PDA

View Full Version : Touched by Fate (A story about Macedon)

Vorian
01-31-2007, 02:36
Note: This is my first attempt to write something like this and I did it at 3:00 in the morning. Please have patience for any spelling and grammar mistakes. English is not my mother-language.

Chapter One: Man of the Hour

Macedon at 273 bC faced a grim future. At the west, mighty Pyrrus threatened to take Pella and the earth was shaking under the feet of his terrifying elephants.At the south, the Koinon was preparing for revenge. Fortunately, spies brought to King Antigonos Gonatas the first good news he had in months. Areus, king of Sparta and elected leader of the Koinon had returned from Crete with no new recruits while his son Akrotatos had left Sparta with a small garrison to hunt down some revolted slaves. Antigonos was on his way to meet Pyrrus' armies, but decided to grasp the opportunity. He immediately sent messages to Korinthos for a surprise attack to be launched. His council was against the idea, since no general was in Korinthos at the moment, and the mighty city garrison
was under the command of a young, inexperienced man, captain Pantauchos of Pharsalla, a Greek town in Thessaly. However the king accepted the gamble. It was that moment when the fate of the Hellenistic world was sealed...

Summer 272 bC
Sparta

The smell of smoke and dead bodies was everywhere in the roads of Sparta. Pantauchos covered his nose as his horse passed through the agora, where the Spartans had made their last stand. Though he didn't like it, Pantauchos had ordered the extermination of three quaters of the population. Personally, as an educated Hellene, he would prefer to leave the once-glorious city unharmed but Macedonia needed money urgently since the coffers were empty. The people of Sparta had paid the price.
Despite his easy victory however, Pantauchos knew that danger lied ahead. Akrotatos had managed to learn about his surprise attack and had returned to the city with a part of his army. The battle was much more difficult than expected and 192 Macedonians lied dead. Fortunately Akrotatos had joined them too. Now Pantauchos had to face the anger of Areus (and his army) who was marching quickly to meet with the second part of his son's army that hadn't managed to reach the city. Pantauchos didn't have any new orders since the closest Macedonian general was in Demetrias 3 weeks away. He had to make a decision...and face the consequences if he failed. At his command his tired army had gathered in the central plaza of the city. Kleon, his childhood friend and companion looked at him, he had lost his right eye during the battle. It was their first war and so far they had no luck, no luck at all.
"What's it going to be, Pantauchos?", asked Kleon.
"Are we waiting here for orders and hold as long as we can, or do we go and face them?".487 men looked at him and silently asked the same question. He looked at the soldiers. Most of them were young, few were the veterans among them. They were almost kids, just like him. He drew a big breath.
"Men, Sparta has no fortifications. We don't have time to build them either. Areus is coming and he has more men than we do. I won't lie to you, my comrades, no, my brothers. We face an almost certain death.
But we have a choice!", Pantauchos raised his voice over the scared murmurs. "Do we stay here and wait to die like rats in a stinky hole, or do we go and face the enemy and die under the sun like men, like proud Macedonians?" Pantauchos looked at his men. Nobody spoke for a moment. Then Kleon, without speaking started to smash his spear on his shield. The companion cavalry joined him and soon all the army was silently doing the same thing, no voices just wood on metal.
Tears of joy came to his face. Greeks were not allowed to cry from pain or sorrow, but they felt free to show their joy with tears.
"So you have chosen. Take your shields. If this is the end, let it be an end worth remembering."

Eurotas valley, 30 kilometers outside Sparta

A cloud of dust was rising in the air as the Koinon armies were marching to retake their lost capital. Messengers were bringing news to both armies since they hadn't merged yet. The hot summer sun, was blinding Areus while he was riding in the front.
"I am too old for this", the old king thought. "And now Akrotatos, my only son is dead." A lone scout came running toward him and threw him out of his trance.
"King Areus the enemy left Sparta and has already engaged captain Menares. He is currently trying to fight them of, but they are too many for him."
"How is this possible?"
"The Macedonian general left the city without being noticed and went straight to Menares. Both our armies outnumber him, but alone he is stronger. Apparently he had complete reports of our numbers." Areus clenched his teeth.
"Who is in command of the Macedonians? Antigonos? Alkyoneus?"
"It's a captain my lord. We don't know his name"
"My son was defeated by a nobody? I just can't accept this", Areus shouted with anger. "My fellow soldiers let us run to aid our comrades and avenge the death of our people".With a loud warcry, Areus' army moved forward.

