PDA

View Full Version : Hades Theatre of War

Marshal Murat
01-18-2007, 04:20
Stars:Binary Red Giants
Planets:16 planets, 4 asteroid belts

The war had been going on for nearly a year. The system was the link between the Ming Empire and the European Colonist Federation, the Federals. The system was rich with metals and organic planets, the Tantalus Planet providing a heavy industrial base for the entire system. The system was the midpoint system between the Ming system of Juan, and the Federal system of Cracow. The star patterns were arranged in such a way that it was like an hourglass, all trade funneled through the Hades Super System.

The Ming had jumped in, launching a blitzkrieg of naval power, smashing local forces with their carrier and battleship fleets. They sought to expand, get the poor and beggars out of the slums of Beijing, Hong Kong, Canton, and the other major planet systems of their empire. The Federal expanse was moderate, with ethnically similar colonies, the Germans settling with Germans, Poles with Poles, French with French, and Spanish with Spanish.

The Hades System was given the nickname "Cremation" because of the hellish fire that burned the entire population of Tantalus, forcing the war beyond diplomacy. The system was massive in size, an astronomical oddity where god had allowed a massive system to form.
As Commodore Henryk Pratushki, you were assigned to the logisitical nightmare of Cracow, the massive base that supplied the Federal fleet in Hades. The logisitcal problems were that the fleet elements were thrown in pell-mell, and when it was finished, the ball of disorder began to order itself. Taking no small part, you were able to order the missile and rail-gun stockpiles, allowing everything from the superdreadnought Antipov to the destroyer EFS 11-32. One day, your e-mail box was cleared, save for one letter from Fleet Headquarters.
Reporting to Grand European Federal Fleet Headquarters (GrEuFeHQ) in Nova Cracow, you weave your way through the compound until you reach it. The office of Fleet Admiral Daumont. You sit down in your dark blue uniform and red braid, dressed for perfection, polished and shined.
"Commdore Pratushki, do you know of the situation in Hades?"
"Yes sir."
"Care to expound upon that?" Daumont spoke softly, and you feel gnawing suspicion and fear.
"The situation has descended into deadlock. If we sally forth, then we'll bloody the Ming, but they'll bloody us back. We can't take their side of the system, and they can't take ours." Your report lights up the Admiral's face, a rare event.
"Very good Commodore. That is why we have decided to create Task Force 1.5, your command. We are building ships faster than crews, all paid for by the Parliament. As such, we have decided to create task forces of light carriers, cruiser, and destroyers to prick the Ming, as it were. Strike their supply bases, their logistical support, and their transports. Commerce raid if the task force is called to do so. Yours is the first, with two more to be created in a couple months."
"Thank you, sir." You feel the suspicion and fear drop away at such a commission. A free reign over a task force.
"Report to Hades, and your crews will be awaiting you."
"Yes sir." You reply, standing and saluting. Making you way out, you pick up the information packets, and that evening, the military transports carried you and a company of Marines to Hades and Cremation.

In Hades System, you go over the list of your ships.
1st Federal Fleet, Task Force 5 (1.5)
Heavy Cruisers
Helvetii-3 heavy railguns, 2 light rail-guns, 8 rocket tubes
Sequani-2 heavy railguns, 4 light rail-guns, 6 rocket tubes
Light Cruisers
Aquitani-3 light rail-guns, 8 rocket tubes, flak-datalink (slaves all AA weapondry to a central server that provides cover for 10 ships)
Light Carrier
Marengo+70 fighter/bombers
Destroyers
11-02, 10-23, 09-34, 09-56-2=light rail-guns, 6 rocket tubes

A total of 9,500 service-men and women.

Your first orders are as such.
GrEuFeHQ TF 1.5 Orders
1.To destroy any major Ming Logisitical Depots
2. Disrupt flow of supplies to Ming Front Lines
3. Contribute to major fleet actions, if the need or situation arises

Pacing the deck of the Marengo, your flagship, you identify the three areas of attack.
First is the Western Wing. This is located on the western end of the system, with Ming entrance point being North. It is sparsley populated, with only a few planets. The Fleet had engaged the Ming fleet there, and it resulted in a decisive Federal victory, cutting back on the Ming assaults in the western area. It would be good hunting ground for intelligence, but the area is populated by Fleet and Ming mine fields, and since it isn't a major combat area, the possibilty of hitting either Ming depots or convoys is small.
The second is in the center of the system. The Ming and Federal fleets were able to create a signifiant dead-zone, with mines and sensor bouys deployed across the area. A signifigant task force of the Federal Fleet sits there, mirrored by a Ming fleet. If your ships punched through there, you would be able to call in signifigant Fleet forces, possibly creating a major battle that would allow your ships to disappear into space and then swing around and hit the depots and convoys.
The third area is the Eastern Salient. The Ming had conquered a section of the belt which stretched across, and fortified it so well that the Fleet was unable to break through. This fortress of asteroids has thrust into your lines, and has been the source of much Federal consternation. If you punch through with a Federal covering action, you could hit the convoys that supply the asteroid fortresses, and allow the Fleet to come in later and destroy the asteroids piecemeal and at minimal losses. Or you could join the first Federal ships in the Salient, floating amongst the wreckage of the second wave, and the third, and fourth.

