PDA

View Full Version : Capo de Tutti Capi [Concluded]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Seamus Fermanagh
01-08-2007, 16:40
Another Mafia story begins...

Sign ups will be open until 1200 EST 1/16/7; no sign-ups will be taken past that point. Roles will be assigned and day one voting begun no later than 5pm EST.

Signed up so far -- 56 (thru 1800 EST 1/15/7):

Aggony Duck
Alexander the Pretty Good
Banquo's Ghost
Beirut
Big King Sanctaphrax
ByzantineKnight
Caius Flaminius
Copperhaired Berzerker
CountArach
Cowhead418
Crazed Rabbit
Destroyer of Hope
Doc_Bean
Drisos
Dutch Guy
General Hankerchief
Hepcat
HughTower
Ichigo [f.k.a. Csar]
Ignoramus
Ironside
Ituralde
JimBob
Kagemusha
Kommodus
Kralizec
Lord Motep of Kendermore
Louis VI The Fat
Major Robert Dump
Marcusbrutus
Masy
Moros
Orb
Omanes Alexandropolites
Pannonian
Papewaio
Peasant Phil
Pevergreen
Pindar
Proletariat
Redleg
Reenk Roink
Sasaki Kojiro
Sigurd Fafnesbane
Sir Boo
Sir Moody
Stig
theRTWGuru
The Stranger
Tom Hagen [nom-de-mafia for Don C]
Tribesman
Ultrawar
Warluster
Xdeathfire
Xiahou
Zalmoxis

Game Overview & Rules of Play:

Setting:

Fatlington, New Jersey, 1947: A Nor’easter has blown into town, paralyzing almost all external communication and leaving the town to its own resources. The budding mafia war that has been feared for some time breaks out during this period of chaos. Can the town save itself?

Goals:

Each Mafia family seeks to eliminate their rival mafia families (all other Dons dead) and have their members outnumber the surviving total of townies/opposition Mafiosi.

The Town seeks to eliminate all of the Mafia Dons and to outnumber the surviving Mafiosi. “Inactive” wise guys/gals count as Townies for this purpose.

Size: (55 players signed on; 55 remain interested)

There will be 3 Mafia Families: Barzini, Corleone, Tataglia (3 Dons, 3 Luca, 3 Mades).
Townies will include: 2 Detectives, 1 FBI Detective, 2 Doctors, 10-14 Wise Guys, & 27-31 Townies. Note, at least one secret role exists.

Game play Rules:

1. The dead may post, but not vote.

2. No screenshots may be used, from or to anyone, for any purpose – this includes during PMs. Feel free to quote from my PM’s to you or to fabricate as you see fit.

3. It is suggested that all players enable “invisible” mode so that technology is not used to trap you.

4. Phases: The usual sequence of 24-hour days and 24-hour nights will be followed. Some of these phases may be extended where necessary to account for outside events/unusual situations. In no instance will the time period be decreased below 24 hours. Please note, however, the first phase of this game will be a day phase (Day One) during which the initial Director’s selection (see roles below), but no lynching.

a) Day Phase: Each day the town may vote to lynch one suspect from among the list of players. Each townsperson save for the director can cast one vote (see below for procedure). On odd-numbered day phases, the town also votes to select a Director (see below for procedure). The game-master will write up the results of these votes and post them for general consumption, along with any juicy particulars about any executions. The game then proceeds to the next night phase.

b) Night Phase: Every role has something to do at night – even if your choice is to do nothing. Since every role can be active, with investigations attempted, murders, etc., all players must PM the game-master during each night phase to indicate their actions. The game-master will respond as quickly as possible, and will write up results that take effect immediately prior to the next day phase and voting.

5. Night Actions: Every player has the option to “get some sleep” on any given night. Depending on roles, you may be attempting a kill, investigating someone, or protecting someone instead.

a) You may participate in one and only one killing attempt or protection attempt each night.

b) Your PM's to me must indicate clearly your actions and provide all of the necessary information or you will be listed as "sleeping" that night. Feel free to provide whatever level of detail you wish. Within the constraints of playability I will endeavor to use all such material, but reserve the right to edit if necessary for game play.

6. Upon death, the local gendarmerie will launch a full investigation of that individual to try to determine the reason they were killed. Though slow (results reported on the 2nd day after death), their then-current role will be revealed. Unfortunately, the specific actions of that individual -- what they did with their role -- will remain a mystery (until the post-game!).

7. Voting: There are two types, lynch voting and Director selection. Each living townie save for the director may vote to lynch one townsperson per day. On odd-numbered days, each living townie may also vote for the next director.

a) To lynch a suspect: You may vote or not vote at your choice. Please be aware however, that persistently avoiding the voting process will result in your removal from play. While the game-master reserves the right to remove someone from play when/if needed at their discretion, as a “rule-of-thumb” missing 3 votes in a row or 5 overall is likely to result in your removal.

1) Legal vote choices include:

* voting by name for a living fellow townie to express your preference for their lynching
* voting “abstain” indicating you have no preference as to who is lynched
* voting “no lynch” indicating that you want no one lynched that day

2) To be counted, a vote MUST be posted in bold typeface using the following format:

e.g. Vote: Seamus

3) To change a vote, please post the following:

e.g. Unvote: TosaInu
Vote: Seamus

b) To select a Director: You may vote or not vote at your choice. You may NOT vote to leave the position unfilled.

1) To be counted, a vote MUST be posted in bold typeface using the following format:

e.g. Select: Seamus

2) To change a vote, please post the following:

e.g. Sack: TosaInu
Select: Seamus

8. The GM will adjudicate any remaining discrepancies as needed.

Available Roles (Usually referred to in the male singular, no disrespect intended):

Read carefully, there are NO roles that are simple villagers...even the simple villagers.

TOWNIE ROLES

Townie:
a) You have no special abilities. As with all residents of Fatlington, you may vote to lynch a suspect each day following day one. You may vote to elect Vigilance Directors on days 1, 3, 5 etc.
b) Most Townies will appear as “innocent” if investigated by a detective, though 1 in 10 will appear “criminal” despite their innocence. If investigated by a Made, most will appear “innocent” though 2 in 10 will appear “unclear.” This may change based on your actions during the game.
c) Townies may band together to kill one target per night phase, but must do so in groups of 4. If this strategy is chosen, you will appear “guilty/criminal” in subsequent investigations. Townies who have successfully accomplished 2 murders will all change roles to Wise Guy(Gal). Townies may also band together in groups of 3 to provide protection to one Townie (not in their group), functioning as a Doctor. 2 successful protections (attacked, did not die) allow them to select one of their group as a Doctor.

Detective:
a) You may investigate two persons per night phase. The investigation will list the individual as innocent (Townie, Don), criminal (Luca, Made not killing, Wise guy not having killed at all, and some townies), or guilty (Luca or Made on the night of kill, Wise guy or Townie who has killed – you either get the current kill or their whole track record as well). If a "guilty" person is discovered, there is some chance -- not a guarantee -- that the detective will also get information on previous kills and/or interesting data.
b) You will appear as “innocent” if investigated, unless and until your actions change your role.
c) Acts as a townie in most respects, but may not participate in a kill group. Other actions may cause role change.

Doctor:
a) May protect one person from murder each night phase. After 2 successful protections (different nights, attacked, did not die), the Doctor becomes a Surgeon.
b) You will appear as “innocent” if investigated, unless and until your actions change your role.
c) Acts as a townie in all other respects, though this may cause a role change.

Director of the Committee of Vigilance:
On the first day phase, and then on each odd numbered day phase thereafter, the town elects the person who will direct the lynching effort. That person shall be director for the next two lynchings following their selection (e.g. Elected Day 1, Director Day 2, Director Day 3, Elected Day 3, Director Day 4 & 5, etc.).
a) The Director will choose the lynching mode, carry out the lynching, and, in the event of a tie vote, the director will decide who among those tied for the most votes will be executed. The director can execute none, one, more, or all of those tied votees at their discretion. The Director is provided with a special goon squad to aid in the executions, and this squad also makes it impossible to kill the Director while they are in office. While directing the lynchings, the individual in question may not vote.
b) Investigations will function as per the Director’s other Role.
c) Ability to act at night is a function of the Director’s other Role.

FBI Detective:
a) May investigate two persons per night phase. Results, which parallel those of the regular detective, will not be available, however, until the beginning of the next night phase. FBI resources are slower, but will produce better and more informative results than a regular detective.
c) Acts as a townie in most respects, but may not participate in a kill group

Surgeon:
a) Functions in all respects as a Doctor, but anyone attacking the Surgeon’s protectee not only fails to kill the target, but has a 3 in 10 chance of dying in the attempt.
b) As Doctor.
c) As Doctor.

