PDA

View Full Version : Siege Infantry?

MC Hamster
02-06-2007, 03:07
Quick question on unit editing...

I've got a few things worked out, but am trying to create 'siege infantry'.. something like archers firing ballista bolts (just for fun)

Now... I seem to have the basics worked out, have changed the projectiles to 'ballista' rather than 'arrow', and although that seems to correctly change the attributes over, they're still unable to target gates/walls, and they're not recognised as "siege units" on the campaign map for the sake of being able to launch direclty into an assault when attacking a city.

I'd rather not have them tied to an actual engine (even a mounted_engine).. just their monster bows :)

I remember that I did it in RTW, but it was a fair while back and I this is kinda different, anyway.

Anyone?

Jerek Kruger
02-06-2007, 04:29
I took a look at the export_descr_unit.txt file to see if I could work this out. Comparing the entry for NE ballista and peasant crossbowmen I noticed three things which might be what you're looking for.

First, under the attributes section the ballista has artillery which might be what allows it to target walls.

Second, under stat_sec (the actual ballista attack) the ballista has siege_missile which might be what you're looking for.

Finally you might have to set the category of the unit to siege.

Not sure if any of this will help, am going to test it now.

Jerek Kruger
02-06-2007, 04:55
I can't get it to work. It seems to be linked to the unit having an engine, all siege capable units in the game seem to including elephant artillery. All I succeeded in creating was an extremely effective unit of pavise crossbowmen each of whom acted like a ballista. Being able to kill 20 men per volley was rather impressive.

MC Hamster
02-06-2007, 05:03
First, under the attributes section the ballista has artillery which might be what allows it to target walls.

Not sure if I tried that one or not... will give it another shot.

Second, under stat_sec (the actual ballista attack) the ballista has siege_missile which might be what you're looking for.

Already got that in there.. actually copied that whole line (to the primary though, which is the ranged weapon as opposed to the backup melee)

Finally you might have to set the category of the unit to siege.

This is true, but it then demands an engine for the siege weapon (ie a ballista, trebuchet, etc) - it ALSO doesn't account for the likes of the elephant artillery, which is in the 'cavalry' category - though it has a mounted_engine

Not sure if any of this will help, am going to test it now.

MC Hamster
02-06-2007, 05:45
(no, specifying 'artillery' doesn't seem to have any impact)

RyanW
02-19-2007, 08:29
It seems that targeting and damaging buildings must be a function of the engine, not the projectile or unit. My moster bombusketeers could not damage the wall even when they hit it by accident. Impressive to watch, though.

The cow carcass flinging Jinetes were the most disgusting thing I've seen lately.

gropro
02-20-2007, 00:48
This is not a function of a unit, projectile or even an engine. It seems to be hardcoded stuff. If u want test it, copy whole for a Elephant artillery and just change the type for something else. In fact this unit will use the same engine and mount as elephant artillery, but u will be not able to destroy walls. Thanks CA devs for that shit lol

Abokasee
02-22-2007, 13:06
I did it in my mod in RTW so it is possible, as long as there ranged I beleive.

gropro
02-24-2007, 15:04
lol Abokasee, do it for m2tw then if u think so. Nothing to believe.

Jerek Kruger
02-24-2007, 16:29
If you can remember how you did it in RTW that would be useful as it's quite likely to be the same in M2TW.

Abokasee
03-05-2007, 08:36
lol Abokasee, do it for m2tw then if u think so. Nothing to believe.

Well it is because MTW2 Data files are almost Exactly the same layout as RTW, so It is something to beleive.

They have to be ranged, other wise, the game will simply crash, so no suicide bombers.