PDA

View Full Version : Aedui: "Civil War and Survival"

KamikazeHunter
02-07-2007, 09:11
Well, the following is a little piece I put together out of boredom post battle. To shorten an introduction and avoid any major house rules, I decided that I'll play the game on VH-VH and I must unite Gaul and defeat the Arverni before I can push towards Britain, Germany, Spain, or Rome.

Chapter One: Siege of Avarieum
King Cocolitanos of Aedui sieging General Mandubracios of the Eleutheroi

It has been nine moons since the siege of Avarieum began. King Cocolitanos declared that the land shall be united under a single banner, a Gallic banner, bearing the symbol of the Aedui once again. These Eleutheroi, these ‘free people,’ are nothing but rebellious dogs that dare to defy the true king. Now here we stand, over 500 strong, preparing for the final blow against our enemies.

The king’s guard rode swiftly through the camp. One of the riders dismounted and ran into the tent of the king. “My king, the soldiers of Mandubracios are leaving the gates. They are heading right for us.” Cocolitanos quickly rose from his rest and adorned his armor and sword. He rushed from the tent with his guards and rallied his troops, “Men, today we stand facing the last remnants of your enemy! Do not fear them, for they fight with starved stomachs and are not at favor with the gods. You men have had many moons of rest and preparation, feasting on the caravans of food and reaping the spoils from the land. Now prepare for battle, and let no rebel that bears arms against you survive!” The loyal soldiers of King Cocolitanos took heart from the encouraging words of their king and speedily prepared for the final battle for the town.

At the town walls, General Mandubracios solemnly prepared for the worst. He knew his men had no food left. He also knew he was facing a well armed foe with swords and spears, yet he did not think twice of surrender. Mandubracios marched at the front of the column, inspiring his men to fight to victory, or to death. He looked forward at the Aedui ranks and stood horrified at the sight. Each soldier bore shield in one hand and skirmish weapons in the other. He knew well of Cocolitanos’ methods of battle: bombard the enemy with long ranged weaponry then charge into the chaos spear first. Mandubracios blew his battle horn and began screaming at his foes, hoping to scare them into a retreat, but to no avail.

Aedui archers prepared flaming arrows for their foes. They were to hold their fire until King Cocolitanos gave the orders to burn his foes to death. The skirmishers and swordsmen readied their weapons, waiting for the enemy to come within range to throw their deadly spears. The front ranks of the Eleutheroi army began to charge. Cocolitanos screamed, “Fire!” and a barrage of over 100 arrows flew like hawks diving at their prey. Each arrow burned with the rage of ages and created havoc amongst the ranks of Mandubracios’ soldiers. But, the enemy did not falter. The charge continued so the king ordered his archers to fire at the rear ranks of the enemy and commanded his skirmishers to begin barraging the forward ranks. Each spear landed with ferocious force upon impact. Both earth and man shook as the hail of hellish spears tore flesh and dirt from its victim. The charge continued and no man retreated, so the king gave the signal to charge into the fray. Like a wave the Aedui soldiers crashed into the ranks of the bruised enemy, causing both heart and hand to fail amongst the rebellious soldiers.

https://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/KamikazeHunter/Avarieum_Assault1.jpg
(Aedui forces fighting Eleutheroi soldiers. Retreating rebels are swiftly shot in the back by my archers)

The battle quickly became a massacre. Rebel troops scattered and retreated back to the town walls, only to be shot in the back by the expert archers of the king. The king’s army continued to fight any man that did not retreat and pushed towards the rebel leader. King Cocolitanos caught sight of his counterpart and drove his horse and men straight at the enemy general. Like a hawk catching a mouse, the king drove his sword into the flesh of his foe, causing the man to collapse on his legs. With a quick blow the king slew his enemy and caused the remainder of the rebels to either surrender or retreat to the town, only to again fall victim to the piercing shots of the Aedui archers and their flaming arrows.

The Aedui forces proceeded to march into the town gates with over 500 of the original 600+ men and claimed the town as their own. Of the rebels defending the town, none survived. From that day forward, an Aedui banner hung in the town hall and many men drank to the success of king Cocolitanos.

Wolfman
02-07-2007, 17:58
this is a pretty good read. Its nice to finally see an Aedui AAR

KamikazeHunter
02-10-2007, 03:50
Thanks wolfman. I'm working on a few more parts, no clue when I'll finish them. ^.^v

Wolfman
02-12-2007, 00:47
Just teach those Arverni with their false god king not to mess with the Aedui Confederacy

Anthony
02-15-2007, 05:47
I'd mind their leader isn't a king. He's the head of their equivalent of a 'senate'. The kings of the Aedui were not as empowered as those of the Arverni. The Arverni had a high king over underkings (the high king being an earthly representative of the Arverni god Arvernos). The source of their dispute was mostly political and economic; the Aedui were the rightful rulers of Gaul (took it from the Biturges), the Arverni were rebels against their rule, inspired from the Aedui weakness against Germans (which had caused the dissolution of the original confederation, breaking Gaul into what it is at the beginning of EB). The Aedui ruled through a senate-like body of kings and druids, the highest being the Vergobret (the Judgment-Maker).

Wolfman
02-25-2007, 02:46
Thanks for the correction Anthony. It's good to have other history buffs around to correct you when you might be wrong.