PDA

View Full Version : City Mod

Pages : [1] 2

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-20-2007, 05:23
City Mod
Version 5.1
https://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7933/separatortopvi4.jpg

The 'city mod' is a minimod based on the limitation of city size growth. Because of numerable hardcodings concerning population growth within RTW the only way of effectively stopping city growth is to cap certain cities at certain levels. In this minimod, not many cities can get the 'large' size and only a hand full can reach the 'huge' size. This mod does tend to favour factions that are settled and restricts the steppe factions.

Other than restricting city sizes, I have also added various other modifications that will help to slow city growth. There are also a few unrelated adjustments and modifications to the game such as the removal of roads in certain areas.

I have (will) created two versions of this mod. One (version "a") is the standard version that simple restricts the size of cities for all factions. The second one (version "b") is the Hellenization/Romanization version. In this version, the "barbarian" and steppe factions cannot get over the 'large town' size of settlement. This allows for "civilized" factions to conquer barbarians and upgrade the towns to Hellenic/Roman settlement to represent Hellenization/Romanization of the the populace. This version is admitantly unfair to the "barbarian" factions and shouldn't be played with those factions.

Features:
Version 5.1a
-Restriction of city sizes
-Removal or reduction of some growth bonuses on buildings
-Removal of the ability to build roads in some places
-Law bonuses for the Academy structures

Download:(Version "a")http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=2204

Features:
Version 5.1b
-Restricted the construction of 'city', 'large city', and 'huge city' to "civilized" factions

Download:(Version "b")http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=2205

Install:
Extract the files into your "Rome - Total War" folder and accept saving over old files. This download includes a map.rwm and does not require you to delete yours, to make things simplier.

Uninstall:
To uninstall this minimod, you'll have to reinstall EB or have backed up your files before downloading. To go from version "b" to version "a" just install one version over the other.

Please post feedback, advice, comments, or suggestions.

Older versions:
City Mod
Version 4.0

Here is the City Mod for EB v1.1. I completely redid the mod from scratch, so a few things may be different. The main basis of this mod is to limit the city sizes so that not just any city can become huge. Only Roma, Athenai, Alexandreia, Seleukeia, and Kart-Hadast can reach the huge size, with a handfull of cities that can reach the large city size. And there are a few settlements that can't even reach the minor city size.

Features:
Version 4.0a

Download:(Version "a")http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1941

Version 4.0b : The Romanization/Hellenization Version
-Version 4.0a, but with one change
-Barbarian/Steppe cultures cannot build settlements beyond the Large Town Level, allowing you to Romanize/Hellenize their cities after capturing them. (This will make the barbarians a bit weaker and is not too historically fair, but it will prevent you from having an empire of tiny hut circles as the Romans.)(If you play this version then wish to switch back to the "a" version, delete the descr_cultures.txt and rename the original descr_cultures.txt (included in download). Then reinstall version "a" of the CityMod over version "b".)

Download:(Version "b")http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1942

Install:(for both versions)
Extract the files into your "Rome - Total War" folder and accept saving over old files.

-This download includes a map.rwm and does not require you to delete yours, to make things simplier.
-It also includes a file that will save over the map.rwm that the trivial script replaces every time you start the game, so that it will work whether you are using the trivial script or not.
-If you have Windows Vista and have installed RTW & EB into a subdirectory of the "Program Files" directory, you will not be able to install this minimod.

Version 3.2 for EB v1.0:
City Mod
Version 3.2

Once again, here is my minimod for EB: City Mod v3.2 for EB v1.0. This mod limits city sizes, decreases some aspects of population growth, and increases some of the bonuses in order to help out cities with large populations that cannot upgrade. This is just the base version and doesn't include too many changes like my old versions did.

Features:
Version 3.0
Limited City Sizes
Decreased Population Growth bonuses on buildings
Increased possitive effects on some buildings (including Law on education buildings)
Took away the ability to build some roads in some areas
[only the export_descr_buildings.txt and descr_regions.txt have been altered]
Version 3.1
One slight change to allow the "March of Time" event
Version 3.2
Integrated bovi's Pahlav fix so that Pahlav can get their highest level of MIC (all other fixes can be added on top of this minimod)

Download:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1771

Install:
Extract the files into your "Rome - Total War" folder and accept saving over old files. This download includes a map.rwm and does not require you to delete yours, to make things simplier.