By the time Areus arrived at the battlefield, Menares had already died and most of his army had routed. The Macedonian captain, was aware of Areus' approach and quickly pulled back and regrouped his army to fight him. Since Areus didn't have any light troops except his own bodyguard, the Macedonians engaged his phalanxes with theirs leaving him outside of the battle, unable to do anything but watch, as the two formations clashed. Leaving him isolated. The Macedonian captain was expecting this and rushed through the gap, one unit of companion cavalry a squad of Thesallian Hippeis.
Areus, saw his enemy coming at him, and anger took over. He raised his sword and galloped to meet with his son's murderer. The two cavalry formations, smashed with extreme force.

https://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9453/cavalryclashsd3.png

Clash between Areus' bodyguard and companion cavalry

Many men died in seconds, horses were screaming, men were falling down and died under the weight of horses.
Rage was giving power to old Areus. He killed two men while searching for the enemy captain .
"Where are you?", he shouted like a madman. "Who are you? Tell me your name you coward". His enemy finally appeared before him. Areus screamed and attacked him. The Macedonian captain, much younger and more agile easily defended against the old veteran and with his shield he hit him on the head. Areus fell on the ground and the next moment fell a spear running through his chest. His opponent removed his helmet.
"My name is Pantauchos, son of Iason from Pharsalla."

https://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2633/areus2ry8.png
Areus' Death

Epirotan mountains
Macedonian camp

Antigonos was worried about his southern army. He hadn't news for weeks and the rumours were running wild. His anxiety had forced him to stop his campaign against Pyrrus and wait in the mountain passes for news. At last,a tired messenger arrived one night. The war council was gathered to hear the news from the south. It was a letter from captain Pantauchos. Antigonos could remember him clearly, he was a clever young man, whose father had died in a battle against the Gaullish hordes. So he was in command of the Korinthian garrison. Antigonos knew he had ever been in a battle. He started to sweat as the messenger opened the letter and started to read.

"From captain Pantauchos Pharsalios, son of Iason, to Antigonos, son of Dimitrios, king of Macedonia.

My king, may the Gods protect you and may Nike, the godess of victory always has you under her wings. At your orders I marched against Sparta. It is my pleasure to inform you that mighty Zeus
was in our side and Sparta has fallen. In a second battle I was forced to give, the Great God of Olympus smiled on us again and we defeated the Koinon one more time. All the Peloponese peninsula is under you rule and King Areus and his son Akrotatos have gone to join their ancestors in Hades. I am waiting for orders in Sparta.
I wish you good luck on your campaign.

Your faithful servant,
Pantauchos Pharsalios."

The nobles cheered and Antigonos felt deep relief and joy. Everyone was talking about the exciting news and how they should honour this young man. Antigonos stood up and everybody felt silent.
"This young man shows a lot of potential. Thus, I decided to adopt him as my son and give him full authority. He will obey me and my heir Alkyoneus and nobody else. Send the fastest messenger to him. I want to thank my new son."

Far above the camp, an eagle, the sacred animal of Zeus was flying toward the sun. Antigonos watched the bird as it disappeared in t he deep blue of the sky. "This is a good sign", he thought.

https://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4811/manofthehouryy2.png

Fate's Hand

to be continued....stay tuned to watch as a common man evolves to the most well-known figure of the Hellenistic world. ( I don't know how it will go since I still play this campaign...I hope he doesn't die in the next battle:laugh4: )

Vorian
01-31-2007, 03:12
Next Chapter preview: The City of the Maiden

General Pantauchos Pharsalios moves against Athenai, the city of the virgin godess Athena. The exile of the Koinon from main Greece.

d'Arthez
01-31-2007, 11:58
Looks very promising. Wonder about Antigonos' plans to deal with the Epirotes, who are engaged in a war with the Romans as well.

