PDA

View Full Version : Trouble With Gunpowder Infantry...

Aegis
01-03-2007, 03:42
Long story short, I wanted to experiment a bit with different settings for gunpowder units, created a duplicate of the Arquebusier unit and gave it to England (England has access to the original unit too by default, I might add) so that I could compare the original and the experimental one side-by-side. However, I have run into a rather odd problem and I have no idea what the cause might be.

Basically, instead of an entire rank firing at the same time (more or less), most soldiers raise their guns but only a few actually fire, perhaps 5-10 out of 20, and at fairly random intervals. In addition to the firing sound, I occasionally hear scattered bow-sounds, though no projectile seems to be fired (except from the soldiers that actually do fire their guns).

I've run into this several times, and several times I've re-created the unit from the original. I've only edited damage, range, ammo count, sometimes experimented with body/armor piercing attributes and defense just for fun, but I can't think of anything that would cause anything like this. At no point did any of the values, except ammo count (30 -> 50), exceed reasonable values, or values that can be found elsewhere in other units, including already existing gunpowder units. Apart from the variables I've mentioned, nothing else has changed from the original unit.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Warluster
01-03-2007, 08:21
Well the part where they fire at diffrent times is fine! That is what they do normally, some guys lift there gun but dont fire, then the person next to them does, a short while they do, they was in the orignal. But the part about the Twinging noise's, I dont know, is that the only file you have been modding/editing?

Aegis
01-03-2007, 14:06
As I said, I can compare the original and the edited unit side by side, and my edited one does certainly not work as intended (well, either that, or every other gunpowder unit in the game doesn't). Every other unit gunpowder unit has the entire first rank fire within 1-2 seconds. My edited one has, at best, half the soldiers in the rank fire at all, and with 0.5-1 seconds delay between shots.

Apart from the traits, ancillaries and their description (6 files), the buildings, and the rebel faction file, no other files are edited. In fact, the first 6 files are not edited at all, they just exist in my mod folder, and I don't think the rebel factions were edited either (the only reason I have it there at all was because the logs generated warnings if I didn't). I have a hard time believing the building file would do something like this, and like I said, pretty much all the variables in the original Arquebusier and my edited one match.

Warluster
01-03-2007, 22:16
Well, I am afraid I do not know aboout the delay, Maybe in one of those Files you edited something which made it go a bit cuckoo?

Poposhka
01-08-2007, 06:05
i've seen the same behavior, instead of lining up in fire lines, they will line up as if they are marching behind the general - then when the enemy comes closer they get off maybe one salvo if im lucky -- then they get overrun.

the original units work fine.

Lord Xenophon
01-23-2007, 15:48
ahh i know the answer aegis. it did that in my mod. check ezport_descr_unit

and then goto their attribute. their should be one called fire_by_rank. if its not there then put it in. it happened for mine. lol now i repay you.

Aegis
01-23-2007, 22:18
It's there. Tried both with and without it. That's not the problem.

In any case, sometimes they work perfectly (or at least, the current version does). They seem to have trouble firing (and using bow sounds) when they have trouble getting a clear line of fire. On steep slopes and when terrain partially block the target, it seems to happen more often. I'm not sure if that's the cause or just a factor that makes it more explicit, but at least at the moment, my unit seem to work if they are given open terrain to work with. I don't remember seeing that problem in the default units though.

Lord Xenophon
01-24-2007, 12:36
hmm thats wierd. in my game they fired out of sync and made wierd noises. i added fire_by_rank and it worked fine after that.........i made sure it was in a mod folder though, and in the original game file.

Aegis
01-25-2007, 21:05
By pure coincidence, I think I managed to discover something. As I said, sometimes the unit works like they should (apart from the bow sounds), sometimes they don't. Turns out, they start acting up whenever I enable skirmish mode. I tried it in a battle earlier. Enabled skirmish mode, sporadic fire. Disabled it, entire rank fired. Enabled it again, problem came back, and so on. I have no idea why that is, though.