy your medieval2.preference.cfg file and name the copy "mymod.cfg"
Then open "mymod.cfg" with a text editor and add the following to the top:

[features]
mod = mymod

[log]
to = logs/system.log.txt
level = * error
The first setting tells the game the mod folder in which it should look for files, the second enables error logging to a custom error log file which is highly recommended, but not exactly required.

3.2 Necessary files

Before proceeding, please create a data folder inside your "mymod" folder.
In order for your mod folder setup to work, you will have to copy data/world/maps/base and data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign, as well as text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt to your "mymod" directory, leaving the directory structure intact (i.e. data/world/maps/base should go to mymod/data/world/maps/base, etc.)

3.3 Optional files

On top of this, you may want to copy the following:
- To enable sounds, data/sounds/events.dat and data/sounds/events.idx
- To enable loading screens, data/loading_screen
- To enable event videos, data/fmv

Of course, you should also copy any files you want to edit into the data directory of your mod folder.

3.4 Batch file creation

In order to be able to start your game using your mod folder, create a new text file inside your MTW2 directory called mymod.bat
Open it (right-click, edit) and write this into it:

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

Congratulations. If everything worked, you should now be able to run the game with your mod directory by starting mymod.bat

4. Setting up io.file_first

4.1 Creating a new config

To do this, copy your medieval2.preference.cfg file and name the copy "mymod.cfg"
Then open "mymod.cfg" with a text editor and add the following to the top:

[io]
file_first = 1

[log]
to = logs/system.log.txt
level = * error
This will tell the game to use the files it finds in the data directory instead of those in the packs.
It will also enable error logging to a custom error log, which is highly recommended, but not strictly necessary.

In order to be able to start your game using this config, create a new text file inside your MTW2 directory called mymod.bat

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

Congratulations. If everything worked, you should now be able to run the game with your unpacked files by starting mymod.bat

5. Testing

An easy test is editing a screen text file (for example text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt) and replacing one entry with something different. If your change shows up in the game, you're set up fine. I usually do something like changing

{London} Londonto
{London} The Moloch
If you then start the game as the English, London should (more or less) rightfully be called "The Moloch" - if it isn't, your modding environment is not set-up correctly.

6. The error log

This doesn't really fit here, but as it is probably somewhat of a beginner tutorial, I want to make sure you understand how important the error log is.
Remember what you added into your config file:
[log]
to = logs/system.log.txt
level = * error
This tells the game to create an error log in the MTW2/logs folder called system.log.txt

A lot of common errors will be shown in this log, so if something doesn't work, or the game crashed, it's a good idea to check this log file before doing anything else.
As you are a beginner, it will probably tell you what's wrong in at least 50% of the cases, and although its usefulness will decrease slightly once you're getting more experienced, it will still be a routine action to check this file every time you quit the game.
The progression for log levels is trace<info<warn<debug<err<fatal<always
Usually, the most useful one is level = * err or level = * error because it will show you the errors you make (like spelling mistakes and so on) without giving a lot of unnecessary info. However, if you're creating triggers or scripts and want to test them you should use level = game.script.* trace as it will yield all the info about the scripting side of the game, including triggers.
I don't think there are any debug messages in the retail exe so debug is the same level as err
The warn level can be useful sometimes if you want info about missing files and so on but you'll have to dig through a lot of stuff to find it.
There's a few issues with this file, for example you can't guarantee when it writes the log unless you close the game. So it may be a good idea to only test one thing at a time and then close the game again in order to be able to catch as many problems as possible.

DukeofSerbia
12-29-2006, 13:24
1.1 Converting the text files

The next step after unpacking is due to the fact that the game stores the localised text in files with the extension .strings.bin - however in order to edit them, you want to have them in .txt format (UTF-16 if you know what that is). The game will then automatically generate the .strings.bin files from these txt files.
I wrote a useful python script that allows batch conversion of these files. You can find it here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=75229)
Usage instructions can be found in the read-me file for the tool.

Hello alpaca.

I found that somebody in TWC make .bin editor and it actually open .bin files like Notepad .txt. Is it possible to direct modify .bin files or I need to convert it in .txt (probably stupid question but...)?

alpaca
12-29-2006, 20:03
Hello alpaca.

I found that somebody in TWC make .bin editor and it actually open .bin files like Notepad .txt. Is it possible to direct modify .bin files or I need to convert it in .txt (probably stupid question but...)?

Well I didn't try his tool. If it works, then you can directly modify them.
However, converting them to .txt files has the advantage that you only need a tool once, whereas editing them directly forces you to use it all the time for every editing step.

Anyways, if you can confirm that this tool works I can add it to this tutorial, at least to edit the files my converter doesn't convert.

Valentine82
12-31-2006, 18:46
Thanks a ton man, I needed this, and so does everyone new to modding MTW 2. Everyone else seems to already know most of it from RTW or assume you already know all the basics.

:iloveyou: :crown: :egypt:

alpaca
01-01-2007, 19:02
Thanks a ton man, I needed this, and so does everyone new to modding MTW 2. Everyone else seems to already know most of it from RTW or assume you already know all the basics.

:iloveyou: :crown: :egypt:
Well the problem is rather that nobody wants to bother and has the time to write tutorials apparently. I don't have enough time, either ;)

FvkinFrustrated
01-02-2007, 06:55
I am sooo fvkin p1ssed off right now, i install m2tw, install the 1.1 patch, try and run the unpack_all batch file and get a fvkin error, (This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem) so, i copied the unpack_all into my main m2tw install folder in which this MSVCP71.dll file is and run the unpacker...
the file doesnt give me an error and seems to be working... Do you agree to these terms and conditions (Y/N) so i type Y and enter, then it informs me that this program may damage my install of m2tw, read the read me and would you like to continue (Y/N) so i type Y and enter, next it informs me this will overwrite files in the target folder, are you sure you would like to continue (Y/N) i type Y and enter...then thats fvkin it, the program closes and thats it...NOTHING, FVK ALL, JACK SH1T, Im soooooo FVKIN P1SSED OFF, all I FVKIN WANNA DO IS MOD THE UNIT STATS, THATS IT, AND I HAVE TO GO ABOUT ALL THIS B.S TO DO THAT, unlike rtw the data files were alrdy unpacked and in txt format, y is it so hard to fvkin get this done, y couldnt they just make the tree structure and layout like rtw, like fvk, im sooooo fvkin p1ssed, im goin to fvkin burn this godamn game b4 the night ends...FVK, what the fvk am i doing wrong, i follow the tutorial word 4 word, and that dont work, like fvk, someone let me know what the fvk is wrong with what im doin......FVK

FvkinFrustrated
01-02-2007, 07:02
The Unpacker should be placed in the 'tools\unpacker' folder of your
Medieval II: Total War installation folder

- To unpack all files and place them in your 'data' directory run
the batch file 'unpack_all.bat'

NOTE: To use this batch file the Unpacker and the batch file must
be in the 'tools\unpacker' folder for Medieval II: Total War

- To create a text file with a list of all files within the packs
run the batch file 'list_contents.bat'. This will create a file
'pack_contents.txt' in the 'tools\unpacker' folder;

NOTE: To use this batch file the Unpacker and the batch file must
be in the 'tools\unpacker' folder for Medieval II: Total War

YA thats nice to know...but it gives me that error, MSVCP71.dll was not found..........when i run the unpacker from the tools folder....FVK

alpaca
01-02-2007, 14:13
Mate, watch your language please. Rants against CA have no right of existence in this thread.
Especially not if you use swearwords.

Try editing your unpack_all.bat so that it says:

unpacker.exe --source=packs\*.pack --destination=. --verbosity=1

Then run it from your MTW2 main directory.

DukeofSerbia
01-08-2007, 11:22
Well I didn't try his tool. If it works, then you can directly modify them.
However, converting them to .txt files has the advantage that you only need a tool once, whereas editing them directly forces you to use it all the time for every editing step.

Anyways, if you can confirm that this tool works I can add it to this tutorial, at least to edit the files my converter doesn't convert.

My computer is on upgrade and when it backs I will check and post results here.

Anyway,

What about Python? I downloaded Python 2.5 Windows installer but I see Python 2.5 Windows AMD64 installer?
What is Python 2.5 Windows AMD64 installer? What is this? I ask that because I have AMD Athlon64 and have they some connections or not? :help:

alpaca
01-08-2007, 14:17
My computer is on upgrade and when it backs I will check and post results here.

Anyway,

What about Python? I downloaded Python 2.5 Windows installer but I see Python 2.5 Windows AMD64 installer?
What is Python 2.5 Windows AMD64 installer? What is this? I ask that because I have AMD Athlon64 and have they some connections or not? :help:
Well as it says, it's the installer for AMD 64bit CPUs, so if you have one of those, download the AMD64 version. It's probably not strictly necessary but probably has some more features and/or optimizations.

DukeofSerbia
01-08-2007, 20:14
Thank you alpaca. I will download Python 2.5 Windows AMD64 installer.

mmarekk11
01-09-2007, 20:55
I ve got the same problem like FvkinFrustrated.So i copied all files similar to msvcp71.dll from main install folder to Tools\Unpacker.I run unpack_all and it asked me the same questions like Fvkin wrote.But when i type Y for all it was working.BUT I COULDNT EDIT IT BECAUSE THERE WAS TOHSE FVKIN QUESTIONS.Well anyway it runs, but i want to edit it like you have recommended.
Would you know how to do that? :help:

alpaca
01-09-2007, 22:03
You edit batch files by right-clicking them and press on edit... I wrote it's for advanced users for a reason because I wouldn't recommend changing it if you don't know what you're doing ;)

mmarekk11
01-09-2007, 23:20
Yeah it is ok now :2thumbsup: :beam: .And i find a topic Mod folder installer and downloaded tool also.However i quiet didnt understand it. I have to install it to the BACKUP file wehre i unpacked M2TW?

alpaca
01-10-2007, 00:11
No, you install it to your MTW2 folder and then copy the files you want to edit into it from your backup folder.

mmarekk11
01-10-2007, 20:35
So i chose a way to creat a mod folder.I did all like u wrote and wanted to make some test.
5. Testing

An easy test is editing a screen text file (for example text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt ) and replacing one entry with something different. If your change shows up in the game, you're set up fine.

In the text file you wrote i changed this [code]{Palermo}Palermo
{Palermo_Province}Palermo Region
to this

{MAfiano}Mafiano
{Mafiano_Province}Mafiano Region

And the change didnt show.There still was Palermo.How to do that?

mmarekk11
01-10-2007, 20:42
Of course 1. MAfiano i rename to right Mafiano and still didnt change in game.

mmarekk11
01-10-2007, 21:04
I renamed it in mymod/data/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and in backup/data/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt .In which folder of this two do i have to rename it?

And can i edit my post on this forum?Because if i forget to write something i always must write a new post and cant edit previous.

alpaca
01-10-2007, 22:01
Junior members can't edit their posts.
Anyways, try just to change the right hand part of the settlement names, this is the part that actually holds the screen name. The left hand part is the internal name, if you want to change that, you have to change a few more files (not exactly sure which).
You should also make sure to check the system.log.txt file in your MTW2/logs directory.

mmarekk11
01-10-2007, 22:13
Yes I changed it. But i made one more mistake befere.Before i could start the campaign(already in game).But i didnt copy mymode.cfg to main M2TW folder but to mymode folder. Now i copied it to main and when in game click on GRAND CAMPAIGN it shows me: PLEASE SELECT AN ITEM FROM THE LIST.
:help:

mmarekk11
01-11-2007, 20:29
And could i change and apply textures (when i chose way of MOD FOLDERS) if i write to mymod.cfg also [io]
file_first = true

If not,is it able to change and apply textures in way of creating MOD FOLDERS?
And pls answer my previous question too.But i could do a mistake somewhere too so i check it one more time.

alpaca
01-11-2007, 22:00
You need the world/maps/base and world/maps/campaigns/imperial_campaign folders from the data folder.

