PDA

View Full Version : The Staked Longbow Army of Doom

Stig
01-27-2007, 14:02
Also know as The Elmohead Missile Army of Doom.
It has been used succesfully more then once, and it is hard to break. It's designed to counter armies that are Cavalry heavy ... ie. if you play no rules 1v1 and your opponent is Timurids, Mongols, Russia or Poland expect him to have loads of cav.

Now this army can easely be perfected to your own choice, one likes to take some cav with it, the other wants some good infantry units, but the main part of it is this:
Spam Longbowmen (ie. Longbowmen, Yeamen Archers and Retinue Longbowmen)

Place your Longbowmen in a circle on the battlefield and deploy stakes, make sure the stakes are adjected to eachother, leave no gaps.

Here's a replay of the succesfull use of an army of this kind (http://www.filefactory.com/file/6cbba7/)

However note some things:
1. This army won't work in games that have rules. If your opponent has a normal amount of Infantry units he can easely walk through the stakes and attack you, you who have a penalty for units placed so closely on eachother.
2. This army won't work if your opponents has Musketeers, they will kill loads of men per volley, which isn't worth it.

In other words, only use it if you're sure that your opponent has loads of Cavalry.
Or use it in teamgames, but do consult your allies first, they might not like it when they have to take the deads while you get the kills ... and they will have to line up at your side.

ElmarkOFear
01-27-2007, 23:22
One of my fun armies, though it's not very practical in real games. :) It's just fun to use and can hold its own if your teammates know how to support you. hehe

Stig
01-27-2007, 23:26
Aye, I'm working on an Aztec rush army now, still have to test it tho ... won't be very practical I think

Monarch
01-27-2007, 23:46
If its a team game your allies just gunna get wtfbbq double teamed :P

(didnt download replay, but I assume its just like a RTW phalanx bow of old with stakes not phalanx, correct?)

Stig
01-27-2007, 23:49
Something like that.
But it works far better (as the stakes can't rout and be killed) ... if you do download it you'll see Flim getting desperate and driving 3 units of Knights into the stakes ~D

Besides you'll see that my team won ... as I told Starcy and Guy what I was going to do, Starcy formed at my side and Guy on an enormous hill on the other side. If I would be in the middle it might have gone better as it did.

Monarch
01-28-2007, 00:09
Something like that. you'll see Flim getting desperate and driving 3 units of Knights into the stakes ~D

lol, if there was only archers inside the steaks he could of walked the knights through, they don't die that way :beam:

Stig
01-28-2007, 00:12
Well inside the stakes I deployed 10 groups of longbowmen and 2 units of supporting units to storm out.
And I placed 3 Spearmen units outside it to support my army ... but they got slaughtered by the cav that later ran into my stakes.

guyfawkes5
01-28-2007, 00:56
It's just fun to use and can hold its own if your teammates know how to support you. hehe
Indeed, without support that alamo Stigglet built up would have been overrun with infantry pretty quickly. Plus, as mentioned above, the enemy could just simply bypass you.

-Silent-Pariya
01-28-2007, 07:36
Roflmao... Elite tried using a stakebox in the second game of our ccs match after they got rolled the first time... desperate i guess... vs the stakebox tho it was an heroic victory

morale of the story is steak boxes suck and is popular with noobies cus they can beat other noobies with it:laugh4:

Stig
01-28-2007, 10:59
lol, no they are pretty good ... you just have to hope that your opponent has Cav only, if he hasn't you're for it

-Silent-Pariya
01-28-2007, 12:05
I played the first game... the second game i had to leave for work but i watched the replay. SA took lots of cav that game... utterly pwnt the noob stakebox. Myself in none tournament matches have beaten stakeboxes atleast 6 or so times and have never lost to a stakebox...and i always go somewhat heavy in cav usually.

Stig
01-28-2007, 12:35
Wondering, how do you get your cav through the stakes, they will be killed the moment they hit them.

RTKBarrett
01-28-2007, 14:42
Wondering, how do you get your cav through the stakes, they will be killed the moment they hit them.

Cav can walk through them, just not run...

ElmarkOFear
01-28-2007, 14:51
Our dear Pariya has always been a big talker, but he rarely can prove what he states in an online game. He still hasn't taken me up on my High era, low-florin, all Cav vs. my all peasant army. Hot air rises, so I guess its the best way to the top for him. :laugh4: Also, he doesn't actually read and/or understand most posts. He joined the Silent Assassins, who have some very good players, so he could ride their coattails to stardom.

We stated the Stake Circle of Doom, wouldn't work in normal team games, due to its immovability and weakness to foot units, though THAT doesn't make it any less fun to play (unless someone is STILL afraid of losing and won't try anything actually a bit more challenging). hehe You can't even get some to try Late/All era games, because they are afraid of the imbalances. Worse yet, you can't get some to play any other map besides Grassy Plains. :laugh4: They are lost if they see a few hills or trees on the map.

Seems we have all these peeps saying they can beat things easily, but I haven't seen a replay yet to support it. Must be veteran noobs, who have to rely on the same units, the same maps, the same florin levels, the same teammates, and the same "exploits". ~:cheers:

I must admit though, the old STW/MTW MP community did have something over the current: There were many players and clans, who weren't afraid to experiment and take the underused factions/units and try them out. At least until the the last patch, which pretty much was similar to the situation we have currently. All you began to see were the same cav/crossbow/sword armies, over and over again. If you really want to know, THAT more than anything was why people, who didn't play RTW, also didn't return to MTW1.

Since, as stated before, mods are very difficult to get the MP community to use in large numbers, the Samurai Wars mod wasn't able to preserve the MTW1 MP community. Plus, by the time it was completed, most had already left and were playing RTW or gave up on the series. If the original MTW1 had been officially patched to the Samurai Wars standards of balance, I am sure there would still be a very large number of players playing it every day. Maybe not the Samurai Wars mod, for the reasons stated earlier about mods, but vanilla MTW.

It was a great effort Puzz and gang. I wish it was possible to mod the current engine to reflect such balance issues, then we could attract some of you old farts back to the current community.

pike master
01-28-2007, 16:57
actually i think early and high era only are noob eras because noone wants to use any novel tactics. they just want to use the old vi traditional tactics.

there are plenty of ways to dope muskets and cavalry and good missile armies who dont use muskets so i fail to understand what imbalance means. ive beaten musket, horse archer armies, and cav armies without any thing close to the amount of firepower and shock they had. it just takes a little eccentric thinking.

the vi days are over. its time to embrace the new mtw2 and learn new tactics. and find a way to either use random maps or certian variable relief maps that are considered balanced in addition to grassy plains which is always going to favor highly mobile missile strong armies.

not too downplay the fun ive had in vi im just stating you have to embrace new tactics from a different game engine.

UglyStrike
01-28-2007, 18:15
I have been setting some games up with 5K instead of 10K. The results have been very interesting. Ranging from the players reaction to it to the actual battlefield dynamitics.

First most players reaction has ranged from grudging acceptance to outright refusal to play anything that is not 10K. A couple have even be somewhat angry about the whole thing. I believe this just supports the comments made by Elmo in a previous post.

I have actually found the 5k armies rather entertaining. Especially when paired with a wooded or hilly map. I have found that you have to use alot more thought instead of just clicking. ((YOU have limited number of "good" units and thus you try to save them for just the right situation)) Teamwork is vastly more important, than in 10k games.

The reaction of most players after the game was positive. Common reply was "kinda weird but fun".

UglyStrike
01-28-2007, 18:23
How interesting about the STake boxes. From my experience dealing with Cav is not that bad once you deal with the ridiculous charge bonus Cav gets. Thus if Cav has to "walk" thru the stake box, and there is a unit or two of good infantry to meet them while they are in the stakes. Sounds like interesting times for those sitting on the horses?

Just my uninformed opinion.

-Silent-Pariya
01-28-2007, 18:51
Elmark... maby you should play the game... or talk to those who have. You say you want replays??? I'm not wasting my time on you bro... you wanna see how us pro's beat the stakebox head over to the ccs forums and look for our round 1 replays.... or ask Elite for them. And its kind of hard to ride SA's coattails all this time when 2 of the last like 3 years i've been in SA i was leading it. What have you ever won besides my disrespect elmark?

Stupid responses get stupid responses in return. Am i supposed to fear this mighty Elmark who sits behind his computer and lingers around trying to look big by exagerating his accomplishments in MTW1 and STW. I was there for both games, your not so good:laugh4: Come round MTW2 sumtime and i'd be happy to show u round bud:laugh4: My town now:yes:

Ask barret:laugh4:

ElmarkOFear
01-28-2007, 18:51
Yup, I always keep a nice cav and/or foot unit killer, within the circle or near enough to stop any attempt to get in. Normally, with concentrated arrow fire an approaching unit or two will route easily. The most effective way of taking out a circle is to hit it with many foot units at once. The best way is to ignore it, if you can and take it out last.

Though there are strategies being developed to solve that little problem too. hehe :)

Stig
01-28-2007, 20:18
Pariya, Elmo actually plays MTW2, and he introduced this formation.

I've heard of 3 people using it, Elmo obviously, T1 blitzed BearBottom using it, and I won with it. I can prove it with replays, you can't. You say you've already fought it 6 times, I haven't even seen it that often, playing that long isn't good for you. So who's the n00b now :laugh4:

@Barrett, if the cav walks through the stakes they can't charge, that means they don't do massive damage. And Longbowmen are damned fine in melee fighting ... cav isn't ... so that won't work.