Old first post:
City Mod
Version 2.1

I've always thought that some cities should be limited in size. It doesn't always make sense that every city can be as big as and have the same buildings as Rome or Alexandria. I've never played the RTR Metropolis Mod, but this is similar.

I used cunctator's First Cohort mod as a base for this mod as to remove conflicts in the two mods. This can be installed ontop of the First Cohort mod, but it also includes the First Cohort mod and doesn't not require it. It thus includes all of the features of the First Cohort mod as a base.

Features:
1.0:
-City sizes are restricted in most places with few being able to reach 'huge'.
-Some buildings availabilty have been changed.
-Population growth decreased (mostly by removing most growth bonuses on buildings).
-Stone walls in less places (wooden still available everywhere).
-Roads available in less places (please post objections).
-cunctator's First Cohort aspects.
1.1:
-Improved CTD fix posted by Kull (0.81b)
-Saba & Hai health structures
2.0:
-Completely redone from "v0.81a v2"&FCv1.3 base
-Roman Reforms altered
-Dynamic Celtic Reforms
---requirements:
-----First: Conquer all of Gaul or Britain & be at least 250BC
-----Second: Complete your faction's victory conditions & be at least 200BC
-----Old static conditions still remain as well
-Nisa mine fixed
-Population growth traits reworked
-Personal security traits reworked
-Imperator trait reworked
-Building bonuses reworked (again)
2.1:
-Taras change
-Slightly altered The Errant's money script & population replenishment changes added
---(Special thanks to The Errant and mlp071)

Install instructions:
-Have a clean install of EB 0.81a or First Cohorts Mod 1.3
-Download the file
-Extract the download to "...\Rome - Total War\"
-Delete the "map.rwm" from the "...\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\base" folder
-Play

Download:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=1419

I'd also like to add, anyone who is willing, feed back is appreciated. General feedback plus specifics: Roman Expansion, Population Growth, and [].

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-20-2007, 05:43
First off, I'm probably going to wait to see if there will be a quickfix released.

Second, this would conflict with other mods, so I'm thinking of making the first cohort "mod" a required.

I'll also be changing some things so that you'll be able to build appropriate buildings in "smaller" cities (Examples: roads available at lower levels, education available lower), as well as some changes to manage squalor. (Examples: doubling garrison bonuses, giving law bonuses to educational facilities, giving extra bonuses to entertainment)

Here are my thoughts on the cities (comments and suggestions welcome, even if you don't plan on downloading this):
Huge City level:
Rome, Athenai, Alexandreia, Seleukeia, Kart-Hadast
Large City level:
-Planned:
Sparte, Pella, Capua, Antiocheia, Damaskos, Pergamon, Sinope, Syrakousai, Baktra
-Maybe:
Korinthos, Taras, Byzantion, Hierosolyma, Memphis, Mastia, Bibracte, Swebotraustastamnoz, Camulosadae, Sarmiszegethusa, "something in Media/Persis/Iran area"
-I've thought about:
Massalia, Susa, Persepolis, Ekbatana, Maryab, Hekatompylos, Oxtraca, Mediolanum
City level:
All but those below.
Restricted toLarge Town level:
Dumatha, Hibis, Ammonium, Augila, Garama, Cydaus, (not important but Tuat and Terhazza as well), maybe some in the plains...
Town level:
Everything can get this

Christianus
02-20-2007, 05:45
This is very desireable indeed. Iwe given it a lot of tought, but I cant mod. Dont think I will start to much either. Anyhow, its weard to have a city as big as for examle Alexandria up in Scandinavia:)

Edit: By the way, I believe Cadiz was quite a big city, so maybe it should be classified as a large city at least...

Thaatu
02-22-2007, 09:25
I'd be supportive (though not in any useful way).

cunctator
02-22-2007, 19:08
Such a mod would be excellent. Maybe it would be a good idea to also cut population growth boni from all buildings as much as possible. Something that is also discussed for future Eb versions. In my current romani campaign Roma is already a huge city - in 260 BC.