And if you want to use file_first you need to put the files into your mtw2/data dir, they won't be used from the mod folder.

mmarekk11
01-11-2007, 23:20
Everythings ok now.I tried both ways and and with each i succesfully changed name of the city.
I am starting to understand modding :jumping: and week ago didnt have any idea how to mod.Well it is only begin.
Thank you alpaca.You are boss.You know everything. :beam:

gary
01-12-2007, 12:57
Hi there, i am just starting up and what i would like to do is to in the future install different skins,ect.
I understand step on, though i did this last night i did not deleat these files
descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt
when i loaded up the game to play custom battle, just befor it started it crashed. i dont really want to do any modding i am not that confidant But i would like to install other peoples work/skins and othe stuff. I am playing LTC at the mo.
What i am asking is, step 1.2 seems confusing,do i need to go through step1.2 in order to install skins and stuff?
Thank you Great forum

alpaca
01-12-2007, 14:18
Hi there, i am just starting up and what i would like to do is to in the future install different skins,ect.
I understand step on, though i did this last night i did not deleat these files
descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt
when i loaded up the game to play custom battle, just befor it started it crashed. i dont really want to do any modding i am not that confidant But i would like to install other peoples work/skins and othe stuff. I am playing LTC at the mo.
What i am asking is, step 1.2 seems confusing,do i need to go through step1.2 in order to install skins and stuff?
Thank you Great forum
Well if you only want to use mods by other people, you probably don't have to follow section 1. at all.

gary
01-12-2007, 14:20
well, i think i would have to unpack them, the data that is, in order to copy and paste skins, i guess,

alpaca
01-12-2007, 14:22
Hmm ya that's true, I don't know my own tutorials...
Well, then ignore steps 1.1 and 1.2 ;)

DukeofSerbia
01-12-2007, 21:11
alpaca

I finally got my computer from upgrade and installed M2 TW, unpacked and used Python 2.5 Windows AMD64 installer. It can't be installed even I have AMD Athlon64. :thumbsdown: But ordinary can. :2thumbsup:

I have one, maybe stupid question:

Can I erase all those files which I unpacked as I don't need them? I see many RTW-BI files :inquisitive: which just slow down performances.

alpaca
01-13-2007, 00:17
alpaca

I finally got my computer from upgrade and installed M2 TW, unpacked and used Python 2.5 Windows AMD64 installer. It can't be installed even I have AMD Athlon64. :thumbsdown: But ordinary can. :2thumbsup:

I have one, maybe stupid question:

Can I erase all those files which I unpacked as I don't need them? I see many RTW-BI files :inquisitive: which just slow down performances.
You shouldn't delete any files. If you want to mod them, you'll have to have at least those that you want to mod (and maybe a few more). You can move them to a backup directory and only copy those to your modding folder/data folder that you actually want to work on, though.

Psyco
01-16-2007, 05:48
Wow do I feel dumb. Reading through some random threads, I learned that after extracting the patch, you actually have to install it.
I apologize for this waste of space.

grinningman
01-17-2007, 00:49
Hey alpaca, you might want to mention that your mod folder installer doesn't delete or rename descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt. I know you mention this when you talk about unpacking the files, but it's not clear that this is still required if you use your installer (and it took me a while to work out why my modded version kept crashing ~:) ).

Apart from that the installer is excellent - thanks heaps for putting it together!

alpaca
01-17-2007, 18:17
Hey alpaca, you might want to mention that your mod folder installer doesn't delete or rename descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt. I know you mention this when you talk about unpacking the files, but it's not clear that this is still required if you use your installer (and it took me a while to work out why my modded version kept crashing ~:) ).

Apart from that the installer is excellent - thanks heaps for putting it together!
Hum, maybe I'll just write "DELETE THIS" in bold ;)
I didn't say it's optional though, so why didn't you delete it?

dzzirt
02-06-2007, 20:48
Doh i might sound stupid, but ive got a problem whith using this guide.

So my steps were :

1. installed v 1.1 --> ran unpack_all.bat ---> deleted descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt in m2tw/data

2. Converted text files using script (installed python ---> unpacked alpaca's MTW2 .strings.bin converter into m2tw/data/text directory and ran it

3. downloaded, ran the Mod folder installer , and selected mine MTW2 directory as the installation directory, chosen all of the componets (actually it was default setting) to install ---> installed.

4. Now there was the problem - tried to test.... :
- opened text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and changed {London}London to {London}Supadupacity

- started game using mymod.bat (cant see extension, so its only mymod for me) ---> game loaded ---> started English campaing ---> London is still London there :(((

QUESTION: what did i wrong here ???

dzzirt
02-06-2007, 21:06
- opened text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and changed {London}London to {London}Supadupacity

Edited this file both in mymod directory and in normal one - still doesnt work :(

dzzirt
02-06-2007, 21:36
Tried to create and edit mymod.cfg aswell - doesnt work, but it worked when i added
[io]
file_first = 1

[log]
to = logs/system.log.txt
level = * error

to the top of original medieval2.preference.csfg :/

think ive messed up with extension of mine mymod.cfg file (so it is actually mymod.cfg.txt now or smthing like that)

How to work with extensions in windows?? So i can find it out

zuli
02-09-2007, 14:28
How to work with extensions in windows?? So i can find it out

Right-click on the file and see Properties. There you see full name of the file and can edit it.

You might also want to set the extensions visible all the time:

In Explorer go to 'Tools > Folder options...'
On 'View'-tab uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'
I'm not sure if you need to click on 'Apply to all folders', but it wont hurt.

---

I'd have a question of the mod folders. I'm a bit confused, full day of reading these forums and all i got was a broken mod folder in the end :)

I followed all the way through Step 3 of this tutorial and got a working mod folder set up. I edited a starting leader of a campaign, traits and name, got it working just fine.

Now i would like to make new traits. So i need to tamper with the .string.bin files. But when i unpack the packs into my modfolder, edit the needed text files for my liking, and delete the original .string.bin's, the game wont start.

Trace logs show that the game crashes when loading 'filter.san' file, and atleast once got past that and crashed when loading 'preferenses\player.txt'. Which both seem like they have nothing to do with the crash, since i havent touched them at all.

Well, my traits prolly crash the thing, but thats another matter.

What i'd like to know is if this is the right way to do things?

Do tutorial Step 3 (setup the modfolder)
Unpack packs to modfolder
Unpack .string.bin's and edit them
Delete the originals
Game generates new bins and voila...

I wouldnt want to mess up the games own data folder with unpacking there, and i read somewhere that the game wont even generate new string.bins from text files in its own folders. So i tought the modfolder was the way to go.

Geez, this came out long. Anyways, any advice will be appreciated :)

lismore
02-15-2007, 13:08
Hi

I downloaded the patch and extracted.

Sorry if this is a silly question.........to change unit stats for the main camapiuagn would I go into:

medieval2totalwar/data/export_descr_unit.txt

Or does the path need to be different? I tried to edit one or two and nothing changed.

Thanks

VVLAJX
02-20-2007, 14:23
Hi i tryed to set up mtw2 I DO EVERYTHING FINE AND I TRYED TO RENAME LONDON INTO THE MOLOCH.:help: :help: :help: WHAT TO DO NOW:help: :help: PLEASE

Zain
02-23-2007, 01:27
I've got everything working, the mymod thing, everything's unpacked, I can edit everything now. BUT, the .bin to .txt converter is asking me a question I can't answer.

I downloaded the Python thing, and have the entire folder of the converter in data/text. Now, every time I select the convert_all.bat it asks me to select a program to run it from. I browsed around and selected every .exe in Python, but nothing's working. Anything to help?

-Zain

Mighty Oggy
02-23-2007, 15:23
I've got everything working, the mymod thing, everything's unpacked, I can edit everything now. BUT, the .bin to .txt converter is asking me a question I can't answer.

I downloaded the Python thing, and have the entire folder of the converter in data/text. Now, every time I select the convert_all.bat it asks me to select a program to run it from. I browsed around and selected every .exe in Python, but nothing's working. Anything to help?

-Zain

I'm having exactly the same problem.:wall:

Mighty Oggy
02-23-2007, 17:32
Strange, now it works!

Zain, keep trying. I had exactly the same and now it works (I didn't do anything)

adembroski
02-24-2007, 23:25
Since I am not an "advanced user", is keeping a clean copy of the contents of the data folder backed up an effective alternative to editing unpack_all.bat?

adembroski
02-24-2007, 23:30
Same issue as the others with london... followed instructions explicitly, twice. You've gotta be missing something here... it's not working. Further, I'm getting CTD everytime I try to start a battle in either the mod or the vanilla game.

Zain
02-25-2007, 17:24
I got everything working!

adembroski
02-25-2007, 19:55
So can I run the vanilla game using the io.file_first method??!

adembroski
02-28-2007, 00:32
Issue resolved for me...

to those having problems getting the London named changed, make sure your config file is named 'mymod.cfg' and not 'mymod.cfg.cfg'. If mymod.bat can't find mymod.cfg, it will grab the default preferences (even so far as to create it's own preferences file if one is not present). Then it's running the vanilla game and your modifications wont show up.

Zain
02-28-2007, 13:37
I have a question concerning converting the text files...

To have a change noticed in the Text folder, must I first delete the BIN file that coordinates with it? ex: text.txt and text.bin?

Thanks, this isn't a big deal, so take your time.

:coffeenews:

-Zain

Lusted
02-28-2007, 15:15
Yes you need to delete the .string.bin file, the game will then make a new one from your modified .txt file.

adembroski
02-28-2007, 22:18
As i have learned, you wanna ask questions in the questions forum... people don't really look for them here.

Zain
03-01-2007, 00:11
My target answerers are the people on this specific thread. Thanks for the advice though, but I know what I'm doing.

Suraknar
03-06-2007, 08:39
I been looking in to the approach between Mymod Folder and IO file first.

And, (correct me if my asumption if false), Mymod folder is a nice "overide" way of making and distributing certain mods, yet IO file first is more suited for Conversions and Larger mods.

Yes?

alpaca
03-06-2007, 14:51
No, if a mod folder worked with all files, it should be the preferred method of distributing any mod because it doesn't disturb the original data and you can have multiple mods installed at the same time, whereas file_first is "messy".

So, I hope that after the 2nd patch, I can finally forget about file_first and simply propose using a mod folder to everybody.

TotalWarVet
03-14-2007, 20:55
I used to architect/design/write software for a living, so forgive me for raising the following issue and being so verbose.

By the way, are you a unix/linux guy (use/ instead of MS \in your directory/path descriptions :beam: ).

I believe I've done as instructed in this tutorial, but game refuses to startup.

I have a full backup installation on a seperate drive which is the starting point for me. Copied the whole darn thing.

Game .exe and all files in f:\games\Medieval II Total WarMod\ directory and associated subtrees just as in original install. Game runs just fine when dblclick medieval2.exe (can call up/load save games etc.).

I've created a f:\games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods folder and replaced mymod references in your tutorial with mods.

Ran the unpacker and then deleted the descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt files as instructed.

So now I have two \data trees.

The original one f:\games\Medieval II Total WarMod\data and the one I'll be using for mods in f:\games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods\data which contains all the unpacked text and strings.bin files as well as the data/world/maps/base and data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign (sic).

Furthermore, I've copied the full fmv and world subtrees from the original \data.

So now I have a full set of files and directory subtrees in mods\data (including animations, banners,...,fmv,...,vegetation, world). I've taken the original strings.bin files that where generated by unpacker in \text subdirectory and subsequently converted by your strings.bin converter and moved them to \text\OrigStringsBin. The unconverted strings.bin files I left in \text.

Aside: By the way, it looks like M2SBE strings.bin file manipulation tool only works with the same files your tool does. Have an email in to author asking for clarification. :inquisitive:

At this point, I edited the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt as directed and attempted to run the game, but alas no luck. I've dblchecked everything and all seems fine.

Here is the error log generated while trying to run game.

