PDA

View Full Version : How to recruit generals

Stargazer
12-29-2006, 08:15
I am tired of the game messing up my family tree. So I will stop adopting anyone and want to recruit generals from a building. (If there is a console command that will let me create generals that is also good.):yes:

Can someone give me a hint about how to do that?

I am using the Lands to Conquer mod and would like to add this to it.

billiam_maillib
12-29-2006, 10:06
generals, as in named characters(aka family members) or generals as in generals bodyguards?

Stargazer
12-29-2006, 11:41
In between. Not family members, but named Generals that can command. The kind you get after "Man of the Hour" events.

I know how to mod in just the General's bodyguard. There is a lot written about that on the forums.

What I want is to create governors.

Aegis
12-29-2006, 14:47
Just add the bodyguard unit (see export_descr_unit.txt for what bodyguard goes with each faction) as a recruitable unit to an appropriate building in export_descr_buildings.txt

For example, if you want the English to recruit generals, add the following line to a building of your chioce (play around with the numbers for different pool and resupply rate):
recruit_pool "NE Bodyguard" 1 0.7 1 0 requires factions { england, }

Recruiting this unit in-game will automatically give you a non-family, named character with a "General" title, like in RTW: BI (and just plain RTW for that matter, though it's not there by default). That is, you'll essentially get a family member with some basic commander attributes that is not part of your family tree, and does not marry/reproduce. For some reason, they seem to end up with low loyalty for me though, but I suppose it could just be bad luck.

If that's not the kind of thing you're after, I don't know what you're talking about.

Stargazer
12-29-2006, 19:11
That is exactly what I am after. Trying right away.

Thank you. :yes:

dopp
01-01-2007, 05:28
Loyalty is a function of traits. You'll have to add a trigger to give generals LoyaltyStarter upon creation.

Aegis
01-01-2007, 13:25
Actually, no, they have the standard loyalty. A trained general triggers some event, but I don't think it's the ComesOfAge one. Judging from the traits I'm seeing, I would guess it's the same one as Man of the Hour captains, but I'll need to do some testing there.
Anyway, the problem is that they seem to get bad traits as well (disloyal etc.), that brings their loyalty down to 2 or 3. Then again, just yesterday, I got one with loyalty 8, so like I said, I might just have had poor luck.

Stargazer
01-01-2007, 15:58
I really like my mini mod. It has let me keep a very tidy family tree.

Generals almost never come out with good traits, so I keep buying them until one with neutral traits comes up. The bad ones I use for rebel hunting. They regenerate and save me some micromanaging.

ramladu
01-04-2007, 02:23
Greetings,

I tried the instructions above. I am Poland and made sure poland has the

NE Bodyguard

I added the following to (exerpt of my export_descr_buildings.txt):

building equestrian
{
levels stables knights_stables barons_stables earls_stables kings_stables
{
stables castle requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
{
capability
{
recruit_pool "Hobilars" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { england, }
recruit_pool "NE Bodyguard" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { poland, }

It did not work. Interestingly, I've been trying to further empower Polish knights by giving them more melee attack and a stronger charge. That has not been achieved either. It's as if the changes made in any file with an "export" prefix is not being recognized by the game. I also created some names in a couple of the names files and those are not recognized either when I try to rename my starting general in the descr_strat file. The only things that seem to get reflected in my game are the changes I make in my descr_strat file. That file is in the same folder as all the export prefixed files.

Thank you

Aegis
01-04-2007, 03:00
Sounds like you didn't specify input from files first. If you don't, the game will read the file from the packs first if possible (I expect desc_strat.txt is not part of the packs, hence why changes to that showed up). Either one of these should work:
1) Add "--io.file_first" to the command line when you start the game (shortcut, .bat file, or from the terminal)
2) Add the following to your medieval2.preference.cfg file (assuming you're not using a mod folder, in that case, add it to your custom .cfg):
[io]
file_first = 1

serenius4tsd
01-04-2007, 17:24
Poland cant recruit NE Bodyguards, only EE Bodyguards.

Aegis
01-04-2007, 17:32
No, Poland uses NE bodyguards. EE bodyguards are exclusive to Russia.