PDA

View Full Version : Spartan merc mod, v1.0

Oleo
02-01-2007, 14:19
Updated to v1.2, which should work with 0.81a. This will not work in old saved games, only in games started after installation

Following up on TA's idea in this thread:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=78590

Here is a small mod for EB 0.80 (and 0.802) that adds a spartan mercenary unit to the game. The unit is recruitable quite often around the area of Sparta, a bit more rare in the rest of Greece and very rarely around Syracuse and Alexandria, the south of Italy, the west of Anatolia/Asia-Minor.

Here you can see them on the battlefield, they do not look like the KH-spartans, but have a different model, which also results in them using their swords as primary weapon:
https://img100.imageshack.us/img100/8434/spartanmerccw4.th.jpg (https://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spartanmerccw4.jpg)

Download:
http://www.axifile.com?1680026

Wait a few seconds for the download link to appear on that website.

Alternative download location:

http://rapidshare.com/files/20188247/spartan_merc_mod.rar.html

Installation:
The rar-file contains a folder 'EB' with all the files and correct folder structure.

Simply extract the rar-file in to your rtw-folder, default: C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War. There should already be an EB-folder in that location. Your RAR-program (Winrar most likely) will ask whether it can overwrite some files now.

I did not include any original files so you'll have to backup the same files as the ones in the rar-file if you want to uninstall, or try the EB-installers repair option for uninstalling.

Brightblade
02-01-2007, 15:47
Just in time for my new Koinon campaign :)

Yay! Sparta to have spartans in it permanently!!

Thanks!

Bava
02-01-2007, 15:48
Thanks a lot, Oleo!

Spartans for my mak army, yiha! :charge:

P.S. Did you make the unit cards, too? If yes, nicely done :bow:

Brightblade
02-01-2007, 17:08
How often are these units recruitable around Sparta? Playing my KH campaign I have not been able to see them on the list yet... I wonder how often the AI will recruit them as the Maks and Epirotes love to recruit merc pezhetairoi :)

Oleo
02-01-2007, 18:19
They should be available about every 5-7 turns around Sparta.
Approximately every 10-20 turns in the rest of Greece, depending on distance from Sparta.
Approximately 15-25 for Asia minor.
20-30 for Italy, Syracuse, Alexandria.

I think you have to start a new campaign after installing though, I dont think it is savegame compatible.

Did you make the unit cards, too? If yes, nicely done

Yes, thank you.

Brightblade
02-01-2007, 18:53
Omg. new campaign... and I was doing so well... :S

Oleo
02-01-2007, 19:13
I dont think this is worth starting all over for, you know :laugh4:.

:sweatdrop:

Brightblade
02-01-2007, 21:08
Nah, I was playing VH/H as the Greeks and two things...

one, Spartans should have at least a standard hoplite inferior to the current one in game, even if it's equivalent statistically to the classical hops or the haploi... I mean, it adds so much to having Sparta anyway.

And second, on VH/H the AI bonuses are ridiculous... takes me 2-3 haplois to kill 1 of theirs and then heavy losses...

so now I can go broke recruiting the spartates (I just did) and have them defend Sparta:)

by the way, we should have Athenian and Corinthian hoplites too!
=)

Maybe we can work on a city-specific hoplite mod together..

Sdragon
02-01-2007, 21:33
Why have a Spartan hoplite unit that is the same as the other hoplites and waste a unit slot? Just recruit some regular hoplites from Sparta, they would still be Spartans right? Do the same with Athens. Didn't Corinth have a hoplite unit already or were they taken out in 0.8 in favour of the classic hoplite?

Teleklos Archelaou
02-01-2007, 22:22
It's not the same. The whole idea happened because we had included a more richly adorned spartan unit in the build, but it wasn't implemented. We had toned it down a good deal and put it in as a regular unit just for the KH. Actually, there is probably another skin lying around somewhere that is even more richly adorned - with engravings on the greaves for one, and some other stuff. In the mod it was decided not to have a spartan merc unit - some people wanted one though, so it's a good idea for a minimod (for now - till all unit space is gone).

Gazius
02-01-2007, 23:17
Interesting, I'll have to try this out, but why no recruitment around Carthage? I thought Spartans had served Kart-Hadast as well?

adishee
02-02-2007, 00:09
Would be nice if you could recruit Thebian hoplites too. Would also be cool to get some Corinth-specific Thorakitai, the ones that stood against the Romans for a while. It would just be asthetic.