14:47:20.183 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
14:47:20.183 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Dec 5 2006 version development ===
14:47:20.243 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
14:47:20.283 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
14:47:20.363 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
14:47:20.414 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
14:47:20.454 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
14:47:20.484 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack

Could it be that I have too much stuff in mods\data? Should I move some of this somewhere else? Wanted full set of files in one place for easy modification.

:help:

alpaca
03-15-2007, 13:29
If you edited imperial_campaign_settlement_names.txt but didn't delete the .strings.bin file that might be the culprit.

And I'm not really a Linux guy (I use it at the uni but at home I mostly use my PC for playing or modding and you do that under Windows), but in Unix environments (as well as in programming) you have to actually enter pathnames a lot more often than you usually do under windows, so I got used to the forward slashes :sweatdrop:

TotalWarVet
03-15-2007, 21:41
"If you edited imperial_campaign_settlement_names.txt but didn't delete the .strings.bin file that might be the culprit."

As I stated in my earlier post I did move all .strings.bin files that were coverted by the strings.bin converter into a subdirectory of \text called
\text\OrigStringsBin.

I have a feeling that I may have more files than I need or maybe should have.

Here is a another representation of the directory tree and files. Maybe you can shed some light on this.

f:\Games\Medieval II Total WarMod\

1) contains medieval2.exe and all other game files in original install. I also have mods.bat, mods.cfg (analogous to mymod.bat/.cfg) added by me.

2) contains a full directory subtree as in game original install
(\data, \logs, \miles .... \tools) I also have \mods subdirectory added by me.

f:\Games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods contains the following:

a subdirectory \data and some text files containing modding ideas (no name overlap). It also contains an empty \packs folder after I tried to run mod.bat.

f:\Games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods\data contains the following:

subdirectories containing the unpacked files generated by the unpacker.
(\animations ... \world) plus the games original \fmv and \worlds subdirectories and their files and subtrees.

f:\Games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods\data\text contains the following:

files generated by strings.bin converter (includes imperial_campaign_settlement_names.txt) plus those strings.bin files not converted. All the original unconverted versions of the converted files were placed in a subdirectory of text called OrigStringsBin

(f:\Games\Medieval II Total WarMod\mods\data\text\OrigStringsBin)

I must be missing something obvious as this can't be that hard. :wall:

TIA
:2thumbsup:

alpaca
03-15-2007, 22:13
Did you try using my modfolder installer? The minimal setup for a mod folder is:
data/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
data/world/maps/base
data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign

You could also try it with that and then simply add to it what you mod (that's my usual approach).

adembroski
03-24-2007, 15:51
I just noticed this and might be the root of an issue someone above had...

The mod folder installer does not create the preferences file, only the folder, batch file, and shortcut. The part in the mod folder section should be edited to point this out, by taking the preferences file part out of the hidden section.

alpaca
03-25-2007, 14:51
I just noticed this and might be the root of an issue someone above had...

The mod folder installer does not create the preferences file, only the folder, batch file, and shortcut. The part in the mod folder section should be edited to point this out, by taking the preferences file part out of the hidden section.
Hmm it should create the cfg file, too. You'll have to have a vanilla m2 config in the folder though, as it copies that. Otherwise you could check if a file called modfixer.bat is created and try to run that.

methoz
03-26-2007, 22:42
can i edit cost and stats ? and how to?

bearkiss
04-01-2007, 13:03
I also have the same question!
Please help in editing stats!
I've tried to rewrite the attack and hit points of some units in export_descr_unit, but nothing have changed yet.

alpaca
04-01-2007, 14:20
I also have the same question!
Please help in editing stats!
I've tried to rewrite the attack and hit points of some units in export_descr_unit, but nothing have changed yet.
Then your game is probably not set up right...
Try to get the mod folder/file_first to work properly before you start on editing other stuff.

Miloshus
04-02-2007, 20:23
Im realy confused when modding, but when Im triing to make MTW2 ready for modding, I often forget my name....
I have a problem,
-I have installed MTW2 1.1
-I have unpacked files
-I have changed files in data/text directory with python 2.5 to txt
-I have installed the mod folder, but the files mymod.cfg and mymod.bat arent created?!

What to do?:help: :help: :help: :help:

alpaca
04-02-2007, 23:34
Im realy confused when modding, but when Im triing to make MTW2 ready for modding, I often forget my name....
I have a problem,
-I have installed MTW2 1.1
-I have unpacked files
-I have changed files in data/text directory with python 2.5 to txt
-I have installed the mod folder, but the files mymod.cfg and mymod.bat arent created?!

What to do?:help: :help: :help: :help:
Right now the best way is probably to create them by hand (as described in the advanced info).
I'll wait for M2 v1.2 before doing any work on this because some stuff might change.

Crazed_Monkey
04-05-2007, 10:47
Hi,
I have clicked on the Unpacker and a Black DOS screen appears I answered the questions and then the screen disappeared and nothing happened.
Can you please tell me where I have gone wrong? :help:

Thank You

alpaca
04-05-2007, 12:08
Did you run the batch file unpack_all.bat?

Crazed_Monkey
04-06-2007, 12:05
Oh sorry i clicked on the wrong one !:oops:

Im currently doing it now thanks for pointing it out :smash:

paladinj
04-06-2007, 17:12
Hi great Tutorial!
I have tried following your tutorial and I have decided to edit the .strings.bin files directly,

where are the .strings.bin files? I have looked in the data folder but all i have is: animations,cursors,fmv,sounds,world:embarassed:

if I have your unpacker what steps don't I need to do?

I don't have medieval2.preference.cfg in my main folder I have medieval2.preference is it good for creating the mymod.cfg?
Thankyou I'm a NOOB

alpaca
04-06-2007, 22:41
Hi great Tutorial!
I have tried following your tutorial and I have decided to edit the .strings.bin files directly,

where are the .strings.bin files? I have looked in the data folder but all i have is: animations,cursors,fmv,sounds,world:embarassed:

if I have your unpacker what steps don't I need to do?

I don't have medieval2.preference.cfg in my main folder I have medieval2.preference is it good for creating the mymod.cfg?
Thankyou I'm a NOOB
Thanks.
You'll have to unpack the files by running tools/unpacker/unpack_all.bat as described in step 1 - the string files will be in data/text then

You should enable "Show known file extensions" in windows, then you will notice that medieval2.preference is actually medieval2.preference.cfg

RickooClan
04-09-2007, 11:17
Hi, this is my first time to mod in MTW2, it seems so complicated compare with RTW which i just edit the descr file with notepad. :embarassed:

I follow the steps and created mymod.cfg and mymod.bat file, however if i double click on mymod.bat it just open the notepad file instead of running the medival 2.exe as instructed? Also, i cant find the "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" file after i use the converter in the text folder, all i can find is "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings"

Meanwhile i have installed the unofficial 1.2 patch on a clean MTW2, if it will work very differently compare with the instruction in this tutorial? :dizzy2:

alpaca
04-09-2007, 20:38
Hi, this is my first time to mod in MTW2, it seems so complicated compare with RTW which i just edit the descr file with notepad. :embarassed:

I follow the steps and created mymod.cfg and mymod.bat file, however if i double click on mymod.bat it just open the notepad file instead of running the medival 2.exe as instructed? Also, i cant find the "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" file after i use the converter in the text folder, all i can find is "imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings"

Meanwhile i have installed the unofficial 1.2 patch on a clean MTW2, if it will work very differently compare with the instruction in this tutorial? :dizzy2:
Enable "show known file extensions" in "Tools"->"Folder Options" in the windows explorer.

And the steps described should work fine.

RickooClan
04-11-2007, 19:51
Thx a lot and the mymod.bat file works now, it pop up a dos screen and running the game (just like the 1.1 problem fixer i download here :yes: )

However, whenever i get into the selecting faction screen it CTD. I didnt really edit anything in the data folder, perhaps it is a 1.2 leaked patch issues?

SigniferOne
04-11-2007, 21:20
What did you copy into the new mod folder? All mod folders need to have certain sub-folders, even if empty: /packs, /data/world, maybe even /custom. Download one of the many M2TW mods, and see their directory structure. You'll find they have a few empty folders which are nevertheless necessary, and just imitate that. We've successfully ported Paeninsula Italica to the M2 modding structure, and it works without a flaw.

alpaca
04-11-2007, 22:20
I actually created a new basic mod folder some while ago that you can find here:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1264

Note that to edit the map, you'll have to copy your world/maps/base folder, and this thing doesn't include any graphical tidbits like a radar map, faction maps or loading screens.

What you need in your mod folder is basically the map (world/maps/base and world/maps/imperial_campaign plus text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt) because the game won't read that from the packs.

RickooClan
04-12-2007, 10:34
Thx guys, my mod is working now after i use the mod folder option instead of iso option. No sure why was it happened.

One thing i want to ask if the mod compatable with save game? For example i create mymod and start a new game. Then i mod some data and if it will work on the saved game i just created or i have to start all over to put them in effect?

alpaca
04-12-2007, 13:08
A lot of changes aren't save-game compatible, while some are.
To be on the safe side, I wouldn't work with savegames.

Tanit
04-18-2007, 20:52
Hello, I am having the same problem as the swearing fellow had on the first page and I did the same thing you told him to do but the unpacker still just closes after I answer all the questions. And I am using the batch file.

oklahomasooners
04-24-2007, 22:51
it might just be my mind playing tricks on me but i'm pretty sure the unpacker exits near the end. i say this because each time i check to see if it workd i can't find geography file things that i'm supposed to delete.

alpaca
04-25-2007, 19:03
Maybe your disk is full :laugh4:

oklahomasooners
04-29-2007, 17:48
is me not being able to fully run the unpacker to do with vista?

alpaca
04-29-2007, 18:08
is me not being able to fully run the unpacker to do with vista?
Could be, people are reporting problems with Vista a lot... Maybe you have to set special rights for the file.

oklahomasooners
05-03-2007, 21:09
well... i'm already the admistrator if that's what your talking about.

alpaca
05-03-2007, 21:30
well... i'm already the admistrator if that's what your talking about.
Well I know next to nothing about vista, but I think there's some settings for files or folders that generally don't allow programs to write into them or so.
Don't take me too seriously, as I said, I know zip about it :laugh4:

oklahomasooners
05-05-2007, 01:32
well.....i got the problem fixed by unpacking in a different folder like you said but then when I tried to moddify some files they didn't work.

oklahomasooners
05-05-2007, 02:26
Do you NEED to have a mod folder/IO thingy to use the new files after you unpack?

alpaca
05-05-2007, 11:27
Do you NEED to have a mod folder/IO thingy to use the new files after you unpack?
Yes otherwise I wouldn't write there's two options :beam:

Roman_Man#3
05-05-2007, 18:30
Will you need to unpack the files again after upgrading to patch 2?

ps. Will your mod-folder auto-installer still work?

Thanks,
RM3

alpaca
05-05-2007, 19:34
Yes and probably not. I'll create a new one for 1.2 (note that my todo-list is still growing by the minute so it might take me some time :inquisitive: )

oklahomasooners
05-05-2007, 21:45
hmmmmm.... i'm using the IO thingy and the game still won't read my files.......

edit: never mind i'll just install update 2 and start fresh

prodo
05-05-2007, 23:47
I have gotten to step 1.1, but nothing seems to happen when I try to convert the .strings.bin.- I don't see any strings files to convert in the data folder, they are text/xml. When i run the extract_all, the dos screen pops up and closes immediately-am i missing something?

I went ahead a few steps anyway and added the batch file, it opens the game fine, but then an "unspecified error" pops up.

?

prodo
05-05-2007, 23:53
HAHA, I sat there and didn't even look at "data/text". I was thinking convert the text in the data folder. ok, now i'll try it the right way.

prodo
05-06-2007, 00:38
hmm, still not working. Same thing happens. I may just have to try the mod-folder method instead. This doesn't look to be working.

alpaca
05-06-2007, 11:44
Did you install python 2.5?

prodo
05-09-2007, 00:45
nevermind, it was a problem when i updated to 1.2. The directions were perfectly fine. Sucks because i had to reinstall to make sure, but at least i wasn't crazy. thanks for the great tutorial

Mad_BOB
05-11-2007, 11:01
Ok, follow the tutorial, and as a test, tried to change the name of Milan, but it didn't work. The log has messages about several files saying they are missing, but they're definately there as i can see and edit them. What could be the problem?

