PDA

View Full Version : The Greek Cities

Bootsiuv
01-30-2007, 11:15
I thought that a "democratic" game based around the Greek Cities might be fun, so I'm seeing if anyone is interested. :idea2:

House Rules Follow:

1. We will be using RTW v. 1.5 and a bug-fixer which can be found at https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=55464 (thanx to Player1 and everyone who contributed to that BTW).

1a. Difficulty level will be VH/VH.

2. Players will be assigned according to the order which they sign up.

2a. Kleomenes of Sparta - Bootsiuv
2b. Dioynisos of Sparta - 2nd person to sign up
2c. Antigonos of Sparta - 3rd person to sign up
2d. Eumenes of Sparta - 4th person to sign up
2e. Memnon of Sparta - 5th person to sign up

Once 5 players is reached, any additional players will be considered "senators", able to vote and pass laws for the "Confederacy of Greek City-States", until a family member becomes avaliable.

Senators will be assigned as follows: the city with the highest population will recieve the first senator, and the pattern will continue down the line. This will give the largest cities, which will inevitably end up shouldering most of the economic and military burden, more clout in the senate. This may lead to shifts in territorial power when new lands are conquered, and senators are promoted to governors (which will be based on the order which players sign up).

3. In relation to what is said above, all battles led by captains will be autoresolved. If a battle involves more than one general, that battle will be played by the leading general(the one with the gold star).

4. Individual governors will have a large degree of autonomy in their lands, choosing their own building production i.e. the player is given vital information(what can be built) on their lands, and they convey their build orders to the ruling player.

5. Every 10 turns, the Governor's and Senators will meet to discuss allocation of funds, public works building projects (watchtowers and forts), and domestic and foreign policy. These Senate meetings will last 3 RL days, followed by one day to vote on proposals. The Ruling King must do their best to meet the required deadlines placed upon them by the senate or face senatorial repercussions. :smash: (King's could be elected by governors and senators after 20 game turns (10 game years), or we could go with a "first come, first serve" style of leading, where the leaders are determined by the order which they signed up for the game).

5a. Kings will rule for 20 turns in the beginning, and 10 turns when the turns begin to take an extremely long time.

5b. Kings must call an emergency senate meeting before declaring war, or immediately after war is declared. This meeting will last 2 RL days, and then various proposals can be voted on.

6. Generals in the field will be controlled by the King i.e. the ruling player will control all army movement on the campaign map, but battles will be fought by the leading general.

6a. Only a General may lead troops into foreign lands(if that General is killed the army must immediately fall back towards Greek territory, and if it is attacked before a new general reaches it, the battle must be autoresolved).

Other players who join are more than welcome to offer suggestions before we begin, or argue against something they don't like....this is a democracy, after all. :beam: I've never actually participated in one of these, but I do believe I understand the process well enough to try and get one started, but, as always, IDEAS ARE WELCOME!!

I'll postpone putting up any other threads relating to this game until I see if there is any interest in a PBeM like this.

Once 4 other players sign up (but many more are encouraged to join as well, as we'll surely have a few new characters within the first few king's reigns) we'll begin with the opening senate meeting, which will last 4 - 7 RL days. This should include drawing up a short constitution which will govern how Kings must behave and act towards the Senate, the distribution of conquered lands, proposals on opening military and diplomatic strategies, etc.

Role-playing and story-making is encouraged. (Any players who know more appropriate Greek-sounding words, as opposed to "king", "city-state", etc., are encouraged to share their knowledge):yes:

Governors and senators are also encouraged to pay special attention to their particular city-state's well-being, in order to represent the loose confederations and selfish squabbling which often took place between the city-states.

Hope to see ya in Sparta soon.:laugh4:

Bootsiuv

P.S. I won't be able to edit this post because I am a junior member, but check the thread for any updates.

Warmaster Horus
02-11-2007, 19:10
I'd be interested, except for a couple of points:
1) unit size medium, cos my comp would lag with large or huge
2) wouldn't it be possible to use a mod such as RTRPE, SPQR? Because Vanilla is kind of easy, even on VH\VH (units rout too quickly etc...)
Good idea about the Senators, but perhaps they could also control the Armies led by Captains (should they be attacked...)