PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer problem please help!

Quickening
01-03-2007, 22:27
I was trying to have an online game with someone tonight. We both have MTW2 patched to 1.1.
Anyway, first we both get "invalid CD key" messages but if we keep trying we eventually get in. However, on my PC, there are no online games listed! Does anyone know why that is? The refresh button is greyed out.

sapi
01-04-2007, 06:41
A port fowarding issue maybe?

Keith_the_Great
01-04-2007, 07:53
my problem is similar but still slightly diffrent from yours.

after i've hosted a game, i'm disconnected from gamespy, if i try to relog, without first restarting MTW2, theres no games listed or other people online.

thus i have to shut-down mtw2 :inquisitive: then i have to restart the game.

juliusczr
01-04-2007, 18:16
Mine is also simalar when I go to log-in I put the info in correctly but it says, "invalad CD key". But there is no way to re enter it. If there is then where?

Dionysus9
01-04-2007, 19:03
I've heard of people reinstalling MTW, re-entering the CD key and it working. I dont know if that is a sure-fire fix, but it might work.

Kronos
01-04-2007, 19:20
Ok, to change the cd-key without having to go through the unpleasantness of a complete reinstall and patchng again do this:

go to: start/ run

Type in Regedit which will open the registry

Expand: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SEGA

Then click on Medieval II Total War which will show between 3 and 6 registry's one of which being CD Key.

Right click on that and modify.

Now U can put in the correct CD key. Don't forget to put in the "-" between each 4 digits, and if it's in capitals type it in in capitals, but if it's in lower case type it in in lower case. Also there's no o's in a CD Key only 0's (Zero's).

Hope this helps:beam:

As for the original problem my best guess would be u need to forward ports without knowing more info.

juliusczr
01-04-2007, 19:39
Ok, to change the cd-key without having to go through the unpleasantness of a complete reinstall and patchng again do this:

go to: start/ run

Type in Regedit which will open the registry

Expand: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SEGA

Then click on Medieval II Total War which will show between 3 and 6 registry's one of which being CD Key.

Right click on that and modify.

Now U can put in the correct CD key. Don't forget to put in the "-" between each 4 digits, and if it's in capitals type it in in capitals, but if it's in lower case type it in in lower case. Also there's no o's in a CD Key only 0's (Zero's).

Hope this helps:beam:

As for the original problem my best guess would be u need to forward ports without knowing more info.

WOW! That did it, problem solved. Thanks! I never knew I could do that. How did you know about that? :yes: :jawdrop: :charge: :whip:

RTKBarrett
01-04-2007, 19:55
WOW! That did it, problem solved. Thanks! I never knew I could do that. How did you know about that? :yes: :jawdrop: :charge: :whip:

lol Kronos basically told everyone in the MP community from day 1...
U have no idea how p*ssed i was before he came with the answer :inquisitive:

Puzz3D
01-04-2007, 22:49
lol Kronos basically told everyone in the MP community from day 1...
U have no idea how p*ssed i was before he came with the answer.
You can break your operating system doing that if you make a mistake. Then it would have been even more upsetting.

Stig
01-04-2007, 23:02
You can break your operating system doing that if you make a mistake. Then it would have been even more upsetting.
that's why one should do it in safe-mode ... they say

Puzz3D
01-05-2007, 00:01
that's why one should do it in safe-mode ... they say
You could also create a restore point before you start editing the registry. I don't think editing the registry is the official way to change the CD-Key. That's a "do it at your own risk" fix. It's strange because none of the previous games made it this difficult to change the CD-Key.

Kronos
01-05-2007, 12:54
Well it's harder to make a mistake than not is the short answer :smash:
To actually bugger it up u have to disregard everything I said after going into the registry and go around randomly modifying/deleting stuff.

Anyway there's no *official* way to change the CDKey so the only 2 ways are this or a complete reinstall.

JusWizWar
01-14-2007, 06:19
disconnected from gamespy:
I too am being disconnected from gamespy. I found a bit of info on firewalls/proxy at: http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/firewalls.shtml

This helped but didn't solve my problem, port forwarding is also no good.

I'm on a wireless network and turned off the Linksys moniter of my broadband, which also helped. (great connection speed) I got one game in and the the BAD NEWS came back on being dropped every 30 seconds. Anyone else have any suggestings? I have reinstalled MTW2 twice and this is a new install of xp also.

UglyStrike
01-14-2007, 06:50
I also have a similiar problem. After I host a game I have to exit completely out to windows. Not for my sake but because some people get a "Nav???" when they try to enter my next game. Others will not. *shrugs* If I relog all those problems go away.

ElmarkOFear
01-14-2007, 08:39
Its an NAT error Strike :) Not sure why I am one of those people though, it is very odd.

I just missed you tonight online. You were in a game when I got on around midnight. The kids kept me busy playing with them. :)