PDA

View Full Version : How to use Hypaspistai?

Kugutsu
02-10-2007, 20:28
I have just been playing a Mac campaign, which is new for me, and have been having fun with their elite units. Pheraspidai are cool, and Argaspidai and Hetairoi, however the Hypaspistai seem a bit rubbish in comparison, for an elite unit. Is there any way to get them to use their spears by default, as as a hoplite unit I assume that they should be the primary weapon. I tried to get them to charge with them by using Alt attach, however they charged in with their swords, then swapped weapons once they were in melee... and got slaughtered... It just seems wrong somehow.

Fondor_Yards
02-11-2007, 06:12
I have just been playing a Mac campaign, which is new for me, and have been having fun with their elite units. Pheraspidai are cool, and Argaspidai and Hetairoi, however the Hypaspistai seem a bit rubbish in comparison, for an elite unit. Is there any way to get them to use their spears by default, as as a hoplite unit I assume that they should be the primary weapon. I tried to get them to charge with them by using Alt attach, however they charged in with their swords, then swapped weapons once they were in melee... and got slaughtered... It just seems wrong somehow.

Use the alt attack command again once they are in meele, they will all pull out their spears and only use them. And I find the opposite, Pheraspidai are rubbish for me and I never use them, only Hypaspistai and Baktrian Agema.

Thaatu
02-11-2007, 09:32
Did Hypaspists fight as part of a phalanx, or as a screen for it? I have never understood that.

germanpeon
02-11-2007, 09:55
I think historically they were a very flexible force that Alexander used for a variety of situations. If I recall correctly, they were mainly used to quickly move into place around troops pinned by the phalanxes and flank them, using swords. They could also be given spears and fight as a quick and agile light phalanx formation, also used to move around the flanks of enemy infantry.

Tomik
04-19-2007, 14:11
In Rome Total Realism there were two kinds of Hypaspistai:
- spearmen (not phalanx) - throwing two spears before charge and then fighting also with spear,
- swordsmen - fighting still with sword

I really love them, never seen them flee, only celebrating victory.

Watchman
04-19-2007, 14:24
Did Hypaspists fight as part of a phalanx, or as a screen for it? I have never understood that.Well, the rather spotty primary-source coverage on them doesn't particularly help things. But I understand they were usually deployed as mobile hoplite-style shock infantry on the flank of the pike phalanx (in the original Alexandrian version between the pike block and the Hetairoi led by the king), but of course being elite guard troops could presumably be expected to have been cross-trained to fill other roles as well if necessary. If I understand correctly the Pheraspidai are specifically a rendition of just such an alternate deployement and armament scheme.

mAIOR
04-19-2007, 22:37
Well, "my" sources state they filled several roles including in fact those of hoplites in the flanks of a phalanx. However, one of the major rles they filled was the filling of gaps in the Phalanx. Whenever the Phalanx cohesion was threatned they came swords blazing and racing to strenghten the position. as they were heavilly armored and trained, they would have a lot of staying power so they could make a diference :)
In AS the Flanking role was atributed to the Agryaspidai Thorakitai as they were mean. I believe the EB Hypaspists make a hell of a historical version as you can have them fighting with spears (Hoplite wise) or using swords to prevent the Phalanx from crumbling.

Cheers...

abou
04-20-2007, 04:52
In Rome Total Realism there were two kinds of Hypaspistai:
- spearmen (not phalanx) - throwing two spears before charge and then fighting also with spear,
- swordsmen - fighting still with sword

I really love them, never seen them flee, only celebrating victory.That is what EB also has - they've just been named differently.

Since the Hypaspistai filled several different roles throughout their history two different units were made to represent them: Hypaspistai and Pheraspidai. Think of EB's Hypaspistai as multi-role, heavy hoplites and Pheraspidai as an assault force from the same pool of men as the Hypaspistai.