PDA

View Full Version : Stig's Aztec Kamikaze Rush Army

Stig
01-29-2007, 11:31
Right this is one of the most suicidal armies I ever used. It however can work tho, and it's the only Aztec army that I used with success against an AI opponent, so I decided to try it in MP, and I won 1 game with it ... with a bit of luck as I managed to take down his general within 2 minutes of the start.

The Army:
The army consists of melee infantry only. You can choose whatever you like yourself. With 10k you will always have some money left, which I spend on Weapon Upgrades, so that my men do more damage.

Battle:
Line up all the units in 1 rank, as wide as possible. When the battle starts directly start running forwards. When in running give the men other targets, the inner 12 men of the army will bash in at the front gates, while the 4 units at both flanks run directly forward to come in from the flanks. Stay running don't slow down.
When engaged just let them do their job and you can sit it out, no difficult tactics used.

Pro's:
-Easy to use, all you have to do is run forward
-Damned lethal if you happen to come across someone who doesn't use that much cav

Con's:
-You're dead when your opponent has more then 5 cav
-You'll loose many more men then your opponent

All in all this army can work, and does work, but only if you move fast and your opponent hasn't got much cav

ElmarkOFear
01-29-2007, 13:21
When I can get some time, I will post my version of the Aztec Rush army.

RTKBarrett
01-29-2007, 16:35
Right this is one of the most suicidal armies I ever used. It however can work tho, and it's the only Aztec army that I used with success against an AI opponent, so I decided to try it in MP, and I won 1 game with it ... with a bit of luck as I managed to take down his general within 2 minutes of the start.

The Army:
The army consists of melee infantry only. You can choose whatever you like yourself. With 10k you will always have some money left, which I spend on Weapon Upgrades, so that my men do more damage.

Battle:
Line up all the units in 1 rank, as wide as possible. When the battle starts directly start running forwards. When in running give the men other targets, the inner 12 men of the army will bash in at the front gates, while the 4 units at both flanks run directly forward to come in from the flanks. Stay running don't slow down.
When engaged just let them do their job and you can sit it out, no difficult tactics used.

Pro's:
-Easy to use, all you have to do is run forward
-Damned lethal if you happen to come across someone who doesn't use that much cav

Con's:
-You're dead when your opponent has more then 5 cav
-You'll loose many more men then your opponent

All in all this army can work, and does work, but only if you move fast and your opponent hasn't got much cav

The aztecs are a great faction mate, but unfortunately they come with a price that is predictability. If u were to say pick aztecs against me in a 1v1 the factors that would run through my head immediately would be:
- Im dealing with units with high morale bonus/fear traits
- A faction with no cavalry
- A build that can easily be skirmished and outmanouvred with no trouble...

With that i myself in a 1v1 would pick a faction with high impact cavalry and skirmish units.. say spain. Forming up far back it would be no trouble for me to use 4 jinettes and 4 mounted xbows on ure flanks, causing a big mess...
By the time u would get to me, i would simply abuse the charge of several knights by repeatedly ramming them in ure sides whilst cheap schiltrons attempt to keep ure men tightened as much as possible in a formation.

As far as team games go though there is definately potential in my eyes, take this replay as an example... Myself and Melon have been messing about quite a bit lately *some say we never take anything seriously :smash: * and produced a few performances which really didnt require much in terms of skill but had MAXIMUM effect.

I myself in this replay used mongols whilst mel used aztecs, its pretty obvious what the plan was, to try and surround the enemy and use the fear/morale bonuses provided by the aztecs and the heavy charge of mongol cavalry. Ill admit the opponents werent exactly of the highest quality and that the plan in question was very predictable but still... it made for some gd fun :laugh4:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UNDEO188

Stig
01-29-2007, 17:22
I agree with you on the team games, due to the fact that they don't want to rout and do good and massive damage they can really annoy you. If the other player then bring the Cav and Musketeers you have a good and lethal combination

pike master
01-30-2007, 06:25
in high era they do have the ability as a skirmish and defensive unit if you take advantage of the 75 men archer units and low cost spearmen

RTKBarrett
01-30-2007, 15:57
in high era they do have the ability as a skirmish and defensive unit if you take advantage of the 75 men archer units and low cost spearmen

The archers units are very very easy to take out of the equation with fast cav...