-Silent-Pariya
01-28-2007, 20:39
Yes stig you are so elite:thumbsdown:

Stig
01-28-2007, 20:42
Yes stig you are so elite:thumbsdown:
lol no, Elmo says he loses all games, but I even lose to Elmo ~D

Denali
01-28-2007, 23:02
Off-topic but.... Stig my respect for staying calm :egypt: .... and no im not trying to be ironic

ElmarkOFear
01-29-2007, 01:16
I remember when Pariya was still in his TW diapers. It appears he has now graduated to a binky and considers himself a grown up. Those who brag without cause, and who treat new players in the manner young Pariya does, deserve our pity. Please bear with him as he slowly grows into maturity, and possibly in a few years, he may actually contribute something to the community instead of perusing the forums looking for a victim of his amateurish trolling. :laugh4:

I don't believe I have ever bragged about winning, or about any other aspect of my time playing TW, but if you can show some proof of such claims, I would be glad to acknowledge my arrogance. I really hate to see you embarrassing yourself by making wild accusations, in a desperate attempt to have someone acknowledge your skill. You don't earn respect by winning. You earn it by offering something to the community other than baseless accusations and endless bragging.

t1master
01-29-2007, 01:30
falchia pariya and his roving band of minstrels, i remember it like it was yesterday.... :balloon2:

the staked army provides several different options, even in a team game. you can harass and it's easy to get folks to chase you. whoever takes it has to be ready to leave the comfort of the stakes and support in a hurry on a flank, if the enemy coordinates a double away from the missles...

pike master
01-29-2007, 03:32
keep the trigger down elmo im holdin the ammo belt for ya

ElmarkOFear
01-29-2007, 06:59
Got any more o them flamin arrows? hehe :charge:

Callahan9119
01-29-2007, 13:29
while you are greedily chasing elmo's routing units, his ally swoops in for the kill! :charge:

RTKBarrett
01-29-2007, 16:43
Pariya, Elmo actually plays MTW2, and he introduced this formation.

I've heard of 3 people using it, Elmo obviously, T1 blitzed BearBottom using it, and I won with it. I can prove it with replays, you can't. You say you've already fought it 6 times, I haven't even seen it that often, playing that long isn't good for you. So who's the n00b now :laugh4:

@Barrett, if the cav walks through the stakes they can't charge, that means they don't do massive damage. And Longbowmen are damned fine in melee fighting ... cav isn't ... so that won't work.

Possible to some degree but what is it that u are doing when u are engaging the archers in melee? Thats right... u are preventing them from actually firing anymore missles which is what the unit is primarily designed for, so the player in question using the stake box would at some point during the game have to rely on his longbowmens ability to fight hand to hand, something i personally couldnt trust :yes:
Even with all the cav spam that is going around, ppl still bring infantry to some degree whether it be cheap spears or swrdsmen...

t1master
01-29-2007, 17:17
the yeoman archers in the english army hold their own in melee. i'm not too sure of the standard longbows. but they're good to absorb a charge, melt back and let the yeo's move in...

plus you'd want to be shooting the approaching infantry to whittle them down before impact.

it's not a perfect set up, nor is it even standard, but that's what the elmohead armys are all about, breaking from the convention and having fun, maybe even getting a win... shhhhhhh about the win ;)

Stig
01-29-2007, 17:32
i'm not too sure of the standard longbows.
Slaughtered 2 groups of Dismounted Chivalric Knights with it ~D

7Bear7Bottom
01-29-2007, 18:32
I have used the stake army successfully myself, but I find it works best in a 2 vrs 2. Our variation is a bit different, as we use the stakes like an extra wall of inf. on your flanks.

Something like this.

Front

Stakes MY Army Allied Army Stakes
\\\\\\\+======|========+///////
\\\\\\\+======|========+///////Right Flank

Rear

With this set up, you force any cav attack from front or rear. There was a few times my own cav got caught, hee hee so be carefull.:laugh4:

Stig
01-29-2007, 18:49
Sound like a good one yes, might even work better like that if you only bring 8 Longbowmen, and normal cav as a support

Paolai
01-29-2007, 18:56
All cavs + 1 art.

Stig
01-29-2007, 19:06
All cavs + 1 art.
yeah what are you going to do with that, it's designed to take out cav, and the rules for normal games are No Art/Ele

Stig
01-29-2007, 19:26
Answering this from the other thread

already answered also on the other topic. All cavs + 1 art if you like the circle. And, cavs that do not run do not die. YOu just have not to charge, click behind the units and walk (do not run). Try by yourself.

But all cavs + 1 art it is easier.
No it won't work, Longbowmen pwn in melee combat, if you think it does work, how about giving me a replay of it?

-Silent-Pariya
01-29-2007, 21:03
You guys an uber elite all-stars... how can i be more like you

:idea2:

takes england
makes pike box
gets owned

Now im just like you:yes: :dizzy2:

:laugh4:

Monarch
01-29-2007, 21:17

Heh he could walk them through, then double click like 50 metres ahead and theyl run, with charge bonus, through the archers, theyl come out other side due to stakes only pointing one way, repeat until done :inquisitive:

ElmarkOFear
01-29-2007, 21:37
Yup. You almost have to keep a spear or pike unit or two to keep cav from walking into the circle and then charging out the other side. Even the lowly little peasant unit can keep them busy long enough to shoot the heck out of the cav unit, and possibly rout them before they can enter the circle. It's best to make sure you have a partner or two close by to help out with the charges on your circle.

Paolai
01-29-2007, 21:41
Answering this from the other thread

No it won't work, Longbowmen pwn in melee combat, if you think it does work, how about giving me a replay of it?

Do you think LB win H2H vs a cav? Do you really tested it?

http://img1.freeforumzone.it/allegati1/45154_3692_41299_1161902.zip

I did not charged this LB, I just walked till the contact then clicked on the LB. Guess what happened?

No, LB loose vs cavs in melee, vs all cavs. I am sorry. Are we playing with the same game?

Paolai
01-29-2007, 21:47
yeah what are you going to do with that, it's designed to take out cav, and the rules for normal games are No Art/Ele

Correct me if I am wrong Stig, but you wrote "In a game with no rules" isnt it?

However note some things:
1. This army won't work in games that have rules

t1master
01-29-2007, 21:48
line the stakes with the welsh spears, they're cheap and can hold for a bit, and they get the shirtless bonus ;)

Stig
01-29-2007, 21:51
Heh he could walk them through, then double click like 50 metres ahead and theyl run, with charge bonus, through the archers, theyl come out other side due to stakes only pointing one way, repeat until done
Nope won't work, the Archers are right behind the stakes, they would already be engaged when Barrett is going to click his run button.

Correct me if I am wrong Stig, but you wrote "In a game with no rules" isnt it?
You know what I mean ... there are games with rules like:
max 4 archers

Are we playing with the same game?
Well when are you on?

ElmarkOFear
01-29-2007, 21:51
I just LOVE the shirtless bonus! :)

Paolai
01-29-2007, 21:56
You know what I mean ... there are games with rules like:
max 4 archers
Well when are you on?

No I never played with a 4 max archers. Archers do nothing, why I would like to give a limit to my opponent if he wants to have many.

Tomorrow evening if you want we can play some tests together.

-Silent-Pariya
01-29-2007, 21:56
guys look

if ur in a stake box u have to cramp all ur units togethor real tight and cant even have ur archers on loose..... even an opponent with half as many archers as u wud still win the archer war...not to mention missed fire will kill alot of ur other units as well cus there all so close... if u send a cav unit out of ur box to attack enemy archers it will get pwnt cus it wud have to walk back in thru the stakes... this means the enemy can do whatever he wants and go wherever he wants outside ur box... he has unlimited mobility.... the steakbox is nothing but a box of death and those who use it get pwnt and humiliated

Stig
01-29-2007, 21:58
Tomorrow evening if you want we can play some tests together.
lol he chooses one of those nights I'm never on

even an opponent with half as many archers as u wud still win the archer war
That's what we said, it's not a competitive army, it's fun to use, annoying for the opponent, and will only work vs cav

pike master
01-30-2007, 06:22
you could almost do the same thing by using flemish pikes if the horse bypass bug wasnt there. form an infantry square with peasants on the corners to stop those bugged wedge charges . but as i said they would just have to tell their horses to attack the archers and they would just roll off of the pikes.

one thing that would be interesting is if they allowed spread formation with phalanx like i could get to work in rome with pikes and hoplites. it would aid enmeshing missile troops within their formations.

Storm_Of_Shields
01-30-2007, 10:58
guys look

if ur in a stake box u have to cramp all ur units togethor real tight and cant even have ur archers on loose..... even an opponent with half as many archers as u wud still win the archer war...not to mention missed fire will kill alot of ur other units as well cus there all so close... if u send a cav unit out of ur box to attack enemy archers it will get pwnt cus it wud have to walk back in thru the stakes... this means the enemy can do whatever he wants and go wherever he wants outside ur box... he has unlimited mobility.... the steakbox is nothing but a box of death and those who use it get pwnt and humiliated

The other night with Gawain we ran into a stake box, it was virtually impenitrable no way to get through it. Why you ask? this box had one taking english and he took nothing but Yeoman archer and Longbow, will the one on left took flemish pikes and dismounted french nobles and on the right a bunch of hgihland archers and pikes.

what they did was the staked the box no entrance whatsoever from the front sides or back and then they put the pikes right behind the stakes and with 20 units of long rang archers behind them, you would be shot to death by the time you got there, and then you would be mangled to death by the pikes.

The only possible way to defeat this would be if you knew it was coming. Anyway me and gaw and our ally well we pretty much said screw it, charged to our death and just :no:

-Silent-Someguy
01-30-2007, 11:37
Elmo obviously, T1 blitzed BearBottom using it, and I won with it

Because blitzing bear bottom is so TERRIBLY HARD. lol. He has to be among one of the WORST clanned players in this game i'm afraid, and this news just proves it.

The fact is stake boxes only work against {censored}, most of you guys ARE {censored} so it will work fine against other {censored}. However against anyone who isnt an {censored}, you will get crushed. I played in the CCS vs Elite and they tried a stake box in game two, it was a heroic victory, and they are good players, the tactic is just terrible it is a simple as that. Even if I took all cav, I guarantee I could roll you right off the map. Longbows CAN NOT FIGHT in melee, not even the yeoman, they will all get decimated by cav, even when it is forced to walk through and pretty much any inf in the game. And, providing you are playing a reasonable amount of florins, 6-10 of them which you will require for your box costs ALOT of money. Leaving you with what? Some Hobilars and Levy spearmen to make up the rest of your army?

