PDA

View Full Version : Cant join a game

MK_MadMick
01-10-2007, 22:29
A couple of weeks ago I played MTW2 online and really enjoyed it. It was as smooth as silk. I even hosted a few 3v3's and they played like single player.
This last few days I've tried to join games from the lobby and always get the same message 'Failed to join game [12.4.438]' The last 2 set of numbers change but first one always seems to be 12.
I've now uninstalled and re installed game, but still get same problem.
My computer is new and my connection is around 4 megs. Game is also patched to 1.1. Can anyone help please?
Cheers Hunter_MadMick

Denali
01-10-2007, 22:39
Im not 100% sure but i think the number means there is sumthing wrong with ur router settings.... u might have to open certain ports...

Did u shut down the firewall or put m2 on the list?

7Bear7Bottom
01-11-2007, 03:23
Best way to resolve any connection problem or game hosting with Game spy is to make a PPoE connction Icon on your desktop through your network connection wizzard. Connect to that anytime you want to host or connect to games.

This will by-pass all routers and firewalls and open all ports.

If your paranoid about your computer at risk, you better find that manual and enter your exception of port opening in your NAT setting on your router.

One more thing, make sure XP isn't blocking it aswell, as XP has it's own built in firewall. Put MTW2 as an exception to the rule in XP firewall.

I prefer to use the PPoE method because I can turn it on and off when I like, oppose to the NAT configuration, which leaves the ports open always for game Spy.

sapi
01-11-2007, 11:31
I'm sure you know what you're doing 7Bear, but how the hell connecting a non-existant pppoe connection helps anything is beyond me...

If you have a router set up, you're not going to be able to bypass it via another connection unless you have another physical modem...

Maybe i'm missing something here?

MK_MadMick
01-11-2007, 21:51
Yes firewall has MTW2 as an exception. I've tried re booting router and also turning off router completely for a few minutes. Nothing seems to work. Perhaps I'll have to try port forwarding, anyone any idea which ports need opening?

pike master
01-12-2007, 02:15
ive been tinkering with the problem too. all ports for gamspy and mtw2 are open in my xp firewall and my router firewall has never been activated and my phone company tech told me that because its set at zero that all ports are opened so im clean and im still having the problems as well as everyones second cousin from what ive seen on the org and com forums.

7Bear7Bottom
01-12-2007, 10:33
I'm sure you know what you're doing 7Bear, but how the hell connecting a non-existant pppoe connection helps anything is beyond me...

If you have a router set up, you're not going to be able to bypass it via another connection unless you have another physical modem...

Maybe i'm missing something here?

The best way I can explain PPoE is that it creates it's own IP address and port forwards your connection from the router to that IP with software drivers which mimics your router.

I have a router and a network switch, which means I have 2 firewalls, and PPoE by-passed them all.

There are sites where you can test your ports to see if any are listening. My results with PPoE not connected was no ports open, with PPoE connected all ports open and a warning I was visible on the web.

Ok guys, Just try to make a PPoE connection and test it out, it acts just like a dial-up connection(without loosing your speed).

I think you will find it works.

RtkBedivere
01-12-2007, 15:00
i dont know anything about this PPOE business but i get that connection problem every once in a while too. My connection is a dorm connection and during periods of high use sufferes from latency. What i find solves the problem is joining a fresh game (one that has just been hosted and has no other players in it) That seems to solve all my joining problems.

Now i just need to deal with the lag ~:(

MK_MadMick
01-15-2007, 21:50
Sorry Bottom your solution is way beyond me m8. I'm a computer dumbo, so things have to be simple. Interestingly though, the more I see the numbers that come up, the more I think they are part of an IP addy. I'll carry on with my crusade to get access to a game.
BTW I tried opening all the ports that GS recommends, but still no joy. :(

pike master
01-16-2007, 02:12
if it is an ip address problem it should be able to be fixed by either gamespy or sega.

pike master
01-17-2007, 15:51
i recieved an email from sega announcing they will have improved network code in the next patch.

i totally dont know what that means but i wont it

Lavos
01-17-2007, 16:50
Good to hear that. Still Bottom can you please explain how to set up that PPoE thingy? Who knows, maybe it can help with my own problem.

R'as al Ghul
01-17-2007, 17:07
Perhaps this how-to (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_pppoe.htm) can help you to set up PPPoE.