Antiochia should be moved to the list of huge cities, it has had several 100.000 inhabitants on it's peak and was one of the greatest cities in the roman empire after Roma and Alexandria.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
02-22-2007, 19:13
Sounds very interesting - this always has been one of my R:TW peeves. Anyhow, the best of luck with it!

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-22-2007, 22:02
Antioch huge, hmm?

Currently, as far as growth, I'm planning to: add more happiness/law bonuses to cancel it out, completely redo the granary building tier without growth bonuses, and drop the base farming level even more...
oh and remove some random population growth bonuses like on the trade route...

Does anyone have any suggestions for large cities in Iberia or Iran. Currently Baktra is the only thing that gets big east of Seleukia in my plan. Should I make a city capable to getting large for the Parthians? Also, did the Iberian ever have any large settlements?

What about Armavir? Does it diserve to be large?

Fondor_Yards
02-24-2007, 00:33
Don't forget about North Africa, iirc the only one listed so far is Carthage itself. Some of those should be Large Cities, the land there is very fertile.

Dumbass
03-04-2007, 11:32
I think all the arabian provinces except for maryab, carna and saba should be towns. Maybe you can also disable the ability for towns to build stone walls, and disable a lot of other towns from building stone walls.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-11-2007, 04:38
Ok. I've finally made and uploaded this mod. It is sort of a beta, comments welcome.

/\ See first post. /\

F for Fragging
03-11-2007, 11:54
This mod would fix my greatest annoyance in the game. I was only playing as Romanii for a few years, and Capua was already as populous as Rome, that was ridiculous realism wise. It sucks that in theory every barbarian provincial backwater can become a large settlement. Besides that, growth rates alone seem to be over the top sometimes, with more than 3% in 1 season of a 4 season year.

I think this mod is a great idea, and that this should be integrated in EB. However, you are basing this on research I hope (in the second post you say it's based on your "thoughts")? Not that I am an expert at all on this, but the Sweboz capital, Swebotraustastamnoz, are you seriously considering this as a large city? Would it not have been impossible for a barbarian faction like the Sweboz to have large cities, because they did not have technology like sewers which the more advanced civilisations did have?

BTW, I just d/l'ed and installed over 0.81a. Some files were overwritten, I assume that's ok because this mod is compatible with 0.81a, right?

Moros
03-11-2007, 12:39
BTW, I just d/l'ed and installed over 0.81a. Some files were overwritten, I assume that's ok because this mod is compatible with 0.81a, right?
here's your awnser:

Install instructions:
Have a clean install of EB 0.81a or First Cohorts Mod 1.2
Extract the download to "...\Rome - Total War\"
Delete the "map.rwm" from the "...\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\base" folder
Play

Chuffy
03-11-2007, 15:13
This is a fantastic idea, I'd love to say I can help you, but my modding knowledge is non-existent.

DL'ing now.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-11-2007, 20:57
This mod would fix my greatest annoyance in the game. I was only playing as Romanii for a few years, and Capua was already as populous as Rome, that was ridiculous realism wise. It sucks that in theory every barbarian provincial backwater can become a large settlement. Besides that, growth rates alone seem to be over the top sometimes, with more than 3% in 1 season of a 4 season year.

I think this mod is a great idea, and that this should be integrated in EB. However, you are basing this on research I hope (in the second post you say it's based on your "thoughts")? Not that I am an expert at all on this, but the Sweboz capital, Swebotraustastamnoz, are you seriously considering this as a large city? Would it not have been impossible for a barbarian faction like the Sweboz to have large cities, because they did not have technology like sewers which the more advanced civilisations did have?

On my own version of EB, I don't let 'barbarian' settlements get bigger than 'large_town'. I do this both because I don't feel they would be urbanized to the extent of 'civilized' people and so that when I conquer them, I can Romanize the appearance of their town.

I made the mod with the ability for 'barbarians' to make cities and large cities because if I didn't all the barbarophiles would be angry. There is only one in each area (Britian, Gaul, Germania, Iberia, Dacia) that can become a large_city.

