PDA

View Full Version : Having modding problems

Carl
01-07-2007, 23:14
I'm new to TW game modding and it differs quite a lot in some ways from the DoW modding I’m doing ATM.

Right now I can't even get the game to start up with the modifications in place, (and they ARE quite big changes, 24 attack on gen bodyguard cav for instance). I’m trying the no bat file method, (as I don't know what a bat file is, or how to create one, plus I can't find the post explaining how to use a .bat file to run a mod anyway), and it's not working, could someone who’s got it working lead me through it (.bat file method or another one).

The .cfg file I’m using, (called MyMod.cfg), with the current method is as follows:

[audio]
enable = 1
master_vol = 100
music_vol = 60
provider = Miles Fast 2D Positional Audio
sfx_vol = 100
speech_enable = 1
speech_vol = 100
sub_faction_accents = 1

[camera]
default_in_battle = rts
move = 50
restrict = 0
rotate = 50

[controls]
campaign_scroll_max_zoom = 30
campaign_scroll_min_zoom = 30
keyset = 0

[game]
advanced_stats_always = 0
advisor_verbosity = 3
ai_factions = follow
allusers = 1
auto_save = 1
blind_advisor = 0
campaign_map_game_speed = 5
campaign_map_speed_up = 0
campaign_num_time_play = 13
chat_msg_duration = 10000
disable_arrow_markers = 0
disable_events = 0
english = 0
event_cutscenes = 1
fatigue = 1
first_time_play = 0
label_characters = 0
label_settlements = 1
micromanage_all_settlements = 1
morale = 1
mute_advisor = 0
no_campaign_battle_time_limit = 1
pref_factions_played = 2097165
tutorial_battle_played = 1
tutorial_path = norman_prologue/battle_of_hastings
unit_size = normal
use_quickchat = 0

[multiplayer]
hotseat_autoresolve_battles = 0
hotseat_disable_console = 1
hotseat_disable_papal_elections = 0
hotseat_save_prefs = 0
hotseat_update_ai_camera = 0
hotseat_validate_diplomacy = 1

[network]
use_ip =
use_port = 27750

[ui]
SA_cards = show
buttons = show
full_battle_HUD = 1
radar = show
show_tooltips = 1
unit_cards = show

[video]
anisotropic_level = 0
anti_alias_mode = off
antialiasing = 0
assassination_movies = 1
autodetect = 0
battle_resolution = 1024 768
bloom = 1
building_detail = high
campaign_resolution = 1024 768
depth_shadows = 1
depth_shadows_resolution = 2
effect_quality = normal
event_movies = 1
gamma = 128
grass_distance = 50
infiltration_movies = 1
no_background_fmv = 0
reflection = 0
sabotage_movies = 1
shader = 2
show_banners = 1
show_package_litter = 1
skip_mip_levels = 2
splashes = 1
stencil_shadows = 1
subtitles = 0
terrain_quality = custom
texture_filtering = 1
unit_detail = normal
vegetation = 1
vegetation_quality = normal
vsync = 1
widescreen = 0

[features]
mod = MyMod

Thankd for any help.

alpaca
01-07-2007, 23:20
You have to use a bat file or a shortcut telling the game to run this config file. You can do that by adding @MyMod.cfg as an argument to the shortcut.

Carl
01-07-2007, 23:45
I'bve added the bit at the end of the shortcut with no sucsess, (i even tried adding it to the defualt .cfg file with no luck).

The shortcut path i'm using is:

"C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe" "@MyMod.cfg"

The MyMod folder filepath is:
C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total\MyMod

Thats correct isn't it? (As i say I can't find the post explaning it properly anymore).

Also I don't know what a .bat file is or how to use one, would you be willing to explain please?

Aegis
01-07-2007, 23:46
Batch (.bat) files are easy to create. Just create a file of any type and name it "[something].bat". Right click it, select edit (or similar), then type in what you want it to do. You can even go into a texteditor like notepad, write in the commands, then save as a .bat file. In this case, I'm guessing all you need to enter is (assuming, of course, you have already told the program to read from files):
medieval2.exe @MyMod.cfg

If you use a shorcut, the target for it should look like this:
"X:\Games\Medieval 2 Total War\medieval2.exe" @MyMod.cfg

Carl
01-08-2007, 00:00
taking the extra quotes off didn't work, how do you make it use a .bat file anyway? (sorry but I know nothing about it). in addittion, when i added:

[features]
mod = MyMod

to the defualt prefrances file it should have used the MyMod data then anway shouldn't it? (i.e. with the normal shortcut).

yet it isn't. it's really annoying me as i've had an idea on the Formed charge issue I want to check out. The 24 attack is just to make sure I know it's working.

Aegis
01-08-2007, 00:15
Okay, from step one...

Create a copy of the "medieval2.preference.cfg" file in your M2TW folder. Rename it "MyMod.cfg". Open it and add the following lines somewhere (presumably at the top):

[io]
file_first = 1

[features]
mod = MyMod

Next, open notepad. Add this line to an empty text document:

medieval2.exe @MyMod.cfg
Save the file in your M2TW folder (where the .exe is) as "MyMod.bat".