Mad_BOB
05-11-2007, 13:24
:beam: Ah, got it working in the end...seems the mod file installer neglected to make me a 'mymod.cfg' file :furious3:

alpaca
05-11-2007, 14:47
Yes I'll create a new version for 1.2

kungfuserge
05-12-2007, 08:32
Is there a way to launch the game faster, (with no cinematique introduction; ie RTW -nm)

alpaca
05-12-2007, 10:12
Yeah put movies=0 under your video section

kungfuserge
05-12-2007, 11:32
thank you

masteri
05-12-2007, 21:18
Hi I tyred to setup medieval 2 for moding but when i change lonon ino The Molich i get in game and There is still name London.:help:
I instaled M2TW mod folder and unpack and instaled Paython 2.5.
Please helo:help: :help: :help:

alpaca
05-12-2007, 21:31
Did you start the game using the batch file or did you simply click on your desktop shortcut or the medieval2.exe?

masteri
05-12-2007, 21:37
Did you start the game using the batch file or did you simply click on your desktop shortcut or the medieval2.exe?
I start game whit:
mymod
MS-DOS Batch file

masteri
05-13-2007, 16:08
Any one whants to help me.

Roman_Man#3
05-13-2007, 22:03
You are using a mod folder it seems, eh? did you set up the .cfg and .bat file properly? Are you using file_first? Check the error logs file in the logs/folder, that might give you a hint as to what is going on.

masteri
05-16-2007, 16:04
If i use MOD FOLDER to mod will i be able to work whit textures.

alpaca
05-18-2007, 19:35
If i use MOD FOLDER to mod will i be able to work whit textures.
Supposedly yes.

s_tabikha
06-05-2007, 02:28
do I have to do step 1.1 to mod stats?

alpaca
06-05-2007, 16:56
do I have to do step 1.1 to mod stats?
No, you only have to convert the text files if you want to edit descriptions or add anything (units, buildings, etc.)

losts78
07-13-2007, 23:16
i downloaded your file and i have no idea where the read me is. All i get is a notepad file with odd writing that i have no idea what it is. plse help.

alpaca
07-13-2007, 23:42
i downloaded your file and i have no idea where the read me is. All i get is a notepad file with odd writing that i have no idea what it is. plse help.
Which file is that? The files are in .rar format iirc, which means you have to download 7-zip or some other freeware tool to extract them.

william wallace
07-31-2007, 11:04
em, ive got a question. i made 2 new folders of me2tw 1.2 i unpacked one of them, this one keeps to CTD when i start a battle... plz help :help:

alpaca
08-01-2007, 10:07
Did you delete the descr_geography_new files?

william wallace
08-01-2007, 12:35
did it now, and it works fine, thanks, btw do you need to delete a file for skins to work?

alpaca
08-02-2007, 13:22
did it now, and it works fine, thanks, btw do you need to delete a file for skins to work?
I don't think so, you should be able to just place them in the according directory and the game will use the file over the one in the packs.

Anthony2142
08-04-2007, 16:11
Ive done everything step by step, the unpacking, got rid of the two files, copies preference cfg and named it mymod, I added in [io] file_first = 1 the the error log thing, then I made the mymod.bat edited it and put medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg, but then when you say run mymod.bat its still a text file and it wont run, and the shortcut wont work, I only want to use others mods btw, help please?

Anthony2142
08-04-2007, 16:19
This is the readme of the mod im trying to get working.
RealCombat 1.2 Battle Mechanics

Thankyou for downloading and trying RealCombat 1.2. RC is an attempt to create a more realistic M2TW combat experience via the modification of a number of crucial unit stats for all units, using a consistent and detailed framework.

Please read the accompanying 13-page guide to gain a better understanding of what this means and how it has been done.

TO INSTALL

Copy the contents of the 'data' folder to the M2TW data folder or your mod's data folder. Make sure you are running the game with --io.file_first if in the M2TW/data folder.

In the data folder:
-If you prefer 2HP generals/special units, rename the export_descr_unit_2HP.txt to export_descr_unit.txt
-If you are using Burrek's units mod, copy the contents of the burrek_units.txt to export_descr_units.txt
-If you are using Dismounted Knights mod, copy the contents of the Dismounted_Knights.txt to export_descr_units.txt

RC also includes Serious Samurai's polearm mod which gives the English bill (polearm) units a much more historically accurate 8 foot billhook, and some much-needed anti-cavalry power. Thankyou SS :)

Many thanks also to all who have contributed with valuable testing, editing, suggestions and feedback, and especially to the regulars in the RealCombat thread, at 55 pages short: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82671, if you have a spare few days it makes interesting reading!

All feedback is very welcome.

Anthony2142
08-04-2007, 16:24
btw, nothings working at all, there isnt even an error log, i might be doing something stupid, and hopefully I am and it will easily be fixed.

Hamykatura
08-05-2007, 13:58
Thanks a lot for the great tutorial!

It seems to work for the moment, but I have a little question: is there a way to play the game full screen?

Also, I can't change a text document to a .bat : I wrote what I had to write in mymod.txt, but when i make it mymod.bat, it's still written Text document under it.

Thank you

Hamykatura
08-05-2007, 14:09
I tried making mymod.txt a .bat files by using Windows Help. They said:

To save a file with a different name or format
On the File menu of the program you are working in, click Save As.
Specify a new name or a different format for the file you are saving.
Note

If the file was previously saved with a different name or format, that version will remain unchanged.

I tried to do that but the only choices I got were Text document or All files (I don't know what that is)

Thanks for your :help:

mor dan
08-07-2007, 18:53
when i try to run the mymod.bat file i get an error saying:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

help?

*EDIT*

there is no entry in my Folder Options for a .bat file. i created one and associated it to cmd.exe and then command.exe. neither works. they just pull up a command window.

Abokasee
08-08-2007, 17:36
In order to be able to start your game using this config, create a new text file inside your MTW2 directory called mymod.bat

Code:
medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

I don't know how you make a file become .bat, I can't get it from text file to .bat, because... I dont have a clue

mor dan
08-08-2007, 19:00
I don't know how you make a file become .bat, I can't get it from text file to .bat, because... I dont have a clue

first off, you need to have your folder options set to show all file extensions. after that, it's as simple as renaming the file from mymod.txt to mymod.bat

alpaca
08-08-2007, 19:14
Most of the problems should be solved by opening Tools->Folder Options, then View and untick "Hide extensions for known file types", your text files will get the .txt extension if you use notepad with standard settings.

Mor Dan: You shouldn't be able to associate .bat files with anything at all (I think they're system-linked to the command prompt) so maybe you made some mistake (wrong file extension?)

mor dan
08-08-2007, 19:43
Most of the problems should be solved by opening Tools->Folder Options, then View and untick "Hide extensions for known file types", your text files will get the .txt extension if you use notepad with standard settings.

Mor Dan: You shouldn't be able to associate .bat files with anything at all (I think they're system-linked to the command prompt) so maybe you made some mistake (wrong file extension?)

only if mymod.bat is the wrong file extension = )

as i said, when i did that at first, it said there was NOTHING attached to the .bat extension (weird enough, i know).

Abokasee
08-08-2007, 19:47
works perfectly, now I can mod MTW:2 (YIPPPY KA YEAH!!!)

alpaca
08-09-2007, 21:18
only if mymod.bat is the wrong file extension = )

as i said, when i did that at first, it said there was NOTHING attached to the .bat extension (weird enough, i know).
I would suggest reinstalling windows...

mor dan
08-09-2007, 22:14
I would suggest reinstalling windows...

GAH!

i don't like your suggestion = (

alpaca
08-10-2007, 00:01
GAH!

i don't like your suggestion = (
Well you could also try going to Control Panel->System->Advanced->Environment Variables and under System Variables have a look if .bat is listed under PATHEXT. If it isn't, add it.
Not sure if that helps anyways.

mor dan
08-10-2007, 04:32
*sigh*

nope. it's already there so that doesn't help. i just hate reinstalling. it takes so freaking long and i always lose something i really wanted to keep and then can't find it anymore.

Aedan2812
08-24-2007, 10:32
hmmm u feel dumb i dont even know how to install :S
could some1 plz point me in the right direction?
also i need a little help using bin.string converter
any help would be greatly appreciated

mor dan
08-24-2007, 17:09
don't know how to install what?

i would actually suggest using the program that edits the strings.bin directly instead of the converter. the converter can't convert every file. the editor can edit any file. seems like a no brainer.

alpaca
08-25-2007, 10:20
don't know how to install what?

i would actually suggest using the program that edits the strings.bin directly instead of the converter. the converter can't convert every file. the editor can edit any file. seems like a no brainer.
Well just editing tooltips.txt.strings.bin and the others doesn't work anymore as of 1.2 because the game doesn't interpret them unless a text file for them is present in the same folder. I don't know about the tagged files but it's probably the same.

Rhyfelwyr
08-29-2007, 23:25
Do the two ways of setting M2TW up for modding both let me run the original game seperately and save games without me having to worry about them getting ruined?

alpaca
08-30-2007, 12:25
That depends. If you change the map, your changes won't be save-game compatible. That means if you use file_first you can still play the old games (because the map is stored in the save-game), new savegames however won't be compatible with vanilla anymore (that's true for using mod folders, too, though, but in effect you can't play a new vanilla campaign anymore if you use file_first).

Rhyfelwyr
08-30-2007, 14:00
If I use a mod folder, will any of the following change the original game, or prevent me from loading save games:

1. adding factions to the campaign map
2. adding units to factions
3. changing factions banners/symbols

alpaca
08-30-2007, 19:50
If I use a mod folder, will any of the following change the original game, or prevent me from loading save games:

1. adding factions to the campaign map
2. adding units to factions
3. changing factions banners/symbols
None of these should do any harm, except that you have to put the .sd files into the vanilla folder, too (but it can be the vanilla version) if you want to use them in a mod.

Rhyfelwyr
09-02-2007, 16:59
Sorry to be a nuisance Alpaca, but on second thoughts I might need the io.file_first system for my mod. Is it possible to switch between the game running the modified files and the original packed files? Also, if I switched between the mod and vanilla this way, would saved games be damaged? Just I'm not sure whether or not to finish my campaign before I start my mod.

alpaca
09-02-2007, 17:56
Sorry to be a nuisance Alpaca, but on second thoughts I might need the io.file_first system for my mod. Is it possible to switch between the game running the modified files and the original packed files? Also, if I switched between the mod and vanilla this way, would saved games be damaged? Just I'm not sure whether or not to finish my campaign before I start my mod.
As I said the changes you do to vanilla will only show up after you start a new game as far as I know.

Rhyfelwyr
09-03-2007, 11:40
Ah OK now I understand, thanks for the help.:2thumbsup:

Stupid_Boy
10-23-2007, 08:56
hi there, i did as the tutorial said but when i test mymod, the changes doesnt show up. y is that?? im so frustrated!!!!!!!!! i have spent the whole morning till now juz to set up this mymod and yet it not working!!!!!
what wrong have i did???? what wrong???

I notice that there are a few changes after i run the test. At the main menu there, the "continue games" have been grey out so i guess mymod is running. Then at Mymod folder, there are 3 additional folder created which are preference, saves and packs folder.

So, im quite sure mymod is running. but still there are no changes. y?? i changes :
{London} London to
{London} Indiana

at the mymod/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement.txt. I even changed the files to read only after i changed but is still not working!!!! i also changed the files at mymod/data/world/campaign/imperial_campaign/ settlement_lookup.txt : i replaced London With Indiana and still it not working!!!!! Please Help!!! Please Help!!!!! i need to do this as soon as possible!!As i wan to try the regions modificiation later tonite!!!:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

alpaca
10-23-2007, 17:10
hi there, i did as the tutorial said but when i test mymod, the changes doesnt show up. y is that?? im so frustrated!!!!!!!!! i have spent the whole morning till now juz to set up this mymod and yet it not working!!!!!
what wrong have i did???? what wrong???