I based the cities that can upgrade on three things. 1- Population in 272BC. 2- Historic populations and 3- Historic importance (even if they weren't huge).

Gaias
03-11-2007, 23:24
Nice idea MarcusAureliusAntoninus. :yes:

I was wondering if I could use your city mod in the one that I am developing? I was waiting for your modification as to see what and how you made the changes to affect city growth as I am fairly new at modifying any game myself.

Well download and starting a new campaign to see how it works out. :2thumbsup:

kalkwerk
03-12-2007, 00:09
Aint got much playtime these days. I shall try it out as soon I get time.
Anthioce and syracuse should be huge cities for historical reasons. Athens actually wasnt very big at the time, so Id say large in that case, but considering the enduring cultural importance it might be huge as well. Id give byzantium the ability to be huge too, to simulate some lateempire trends.

Have you seen any influence on AI expansion/recruitment using this mod?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-12-2007, 05:53
I haven't seen anything that messes with the AI. Since all recruitment buildings are available at any city size and most other buildings are available early, the AI doesn't really change in any way.

Athens definately is there because of its importance, not because of population.

F for Fragging
03-13-2007, 16:31
here's your awnser:

Ok, thank you, sorry for not noticing.

On my own version of EB, I don't let 'barbarian' settlements get bigger than 'large_town'. I do this both because I don't feel they would be urbanized to the extent of 'civilized' people and so that when I conquer them, I can Romanize the appearance of their town.

I made the mod with the ability for 'barbarians' to make cities and large cities because if I didn't all the barbarophiles would be angry. There is only one in each area (Britian, Gaul, Germania, Iberia, Dacia) that can become a large_city.

I based the cities that can upgrade on three things. 1- Population in 272BC. 2- Historic populations and 3- Historic importance (even if they weren't huge).

But maybe you could make a separate version for barbarophiles and realismophiles then?

EDIT: BTW, maybe something should be done about the "Grower" trait and "Agriculturalist" ancillary (and possible more governer related stuff which boosts population growth) which boosts the population growth in the settlement, if the governor of that settlement has them? Do they do not interfere with your mod?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-13-2007, 23:06
But maybe you could make a separate version for barbarophiles and realismophiles then?
I wish the 'or' command would work so that I could make cities upgrade different for different cultures. (Places where civilized get huge, barbarians get large cities. Places where civilized get large cities, they get cities. And the base for barbarians was 'large_town'.) But it just won't work.

Another problem is if you remove the ability to build the 'city' level from barbarians, you get an error message. There is no actual error, it just gives you the message everytime you exit RomeTW.exe.

Though, maybe I should make an extreme one, with few walls, roads, and 'city' leveled cities.

EDIT: BTW, maybe something should be done about the "Grower" trait and "Agriculturalist" ancillary (and possible more governer related stuff which boosts population growth) which boosts the population growth in the settlement, if the governor of that settlement has them? Do they do not interfere with your mod?
Well, those traits can be good. If you want a certain area to grow you can seen such a general to govern that province. But traits do seem to be one of the major reasons of growth in EB. Many times I've had a governor die, in a city that was previously balanced population growth, and have the city with something like -4% growth.

Dumbass
03-15-2007, 20:40
Planning to incorportate or add any more things to this mod?

Like adding law bonuses to schools, removing the huge public health bonuses from buildings or altering them eg. sewers +1 public health -1 squalor. How about adding happiness bonuses to estates, giving them some purpose, or giving law bonuses to walls and MICs.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-15-2007, 22:44
Planning to incorportate or add any more things to this mod?

Like adding law bonuses to schools, removing the huge public health bonuses from buildings or altering them eg. sewers +1 public health -1 squalor. How about adding happiness bonuses to estates, giving them some purpose, or giving law bonuses to walls and MICs.
There are currently law bonuses on schools in this mod. Plus I doubled the bonuses for garrisons. I converted many of the popultion growth bonuses to happiness and health (health gives happiness, pop growth, and squalor reduction) depending on whether I wanted no growth or just a little. I thought of adding more happiness and law bonuses, but the schools and garrisons already give an additional 20% (over vanilla EB) bonus for highly upgraded cities. Estates are supposted to give negative bonuses and be somewhat unwanted, so i didn't alter them.