Vorian
01-31-2007, 14:03
Chapter 2: The City of the Maiden

August 272bC
Central Peloponese, Megalopolis

Two months had passed since the fall of Sparta. The Macedonian armies were wandering freely in the peninsula, subjucating the remaining less important city-states.Pantauchos, a general now, and adopted son of the King of Macedonia himself, felt like he could do anything. Success had made him daring and his men now had complete trust on him. He had just forced the people of Megalopolis to accept Macedonian rule and now Macedonian garrisons were placed in all the important cities. His friend Kleon approached him.
"Why are you thinking, Pantauchos?", he asked. "You have been awfully silent the past hour". Pantauchos looked to the north. Somewhere in Epirus, Antigonos army was fighting the Epirotans in the mountain clashes. News had arrived yesterday of a great victory against Ptolemaios Aiakides. the Epirotan heir was forced to flee like a dog from the battlefield and hide in the mountains, leaving his army dead. Most importantly, the elephants, those incredible tools of war had perished in the battle. Pyrrhos was preparing for the big battle and was gathering his forces. Pantauchos was anxious to be there, where the action was. After his glorious victory against Areus, all he did was scare away peasants to open their gates to his army. He wanted real war.
"Tell me Kleon, what are the news from Athens?".
"Chremonides fears for the worst and he is preparing his defenses. Reports say he has gathered a big army in Athens and he has strengthened his walls. Why, what are you thinking."
"I am thinking, it's time for some action", he replied. "The Koinon is dioriented and full of fear right now. In addition, despite the loot from Sparta, the coffers are still in debt. The Epirotan front costs much money and we must find some, quick. I say we strike Athens now, before they have time to prepare themselves better." Kleon looked at his friens with sceptisism.
"Pantauchos, I think that you are too hasty. You may have been adopted by th king, but you are not his son, one disaster and you will be punished". Pantauchos laughed.
"Ok then, all I have to do is win, right?"

Autumn 272bC
Athenai

The cold, autumn sun was making the weapons of the Macedonian army glister. The siege weapons were marching forward, the men ready to climb the Athenian walls. Dust was risisng from the weels of the battering ram as it approached the gates. Flaming arrows were flying against it, setting men on fire. Others died by javelins, but they didn't stop. The men held their shield up and moved against the rain of steel that fell upon them. On the steep slopes of a hill, the rest of the Macedonian army, was waiting impatiently for the walls to fall. Pantauchos had a clear view of the city and the enemy movements inside. He could see the phalanxes inside, the skirmishers on the walls.

http://i15.tinypic.com/4dlr38i.jpg

Athens view

"This is going to be bloody", he said to Kleon. Suddendly, a moan of despair came from his troops. The battering ram was on fire, and the men abandoned it and run out of the range of the towers.
"Damn", Kleon shouted. "We are going to have trouble fighting our way through the walls". Pantauchos didn't answer as he watched his men, climb the wall and fight with the defenders. The time passed, but finally, slowly but steadily, the Macedonians started to push back the Athenians until finally they took the towers and opened the gate. The phalanxes were already there, ready to enter the city. A cry was heard throughout the city.
"The walls have fallen!".

http://i7.tinypic.com/4dvtiqt.jpg

The walls have fallen

The Athenians prayed to Athena and abandoned the gate, running to the city centre, while the men on the walls were now raining arrows on their backs. Pantauchos looked his Hetairoi and the reserve soldiers.
"It's time! March forward, for Mighty Zeus and Macedon!".

http://aycu01.webshots.com/image/7800/2002671040674788959_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002671040674788959)
For Zeus and Macedon

The men let a fierce warcry and stormed the city. Chremonides didn't have a chance. He tried to rally his men, hold of the tide of battle, but it wasn't enough. The phalanxes held the tight roads, but the Macedonian cavalry took another road and hit them from behind.The Athenians panicked and tried to run, but in vane. Old Chremonides was found after the battle under many corpses, his belly pierced by sword. Another great man had fallen and now rich Athens, was under Macedonian control.

