PDA

View Full Version : online communication programs

Fenix7
01-15-2007, 13:33
While some people are waiting for the 2nd patch, others are not interested in MTW 2 at all, few are playing under different tags, there are quit few clans involved in mtw2 tournaments, etc.

I'm just wondering about online communication programs clans are using this days. In past days of TW MP comeptitions this was quit popular. What you prefer to use this days? Ventrilo, x-fire, skype anything else?

Denali
01-15-2007, 13:48
vent i believe is the best (also the most expensive but since i don't pay for it ... ) :laugh4:

skype i heard is because it decreases ur connection speed while playing, ts is just a cheaper alternative than ventrillo and on xfire other people sound like gollum. :dizzy2:

|Heerbann|_Di3Hard
01-15-2007, 16:44
vent i believe is the best (also the most expensive but since i don't pay for it ... ) :laugh4:

skype i heard is because it decreases ur connection speed while playing, ts is just a cheaper alternative than ventrillo and on xfire other people sound like gollum. :dizzy2:

Teamspeak is the best in my opinion. We have played MTW many years with TS. It hasn't the quality like skype but the performance is very well. And there are free servers, you don't have to pay.

Monarch
01-15-2007, 16:53
@ DieHard they're just the public ones people have payed for. They're not actually free...

Anyway LH has a ts and a vent. Vent's better but for some reason one of our members (some nub who calls himself the leader :inquisitive: ) has a mic that makes a kind weird loud constant humming sound. But it doesn't happen on ts so we use ts more.

I've used skype whilst playing americas army with my actual rl mates, just because its actually free, but like den said its not made for gaming so hogs more memory than ts and vent.

Xfire voice chat is just the best, because its the funniest. :laugh4: Everyone sounds like utter idiots on it :2thumbsup:

CBR
01-15-2007, 17:03
You can just host your own TS server. That what I do when we play. Ventrilo works ok too IIRC but we had connection probs with one player so ended up using TS. All in all im happy with TS.

CBR

|Heerbann|_Di3Hard
01-16-2007, 13:09
@ DieHard they're just the public ones people have payed for. They're not actually free...

You can install the server for free, if you do it for non-profit. There are TS providers, who take money for hosting (traffic, administration, licence costs).

KrooK
01-16-2007, 23:36
SC is using TS
but we never use it during training only during games.

RTKBarrett
01-19-2007, 14:46
I go on vent for anything that isnt competative as i think everyone on there sounds real and not like a robot :D
TS is the more reliable for competative tw games i have found in my own personal case, its just a shame that everyone sounds the same on there to me whether they are Dutch English or American :P

CBR
01-19-2007, 15:00
TS is the more reliable for competative tw games i have found in my own personal case, its just a shame that everyone sounds the same on there to me whether they are Dutch English or American :P
Hm in my experience I cant understand Tosa(Dutch) nor Tears(Swede) but Yuuki is fine on TS. Somehow I dont think it has anything to do with TS though :laugh4:

There are some quality settings for the host and if its set low than the sound can certainly be pretty bad on TS.

CBR

Monarch
01-21-2007, 01:11
I go on vent for anything that isnt competative as i think everyone on there sounds real and not like a robot :D

Thats weird, theres usually a broad range of accents on lh ts (we had a dutch player a while back dutch, then theres american, geordie, mancunian, brummy and well..me, who doesn't really have an accent because I don't speak in the normal chavvy scummy accent which apparently is defined as a "les'ta" one. So I'm just normal :P) n I can easily tell difference :P

RtkBedivere
01-21-2007, 05:51
Vent 4 life

TS, meh dont like that purple backround and im to lazy to change my skin.

Xfire while great for in game messaging is just plain annoying on voice chat. i seem to remember having one with melon for a couple minutes and his TV was on in the backround. I heard everying thing that happened in his room for 5 minutes because there is no way to enable push-to-talk.

Monarch
01-21-2007, 13:46
Tools > Options > Voice > Click push to talk radio button.

:idea2:

Grendy
01-21-2007, 19:26
Vent is numero uno.

X-fire is not great for talking on. What it excels at is hunting down your clanmates, when they are late for a tournement match.Why is it that they're always playing Spider Solitaire?

Darkarbiter
01-29-2007, 03:22
Vent is numero uno.

X-fire is not great for talking on. What it excels at is hunting down your clanmates, when they are late for a tournement match.Why is it that they're always playing Spider Solitaire?
lol

I use MSN for RL friends (cos they are too lazy to get teamspeak and xfire). For games I use xfire and Teamspeak.

ElmarkOFear
01-29-2007, 06:46
Monarch, the odd sound from your teammate's mic is probably due to his mic being too close to the speakers or he hadn't adjusted the noise filtering setting for his Vent account. If you go into the "setup" menu (from the Vent chat channel listing menu), on the bottom right of that menu there are 2 sliders. One is for adjusting your outgoing volume, the other one is for filtering out noise.

Tell him to try this, if you haven't already. I was having problems with feedback and adjusting the filterl slider corrected the trouble.

I just used Ventrillo for the first time today. I was having a lot problems getting the mic to to work, until I finally figured out the mic was bad. DOH! :laugh4: I bought a new headset/mic and was good to go.

Though they didn't believe I was who I said I was since they were of the opinion my accent wasn't Kentucky Hillbilly enough. :)