PIVOT ROLE

Wise Guy/Gal:
A wise guy/gal belongs to no criminal family…yet. They may be recruited by a family and start doing “wet work” for that family; they may “go straight” functioning as a regular townie and not getting involved in crime, or they may attempt to operate in conjunction with a group of individuals sharing the same wise guy/gal role, creating their own “family.”
a) Your abilities will vary with your level of support.
1) Wise guys can work with a crime family, forming kill groups on a 1 kill attempt per two Mades/Wise gal basis. A Wise guy becomes a “Made gangster” after having participating in 3 killings for a family and having received consent from the family don. They may or may not be made aware of the Don’s identity, at that family’s discretion. They do assume the investigative powers of a Made gangster as well as their investigation status.
2) Wise guys operating as an independent “family” have no Dons, Mades, or Lucas, and can perform only 1 killing for each 3 Wise guys. Following their 3rd successful murder, these 3 wise guys may choose one of their number to become a Made.
b) If investigated by a detective, the Wise guy will appear “criminal” if they have not been involved in a killing and “guilty” if they have…even if that killing was a while back. If investigated by a Made, they will appear either as “criminal” or “unclear.”
c) Alternatively the Wise guy may choose to function as a regular Townie, not participating in any criminal activity. If they assume a Townie role and become one of the Townie roles, they lose Wise guy status and turn to the "light side of the force."

MAFIOSO ROLES

Don(na):
A Don is the leader of her/his crime “family.” Their objective is to eliminate all of the other dons in the game, and to have more members in their crime “family” than the total of innocent townies and opposing criminals, thus gaining control and becoming the “Capo de tutti Capi.” At the outset of the game, only their Luca and the initial Made Gangster of the family know them.
A Don normally cannot kill opponents during a “night” phase, and must work through others. If the Don has lost all the other members of her/his family, they may perform: a) 1 kill per “night” phase. However, subsequent to any such killing they will be identified as “guilty” if investigated by a detective, and “criminal” if investigated by a made. Or b) investigate two people [in the style of a Made Gangster below] to facilitate recruiting. A solo Don, unlike a Made, may not do both. In addition, a Don is normally protected by a Luca, making them very difficult to kill.
b) Normally, however, they appear as “innocent” if investigated by a detective or made, so they can camouflage themselves well. Even the FBI detective is unlikely to spot them (3 in 10 “Criminal”).
c) A Don can function as a regular townie in other respects, but cannot kill during a night phase or join a kill group until they are the sole survivor of their family.

Luca
A Luca is one of the two initial “Made” gangsters in a crime family. The Luca’s objective is to protect their “Don.” This function is always “on” unless the Luca is undertaking other duties. The Luca is automatically aware of the identity of the family don.
Should the family Luca be killed, or should a new-made family with Don not have a Luca, other members of the family can form a protective combo to defend the Don. If this combo successfully defends the Don twice [different nights, kill attempt thwarted] then one of the combination will assume the powers of a Luca. The combination needs to include 2 Mades OR 1 Made and 2 Wise guys.
a) A Luca does not normally kill opponents during a “night” phase, but may function as a Made gangster in this regard (no recruiting investigation), participating in a killing each night. If participating in a killing that “night,” the Luca cannot provide protection for the don. If the Family has lost their Don, the Luca functions as a Made Gangster until the new Don takes over.
b) A Luca appears “criminal” if investigated by a Detective or Made, but “guilty” only on the night of a killing even if they have participated in killings before.
c) A Luca may participate in a townie kill group (though this leaves the Don undefended) but may not participate in a protection group.

Made Gangster
A Made is one of the two initial “Made” gangsters in a crime family. Their objective is to lead up the “wet work” efforts on behalf of their crime family, eventually controlling the town. The initial made gangster of a family is automatically aware of the identity of the family Don. If a family Don has been killed (or never existed), the Made may become a Don provided that: 1) There is at least one other Made in the family, 2) All the other Made Gangsters in your family agree to your becoming the Don, and 3) the Made did not participate directly in the killing of the previous Don.
a) Mades can form a kill group with other Mades or with Wise Gals. One kill may be attempted for each two Mades/Wise Guys. In addition, a Made gangster can conduct one “recruiting” investigation per “night” phase. This investigation will determine if the individual is “criminal,” “innocent,” or “unclear.”
b) If investigated by a Detective or another Made, a Made gangster appears “criminal.” If investigated by a Detective during a “night” phase in which the made gangster is actively involved in a killing, they appear “guilty.”.
c) A Made may function as part of a Townie killing group, but never a protection group.

SECRET ROLE(S)

At least one, and potentially more, will be included. The particulars are…secret.

Proletariat
01-08-2007, 16:43
This sounds great. In!

Kagemusha
01-08-2007, 17:47
I will join.:2thumbsup:

Sasaki Kojiro
01-08-2007, 17:50
In!

AggonyDuck
01-08-2007, 18:07
I'll go against my one game at a time policy and sign up.

GeneralHankerchief
01-08-2007, 18:24
In.

This should be fun.

Kommodus
01-08-2007, 18:53
I've been looking forward to this one. Count me in. :2thumbsup:

Pannonian
01-08-2007, 20:17
OK. I'll have a go at one of these complicated games.

Sigurd
01-08-2007, 20:23
I'm in

Sasaki Kojiro
01-08-2007, 20:23
Ok I have a question. The wise guys are supposed to wait around to be recruited, yes? But how are the townies supposed to band together to do anything if they don't know who the other townies are. Do they just target somebody and hope the other townies choose the same?

Ituralde
01-08-2007, 20:24
Sounds like fun. I'm in!

Xiahou
01-08-2007, 20:32
Sounds ok... you shoulda jazzed it up a little from vanilla mafia though. :clown:

Count me in. :2thumbsup:

Reenk Roink
01-08-2007, 20:36
First! :2thumbsup:

01-08-2007, 21:27
Holy cow. I shall participate.

MSB
01-08-2007, 21:29
Sounds fun, I'm in too. Sadly I am a mafia newbie so excuse me if I get something wrong in this complex game.

Seamus Fermanagh
01-08-2007, 21:34
Ok I have a question. The wise guys are supposed to wait around to be recruited, yes? But how are the townies supposed to band together to do anything if they don't know who the other townies are. Do they just target somebody and hope the other townies choose the same?

Your Q goes right to the heart of the gameplay, Sasaki. Kudos.

A Wise Guy can wait around to be recruited, publicly broadcast that they're looking to join a family, go "straight" and try to be a regular townie, band together with other non-family members to form their own Wise-Guy family, or band together with other townies to form a vigilante group. All up to you. The tough part, of course, is communicating effectively to form groups -- which is where the tension will be.

I expect this game will generate a LOT of PM's as people try to form alliances and make those alliances work.

If you form alliances with nobody, your ability to move forward will be limited. To form alliances, however, some risk must be accepted. Only a pure townie can avoid all alliances and still hope to participate in a town victory -- but there are a lot of mafia out there.

Sir Moody
01-08-2007, 21:53
sign me up it sounds like my kind of complete chaos :laugh4:

Dutch_guy
01-08-2007, 22:09
Yeah, I'll participate. Organised chaos, what more can we ask for :laugh4:

:balloon2:

Warluster
01-08-2007, 22:27
I'll join!

Crazed Rabbit
01-08-2007, 22:34
I'm in!

CR

Caius
01-08-2007, 23:04
I'm in.

Sir Boo
01-08-2007, 23:17
Count me in though i reely dont understand the rules at all...

Sasaki Kojiro
01-08-2007, 23:26
Here's how I understand it:

If you're in one of the three mafia families you will be trying to kill all of the townies and detectives and other mafia. The wise guys can be recruited (not sure of the mechanics on this one?) as mafia, and if you recruit two wise guys you will have the capability to kill 2 per round in stead of one assuming your original three are still alive. So they are quite the commodity. However if you let the wrong people know...

If you're one of the wise guys then you can choose to become a townie or you can choose to join the mafia.

If your a townie then your options are limited, but if you band together with other townies you potentially join the mafia.

Of course no one knows what role the other people have, and you can bet your life that the majority of people will be lying through their teeth. Is the person who says he's a townie and wants to partner with you really a townie, or is he a mafioso trying to figure out if you are ripe for recruitement or a member of an enemy family?

I think this game would really benefit from roles being revealed upon death.

Orb
01-08-2007, 23:56
I'm in!

Stig
01-08-2007, 23:58
I'll join, have no idea what to do tho ... have been looking through some old games but:

Organised chaos, what more can we ask for :laugh4:
that's the problem

Seamus Fermanagh
01-09-2007, 00:11
Here's how I understand it:

If you're in one of the three mafia families you will be trying to kill all of the townies and detectives and other mafia. The wise guys can be recruited (not sure of the mechanics on this one?) as mafia, and if you recruit two wise guys you will have the capability to kill 2 per round in stead of one assuming your original three are still alive. So they are quite the commodity. However if you let the wrong people know...

I think this game would really benefit from roles being revealed upon death.

With all players PMing me each night phase, those PM's will include not only kill/investigate orders, but a notation as to who they are working with to accomplish the kill where applicable. How they coordinate the planning is up to them.

If I get 3 Wise guys pming in:

Kill X, working with B, C
Kill X, working with A, C
Kill X, working with A, B

then we have a quorum and X goes down.

If only 2 e-mail in, then the kill will fail.

PM procedures will be spelled out in the ROLE Assignment PM that I send to each player before the game's outset.

These are the questions I'd hoped to field when I made the prelim post a bit back -- but glad to get the info out there and sorry for not doing so clearly before. Prior to game start, I will modify the rules to reflect any changes resulting from such exchanges.

As to death revealing a role....I will consider it, as it may be of benefit generally (and not perfectly so, as one's role can change).

