PDA

View Full Version : Navigable rivers

Hross af Guttenburg
01-14-2007, 02:14
Navigable rivers? Wouldn't this be an easy and fun feature? It would certainly add tactical realism to the mod.
What I mean by navigable rivers is of course widening certain parts of some majors rivers a little to allow for ships to sail up them into the country. Even river ports could be made increasing trade options for previously inland provinces.
Just a suggestion.

mayhem87
01-14-2007, 10:15
I think there is no space for it. Rivers with ports - it will must at least four movements points large river and thats unreal.
There is enough cities with sea ports.

Hross af Guttenburg
01-15-2007, 05:02
I wasnt aware about that with the ports needing that width, but widening the already existing rivers a little to allow ships wouldn't really take up too much map space would it?

Ivan_the_Terrible
01-19-2007, 04:42
I'm fairly certain that rivers are all the same width that cannot be altered to accomodate ships and ports.

However, the OiM team (Ogniem i Miezcem) released several screens of their campaign map for the RTW version they were planning, where they used the 'sea' to make the wider parts of the rivers. (from the deltas upwards some way inland). Offcourse, this would mean that the rivers wont 'flow' and generally wont look as good. This would, however, let fleets sail some way up rivers and enable trade along rivers to some extent.

Ivan_the_Terrible
01-19-2007, 04:47
I found the screen I was talking about, its here:

http://totalwar.iatp.org.ua/gallery/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=23

As you can see, the part of the Dniepr river closest to the sea is essentially made of the same 'stuff' as the sea, although it looks a little bit rough compared to actual rivers.

Darkarbiter
01-29-2007, 02:41
Navigatable rivers has been done in RTW mods and it works great (apart from looks). Don't see why ya cant do it with MTR.....

silverster
02-08-2007, 05:20
how may sea battles were done in rivers in medieval history? how many fractons (apart from Vikings) transported all their armies via river boats??

see my point?

I mean we CAN add a RIVER PORT building to increase trade (for those settlements next to a river) but i dont see a point of having an inland sea.

Hross af Guttenburg
02-10-2007, 01:25
There were actually a lot of naval battles in estuaires and off of major cities even in recent times: Battle of Copenhagen, Russian occupation of Stockholm harbour etc. As for the early middle ages there was a lot of activity around rivers, not just by vikings but many major crosscountry invasions were made with mahor rivers as their means of transport. Historically invasions always followed the major European rivers for this reason.