I notice that there are a few changes after i run the test. At the main menu there, the "continue games" have been grey out so i guess mymod is running. Then at Mymod folder, there are 3 additional folder created which are preference, saves and packs folder.

So, im quite sure mymod is running. but still there are no changes. y?? i changes :
{London} London to
{London} Indiana

at the mymod/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement.txt. I even changed the files to read only after i changed but is still not working!!!! i also changed the files at mymod/data/world/campaign/imperial_campaign/ settlement_lookup.txt : i replaced London With Indiana and still it not working!!!!! Please Help!!! Please Help!!!!! i need to do this as soon as possible!!As i wan to try the regions modificiation later tonite!!!:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
I hope you mean mymod/data/text?

Stupid_Boy
10-24-2007, 08:32
arrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!NOW I KNOW WHY!!!! im so stupid!!!! I didnt put text folder in mymod/data...WTF!!!! No wonder no changed observed!!!! THANKS ALPACA. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

ok im really wanna to make damn sure this time :
(1) mymod/data/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and settlements.txt
(2) mymod/data/world/maps/base
(3) mymod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign
(4) mymod/data/fmv
(5) mymod/data/loading_screen
(6) mymod/data/sounds/events.dat & events.idx
(7) create mymod.cfg
(8) create mymod.bat
(9) run mymod.bat
ok....i try tonight as im reinstalling MTW2+Kingdom now...it take so long to installed the patched!!! However, i do have a question :

my question is : i noticed that some of u here have a different imperial_Campaign_regions_and_settlement.txt from mine. The differences is :
yours : {London_Province} London Regions

and mine : {London_Province} London_Provinces
I got the files from the link somwhere in this tread!!! so which one is the right one? thanks in advanced!!!!!!

Cid
10-26-2007, 22:32
Hi

Been trying to figure this out for a couple of days now. All I want to do is change the catapult/artillery settings in the export_description_units file so they won't be mass produced by the AI, and have the damn change show up in the game! The closest I've come so far is Alpaca's mod folder creater utility. I just changed the regular file in "Mymod/Data" and the change showed up...but the game runs so SLOW under "mymod". I have no problems with the vanilla Med2/Kingdoms, so I'm wondering what happened? It's as though I downgraded my video card and lost 2/3rds of my memory when I run the game under "mymod".

If someone could give me a simple (I'm a newb) fix to this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

alpaca
10-27-2007, 17:26
Hi

Been trying to figure this out for a couple of days now. All I want to do is change the catapult/artillery settings in the export_description_units file so they won't be mass produced by the AI, and have the damn change show up in the game! The closest I've come so far is Alpaca's mod folder creater utility. I just changed the regular file in "Mymod/Data" and the change showed up...but the game runs so SLOW under "mymod". I have no problems with the vanilla Med2/Kingdoms, so I'm wondering what happened? It's as though I downgraded my video card and lost 2/3rds of my memory when I run the game under "mymod".

If someone could give me a simple (I'm a newb) fix to this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
That sounds a bit weird, the game doesn't run much more slowly in a mod folder than normally for me.
Try removing all files you don't need and just keeping those that you changed (but don't delete data/text/imperial_campaign... and data/world)

pdoan8
11-01-2007, 09:04
I use mod folder installer, but game crashed.

Part of the gamelog:

00:58:08.609 [script.err] [error] Script Error in engmod/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 972, column 5
couldn't find rebel faction(Fatimid_Rebels), going to set it to (gladiator_uprising)
00:58:08.609 [script.err] [error] Script Error in engmod/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 981, column 5
couldn't find rebel faction(Saharan_Rebels), going to set it to (gladiator_uprising)
00:58:08.609 [script.err] [error] Script Error in engmod/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 990, column 5
couldn't find rebel faction(Saharan_Rebels), going to set it to (gladiator_uprising)
00:58:08.609 [script.err] [error] Script Error in engmod/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 999, column 5
couldn't find rebel faction(Fatimid_Rebels), going to set it to (gladiator_uprising)
00:58:08.609 [script.err] [error] Script Error in engmod/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt, at line 1008, column 5
00:58:24.546 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

All reffer to rebel factions.

What wrong?

I use M2TW 1.2 with xpack.
No modding yet (all file are original from the installer).

It's late at night so may be I didn't think straight and missed something . I'm giving up for tonight. I will redo the whole process tomorrow.

Edit: nevermind. I fixed it. I delete "slave" from one of the unit but forgot to remove the unit from rebel unit list.

Edit 2: game crashing again after 10 turns into the game.

Log:

09:56:17.359 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
09:56:17.359 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Jun 25 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2.1-30 (43169) ===
09:56:17.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
09:56:17.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
09:56:17.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
09:56:17.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
09:56:17.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
09:56:17.375 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
09:57:28.625 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

In mymod\data, which file(s) I need to keep from the unpacked data if I only modify export_descr_buildings.txt and export_descr_unit.txt.

alpaca
11-01-2007, 22:19
You only have to keep the data/world and data/text folders, the other files that you don't want to change can go

Eldgrim
11-06-2007, 11:12
I'm trying to run the unpacker but i am getting this:

This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem) so, i copied the unpack_all into my main m2tw install folder in which this MSVCP71.dll file is and run the unpacker...

Now i already had a less than entertaining time re-installing M2 twice i don't feel like doing it again, is there another way around this problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Eldgrim
11-06-2007, 16:42
Heh, nevermind. I worked around it.

Rhyfelwyr
12-11-2007, 23:24
Great start to my planned mod! I went to use the unpacker, but I got this error message when I ran it.:wall:

https://img160.imageshack.us/img160/5931/moderrormessageim4.th.jpg (https://img160.imageshack.us/my.php?image=moderrormessageim4.jpg)

EDIT: I've read some of this thread now, and I think I've sorted the problem. Basically, I took any file that looked like MCdl11.... from the main M2TW directory and copied them all into the unpacker folder. I then ran the unpacker, and I seemed to do its thing. I notice though when the unpacker said "Failed to open file" just before it finished, but it had been running for quite a while. I'll go check things out now...

EDIT 2: I can't seem to find any many files in the data folder. I don't see the EDU, or anything like that. I just also ran the list_contents thing, it asked a few Y/N questions and then it seemed to run a script thing for a couple of seconds. Still no joy with finding the files though.

EDIT 3: Just noticed on the Python tool readme it says that the CA's unpacker should have been unpacked in the data/text directory, but I do not even see such as folder. My data folder only links to the world folders, etc.

alpaca
12-12-2007, 23:09
You need to copy the file with that exact name from your M2TW directory to your unpacker directory.

Rhyfelwyr
12-12-2007, 23:12
Is it just the file with the name that appears in the error message, not the similar ones?

Also sorry I just PMed you BTW.:embarassed:

EDIT: I added all the similar looking files. Also do I actually put the file in the same folder as the unpacker is in?

alpaca
12-12-2007, 23:18
Is it just the file with the name that appears in the error message, not the similar ones?

Also sorry I just PMed you BTW.:embarassed:

EDIT: I added all the similar looking files. Also do I actually put the file in the same folder as the unpacker is in?
Yes I think so. Alternatively copy it into your WINNT/system32 folder which should definitely do the trick.

Rhyfelwyr
12-12-2007, 23:19
Where is that?

Thanks for all this help BTW it is really appreciated, I've been dying to mod since I finished my campaign, didnd't want to muck it up throuhg the moddding.

Rhyfelwyr
12-12-2007, 23:22
I tried just adding that one file to the unpacker folder, but then it told me another similar one was missing. Should I just try adding all these similar files to the WINNT/system32 folder?

EDIT: Should the unpacker folder look like this BTW:

https://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5118/aaaarghhhqv9.th.jpg (https://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aaaarghhhqv9.jpg)

Rhyfelwyr
12-12-2007, 23:31
Sorry if I am being a total idiot here, but did you mean put the unpacker into system 32 or the files it always tells me are missing?

I swear I could mod RTW, even managed to swap shields on models and everything. This is a nightmare.:wall:

EDIT: When I swithched the mc... files into system32 the unpacker just said it couldn't find them, when I switched the unpacker to system32 to run it it just flashed up for a second then dissappeared.

Rhyfelwyr
12-13-2007, 00:09
I just tried taking all the files with the little gear symbol out of the main M2TW folder, and putting them into the unpacker folder. It made the unpacker run for much longer, it got to over 23,000 of the 36,000 files before it gave up, but I still don't see any files in the data folder.

Also is there supposed be a text folder within the data folder?

EDIT: Sorry for quadruple posting I've been a bit frantic trying to get this sorted, I'm giving up for tonight.

EDIT 2: I've just read through this thread, and I seem to be having the same problem as oklahomasooners, my unpack_all script stops part way through. I'm using Vista just now, I managed to do all this no problem on my old XP PC. That would explain the "failed to open file" that the script gives me. oklahomasooners says he moved the unpacker to a different folder, but didn't say which one. Is there any way for me to change the permissions required to open files, whenever I move files I get messages with the admin symbol telling me to use the admin privileges to move the files. I can do it as I am the admin, but it needs to go through the message first. Could that be my problem?

FINAL EDIT: Yes, unpacked the files!!!!!!! The problem was Vista's security settings, I turned off user account controls. Perhaps you should add that to the first post here alpaca, might save some trouble for Vista users like myself. Thanks for your help BTW.:cheers:

redline
12-13-2007, 17:07
@alpaca

mate,i don't have a problem about making .bat files . My problem is this,when i start game from my mod all works but when i wont 2 lead battle game crushes.Then i use yours mod folder installer (good job 4 that),everything works but still i can't lead battles by my self because game crush every time.i also use line 4 log error still nothing , i don't get it whats is problem.by the way i have installed patch 1.1, i have also 1.2 and 1.3(but not installed).if they are fixing this problem tell m,if not then tell m what problem is.
i have created in my mod almost everything but game crushes when i want to lead battles.
many thx 4 hlp

Lusted
12-13-2007, 17:16
My guess is you haven't deleted the 2 descr_geography files after unpacking.

redline
12-13-2007, 17:23
@lusted
hmmm.. i must delete that files before unpacking patches or after i unpack.
thx 4 tip mate.

Rhyfelwyr
12-13-2007, 17:28
I've managed to get to the stage where I can run the game throught the mymod.bat file. However, I changed descr_strat in the mymod folder, in its right location, and the changes are not showing up ingame. Any ideas?

EDIT: Sorted :beam:

Rhyfelwyr
12-14-2007, 14:36
I've now had success in changing the faction name, colour, character names, buildings, religion, and culture.:2thumbsup:

I've also added a unit, but its going to remain invisible until I can edit the modeldb file. I've heard I need to add --io.file_first to the batch file to get this to work, so I need to know can I add the --io.file_first to my batch file and still run the game with the mod folder commands, or do I need to move all my files back into their original locations and replace the vanilla files?

EDIT: Sorted.

quojake
12-23-2007, 14:53
i'm using io_first option...

i followed all the instructions, but still can't get any changes to show up e.g. london to moloch.

I got rid of all the strin.bin files and edited the data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

but nothing...

is it because i'm on ver 1.1?

quojake
12-23-2007, 15:57
I've sorta located the problem. The txt files in data/text are not being converted back into string.bin files after editing with notepad.

HOWEVER, if i use the tool that directly edits string.bins, then the changes appear...

anyreason why or way to correct this? cos i'd much rather edit with notepad..

adembroski
12-27-2007, 04:22
Okay, so does this work the same for setting up Kingdoms mods?

alpaca
12-29-2007, 14:33
quojake: Sorry for answering so late. I'm not very experienced with using file_first so I don't even know if the strings bin files are regenerated if you launch that way.

adembroski: I think it should in general work the same way, you just have to use kingdoms.exe to run it.

Red Spot
12-31-2007, 09:17
i'm using io_first option...

i followed all the instructions, but still can't get any changes to show up e.g. london to moloch.

