PDA

View Full Version : Dragonlance Mod?

adembroski
01-28-2007, 19:49
I know someone was starting to get into this with Rome, but it never really went anywhere. I'd love to see it done, and I think the age to which Dragonlance has progressed would be the most appropriate for the Total War engine.

For one thing, Dragons are not very common in warfare anymore, so that wouldn't be a major issue. Next, many of the large united forces from the War of the Lance have become smaller, splintered forces, allowing for a greater number of factions. Minotaurs have invaded the southeastern portion of Ansalon, giving them a good starting point, the Knights of Neraka have splintered into 3 smaller sects and are allied but tention is high, the Ogre nations have become more organized and able to field Total War worthy units with the rise of the Titans, the Solamnics themselves have splintered as well, with both the Nation of Solamnia and the independant Solamnic Knights having little to do with each other (allowing for a "Solamnia" kingdom faction allied under King Jaymes Markham and a "Knights of Solamnia" faction based out of Sancrist).

Further, King Jaymes' development of Black Powder can give the game some semblance of technological progress, something that wouldn't be easy to come across in a War of the Lace era mod.

The religions would represent the old unity, with the Knights of Neraka all under one, the Whitestone Council, made up of Solamnia, Ergoth, Knights of Solamnia, and the dwarven nations of Thoradin, Thorbardin, and Kaolyn. Perhaps the Free Cities of Abanasinia as well. These aliances are a lot looser than they once were.

Potential factions are the following...

Whitestone Factions (Using Islamic religion)
- The Solamnic Empire (Good heavy cavalry, weak archery)
- The Knights of Solamnia (Sacrist and Sanction being starting provinces, Lord Tasgal. Knights cheaper than as Solamnia, but not as good supporting units)
- The Ergothian Empire (Similar to Solamnia, but more economically driven.)
- Thorbardin (good heavy infantry, slow troops, few cavalry)
- Thoradin
- Kaolyn
- Abanasinia (Legion of Steel, light cavalry, few heavy cavalry)
- Kharolis (Tarsis, great navy, light infantry, very little cavalry)
- Qualinesti Elves
- Kagonesti Elves (west Southern Ergoth)

Nerakan Factions (using Catholic religion)
- Neraka (including Knights of Neraka)
- Onyx Order (Knights of Neraka faction, Qualinesti)
- Knights of Darkhaven (Knights of Neraka faction, Desolation)

The reason to use Catholic for this faction is to account for the Cabal of the Code, which are inquisitors within the Nerakan Knighthood that act similar to the Catholic inquisitors. The "Neraka" faction would replace the papal states.

Other Factions (using Orthydox religion)
- Blode (ogres)
- Throtl (goblins)
- Khur (ogres)
- Mithas and Kothas (Minotaurs, also holds Silvanesti)
- Estwilde (humans, tribal, probably similar to Azteks)
- Teyr (Draconians, might be difficult to impossible to pull off with reasonable accuracy, but insignificant enough to ignore)
- Qualinesti Goblins
(Qualinesti is mostly occupied at this time, splitting into 3 regions, held by Onyx Order, Qualinesti elves, and goblins would make most sense)

Location and types of mercenary units, just a few suggestions
- Silvanesti Longbowmen (Silvanesti, Sherwood archers)
- Qualinesti Longbowmen (Qualinesti, Sherwood archers)
- Kaolyn Bombards (Garnet, only powder artillary in the game)
- Blood Oath Archers (Abanasinia)
- Freemen (ex Knights of Solamnia in Palanthas province)
- Rogue Knights (Ex-Knights of Solamnia and Neraka, available in any Knightly province)

I would do this myself, but my understanding and aptitude with all-things-computer is pretty pitiful. I'm willing to act as a consultant (my knowledge of Dragonlance qualifies me firmly as a geek), however.

I do realize this is unlikely, but I figured I'd throw it out there, see if anyone bites.

Motep
01-28-2007, 19:54
you left out the Kenders...

adembroski
01-30-2007, 07:24
you left out the Kenders...

There's one remaining Kender nation in this time period... Hylo... but I honestly don't see kender forming a standing army, much less conquering anybody (although I suppose it's possible with the inclusion of afflicted kender).

Kender mercenaries, however, as woodsmen-type units or using sling type missile weapons might work. I think they'd work better as spies though.