Marshal Murat
01-18-2007, 21:58
No one is interested?

I'm going to make this one work, and I want to get some feedback.
What can I improve? Where is it to much. Do I need to change my whole premise or is it something small.

Marshal Murat
01-20-2007, 03:23
Ah well, I tried.

Please delete
DELETE

Caius
01-20-2007, 23:29
Ah well, I tried.

Please delete
DELETE
Wait.

I will join.

Marshal Murat
01-20-2007, 23:37
Okay, then choose an option.

Marshal Murat
01-24-2007, 23:16
Sorry man...
DELETE

Cataphract_Of_The_City
01-27-2007, 16:18
I choose 3, if you want to run this MM. 3 seems to be a good choice to see our capabities in the kind of action a light force would engage in. 1 it too little and and major battle is too risky.

Marshal Murat
01-27-2007, 19:34
Hey someone replied.
Since that is the case, I guess I'll add to the story.

Pratushki looked over his strategic holo-map. The Eastern Salient needed supplies to live. That meant a rich jugular of freighters and transports.

Setting out from the Federal base, TF 1.5 links up with TK 1.3, 1.4, and 1.1 as they prepare to assault the fortress asteroids. Launching their assault, eight super-dreadnoughts enter the field, launching rockets and firing their 16-inch railguns as fast as they can. You launch you warshisp through the battle, managing to follow the super-dreadnoughts and a second wave of cruisers. Your Task Force managed to break through the line, disappearing into the rear areas. Your eight ships take up a post, and soon your bombers kill nearly ten freighters from a passing convoy. The Ming seemed to notice it almost instantly. As such, you flee northwest, drawing the re-inforcements away from the asteroid fortresses, which are taking heavy losses as ammunition runs out.

Now sitting in space, a Ming Task Force appears from the west, searching for your eight ship task force.
Three battleships, four cruisers, and two destroyers. What do you do?

Caius
01-27-2007, 19:37
Helvetii-3 heavy railguns, 2 light rail-guns, 8 rocket tubes

Cataphract_Of_The_City
01-28-2007, 06:07
We do have a carrier so perhaps by launching every craft and attacking in force from two directions with our small fleet we can surprise them and force them to retreat.

Marshal Murat
01-28-2007, 07:13
Sitting in your chair, you watch the tactical plot. The Ming warships were passing by, turning back to sweep around. The battleships could blast your carrier into smithereens, and the three cruisers oculdn't face that much firepower. It was suicidal. The destroyers could take down your bombers when they would swoop in. Unless they didn't notice your warships.
"Helmsman, bring this ship around to eight-zero."
"Aye Commodore," replies the helmsman, who fired the thrusters and turned the magnetic rudder, turning the carrier to face 80 degrees.
"Transmit to fleet formation Delta-4, on my mark."
"Aye Commodore," the comm. officer spoke.
Delta-4 was a two pronged operation, where one force would hit the enemy from long range, and then the second would come in their rear and hit them with torpedoes.

When the Ming task force had passed, you order 'Execute' and the two cruisers Helvetii and Sequani light their engines an move off the bow of the Marengo, for about 1,000 kilometers. The Marengo and the destroyers, along with the cruiser Aquitani stay on station. The Ming Task Force passed back, a little farther down, and within the firing range of the two cruisers.

You listen to the sounds of battle on your ear-bud. The two cruisers have struck the destroyers, and the flight controller awaits you signal.
"Launch phase two." You order your XO. The catapults fire, and 50 bombers take off. The Aquitani and destroyers fire their engines, and start for the sound of battle.
Watching on-screen, the bombers have taken out all three battleships with their AM warheads, and the destroyers inflicted 20 casualities on yourself. The Helvetii took about 500 dead, and Damage Control was damaged, along with several cicuits. As the Ming task force flees, harried by your bombers and destroyers, you plot your next move.

