PDA

View Full Version : CTD Fix (Maybe)

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-09-2007, 00:03
OUT OF DATE New Version found here: EDB v.802 (CTD Fix) (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=78531)

I've seen alot of AI turn CTD reports and I decided to post this. I made alterations to my EDB to stop a couple of problems. I think this stops the AI turn CTD, for I have yet to experience it since I made the aterations.

I would like to give credit to "Cheexsta" who came up with the basic idea for this.

This gives the ability to recruit the lowest level unit from the palace building, for each faction. This half-fix has a couple of problems: first, you can recruit this weak unit no matter the government and MIC level (namely the Romans, I gave them Rorarii, which you can get in any settlement no matter [including every era]); second, you can recruit this unit dispite the region (Lugoae in Africa if you get there with Arveni); third, the AI recruits these guys (slave faction will recruit pantodapoi everywhere). This will fix, however: if you give or request a city, it will spawn the new owners units; I think it will fix the AI CTD problem; and now there will be at least one unit to recruit in the unit devoid regions (for you and AI).

Here it is:
http://files.filefront.com//;6495840;;/
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y12XHP5U
Place this in the ...\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\ file, where the original EDB is. You may wish to back up the original. If you have made alterations to your EDB, they will be lost. (Though if you know enough to alter the EDB, would know this too.)

This also includes fixes for the Great Forum, Hippodrome, and Roman Port Upgrades bugs.

kalkwerk
01-09-2007, 00:08
You saved my day (and ruined my marriage lol).

:2thumbsup:

Oleo
01-09-2007, 19:08
You can also play with the normal unchanged EDB, then when you get a ctd, you swap the file resume play, play one turn, save, exit and place the original back in play. That way you dont get weird recruitment except for that one problematic turn.

Although this wont really work for the other things your file fixes.

kalkwerk
01-09-2007, 20:07
You can also play with the normal unchanged EDB, then when you get a ctd, you swap the file resume play, play one turn, save, exit and place the original back in play. That way you dont get weird recruitment except for that one problematic turn.

Although this wont really work for the other things your file fixes.
Thanks I wondered about that but didnt have the courage to try.

Luismi
01-09-2007, 22:38
Hello! I have a CTD (Crash to desktop) in the year 192 BC, with the romani faction, I've changed the file export_descr_buildings, and the problem to persist, I'm blocked in the same year, 192 BC.:furious3:

:help: :help: :help: :help:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-09-2007, 23:50
Hello! I have a CTD (Crash to desktop) in the year 192 BC, with the romani faction, I've changed the file export_descr_buildings, and the problem to persist, I'm blocked in the same year, 192 BC.:furious3:

:help: :help: :help: :help:

Well, if you are sure you have replaced the right file in the right folder, then this may be an unrelated bug. Have you tried all the other things suggested when you have a CTD like trying it without script on, and such?

Or this could be the same bug caused by a different trigger. I was going to make something like this a couple weeks ago but then the team started talking about this problem being caused by mercenaries. I have no idea what they meant so even now I don't know if this is a fix-all. Thus, all of my unsureness in the first post and the "(Maybe)" in the title.

Luismi
01-10-2007, 14:05
Thanks, but last night after write the post, I runned again the game, and the fxxx works perfectly now:oops: . In the future if I have new CTD, I will report in this forum, thank you.:2thumbsup:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-10-2007, 22:25
:2thumbsup:

EDIT: I was thinking about making this and I forgot to give credit to the original guy who I copied.
(History: Back in 1.2 this same bug was the one that caused settlements to refuse to rebel. It also caused a CTD when you killed all for a royal family but there were still settlements left that "refused to rebel".)

Harain
01-13-2007, 13:05
a small detail: your fix works wonders, but not if the problem faction is bankrupt, so just use the add_money command if you still have a CTD. Worked for me :yes:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-13-2007, 22:11
That's odd, the spawned units shouldn't cost anything. Thanks for the info though.

Conqueror
01-14-2007, 18:17
Filefront only gives me errors :wall:

We'll need an alternative download link for this important fix :help:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-14-2007, 22:50
I uploaded it to MegaUpload for those of you who do not like or cannot use FileFront.

fallen851
01-16-2007, 17:52
Is this mini-mod going to be updated for 0.81?

Teleklos Archelaou
01-16-2007, 18:36
Might I suggest that if it is, that it not be installed immediately upon loading 0.81? The reason is that we have tried to eliminate the problem (a different way) on our end, and we would like to see if it actually works. If it doesn't, we may wind up doing something like marcus has here, but give it a few days at least - then if you're having problems with CTD's still on random AI turns, absolutely go right ahead with it. Anyway, that's just a suggestion - there probably are going to be enough people playing anyway that we'll have plenty of evidence elsewhere too. Just a thought.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-17-2007, 00:12
If there is no CTD problem I probably won't make an update for this, unless people want something for the recruitment holes...

I am thinking of making an update for this right now though, in order to fix a few more bugs with the EDB. The problem is if I do it, .81 will be released and be it will be useless. If I put it off, EB.81 will not come out for a long time and I will be thinking, "I should have done that." That's just how my luck is.

fallen851
01-17-2007, 01:11
If there is no CTD problem I probably won't make an update for this, unless people want something for the recruitment holes...

I am thinking of making an update for this right now though, in order to fix a few more bugs with the EDB. The problem is if I do it, .81 will be released and be it will be useless. If I put it off, EB.81 will not come out for a long time and I will be thinking, "I should have done that." That's just how my luck is.

So you will update if the CTD problems continues?

That would be great.

Thanks.

Cheexsta
01-21-2007, 13:26
I would like to give credit to "Cheexsta" who came up with the basic idea for this.
/me dances.

It's good to see you went to a little bit more effort than I did, too ~;) If you wanted to make things even more detailed, you could create very basic "rebel stunt doubles" for each region - only one or two units per area - that only have slave in their Ownership field. Voila, realistic rebels that can't be recruited by the player. They can, however, be retrained...

Though that's probably a bit too much effort ~D The current system works well enough, and most players should be able to restrain themselves from recruiting the units intended only for revolts...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-22-2007, 01:28
The problem is that if the faction it is going to doesn't have anything to recruit, then it crashes. So if the city is going to the founding faction, it will crash if there is no units for it to recruit.

And then if you put a unit that is only recruitable for the "slave" faction(ownership=slave, recruitment=all), and it revolts to a faction, it will have that slave faction only unit. And trying to fight that unit in a battle will cause a CTD since the faction isn't suppost to have that unit. I tried this on my own build but it was only a half fix.

I also thought of making some kind of AOR system for the palace building recruitment, but the couple of times I have tried to figure out the EBAOR, I have just gotten a headache and given up. (I could copy the levy units in the first level of local MICs, but then there would still be the gaps.)