It {censored} so bad for a few reasons... One as I said before was that longbows which make up half your army cant fight for shit in melee, and two because you will usually have gaps in the corners (the only way to avoid gaps is to take even more longbowman, and that means you are even more likely to lose). Even if you walk the cav through the stakes without running them, they will own the longbows in melee without even a charge, and its easy to squeeze cav through the gaps in the corners as well. Not to mention the fact that if they have inf it will be most likely better than yours because england has terrible inf and you spent all your money on a stupid box.

I've tried it, we did in house clan 3v3's and I tried it many times in many different ways and every time against competant players it {censored}. Also when the game was first out I championed Late/All era games, especially All period as being more fun and having more variety, so dont try and slap me with the "Omg you are so un-imaginative" tag.

Edited by TosaInu

Stig
01-30-2007, 11:43
Because blitzing bear bottom is so TERRIBLY HARD. lol. He has to be among one of the WORST clanned players in this game i'm afraid. And Im sure the others who lost to it where just as noob.
Well I can't help that the only good players come from the -Silent- clan ... how about sharing some of your uber-wisdom with us so we will feel less mortal too.

BTW when are you on? You can try to beat my stakebox using all cav after Pariya had a go ~D

-Silent-Pariya
01-30-2007, 12:53
Uh....right....cus i played u before:thumbsdown:

Everytime you even mention the word stakebox in any challenging or competative way your just embarassing urself.

Storm_Of_Shields
01-30-2007, 13:05
Well I can't help that the only good players come from the -Silent- clan ... how about sharing some of your uber-wisdom with us so we will feel less mortal too.

Oh yea that goes without saying doesnt it? lol

Because blitzing bear bottom is so TERRIBLY HARD. lol. He has to be among one of the WORST clanned players in this game i'm afraid, and this news just proves it. And Im sure the others who lost to it where just as noob.

A Silent attacking bottom surprise surprise. Lets see SA hates Bottom and Vice Verse sooooo in essence Silent think bottom is terrible, though i would go so far to say you are in the minority.

Everytime you even mention the word stakebox in any challenging or competative way your just embarassing urself.

Stakebox *Clap Clap* Stakebox *Clap Clap*

Also Pariya i would feel your comment is in the minority.

Stig
01-30-2007, 13:10
Also Pariya i would feel your comment is in the minority.
No it isn't as those -Silent- guys count as 10 ~D

seriously tho, if you guys hate other clans and think you're so good why not start a clanwar on your own forum, this is getting annoying

ElmarkOFear
01-30-2007, 15:51
I'm trying to get 3 other players to try a variation of this army. I guarantee you have never seen this in a 4v4. Now I have to convince 3 others to lose with me! :laugh4:

7Bear7Bottom
01-30-2007, 17:27
I'm trying to get 3 other players to try a variation of this army. I guarantee you have never seen this in a 4v4. Now I have to convince 3 others to lose with me!

Raises hand.:laugh4:

Stig
01-30-2007, 17:39
oh pick me pick me

RTKBarrett
01-30-2007, 18:22
SA "changing their ways" did give me a gd giggle for how much its worth xD

Callahan9119
01-30-2007, 18:31
i remember bears from old days, good people :shakehands:

i hate to get in this mix but silent has a guy ,who i wont name guilded. i was a maji for like 3 days in rtw and i didnt like his attitude so i left, he drew (private parts) on my avatar pic and did bad things to my sig on guild boards and said all kinds of nasty things about me in lobby :thumbsdown:

it took me pwning his face like 3 times to just get him to stop, this was after i had played rtw a week, against a "good" player :inquisitive:

:listen: people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones

i now go back to having no part in this feud :creep:

-Silent-Pariya
01-30-2007, 18:48
We have a thread in SA forums loughing at you {censored}... half of SA is saying don't help them out and let the {censored} think stakeboxes are good tactics...{censored} im hoping yall think its good enuff that u'll take it in a tourny against us like Elite did..... and get rolled...like Elite did.

You guys are so l33t:yes:

:thumbsdown:

Edited by TosaInu

Callahan9119
01-30-2007, 18:54
hmm i think your missing the point of the army, its more about a quirky fun novelty...which like anything can work sometimes

i'm suprised mods let u guys come here and start drama, the org is usually so peaceful ~:grouphug:

:focus:

Fenix7
01-30-2007, 19:20
I'm not saying this could not work but I prefer mobility.

-Silent-Pariya
01-30-2007, 19:24
Aoner... admit it. You think there noobs as well.:laugh4:

Storm_Of_Shields
01-30-2007, 19:47
We have a thread in SA forums loughing at you morons... half of SA is saying don't help them out and let the noobs think stakeboxes are good tactics...shit im hoping yall think its good enuff that u'll take it in a tourny against us like Elite did..... and get rolled...like Elite did.

You guys are so l33t:yes:

:thumbsdown:

Congratulations on that successful and informative post of letting us know that at SA forum, which i doubt many here visit, that there is a post about all of us being noobs and being an inferior group of players who like to have fun instead of devoting our time to perfecting ways on how to call people noobs and do nothing but play for skill. Skill is an added bonus if you can play with skill all the more to you :juggle2:

-Silent-Pariya
01-30-2007, 20:03
And to you shields... what a nice way of saying you like to have mountain maps and no rules in your tournies. CWC is really going places as of late:dizzy2:

:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

`-Silent-FireBlade
01-30-2007, 20:05
Well I can't help that the only good players come from the -Silent- clan

That is the only sense uve spoken in this thread dude :juggle2:

But u guys arent seriouse about the stake box tactic are ya? I can only assume its somethin u would do for fun, not 2 try and beat a half competant player, cause if it is, then its back 2 the drawin board folks :2thumbsup:

Fenix7
01-30-2007, 20:10
Aoner... admit it. You think there noobs as well.

Atm I see only one noob.

This topic is about ''The Staked Longbow Army of Doom'' and people having good time. I don't see anyone interested in trashing.

ElmarkOFear
01-30-2007, 20:15
This tactic will now and forever be referred to as the "Noob Box". :laugh4:

Yellow Melon says so! https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=78597 Just change "Pikes" to "Pikes & Stakes".

:2thumbsup:

Plus it's much shorter to type in and just "sounds" more fun. :yes:

I'm gonna work on the Noob Triangle next. Aonar, Shields and Stig: You guys get to play victim with me. :)

Callahan9119
01-30-2007, 20:30
hmm people from a guild i havnt ever heard of before i went online m2tw a week ago and fireblade (see post 59) calling old school classy players like bears and others newbs :stop:

where are the usually zealot mods to put the kibosh on this :captain:

why i come here and not tw.com forums :wall:

not many good threads in the mp forum, dont need a one hijacked :inquisitive:

oh and i tried this today, but i ended up having to move my position due to the far right guy not moving (i was on left, prolly not the best position to attempt this) so it was to no avail, but i had fun making the sky black with arrows... maybe next time

dang those longbows are expensive ~:doh:

pike master
01-30-2007, 20:39
save it for the ring bubs, save for the ring.

ElmarkOFear
01-30-2007, 20:41
Subutai: Use fire arrows. It looks like a fireworks display! hehe

-Silent-Pariya
01-30-2007, 20:42
Ye you do it for fun but you talk like its a valiable and workable tactic. Alot of new players visit here... your essencialy dumbing down the population.:dizzy2: This sections got like 6 threads and half of them about noob stake boxes.:dizzy2:

`-Silent-FireBlade
01-30-2007, 20:46
hmm people from a guild i havnt ever heard of before i went online m2tw a week ago and fireblade (see post 59) calling old school classy players like bears and others newbs :stop:

where are the usually zealot mods to put the kibosh on this :captain:

why i come here and not tw.com forums :wall:

not many good threads in the mp forum, dont need a one hijacked :inquisitive:

oh and i tried this today, but i ended up having to move my position due to the far right guy not moving (i was on left, prolly not the best position to attempt this) so it was to no avail, but i had fun making the sky black with arrows... maybe next time

dang those longbows are expensive ~:doh:

Yer chill out buddy...u'll bust a vien.

Its only my opinion that i really dont rate bears as gd playas, im sure he feels the same about me

Stake Box For The Win WOOOT :egypt:

Callahan9119
01-30-2007, 20:59
i was going to elmo, but it was a 3 vs 3 and i didnt want to explode the game with like 10 units of archers making clouds of fire :fainting:

i also doubt, as some said any newb is gonna come here and make it his mission to make the stake army work, after he gets pwned he will go back to aping whatever he saw someone else do that worked, its just for fun, i remember the mighty amp beating me down like a chump with his lines of byz inf and like 8 naptha, if your good you can make anything work :idea2:

Fenix7
01-30-2007, 21:25
Aonar, Shields and Stig: You guys get to play victim with me.:)

Time might be a little bit of a problem. +1 GMT here and you are east cost. Sent me pm or email me.

i remember the mighty amp beating me down like a chump with his lines of byz inf and like 8 naptha, if your good you can make anything work
:sweatdrop:
Does he still log to MTW 2 lobby or he is waiting for 2nd patch?

ElmarkOFear
01-30-2007, 22:49
Did you ever run into MasterPolar who then became UglyPolar? He was the guy who patented the cav swipe and started a whole big mess! hehe He had a Byz/Naptha army and it was almost impossible to get to his Naptha before they routed your army. I never could get the nag of naptha. Ended up killing more of my men than the enemy! :laugh4:

Aonar: I haven't seen AMP around since the first week after I bought the game. He was still the same ole Amp though. Kept his army together and lost maybe one unit's worth of men. :) The problem is once he figures out the mechanics he rarely loses and gets bored with the game. I've never had the problem. :)

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
01-30-2007, 23:13
I wish I've never read this whole topic. It got everything I don't want to find in a MP environement.
Lack of teamplay consideration. Lack of respect for opponent. The whole second page made me dumber. And that's an achievement.