There were also slight cuts to base farming (though there is basically nowhere to make cuts there anymore).

Dumbass
03-16-2007, 21:01
Ah cool, hmm, how about some little trait fixes like making lover of beauty less common or not affect command, or making legendary weapons like the spear of achilles a little better than + 1 morale.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-16-2007, 21:15
I haven't changed traits at all. But I was thinking of doing that with the next version, especially farming traits. (I need to upgrade for 081b anyways.) I might alter some other ones when there, but I haven't put too much thought into it...

Dumbass
03-19-2007, 19:04
Any chance of incorporating watchman's mod into city mod?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-20-2007, 03:17
I haven't even looked closely at Watchman's mod. I have been really busy lately. (I had hoped to update the mod already.)

But Watchman's mod is for BI only and this mod so far is still compatible with 1.5...

Kali
03-20-2007, 10:29
Looks like a really good mod,
I see you've included aspects of Cuncators 1st Cohort mod. Any chance you could be more specific.
:dizzy2:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-20-2007, 22:46
Looks like a really good mod,
I see you've included aspects of Cuncators 1st Cohort mod. Any chance you could be more specific.
:dizzy2:
(That was odd, I pushed submit, the internet hiccuped, and I was back at the thread with no post. But to repeat what was lost...)
I simply used the 1st cohort mod as a base. This mod contains the complete 1st cohort mod with some files changed (and one added) to effect the wanted changes. It contains the entire 1st cohort mod.

Kali
03-21-2007, 10:41
Cheers,
thats what i hoped you'd say.
:2thumbsup:

Andrea69
03-21-2007, 14:21
Hello Marcus

Do you know Metropolis & Naval Mod for RTR? Here you could find some new elements to integrate in your mod.
I mean, for example, a multi-mines system with mines differentiation (copper, gold, silver, iron with different bonuses to each one: copper mines give for example light tax bonus, iron mines give armour bonus which i like a lot). I think it's something that could be definitely done in EB since there is a plenty of mines all over the map except for Italy and few other regions.
Moreover how about a sort of maritime economy system, alternative to the land based economy? From M&N Mod you can easily find the way this approach has been implemented.

Chuffy
03-21-2007, 15:51
I haven't even looked closely at Watchman's mod. I have been really busy lately. (I had hoped to update the mod already.)

But Watchman's mod is for BI only and this mod so far is still compatible with 1.5...

Actually I've been running it in BI and I've encountered no problems or oddities...aside from the Hayasadan CTD...but thats well known.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-22-2007, 02:53
Hello Marcus
Hello

Do you know Metropolis & Naval Mod for RTR? Here you could find some new elements to integrate in your mod.
I mean, for example, a multi-mines system with mines differentiation (copper, gold, silver, iron with different bonuses to each one: copper mines give for example light tax bonus, iron mines give armour bonus which i like a lot). I think it's something that could be definitely done in EB since there is a plenty of mines all over the map except for Italy and few other regions.
Moreover how about a sort of maritime economy system, alternative to the land based economy? From M&N Mod you can easily find the way this approach has been implemented.
Well, multiple mines would require the use of additional building tiers and EB has a definate shortage of available building slots. Though, I suppose you could make a single branching complex for mines with one simple first level and then different ones depending on what is in the region. Though there would then only be one mine in the region. (If gold and copper exsisting in one place, you would have to make either a gold mine or a copper mine. One building tier allows for only one building.)
I'm not sure what you mean about naval economy. I haven't played the Metropolis mod (well for about three minutes back in my RTR days, but I didn't like where the cutoffs were set and uninstalled it), so I'm sure about its details. Maybe I should take a closer look at the newest version, though I definately don't seek to recreate it for EB.

Actually I've been running it in BI and I've encountered no problems or oddities...aside from the Hayasadan CTD...but thats well known.
That's what I mean. That mod works with BI and not RTW. Currently this mod works with both.

Well, I'm off (on vacation) for the next week or two, so I won't be able to update this at all soon. I'll look at Watchman's mod when I get back. And hopefully make a new version with Kull's improved EDB fix (plus some fixes, adjustments, and traits).