I got rid of all the strin.bin files and edited the data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

but nothing...

is it because i'm on ver 1.1?

I'm guessing it is cause you run v1.1, I ran M2 vanilla and than stopped playing it untill v1.2 was out, modded the game, made my shortcut look like this **"D:\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe" --io.file_first** (without the **) and just enjoyed the game as I modded it (do note I do not use the launcher!)

Alpaca, the game generates the string.bin files when running the "io"-flag just as it would in a mod folder, at least under v1.2, at least the .. er .. commen ones (just cant recall wich ones, I never used a mod-folder though, so it must work with the io-method)

G

Eothese
01-27-2008, 22:00
Dose this still apply to 1.3 which is what you get when you install kingdoms? I managed to get it to run without convertimg the string.bin files but the UI and settlements were just large blank white squares, also the loading_screens and the text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt files were already in the mymod folder?? If I need to use the sting.bin converter how do I use it?

alpaca
01-28-2008, 14:19
I don't really know if it works with kingdoms. The mod folder installer probably won't work because the layout for some files has changed, as well as some other things, but the general process should be pretty much the same.

Gibb The Great
01-29-2008, 09:15
Well i suck, i followed the instructions and when i try to open my game through mymod.dat it crashes, it crashes when i try and open it through the original way.

i guess modding isn't my thing

alpaca
01-29-2008, 12:27
It's possible that you inadvertently deleted an important file. You should always make backups before you change anything - this is a lesson that every new modder has to learn the hard way :laugh4:

Gibb The Great
01-29-2008, 16:27
It's possible that you inadvertently deleted an important file. You should always make backups before you change anything - this is a lesson that every new modder has to learn the hard way :laugh4:

They should call me Forest Gibb

"I'm not a smart man!"

Gibb The Great
01-29-2008, 23:53
OK i think i found the problem, when i installed the 1.2 patch it asked if i wanna reboot and since i was downloading the mod folder creater i said i'll reboot later. Well i forgot once the DL was finished and tried to mod and dabble around abit. I never realised i for got to reboot until after i unistalled Medieval 2 though.

Long story short it is now working, did the London Test and renamed it to Gibbs Place. Works fine.

However when i load the game through mymod.bat it loads it in a screen about 3/4 of the size of my original game, now normally i wouldn't mind too much since i prefer to do other things while playing games but its harder to navigate the map screen and battle screen. Is that the norm while modding? A smaller screen or is it once again user error?

p.s Alpaca congrats on being a top bloke, 1 year after this thread was created and you are still answering questions

alpaca
02-04-2008, 12:37
OK i think i found the problem, when i installed the 1.2 patch it asked if i wanna reboot and since i was downloading the mod folder creater i said i'll reboot later. Well i forgot once the DL was finished and tried to mod and dabble around abit. I never realised i for got to reboot until after i unistalled Medieval 2 though.

Long story short it is now working, did the London Test and renamed it to Gibbs Place. Works fine.

However when i load the game through mymod.bat it loads it in a screen about 3/4 of the size of my original game, now normally i wouldn't mind too much since i prefer to do other things while playing games but its harder to navigate the map screen and battle screen. Is that the norm while modding? A smaller screen or is it once again user error?

p.s Alpaca congrats on being a top bloke, 1 year after this thread was created and you are still answering questions
Thanks, answering sometimes takes a few days though :laugh4:

The game runs in windowed mode which is intentional. Open mymod.cfg and adjust the settings to your liking if you want to change something, there's a "windowed" flag, and a flag where you can set your resolution. Videos are also disabled.
Note that you should probably copy some settings from your medieval2.preferences.cfg or whatever it's called as the mod config is not written by the game when you change settings.

To navigate while in windowed mode I usually use the arrow keys.

HistoryGuy
03-04-2008, 06:56
:help: :help: :help:

A very long post...

OK - Before I make myself sound like a complete idiot, I am a newb to unpacking and extracting files in games etc (that part of modding). I am not however a newb / idiot in terms of the graphical part of it.

Now that that is over with... I began the tutorial as alpaca had stated.

===

I ran the unpacker, but forgot to direct it to a subfolder. So it copied or unpacked onto my vanilla (1.3) version of M2TW. Just a note, the unpacker closed itself. I went into my directories, and started to try and find files as was mentioned in the tutorial. After failing in finding the files, I started up the game, and tried a quick battle. It gave me this error:

Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will close.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. Didn't work. I uninstalled it again, and than reinstalled patch 1.2 and 1.3. I tried it after 1.2 and it didn't work. When 1.3 was finished I tried it, and it work. When I closed M2TW, and brought it back up again (just to make sure it worked multiple times); well it didn't work. So I downloaded the Mod Installer folder, and than created a new sub folder (etc, etc) launched that, and even that crashed.

I was gonna go through the unpacker again (this time with a sub directory) just for hoping that maybe that would fix it, but I have my doubts.

I was wondering if there was any possible way of getting around this by somehow restoring my M2TW files (which doesn't seem to work even when I uninstall / reinstall it) which doesn't make sense considering the fact that I didn't have the CD in the drive when I unpacked it.

Any help here would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

:wall:

alpaca
03-04-2008, 15:37
Unpacking shouldn't in fact cause your game to crash as long as you don't run it with a different shortcut (using file_first) or make some changes to your configuration. Are you sure the game works without unpacking?

HistoryGuy
03-04-2008, 18:18
The game only crashes when I try a battle. The campaign map works fine, but when I do a battle, it crashes. Same goes with historical, custom, or quick battles. Any other ideas?

I can post some Log info if you wish, though don't know how that would help.

HistoryGuy
03-21-2008, 00:44
Is unpacking possible under Vista operating systems?

Roman_Man#3
03-21-2008, 01:56
It is entirely possible. I just had to copy one of the .dll files from the M2TW directory into the unpacker folder.

HistoryGuy
03-21-2008, 04:48
Hmmm. I'm still having problems despite the fact when I uninstall and reinstall. Would a new copy of M2TW fix this problem, or should I unpack it again, and maybe that will help the "unspecified error" problem. My PC meets the required specs.

Thanks!

Mek Simmur al Ragaski
03-27-2008, 13:01
Where would you put a modding folder in your medieval directory, would you put it in with the descr_strat files (not actually in them, but like a new folder in the same area as they are) Im not sure where to find mod 1.1 (im hopeless at navigating through websites), so if you could give me a link i would appreciate it lots.

NorseFury
03-28-2008, 00:30
I'm new to modding, I was wondering if you can unpack with v 1.3, or do I have to have 1.1?

Iñnsomñni
04-03-2008, 23:05
When you install the mod folder, i have a few questions:
1. Where do you save it????
2. What do you save it as, a rar???
3. How do you open it, do you need python???

alpaca
04-04-2008, 12:58
It's an installer software. Where you save it is up to you, you need to save it as a .rar archive, unarchive the contents to another location, then run the executable and follow the instructions on the screen and in the readme file which is also inside the archive.

Iñnsomñni
04-05-2008, 12:23
How do you unarchive the contents??? I understand the rest of it, just not that part...

Makanyane
04-05-2008, 14:59
unarchive = extract
same as unzip for .zip files

you need to have a compression utility that handles .rar files
such as 7zip or WinRar

gareth3
04-26-2008, 00:30
:help:This is Awesome! But I'm stuck, I dont know how to make that mymod.bat file thing. All I made was some notepad file. Ive never done anything like this so I have know clue what im doing:wall:. If anyone could tell me how to get to make that file I'd be thrilled.

Ashtart
04-29-2008, 10:16
In your tut there is a link to see the limits of a Mymod folder and I can't access to it (I don't really know why:freak: , they say me I'm not an enought good member:vulcan: )

So my question is simple: what textures can't we modify in a mymod folder???:7detective:
Or can you give me an accessible link to know this?
Thanx for your tuts man, fortunately there are men like you :medievalcheers:

Is there anybody here???

Speedy
06-17-2008, 07:33
Dose this still apply to 1.3 which is what you get when you install kingdoms? I managed to get it to run without convertimg the string.bin files but the UI and settlements were just large blank white squares, also the loading_screens and the text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt files were already in the mymod folder?? If I need to use the sting.bin converter how do I use it?

I'm having the same problem... has anyone found an answer for this... This is a lot more technical... and frustrating than the "uuh... like... do I like... have to follow the directions?" idiot questions or that "uuh... I figured it out. I needed to follow the directions" idiot responses.

Thanks

irishron2004
06-18-2008, 10:04
I'm having the same problem... has anyone found an answer for this... This is a lot more technical... and frustrating than the "uuh... like... do I like... have to follow the directions?" idiot questions or that "uuh... I figured it out. I needed to follow the directions" idiot responses.

Thanks

Form an old man that has no fear of new technologies including unpackers, string-bin-convertors, the name of the game is to have fun and learning something new is always fun. The worst thing you can do is foul it up to the point you have to reinstall it and start over. It's called learning from your mistakes.

The tools that alpaca wrote for us to use come with a readme for each one. You read that, maybe even print it for reference, and follow the directions, they do work very well. Jump in and try it. It may take three or four tries but it is well worth the experience.

alpaca
06-18-2008, 21:04

Thanks

The general process should be the same if you go with the manual configuration. The installer is potentially not compatible with 1.3 - I didn't test it. The tutorial isn't really up-to-date anymore but I don't feel like going over it again right now.

irishron2004
06-18-2008, 21:38
The general process should be the same if you go with the manual configuration. The installer is potentially not compatible with 1.3 - I didn't test it. The tutorial isn't really up-to-date anymore but I don't feel like going over it again right now.

Alpaca,

I have used it on 1.3 and 1.5 and it works fine.

m_1512
06-28-2008, 05:53
hey i did as u said about unpacking the files

but it shows an error at the end and there are no folders as ui etc

i only know this bcoz one of the mods bout adding nw religion required this folder.there must be a lot of other folders which have not been unpacked

m_1512
06-28-2008, 05:55
plz can u tell me what i can do???????

irishron2004
06-28-2008, 09:48
Since I just got home from work and here it is almost 2am, first question is are you using Vista?

MxTach
06-30-2008, 02:13
Hi lads,

Look, im head over heels about being able to mod this game, Im a modder for Oblivion, but i really cant seem to cut the mustard on this io file_first business.

I can get all my changes to work using the mod folder technique, but my mod includes textures. So im forces to create an io file_first mod right?

Well, I was wondering if you could clarify that process because its doing my head in.

So far,

1) i have unpacked the files twice, once into the regular data folder, and twice into a backup folder away from the medieval II directory (as recommended)

2) Deleted the files i was told too.

3) Experimented with the brilliant mod folder installer and used the strings bin converter to change placenames. (worked fine)

4) deleted all traces of that mod folder so i could prepare an io file_first mod.

5) Copied medieval 2 preference and created "mymod.cfg" as recommended with the necessary coding

6) created a batch file sourced to mymod.cfg

7) **various approaches**

I) used the strings.bin converter, changed names, deleted Bins, left .txts, loaded = no result
II) used the mod folder installer but modified codes to create an io_first, changed names, deleted bins, loaded = no result
III) used the direct editor for .bins without using the converter, no txt files just bins, changed names, loaded no result.

Anyone who passes this post by and has had sucess with the i.o file_first please give me some valuable help?

*NOTE*

Those of you who have gotten themselves stuck and gone "PLZPLZPLZPLZPLZ HELP", but worked their way out of it, FFS stop posting to say "yay, i can do it now thanks" - instead, tell us how you sodding well fixed it ¬_¬

Tara,

JimCanuck
07-02-2008, 15:22
I'm stuck.

I can't edit the BAT file.

I've tried just clicking the edit button after right clicking on the BAT file as Alpaca instructed but it comes back with:

"Cannot create the blah blah blah file.