JimBob
01-09-2007, 00:49
Vote: IN :balloon2:

Don't reveal on death, the more confusing this gets the better.

Lord Winter
01-09-2007, 01:16
I'll join,

Ignoramus
01-09-2007, 02:41
Count me in.

Csargo
01-09-2007, 03:24
I'll play

GeneralHankerchief
01-09-2007, 03:42
Also, since this thread seems to be a magnet, I'd like to remind everyone that's read/participated in the other Mafia games that the Mafia HoF 2006 (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=76629) is open. Remember, if you don't vote, then the mafia wins!

Death Match
01-09-2007, 05:36
I AM IN!!!!

PS. did I make it?

marcusbrutus
01-09-2007, 14:50
Count me in - never knew people played Mafia at the org :skull:

Seamus Fermanagh
01-09-2007, 15:25
Glad to have you all aboard.

Everyone: PLEASE go and recruit some more folks. We have a nice number now, but the game design for the 5 family version would need 60+, so I'd love triple our current numbers. I have these visions of a game starting slow for 1-2 nights but then featuring 15 attempted murders -- I think it'd be a wild challenge.

HughTower
01-09-2007, 15:58
Sounds bloated, unwieldy, & completely OTT.

New (ish) to the org, and just found these - they look amusing.

Count me in.

Peasant Phill
01-09-2007, 16:07
I'm in

Redleg
01-09-2007, 18:17
I will give it a try

Pindar
01-09-2007, 18:24
I received several calls to join. I then went to a Chinese restaurant last night and when I opened the fortune cookie it had Seamus' name followed by the word 'join'. I think prudence dictates I not offend the Will of Heaven.

I'll join. :skull:

Seamus Fermanagh
01-09-2007, 19:50
I am honored, Pindar.

I am also wondering who in the chinese resteraunt supply industry knows so much about me.:inquisitive: ...I hadn't thought any of the tongsmen would remember that incident in Sarawak......

Banquo's Ghost
01-09-2007, 21:20
OK, after some thought I'll try this one more time.

After all, you guys will need someone to lynch in the first round. :bounce:

Thank (or blame) Pannonian for persistence.

Masy
01-09-2007, 21:29
Ok, looks vastly complex and intriguing, so count me in!

Papewaio
01-09-2007, 22:27
I'm a sucker for punishment.

Motep
01-10-2007, 01:20
Can I join?
and what is the lynching exactly?

Caius
01-10-2007, 02:27
Lynching:When you think that person is mafia and thats the way of killing him

Kommodus
01-10-2007, 02:40
and what is the lynching exactly?

After each "night" phase of the game, all the players get to vote on who they think is a murderer. The person with the most votes is lynched/killed.

Take a look at a couple of the completed games, and you'll see exactly how it works. :2thumbsup:

Mmm, lotsa recruits. This game is lookin' good... :yes:

Don Corleone
01-10-2007, 02:50
Pannonian AND Seamus ask me to join? How can I refuse (even if I have no time these days). In! (I think I need to have my head examined).

Warluster
01-10-2007, 03:21
Wow, a theres a lot of First time players now.
Also HughTower, these mafia games aint new,

Death Match
01-10-2007, 12:07
This is gonna be best eva

Louis VI the Fat
01-10-2007, 12:31
Count me in!

It'll be my first mafia game. Time to discover what all the fuzz is about. :yes:

Major Robert Dump
01-10-2007, 16:57
I'll play if recruiting is still open

HughTower
01-10-2007, 18:19
Wow, a theres a lot of First time players now.
Also HughTower, these mafia games aint new,

Sorry - my post was ambiguous owing to lazy grammar. I'm new to the org, not the games.

They are old, far far older than we'll ever know....

Stig
01-10-2007, 18:31
Sorry - my post was ambiguous owing to lazy grammar. I'm new to the org, not the games.
Aye, that was quite clear ... nothing wrong with the grammar

Pannonian
01-10-2007, 18:43

They are old, far far older than we'll ever know....
According to wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_Game),

Mafia was created by Dimma Davidoff at the Psychological Department of Moscow State University, in spring of 1986, and the first players were playing in classrooms, dorms and summer camps of Moscow University. The game then became popular in other Soviet colleges and schools and in 1990s; it started crossing borders, first in Europe (Hungary, Poland, England, Norway) then the United States; now it is played virtually everywhere.

Caius
01-10-2007, 18:53
We need more players?

HughTower
01-10-2007, 19:24
According to wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_Game),

Mafia was created by Dimma Davidoff at the Psychological Department of Moscow State University, in spring of 1986, and the first players were playing in classrooms, dorms and summer camps of Moscow University. The game then became popular in other Soviet colleges and schools and in 1990s; it started crossing borders, first in Europe (Hungary, Poland, England, Norway) then the United States; now it is played virtually everywhere.

Intriguing, and thank you for shattering my carefully crafted air of mystery.

Now, what did they call it? It surely can't have been Mafia back then & there.

Show me that answer for your Starter for 10.....

Seamus Fermanagh
01-10-2007, 20:45
While we have enough players for the 3-family version of the game -- and thanks for your support -- we still lack the 60+ needed for the 5-family free for all. PLEASE try to recruit a few more folks -- all the new names here so far are a pleasure to see.

Caius
01-10-2007, 20:46
While we have enough players for the 3-family version of the game -- and thanks for your support -- we still lack the 60+ needed for the 5-family free for all. PLEASE try to recruit a few more folks -- all the new names here so far are a pleasure to see.
Recruting players...

Pannonian
01-10-2007, 20:52
Intriguing, and thank you for shattering my carefully crafted air of mystery.

Now, what did they call it? It surely can't have been Mafia back then & there.

Show me that answer for your Starter for 10.....
Here's (http://www.princeton.edu/~mafia/oldmafia/history.htm) a history of Mafia and Mafia-like games, that dates them back before Davidoff. FYI, Davidoff remembers a game called "Ubiitca" (Murderer), which is similar.

Masy
01-10-2007, 22:27
I was just reading the rules over, and my gosh Seamus Fermanagh you have let yourself in for a lot of work. The amount of pm's you will be receiving daily...tis a credit to you for thinking up such a unique take on mafia.

Also, aside from congratulating the games master, I also wanted to reach my

300th POST!!!!!!!!

Not that this is really significant, but hey, I'm a simple person...

Caius
01-10-2007, 22:33
Please post in the official celebration of Posts thread.

Seamus Fermanagh
01-10-2007, 23:38
Please post in the official celebration of Posts thread.

....hmmm, sounds like someone's bucking for moderator. Ave Caius, Sic Transit Gloria Munde (whoever she is).

Motep
01-10-2007, 23:50
...there is nothing to be said at this time but to ask peoples of the org to participate....well? JOIN IN ON THE FUN!!!....come ooon. You know ypu want to!:grin2:

Caius
01-10-2007, 23:54
....hmmm, sounds like someone's bucking for moderator. Ave Caius, Sic Transit Gloria Munde (whoever she is).
What?

Motep
01-11-2007, 00:23
What?

He means you are a junior moderator....

Caius
01-11-2007, 01:02
He means you are a junior moderator....
junior mod?

:inquisitive:

Caius
01-11-2007, 04:53
I dont think the threads are usefull.
The mods are closing it

Seamus Fermanagh
01-11-2007, 20:43
Over the weekend, I'll be fleshing out my notes for the start, as well as preparing the PM's to send to everyone. I'll take sign-ups up to the stated deadline, but I have a quorum and need to get this up and running.

If you want more players, go a get a few. I'm gonna PM those of the usuals who have yet to sign, but please do get a few more if you can.

UltraWar
01-11-2007, 21:54
I'll sign up

CountArach
01-11-2007, 22:28
In!

Ohhh, my first Mafia game on these boards!

UltraWar
01-11-2007, 22:40
In!

Ohhh, my first Mafia game on these boards!

Possibly your last :2thumbsup::whip:

You could die young

Copperhaired Berserker!
01-11-2007, 22:44
I'm in!

The Stranger
01-11-2007, 22:47
im in too

Caius
01-11-2007, 23:20

You could die young
Maybe...

Big King Sanctaphrax
01-11-2007, 23:47
I'm in.

JimBob
01-12-2007, 04:32
I thought I signed up but just to make sure...in

ByzantineKnight
01-12-2007, 05:29
I'm in!!

Zalmoxis
01-12-2007, 05:34
I'll join.

CountArach
01-12-2007, 05:41

You could die young

Comforting...

Drisos
01-12-2007, 07:58
I'll join this one.:balloon2:

Csargo
01-12-2007, 08:32
This is going to be extremely hard on you Seamus. Especially if some of the players don't even participate and they have roles.

Death Match
01-12-2007, 11:10
Just one advice to Seamus:

*I suggest you to begin quite soon, because some may have signed up and lose interest soon if no action is taken

PS. One casual question. I believe Big King Sanctaphrax was a normal user until this year. When did he become a mod?

Sigurd
01-12-2007, 11:31
PS. One casual question. I believe Big King Sanctaphrax was a normal user until this year. When did he become a mod?
err...
BKS was never a 'normal' user :laugh4:

Big King Sanctaphrax
01-12-2007, 13:06
Just one advice to Seamus:

*I suggest you to begin quite soon, because some may have signed up and lose interest soon if no action is taken

Huh? I've been a mod for...about two years now?

doc_bean
01-12-2007, 13:06
sign me up

Don Corleone
01-12-2007, 15:41
Huh? I've been a mod for...about two years now?