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-22-2007, 04:53
Ok, I made a new version (1.1).
New stuff includes:
Improved CTD fix
Saba & Hai health (credit to Watchman for the idea)

Domitius Ulpianus
03-24-2007, 06:03
If I understand crrectly, this means you can run both Watchman's mod and this one and they will both work? I mean if you have BI....because Watchman's is BI only....anybody? pleaaaase.

Watchman
03-28-2007, 10:29
Not really, far as I can tell. Install the two in the same folder and files will get overwritten. The real gist of my mod's the export_descr_units.txt though whereas - if I've understood correctly - Marcus' is export_descr_buildings.txt, so for example manually replacing the EDU in an installed CityMod with my version should work.

Sheep
03-30-2007, 22:12
Just a passing thought. Some of these cities didn't get huge in real life because the people that lived there never conquered the world. But if, say, the Baktrians did conquer the world, wouldn't zillions of people be flocking to the Baktrian capital?

Perhaps you can make it so that a faction's capital can become larger than other cities in the region.

Boyar Son
03-31-2007, 19:38
This is a good mod to have!

But shees does RTR have a mod for everything? they must have 100 team members.

Swebozbozboz
04-01-2007, 18:16
Just a passing thought. Some of these cities didn't get huge in real life because the people that lived there never conquered the world. But if, say, the Baktrians did conquer the world, wouldn't zillions of people be flocking to the Baktrian capital?

Perhaps you can make it so that a faction's capital can become larger than other cities in the region.

Ya i totally agree, because the Romans did so well there cities became large. If a Greek Faction or maybe even Pontus or another did become the dominant power, they would have huge cities...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-02-2007, 05:53
If I understand crrectly, this means you can run both Watchman's mod and this one and they will both work? I mean if you have BI....because Watchman's is BI only....anybody? pleaaaase.
I believe installing Watchman's mod first and the city mod second would work, there should be no problems. The couple of changes to the EDB made in Watchman's mod would be lost, but some are included in the city mod anyways...

I did make some cities larger than I personally wanted because they were capitals and so as not to deminish the chances for people who expand with guys like the 'barbarians'.

I wish I could make a faction specific system. But since the 'or' command is bugged that is impossible...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-07-2007, 23:48
I did it!
The first time I've ever made a script and it worked! I managed to make a dynamic trigger for the Celtic Reforms. For the next version of my mod the Celtic Reforms will be triggered if you (as Gaul) unifies Gaul after 260BC:
https://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1638/maa090ni8.th.jpg (https://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maa090ni8.jpg)
The second one occures when you reach you faction victory conditions. (I haven't tested that one and I foresee errors.)

I've also fixed a couple errors and changed some traits. (Including work on the "Imperator" trait.)

Does anyone have anything they would like to see in this mod? Anything added? Anything taken away? Anything altered (especially what city gets what level)? Anyone try it and hate it? Anyone have any crashes?

P.S. I believe there is work on the Celtic Reforms for the next official release of EB. The official dynamic reforms will make historical sense, unlike my triggers.

Redmeth
04-08-2007, 09:19
Can the Casse get the same when they unify Britain and also conquer the Belgae perhaps (their type 1 govt. areas)?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-08-2007, 09:36
Can the Casse get the same when they unify Britain and also conquer the Belgae perhaps (their type 1 govt. areas)?
Oh, yeah. I currently have it set so that Casse will trigger the reforms if they take all of the British Isles.

Dumbass
04-09-2007, 19:56
Excellent mod, I can see this becoming big. Can you alter the money scripts so that monsters like the seleucids don't get pumped full of money and steamroll everyone, and so that smaller factions like pahlav or pontos receive more money and can actually expand.

Dyabedes of Aphrodisias
04-10-2007, 06:34
Technically, could you not install both without losing Watchman's stuff by merely clicking "No" when it asks you if you would like to replace the export_descr_buildings.txt?

Foot
04-10-2007, 12:02
Technically, could you not install both without losing Watchman's stuff by merely clicking "No" when it asks you if you would like to replace the export_descr_buildings.txt?

