PDA

View Full Version : Attacking down hill

Fenix7
01-30-2007, 23:10
I've been in lobby today trying to get few matches, but thx to the GS I was not able to have none (was trying this for 1 hour - going back now :).

In one hosted game Aggony Gawain logged and we had small discussion. Those who played VI are aware that you were in disadvantage if you were attacking you up hill. Well he mentioned that here things are vice versa. You have advantage if you ARE attacking up hill meaning that defender with better position attacking you down hill is in disadvantage position. :smash: Becaus of pikes bug. Due the fact that I most play matches on flat maps I was not aware of this at all.

CBR
01-30-2007, 23:17
Same bug was in RTW IIRC.

CBR

RTKBarrett
01-31-2007, 00:17
Out of curiosity can i ask what advantages are gained in being the player attacking uphill? are units unable to charge downwards effectively? can they not engage in melee? seems odd... this really isnt a bug, its more a case of common sense that has been totally disregarded in a game where terrain means quite alot.

CBR
01-31-2007, 00:31
The pike bug was IIRC very like the problem of jumping cavalry in early RTW days. By doing so they bypass the weapon. As pikes apparently cant raise their weapon against an enemy uphill it caused similar probs.

CBR

pike master
01-31-2007, 00:59
units fatigue faster going up hill and units going down hill go faster than units going uphill so i would think there is an advantage to uphill. albeit not as much as many expect it to.

RtkBedivere
02-01-2007, 14:21
i havent noticed this at all. Plus most players who have a hill wont move down it. They will wait for an opponents to come up it. Also archers have increased range and do more damage from elevated levels. Hills are an advantage not a disadvantage.

Dionysus9
02-01-2007, 17:36
. . . well, it wouldn't be the first time something didn't work right. I guess the allegation is that melee units are having a hard time lowering their weapons to hit units approaching below them. I haven't noticed it either, but have been playing mostly flat maps. Some testing is in order.

ElmarkOFear
02-01-2007, 23:02
I can hear my general now:

"Here comes the enemy lads! Quick. Take the low ground!"