Louis,

Zeph
01-30-2007, 23:17
SA "changing their ways" did give me a gd giggle for how much its worth xD
Tbh barret, all i've seen you do on multiple forums is whine about us. So have you got a grudge or something? Spit it out son.

Edit: Tbh i really don't know why the rest of my clan mates think its good to tell you that the box is shit, i was all for letting you talk about it and hell use it against us all you wish, if you will play us that is. But it is funny how alot of you suddenly come out with old storys about an SA you won't name or some such shit. The fact that none of you can argue about the finer points of the tactics, but just say blah blah blah your all such bastards leave us to our fun shows you how stupid you are. Meh i can't even be bothered, have fun with your we've been playing for so long we're awesome threads. Laters.

RTKBarrett
01-31-2007, 00:11
Tbh barret, all i've seen you do on multiple forums is whine about us. So have you got a grudge or something? Spit it out son.

Edit: Tbh i really don't know why the rest of my clan mates think its good to tell you that the box is shit, i was all for letting you talk about it and hell use it against us all you wish, if you will play us that is. But it is funny how alot of you suddenly come out with old storys about an SA you won't name or some such shit. The fact that none of you can argue about the finer points of the tactics, but just say blah blah blah your all such bastards leave us to our fun shows you how stupid you are. Meh i can't even be bothered, have fun with your we've been playing for so long we're awesome threads. Laters.

Im not whining about sa in general zeph, im just pointing out the fact that if u guys wanted to change your image *something which i admired about demok a lot and hoped he would help push forward* then this is not the way to do it... Its a shame that u are struggling to carry it through :inquisitive:
I like many of the sa, the ones that i dnt i either dnt know well enough or it is purely because of reasoning that i cannot explain ie. they are the ones with an issue *if there is one* not me :juggle2: The tw world does not revolve around sa.
The reason why a serious multiplayer forum is disregarded in places like the .org is because of things like what u guys have been doing, flaming. Its a shame really because u know for example that i do not see things as stake boxes as "valid tactics" yet i dont boohoo ppl for using it, if they enjoy using such things then i have no reason to bash them and say "u stupid n00b". Instead id rather put forward my point of view and leave it at that. I actually enjoy reading what makes stigs and elmos games all the more fun lol.
Mayb if u just respected their decisions a lil more in how they wanted to play the game we could all be in a happier state of mind and ppl like louis will not be dissapointed when reading threads in the mp forum :beam:

Stig
01-31-2007, 00:29
Just asking, who won the awards for best clan and best player in the HoF last years? ~D
RTK, Barrett wasn't it, I don't see anything starting with SA

RTKBarrett
01-31-2007, 00:31
Itd be best to put this topic back on track Stig as u will only initiate an immediate response from several ppl... We dnt want the second half of this topic to set the tone for whatever else is posted in these forums in the future :-)

Stig
01-31-2007, 00:35
Aye I tried something new btw:

Make that circle then put the Archers in the stakes (ie. move all of them a bit forward), work wonderfully well (any attacker get's staked as they will always charge)

pike master
01-31-2007, 01:15
we must remember why elmo suggested these forums to begin with was to introduce new players who dont really care too much about competition and just want some fun strategies that actually can take down experienced players at times.

theres nothing wrong about giving novice players a little help to get started in the game so they can be a challenge when you play them. i enjoy playing anyone for fun and the less rules the more fun. a lot of people just want to have some fun playing against other people. they dont see it the way long time clan players see it.

and if you arent freindly to novice players and help them out in a few years mtw2 game lobby will look like mtw/vi does now and how it looked for a while before.

-Silent-Pariya
01-31-2007, 01:35
:operator:

Chaos Cornelius lucius
01-31-2007, 01:47
And there lies the whole philosophy of why I have no time for some members of SA.
Luc

7Bear7Bottom
01-31-2007, 01:54
No we don't have to fit in with you, we just put you on ignore. Simple.

If you don't need the community and don't even care about what everyone says or thinks, why are you even posting here then? It doesn''t even make a single bit of sence.

Think your a bit confused Pariya.:dizzy2:

-Silent-Pariya
01-31-2007, 02:01
If you want me to leave, stop talking about me. I'm not that popular am i?:laugh4:

P.S. SA and 7bear7 shud play some more games.... give you a chance to loose with a clear instead of the usual heroic:laugh4:

7Bear7Bottom
01-31-2007, 02:27
*Yawn*

|Heerbann|_Luculus
01-31-2007, 02:46
I know Bottom now a few years and often played hard and interesting battles on his side and against him. I also know him from tourneys and so we talked a lot. He is an outstanding general, not only in leading his troops on the field, but behaving like a real leader.

Thats why I never noticed that Bottom was talking about others in a badly way. He always speaks out his opinion, but not in a secret way. He always does this in a diplomatic way and controls his feelings.

So I would "put my right hand into fire" for him. I never believe he had did what here was written.

He is a man with honor and he has got the respect of many veterans who also follow the CoH. Imo here must follow an excuse to Bottom.

A friend

-Silent-Someguy
01-31-2007, 02:57
Anyways, back on topic, Its all about the stake trapezoid.

|Heerbann|_Luculus
01-31-2007, 03:26
I dont want to behave like a referee, but I Silents and Bears are both well known clans with very good veteran members.

This: :furious3: wont bring a result.

But: :idea2:
So why not fighting this out on the fields. The one who tells the truth will win, like a duell in medieval solved such disputes.

I am always fighting and never retreat and if I loose I will honour the winner or, if winning, I got the respect.

So come on guys, :whip:

Fight it out and get over with it.

-Silent-Pariya
01-31-2007, 03:40
SA has pwnt 7bear7's with heroics left and right... to my knowledge they have not defeated a single SA team yet.. whether it be 1v1 2v2 or 3v3.

Fight it out?

They have already lost:laugh4: Maby they should merge with hunters as well....

pike master
01-31-2007, 04:28
i dont know very much about clan politics since im more into the battle part of the game. but one thing i know if i were to pick a clan different than the one im in it will surely not be silent because they do not have respect to others on the forum. there is no need for this kind of behavior on a subforum that has nothing to do with clan competition anyways so why are you guys even spamming it. if you dont want to participate in the discussion as it pertains to using tactics playing fun games and not competitive games than go spam the clan web sites you have the grievance with or pm them why drag the whole community into your ego trip. if you are so good than why do you have to talk so much to prove it.

Yun Dog
01-31-2007, 04:36
Dear me

I couldnt understand why people were a bit down on the MPTW community these days (M2TW) but after reading this thread it becomes so so clear. Have the Silent clan come over from CS or BF2 or some other 12 yr old - I pwnd uze n00bs - seriously how embarressing.

Last time I checked there was no competitive ladder or stats system like there is over at BF2 so all the tough talk hot air is meaningless BS and somewhat juvinile.

I would say most of the community would be laughing at this teenage angst bravado posts - really at least try and pretend to have some maturity if your going to post outside your clans forums on general community forums because your embarressing yourself and your clan.

As far as challenging guys - go for it - thats what the games about - but dissing guys like Bottom and Elmo - mate let me give you some advice - your making yourself look very foolish.

The veteran players have the respect of the copmmunity not because they won lots of games (usually guys who won lots were despised for being exploiters and having no life) they are respected because they play the game for fun and encourage others to do the same. They have nothing to prove - they never did - or ever acted like they did - get it?!

If these spotty faced boys are the norm in the community now :thumbsdown:

-Silent-Pariya
01-31-2007, 04:58
i know if i were to pick a clan different than the one im in it will surely not be silent because they do not have respect to others on the forum
ROFLMAO... do you have any idea how many ppl have been rejected from SA? What on gods green earth makes you think we would even THINK of taking you. Oh man, you vastly over-estimate yourself.

Have the Silent clan come over from CS or BF2 or some other 12 yr old - I pwnd uze n00bs - seriously how embarressing. We have been around since the first medeival. We have won more tournaments than any other clan playing the game... team AND 1v1 tournies... including but not only the CWC TWPL TWWC Vandalism GoldenSword The ladders... others... The fact that you don't know who we are would make YOU a noob... not us buddy.

UglyStrike
01-31-2007, 05:07
I believe what we have here is a distinct lack of understanding between various groups.

I have had the good fortune or misfortune to start playing on the origanal STW. Alot of the players like Elmo and Bottom and others all started back then. That game had a player and clan ladder (flawed thou it was) and competitive games were exactly that. Clan wars were serious and people went scalp hunting on a nightly basis. YOu insult someone in the forums or speak against their clan, everytime you turn around you were challenged to competive matches, people would have secret names they would use to slip into your competive games and either try and beat you or cause you to lose. Thus hurting your ranking and your clan's. This went on nightly, plus a hundred other dirty little tricks just like these.

The orignal game had a number of "features/bugs" that was used with abandon, thus not allowing a newbie even a fighting chance. A group of players, of which I was one and Elmo another, got together and decided we were tired of the all the nonsense. We wished to play the game for fun and decided that we wished to extend that option to others.

That desire has continued on and while I realize that most consider me a very poor player now. I really do not care because I have not played a game "to win" in several years. Each game I am a part of I am usually playing a new army or trying out a new tactic. *shrugs* I enjoy doing that and have fun. If I win that is great If I lose it happens.

So All the players/clans that are getting so excited in this thread, step back and take a deep breath. REmember you probably are not as good as you believe you are.

-Silent-Someguy
01-31-2007, 05:14
Ahh, Yunus, dont try and tell us what we are like in real life, you have no idea how old we are or what games we play. You come out with your "You guys are 12 and spotty faced" {censored} and you have no idea at all. You think we are stereotypical and think you can try and judge what we are like in real life, so lets do the same to you eh? You seem like and {censored}, and you are the one who is perpetuating the {censored} Sound right?