http://aycu38.webshots.com/image/11637/2002612572862220483_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002612572862220483)

Death of a great man

Fire soon errupted as the Macedonians slaughtered the population. Respecting the city's history, Pantauchos left a portion of the population alive and allowed them to keep their riches. The Koinon now had only Rhodos, where they posed little threat. The road to Epirus, was now open. Pantauchos was now a famous general, his men called him Nikesas Athenon and Antigonos sent him a letter of praise. His legend had just begun.

http://aycu10.webshots.com/image/10689/2002600657009659443_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002600657009659443)

Fame

Vorian
01-31-2007, 14:13
Next Chapter Preview: Fall of Aiakides

Antigonos (finally) reaches Ambrakia and meets with Pyrrhos.

Aenos
01-31-2007, 15:31
Well written!

Justiciar
01-31-2007, 16:18
Excellent work! :2thumbsup:

Vorian
01-31-2007, 17:26
Chapter 3: The Fall of Aiakides

Winter 272 bC
Somewhere in Epirus, Antigonos camp

The news of the fall of Athenai, though unexpected, brought pleasure and confidence to the Northern Macedonian army. The news had arrived just in time to boost the morale of the tired Macedonians who had fought their way through the mountains for 1,5 years. The harsh winter that followed their glorious victory against Ptolemaios Aiakides, had caused many casualties and the men needed some rest. Full of confidence, Antigonos decided not to wait for the spring and moved his army to the west. A small army that was stationed in the exit of the mouintain pass was surprised and the Hetairoi quickly overrun the unprepared Akontistai killing hundreds. Left without support the Epirotan phalanxes suffered the same fate and soon the mountain was covered with corpses.

http://aycu15.webshots.com/image/10254/2003713207497717554_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003713207497717554)

Invasion of Ambrakia

This victory allowed Antigonos to bring his army to the Epirotan capital and lay siege to Pyrrhos, who was trapped like a dog in Ambrakia. Having escaped from the terrible mountains, the men rejoiced and pillaged the countryside, bringing much needed supplies to the camp. However, it was not over. Reinforcements from Epidamnos were preparing to come to Pyrrhos' aid and spring would bring more bloodshed. It was finally time, for the final battle.

Spring 271 bC
Battle of Arathos

Antigonos' army had left its camp near river Arathos and was waiting for the Epirotans in an area covered with forests. Antigonos had chosen carefully the terrain, in order to use his superior cavalry in his advantage. Hidden in various areas of the forest were two units of Thessalian Hippeis, his own son Alkyoneus and a unit of Akontistai. Antigonos with the phalanxes had stayed behind, waiting on a hill and clearly visible to the enemy. After Alkyoneus' suggestion, they had sent men forward to disrupt communication between Pyrrhos and captain Epandros. The plan had worked and the first army to appear in the horison was Epandros', only 121 men, too few for the 500 Macedonians. Instead of waiting for Pyrrhos, Epandros foolishly marched against Antigonos, only to be surpsrised as Akontistai poped out of nowhere, throwing javelins. Epandros tried to withdraw but the Macedonian cavalry charged at his back, destroying his army. 62 men managed to survive hiding in the woods. It was Pyrrhos' turn...

"My lord, Epandros is dead". Pyrrhos cursed the foolish captain.
"Why for the love of Apollo, didn't he wait for me?", he said. "Didn't he get my message?"
"My lord, no messengers have returned". Pyrrhos finally realised his opponents' plan but it was too late. Antigonos' army was standing on the hill, like he was mocking him. His son, Ptolemaios looked at him, looking afraid.
"Father, what are we going to do?", he asked.
"Nothing would have happened if you hadn't lost my elephants, Ptolemaios", he replied and his voice was full of anger. He turned to his officers. "March quickly. We need to meet the enemy as fast as we can, to save the rest of that idiot's army". Epirotan phalanxes broke formation and started running through the woods, while Pyrrhos and his son rode forward. The ground was difficult and Pyrrhos was forced to leave the safety of his phalangites in order to find a path for his horses. This was what Antigonos had been waiting for. His army left the hill and moved towards the phalanxes while Antigonos started riding toward Pyrrhos. Full of anger, Pyrrhos rode top meet him. Then, from the forest appeared Alkyoneus with his Hetairoi and the Thessalians and charged from the right. Pyrrhos tried to turn his men, but didn't make it in time and the cavalry formations reached one another. Chaos followed as men and horses died. Ptolemaios, facing again the enemy that had humiliated him, now fought without thinking, trying to find Alkyoneus.