Brightblade
02-02-2007, 00:14
Yeah, I'm just being greedy I guess after seeing this beautiful Spartan Merc model..

Yeah, problem is Thebes was crushed by Alexandros as an example, like Persepolis and some other cities... Tyre, for another. The mod reflects that by the cities being noticeably absent. Great shame, though historical accuracy warrants the decisions the team has made.

KH has got to be one of my favorite underdog Hellenic factions... just wish there was a way to elongate the Iphikratian hoplite spears a bit just as the description reads to be on par with Deuteroi and Pezhetairoi. I love pushing matches! "Erugh eurrrrr eurrrrrr, wahhhh!" Gotta love ceaseless male grunting.

That didn't sound so well.

paullus
02-02-2007, 05:42
just wish there was a way to elongate the Iphikratian hoplite spears a bit just as the description reads to be on par with Deuteroi and Pezhetairoi. I love pushing matches! "Erugh eurrrrr eurrrrrr, wahhhh!" Gotta love ceaseless male grunting.

That didn't sound so well.

No, it didn't...but its quite the interesting idea, and honestly, who doesn't love pushing matches?:wall: <-- that's supposed to be a pushing match...

and my 2 cents on Spartiate merc recruitment: put 'em in lakonia, the peloponnese, krete, and at antioch and alexandreia, with a nice low refresh rate.

Teleklos Archelaou
02-03-2007, 16:32
This is the skin I was looking for. The first one that got toned down more before it became the one you are looking at now in the minimod.

https://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/keravnos/spartanv19dz.jpg

I don't know who has it though, the artist, Agart, isn't active in EB anymore as far as I know.

Oleo
02-03-2007, 16:58
Wow, thats awesome!

Sdragon
02-03-2007, 19:39
Good lord. His kit looks more expensive than what most generals have. I see why he was toned down so much for the recruitables.

Watchman
02-04-2007, 17:32
:pimp: Spartan bling-bling ! :rtwyes:

-Praetor-
02-13-2007, 02:05
Lovely skin.

(ARGH!!!!, my eyes!!!!!!!!!) :grin:

Oleo
02-18-2007, 21:05
Updated the opening post with a file that should work with 0.81.

Dooz
02-18-2007, 22:05
Hey O, is the unit in the mod the same as the one TA posted? Or is it a less decorated version?

Oleo
02-19-2007, 13:35
The unit in the mod is somewhere in between the normal spartan and the one TA posted (richer than the normal one, less than the one he posted).

oudysseos
02-19-2007, 16:20
I have installed the mod but I don't seem to get any mercs- I did try a new campaign and waited 5 or 6 turns. I tried as KH and as the Macks, trying to recruit in Lakonia itself. Are there any other steps to take besides copying the files over?

Oleo
02-19-2007, 17:51
They should be available around Sparta in 5 -7 turns. It only works in a campaign started after installing.

When you unzipped, did it ask whether it could overwrite some files?

Edit: I just tested it on a KH campaign and it does work for me, I got one unit after 6 turns.

Grand Lord of Poop~
02-19-2007, 20:09
so why didn't the EB team include spartans??

Foot
02-19-2007, 20:18
so why didn't the EB team include spartans??

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1408768&postcount=1

Foot

Teleklos Archelaou
02-19-2007, 20:22
We did include the skin/model, but we did not think the richer version of them justified taking up a merc slot (unit space and model space is at a premium in the mod). We've got too much else we want to add. But I suggested this route since the texture is included already in the build. It's really a perfect minimod as long as oleo keeps it updated for the current builds.

Gazius
02-19-2007, 23:34
What would I edit so that I can recruit these guys in carthago as well for every 10 years or so?

Dooz
02-20-2007, 02:58
Is there any way to get those uber-rich looking Spartans TA posted, or are they forever lost?

Oleo
02-20-2007, 17:39
What would I edit so that I can recruit these guys in carthago as well for every 10 years or so?

