PDA

View Full Version : Forum

TosaInu
01-26-2007, 23:37
Hello,

-This forum needs a proper name.
-Perhaps a more accurate/adjusted description.

As this forum is supposed to be more of a learning center, two things are different from other forums.

-It has the WiKi function enabled, which means that people can edit each others posts. Note that it's not recommended to vandalise each others work.

I can understand about people not wanting to have (some of) their post edited at all and that's perfectly fine. We can tag such posts.

-The first post of each topic is displayed at the top of every page inside that topic.

Monarch
01-27-2007, 00:09
For a name, perhaps something like "The Library".

I'm not too good with medieval related stuff, I'm sure somebody else will have a better idea. But I thought I'd get the ball rolling.

:bow:

RTKBarrett
01-27-2007, 00:12
TW Boot Camp :book:

Monarch
01-27-2007, 00:19
^Personally I think we should keep in line with the rest of the mp section and keep it medieval themed :)

RTKBarrett
01-27-2007, 00:30
^Personally I think we should keep in line with the rest of the mp section and keep it medieval themed :)

BAH!!

TW Medieval Boot Camp :2thumbsup: hehe
Ok how about...
TW Sandhurst :laugh4:
TW Knowlege Fountain
Lessons In Total War
The Ranges
Medieval Academy...

Some ones to drag the bottom of the suggestion list there :smash:

Jochi Khan
01-27-2007, 00:32
Academy - A Guide to M2TW MP

This Title is related to learning. :yes:

Darkarbiter
01-27-2007, 02:49
The art of warfare in the middle ages by the org

Dionysus9
01-27-2007, 03:55
The Hall of Scrolls
The Ivory Tower
Alexandria
:egypt:

sapi
01-27-2007, 05:23
Academy

Stig
01-27-2007, 07:40
Academy for me

shall we poll it?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-27-2007, 08:47
Hmm, I would go for The University or The Collage, that is if I am really seeing this forum? Such a great idea Tosa!

pevergreen
01-27-2007, 10:34
The Routing Field, A section made for Elmo. :laugh4:

The Academy sounds more like a modding learn place to me. But it is also applicable to this.

I was thinking The Training Fields..the Tournament Fields related :laugh2:

Kenchi_Shaka
01-27-2007, 10:40
parade ground?
:duel:

ElmarkOFear
01-27-2007, 10:55
If you want to keep with the theme of the Early Middle Ages, most higher education was done in Monastaries.

If you want to keep with the them of the High to Late Middle Ages, then most scholarly work was found in Universities.

"The University: Advanced studies for multiplayer success."

We could title each topic as if it was part of an overall curriculum:

1. Freshman MP 101: MP Ettiquette: A guide to smooth your entry into the M2TW MP community.
2. Freshman MP 102: Setting up your account with GameSpy: It sucks, but its all we got.
3. Freshman MP 103: Joining and Hosting MP games: An in depth look at how to join/host MP games and an explanation of optimal settings and options.
4. Freshman MP 104: Custom Battles: How to practice offline.
5. Sophmore MP 201: Know Your Clans: What to look for when deciding whether to join a clan or remain independent.
6. Sophmore MP 202: Forum Ettiquette: Avoiding the pitfalls of active forum participation.
7. Sophmore MP 203: Unit Selection: A discussion of units and their uses.
8. Sophmore MP 204: Faction Selection: A discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of each faction.
9. Junior MP 301: Deployment and Army Movement: A discussion of pre-battle planning and controlling your army.
10. Junior MP 302: Unit Special Abilities: A study of how/when to use special abilities.
11. Junior MP 303: Unit Formations and Commands: Study of optimal unit formation, optimal unit depth and the use of the Guard, Run, Skirmish and Loose formation commands.
12. Junior MP 304: Preparing for Team Play: A look at your role in larger MP games.
13. Senior MP 401: Advanced Team Tactics: Replays, screenshots and other Team related information.
14. Senior MP 402: Know Your Maps: A discussion of individual Maps, their terrain and possible team strategies and tactics for each.
15. Senior MP 403: Know your enemy: A discussion on the importance of knowing your enemy. His favorite tactics, factions, units and strengths/weaknesses and how to use them against him.
16. Senior MP 404: Secondary Factors: An in depth look at fatigue, morale, unit speed, experience, armor types, weapon types and other minutia which can help your success on the battlefield.

Or something similar to the above. I am not very good at categorizing so I am sure you guys can come up with some outline much better than this.
This is just a start of the discussion. :)

We could also set up a contact person or "professor" for each topic, so if someone has any questions, concerns they can contact this person for more information and guidance. Like I would be willing to be a "professor" of the Online and Forum Ettiquette classes.

ElmarkOFear
01-27-2007, 13:41
Or you could use this section as a jumping board for each discussion, which is located elsewhere.

I could state: Here is a link to my thread at the ugli.org forums for Freshman MP 101: Online Ettiquette

This way this section doesn't become too cluttered with out of order posts and continuing discussions of several topics in one thread.

Jochi Khan
01-27-2007, 16:46
-It has the WiKi function enabled, which means that people can edit each others posts. Note that it's not recommended to vandalise each others work.

I can understand about people not wanting to have (some of) their post edited at all and that's perfectly fine. We can tag such posts.

I would be very much against anyone other than a Moderator or Administrator having the permissions set to allow them to edit another members post/posts.
This, in view of the nature/reactions of some members would be asking for trouble.
Just adding to or subtracting some of the content could totally change the meaning of the content of a post.

Caius
01-27-2007, 21:12
Battlefield Training?

Cheetah
01-27-2007, 22:13
I would prefer the Wiki to be disabled. I don't see the point of that function here.

ElmarkOFear
01-27-2007, 23:19
Pevergreen:

A Routing Field: A beginners guide to popular mistakes made by new players and Elmo: The professional Noob. :) I kinda like that!

pike master
01-29-2007, 03:35
yes i would like to know how to do a successful rout and flee the field without my opponent capturing any of my men.

ElmarkOFear
01-29-2007, 06:56
My guys love me, since they normally all survive the battle. They run behind me singing the old Monty Python & The Search For The Holy Grail Brave Sir Robin Hood song:

"Brave Sir Elmo ran away.
Bravely ran away, away.
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Elmo turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Elmo!"

:laugh4:

pike master
01-29-2007, 18:15
he who laughs and runs away will live to fight another day.

will this forum also include a lot of historical accuracy discussions or will that be reserved for A forum only.

TosaInu
01-31-2007, 12:02
WiKi disabled.

pevergreen
02-01-2007, 12:20
I have to say I agree with that motion Tosa

Any update on what this forum (and the other two) may be called?

Rob The Bastard
02-04-2007, 04:26
With no more suggestions coming in I thinks we can close this thread down and create a poll with the choices that have been put forward.