PDA

View Full Version : map error help

curiousepic
02-05-2007, 04:29
Hi, I'm working on the map for the A Song of Ice and Fire mod. I'm actually rebuilding original maps made by someone else. In doing so, I've broken them somehow, and I've spent about a week now trying to sort them out unsuccessfully.

I have two questions. But before getting into them, let me assure you that all of the common problems are nonexistent, to my knowledge (this is actually my first time editing a TW map). All RGB values match up to the text files (no text files were edited from the original working map, btw), no settlements touch region borders, no settlements are placed on mountains, etc. etc. etc.

First of all, at various stages of bughunting, I've had both unspecified errors as well as having, after actually getting into the game with no error, it sending me back to the campaign menu after starting a campaign. I've narrowed down the unspecified error to the heights file, which is bizarre given the file's simplicity. I'm very sure I have only a shade of blue for my water, and only grayscale for the heights. Does anyone know of any kind of complication this file would have to cause an unspecified error?

Secondly, when I flatten out the heights file and actually get into the game proper, and it boots me to the campaign menu after trying to start a game, it gives me these errors in the log. Can anyone help me out with these?

20:11:46.788 [system.rpt][always] CPU: SSE2
20:11:46.788 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Dec 5 2006 version development ===
20:11:46.804 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack20:11:46.804 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
20:11:46.804 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
20:11:46.804 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
20:11:46.819 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
20:11:46.819 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
20:11:50.600 [script.err] [error] Script Error in ASOIAF/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1729, column 95
unit(GR Ballista) does not match up to the ownership for faction(byzantium)
20:11:50.600 [script.err] [error] Script Error in ASOIAF/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1749, column 95
unit(GR Catapult) does not match up to the ownership for faction(byzantium)
20:11:50.600 [script.err] [error] Script Error in ASOIAF/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 1754, column 95
unit(GR Ballista) does not match up to the ownership for faction(byzantium)
(etc for many more siege units)...
20:12:05.163 [script.err] [error] Script Error in ASOIAF/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 59, column 12
could not create settlement at script line 59.

I've made triple sure this settlement it refers to can be placed, to no avail.

Thanks from the ASOIAF team in advance!

FrauGloer
02-06-2007, 11:11
Err, not to sound foolish, but did you delete your map.rwm file? I remember having a similar error once because I forgot to delete this file after changing the map tgas.

curiousepic
02-06-2007, 17:04
yep

curiousepic
02-07-2007, 01:16
This is beyond infuriating. Hours sunk into this map and no progress, beyond narrowing it down to the continent outline of the heights file or the regions file. The second I change these to match what I want, it gives me the "could not create settlement at script line 59" error.

Remember, I'm working off of a set of files that work perfectly, the only things I'm changing are the land's outline, region borders and settlement locations.

I've scoured all the other files clean of anything that could possibly give any errors, heights and region are all that's left. It's not port locations, it's not settlement locations on invalid terrain, it's not settlement locations bordering other provinces, it's not wrong image sizes, it's not coordinates in descr_stat.txt

...WTF!?!?!?

http://oninran.calradia.com/map_regions.PNG
http://oninran.calradia.com/map_heights.PNG

Ilsamir Lord
02-07-2007, 02:49
Our problems are identical Curious. This error must be based on the same thing.

Beautiful map by the way!

curiousepic
02-08-2007, 21:25
Thanks, though the credit goes to George R.R. Martin, author of the novels

So I've played around a little more, and (from the original working files) changed only a little bit of the landform, in heights, ground types, and regions. Doing only this causes the line 59 error.

I'm thinking there's a possibility that I'm not resizing the files correctly. My current process is, when going from small to large, I resize x2 (nearest neighbor of course), then add 1 pixel to the top and right side of the canvas. when going from large to small, I do the same in reverse, I take a pixel off the top and right of the canvas, then resize to 1/2 with nearest neighbor. Any of that sound wrong to any of you?

Ilsamir Lord
02-09-2007, 00:58
That's the way I do it, though I understand map_roughness has to be exactly twice the size of regions.

An example of what I've got, just to clarify: my small maps (regions etc) are 271 x 176 pixels, my large maps (heights, ground_types) are 543 x 343 and roughness is 542 x 342.

curiousepic
02-09-2007, 03:25
Problem solved! For anyone interested, someone on TWCenter informed me that an RBG value of 0,0,0 in the heights file produces an error, and that got rid of the line 59 error

Ilsamir Lord
02-09-2007, 04:34
Post some shots of the map curious! It looks so awesome. Unfortunately that didn't help me, but I'm glad you've got yours going! It gives every frustrated mapper hope :D . The error was made worse by the RGB change for me, it stopped generating the .rwm :p