As for Dissing Elmo and Bottom, I never said anything against Elmo directly, he seems fine. As for bottom though, you have no idea of the history, and if you did you would realise he was the one who started talking {censored} about us on this forum, you dont know anything about it, so just keep out and ignore it. I don't CARE about the "respect of the community" the community in this game is a joke, mainly because it is filled with {censored} like you, who sit there thinking hailing and saluting clans in the game is fun and also is the measure of skill or respectability. The fact of the matter is in nearly every game, (most have larger and better communities than this game) people care more about how good people actually are, rather than sitting in the lobby {censored} and thinking that makes them "good" and "respected".

Edited by TosaInu.

Yun Dog
01-31-2007, 05:22
ROFLMAO... do you have any idea how many ppl have been rejected from SA? What on gods green earth makes you think we would even THINK of taking you. Oh man, you vastly over-estimate yourself.

We have been around since the first medeival. We have won more tournaments than any other clan playing the game... team AND 1v1 tournies... including but not only the CWC TWPL TWWC Vandalism GoldenSword The ladders... others... The fact that you don't know who we are would make YOU a noob... not us buddy.

I didnt call you or your clan Noobs - I said the way you conduct yourselves and communicate with others is CHILDISH

If your going to challenge people at least role play a medieval general or king or something to make it entertaining to read. Given your conduct here I would say is the reason I chose to ignore your clan. That and you clearly have a HUGE chip on your should trying really hard to prove something.

from your posts you come across as a pimple faced boy

:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

If you want to have CLANWARS I suggest you do it on CLAN forums

GROW UP BOY

:yes:

-Silent-Someguy
01-31-2007, 05:25
We dont need to prove anything Yunus, we did that a long time ago with 3 consecutive CWC wins.

Demok
01-31-2007, 05:53
It's my opinion that the stake heavy english army is not the best. it's very easy to counter even if you're in an entire box. in most cases that's even easier than a straight line... casue a box itself would merrit that you spent at least 4500 florins on archers.... and that's just wrong! wtf are you going to get with the rest of your money?

OH, by the way, did you know that stakes dont kill cav even from the front... if you know how to send them through ;) it's not even a bug!

pike master
01-31-2007, 06:12
please oh please mister silent somebody must you use such vulgar language in a public forum where younger people could see it. its simple man this subforum is to discuss offbase tactics not involving competitive rules. the logic is so sound and obvious what is it about a forum like this that peaves you guys off so much. please help to explain to the people in this forum what your point is.

are you against people sharing tactics with novice players so they can get a better grip on the game? is it that you are jealous that others in the community would like to promote enjoyment of this game more on the lobbys?

please explain the point you are trying to make? surely you can do it in a respectable manner. sure you guys are the best in skill. if thats what you say i have no reason to disbelieve it but what does that have to do with a forum discussing fun tactics for people who dont care about competition have to do with the greivances you have.

i dont understand why you just dont pm the people you have the grievance with or visit their websites and make your feelings expressed there. why do it here unless you dont want these kinds of discussions to take place.

if thats the case why would you not want that to happen?why would you not want the community to share tactics so people outside of clans can enjoy the game? it doesnt make any sense are you afraid that if so many heads get together that it will eventually catch up with your clans research into the mechanics exploits of the game or is it something else?

you see that i am speculating because from what ive seen in this thread you still have not come up with an explanation of why you are acting the way you are here.

so please enlighten us into your motives?

`-Silent-FireBlade
01-31-2007, 06:41
Just asking, who won the awards for best clan and best player in the HoF last years? ~D
RTK, Barrett wasn't it, I don't see anything starting with SA

And wot des that mean btw? Those awards were given by people who think stake boxs are ownage so i wont say anymore lmao

ElmarkOFear
01-31-2007, 06:55
You need to feed them poor ponies Demok. They is way too skinny if they can fit between those stakes. :)

To everyone: From the beginning, everyone has said this army isn't viable in competitive games, it is for fun only. Same goes for the Aztec Rush army. Both HAVE been used effectively in several games, whether it was against competition which couldn't figure out how to overcome it or not, really wasn't the point.

Further discussions on improving it, were not an attempt at making it work in competitive games, but an attempt at improving it to its best performance, given its stated limitations. I thought that was evident from the beginning.

Like Strike mentioned above, any army we take is for fun. My competitive days ended back during STW, with the Fearful Ways clan. When I left the clan and formed the Ugly community, I enjoyed helping others learn the game. Not teaching them to win, but to play well enough to enjoy playing.

I am not sure why Pariya felt it necessary to jump into this thread and begin hassling everyone, since this isn't even the thread where Bottom apparently made his remark about someone in the SA clan. It was very childish of him and I called him on it. He then chose to come up with some strange story of how I think I'm "Elite" and other interesting comments, but I figured it was just a single outburst and let it go at that. Anyone who has known me at all over the past 6 years knows I have always referred to myself as a card carrying Professional Noob who has lost more games than most people have played. It also has been pointed out time and again, that this isn't a serious army, but it was obvious a few purposely chose to overlook this fact.

If some of you have an on-going thing with Bottom, you need to keep it in the thread where it started and let us have our discussions here without all the drama. You are always welcome to enter into the discussions and give your opinion, but if it is just to antagonize people over nothing, you're really wasting your time with this bunch, since we care less for who is the best player or clan.

Hey Demok. Tell Furious I said; "Hello". I always had fun playing with him in those 4v4s. I still miss the old days when my PC was brand new and I could host lagless 4v4s and the games would fill up almost immediately after being posted.

PS: I must admit I am surprised to see all of the competitions Monarch mentioned in the MP Tournament section. I had been away from the community for a few years, after my disgust with RTW's MP lobby, that I didn't realize there was so much going on. I would have thought everything would have died after I left! :beam:

-Silent-Someguy
01-31-2007, 12:15
are you against people sharing tactics with novice players so they can get a better grip on the game?

Actually, you are the guys warping the novice players minds with talk of stake boxes, I was actually trying to help them by pointing out how bad this tactic is.

ElmarkOFear
01-31-2007, 13:33
Actually there haven't been any brand new novices in this thread, just us old ones. You guys must have chased them away.

Guess the new players should consider it a public service. :beam:

-Silent Assassins- : Saving Noobs from Bad Org MP Discussions since 2007

That would make an excellent siggy. ~:thumb:

BTW: I thought about this for a long time ---about 3 minutes (Hey! So I have a short attention span, so what?) Now where was I? Oh yes:

This community DOES need a clan such as the Silent Assassins. It provides much needed comic relief (with its over-the-top antics) and bravado. It adds a bit of excitement, in an otherwise, calm (and what some would call "boring") MP community. Sometimes there is so much political correctness and honorable behavior, it begins to appear a bit -- how can I say it: "Fake".

You guys remind me a lot of the clan Demon Kanamari started during the Shogun days. Everyone thought Demon was one person, but it was several different people working together. His clan, challenged and beat several of the top clans who were getting too full of themselves and then taunted them in the forums. It was always fun to visit the .org (at that time the .org was the main forum for all things MP).

Even those times when myself and my clan were the targets of such attacks, it kept us on our toes and created a bit of unpredictability. In those days, you could attack your teammates, and this was one of the Demon Kahn's favorite tactics. The paranoia ran so thick, clans were afraid of taking in new members for fear of being infiltrated and having their secrets stolen or being Team-Killed (TK'd).

Demon even got me indirectly: Magyarkhan joined a big 4v4 on my team, but the name he was using wasn't spelled like he normally did. He bought his usual all horse archer army, and proceeded to set up behind my troops. I decided to attack him at the start before he could get me, and I finally realized my mistake when Magy trashed my army in spectacular fashion -- Magy may not be among the top players today, but I haven't seen anyone since who could control 16 cav as well as he. That was one of those humorous and memorable moments, which never would have happened without the Demon Khan clan.

LOL Demon was even the character behind the now infamous Tera-gate scandal. Poor Tera fell right into his trap and Demon laid it all out at the .org with screenshots of their conversations from a chat room. :laugh4: Though the clans were extremely upset about what Tera did and it led to the MP community leaving the .org and forming the .net, I had to hand it to him for pulling off a major "Punk'd" on the community before he left.

So don't go anywhere guys. The laughter goes both ways. :yes:

And to think I actually got paid for writing this, from my work station! I LOVE my job . . sometimes.

Starcy
01-31-2007, 13:52
*shakes head*

From the start of this thread i got the impression that this was an army to be experimented with and played around fun. Stig even mentioned that it was possible to defeat it and it was by no means the invincible army capable of destroying anything it comes across. I think most people took it this way, except a few it seems, who had the strange notion that supporters of this formation were telling "noobs" the wrong things and it would be a detriment to their m2tw capabilities.

Ive played games involving such stake boxes and ive seen them work and ive seen them not work, whether or not some of the people using these stake boxes were "noobs" or not i dont know, simply because they dont have a famed clantag or any clan tag for that matter doesnt make them "noobs".

I fail to see why some of you Silent guys have come out making all sorts of claims about how it sucks and its not even worth talking about, when most people were at first generally just discussing possibilities. Like someone earlier mentioned, Pariya you do give the impression of a 13year old kid who plays counter-strike and shouts "Haha n00b i pwned j00" every time you win - not sure if this is intended or not, but each to their own. Incidentally i dont care whether or not you've won whatever tournaments "x" amount of times, you are obviously skilled players who have been playing a long time, but this doesnt mean:

a) any tactic which doesnt conform to your ideals should be slated at every opportunity
b) any person who enjoys not playing your standard "grassy plains and specific rules" should be slated either.