Stig
01-30-2007, 15:59
The archers units are very very easy to take out of the equation with fast cav...
All the Aztecs are easy to take out with cav ~D

YellowMelon
01-30-2007, 18:40
I place a line of heavily valoured spearmen at my flank and just schiltrom, that makes cav flanking your rear an ill favoured option :)

Damn! Sorry YellowMelon. I didn't realize I was editing your instead of replying mine. I really don't think this "edit" for all thing is a very good idea. Sorry again. I will get out of your post and put it below.

ElmarkOFear
01-30-2007, 20:25
I thought I read somewhere the Schiltrom made the cav charge even more devestating. Did I misread that? I haven't tested out Shiltrom vs. Non-Schiltrom.

There! Now THAT's much better.

pike master
01-30-2007, 20:35
usually in one on one unit test this is the case but you must consider that a cav general is more powerful than a foot general and is worth several regular knights in his own right.

usually in multiplayer most players rarely have time to set up a good charge into a schiltrom but if they do they deserve the benefits but at the risk of ruining half the unit and snagging up a cav unit that could be used in the cav melee.

only a well lined up charge will smash a schiltrom and usually it can only do it in one charge if it has a general otherwise it can take several before they crack which is valuable time which could be spent doing something better with said unit.however even a well formed up charge by light horse can break spears.

but there are "other" formations of spearmen which have been found by some in other forum discussions that seem to work better versus cav but easily broken vs infantry.

Demok
01-31-2007, 05:54
see the problem with aztecs is that most othe rplayers take cav so you can just flank them and it's over.

ElmarkOFear
01-31-2007, 06:07
I agree Demok. And unfortunately, given the Aztecs lack of cav and only one missile archer unit, when somebody takes them, you KNOW they are gonna rush. There is no way to hide that fact.

If there were maps with mostly woods, then they might be a very good choice, but I am not sure if cav gets a penalty in woods or not. I know a lot of units get bonuses in woods, but I have no idea if cav also get a penalty like in STW/MTW1.

It IS fun to use in team games though, but to use it successfully is almost impossible when your opponent is of equal or greater experience than your team or has seen it before and knows how to handle it. Though I would imagine it would stand more of a chance of success if it was in the middle of a 3v3 game, with your two teammates being able to cover your flanks and throw a few units in front of any cav charges.

I have also found that, even if you rout the enemy, your units cannot chase them very well, and the enemy gets another shot at you. Also, by the time you have routed one opponent, your men are depleted in number and so fatigued they aren't of much use anymore.

I have heard from a few people, that the aztec spears are pretty good in certain army builds, but I haven't seen anyone yet that uses them. The Aztec army, from what I have seen, is mostly used for fun and not for serious matches.

pike master
01-31-2007, 06:27
it is of my opinion that the aztecs main weakness is their superior knowledge hence the syllable tecs in their name and that they were known as techs.

now as we know a technologically minded person needs time to figure out how to do something where a simpler minded person just does it. their main downfall is that they are not allowed the time in the battle to make the specialty weapons such as james t kirk used with the cane pipe, rope sulfur coal and salt peter trick with some rocks added to the end.

however as has been stated by elmo that the as techs are mostly used for fun because only a smart minded person would play for fun and play dead than play in an actual battle and die.

also todays technically minded people known as techs do not know very much about riding horses and without a car or some form of transportation they fill overwhelmed and lost. when they see the approaching cav formations they think that someone is going to offer them a ride back to civilization which is why they seem so fearless in the game in the face of a cav charge.

ElmarkOFear
01-31-2007, 07:03
LOL It took me awhile to figure out where you were heading with that post Mad Cat. Must be the Moonshine sloshing around in my skull. :)

I'm just glad you went with the "as techs" angle rather than the "A" with two "s" techs. :ahh:

Blaster
02-02-2007, 00:13
lol the problem is the enemy has more than 5 cav....
if someone play 3 or 4 battles on M2TW with normal rules will understand that 90% of the armys has around 10 cav so this tactic only works if the enemy is a noob..If the enemy doesn't take cav probably the enemy took factions like England or scotland, Scotland with theyr pikes won't give chance to aztec infatary and Scotland can take many cav too , maybe only agains England this tactic will work but even England can take many cav..