Run the file.

Carl
01-08-2007, 00:43
Thanks for that, unfortuantaly the changes STILL arn't showing up allthough the .bat file is running fine and that.

Or would they not show up in the unit summary in quick battle?

If not, how would I know they are working?

If they should show up, any idea what i'm doing wrong?

p.s. thanks for all that and sorry if i was grumpy sounding earlier, I was getting frustrated, a LOT~:(.

Just done a check and edited the MyMod.cfg file to not show cutscene events and it's still showing the generals death cutscenes so i don't think it's using that .cfg file, I just wish i knew why.

Lusted
01-08-2007, 01:05
Make sure you haven't called the .cfg mymod.cfg.cfg, thats what i did by mistake when renaming it. Just called it mymod.

Carl
01-08-2007, 01:14
Just tried what you said lusted, i've also tried modifing the defualt medievil2.prefrance file so it runs the mod and it dosen't work (allthough the no cutscenes now applies). it's simply not using the modified files and is thus i think ignoring the modified cfg file. is their an error log anywhere i can check to confirm what set of files it's using?

Aegis
01-08-2007, 01:16
Then I would guess you've done something wrong when setting up the folder.

1) Unpack all files, I would recommend to the default data directory (i.e. just use the unpack_all.bat or whatever it's called that you got with the patch).

2) Create a folder in the main M2TW folder called "MyMod".

3) ... "data" in your "MyMod" folder.

4) ... "world" in MyMod\data.

5) ... "maps" in MyMod\data\world.

6) ... "campaign" in MyMod\data\world\maps.

7) ... "text" in MyMod\data.

8) From the default data folder, copy the "data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign" folder into "MyMod\data\world\maps\campaign\" folder (so it'll look identical to the original).

9) ... copy "data\world\maps\base" folder into "MyMod\data\world\maps\" folder.

10) Copy "data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt" file into the "MyMod\data\text" folder.

11) Create the new MyMod.cfg and mymod.bat files (see previous post).

12) Copy whatever files you want to edit from the original data folder into your MyMod\data folder (and make new folders for the files if you need to). For example, if you just want to edit unit stats, only copy "export_descr_units.txt".

13) Edit the files, run the game.

Lusted
01-08-2007, 01:18
You also need the sound folder from data folder in the mymod\data folder

Aegis
01-08-2007, 01:18
(Should've updated thread before posting)

Anyway, if the cutscenes go away, I assume the mod folder is actually working. What files have you been editing and in what way?

Carl
01-08-2007, 01:22
they only go away when i replace the contents of the Medievil.prefrance file with those of the MyMod.cfg file. If i use the .bat file they remain even though the MyMod.cfg file says they shouldn't.

I've removed the Generals Bodygaurds secondery weapon (which I belive is their none lance weapon), and upped their base attack to 24 so I can see at a glance if it's working. Done this for the one used by england and both late and early bodygaurds are affected. it's not showing up in the UI at all.

WAIT, want to check somthing, give me a minute.

Scratch that, I hadn't created a data folder within the MyMod folder. Did that and everything you asked, (except copying the contents of the Text folder across as their isn't on in my game, i havn't got the patch yet, (been enjoy the game too much), and have got my files from the download that came out pre-patch).

Still not working.

Aegis
01-08-2007, 01:34
Oh, sorry. I meant "data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin" to "MyMod\data\text". Forgot they were not in text format by default.

You... don't have the patch...? Uhm, I would recommend getting that first...

Carl
01-08-2007, 02:05
Actually I meant their is no folder named text in my M2TW instalatian data folder.

Aegis
01-08-2007, 02:18
Indeed. That's because you haven't unpacked the files, which in turn is because you don't have the patch that enables you to do that. Get it and unpack the files before you go any further.

Carl
01-08-2007, 02:45
Well I DO have the unpacked files as it happens, the pre-patch ones though and no-one seemed to have the unpacker (or need it), pre patch.

As you say I do need it though just for the cav charge improvments. On the other hand, all this SHOULD be working, people didn't have the unpacker pre-patch and got by fine with the files I downloaded so why dosen't it work for me?

Downloading the patch now BTW.

Aegis
01-08-2007, 03:11
Maybe you don't need it, I don't know. I have the patch and things work, so I know it will work for you as well. I don't know if it's possible in the old version and if so how, because I've never tried it. If you're using the old version for whatever reason, I can't help you. Like I said, I've never tried it myself or even heard of anyone except you who have, so it might be impossible for all I know. Come to think of it, prior to the patch, I never even heard of any editable datafiles, except those that were there from the start.

Carl
01-08-2007, 13:59
Well their where a few members, (Musashi and Dopp), who messed with it and CA released the files for them to do so with.

Got it patched aqnyway and it gives you some instructions in theior on getting it working.

I even think I know why your method didn't work, no worries though, and sorry if I was grumpy I shoudn't have let myself do that.