No, because then Marcus's edb wouldn't be installed. The only possible way to do it would be to use a program like winmerge to merge the two files together.

Foot

Watchman
04-10-2007, 12:27
It's not like my version of the EDB had too much stuff Marcus' didn't, after he added the Hai and Saba health buildings. Just two added lines to slightly tweak the recruitement of the Hai cataphracts, far as I know.

My mod's mostly about the EDU anyway.

Wolfshart
04-10-2007, 17:15
I can vouche for that watchman. I have the city mod, first cohort and just drag and dropped watchman's EDU over the city mod one and it works like a dream. No CTDs and I'm running it over BI odviously so the benifits have made an awesome campaign sofar. /cheers

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-11-2007, 22:47
I believe that the EDB is the only thing that conflicts. If you make sure that the city mod EDB is the one being used, there should be zero conflict.

Excellent mod, I can see this becoming big. Can you alter the money scripts so that monsters like the seleucids don't get pumped full of money and steamroll everyone, and so that smaller factions like pahlav or pontos receive more money and can actually expand.
I hadn't thought of that. Someone was testing a complicated version of that and then disappeared. I might test something and see if I like it...next time I have time.

Wolfshart
04-11-2007, 22:57
That would rock!:2thumbsup: I was wondering why the seleucids were expanding so rapidly and effectively. :wall:

MoROmeTe
04-16-2007, 13:27
MAA, why don't you make all capitals basically able to grow to whatever size they want and put cap on the other cities? This way the player has a place to recruit all he wants and the other cities are capped and manageable...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-16-2007, 21:12
I really wish that the dagnabid "or" command would work. It would be awesome to make it so that ever different faction had different cities that could grow to different sizes. I tried to arrange the sizes of cities so that most factions would have some big cities available to them (even if they don't start with them), but at the same time keeping the amount of huge cities to a minimum (I wouldn't feel right if there were four or five huge cities in Greece alone). What cities are you thinking about, specifically, MoROmeTe?

BTW, I was planning on updating this a while back, but have stalled. For a couple reasons: (1) I wanted to see how Sheep's tests went with the money script, (2) I've been busy with non-RTW stuff, and (3) I've been feeling real lazy recently and haven't been testing the stuff I need to.

Redmeth
04-16-2007, 23:53
MAA, I believe you are a member of the EB team, so are there any plans to include the features in your mini-mod in the next build, maybe balanced to be both realistic and fairly balanced for all factions except like steppe nomads who are kind of hard to simulate given the limits of the engine.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-17-2007, 00:23
MAA, I believe you are a member of the EB team, so are there any plans to include the features in your mini-mod in the next build, maybe balanced to be both realistic and fairly balanced for all factions except like steppe nomads who are kind of hard to simulate given the limits of the engine.
There is a continuous effort to manage population growth. Also reworks of farms and villas are in the future. Most of the rework work of exsisting stuff of all kinds has been put off while new stuff is added (though the rework of Parthia is well under way).

I've seen mention in limiting town size, but most people wish to leave potential sizes of cities open so that you can "remake history in your own image".

Some of the Parthian changes will alter and help nomads, IIRC.

I of the Storm
04-19-2007, 09:57
Very nice, your mod seems to even out things a bit. Huge cities north of the Alps were a bit strange...:inquisitive: I just started a new Romani campaign yesterday and while playing, a thought occurred to me:
:study:
If I got everything right then the only italic city able to reach "huge" status is Rome, right?
But that would make the vanilla reforms impossible AFAIK, since they only trigger when an italic city except Rome builds an imperial palace. So as long as Capua (always reaches "huge" first) is denied "huge" status there won't be the vanilla reforms event, thus no new ships for Rome and no new units for other factions. In case it's not hardcoded, one could remove the exception for Rome as a trigger city?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-19-2007, 23:38
Very nice, your mod seems to even out things a bit. Huge cities north of the Alps were a bit strange...:inquisitive: I just started a new Romani campaign yesterday and while playing, a thought occurred to me:
:study:
If I got everything right then the only italic city able to reach "huge" status is Rome, right?
But that would make the vanilla reforms impossible AFAIK, since they only trigger when an italic city except Rome builds an imperial palace. So as long as Capua (always reaches "huge" first) is denied "huge" status there won't be the vanilla reforms event, thus no new ships for Rome and no new units for other factions. In case it's not hardcoded, one could remove the exception for Rome as a trigger city?
The hardcoded city of "Rome" is actually the city on the island in the Baltic (with a different external name). I think the requirement is for a city with the "Italy" hidden resource to get to be a huge city. I don't remember which ones still have that HR. I was thinking of moving those to other places since the vanilla Marian reform is the only thing that they effect.