You were already an assistant mod when I signed up in March of 2004.

To avoid confusion with the actual role of Don Corleone in this game, I've changed my name for the duration of the game. Seamus, please update your signup list. If the rest of you don't know who Tom Hagen is, shame on you! Go rent the Godfather trilogy this weekend and watch every last minute of it! :whip:

Pannonian
01-12-2007, 15:46
Note for Seamus. Don Corleone is now Tom Hagen. Aulus LB Maximus is now Mithridates Seleukeias Babyloniakes.

Big King Sanctaphrax
01-12-2007, 17:23
for the duration of the game.

Phew! I don't think my poor brain could handle another long-standing member permanently changing their handle.

Sasaki Kojiro
01-12-2007, 17:32
I'm considering changing my name to "Unvote".

The Stranger
01-12-2007, 17:50
could people please explain this too me... its my first game... and its kinda hard for me...

hey :inquisitive: its not my fault im strange...

Crazed Rabbit
01-12-2007, 17:59
Hmm, following Sasaki's lead, perhaps I should change my name to 'myself' for a bit... ~;p

CR

Sasaki Kojiro
01-12-2007, 18:03
Hmm, following Sasaki's lead, perhaps I should change my name to 'myself' for a bit... ~;p

CR

:laugh4: That's better

Seamus Fermanagh
01-12-2007, 21:32
Depending on the response rate of the next day or so, I may push the start time for this game a bit forward. After threads in 3 forums and 50 outgoing PM's, I suspect that most of the market has been reached. Sasaki, if you would prefer I not do so in deference to your game, I will comply, just PM me.

Current list of gamers is at the bottom of post #1.

Without 60 players, I will execute the three family version.

Some rules changes will be made. These will be posted prior to you receiving your roles. Sasaki, a version of your suggested change will be included.

Roles will be PM'd and will include instructions to clarify issues raised by some of the questions or reflect some changes being made as I refine the gameplay components.

Thanks.

Reenk Roink
01-12-2007, 21:38
Seamus, I would suggest getting permission from EB highups to advertise in their forums. EB has a pretty large niche group that usually only looks there (in fact, I browsed EB forums without registering for nearly an year, and even after registering, it was about 3 months before I explored the Org.

You might be able to grab 10 people if lucky...

Sasaki Kojiro
01-12-2007, 22:31
Hah, I can't wait for this one to start.

Csargo
01-12-2007, 23:08
This looks like it'll be a good game, but I just hope everyone participates or atleast most everyone.

Tribesman
01-13-2007, 11:55
add me .

Ironside
01-13-2007, 13:49
Meh I'll join up for this one, seems like half the backroom has done it already. This one will probably end up very, very chaotic though.

I assume that if the Luca dies, the Don can choose a new Luca from the Mades? And that the Don can recruit if he's alone? Just checking some rules.

Mades can inifiltrate other families right? While pretending to be a wise guy/gal?

One murdervote/player? Aka a wise guy/gal can't do a a kill with a townmob while preforming a hit for one or multiple families?

Seamus Fermanagh
01-13-2007, 18:09
Meh I'll join up for this one, seems like half the backroom has done it already. This one will probably end up very, very chaotic though.

I'm pretty good at keeping records in these games, so I think I should have a handle on it, but aside from me....yeah, I think it will be an essay in ambiguity and tension. Since I was hoping for that...:wiseguy:

I assume that if the Luca dies, the Don can choose a new Luca from the Mades? And that the Don can recruit if he's alone? Just checking some rules.

Good points! The Luca should be replaceable, but not simply by selection as it is too powerful a position. I will put something in for that, though.

I hadn't thought about the Don recruiting when solo, but I think that seems reasonable. I will address that as well.

Mades can inifiltrate other families right? While pretending to be a wise guy/gal?

Of course! We haven't even started and you are already into the spirit of things nicely!

One murdervote/player? Aka a wise guy/gal can't do a a kill with a townmob while preforming a hit for one or multiple families?

Wow. That was such a basic assumption of mine in putting this together that I never wrote it in.:dizzy: Definitely correct.

Excellent points, sir, and thank you.

Remember to check the revised rules before play. Any other suggestions? Before starting will help far more than later.

pevergreen
01-14-2007, 02:05
me In! Me In!

Mwhahah I will prove to you all that im just a townie, thats pretending to be the mafia :laugh4::sweatdrop:

TevashSzat
01-14-2007, 02:41
I'll play too

Cowhead418
01-14-2007, 05:23
I haven't participated in one for some time. I will join this one.

Ironside
01-14-2007, 14:07
Continuing questions here. Some with more obvious answers, some with less.

Detectives and doctors are permanent townies (wins with a town victory) that cannot murder someone?

Acts as a Townie in other respects

So we don't get 3 townies and and doctor killing someone. And then ends up as a wise guy/gal doctor ~;p .

Can doctors/surgeons save multiple kills on the same person? If they can, how do you take out two (or more) that votes for eachother? I assume that the Luca can save multiple kills on the Don?

3 townies and a wise guy/gal becomes a kill or?

3 townies and a Made becomes a kill or?

1 townie (faking as a Wise guy/gal) and a Made fails or?

2 townies and a wise guy/gal turning to the "light side of the force" make a save or?

Wise guy/gal that have murdered can turn to the "light side of the force" and become a townie?
If they can, then townies that have killed thier way to wise guy/gal can or cannot go back to townie status?

Wise guy/gal that goes townie shifts status to "innocent" from "criminal" if turning to the "light side of the force"? Do they go to townie by denouncing thier status to you, or only by becoming doctors?

Townies with one kill does still win a townie victory? Criminal (not guilty) wise guys/gals wins a town victory?

Mades loyalties? Can a Made that have infiltrated into another mafia and that's been made into a Made there, win with the new family or is he always an infiltrator?

Banquo's Ghost
01-14-2007, 15:20
Jeepers, I thought I was confused when I read through the rules but now I'm completely bewildered.

:huh:

Louis VI the Fat
01-14-2007, 17:44
Jeepers, I thought I was confused when I read through the rules but now I'm completely bewildered.

:huh:Oh, don't you worry. I'll help you out. When in doubt you can send your decisions to me first, and we'll review them together.

Dutch_guy
01-14-2007, 19:09
Oh, don't you worry. I'll help you out. When in doubt you can send your decisions to me first, and we'll review them together.

hehehe

Csargo
01-14-2007, 19:10
Biggest mafia game to date. Hopefully it's a good one.

Seamus Fermanagh
01-14-2007, 22:15
Detectives and doctors are permanent townies (wins with a town victory) that cannot murder someone?

A player's role may be changed by their actions, but they cannot have the powers/advantages of both. A townie who has not become another role, or a wise guy who has not ACTED criminally would still count as a "townie" for final victory purposes, they may be tainted, but such is life -- and life is not perfect.:evilgrin:

Can doctors/surgeons save multiple kills on the same person?

Yes. Protection -- by Doctor or by protection team -- functions to defend one single person from any number of attempts that one night. Another individual would have to be protected by a different doctor/protection team. The "results of last night" narrative will keep things clear (hopefully) and preserve continuity.

I assume that the Luca can save multiple kills on the Don?

Correct.

a = 3 townies and a wise guy/gal becomes a kill or?

b = 3 townies and a Made becomes a kill or?

c = 1 townie (faking as a Wise guy/gal) and a Made fails or?

d = 2 townies and a wise guy/gal turning to the "light side of the force" make a save or?

In general, all players can function as Townies, but cannot function as other than that unless and until they have shifted to a new role. So:

a = Yes. The Wise Guy can function as a townie and provide the 4th needed to attempt a killing.

b = Yes. Same as a.

c = Yes, this killing attempt would fail.

d = Yes. But only if the Wise Guy had not previously performed a killing.

1 = Wise guy/gal that have murdered can turn to the "light side of the force" and become a townie?

2 = If they can, then townies that have killed thier way to wise guy/gal can or cannot go back to townie status?

3 = Wise guy/gal that goes townie shifts status to "innocent" from "criminal" if turning to the "light side of the force"? Do they go to townie by denouncing thier status to you, or only by becoming doctors?

Killing is a definite path-chooser as allowing a player to play both ends against the middle is unfair for gaming purposes (though you are free to try to convince anybody of anything). So:

1 = No, you're on a path of crime from then on.

2 = Townies cannot go back either.

3 = Announcing your sought-after status is the wise course (helps me interpret you accurately). They will still register as "criminal" or "unclear" to a made's investigation or as a "criminal" for the detective -- but this is true of a small number of townies anyway.

Mades loyalties? Can a Made that have infiltrated into another mafia and that's been made into a Made there, win with the new family or is he always an infiltrator?

As long as the new family accepts you, it works for me. Mind you, since dead Dons are part of the other families victory conditions, you may end up getting denounced unless you're very careful. But what is life without risk?

Hepcat
01-15-2007, 06:47
ARG, to heck with it, I'll join, if it ain't too late.

But know this, I am going to Wellington on Friday for a week so I may not be able to post.

Seamus Fermanagh
01-15-2007, 07:00
ARG, to heck with it, I'll join, if it ain't too late.