Make sure the path and file name are correct"

Can anyone help?:help:

Upcore
07-02-2008, 17:13
hi, im new to modding and i just wanted to fix a few things i didnt like in the game. ur guide was extremely helpful and I thank you for that. I followed what you said for the method of
[io]
file_first = 1

[log]
to = logs/system.log.txt
level = * error

I then created the bat file with medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg inside.
I then double clicked it and it started up and I got excited but then it crashed. It gets to the first screen for 3 seconds before it closes down and I can't figure out what is going on. I deleted those files with geography so I know that's not the problem also when you add
[io]
file_first = 1

[log]
to = logs/system.log.txt
level = * error

Do you need to hit enter after it to leave a blank space between that and [audio]

I just wanted to add musketeers to the English and the French and the Sicilians and cut the upkeep down a little bit.

budokwai
07-04-2008, 17:32
Hello I downloaded your M2TW Mod Folder 1.2.1 but when I click on the Medieval2 - mymod.exe a window appears with nothing written on it except a yelow triangle with a ! in it and when i close that windownothing else happens.:help:

TineMelk
07-05-2008, 12:42
Hi first of all I want to say thx for a great tutorial it was pretty easy to follow. I have done everything correct and everything works, there is just one little problem I was hoping someone can help me with. When I start the game with mymod, the game starts but it starts in a little window, and if I enlarge the game to full screen It just crashes.

What could the problem be?

Thx again for a great tutorial:egypt:

TineMelk
07-05-2008, 12:58
Yes:shame:

TineMelk
07-05-2008, 15:26
Hi first of all I want to say thx for a great tutorial it was pretty easy to follow. I have done everything correct and everything works, there is just one little problem I was hoping someone can help me with. When I start the game with mymod, the game starts but it starts in a little window, and if I enlarge the game to full screen It just crashes.

What could the problem be?

Thx again for a great tutorial:egypt:

Yes I do use Vista, will I not be able to make the game work then?

Averde
09-22-2008, 14:36
I'm new to this forum and new to modding and this guide helped me a lot!

Thank you for this great guide!

aylak
10-12-2008, 23:24
i am noob in modding.
i used unpacker to start some modding. i saw that 36000 files will be extracted. i became a bit patient and when it came to 2200 or sth it stopped. then i look if all files were unpacked, but it is not easy to reailise cos i dont know all th files. anyway, i found descr_geography files and deleted them. i just wanted to make small try and changed a units' stat_health to 10 in export_descr_unit used io.file_first. i configured cfg file to left system error log. and launched game. it seemed normal, the unite i edited seemed to have 10 hit points. then i arranged a custom battle. when it loaded ui was creaky, there squares, start deployment satrt battle didn't show advisor was interesting......anyway what may be the cause? the system log is as following.

1:08:07.150 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
01:08:07.152 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Apr 23 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2-84 (37970) ===
01:08:07.160 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
01:08:07.161 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
01:08:07.164 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
01:08:07.166 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
01:08:07.167 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
01:08:07.168 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
01:08:13.834 [data.missing] [error] TR/data/ui/shared.sdfile not found
01:08:13.835 [data.missing] [error] TR/data/ui/battle.sdfile not found

i checked the files "shared.sd, battle.sd " they were there in the specified directory. i mean they werent missing. can anyone help me?
thanks,

aylak
10-12-2008, 23:28
not 2200 files 22000 files.
i couldnt find where to edit post in this forum?

doby162
11-12-2008, 23:28
hi iv been at this for a while now but a ran into a problem. wenever I run th bat file the computer beeps and the loading screen stays. i think iv located a erer mesege under the screen and two options (frome randum clicking) one leavs the screen up and freezes while playing music the other closes it :wall: :help: :oops: :thumbsdown: :furious3: :no:

doby162
11-16-2008, 16:56
could sombady pleas anser

Critical Bill
12-25-2008, 21:56
I'm stuck.

I can't edit the BAT file.

I've tried just clicking the edit button after right clicking on the BAT file as Alpaca instructed but it comes back with:

"Cannot create the blah blah blah file.

Make sure the path and file name are correct"

Can anyone help?:help:

I had this too. Did anyone ever work it out?

EDIT : Worked it out now!

Polish Paul
03-21-2009, 14:49

medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg

Congratulations. If everything worked, you should now be able to run the game with your unpacked files by starting mymod.bat

I used the Mod Folder Installer, which worked fine. It also seemed to create the mymod.bat with that text in it, so I skipped that step.
So it should work... but it doesn't. Here's what happens:

- If I try to open mymod.bat directly, a blank window appears for an instant and then closes.

- When I open the shortcut Medieval II - mymod, it runs the game, but London is still London (even though I changed it as the tutorial suggested).

- I tried to change the launch options (yes, I'm using Steam), but I just get an error "Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit". (If this is the solution, I am probably just typing the wrong launch options, since I was really just guessing).

My comp runs on Windows XP and I am using Steam to play.
I did use the method of running the game that required me to delete one file and change the name of another to Launcher... or something like that. I forget off hand. Could that be the problem?

Does anyone know what the problem is? Thank you.

Polish Paul
03-21-2009, 15:18
I edited the mymod.bat so that it "launcher.exe @mymod.cfg" instead of "medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg"
Now when I open it, it actually runs the game, but my changes still aren't showing up.

Looking forward to modding. This tutorial is very good! Excellent!

camren shea
06-04-2009, 01:42
ok i loaded the thing that changes the the files to txt files but this guild said directions for the for the download are supposed to be on the readme I can't find that readme can someone please tell where that is.

TheRagMan
07-13-2009, 14:42
Hi all, I'm new here and used all the data here to set up my mod environment :book:.

Here's my contribution, as a token of my gratitude :yes:.

It's a batch file you can run from anywhere on your computer, all you have to do is to write the full path to your M2TW install location where indicated :2thumbsup:.

:: turn off echoing back of commands
@echo off

:: clear the screen
cls

:: You MUST write after the = mark the full path to your own M2TW
:: install location
set M2TW=C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\

:: Don't modify those variables unless you really know what you're doing
set UNPACKER=%M2TW%\tools\unpacker
set DEST=%M2TW%backup\
set MAPS=%M2TW%data\world\maps\
set DESTBASE=%DEST%data\world\maps\base
set DESTCAMP=%DEST%data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign

:: This will show you which directories are used before going on
echo M2TW install location: %M2TW%
echo Source of backup: %MAPS%
echo Backup of base location: %DESTBASE%
echo Backup of campaign location: %DESTCAMP%
echo Destination of unpacked files: %DEST%
pause

:: This creates destination directories
mkdir "%DESTCAMP%"
mkdir "%DESTBASE%"

:: This copies contents from the map directory and saves it to destination
xcopy "%MAPS%base" "%DESTBASE%" /s /e
xcopy "%MAPS%campaign\imperial_campaign" "%DESTCAMP%" /s /e

:: This actually unpacks the files to your destination backup location
chdir /d "%UNPACKER%"
unpacker.exe --source=..\..\packs\localized.pack --destination=..\..\backup –verbosity=1

:: This performs the mandatory renaming of descr_geography* files
move "%DEST%data\descr_geography_new.db" "%DEST%data\descr_geography_new.db.back"
move "%DEST%data\descr_geography_new.txt" "%DEST%data\descr_geography_new.txt.back"

:: A little pause so you can read the results
pause

Thanks. :beam:

piaoliang
12-10-2009, 14:48
hi! i'm new to modding m2tw. i've gotten everything right so far, i have downloaded patch 1.1, unpacked the files, deleted the descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt files, and i picked the io.file_first method

mymod is working fine and nothing is crashing so far. my only problem is, the changes i make don't happen either :embarassed:

i tried changing the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names file by changing london to asdfg for trial and it hasn't changed in the game. also, i see a difference in the instructions, coz my file looks like this.

¬
{Acre}Acre
{Acre_Province}Acre Region
{Adana}Adana
{Adana_Province}Adana Region
{Ajaccio}Ajaccio
{Ajaccio_Province}Ajaccio Region
{Aleppo}Aleppo
{Aleppo_Province}Aleppo Region
{Alexandria}Alexandria
{Alexandria_Province}Alexandria Region
{Algiers}Algiers
{Algiers_Province}Algiers Region
{Angers}Angers
{Angers_Province}Angers Region
{Antioch}Antioch
{Antioch_Province}Antioch Region
{Antwerp}Antwerp
{Antwerp_Province}Antwerp Region
{Arguin}Arguin
{Arguin_Province}Arguin Region
{Arhus}Arhus
{Arhus_Province}Arhus Region
{Baghdad}Baghdad
{Baghdad_Province}Baghdad Region
{Bern}Bern
{Bern_Province}Bern Region
{Bologna}Bologna
{Bologna_Province}Bologna Region
{Bordeaux}Bordeaux
{Bordeaux_Province}Bordeaux Region
{Bran}Bran
{Bran_Province}Bran Region
{Brazil}Brazil
{Breslau}Breslau
{Breslau_Province}Breslau Region
{Bruges}Bruges
{Bruges_Province}Bruges Region
{Bucharest}Bucharest
{Bucharest_Province}Bucharest Region
{Budapest}Budapest
{Budapest_Province}Budapest Region
{Bulgar}Bulgar
{Caen}Caen
{Caen_Province}Caen Region
{Caernarvon}Caernarvon
{Caernarvon_Province}Caernarvon Region
{Caesarea}Caesarea
{Caesarea_Province}Caesarea Region
{Caffa}Caffa
{Caffa_Province}Caffa Province
{Cagliari}Cagliari
{Cagliari_Province}Cagliari Region
{Cairo}Cairo
{Cairo_Province}Cairo Region
{Caribbean}Caribbean
{Caribbean_Isles}Caribbean Isles
{Cholula}Cholula
{Cholula_Province}Texcoco Region
{Constantinople}Constantinople
{Constantinople_Province}Constantinople Region
{Cordoba}Cordoba
{Cordoba_Province}Cordoba Region
{Corinth}Corinth
{Corinth_Province}Corinth Region
{Cracow}Krakow
{Cracow_Province}Krakow Region
{Damascus}Damascus
{Damascus_Province}Damascus Region
{Dijon}Dijon
{Dijon_Province}Dijon Region
{Dongola}Dongola
{Dongola_Province}Dongola Region
{Dublin}Dublin
{Dublin_Province}Dublin Region
{Durazzo}Durazzo
{Durazzo_Province}Durazzo Region
{Edessa}Edessa
{Edessa_Province}Edessa Region
{Edinburgh}Edinburgh
{Edinburgh_Province}Edinburgh Region
{Florence}Florence
{Florence_Province}Florence Region
{Fortaleza}Fortaleza
{Frankfurt}Frankfurt
{Frankfurt_Province}Frankfurt Region
{Gaza}Gaza
{Gaza_Province}Gaza Region
{Genoa}Genoa
{Genoa_Province}Genoa Region
{Granada}Granada
{Granada_Province}Granada Region
{Halych}Halych
{Halych_Province}Halych Region
{Hamburg}Hamburg
{Hamburg_Province}Hamburg Region
{Helsinki}Helsinki
{Helsinki_Province}Helsinki Region
{Hohenstauffen}Staufen
{Hohenstauffen_Province}Staufen Region
{Iasi}Iasi
{Iasi_Province}Iasi Region
{Iconium}Iconium
{Iconium_Province}Iconium Region
{Innsbruck}Innsbruck
{Innsbruck_Province}Innsbruck Region
{Inverness}Inverness
{Inverness_Province}Inverness Region
{Iraklion}Iraklion
{Isle_of_Crete}Isle of Crete
{Isle_of_Cyprus}Isle of Cyprus
{Isle_of_Rhodes}Isle of Rhodes
{Jedda}Jedda
{Jedda_Province}Jedda Region
{Jerusalem}Jerusalem
{Jerusalem_Province}Jerusalem Region
{Kiev}Kiev
{Kiev_Province}Kiev Region
{Leon}Leon
{Leon_Province}Leon Region
{Lisbon}Lisbon
{Lisbon_Province}Lisbon Region
{London}London
{London_Province}London Region
{Magdeburg}Magdeburg
{Magdeburg_Province}Magdeburg Region
{Marrakesh}Marrakesh
{Marrakesh_Province}Marrakesh Region
{Marseille}Marseille
{Marseille_Province}Marseille Region
{Metz}Metz
{Metz_Province}Metz Region
{Miccosukee}Miccosukee
{Milan}Milan
{Milan_Province}Milan Region
{Moscow}Moscow
{Moscow_Province}Moscow Region
{Mosul}Mosul
{Mosul_Province}Mosul Region
{Naples}Naples
{Naples_Province}Naples Region
{Nicaea}Nicaea
{Nicaea_Province}Nicaea Region
{Nicosia}Nicosia
{North_America}North America
{Nottingham}Nottingham
{Nottingham_Province}Nottingham Region
{Novgorod}Novgorod
{Novgorod_Province}Novgorod Region
{Nuremburg}Nuremburg
{Nuremburg_Province}Nuremburg Region
{Oslo}Oslo
{Oslo_Province}Oslo Region
{Palermo}Palermo
{Palermo_Province}Palermo Region
{Pamplona}Pamplona
{Pamplona_Province}Pamplona Region
{Paris}Paris
{Paris_Province}Paris Region
{Prague}Prague
{Prague_Province}Prague Region
{Ragusa}Ragusa
{Ragusa_Province}Ragusa Region
{Rennes}Rennes
{Rennes_Province}Rennes Region
{Rheims}Rheims
{Rheims_Province}Rheims Region
{Rhodes}Rhodes
{Riga}Riga
{Riga_Province}Riga Region
{Roman_Province}Rome Region
{Rome}Rome
{Ryazan}Ryazan
{Ryazan_Province}Ryazan Region
{Sarkel}Sarkel
{Sarkel_Province}Sarkel Region
{Smolensk}Smolensk
{Smolensk_Province}Smolensk Region
{Smyrna}Smyrna
{Smyrna_Province}Smyrna Region
{Sofia}Sofia
{Sofia_Province}Sofia Region
{Stettin}Stettin
{Stettin_Province}Stettin Region
{Stockholm}Stockholm
{Stockholm_Province}Stockholm Region
{Tbilisi}Tbilisi
{Tbilisi_Province}Tbilisi Region
{Tenochtitlan}Tenochtitlan
{Tenochtitlan_Province}Tenochtitlan Region
{Thessalonica}Thessalonica
{Thessalonica_Province}Thessalonica Region
{Thorn}Thorn
{Thorn_Province}Thorn Region
{Timbuktu}Timbuktu
{Timbuktu_Province}Timbuktu Region
{Tlaxcala}Tlaxcala
{Tlaxcala_Province}Tlaxcala Region
{Toledo}Toledo
{Toledo_Province}Toledo Region
{Toulouse}Toulouse
{Toulouse_Province}Toulouse Region
{Trebizond}Trebizond
{Trebizond_Province}Trebizond Region
{Tripoli}Tripoli
{Tripoli_Province}Tripoli Region
{Tunis}Tunis
{Tunis_Province}Tunis Region
{Valencia}Valencia
{Valencia_Province}Valencia Region
{Venice}Venice
{Venice_Province}Venice Region
{Vienna}Vienna
{Vienna_Province}Vienna Region
{Vilnius}Vilnius
{Vilnius_Province}Vilnius Region
{Volga-Bulgar_Province}Volga-Bulgar Region
{Yerevan}Yerevan
{Yerevan_Province}Yerevan Region
{York}York
{York_Province}York Region
{Zagreb}Zagreb
{Zagreb_Province}Zagreb Region
{Zaragoza}Zaragoza
{Zaragoza_Province}Zaragoza Region