-Make a backup of ...\eb\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_mercenaris.txt
- Then open that file
-look for Carthage region (zeugitana, see: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1022202&postcount=4):

pool Zeugitana
regions Zeugitana
unit greek infantry misthophoroi hoplitai, exp 0 cost 2405 replenish 0.14 - 0.19 max 1 initial 0
unit hellenistic infantry misthophoroi phalangitai, exp 0 cost 3511 replenish 0.15 - 0.2 max 1 initial 0
unit hellenistic infantry thureophoroi mercenary, exp 0 cost 2380 replenish 0.12 - 0.21 max 1 initial 0
unit greek skirmisher peltastai mercenary, exp 0 cost 2410 replenish 0.14 - 0.24 max 2 initial 0
unit greek cavalry mistophoroi hippeis, exp 0 cost 3976 replenish 0.12 - 0.22 max 2 initial 0
unit iberian infantry scutarii merc, exp 0 cost 3318 replenish 0.1 - 0.22 max 2 initial 0

and add:

unit hellenistic infantry spartiateshoplitai mercenary, exp 1 cost 3100 replenish 0.02 - 0.03 max 1 initial 0

replenish 0.02-0.03 means they'll be recuitable every 33 (=1/0.03) - 50 (=1/0.02) turns

-save and start a new campaign.

fallen851
03-09-2007, 09:10
This work for 0.81a? I haven't checked it out yet...

Oleo
03-09-2007, 13:51
I havent had time to make the changes to the 0.81a files yet, Ill have some time this weekend.

I dont know which files have been adapted by the 0.81a patch, but I am pretty sure edu or dmb is one of them, so the mod probably wont work yet.

Watchman
03-09-2007, 16:26
Copy-pasting the relevant entries into the 0.81a text files isn't terribly difficult though. I use the Agart spartan skin for the KH bodyguards myself, on the grounds that royal guards without a fair bit of bling thrown in just aren't trying. :pimp:

Oleo
03-09-2007, 17:13
I found the time to do this this afternoon, the link in the first post is updated to a version for 0.81a.

Domitius Ulpianus
03-12-2007, 19:05
I would like to replace the normal Spartiates Hoplitai unit currently in the EB mod for the Super-rich skin Teleklos posted here. Is that possible? what should I do to get that super skin for my regular Spartiates Hoplitai? and if I do the change would it be save-compatible? Thanks a lot.

Oleo
03-12-2007, 19:46
I would like to replace the normal Spartiates Hoplitai unit currently in the EB mod for the Super-rich skin Teleklos posted here. Is that possible? what should I do to get that super skin for my regular Spartiates Hoplitai? and if I do the change would it be save-compatible? Thanks a lot.

I think all you need to is this:

Go to your install folder\eb\data and make a backup of descr_model_battle.txt and then open this file.

Find this section:

; Hellenistic infantry - Hoplitai Spartiates

type hellenistic_infantry_spartiateshoplitai
skeleton fs_o_f_spearman ;combat spear
indiv_range 40
texture greek_cities, eb/data/models_unit/textures/EBUNIT_SPW_GREEK_SPARTAN_HOPLITE_GREEK.TGA
model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/ebunit_SPW_unit_greek_spartan_hoplite_high.cas, 15
model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/ebunit_SPW_unit_greek_spartan_hoplite_med.cas, 30
model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/ebunit_SPW_unit_greek_spartan_hoplite_low.cas, 40
model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/ebunit_SPW_unit_greek_spartan_hoplite_lowest.cas, max
model_sprite greek_cities, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_spartiateshoplitai_all.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

and change the 5 instances of ebunit_SPW_unit_greek_spartan_hoplite(_greek):

; Hellenistic infantry - Hoplitai Spartiates

type hellenistic_infantry_spartiateshoplitai
skeleton fs_o_f_spearman ;combat spear
indiv_range 40
texture greek_cities, eb/data/models_unit/textures/EBUNIT_AGART_HELLENISTIC_INFANTRY_SPARTAN.TGA
model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/EBUNIT_AGART_HELLENISTIC_INFANTRY_SPARTAN_high.cas, 15
model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/EBUNIT_AGART_HELLENISTIC_INFANTRY_SPARTAN_med.cas, 30
model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/EBUNIT_AGART_HELLENISTIC_INFANTRY_SPARTAN_low.cas, 40
model_flexi eb/data/models_unit/EBUNIT_AGART_HELLENISTIC_INFANTRY_SPARTAN_lowest.cas, max
model_sprite greek_cities, 60.0, eb/data/sprites/hellenistic/ebsprite_hellenistic_infantry_spartiateshoplitai_all.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

Domitius Ulpianus
03-13-2007, 02:33
Thanks a lot Oleo, it did work...there is only a small problem the models are using a sword...so I guess I can't use them anyway...too bad they look fantastic...but quite weird with the sword/spear animation :no:

In any case thanks a lot!!!