I for one enjoy playing various maps, even if that means sometimes i have a huge advantage or a huge disadvantage, it makes for some fun and variety. If this makes me a noob in your eyes than so be it, im a noob yay :laugh4: But please stop with your elitist rantings, and contribute something productive? :juggle2:

Btw this could easily have been solved at the start if Pariya for example had played a simple battle and seen what the results are. Given whatever the results would have been the winner could then have pointed out why he thought he#d won and proven his or hers pov. This would have prevented much "ive pwned stake boxes with a heroic victory 1000000times before noob" :2thumbsup:

Storm_Of_Shields
01-31-2007, 14:17
Nice Comments Starky :D

Elmo what would we do without you to put things into Perspective.

Pariya think about what your doing lol, youre making fun of a hat i wear, A HAT :inquisitive:

Callahan9119
01-31-2007, 14:28
AMP used to play 2 computers at once, and did it well :dizzy2:

dude was amazing :bow:, and was always a cool dude

pariya, i was getting unemployment benefits and playing old mtw like 12 hours a day for 6 motnhs, dont remember you guys, rtk, bears, wolf clan, fear, elmo's crew, those celtebero dudes and some others...no SA...but maybe i forgot...its been like 3 or 4 years

i'd wake up at like 9pm, go get nachos from 7/11 and smoke weed and play till like 10 am, then pass out :hippie: until those wonderful checks stopped coming, so maybe u played the other half of the day

-Silent-Someguy
01-31-2007, 14:38
-Silent Assassins- : Saving Noobs from Bad Org MP Discussions since 2007

Stolen.

AMP was never good on two PC's he wasnt good on one. Every time he played on 2 pc's he got pwned, even ask him, im sure he'll be the first to admit it.

And Tosainu if you are going to edit my post, try editing out the actual swear words, rather than censoring {censor} lol. Also, I hope you are going to censor and warn this Yunus Dogos {censor} for his personal attacks.

Callahan9119
01-31-2007, 14:45
hmm i dont think u played mtw1 homey, your comments further my belief in this

people accusing elmo of elitism? :dizzy2: he is one of the most self deprecating dudes i ever met online :laugh4:

pike master
01-31-2007, 15:31
the problem with the stake box is that it makes it obvious that one player must attack. i am usually up to the challenge of attacking because it automatically gives you the initiative. but even if it wasnt that i cant stand wait very long and would like to end the battle sooner than later.

so if two guys use the stake box and play against each other in a mp game than theres going to be a long battle of waiting for one player to make his move.

other wise it is a good formation.

Starcy
01-31-2007, 15:46
i agree mad cat, it can sometimes be terribly frustrating if two people are unwilling to advance for whatever reasons, although usually im happy to do it even if it will eventually lead to my defeat. Its one of the reasons people dont like playing anything else than "grassy plains" cos people simply camp on top of large hills sometimes!

and like some people have mentioned i definately dont think the stake box is invunerable because it isnt, but in certain situations it can prove very very effective.

pike master
01-31-2007, 15:46
now we must also take into consideration the origins of terms used in the past and their meanings. obviously the stake was derived from the word steak unless i am less than 1st grade equivalent.

now as we know horses do not like steak and it would probably shy them away from an enemy position using them.an infantry attack will find the enemy soldiers enmeshed in the steaks trying to eat them so that will not work either.

of course the only remedy is to use mamelukes. now pretty clearly according to the midieval tongue mamelukes is most certianly interpreted these days as marmaluke which as we know was a large dog in the comic strips who liked steaks. now since a large dog is easily trained and used as war dogs it is easy to see how mamelukes names were used in the old tongue.

dogs as we know love steak but unlike humans the dogs will ignore the steaks on the ground and go for the grill that is cooking them. and killing anyone who tries to stop them. 8|

so it is obvious that mameluk cav is bugged and was intended by ca to be wardogs. so they need to change the units appearance.

:|

Denali
01-31-2007, 16:10
lmao @ everything :laugh4:

TosaInu
01-31-2007, 16:22
LOL Demon was even the character behind the now infamous Tera-gate scandal. Poor Tera fell right into his trap and Demon laid it all out at the .org with screenshots of their conversations from a chat room. :laugh4: Though the clans were extremely upset about what Tera did and it led to the MP community leaving the .org and forming the .net, I had to hand it to him for pulling off a major "Punk'd" on the community before he left.

The MP community might be happy with those disgusting cowards, they are not welcome here with their acts.

pike master
01-31-2007, 16:36
its a good thread otherwise. maybe a moderator can edit all the comments not discussing the op topic. or maybe close the topic altogethr. the other threads have been constructive and fun in this subforum.

@Denali i like the swiss too. maybe they can add on a swiss faction then we can make a pike and halberd army of death.

Callahan9119
01-31-2007, 17:53
well i have given up my quest for the stakes of doom. not saying it wont work, but the craziness of a 3 vs 3 or a 1 vs 1 against a smarter than me clan member has left me without success~:mecry:

ElmarkOFear
01-31-2007, 18:24
See? We made Denali smile! Another successful thread.

Tosa: I never said the MP community was happy about anything during those days. It was obvious they were extremely unhappy or they would never have left. Didn't you know who the Demon Khan was during that time? He has long since left the community, never to return, and he took his character with him. But now we got these guys! :)

Subutai: Yup, there's not another AMP out there. I have seen him master a couple of games: Praetorian was one of them. It was always fun to watch him play with 2 PCs. He won most of the time too. :) Though the one army was a generic one with his musket, yari's setup to where he didn't have to do much to them, unless it was rushed. He is the one who figured out about the in-battle upgrades and who would teamkill your men, as your army routed past him. One of the reasons he liked playing with me. He knew he had about 1 or two levels of upgrades for most of his men, as my men raced off the map. LOL

Now if only we could get CA to make that circle mobile, we could run around the map chasing those ponies. Would look like a giant inner-tube.

Storm_Of_Shields
01-31-2007, 18:48
:2thumbsup:

ElmarkOFear
01-31-2007, 18:52
Also, I hope you are going to censor and warn this Yunus Dogos {censor} for his personal attacks.

Yunus is a good guy. He was giving you guys back a bit of what you were giving to others in this thread, and you play Mr. Sensitive? :laugh4:

Anyways, back on topic, Its all about the stake trapezoid.

I thought it was the Stake Triangle now? More efficient than a trapezoid. Hard to get all those angles right.

Now THOSE are funny! At least Someguy has a sense of humor about this. If you are going to have a go at people, at least be slightly humorous about it and don't ruin the whole thing with the use of age-revealing words such as "Ownage" or "L33T".

BTW:

"-Silent Assassins- : Protecting Noobs from .Org MP Discussions since 2007" has a better flow to it.

ElmarkOFear
01-31-2007, 19:18
Stig, Bottom, Shields and anyone else who might be interested: I will finally be able to be online tonight around 7 pm to 9 pm Eastern Standard and we can try out the new Mega Circle of Doom.

Maybe the Silent Assassins would lower their standards enough to oblige us by whoopin' our butts. We can save the replay and have something to post here so we can continue the trash talk. :laugh4:

Storm_Of_Shields
01-31-2007, 19:41
Elmo without you I may have never learned how to lose :D

`-Silent-FireBlade
01-31-2007, 19:55
hmm i dont think u played mtw1 homey, your comments further my belief in this

I think its funny that u dont no who he is hehe!

From that comment i can only assume that u think that any1/clan that was RTW based is lower in ur opinion on all levels, even though ur 'Best Clan' was formed in RTW...Strange!

I only played MTW1 for about 2 months online, then i dedicated my time 2 RTW/BI so im far from bein as skilled as u 'Vets' but i am willin to try my luck against any of u 2 see how i fair in game, u can bring a stake box/triangle/hectagon or wotever and i'll bring Mongols, and u can convince me that tactic is worth takin :coffeenews:

Stig
01-31-2007, 20:05
7 EST, mmm that would be 23:00 for me I think ... maybe maybe

`-Silent-FireBlade
01-31-2007, 20:18
Im GMT :inquisitive:

ElmarkOFear
01-31-2007, 20:36
What time would you be available to play Fireblade? 7 to 9 pm my time would be GMT minus 5 hours so around 12 midnight to 2 am GMT (2400 to 0200 hours)

If you see me in the lobby, just give me a shout. I'm always willing to take a loss since I enjoy just playing the game against a human player instead of the lousy AI. I have never understood what enjoyment single player battles ever provided that would make players not want to try multiplayer. That goes for anyone else in this thread as well.

Many clans used me as a practice dummy in STW/MTW1, since I was willing to play any faction/army, and they knew I wouldn't get mad when they beat me, since I didn't really care. Similar to the guy who gets into the boxing ring with the heavyweight champ so he can beat up on him and practice for his next title bout. Not quite good enough to fight for the title bout, but good enough to get the crap beat of him by those who were. LOL

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
02-01-2007, 00:22
What time would you be available to play Fireblade? 7 to 9 pm my time would be GMT minus 5 hours so around 12 midnight to 2 am GMT (2400 to 0200 hours)

If you see me in the lobby, just give me a shout. I'm always willing to take a loss since I enjoy just playing the game against a human player instead of the lousy AI. I have never understood what enjoyment single player battles ever provided that would make players not want to try multiplayer. That goes for anyone else in this thread as well.

Many clans used me as a practice dummy in STW/MTW1, since I was willing to play any faction/army, and they knew I wouldn't get mad when they beat me, since I didn't really care. Similar to the guy who gets into the boxing ring with the heavyweight champ so he can beat up on him and practice for his next title bout. Not quite good enough to fight for the title bout, but good enough to get the crap beat of him by those who were. LOL

Still owe me a game Mr. ElMark :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

ElmarkOFear
02-01-2007, 01:12
Of course Warman! :) When I see ya, we can play. :beam:

Demok
02-01-2007, 14:21
Ok, for all who think stake box (or circle in this case) is good. I have a replay of me taking an 8 cav, 4 inf, 2 archer army.... which is the worst combo to fight a stakebox.... and I STILL WIN!!! i have to agree with anyone who says this is tactic you can find. I did everything wrong and STILL WON!
here's the link to the replay. it's even against an RBE... so it's "technically" :)
http://forums.thesilentassassins.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=469

pike master
02-01-2007, 14:49
must you fellas use such offensive language on a forum. i visited your website one day and noticed all the vulgar language spattered all over your sight. its sad.