But know this, I am going to Wellington on Friday for a week so I may not be able to post.

You're in. Try to scan/post as much as you can.

Seamus Fermanagh
01-15-2007, 20:41
Rules/Roles adjusted and clarified to reflect results of thread discussion. Game begins tomorrow c. 1700 EST 1/16/7 with Day One voting for director. Day one voting will be open through 1200 1/17/7, and we will cycle on 1200 EST each day thereafter (my work schedule permitting). Good Luck one and all -- I hope we can make this a blast.

GeneralHankerchief
01-15-2007, 21:59
I think we're down a player. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77366)

Moros
01-15-2007, 22:40
Can I still join. It has been too long I've played.

Csargo
01-15-2007, 22:47
Seems I've started a trend. :D

Masy
01-15-2007, 22:55
I am getting quite giddy with excitement.

Moros
01-15-2007, 22:56
Seems I've started a trend. :D
???

Seamus Fermanagh
01-15-2007, 22:57
General:

He kindly responded to my PM suggesting that I withdraw his name. I have complied.

Moros:

You have been added, welcome.

Ichigo:

Well, you are one of three name changes on the roster -- the 4th opted out.

Kagemusha
01-15-2007, 23:00
I cant wait for this thing to start.I think it will be one paranoid splash of fun.Im turning my invisible mode on now and suggest for other players to do so also.:2thumbsup:

Moros
01-15-2007, 23:01
Moros:

You have been added, welcome.

grazie.
:bow:

Big King Sanctaphrax
01-15-2007, 23:31
As I can see through all of your invisibility, I'm going to leave myself visible. It seems only fair.

Csargo
01-15-2007, 23:37
As I can see through all of your invisibility, I'm going to leave myself visible. It seems only fair.

It's only fair if the other mods do it too. YES I'M TALKING TO YOU SASAKI!!!!

VOTE:SASAKI
Let the games begin!

Sasaki Kojiro
01-15-2007, 23:46
As I can see through your invisibility, I'm going to leave mine on to gain an unfair advantage :bounce:

Csargo
01-15-2007, 23:52
As I can see through your invisibility, I'm going to leave mine on to gain an unfair advantage :bounce:

That's why I didn't turn invisiblity on. Though there are ways to get around that.

Beirut
01-16-2007, 01:21
:inquisitive: Hmmm, this seems to be the place.

BKS told me to sign up so I's a signin'.

I have nary a hint of a clue of a sniff of an idea how to play Mafia so if you could point me to rules, I will try to try to read them.

Kagemusha
01-16-2007, 01:35

I have nary a hint of a clue of a sniff of an idea how to play Mafia so if you could point me to rules, I will try to try to read them.

Beirut the rules are on the first post of the thread.Altough this might be the most complicated mafia game so far.Try to make some sense on the game rules.Personally i find it bit confusing but it will be great fun.:2thumbsup:

Csargo
01-16-2007, 01:48
This should be fun with Beirut playing. :yes:

Seamus Fermanagh
01-16-2007, 01:57
Beirut:

Welcome.

Others:

I have suggested invisible mode for all so that this does not become an exercise in bleary-eyed PM watching. I am aware that Mods can see through such things at their discretion, but my experience tells me that I can rely on that discretion -- none of our Mod folks are the type who'd enjoy winning by cheating (at least with no money on the game :devilish: ).

Sasaki Kojiro
01-16-2007, 02:02
I vote that Seamus makes Beirut post in rhyme for the whole game on pain of WoG.

Seamus Fermanagh
01-16-2007, 02:03
Beirut the rules are on the first post of the thread.Altough this might be the most complicated mafia game so far.Try to make some sense on the game rules.Personally i find it bit confusing but it will be great fun.:2thumbsup:

Perhaps if you hailed from a country where names didn't involve 78 vowels in such of lonely consonants.....:evilgrin:

Caius
01-16-2007, 02:39

This is strange.4 mods playing a mafia game.Kill they!Hope you can live.

Beirut
01-16-2007, 04:08
I look forward to a sleep expeditious
One taken deep down with the rest of fishes

Zalmoxis
01-16-2007, 06:40
Took a pretty long time to start, though it's probably gonna be really good.

pevergreen
01-16-2007, 08:22
Yeah, I just hope im mafia... :laugh4:

Banquo's Ghost
01-16-2007, 11:16
I am aware that Mods can see through such things at their discretion, but my experience tells me that I can rely on that discretion -- none of our Mod folks are the type who'd enjoy winning by cheating (at least with no money on the game :devilish: ).

You're thinking of the Frontroom and other sweet area mods.

Us Backroom boys fight rough and fight dirty. :evil: :sneaky:

Pannonian
01-16-2007, 11:29
A reminder to all players: clear your PM boxes. Save them to your hard drive, then delete them and clear space for the game.

Beirut
01-16-2007, 12:44
You're thinking of the Frontroom and other sweet area mods.

Us Backroom boys fight rough and fight dirty. :evil: :sneaky:

Frontroom mods make obscene hand gesture signifying "Yeah... right."

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-16-2007, 12:51
A reminder to all players: clear your PM boxes. Save them to your hard drive, then delete them and clear space for the game.
Hi,
I'm sorry to irritate you with another one of my questions, but how do you delete the PMs. I just can't seem to figure it out. Cheers.

Pannonian
01-16-2007, 13:42
Hi,
I'm sorry to irritate you with another one of my questions, but how do you delete the PMs. I just can't seem to figure it out. Cheers.
1. At the top of the page are a number of options. Go to "User CP" (first on the list).

2. On the User CP page there is a sidebar with a number of options. Under the main heading of "Private Messages" there are a number of sub-options. Choose "List Messages".

3. You'll want to save your PMs to your hard drive before you do any deleting, so under the list of PMs you'll find an option to "Download all Private Messages" as. I personally prefer text, but you can choose xml, csv or whatever else is to your liking. When saving the PMs to your hard drive, take care to note where you're saving it to.

4. Once you've safely archived your PMs, it's time to start deleting. At the top of your list of messages is a tick box. Tick the topmost tick box, which will automatically tick everything else. Under your list of messages is an option "Selected Messages" to do something with your ticked messages. In that combo box, choose Delete, then click on the Go button beside the combo box. Voila, you've deleted all the PMs in your inbox.

5. To do the same with your sentbox, you'll first need to go to your sentbox. Above your list of messages is a combo box, titled "Jump to Folder". Choose "Sent Items", then click on Go beside the combo box. Once you've listed your sent box, repeat step 4. Congrats, you've cleared your PM box.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-16-2007, 18:03
Thanks Pannonian.

Orb
01-16-2007, 18:47
Since this is an ENORMOUS game, why not have two threads, one for discussion and one for 'official' reports? It's kind of demoralising reading through a large backlog of discussion to find the last events.

The Stranger
01-16-2007, 20:01
I look forward to a sleep expeditious
One taken deep down with the rest of fishes

Watch you back, Daddy... :whip:

It's time for the younger generation to take control... :yes:

I shall rule the household now! :satan:~:girlslap:

The Stranger
01-16-2007, 20:03
good idea orb....

Seamus Fermanagh
01-16-2007, 20:36
Sign ups are closed. The lodge is tiled and the ceremonies will now commence -- so mote it be.

56 Players by my count -- should be fun.

ALL of you will be PM'd between now and 5 pm with your role descriptions.

At or near 5pm I will post the initial "story" to begin the game.

If our loquacious Gameroom Mod will kindly modify the thread title to reflect this, I would appreciate it.

Since it is so large, if our Mods approve, I am amenable to posting the information summaries in an additional thread running parallel with this one.

However, this will be IN ADDITION to their presence in the main thread -- providing context for discussion, and the 2nd thread would be locked, with Sasaki reposting the key info posts for me so that the interaction remains in the main thread. Seem good to you SK?

Big King Sanctaphrax
01-16-2007, 21:03
Are we going with five families? I know we didn't get 60, but it's close.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-16-2007, 21:05
I'm sorry to have to be the idiot that asks this, but may I ask what time zone are you in Seamus Fermanagh? I just want to know what time I will be expecting PMs. Thanks.

Sir Boo
01-16-2007, 21:15
I bellieve he is -5 hours behind GMT

Csargo
01-16-2007, 21:17
The USA's historic triangle is in his Location so I guess Florida maybe.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-16-2007, 21:57
Thanks guys. That means that I should be expecting the PM between now and 22:00 GMT. Thanks again guys.

Masy
01-16-2007, 22:00
Aw poo, I will be fast asleep when my pm gets here

Louis VI the Fat
01-16-2007, 22:03
Isn't that the Virginia settlers country?
Either way, if it's an American historic triangle we can safely assume it's on the Atlantic coast, thus GMT - 5, or EST then.

Edit: 23:00 here then. A bit late, but I'll be still awake.

Pannonian
01-16-2007, 22:20
This is strange.4 mods playing a mafia game.Kill they!Hope you can live.
5 mods.

Banquo's Ghost (Backroom)
Beirut (Frontroom)
Big King Santaphrax (Frontroom)
Papewaio (Backroom)
Sasaki Kojiro (Gameroom)

Big King Sanctaphrax
01-16-2007, 22:25
Argh! Why, Louis, why?!

Louis VI the Fat
01-16-2007, 22:48
Name change alert!

