PDA

View Full Version : The Knight problem

MrMerisi
01-22-2007, 15:45
For many players the overabundance of super knights is an issue and unrealistic.

In order for it to be realistic, here are my suggestions for Catholic factions (not all items will be moddable, I know):

Raising the troops

King's Authority rating affects the type, number and "hiring cost" of knights available in the recruitment pool even with all required tech (quite often the barons wouldn't come and fight for a weak/despised king); so a king with low Authority would only be able to recruit the lesser, poorer nobility (those with something to gain) and not the élite troops (those with a lot to lose). A king with high Authority would be able to get the best troops available at the time, and more of them, for a lower cost. This raises the importance of role playing your king and heir and paying the price for poor leadership.
A Governor's Loyalty rating should also affect the number and type of knights available in the recruitment pool in a given castle (low loyalty means low effectiveness in convincing the barons to fulfill the vows of their vassalage, whereas the lesser nobility may fight); settlements without family members should not be able to recruit knights, so your best and most loyal governors would have to ride around the kingdom mustering the best men available;
High Authority and high Loyalty reduce "hiring cost" of knights (as they fought in exchange for land/title/semi-autonomy). Having low Authority and Loyalty means not only a decreased unit pool, but also higher cost of the knights who do make themselves available to fight ("If you want me to fight, make it worth my while. As it is, you have no authority over me so why should I care if you call on me to fight for you.")
The level of land development and base farming affects the type and number of knights available in the region. A rich region (in which the king has invested significant funds in land improvement) would have several rich barons and many lesser nobles; a poor region would have perhaps only a few units of lesser nobles available. Why build a citadel in a poor region with poor farming and few nobles to assert authority over?
An Armourer should be required in order to recruit any knights that have Partial Plate as their minimum armour, regardless of the other buildings you have (unless you mod in weapons and armour resources on the map in places like Toledo and Damascus and have a Merchant on those resources);
The king's Piety affects his access to Order knights. Even if you have the Chapter House, why should these holy knights fight for a man who doesn't believe in God? You get 1 Order unit for every 2 Piety rings the king has and 1 unit for every Cathedral in your kingdom, 2 for every Huge Cathedral. So a low piety king can build Cathedrals to increase piety and access to Order Knights, and this legacy remains after his death, because Order Knights are still "attracted" by the Cathedrals themselves.
After the discovery of gunpowder, all élite knight availability should gradually decrease, to as little as 25% of actual, representing many knights' refusal to fight against untrained peasantry that could kill them quite easily and where martial prowess and class mattered little.

Maintaining armies of knights

Historically most knights fought as vassals for their feudal lord, creating a hierarchy of princes, earls, barons and lesser nobility. But they served for limited periods of time, so this should be reflected in the game. You raise knights when you need to go and fight, and when their period of service is up, they go back home (except for Crusades which have their own rules). For every turn beyond their base "availability period," their maintenance cost goes up in inverse proportion to the king's Authority rating. A high Authority king commands his vassals to serve beyond their agreed period; a low Authority king has to buy their continued service.
Knights should take longer to become available again in regions, representing the time that lapsed between periods of service to the crown. This way regions can produce "waves" of knights over several turns, but knights with a sort of "shelf life," after which their maintance costs can skyrocket if you don't disband them (which can only be done in a friendly region, and you assume they find their own way home).
Maintenance costs should be higher to represent the entourage and support required for these élite troops.

The effects of this approach:

1) you get realistic armies without oodles of super knights
2) your ability to raise and keep knights realistically comes from a) the wealth of your lands; b) the reputation and abilities of your monarchy
3) you can't prosecute long, unprofitable wars without draining your manpower and wealth
4) the sooner you develop professional armies, the better
5) mercenaries (including displaced/disenfranchised nobles) will have their rightful place in the game, especially élite/experienced mercenaries in the late period after the peak of the era of knighthood

These changes would make it extremely hard for a young and/or incompetently spineless ruler to run a vast empire, as it should be. In my current game as England my king got assassinated in Jerusalem after a Crusade. The 26 year-old successor has very low Authority, no Dread, no Chivalry, yet the kingdom still holds together and the lords still come to fight for him by the thousand without asking even a penny more for their loyalty. Historically this wouldn't have been remotely feasible before the Parliamentarian reforms of the late period which saw more organised government and the first inklings of nationhood.

