PDA

View Full Version : Highways (Road Level 3) works perfectly on M2TW!

SilentResident
01-18-2007, 13:17
Interest news my friends! The CA has disabled the third level road that comes from Rome: Total War, for some reason. I found it in Medieval 2 Total War. It was hidden in files. But is still available to the game! It has no Building Icon but it can be effective/available on the M2TW Campaign Map!

Highway is the dark-gray colored road, like the one from Rome: Total War and is available to your M2TW Campaign map. Only if you go to data/export_descr_buildings.txt and change the line "road_level 1" to "road_level 2", you will enjoy those nice big roads in the game!

(If I build all the two roads after the above modification, I can see those highways on the Campaign map and when the mouse cursor stops above them, a pop-up message says: Highways: allows armies to march long distances.)

So, the Highways works perfectly! Also, my tradeable goods/unit movement points increased per turn! Why CA has disabled this nice hinterland building that comes from Rome: Total War?
In the real Medieval age (not in the game but in reality), some famous avenues/highways really have been builded or repaired in the center of France, Italy (Latium Province), and in Greece (Macedonia Prefecture), ect.
So, why those Highways have been "removed" from M2TW's Tech Tree?

(this post here is a copy of the original http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm55 with title "Highways (Road Level 3) works perfectly on M2TW" because here will be free for Modding.)

And sorry for my bad Englishes!

alpaca
01-18-2007, 14:30
Nice discovery :2thumbsup:

yezhanquan85
01-21-2007, 04:55
Note: Besides changing the road_level figure, u'll have to change the convert_to number above it, othersie you'll get the highways but without its benefits..

SilentResident
01-27-2007, 14:07
The mod that unlocks Highways (level 3 Road) in Medieval 2:Total War released by selenius4tsd!
Here is the link, its free, and ready for downloading!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1125

or

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=7 and search the "Highways Mod (Completed Version)".

Thanks to selenius4tsd for the using of my TGA pictures and the exellent work! :2thumbsup:

I hope you have a nice day for hiking on the new highways!!! :laugh4:

serenius4tsd
01-27-2007, 20:29
:laugh4:

Actually I should be thanking you, not you thanking me! You found it, remember! :beam:

SilentResident
01-28-2007, 10:37
:laugh4:

Actually I should be thanking you, not you thanking me! You found it, remember! :beam:

My thanks is because is my first time I cooperated with another moder (you) to build a mod!... And also, for the very good texts descriptions you added for the highways! (Because I am bad in Englishes...):book:

Foz
01-28-2007, 22:56
Is there any reason this would make my game unable to load, guys? It looks like it gets to reading the files, and always quits then - I tried putting things back one at a time, and the export_descr_buildings.txt file made it crash, but I'm guessing that it's referencing some file it cannot find.

I should note that I didn't unpack things entirely, as I lack free hard disk space sufficient to do so - I unpacked primarily the .txt and .xml files. Does anyone know or can they find out which other files I will need to unpack in order to get the mod working? I'm fairly certain it must be a file I didn't unpack, as the export_descr_buildings.txt file is the same for everyone and no one else has had trouble, and therefore it be must be something that I have to unpack that I haven't as of yet...

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

SilentResident
01-28-2007, 23:26
With this way I believe you can solve your problem:

-Go to:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local_links.php?catid=136
In this site, you can found the M2TW Mod Folder Installer. Download it.

-Run the Mod Installer and this will creates a new folder named "mymod" (in your M2TW game's directory). In the "mymod" folder, the Mod Installer, will install only the few important files needed for the game.)

Then, install the Highways Mod in the mymod folder (replace all the files if it asks you)

Run the game from the mymod.bat (created by Mod Installer in your game directory) and not from medieval2.exe.

Now you can enjoy the game, loaded with your few modified files!

ezekiel6
01-29-2007, 00:37
Foz: the only files I have edited to get the highways working are, the EDB, the EDB_enums, and the export_buildings.txt in the data/text folder. The only other things I added were the .tgas to the appropriate folders in data/ui.

Foz
01-29-2007, 05:58
Wow... that bit with the mod folder actually worked, to my surprise. I can't imagine why the game would demand that the files be in the mod directory to work right. I had every single other change I'd made running correctly just using io.file_first (I had changed a lot), but for some reason this one just wouldn't work. Weird. Anyone know why this would be the case? It's obviously less crucial now, but still intrigues me to find out what causes such a thing.

