PDA

View Full Version : 4 Max Cav + 2 HA? (6 total+gen)

Dionysus9
02-02-2007, 21:41
Given the charge stats, click behind, etc, I'm wondering if we shouldn't adopt a rather extreme limit on cav. (Oh I can here the wailing and gnashing of teeth already). I think I'm going to start limiting the games I host to 4 max cav + 2 horse archers (not including general). This would be a bit more historically accurate and would restore ranged units and infantry (even axes and billmen) to some degree of usefulness. Plus it would be fun!

This is your chance to talk me out of it.

What say you?

Dionysus9
02-02-2007, 22:52
on second thought....this may imbalance some of the eastern factions that are HA heavy.... anyone have thoughts on that?

t1master
02-02-2007, 23:51
it would put more emphasis on infantry, but would the 4 heavies still be too much with the push through?

can the infantry push through as well?

maybe 8 cav total including ha and general units for the eastern factions bachus.

i think not playing the game with the exploits would be better, but that is not gonna happen.

hopefully the patch will fix it.

pike master
02-03-2007, 04:15
wait till the patch. it wont be much longer.

Dionysus9
02-03-2007, 19:07
I've heard that before...:inquisitive:

YellowMelon
02-03-2007, 19:57
I think if there is a limit put around 10, that makes all of the factions similarly usable and balanced, but atm most strategies involve quite a bit of skirmishing and require a diverse use of cavalry. If you limit it at six, it will favour the western factions with better archers/gunpowder.

TexRoadkill
02-19-2007, 10:37
I limit all Cav units to 4 max and it makes the battle a lot more strategic.

Cheetah
02-19-2007, 11:10
I think it is a matter of taste. If you prefer the cav heavy skirmishing, harrassing style then play without rules. If you want to play with inf heavy armies then play with max cav rules. It is true though that max cav rules favour western factions and disfavour eastern ones that rely on cav, HA heavy armies.
For any kind of competitive (tourney) play (and tourney rules) I would wait for the patch.

Orda Khan
02-19-2007, 11:20
And you'd expect 4 max cav from a Mongol army?

.........Orda

Tsar Simeon
02-19-2007, 14:54
8 max cav including HA seems to make the games pretty ballanced.

Stig
02-19-2007, 15:35
And you'd expect 4 max cav from a Mongol army?

.........Orda
Actually it's pretty fun, you won't beat Spain, Venice, Milan or France on All Era with it, but it's good fun

pike master
02-19-2007, 20:27
mongols werent all horse archers and heavy cavalry. although their mounted raids could defeat large armies. they always had a slower moving army with infantry and siege engines for attacking cities. cannons and special ballistae type weapons could not be built on the spot but had to be transported.

well lets just wait to see what 1.2 brings itll be here this month since that is what they said and i trust them:)

Dionysus9
02-28-2007, 05:48
. . . . dont forget Julius Ceaser trusted Brutus . . . I think I'll take the "wait and see" approach ;)

(as if any of us has a choice)

Gawain of Orkeny
02-28-2007, 11:11
Ive always favored a 7 cav limit. I dont think you need to put a limit on ha if you limit them to 7 cav. I could live with a 4 ha limit however.