Luigi VI di Fatlington

is the nom-de-mafia of the poster otherwise known as

Louis VI the Fat

Kagemusha
01-16-2007, 22:59
So Luis you are in the mafia,becouse you have now a mafia name?

Big King Sanctaphrax
01-16-2007, 23:16
Oh, thank god.

Seamus Fermanagh
01-16-2007, 23:18
Capo de Tutti Capi

I'm going to make me a good sharp axe
Shining steel tempered in the fire
Will chop you down like an old dead tree
Dirty old town
Dirty old town
Ewan McCall -- 1985

Fatlington, New Jersey wasn’t humming with energy or buzzing with excitement, it just was. The thick gray clouds of the slow, drenching Nor’easter that had played such havoc with the causeways still loomed over the town – and everyone’s mood – and would for days to come. People struggled to get to work through partly flooded intersections, flinching from the cold and the misting sleet – Aqualung would have a hard night -- as they went and looking forward to a warm summer on the white sand beaches of the town. For some, this hope would be in vain.

This time, Fatlington wasn’t just suffering from the Nor’easter, it was virtually cut off from the mainland. Both causeways were partly washed out, the seas were too rough for boats to sail safely, and most of the phone lines were down. For a few days or weeks, the small gritty city – old factories, old wharves, a few white beaches and tourist bungalows – was on its own. Most folks would simply have to cope – but the leaders of Fatlington would try to do something. Civic virtue? Perhaps, or perhaps it was simply that…

“… our backs are against the wall, here, people!”

Chief Seamus Fermanagh didn’t shout much – not his style – so this time it got their attention.

“You 57 are the movers and shakers of this town. YOU are gonna have to make things happen. Saints preserve us, my officers and I are barely able to handle the problems with the streets, helping the guard with the Marinas, and keeping a lid on one whopper of a riot. I don’t like this any more than the rest of you…

“But a committee of vigilance! That’s Barbaric! I will not counsel it!

Mithradites stood to leave.

Farewell and good luck to you then…But I agree with Hizzoner TosaInu that this may be our only hope.

Mithradites walked quietly out.

“Well now, anyone else after joinin’ him?”

Seamus looked around the room slowly, trying to meet every eye in turn. 56 pairs made for a goodly number of stares. < Sa and I’d not be wantin’ to play poker with this crew> he thought. <So many cold eyes….Well, get to it.>

“Fair ‘nough. You are our civic leaders, you will be responsible for putting Mayor Tosa’s plan for martial law into action. Your first task will be to select a Director of the Committee of Public Vigilance. That Director will run what will be – effectively – lynchings so that you can weed out the threat to our town while I and my officers try to keep the mob quiet.”

Seamus paused.

“As a reminder now, we have collected evidence that both causeways were sabotaged – they were set up to wash in the first big storm tide -- and that none of the phone lines on the raised poles made it through the storm. We’ve had a rash of killings lately, killings we now suspect are not random. Some of our sources locally, as well as with the Bureau, have suggested that we’re in for a lot of trouble. Based on this, Tosa declared martial law and imposed the use of this committee of vigilance as a counter to a threat we’ve only recently confirmed. At least one major crime gang – perhaps more – is going to make their play for control of Fatlington. Sadly, what evidence we have suggests that those responsible have to be in this room.”

“It may not be elegant – hell, it’s barely legal if that – but this committee of vigilance may be our only hope. Find the ones responsible and bring them to justice. We’ll meet here each morning and evening to go over the lynch voting and update you on the situation. I’ll even spare 3 or 4 of my micks…officers… to chaperone your director. Time to get started.”

Seamus stared bleakly off into the distance past them, past the confines of the room…

“Good luck,” he whispered, “and may God have mercy on our souls.”

OOC:

Day One Voting – Director Only. Votes must be posted no later than 1200 USA Eastern Standard Time (EST) 1/17/7 to be counted.

All Players have been PM'd their roles. Game Rules on 1st Post. Good luck.

Sasaki Kojiro
01-16-2007, 23:18
If our loquacious Gameroom Mod will kindly modify the thread title to reflect this, I would appreciate it.

Since it is so large, if our Mods approve, I am amenable to posting the information summaries in an additional thread running parallel with this one.

However, this will be IN ADDITION to their presence in the main thread -- providing context for discussion, and the 2nd thread would be locked, with Sasaki reposting the key info posts for me so that the interaction remains in the main thread. Seem good to you SK?

Done, and, this sounds fine.

Sir Boo
01-16-2007, 23:24
Yay we have began! Good introduction by the way...

Ituralde
01-16-2007, 23:32
Nice introduction. Already looking forward to this one.
So anyone offering himself up for the post of Director? Or do we just start voting...

Select: Major Robert Dump

Can't go wrong with a name like that. :2thumbsup:

Kagemusha
01-16-2007, 23:33
Im proposing Sasaki Kojiro as the director.He has good reputation and will likely be effective in that kind of position.Select Sasaki

Sasaki Kojiro
01-16-2007, 23:34
Select:Sasaki

Sir Boo
01-16-2007, 23:37
I agree seeing as it is the 1st round we should vote for a player with a good reputation as we have no leads or anything to go on...

Select: Sasaki

Warluster
01-16-2007, 23:44
Select: Um.. hm, hard one, Dont really know, hm.. pevergreen
I agree with GH

GeneralHankerchief
01-16-2007, 23:46
I think, in the spirit of keeping things fun, we should give this role to a first-time player. That way, he is guaranteed a chance of staying alive and thus it will become more likely that he will stay for future games.

Select: pevergreen

Kralizec
01-16-2007, 23:54
I think, in the spirit of keeping things fun, we should give this role to a first-time player. That way, he is guaranteed a chance of staying alive and thus it will become more likely that he will stay for future games.

I was going to vote for Sasaki, but I think this is a good point.

Sasaki Kojiro
01-16-2007, 23:59
Not keen on entrusting the power of life and death with a new player personally.

GeneralHankerchief
01-17-2007, 00:00
Not keen on entrusting the power of life and death with a new player personally.

It's only for two rounds.

Why do you want to have the unkillable role so badly?

Sasaki Kojiro
01-17-2007, 00:03

It's only for two rounds.

Why do you want to have the unkillable role so badly?

Why do you want pevergreen to have the unkillable role so badly? There are many new players.

I'm more interested in the choosing in case of tie vote. Remember interficio with two obvious innocents tied on round one?

JimBob
01-17-2007, 00:22
Select: Beirut

Who else to start us off but the axeman?

Csargo
01-17-2007, 00:25
Select:Me, Myself, and I

Who else to start us off but the axeman?

I'll laugh when you get axed in the back. Beirut can't be trusted.

HughTower
01-17-2007, 00:37

Why not? It's time for a revolution & that time is now.

Personally I'd be happier not entrusting it to someone who knew the game inside & out, such as yourself.

From one neo-mafioso to another.

Warluster
01-17-2007, 00:40
huh?

From one neo-mafioso to another
What does that mean?

Csargo
01-17-2007, 00:41
huh?

What does that mean?

It means he's mafia

Death Match
01-17-2007, 00:44
Welcome!!! I will vote: Ichigo

Death Match
01-17-2007, 00:46
I meant Select:Ichigo

HughTower
01-17-2007, 00:52
It means he's mafia

Does it? Might there not be a more relevant interpretation?

Hepcat
01-17-2007, 00:58
Well may as well give a new person a better chance than I had in my first Mafia game (remembers being lynched in the first round)

Give the new people a chance :2thumbsup:

Csargo
01-17-2007, 01:04
Does it? Might there not be a more relevant interpretation?

DO YOU DOUBT THE GREAT ICHIGO? I SHALL HAVE YOU KILLED FIRST BECAUSE OF YOUR INSOLENCE.

Big King Sanctaphrax
01-17-2007, 01:07
I say we Select: Beirut. He's played this role as a NPC in many previous mafia games, so it seems only fitting he gets it now.

Sasaki Kojiro
01-17-2007, 01:07
huh?

What does that mean?

He is making the mistake of referring to all mafia players as "mafiosos" when we would only refer to mafia members in that way.

Csargo
01-17-2007, 01:13
He is making the mistake of referring to all mafia players as "mafiosos" when we would only refer to mafia members in that way.

Most new members make the mistake of making a reference to their roles in these games. HMMMMMM

Sasaki Kojiro
01-17-2007, 01:17
Most new members make the mistake of making a reference to their roles in these games. HMMMMMM

louis did the same. I doubt they'd be foolish enough to actually reveal their role.

Redleg
01-17-2007, 01:22
Select: Abstain

I have no preference to whom ever play director.

TevashSzat
01-17-2007, 01:27

HughTower
01-17-2007, 01:28
DO YOU DOUBT THE GREAT ICHIGO? I SHALL HAVE YOU KILLED FIRST BECAUSE OF YOUR INSOLENCE.

Well, surely, then you must be Mafia already to have that power. As to your threat, well, ichi-come, ichi-go.

I like to think I would have said 'mafiosi' in that instance.

Yes, you're right, o wise one. Because we are all stupid, and new. And you are old, and clever.

Sigurd
01-17-2007, 01:29
Select : Beirut
He has been the director of previous games and have the experience needed to conduct well in this role.