1)You can either contiune on your route through the system, and let the Helvetii return to repair
2)Contiune on your route, and use the Helvetii as bait
3)Turn the task force around and return home, re-fit, and then go out again.

Tell me what I need to improve, and I'll do what I can. Your input makes this interactive better.

Cataphract_Of_The_City
01-28-2007, 07:35
Nice to see those aggresive tactics paying off. I will stick by them. I am all for Alexandrian style pursuits for maximum disruption. The confusion we can deal now along with an attack on the eastern salient will perhaps be our first major operational victory!

I choose option 1 MM.

Come on people, join it. More opinions will improve the depth and quality of this interactive!

Warluster
01-28-2007, 10:07
I say option1, but option 3 would be okay because we'd be protected a bit more, it not in a million worlds would I choose option2.

Marshal Murat
01-30-2007, 02:58
Your ships would be better served with speed rather than firepower, and you detach the Helvetii back to the Federal Fleet base. After the final battle, the pickings were scarce, and a fleet communique confirmed it, as the Asteroid Fortresses fell beneath a wave of Federal battleships and dreadnoughts.

Another message indicates that the Ming were now shifting their fleet forces to the leveled field. This is confirmed two days later as you watch as three Federal destroyers are pummeled to death by a fleet of Ming carriers, battleships, cruisers, destroyers, and dreadnoughts. Your fleet stays out of sensor range, allowing your compatriots to die beneath a hail of torpedoes, rockets, bombs, and railgun shells.

A few days later three transports appear on your scanners, protected by a destroyer. Your fleet is far behind the Ming battle-front, and these transports were leaving the heavily fortified Hachamoto Base.
You decide to leap on the light forces, despite the proximity. Launching your bombers, the 40 bombers leap in, diving and swirling around the transports. The destroyer was an antique, but you send in your two destroyers to counter it and sweep up the remaining transports.

However, as your bombers are returning with the destroyers, a task force appears on your scanners, coming from your starboard.
The initial radar contact by the Sequnii indicates about four cruisers, and two battleships.

Your warships are in the worse case scenario. The bombers returning have to re-arm, and the remaining 25 craft are fighters. The Sequanii and Aquitanii link up their flank cannons, as well as the destroyers.

What do you do?
1)You could flee, but this would leave your bombers and two destroyers trailing to follow, and open to enemy fire. However, you must decide which is more important, your fleet or your destroyers.
2)Throw you destroyers into the enemy task force. They may not have realized your approach, and would be thrown into confusion by the sudden assault.
3)Use your destroyers the cruisers, the Sequanii and Aquitani to hold off the attack, assemble your bombers, and then throw them back in. Any damage taken during the convoy attack would be exacurbated, and if the enemy notices that it's a light force they could bull through and face your carrier.

Warluster
01-30-2007, 08:11
I say 2

Caius
01-30-2007, 23:24
I say three

Cataphract_Of_The_City
01-31-2007, 02:32
I think we need the bombers for this. Hopefully the ships will hold long enough. However the attack should be as aggresive as possible and planned to achieve maximum confusion to the enemy and buy as much time as possible for the bombers to reload. So 3 it is.

Marshal Murat
01-31-2007, 23:07
You decide to launch the destroyers and cruisers to cover your carrier as she recovers her planes. The Ming warships seem surprised to find the rockets, torpedoes, and rail-guns firing into their formation.
Your carrier moves in to take on the bombers, who are shaken by the sudden pull of magnetic grips. The bombers are equipped with more AM warheads and flow off. However, the enemy bulls through your light formation with rockets.

One destroyer is leaking atmosphere, and the communications relay is knocked out. Another round from a battleship runs through the core of a destroyer, sinking her in fusion flame. The Sequanii managed to pull back and destroy a Ming cruiser. However, the Ming Battleships wiegh in with their heavy rail-guns, and hell breaks loose. The Aquitanii takes a severe blow to her fusion reactor, and a small nova breaks loose inside her hull. A few seconds later, the reactors consumed most of your cruiser.

The destroyers add in two rockets, firing away at the other battleship when your carrier launches the first wave of bombers. Having configured the anti-space guns for defense against rockets, the bombers swoop in and blow apart two cruisers, then damage the battleships. One Ming Battleship is actually rendered useless as an AM bomb strikes the outer hull and blows apart the forward munitions containment field, annihilating the forward bow.

Your carriers second wave covinces the Ming to withdraw back to base.
Your warships are down to the Marnego, Sequanii, and three destroyers.
You decide to turn home for another attack.

To be contiuned...

Marshal Murat
02-03-2007, 05:08
DELETE, will be revised and started later.