http://aycu39.webshots.com/image/10358/2003799839037164684_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003799839037164684)

Cavalry Chaos

Meanwhile Antigonos managed to reach them and threw his tired horses in the battle. Ptolemaios tried to find his father to protect him, but couldn't see him anywhere. Then he saw, under a grey horse, there was a body dressed in red. The head was under the animal's body but Ptolemaios knew, it was Pyrrhos Aiakides and nobody had realised it yet. He jumped from his horse trying to salvage his father's body. But the horse was too heavy to be moved. He raised his head to shout for help and saw a blade coming towards him.
"By the gods..", he shouted before he lost his head. A cry of joy rised from the Hetairoi. The Epirotan bodyguards panicked and run away, leaving the Macedonians free, to help their phalanxes and slaughter the Epirotan infantry.

http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/9342/2003719758633605100_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003719758633605100)

Death of a heir

http://aycu16.webshots.com/image/10655/2003746466393439228_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003746466393439228)

Pyrrhos' End

Exhausted after the battle, Antigonos removed his bloody armour.
"This is a great day, my son", he said to Alkyoneus.
"A great day indeed father", he replied. "The Aiakides have fallen". Ambrakia opened its gates the next day. Antigons, feeling merciful, didn't punish the population. He had enough money now, anyway since his adopted son had conquered all southern Greece. Epidamnos, isolated and with a small garrison, would fall next year.

http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/11032/2003749805722795128_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003749805722795128)

Fall of Ambrakia

Two weeks later

Before sunrise, a small triere approached the port of Taras. Inside, were a few refuges of the Epirotan nobility, filthy and hungry. They were taken to Helenos Aiakides who was waiting for them in the governor's palace, sleepy since it was till night. Alexandros, the leader of the small group approached Helenos and bowed before him.
"I bring terrible news Helenos. You are now the King of Epirus. You are the last Aiakides". Helenos turned pale as he realised what had happened. He rised and approached the nobleman who was crying on the floor.
"Rise Alexandros", he said. "I promise you, we shall have our revenge.

http://aycu21.webshots.com/image/10020/2003704301548635039_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003704301548635039)

The last Aiakides

Next Chapter: Hubris and Nemesis

Pantauchos' youthful arrogance, brings his first defeat from the Aitoloi. Apollo delivers punishment.

So any comments? :beam:

d'Arthez
01-31-2007, 17:59
Keep it up.

Good to see that Pantauchos does indeed lose a fight. AARs with only victories tend to be quite boring.

Vorian
01-31-2007, 18:23
I am currently cheating a little in my campaign (shortening building times) because I want things to speed up. I can't wait 30 years cause poor Pantauchos will be an old man with arthritis and swallen leaver from drinking too much (he always gets "occasional drinker" traits in every city:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: )

Aenos
01-31-2007, 20:47
My goodness! *applauds* Three updates within a day's time? :2thumbsup:

Vorian
02-01-2007, 21:47
Chapter 3: Hubris and Nemesis.