Dooz
03-13-2007, 04:30
Could you post a screenshot in-game perchance? I want to know if it's exactly the one TA posted, and if it is I just want to see it. ~:)

Domitius Ulpianus
03-13-2007, 17:04
Could you post a screenshot in-game perchance? I want to know if it's exactly the one TA posted, and if it is I just want to see it. ~:)

Sorry but I already reverted the change because the skin uses a sword with a spear animation and it looks awkward, but it is the one TA posted. The skin is really gorgeus.

Oleo
03-13-2007, 18:37
Thanks a lot Oleo, it did work...there is only a small problem the models are using a sword...so I guess I can't use them anyway...too bad they look fantastic...but quite weird with the sword/spear animation :no:

In any case thanks a lot!!!

Ah I forgot about the fact that this model has its weapons swapped from the other one. It can be easily fixed if I remember correctly (I am rather tired right now, so I might have forgotten something).

all you have to do (apart from the other changes) is change the skeleton line:

old:

skeleton fs_o_f_spearman

new:

skeleton fs_swordsman, fs_o_f_spearman

Their primary weapon will be a sword and their secondary weapon a spear and they should work properly.

Could you post a screenshot in-game perchance? I want to know if it's exactly the one TA posted, and if it is I just want to see it.

this model will be the one you can see in post 1 of this thread, not the model from post 15.

Domitius Ulpianus
03-14-2007, 01:07
ohh sweeeet...back to editing !

Toad_Licker
03-14-2007, 08:09
hey, i was refered to this site because i too was looking for a new spartan model. i have read this thread and have one question...

after transfering the skin into the mod and changing the weapon animation as stated, is there a way to have them use spear first and sword second?

Makr
03-14-2007, 13:19
Hey....just installed the mod and the new spartans look great!

Just one question, I noticed that when they use their spear, it looks much better than the 'original' spartans spear.....as in, it is much shorter and just better looking.

I don't understand the first thing about skins, etc, but is it possible to change the other 'spear' units to look like this new merc unit?

Oleo
03-14-2007, 14:59
hey, i was refered to this site because i too was looking for a new spartan model. i have read this thread and have one question...

after transfering the skin into the mod and changing the weapon animation as stated, is there a way to have them use spear first and sword second?

I think you'll have to remodel the unit for that.

Hey....just installed the mod and the new spartans look great!

Just one question, I noticed that when they use their spear, it looks much better than the 'original' spartans spear.....as in, it is much shorter and just better looking.

I don't understand the first thing about skins, etc, but is it possible to change the other 'spear' units to look like this new merc unit?

You'd have to make new skins for all those units to do that.

Makr
03-14-2007, 16:23
Okay, so that's why other hoplites spears are really long and look kind of off balance in their hands?

Well reskinning ain't gonna happen :) Thanks for the feedback.

Watchman
03-14-2007, 22:38
Depends on what you mean by "unbalanced". The Greek dory - and presumably most similar fighting-spears around the world, since the practical demands were the same - were balanced to be grasped about 1/3 of the total lenght of ca. 2.5 meters from the butt, far as I know.

Lysander13
03-15-2007, 03:10
Oh man...This is just too good...Spartan Mercs??...I wish i would have seen this thread before i started my current Mak campaign. The idea of seeing Spartan Mercs crush an enemy flank alongside the Hetaroi or the Hypaspistai may be way too sexy to pass on.

Toad_Licker
04-05-2007, 01:36
Im interested in using these new spartan models as the bodyguard of the greek generals unforuantly im really bac at computers and dont know how to mod the needed files so i was wondering if anyone had done the same and was able to give me those files?

thanks

Spartan that says "NI!"
06-08-2010, 17:33
Hello, I want to download this awsome mod but both of the download links are broken...
Could you please help me?

Ibn-Khaldun
06-08-2010, 17:44
Considering that this thread is 3 years old I doubt you get any response from the creator of this minimod. Especially because he was also active 3 years ago!

Spartan that says "NI!"
06-08-2010, 21:09
Well does anybody have this mod installed or just has the files?
It would be divine if someone would share this mod with me and send it to me via e-mail or something.

Ludens
06-09-2010, 14:06
Keep in mind that the mod was made for EB 0.81, and does not appear to have been updated. Even if you get the files, you still need to implement the changes manually in the current version of EB.

tupan
07-29-2010, 12:11
It seems that both of the links you provided are not working.
Could you please post a working link because I would really like this mod for my new Macedonia campaign.

Thanks in advance!