while the guide says it should be something like
{London} London

note that the guide says it has a tab spacing in between the } and the L in London

i'm not sure if this is the problem, but it seems like it. i also tried adding a tab in between mine, but still no effect.

i repeat, i can play the game just fine. i just can't mod it!

do i have a different version of the game? is there something i'm missing here? please help me. thanks!

Philbo
12-13-2009, 18:02
Just wanted to say thanks for this tutorial!

Looking forward to some modding fun!:2thumbsup:

twoshoes101
02-07-2010, 20:59
i downloaded the 1.1 version and did the set up. i went into the tool folder and tried the unpack_all.bat it operates up as far as about 22000/36000 files. then it stops and the window closes. the game works are usual and there isnt any noticible changes.
no extra information is to be seen anywhere in the medieval 2 data folder

any help would be much appreciated

GeneralMikeIII
06-14-2010, 04:54
Are you running Vista or Windows 7? Try checking this out:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?101602-The-unpacker-Using-Vista

Hakomar
07-03-2010, 04:48
What do I do if I use steam? My computer rejects the disk version for some idiotic reason, so I must use steam, but the medieval2.exe @mymod.cfg doesn't work because it uses a different launcher.

Squid
07-03-2010, 14:59
You can modify the launch options for med2 (or kingdoms) to use a specific configuration file, or you can use my tool over at Total War Center which allows you to modify the kingdoms launcher screen to add additional mod to it.

Hakomar
07-03-2010, 15:47
How do I modify the launch options? I can't access TWC for some reason.

Squid
07-04-2010, 00:28
Its one of the options when selecting a game but before launching it in steam.

Hakomar
07-04-2010, 02:27
I know the set launch options, just what do I put in it?

AndorranPrince
07-04-2010, 23:57
I can't find the text folder :'( Help?

Squid
07-05-2010, 02:23
You need to unpack the game first, please read the first post in the thread at least before asking questions.

Hakomar
07-06-2010, 09:51
What do I put in the launch options Squid?

Squid
07-06-2010, 15:54
It was in the last part of the first post put @mymod.cfg
in the launch option where the mymod.cfg is replaced by the name of the config file you want it to use.

Hakomar
07-06-2010, 23:51
Oops. Sorry for wasting yoir time, but thanks for the help squid.

Potent_Schraphlon
10-20-2010, 12:40
Hi. I'm completely new to modding and don't really know what I'm doing. So I followed these instructions using the options to directly edit the .strings.bins and the io.file_first and I have a couple of questions:
1. I don't have a mymod folder, I'll just be changing the original files. Is that right?
2. Will this allow me to change unit stats, and if so, how do I do that?

Squid
10-23-2010, 03:14
1. Yes
2. Same way you would in a mod folder (EDU).

Potent_Schraphlon
10-24-2010, 11:34
I've got it sorted now, thanks for the help.

BHCluster
11-06-2010, 22:29
First of all thank you alpaca for this tutorial...

I have followed it to the letter but it didn't work at all, for me that is so I did a bit of experimenting and solved the problem, and this is what I did:

1. Installed the game (Medieval II Total War)
2. Installed patch 1.1 than 1.2
3. Followed your instructions in Section 1 to the letter
3.1 Edited the "unpack_all.bat" found in the "Medieval II Total War\tools\unpacker" folder by right clicking on the "unpack_all.bat" file and selecting properties and under "Atributes:"removed the tick from the box, and then clicked Apply and then OK.
3.2 Then right clicked again on to the "unpack_all.bat" file and then selecting Edit after which I have changed the existing text to "unpacker.exe --source=..\..\packs\*.pack --destination=..\..\backup --verbosity=1" after which I have clicked File -> Save and then closed file.
3.3 Now I have double clicked the "unpack_all.bat" file and entered "Y" 3 times after which I have waited until it has finished extraction.
3.4 [COLOR="Red"]Deleated "descr_geography_new.db and descr_geography_new.txt" as instructed.
4. Used your mod folder installer (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=76099).
5. Double clicked onto the "mymod.bat" after which everything worked fine.

Hope this helps to those who had the same problem as I did...

Aragorn Ellesar
05-31-2012, 13:55
Cant run the mymod.bat plz some help and sorry for wasting your time

TotalWarVet
09-18-2012, 19:38
Hey there Alpaca et al. Haven't been on in a long time. My old mods were lost when my xp box went south about a year ago. Lost tens of hours of work. Finally reinstalled game on my new win7/64 bit box. Have all the files unpacked and have no probs editing the unpacked .txt files. One issue though. The only versions of python available these days are 2.7... and 3... (64bit & 32 bit). For some reason your python script to convert the strings.bin files doesn't seem to work anymore. Tried it on my new box using 64 bit python 2.7..then on an older vista box using 32 bit version and in both cases no luck. I have the .py file & the convert.bat in the text directory.

Found the issue with Alpaca's python script. The os.listdir function doesn't like the argument for the all option under Windows 7/Python 2.7... (not sure if I had the same issue under XP/Python 2.5). All you have to do is to actually list the files one per call of the .py script in a .bat file and it works.

Example: convert_2.bat (contents below)

strings_bin_converter.py imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt
strings_bin_converter.py battle_descriptions.txt

BTW, for all those interested, Orly Silva Junior's string.bin editor still doesn't work nor has it ever worked for me (didn't even work on my old xp box) eventhough .net framework is installed. All it does is show the contents and potentially allow additions and deletions, although I have never bothered to verify that it even does this.

Aragorn Ellesar, not sure what your issue is or whether it has been addressed elsewhere. I'd be happy to help if you let me know what you are doing and what is going wrong.

Tellos Athenaios
09-22-2012, 00:28
Shameless plug: you might want to use the CUF tool. It understands both types of strings.bin files, and with the little script I wrote as proof of concept here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=7588995#post7588995) you can use it to convert both types of file in both ways.

LanceM
11-06-2012, 20:52
i have followed instruction i have edited names of the moors faction, now when i play there are no name for anyone, Help please.

luock
02-20-2013, 14:33
I may sound like an idiot, but Kingdoms gets messed up and I can't play after I've unpacked. The vanilla one is fine but just not those.

xxmartinxx
02-18-2016, 15:11
anything is fine, but when i end the deployment and click start battle, it crush and tell me the game encountered error and automatically exit. Why?? please reply,thank you......

jsommons27
10-06-2016, 03:08
I am having issues with 1.1 as I have downloaded the files and followed the readme but when i go to run the convert.all.bat file it acts like it's opening a command prompt but nothing follows. I am new to mtw2 modding but I have experience modding skyrim, new vegas and other bethesda games just not in the scripting department. this seems like a great place to start learning it just hitting a few road bumps and need a bit of help. So I am no noob to say but in some aspects I am.

Anarchon
03-29-2021, 00:30
This is wonderful. But I need something like this guide for RTW-Alexander under Steam.
Please can someone point me to somewher which has it.
Thx
Anarchon

Suraknar
03-31-2022, 09:13
This is wonderful. But I need something like this guide for RTW-Alexander under Steam.
Please can someone point me to somewher which has it.
Thx
Anarchon

Hello,

Please look in the RTW Moding section in these forums :)

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php/72-R-TW-Modification

Cheers!

Suraknar
03-31-2022, 09:35
Hey Alpaca!

By the way I reinstalled Medieval 2 Definitive Edition, on STEAM, got an urge to play again. (I think they should make a Medieval 3 at one point with updated tech et all bigger map etc and modern moding options with the Steam workshop and Assembly Kits).

I created a small mod in io.file_first mode for my pleasure and started a campaign only to remember that I needed to modify the turns per year and then one thing led to another and stumbled upon a script to add traits and triggers to make it 4 turns per year with random long or short winters and with traits so that characters age appropriately and all of the sudden I needed to have a mod folder hah!

So there I found your thread which helped remember all this, and came back to me fast, your guide was great to follow to refresh old notions.

All is working fine so far, so I thought to just share a few things along the way for others benefit.

We do not need batch files per se anymore, just create Windows shortcut of "medieval2.exe" and
add the switch "--features.mod=mods/YourModFolderName"

Use that to launch it the game with the mod. (no need to create any new .cfg file either)

I created a Custom Folder in "mods", and copied over the "data\animations", "data\fmv", "data\sounds" and "data\world" folders then cleaned it up a bit by removing norman campaign folders and added my moded files wherever applicable.

The best thing is that we can add some strings.bin files such as example "export.VnVs.txt" directly written in .txt format with only the parts we want to add and it parses them in to the bin files.

So I did not have to convert the .bin to .txt or use that tool to edit them directly (which maybe outdated by this version anyways).

So far so good all works, Cheers!