July 271 bC
Athenai

They say Athenai can change the way a man sees the world. In Pantauchos' case, one year in the city had changed him a lot. Previously surrounded only by harsh soldiers, now Pantauchos had added in his retinues people like librarians, comedians, inventors, even the famous Ariston of Chios, who had decided to join the young man in his adventurous journey. Even more important was the fact that Pantauchos had finally married, a beautiful, yet somewhat naive and ignorant wife, named Alkmene, daughter of an important Athenian family. Alkmene, proved to be quite fertile as she gave birth to a healthy and strong son, Herakleon after the legendary Herakles. In the legend, Herakles’ mother was named Alkmene, so Pantauchos though of it as an appropriate name. The only stain in Pantauchos’ life was Phaidra, his mother-in-law. A distant cousin of Chremonides himself, Phaidra loathed Pantauchos and tried to make his life miserable. The constant pressure from this evil woman, made Pantauchos to travel around the city a lot, meeting people who were praising him, in order to gain his favour. All this did no good to the man’s character and Kleon repeatedly scolded him about his arrogance and warned about Nemesis, the punishment of Gods.. One night, a message came from Antigonos, of his grand victory against Pyrrhos and the fall of Ambrakia. Pantauchos organized a feast to celebrate the happy news. There, while the guests were under the influence of the sweet Athenian wine, the goddess of discord stroke hard.

http://aycu11.webshots.com/image/11610/2000034651021005495_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000034651021005495)

Results of Athenian Lifestyle

“So, now that Antigonos has defeated the Epirotans”, said a young man, named Aimon, “only the Aitoloi resist to Makedonia” . Kleon made a grimace. He didn’t like the stupid Corinthian noble, nor the influence he had on Pantauchos.
“Antigonos will decide what to do with the Aitoloi, when the time comes”, he answered. Aimon let a drunk smile.
“Antigonos is getting old, we all know that. He had to fight two years just to pass through the Epirotan mountains, while Pantauchos conquered all southern Greece in a year”. Pantauchos smiled to Aimon.
“Thank you, my friend. I am sure that the king will soon send me an order to march to Thermon. I can’t think of anyone more suitable for the job”. He ordered for more wine.
“The Aitoloi have many riches, since they control the Delphoi temple”, replied Kleon. “They have a massive garrison in Thermon. If we attack them, we will need to leave too few men in our garrisons here. It’s too soon to think about any attack yet.”
“Nonsense”, said Aimon. “I bet that Pantauchos could do it with his Hetairoi alone. We can recruit many mercenaries anyway. This way, we leave enough garrisons back.”
“Mercenaries need money. Are you suggesting we use the King’s money to attack Thermon without orders?”
“We can always give him back to him, once we take Thermon’s riches.”, he turned to Pantauchos. “So, are you up to the task?”
“Pantauchos, don’t do anything stupid”, Kleon warned.
“Kleon, you hurt my feelings. You don’t think I am capable of the task?”, Pantauchos asked.
“No, but”
“That’s enough. We will attack Thermon. We leave tomorrow.” Kleon looked at his friend and didn’t recognize him.
“As you wish.”

Thermon

http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/10066/2000087354385264751_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000087354385264751)

Work of Ares

The Aitoloi had put up with much more resistance than Pantauchos had expected. His men had managed to break through the silly wooden walls, but the Aitoloi had fought with ferociousness to defend their homes. Pantauchos had to throw all his units to the battle, and himself had been forced to fight for hours. When five hours had passed and he still hadn’t pushed the Aitoloi to the city center and half his men lied dead, he realized that Kelon was right all along. Suddnendly, his mercenaries, decided to withdraw and the Aitoloi pushed forward.
“Pantauchos, we must retreat”, shouted Kleon from his right. Pantauchos made up his mind.
“Withdraw! Everyone pull back”, he shouted. At that moment a javelin came out of bowhere and hit Kleon to the chest.
”Kleon!”, shouted Pantauchos with despair but his childhood friend fell to the ground without saying a word and his body disappeared from his sight. Cursing Aimon and himself for his foolishness, Pantauchos gathered the rest of his men and lead them out of the city. Before the Aitoloi had a chance to hunt them, he took his men and retreat from the city. Smoke was rising to the sky, as the devastation caused by the attack was terrible. But despite their casualties, the Aitoloi had won.

http://aycu05.webshots.com/image/8724/2000065110677855522_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000065110677855522)

Fruits of Arrogance

A few hours later, in a temporary camp, Pantauchos gathered his army.
“Where is Aimon?”, he shouted but Aimon was nowhere to be found. “He was in charge of the mercenaries. Where is he?”
“Sir, Aimon is dead,” said one of his officers. “He was the first to flee. He was trapped by Aitolian Akontistai and slaughtered”. Anger took over Pantauchos. Take your shields. We wil recruit more mercenaries and attack again. I dare not face Antigonos without a victory and I will take revenge for the death of my men.
“Sir, we spent all the money already”.“Then I will use my own funds for this. I own it to Kleon.”