Demok
02-01-2007, 14:52
TosaInu: no Backroom content please.

Paolai
02-01-2007, 15:20
"freedom of speech" doesnt means that you can insult people whenever you like.

Callahan9119
02-01-2007, 16:22
I think its funny that u dont no who he is hehe!

From that comment i can only assume that u think that any1/clan that was RTW based is lower in ur opinion on all levels, even though ur 'Best Clan' was formed in RTW...Strange!

oh, but i know who you are my dear fireblade, but i havnt seen bliz around to fight your battles for you in m2tw :hanged:

Storm_Of_Shields
02-01-2007, 16:24
I still Watch Disney Movies :laugh4:

Monarch
02-01-2007, 17:30
Nope won't work, the Archers are right behind the stakes, they would already be engaged when Barrett is going to click his run button.

lol and? Even if a cav unit is "engaged" if you click run it will start running and just run right through. This btw is a good tib if someone has your cav bogged down with infantry, simply just run through his inf.

pike master
02-01-2007, 17:52
TosaInu: no Backroom content please.

Rob The Bastard
02-01-2007, 18:12
Knock off the abuse, or I'll infict all the torments that I have at my disposal upon you.

Hopefully my time here will be short... so don't tempt me.

-Silent-Pariya
02-01-2007, 19:12
Heres my two cents.

`-Silent-FireBlade
02-01-2007, 19:25
oh, but i know who you are my dear fireblade, but i havnt seen bliz around to fight your battles for you in m2tw :hanged:

Most everyone knows who i am ;)

Im gonna go ahead and guesse that Blitz owned u in RTW, which is no shocker, and 2v2 me and him used 2 own it up ;o)

And with all respect DO NOT make comments like that 2 a player unless u r gonna back it up....and if u r thinkin about backing it up, i would advise u 2 think twice and then a 3rd time so u dont look a fool wen that comment is slapped back at ya....cause odds are, if u play me it will be!

Stig
02-01-2007, 19:31
I believe some just said you should knock it off

pike master
02-01-2007, 19:53
TosaInu: no Backroom content in this forum please.

Callahan9119
02-01-2007, 20:00
fireblade my dear man, i told you to look at post 59 i think it was.

let me regale you with a tale of old

i was a week into playing rome, after a few games with bliz he kept asking me to join maji, after a few days i did, u hosted a laggy game i quit

you got mouthy about me leaving the game. i quit maji, you then went on to say "you booted me", you did things to my maji forums account, talked alot of smack in lobby and then after you and bliz publicly asking me to 1 vs 1 u i did.

i recall it clearly, you were egypt, lots of chariots. i was macedon, phalax army with some companions, your chariots destroyed my cav, but after that u attacked my rear, which had pikes facing you, you lost quickly after that

after this battle bliz asked publicly who won, i said me, you both logged out of lobby within 30 seconds, i sense he was ashamed of you

there were two more losses for you after that, was rome vs rome, we both had upgraded urbans, was unremarkable, i stopped playing rome a month after starting

this when you were a "good player" and i was just over a week into rome, and played no TW since mideval like 3 years before that

i know your a shameless liar, so i bet you forget this, like when u stopped challenging me and bliz had to for you (although i forgive him and saw him in m2tw lobby, he is ok with me. and i say he is good people)

i been at m2tw a week, if i see u on lets revisit history

Zeph
02-01-2007, 20:48
"freedom of speech" doesnt means that you can insult people whenever you like.
Actually it does. It means you can say what you like when you like, but there is no freedom of speech on the internet so whatever.

Sabutai, fireblade from maji and SA are different people. But goodluck with that, just like bliz and blitz (Maji and SA respectively). Get your facts sorted before throwing insults around mate. ;) But just to end it, if you were in maji then I definately beat you. :p

TosaInu: No Backroom content in this forum please.

TosaInu
02-01-2007, 21:02
Back to topic The Staked Longbow Army of Doom please.

Zeph
02-01-2007, 21:08
Bah tos that was the most intelligent thing i have bothered to post in a long time that you just deleted. :furious3: :clown:

TosaInu
02-01-2007, 21:17
Do you have Backroom access Zeph?

Zeph
02-01-2007, 21:54
I don't see any forum called it.

TosaInu
02-01-2007, 22:10
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=19

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/profile.php?do=editusergroups Backroom membership.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
02-01-2007, 22:25
Don't some of you people know when to knock it off when TosaInu and Rob tell you to? If I see a mod/admin telling me to get back on topic, I think it be a wise decsion to do so.

Back on Topic

I personally won't use the stake box, just because, it can be deafted.

I personally didn't see it yet, but after this post I will take a look at the replay though. I think if you just take out his longbowmen, you have no touble then,but then again, I must watch it before I say anything else.

*runs off to watch replay*

Orda Khan
02-01-2007, 22:45
Yeah great reading.....

.....Orda

Louis de la Ferte Ste Colombe
02-01-2007, 22:55
Orda, you owe me, you made me read that stuff again... I thought there might be something intersting in there :furious3:

:dizzy2: :wall:

Louis,

`-Silent-FireBlade
02-01-2007, 23:09
LOL...u got me confused with Maji_FireBlade....Take it from me im the original FireBlade ;o)

It looks like im gonna be makin sum personal history with u boy not revisiting...talk about challeging the wrong player in more ways than 1 :laugh4:

PS...Stake box 4 the win WOOT

Orda Khan
02-01-2007, 23:10
You have my humble apologies Louis

.......Orda

-Silent-Someguy
02-02-2007, 03:30
Its more interesting then most of the "omg cav kill spearman" "Why are ele's so powerful" drivle in these forums.

The stake trapezoid IS the best you have it like this

\| | | |/
\ /
\ /
\| | | | | | | |/

You take some mailed knights or whatever cav and you fudge pack them in the gap in the front when they try and get in, as im sure we all know cav dnt ride down other cav, even weaker cav half as fast as they do inf. Anyways so u sed ur cav into the gap when they try and get in then fudgepack ur inf in behind them, while ur bowmen shoot it up. This way the gap in the front tempts them to attack u there and not move around the sides and stuff and just walk their cav into the backs and sides.

TosaInu: still not entirely WYSIWYG, but code tags help.

-Silent-Someguy
02-02-2007, 04:14
ok my trapezoid got messed up

Yun Dog
02-02-2007, 04:26
I think I can envisage the trapezoid

basically protecting the side flanks with stakes ever widening - but keeping an open front and back should the need be to sally forth or retreat.

put a row of pikes at the front and that only leaves one option for the enemys cav - the rear

I like the advantage of having some mobility and not being able to be completely surrounded

I think the point of the staked longbow army is its the extreme end point example - a fire base in the viet cong controlled jungles :laugh4:

What about a triangle of terror

you basically want to funnel the enemy into one small gap

___\ p p p p /
__\_a a a a a _/
_\_c___i i i___c_/
__|||||||||||||

p = pikes
a = arch
i = inf
c = cav
\/|=spikes

Demok
02-02-2007, 06:19
Well I just Rolled 2 separate people using the stakebox..... Clear Vic both times.... but hey... it's a great tactic!!!

Storm_Of_Shields
02-02-2007, 06:29
Please listen to the moderators of this forum and get back on the topic. This was original a tactic meant for fun and not in competitive play if it was used in competative play then that isnt the problem of these people in the topic it is that of those who used it.

-Silent-Someguy
02-02-2007, 06:34
you arent even an admin here shields.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::

But his advice is intended to be help you...

Perhaps doing as I request would be wise?

pike master
02-02-2007, 06:50
id hate to see what an english archer defensive formation will perform like when they fix the two handed units. those billmen would be something to fear if their fixed properly.

Demok
02-02-2007, 06:59
yeah their defence of 4 is really scary!

ElmarkOFear
02-02-2007, 07:16
Someguy: I actually played in a game awhile back where someone used your "trapezoid" defense. Though it looked more like an "L" Makes me wonder if it wasn't you using a different name or if someone was copying it.

It was a 3v3 and he was on a far flank and set up close to the middle player, with the L portion of the stake formation facing frontward and extending back along the outside flank. He placed cav in the back of the formation. and the middle player set up forward to cover the front with his cav. The Player on the other flank set up back and moved towards these two to cover the other flank.

It seemed to work fairly well. It forces the enemy to go way out of his way with cav to get to your flank, while under fire the entire way and it also puts his cav way out of position to help his teammates if they are rushed. Which is what happened. The enemy cav was isolated on one flank, his other teammates were rushed and he could not get there in time to help out. He went ahead and slaughtered the arrow units, but the game was decided by then. All in all the "trapezoind" archer units were more valuable for their stakes than they were for their arrows.

It looked something like this:

----------- Army 1 ----------- Army 2 --------------- Army 3 --

X--------CAV-----------------------------------------------
X
X--------------------------FOOT-----------------FOOT-----
X---------------------------CAV------------------CAV------
X
X
XXX XXX XXX XXX-------- crossbows ---------- crossbows --

The X's being archers/stakes

If the patch increases spear/pike vs. cav and/or cav's power is reduced, I could see this formation becoming fairly useful in future games.

pike master
02-02-2007, 14:09
well the deal with the billmen is that when the cav march through the stakes to get at the archers they must slow down and therefore lose their charge bonus. they would be a perfect target for billmen then. remember that although pikemen only have a 1 defence they still hold up well animations are more important than stat figures presently.billmen right now arnt too bad for this purpose since they are cheaper than any spearmen and cheap to upgrade.

Demok
02-02-2007, 14:14
i doubt that was "someguy" (lunar). he hasn't used English for serious since the game first came out.

ElmarkOFear
02-02-2007, 14:25
The timing of it was interesting then.