AggonyDuck
01-17-2007, 01:34
Select: AggonyDuck

You know, you can only trust yourself in this game.

Pindar
01-17-2007, 01:55
If I understand correctly, Beirut is familiar with axes and the name recalls the cedars of Lebanon which are trees. Hewing a tree and dispensing justice seem similar enough and thereby fit McCall's call.

I'm going to make me a good sharp axe
Shining steel tempered in the fire
Will chop you down like an old dead tree
Dirty old town
Dirty old town
Ewan McCall -- 1985

I vote Beirut.

pevergreen
01-17-2007, 02:10
Pinder, has to be in Select: Beirut in bold.

I am honoured that you would choose me, various peoples that did.
I will Select: pevergreen

c) Ability to act at night is a function of the Director’s other Role.

So I can participate in townie group killing even when im director?

And being unkillable sounds like a nice way to figure out how to play properly!

Csargo
01-17-2007, 02:11
.Yes, you're right, o wise one. Because we are all stupid, and new. And you are old, and clever.

Hehehehe when did I refer to you as stupid? I was just saying a fact some new players do accidentally point out there roles without noticing it even some older ones. I'm old? If 17 is old then I guess I am.:inquisitive: Do I consider myself a veteran of these games.:yes: but I'm not old.

Caius
01-17-2007, 03:27
Select:Beirut
Changed the vote, no abstain

Cowhead418
01-17-2007, 05:32
Beirut has been a trusty police chief in many past mafia games, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for at least the first few rounds.

Kommodus
01-17-2007, 05:35
I also think it would be cool for a new player to get a chance to be the director. I was going to select pevergreen, but after this...

So I can participate in townie group killing even when im director?

...he seems a bit eager to kill. :help:

So I'm going to:

Select: Pindar

Also new, and what the hey, I like the guy. ~:grouphug:

Ignoramus
01-17-2007, 05:48

He's new to mafia games, and beisdes, if he's mafia it won't help him.

Crazed Rabbit
01-17-2007, 05:51
Hmm, tough choice between Pindar and Beirut. One is a font of wisdom, the other a true wielder of the axe.

But, seeing as Beirut has been given the role so many times in other games when he wasn't playing...

CR

01-17-2007, 06:13

:book:

EDIT: Crud. Looks like my vote way 13 minutes late. Sorry.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-17-2007, 07:41
I would have said
Select: Banquo's Ghost

Sadly, I think my vote may be a little too late, sorry.

pevergreen
01-17-2007, 07:52
Theres a time limit? phew, i got in.

I asked if i could go in the townie groups because i want to be able to do stuff at night. Not just die.

Major Robert Dump
01-17-2007, 08:54
The post said 1200 1/17th. That would be noon, not midnight, so voting is still open methinks.

While I appreciate being nominated, I don't want the job. Townie is tough enough as it is. The other nominees are great choices, so I'll vote for the one I don't really know anything about

select: pevergreen

Drisos
01-17-2007, 09:08

Reason for that has been stated by others.

Major Robert Dump
01-17-2007, 09:10
This story takes place during a snowstorm correct? Most of us in the midwest can roleplay this one.

pevergreen
01-17-2007, 10:47
Storm of some kind. I cant roleplay it ifs its snow, theres no snow in Queensland!

Sir Moody
01-17-2007, 10:50

Ituralde
01-17-2007, 10:53
Not sure how high the count is, but instead of wasting my vote I'm gonna change it to someone else. So let's see:

Sack: Major Rober Dump

Sasaki being unkillable, who wants that? :laugh4:

Banquo's Ghost
01-17-2007, 10:56
Since we're in the business of mob justice, who better than the inciter of mobs himself? (And it can't hurt to have my long-lost cousin in a position of power now can it? Family ties are important).

Select: Tribesman

pevergreen
01-17-2007, 10:58
My Vote Count

Tribesman 1
Sasaki 5
Pindar 1
pevergreen 7
Berirut 9
ichigo 2
Aggony Duck 1

doc_bean
01-17-2007, 11:01
Select: Kommodus

Maybe he'll live a little longer than usual this way !

pevergreen
01-17-2007, 11:08
Thats a truth. he wasnt killed first round in Graffiti Mafia was he? who was...:inquisitive: ill sack myself and vote for them..unless more people sack beirut and select me!

Stig
01-17-2007, 11:19
select: Beirut
it ain't 12:00 here yet

Peasant Phill
01-17-2007, 11:33
Select: Kommodus

Maybe he'll live a little longer than usual this way !

good point

Vote: Kommodus

Pannonian
01-17-2007, 12:32

As shown in Mafia V, he's clumsy and gullible enough to reveal any special role he has, so I'll feel safer having this bumbler as Director. I really don't trust a GeneralHankerchief to orchestrate things, not after Godfather I.

Orb
01-17-2007, 12:44
select: Beirut
I'd hate for our resident axe-swinging teddybear to be murdered.

pevergreen
01-17-2007, 12:54
teddy bear? Im getting mixed impressions of Beirut...

Banquo's Ghost
01-17-2007, 13:04

As shown in Mafia V, he's clumsy and gullible enough to reveal any special role he has, so I'll feel safer having this bumbler as Director. I really don't trust a GeneralHankerchief to orchestrate things, not after Godfather I.

Hey, I lubs you too :knuddel:

~;p

Proletariat
01-17-2007, 14:04
Eh, we can always sack 'im in a couple of rounds if it doesn't pan out.

I'll Select: Sasaki.

ByzantineKnight
01-17-2007, 15:20
Select: Abstain

I dont know anyone... :no:

ByzantineKnight

Seamus Fermanagh
01-17-2007, 15:45
19 People have yet to select.

Selection closes at 1200 (Noon) EST.

Of the 37 selection votes cast:

12 are for Beirut
8 are for Pevergreen
6 are for Sasaki
2 are for Ichigo and Kommodus respectively
Several singletons and 2-3 abstains

BOLD THOSE VOTES -- as things get fast and furious in later rounds, I do not want to miss one.

Please use "Select" for Director voting -- again, not an issue here, but in Round 3 etc. it could be.

ByzantineKnight
01-17-2007, 15:53
Sorry, I forgot...

Seamus Fermanagh
01-17-2007, 16:37
I will be in a business meeting from 1130 - 1415 EST. I will post the selection results shortly after that time on both threads.

Once selection closes at 1200 EST 1/17/7, our first "night" will have begun. At that time, ALL of you will be expected to PM me with your night-time actions.

While I understand that discussion and planning will likely slow your initial PMs to me, and while I will accept PMs and changes thereto up to the deadline for the 1st Night Phase (1200 EST 1/18/7), I encourage you to get your PM's to me by 0900 to facilitate a smooth writeup.

Thanks!

Don Corleone
01-17-2007, 17:27
I like Kommodus's way of thinking, but there's a few newbies that ought to be able to live for a few rounds in this game.

I agree with Pannonian... BG's got too much of a moral compass to play director and have a mafia role... he'd spill it if it looked like he was going to win...

Louis VI the Fat
01-17-2007, 17:42
Of the 37 selection votes cast:

12 are for Beirut
8 are for Pevergreen
6 are for Sasaki
2 are for Ichigo, Kommodus and Banquo's Ghost
I think the gamewise we would benefit from having a townie for director in the first round. But please not a n00b, that won't work. So that narrows the choice down to Kommodus and one other on this list...

Select: Kommodus.

HughTower
01-17-2007, 19:22
But please not a n00b, that won't work.

No, of course, of not. What was I thinking? We must humbly spend our days admiring & patiently learning from the 'veterans' until we have reached full Mafia maturity.

I now know why, with how this first 'blind' vote has gone, they say that knowledge is power. And also why they say that power corrupts.

Personally, I would find it hard to justify placing a vote for someone into an important role, who has so far said nothing in this particular game. Now that's what I call an election manifesto in a game about communication - silence.

Dutch_guy
01-17-2007, 19:25

As shown in Mafia V, he's clumsy and gullible enough to reveal any special role he has, so I'll feel safer having this bumbler as Director.

Aye !

Select:Banquo's Ghost

Sasaki Kojiro
01-17-2007, 19:30
No, of course, of not. What was I thinking? We must humbly spend our days admiring & patiently learning from the 'veterans' until we have reached full Mafia maturity.

I now know why, with how this first 'blind' vote has gone, they say that knowledge is power. And also why they say that power corrupts.

Personally, I would find it hard to justify placing a vote for someone into an important role, who has so far said nothing in this particular game. Now that's what I call an election manifesto in a game about communication - silence.

Well, we certainly can't be sure the person we select isn't mafia. But the problem with selecting new players isn't that they don't know anything. It's that we don't know if they know anything. We have nothing to make a judgement on. It would be similar to selecting someone who hasn't said anything in this particular game.

Sasaki

Seamus Fermanagh
01-17-2007, 19:34
The Lawman came with the sun.
There was a job to be done.
And so they sent for the badge and the gun
Of the Lawman.
-- Jerry Livingstone & Mack David

Sunset – Day One

“Well, now, your votes say you’ve selected Beirut as your initial Director of the Committee of Public Vigilance. I must say, though he’s a newcomer here, most of us are aware of his track record as a lawman in some of the toughest towns these past few years – you’ve made a fine choice. Beirut….”

