PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection probs?

|C|GOS|{Prince}Angus
01-14-2007, 09:29
Wireless connections are notorious for dropping players from game spy because it is quick to halt connectivity when it is idle..
sitting waiting for people to pick army
sitting waiting to deploy
or generally any inactivity

I have found a program I believe can help.I t seemed to be very effective solving the same problem in VI.
You can download it here:
tap://wy.wy.com/get/wy.tamal

If you have a wireless and have GS dropping probes, this might help

sapi
01-14-2007, 11:35
Just out of curiosity, why would gamespy have any affect on your connection?

It's up to the driver and/or windows to manage that, not a piece of third party software.

What's with teh link, anyway? Looks suspect...

|C|GOS|{Prince}Angus
01-14-2007, 17:33
srry the spell checker took over there, what i mean is wireless pauses connectivity to save band width or something like that when its idle

anyway here is that link again and i will avoid the spell checker this time round

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/conkeeper.html

|C|GOS|{Prince}Angus
01-14-2007, 17:49
games spy has nuthing to do with it as what I am saying is wireless connections are finicky, since you are in game and not actively surfing the web , I am saying that any inactivity on the user's part will cause the wireless connection to pause connectivity, which causes you to lose connection with gamespy, when I was playing vi several people would frquently be dropped from games due to inactivity, and this program was able to reduce the ammount of times this happened by almost 99%, mind you these were people with solid connections (dsl or better) that used a wireless router. But anytime they sat idle in game too long they would drop. After doownloading and installing this software , it quit happening to them. So I thought maybe it may help in m2tw as well. Its just a educated suggestion and may or may not help your wireless problems. But it seems no one else has any solution to offer to those that have a wireless connection and are frequently dropped from game spy. I am currently trying to trouble shoot a clannies problem with losing games spy connection, even though he has a 52 mb connection speed, but using a wireless router. ANd i have heard of a few others that are having this problem as well. I imagine there are connection settings for these people that may also be tweaked. But this is a fix that worked in vi and may work in m2tw too.

sapi
01-15-2007, 02:28
Well, if it works for you....

You may want to tell them that they can also avoid dropouts by either unchecking the setting in the driver or running a looped ping command to a local site at just inside the dropout threshold (there are programs to do this automatically).

good luck (and just a fyi - i'm posting this off a wireless connection and have no problems playing games, though i haven't really tried m2tw)

Jochi Khan
01-15-2007, 17:41
I use a wireless connection (Signal Strength 54.0 Mbps) with broadband and have had no problems at all with dropping from games or GameSpy.
Some games have taken a time to fill but the wait makes no difference to the connections.

sapi
01-16-2007, 01:47
Incidentaly, one of the best ways to preserve wireless connections is to turn the data rate down to ~12mbs, as that way you'll never drop down in speed midgame (and the net is always going to be the bottleneck, not the wireless)

|Heerbann|_Di3Hard
01-16-2007, 13:50
I have wlan too. It is a difficult subject. But most time it is a problem of driver or hardware incompatibility. E.g. you can try to change the slot of the pci network card. It can have a bad impact on the PCI bus, if e.g. the soundcard and the wlan card share one IRQ!

Or a change of the used channel can help. Many router uses channel 6 as default. You can try 3 or 9. You have to tweak long time, until it works.

sapi
01-16-2007, 14:16
To some extent that is true.

You're best off going for the fringe channels (1 and 13 in australia) to get as far away from the default middle one as you can.