And of course, thanks SilentResident for the help :smile:

SilentResident
01-29-2007, 17:32
The Highway mod is *not* complete. The following text should be added to the data\export_descr_buildings_enums.txt

highways
highways_desc
highways_desc_short
highways_northern_european
highways_northern_european_desc
highways_northern_european_desc_short
highways_mesoamerican_desc
highways_mesoamerican_desc_short
highways_middle_eastern
highways_middle_eastern_desc
highways_middle_eastern_desc_short
highways_eastern_european
highways_eastern_european_desc
highways_eastern_european_desc_short
highways_greek
highways_greek_desc
highways_greek_desc_short
highways_southern_european
highways_southern_european_desc
highways_southern_european_desc_short
c_highways
c_highways_desc
c_highways_desc_short
c_highways_northern_european
c_highways_northern_european_desc
c_highways_northern_european_desc_short
c_highways_mesoamerican_desc
c_highways_mesoamerican_desc_short
c_highways_middle_eastern
c_highways_middle_eastern_desc
c_highways_middle_eastern_desc_short
c_highways_eastern_european
c_highways_eastern_european_desc
c_highways_eastern_european_desc_short
c_highways_greek
c_highways_greek_desc
c_highways_greek_desc_short
c_highways_southern_european
c_highways_southern_european_desc
c_highways_southern_european_desc_short

Please, update this file to make the game 100% correct working & complete, preventing from appearing of future problems.

SilentResident
01-30-2007, 20:41
The export_descr_buildings_enums.txt, in different way from Rome: Total War is 100% completely useless.

THE MOD IS REALLY 100% COMPLETED, even if certain users in other forums comment that this file must be edited (as I posted above).

This file is not working during the game, don't worry about this, is useless. :inquisitive:

Have a nice day:yes:

--------

Shahed
04-19-2007, 17:41
Hi SilentResident, and everyone else.

Ti ka nete ??!!??

Thanks ! for making this available for us.

Look I've modded my buidings des already. is it possible to mod the highways in for me. I had a look in the rar and this will modify my buildings des, which is already modded. How can make this work with "my mod" ?

Ephrahisto Poli !

Shahed
04-19-2007, 20:47
Hi Guys.. just wanted to say I found my answer here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80726&highlight=highways

Note that trade bonus is also not working in this mod, like in vanilla. There is a ; in front of the line. If you remove the ; then it works.

BUT what it does is it increases TRADEABLE GOODS, not trade per se. SO I don't know what balance issues this might have if it is enable. My guess is it can only be good because the AI will get even more cash, but so will you.

It works ! But wow the effect on trade and movement points is HUGE ! I can see why they left it out. It's good for me though. Thanks.

BTW I also added the text from SilentRersident's post into the enum file as it was not there, just in case.

Salute !

qal
04-22-2007, 23:35
Thank there SilentResident i think this will be cool but when u say update the file so just copy and past??? right ?? and for the other files just overwrite them ///..// thank u

qal
04-25-2007, 22:59
Thank u it works perfectly

JJ2335
06-16-2007, 22:17
Thank u it works perfectly

Under patch 1.2, the Highway mod causes a crashes to desktop during loading. Anyone have luck updating it to work in the latest version?

alpaca
06-17-2007, 18:16
Highways work fine for me, I don't know about the highway mod.
Here's the code you have to put into your edb (obviously edit it to your preference):

building hinterland_roads
{
levels roads paved_roads highways
{
roads requires factions { all, }
{
capability
{
road_level 0
}
material wooden
construction 3
cost 400
settlement_min town
upgrades
{
paved_roads
}
}
paved_roads requires factions { all, }
{
capability
{
road_level 1
}
material wooden
construction 5
cost 1200
settlement_min city
upgrades
{
highways
}
}
highways requires factions { all, }
{
capability
{
road_level 2
}
material wooden
construction 10
cost 3600
settlement_min large_city
upgrades
{
}
}
}
plugins
{
}
}

JJ2335
06-20-2007, 00:50
Highways work fine for me, I don't know about the highway mod.
Here's the code you have to put into your edb (obviously edit it to your preference):

building hinterland_roads
{
}

Thanks for the reply alpaca, unfortunately game crashes with an editied export_descr_buildings.txt to enable highways. By edb you mean export_descr_buildings.txt?

I have done the following.

-re-installed game, then pasted the above 'building hinterland_roads' over original entry. I only have the edb txt file in data folder. No other files are unpacked. The game crashes upon load with the io.file_first switch. Of course no loading problems if I restore the export_buildings.txt.

-tried using selenius4tsd highway mod under patch 1.1 & 1.2.
-tried loading custom 'my mod' with the modfolder installer =)

Maybe, I made a syntax typing error ? Do I need to unpack all files besides the txt? I wouldn't mind trying someone's edited files for highways. Really appreciate your guys help.

So strange. I have successfully made my own edits to ancillaries, descr_strat, events, character traits. I apologize for all the trouble.

JJ2335
06-20-2007, 12:05
I finally figured it out the loading problems. You've got to do run a full unpack and not just the text file. =/

Again thanks for the code Alpaca.

alpaca
06-20-2007, 17:47
I finally figured it out the loading problems. You've got to do run a full unpack and not just the text file. =/

Again thanks for the code Alpaca.
I forgot: You also have to add descriptions to text/export_buildings.txt.strings.bin by converting it and then supplying:

{highways}Highways
{highways_desc}Description
{highways_desc_short}Short Description