Thermon 368bC

The men said that in the second siege of Thermon, Pantauchos was seeking death. He rode in the front like a madman and fought like a lion. He killed the Aitolian leader with his hands, and raised the Macedonian flag on the city plaza himself. After all Aitolian defenders were dead, however, he spared the population that had fought so bravely and didn’t harm them. He also adopted, one of his officers who had saved him from certain death during the battle. During Kleon’s funeral, Pantauchos sweared never to be arrogant again and built a shrine to honor his dead friend. It was a new beginning as the most famous genral of Makedonia finally realized the cost of victory.

http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/11306/2000046539114433057_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000046539114433057)

Righteous Anger (I love EB traits and retinues. Notice the evil mother-in-law retinue on the left. it inspired me for the beginning of this chapter)

Next Chapter Preview: Eyes to the East

A quick overview of the next few years, as Pantauchos marches to the north-east and see the Black Sea for the first time. Taken directly from the famous Greek (EB) historian Leotichides' book: "Deeds of a Great Man"

Ower
02-02-2007, 11:40
Excelent work, I realy enjoy the reading:2thumbsup:

Vorian
02-02-2007, 18:25
Chapter 4: Eyes to the East

The years that followed the fallf Thermon were marked by a rapid expansion of the Makedonian kingdom. King Antigonos, feeling his age, decided to launch a final campaign and conquered the barbaric town Serdike. He also travelled in the harsh mountains, creating forts and watch towers, aware of the awakening of the Getai and their movements to the south. Pantauchos Pharsalios, on the other hand, lead his loyal troops in Thrace and defeated the king of Odryssai, Virsuccios. Despite his fierce resistance, Virsuccios never stood a chance facing a well-trained and experienced Makedonian army with a size twice the size of his own troops. Tylis fell after a quick battle. Virsuccios army was killed to the last and and the people of Tylis were sold as slaves.
Without rest and despite a few problems with his health, Pantauchos could "smell" the weakness of nearby Byzantion.The Byzantine strategos, Aidesios put up with a fair fight but it was useless and the old Megarean colony was soon under the iron grasp of Makedonia. Pantauchos spared the population and only occupied the city, but more trouble appeared from the east. The king of Pontos, a semi-hellenisede barbarian was allied with Byzantion and declared war to Makedonia. Despite Pantauchos' efforts, Pontos refused to make peace. In oprder to "persuade" them, Pantauchos marched to Nikaia and sieged it. It was not long however, until a massive Pontic army under the command of the Pontic heir himself, Ariobarzanes. Pantauchos retreated but Ariobarzanes' army managed to cut their retreat in a beautiful area covered with farms and crops ready to be harvested. After the battle of Nikaia, this place was called "The fields of Ares".

http://aycu34.webshots.com/image/8193/2004183536802361608_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004183536802361608)

Siege of Tylis

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/10533/2004153212949538380_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004153212949538380)

Obvious Outcome

http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/10922/2004180944676297649_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004180944676297649)

Byzantine expedition

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/10533/2004129156309372974_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004129156309372974)

Victory

Next Chapter: Fields of Ares

Note"I am speeding up things cause major events in the near future are much more exciting...Hope you enjoy :book:

Vorian
02-05-2007, 16:43
Bad news. I messed up a little with my files and I lost my saved games.:wall:

So this thread is dead...:no:

d'Arthez
02-05-2007, 18:51
Sorry to hear that. It would have been quite interesting. Any plans for a second attempt?

Vorian
02-06-2007, 03:32
Nay, not at the moment. I am currently just trying out factions I haven't played yet (Arverni, Rome). Maybe after 0.85 comes out, I will start one about the KH.

Digby Tatham Warter
02-06-2007, 14:21
Good work while it lasted Vorian, thanks for the read!