In order to advance realism, something must also be devised to represent the barons' desire to keep fighting wars that were profitable for them (even against the wishes of the king and the Church), or they should revolt when the king insists on continuing unprofitable wars.

So perhaps making peace with a sworn enemy (predetermined in the diplomacy AI) causes unrest in regions where your high level knights come from (like it did when England tried to make peace with France during the 100 Years' War). And continuing an unprofitable war (read "unpopular with the barons") should also increase unrest in regions where they come from (i.e. where you have "knight producing facilities"). This increases the chance of rebellion from the barons who want things their own way.

Right now there's a mod called Road to Jerusalem which tries to allow for fewer super armies out by making knights "spawn" at fairly long intervals and making them cost more to raise/maintain. You have to wait quite a while for the unit pool to be full in a fortress/citadel. It's a workaround for the issues of cranking out knight-filled armies, but you still have to "suspend disbelief" in order to digest it properly.

Perhaps the above suggestions are already being considered by this mod?

Tsar
01-23-2007, 04:02
You have some very good poin here!

Bleda
01-26-2007, 22:52
First off all, historically feudalism was only practiced in a small section of france during the middle-ages. In actuality, the medieval political system was messy and lacking any resemblance to feudalism. In most historical cases, there were no oaths of feality, and some knights were kept on the kings payroll year round. Don't try and emulate historical accuracy if you dont know anything about the history itself.

Darius
02-01-2007, 22:16
From my understanding the size of your empire plays a large factor in the amount of authority you have. This would mean large empires would essentially be able to field far more heavy cavalry and therein greatly overpower their smaller neighbors, which could create obvious players for the computer controlled kingdoms.

I think the best solution would be to have one or more of the following.

-Require the armoury necessary to fashion said armor for a unit before it can be created. This would have the side-effect of also likely helping diversify field armies. A less positive side-effect may be that the Computer may not understand this new requirement and throw hordes of unarmoured/lightly armoured units around.

-Decrease the recruitment cost of knights while greatly increasing their upkeep. This would reflect how these men have come fully trained and equipped and therefore need not be paid for it to be done, and are obligated to serve in some manner. However they will demand their share of the spoils, and their equipment and mounts must be tended to, and that costs a hefty sum.

-Spearmen and pikemen in their current state are near useless at stopping a cavalry charge. Increase the spear attribute bonus to allow them to inflict greater damage vs horsemen and/or increase their attack/defense bonuses. For pikemen you may wish to do a similiar alteration, but also remove their secondary weapon (Sword) as when they dont have it to fall back on, they continue to use their pikes the way they were meant to and actually hold their ground.

-For more elite cavalry units, make their numbers per unit lower, and/or increase the number of men per spear/pike unit.

SadCat
02-04-2007, 07:18
First off all, historically feudalism was only practiced in a small section of france during the middle-ages. In actuality, the medieval political system was messy and lacking any resemblance to feudalism. In most historical cases, there were no oaths of feality, and some knights were kept on the kings payroll year round. Don't try and emulate historical accuracy if you dont know anything about the history itself.

I am sorry but I must of read the wrong books. Yes I know real history is different from what is recorded for and reported to laymen. Do you have any on line books that better cover this time frame? Thanks SadCat

Russ Mitchell
02-12-2007, 05:49
SadCat, I wouldn't have been quite as aggressive in stating it as Bleda did, but he's correct. Google Janet Nelson, Susan Reynolds, and "feudalism."

NEVERTHELESS, you also have a very good idea. In Hungary (my research specialty), the Hungarian King in "early" and "high" exercises a level of authority that would make the throne of the Isle de France cry. Kingly authority is ABSOLUTE unless the throne is disputed. However, in case of succession issues or a King who's pushed his luck too far, the nobles WOULD refuse to bring their troops, as in at Mohi when the Hungarians fought the First Mongol Invasion, and many of the nobles wouldn't show up in time(pity for Europe, as we now know, with the publication of the Secret History, that the battle was much closer than we previously thought). Bela's authority was simply overwhelmingly shaky. Post-invasion, he can snap his fingers and generate armies so large that Jan Dlugosz writes that nobody dares to move when he's in the field.

Vladimir
02-15-2007, 02:51
Interesting details Russ. Is there a way to implement MrMerisi's ideas on a faction/"era" specific basis or does it have to apply to the whole game?