Beirut walked forward, steadily, his features just a hint paler than typical. He kept hearing murmurs from the room….Beirut….swings a mean axe…willing to act in a crisis…<Cripes> thought Beirut as he reached the lectern <I wish I remembered half of what they said I’d been doing. All those memories – to me – are like I’d been some kind of ghost-participant…> He reached the lectern. Chief Fermanagh handed him a lapel badge – the rods and axe – and shook his hand.

“Congratulations. I know you’ll do us proud. As a reminder to you all, Beirut will administer the lynch voting for tomorrow and the next day, he’ll decide the method of execution and cause them to be carried out, and he’ll resolve any ties in the voting by whatever means he sees fit. We’ll have another round of voting to select the next Director on the day after tomorrow if our problems aren’t solved by then. That vote’ll run at the same time as Beirut’s 2nd lynching vote – if we need a second.”

Seamus gazed out over the room, the atmosphere inside was as gloomy as the weather without.

“I have sad news to relate as well. This afternoon a note was found pinned to the old Coast Guard Watchtower bulletin board. The note was written by Mithradites Seleukios. He claimed he wasn’t comfortable here anymore and that he was taking a leave of absence – perhaps forever. Seemed a little cryptic to me, but my precinct captains report that he has disappeared without a trace. With this gang threat looming over us, I’m not sure what to make of it – just thought you should know. A good night to you all.”

But would it be?

OOC:

Director selection concluded at 1200 EST 1/17/7.

Night One begins, please send in your PMs.

Selection Voting:

Beirut = 12 (Alexander, BKS, Caius, Cowhead, Crazed, Ituralde, JimBob, Orb, Pindar, Sigurd, Moody, Stig)

Pevergreen = 8 (General, Hepcat, Hughtower, Ignoramus, Kralize, MRD, Pevergreen, Warluster) [late vote by Masy]

Sasaki Kojiro = 6 (Drisos, Kage', Prole, Sasaki, Boo, Xdeath)

Banquo's Ghost = 3 (Omanes, Pannonian, Hagen) [late vote by Dutch]

Kommodus = 3 (Doc, Luigi, Phil)

Ichigo = 2 (Ichigo, Guru)

Abstain = 2 (Byz-Knight, Redleg)

AggonyDuck = 1 (Aggony)

Pindar = 1 (Kommodus)

Tribesman = 1 (Banquo)

Not Voting = 17 (Beirut, Berzerker, Arach, Destroyer, Dutch*, Ironside, Marcus, Masy*, Moros, Motep, Papewaio, Reenk, Stranger, Tribes, Ultra, Xiahou, Zalmoxis)

Masy
01-17-2007, 19:36
Voting for someone fresh seems sensible, at least at this early stage, as they have no past bias to call on. I would vote for myself, but I
I guess it's too late to influence anyone's decision.

Select: Pevergreen

edit - Aw cmon, did i really just miss it?

Seamus Fermanagh
01-17-2007, 19:42
Folks:

Please don't get into a pissing contest about new/veteran players.

This venue is -- by all accounts -- pretty distinct, so the playing field is more-or-less even for all.

New folks joining the gameroom group can only bring more enjoyment for all -- so I encourage all of you to do just that. Have some fun.

Zalmoxis
01-17-2007, 19:52
Missed it, but I couldn't log in yesterday, seems I've caught the flu.

Lord Winter
01-17-2007, 21:05
Sorry I was gone so I missed it.

I see to many alusions to GF I. Giving someone a " fun role they deserve is the exact way we elected the Godfather. It's espiclly troubling the masterminds of that strategy (Saskii and GH) are each driving there own canidates.

Louis VI the Fat
01-17-2007, 21:38
No, of course not. What was I thinking? We must humbly spend our days admiring & patiently learning from the 'veterans' until we have reached full Mafia maturity.

Gah! I have n00bs like you for breakfast! http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Manger/005s.gif

('though of course it's wiser to defuse the situation by pointing out I'm just a first-time player myself. The 'n00b' thingy was just some self-deprecating humour. As is, I'm scared, clueless and desperately trying to figure out the rules. About to panic, really.

But as my backroom brawlies know: sheer and utter cluelessness never deters me from posting the most outrageously pompous statements. :beam: )

The Stranger
01-17-2007, 21:38
i missed it... couldt be on sooner... i have exam periods now :P really good time... stupid exams.. screwing up my maffia game...

Who wants to be recruited by me?

Seamus Fermanagh
01-17-2007, 22:02
Sorry to intrude but.....

PLEASE keep your PM boxes open enough to send/receive messages from me. I cannot answer your question or send you results (later) unless your mailbox has enough space to accept them.

....you may now return to your regularly scheduled paranoic discussion.

The Stranger
01-17-2007, 22:07
Since when did you become a SM?

Sir Boo
01-17-2007, 22:11

Oh pick me :beam:

Seamus Fermanagh
01-17-2007, 23:27
Since when did you become a SM?

Got a very polite little note from Sir Cleggy about 3 weeks back as I recall. Was a nice attaboy, but alas I still can't seem to locate the secret clubhouse with the virtual transformation entrance to the Babe thread. Probably for the best since I'd scare the poor lasses.

CountArach
01-17-2007, 23:44
Sorry, was busy and missed the vote.

Major Robert Dump
01-18-2007, 00:27
There are three families according to the first page. This means that between the families Lucas we could possibly lose 3 townies tonight.

Between all the wiseguys working in their groups of 3 they could kill 4 townies. Wiseguys working with made family members only need 1/1 for a kill, but there are currently only 3 mades in the game so that means if the mades work with the families we could see up to 6 kills.

Townies need 4 for a kill, so they could get around 7

So on the high end we could lose up to 14, but i doubt the townies and wiseguys will be able to coordinate that well, and I'd be willing to bet the Lucas forgoe killing to protect their bosses tonight.

Also, Mades can act in a townie killing as one of the 4 members

My estimate: we lose 4 people tonight

Beirut
01-18-2007, 00:33
I've been elected though I chose not to run
Now I've a badge, a title and gun
The job'll be tough, like the rope we'll be cinching
Round somebody's neck when we gets to the lynching
So be sure to bring beer, enough for the gang
'Cause drunk mobs are best when the innocent hang

:bobby2: hee-hee-hee

Major Robert Dump
01-18-2007, 00:45
i missed it... couldt be on sooner... i have exam periods now :P really good time... stupid exams.. screwing up my maffia game...

You are so dead

pevergreen
01-18-2007, 01:16
I would presume by posting that he is mafia. But hes not retarded enough to post that, so you think he isnt mafia. But he would also have come to that conclusion, posting it so it looks like he isnt mafia and mafia at the same time.

(oh, recruit me!)

Motep
01-18-2007, 01:37
...I was finally able to get on for more than 10 minutes...and it turns out I missed something...ah well. (:bigcry: )...what?

...I have nothing to say...

Sasaki Kojiro
01-18-2007, 03:24
I would presume by posting that he is mafia. But hes not retarded enough to post that, so you think he isnt mafia. But he would also have come to that conclusion, posting it so it looks like he isnt mafia and mafia at the same time.

(oh, recruit me!)

This is WIFOM, we should just leave it.

Motep
01-18-2007, 03:30
This is WIFOM, we should just leave it.

...and what does that mean...

Sasaki Kojiro
01-18-2007, 03:38
...and what does that mean...

Stands for "Wine in front of me"

Motep
01-18-2007, 03:39
Stands for "Wine in front of me"

oh...:sweatdrop: ...sorry for my "noobliness"

pevergreen
01-18-2007, 03:42
Dont worry, i had no idea what it meant either..

Sasaki Kojiro
01-18-2007, 03:44
Well I'm glad it's all cleared up now

Sasaki Kojiro
01-18-2007, 03:55
ok ok

wifom--"wine in front of me" is a reference to the scene in "The princess bride" where wesley and vizzini engage in a battle of wits. Wesley presents vizzini with two cups of wine and says one of them is poisoned:

Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.
Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You've made your decision then?
Vizzini: Not remotely. Because iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
Man in Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait til I get going! Now, where was I?
Man in Black: Australia.
Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man in Black: You're just stalling now.
Vizzini: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Vizzini thinks he has the answer, but there is really no way to come to a conclusion. What pevergreen said earlier is the same thing:

You can't assume anything about someone alignment from an action like that. Making WIFOM arguments is distracting to the town and leads nowhere useful; it's often used by scum (mafia/serial killer) as a diversion tactic. Vizzini dies btw.

Cowhead418
01-18-2007, 04:02
I haven't been around the Gameroom in a while, so I still have to play catch-up. Sasaki, that is one sweet avatar you have there. Fits your personality perfectly.:beam:

PS: Seamus, you missed my vote, I voted for Beirut.

Seamus Fermanagh
01-18-2007, 04:25

(oh, recruit me!)

...This sounds a little like Vazini in Princess Bride.

Edit: Note to self, finish thread before replying. Someone smarter will probably have beaten you to it. <head thwacking brick sound>

Seamus Fermanagh
01-18-2007, 04:27
I haven't been around the Gameroom in a while, so I still have to play catch-up. Sasaki, that is one sweet avatar you have there. Fits your personality perfectly.:beam:

PS: Seamus, you missed my vote, I voted for Beirut.

Post #? My apologies if so.