Callahan9119
02-02-2007, 14:28
( IF ) you are not that fireblade, i sincerely apologize:shakehands:

if i play you and you show any hint of skill, i'll know this to be true..not afraid of losing if your a good player homey...i dont take myself very seriously and am only in a clan cuz i liked playing with some of the people:dancing:

if your as good as you say, maybe you should use the stake box of doom, as i appear too nubsauce to use it effectively

i think they like cav how it is elmo, seems to me each game they get more powerful, although unit morale (or lack of it) may have just given the impression of this in rome

-Silent-Someguy
02-02-2007, 15:21
Not even fireblade can make the stakebox army of doom any good......

`-Silent-FireBlade
02-02-2007, 18:37
( IF ) you are not that fireblade, i sincerely apologize:shakehands:

if i play you and you show any hint of skill, i'll know this to be true..not afraid of losing if your a good player homey...i dont take myself very seriously and am only in a clan cuz i liked playing with some of the people:dancing:

if your as good as you say, maybe you should use the stake box of doom, as i appear too nubsauce to use it effectively

i think they like cav how it is elmo, seems to me each game they get more powerful, although unit morale (or lack of it) may have just given the impression of this in rome

Theres no need 2 apligize,

Demok
02-03-2007, 09:33
you're right FB

`-Silent-FireBlade
02-03-2007, 09:35
Well i got warned 4 sayin its an insult 2 be compared 2 a Maji player, and comparing stake boxs to that of a 3 yr olds army, so im sorry,

Stig
02-03-2007, 11:38
I might be insulted again by that

*holds mouse pointer over PM mod button*

3 warnings is a small ban if I'm correct

Paolai
02-03-2007, 11:42
Dont waste your time with these guys Stig, just ignore them.

Stig
02-03-2007, 11:50
Dont waste your time with these guys Stig, just ignore them.
I try to, but there are about 4 of them, they pop up everywhere

Paolai
02-03-2007, 12:00
Yes I know, but they never write somethings interesting, they just like to piss off people, so just ignore them.

-Silent-Someotherguy
02-03-2007, 12:29
:daisy:

TosaInu
02-03-2007, 12:31
Just use the report post button please and it will be looked at. Do not bite the bait.

Stig
02-03-2007, 12:34
Just use the report post button please and it will be looked at. Do not bite the bait.
How many can I report at once? ~D

Zeph
02-03-2007, 15:00
Yes where is this report button? I want to report stig for being prejudice and a troll.

-Silent-Someguy
02-03-2007, 15:03
I dont like coloured people.

Instagib? I think so.

TosaInu
02-03-2007, 15:29
I dont like coloured people.

-A racist comment? If so a 2 pointer will be issued.
-Referring to people speaking against the Warzone like banter here? It doesn't say anything about their color, they just know this is not the place. It was made clear that this forum isn't a FFA Insult Whoever you please. Resistence is futile, flash your BIOS.
-You realise your kind of people are 'kindly' referred to as coloured people right? You may not like yourself, we'll try to. But straighten up.

Instagib? I think so.

Instagib is reserved for spambots and highly incompatible entities. Are you a spambot or do you know for sure already that you won't behave like expected?

`-Silent-FireBlade
02-03-2007, 17:10
Hey Tosa, u dont mind if i call u Tosa do u? I feel we've gotten close ;) Wen u edit my posts can u leave in the good parts, cause my sarcasm is killer, and u r ruining it ;)

TosaInu
02-03-2007, 17:34
I feel we've gotten close ;)

Who's we and close to what?

`-Silent-FireBlade
02-03-2007, 17:51
Me and u, im sure u can feel the electric between us 2 ;) And with valentines day comin up i expect summit good ;)

TosaInu
02-03-2007, 18:15
Me and u, im sure u can feel the electric between us 2 ;) And with valentines day comin up i expect summit good ;)

I understand, thank you for the explanation. I'm afraid we don't have a forum for that, this one certainly isn't it.

pike master
02-05-2007, 18:26
i have theorized that stakes could be planted in random patterns ones flank pointing at 45 degrees towars that flank. in esssence it would be a mine field then you can use spearmen to hold this area. it is possible to get horses through there but the enemy would not be able to do it in a massed formation he would have to spend time negotiating the area and you could then use your cav to launch a rapid attack against part of his army when he is in this area. if he tries to rush out to save his army he risk running his cav into the stakes.

just an idea of how stakes could work but havnt tested it. also ca should allow deployment to hide where somone places stakes since an opponent can see where the stakes are being planted before battle starts giving him a clue to where your army is placed.

however this could be worked to your advantage by decieving him to point to area where he sees the stakes the majority of your army could be in a different position to catch him off balance when the battle starts.

Dionysus9
02-05-2007, 21:36
interesting idea about a stake minefield, but as far as using somestakes to throw off the enemy during deployment that might not work so well. #1 enemy may not be paying attention (I know I dont, I'm too busy getting beers and talking on vent)... #2 you will be sacrificing your stake archers if he falls for the trap, and probably even if he doesn't fall from the trap (since they'll be too far away from your main force to save).

But I like the minefield idea... you could really cause some havoc with stakes set at random angles. Only hope you dont have to go through that area with cav yourself!

RtkBedivere
02-06-2007, 05:56
Just a soxy opinion. I find it very hard to believe a stake box will ever win vs. an average player in a competetion. To prefrom a good box have to have at least 8 arch which with the price of english archers good enough to plant stakes your looking at just under hlaf your money leaves you some spears and heavy inf to put in your box. Mabey some cav though i dont see the point if you are sitting. my question is how is this army going to fair agianst some xbows + mounted xbows? it will get destroyed. You ruin mobility by geting in a box. honestly im just gonna take my arch or xbows and shoot the hell out of your inf. YOuve lost a couple hundred before you eliminate my arch/xbows. Then youve got 6-8 and 4-6 inf left to deal with and what youve got is half strenght inf and archers. Good luck with that.

Stakes are on the other hand not useless you can win an arch war and force an attack and win but you cant camp in a box you must use them to protect you flansk and use them to funel enemy cav exactly where you want. I have also seen countless people run there own cav into their stakes. You have to pay attention to use them.

Stake box=bad in almost every circumstance. Also good luck with it vs timurds. Eles erase stakes from the map.

Abdul
02-12-2007, 14:10
I never played rome online much, nearly all of my time on tw is mtw1, so I don't know the naswer to this. What is the difference between fire arrows and standard arrows? Is one of them "better" or more accurate?. :help:

This has probably been asked before, if so :oops:

Abdul.

7Bear7Bottom
02-12-2007, 23:32
Regular arrows are more acurate, fire arrows you would use to scare the enemy like when you have your archer drawn back while engaging.

pike master
02-13-2007, 03:23
hidden pitholes or caltrops would be better for the game i think. but if stakes you should not be able to see a persons stakes deploying before battle. i think stakes would be served better as a tool of deception. no one is going to purposely drive their cav at full steam into stakes.

{-Maji-}_FireBlade
02-17-2008, 19:00
fireblade my dear man, i told you to look at post 59 i think it was.

let me regale you with a tale of old

i was a week into playing rome, after a few games with bliz he kept asking me to join maji, after a few days i did, u hosted a laggy game i quit

you got mouthy about me leaving the game. i quit maji, you then went on to say "you booted me", you did things to my maji forums account, talked alot of smack in lobby and then after you and bliz publicly asking me to 1 vs 1 u i did.

i recall it clearly, you were egypt, lots of chariots. i was macedon, phalax army with some companions, your chariots destroyed my cav, but after that u attacked my rear, which had pikes facing you, you lost quickly after that

after this battle bliz asked publicly who won, i said me, you both logged out of lobby within 30 seconds, i sense he was ashamed of you

there were two more losses for you after that, was rome vs rome, we both had upgraded urbans, was unremarkable, i stopped playing rome a month after starting

this when you were a "good player" and i was just over a week into rome, and played no TW since mideval like 3 years before that

i know your a shameless liar, so i bet you forget this, like when u stopped challenging me and bliz had to for you (although i forgive him and saw him in m2tw lobby, he is ok with me. and i say he is good people)

i been at m2tw a week, if i see u on lets revisit history

LOL talking behind my back eh??

Let me make this clear... AGAIN! Because you didn't get it the first time in the Maji forums, or in the RTW lobby. Bliz asked me if I wanted to kick you out for your little stunt, I told him I would go easy on you and make you apologize with no other consequence than that. You instead chose to get all high and mighty, you got rid of your tags, I gave you a LAST CHANCE to have forgotten the whole mess, of course you were a dick about it and were banished from the forums and anything to do with Maji.

Furthermore, WE NEVER HAD A 1v1 LMFAO! I never took Egypt against you, and I certainly never lost. Grant it, I had a few bad games that day, in fact the worst games I've ever played in my history of playing RTW.

To this date I have NEVER encountered any player more disrespectful and deceitful as you, in fact there is no player the Maji have ever banished from our forums other than you.

Though you were unbanished, and the 'defiling' of your account undone, (you pissed alot of people off, not just me) after I had tried to leave you on good terms, you go and post crap like this...

Well... anyway, I hope I don't see you out there, people such as you are a waste of bandwidth on the total war servers.

themoob
08-17-2009, 09:12
I played against one guy who adopted a tactic like the English did for the Battle of Agincourt, stakes with gaps covered by spearmen, etc.

I was playing as Hungary too, and had all cavalry, but I could exploit the gaps, he ended up winning though, when I didn't have enough cavalry to kill the very few units of archers he had left.

It was a great fight, and didn't feel like a cheesy tactic like completely surrounding your army in stakes.

KrooK
08-27-2009, 23:32
This army is not working into rules games. Only into no rules (so into "weak players games").
Normal army is breaking england because it uses its own crossbowmen to force england to loose ammo.
England loose 100% ammo when other nation has 50% of men and 50% of ammo (pavs). Then its easy - you are firing into big infantry army groupped into small area (90% accuracy).

A1_Unit
09-11-2009, 22:45
An octagon of Pikemen with Archers inside works too.