Anyways, the requirements for the vanilla Marian Reform are hardcoded and cannot be changed by mods. This is one reason that EB is implimenting all of their own reforms.

I of the Storm
04-20-2007, 01:49
So you simply moved Rome. I see, thanks.

Spoofa
04-23-2007, 07:17
In my campaign ive noticed Roma cannot become a huge city, im at 259 b.c. so i dunno if u somehow put some sort of year req.
also im getting some major squalor going on in roma and other cities in italy that have reached their max. (city, or the one above it.)

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-23-2007, 07:28
I just checked the files in the zip, Rome should have the ability to become huge at 24,000 population.

Population growth problems is one of the things I'm working on. Try to make sure that the governor you have in trouble city doesn't cause too much pop growth.

Dan_Grr
04-23-2007, 13:17
Is your mod compatible with the money script mod also on this sub-forum? Or is the Ebbs script changed?

EDIT: The first cohorsts mod from cunctator is already integrated into your own right? Thanks.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-23-2007, 20:57
There are no changes to the EB script, so it is compatible with the money changes. I was planning script changes, but have stalled. For one reason, I wanted to see how the money script thing worked out and whether to include it in the next version.

I of the Storm
04-23-2007, 21:43
Hi,
I have a problem: When Rome completed its imperial palace it did not trigger the Wheel of Time thing. Capua just passed it's 24.000 mark and is unable to build the imperial palace. All the other italic cities are unable to build it I suppose. So, I won't have the Wheel of Time at all.
What can I do? Could you give me a clue how to take the restriction on Capua away please?

Dan_Grr
04-23-2007, 21:46
It's very interesting, Im using Redmeth's script now, but I tend to be more on the Errant's side when taking 30 000 mnai of a faction if at the end of that turn that faction has more than 100 000.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-23-2007, 21:53
If you want to make any changes on your own, just go into the ...\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\DESCR_REGIONS.txt and look for the city that you wish to change. Then add the hidden_resource "city" for the city level, "large" for the large_city level, or "huge" for the huge_city level. You may have to delete the map.rwm for it to change. (Deleting the map.rwm may cause other bugs if you load a save game, but there is a 99.999% chance it won't.)

I think I'm going to move the "italy" hidden_resource to Athens, Seleukia, & Alexandria in the next version, so that when those cities get huge the event will trigger.

EDIT: This just reminded me: I never got that event with my still going 080 Roman campaign. :clown:

I of the Storm
04-23-2007, 21:56
EDIT: This just reminded me: I never got that event with my still going 080 Roman campaign. :clown:

See...:yes:

Thanks alot for the quick answer Marcus!

I of the Storm
04-24-2007, 01:28
Giving Capua the "huge" status solved the problem. The "March of time" triggered as it should. And Capua as a huge city shouldn't be too much of an imbalancer either.
Thanks again.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-24-2007, 02:46
Glad to help. :2thumbsup:

Southern Hunter
04-24-2007, 03:05
Is there any word on whether this will be included in the next version of EB?

Dumbass
04-24-2007, 16:50
Can you make restrictions on some settlements building wooden and stone walls. Only the major cities can build stone walls eg. Most greece, italy cities, the not so major only wooden eg. Bostra, petra, and for not major at all settlements, no walls eg. far north steppe provinces. Also can you make it possible for babarians to build stone walls, but only when their cities reach large city status.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-24-2007, 22:44
I opted not not remove walls since all of the cities in the game represent major cities. The minor unwalled ones aren't there or are resource icons. Though I have considered restricting some...

The requirements for stone wall are the same for all factions and cultures. So I can't make different peoples get the same thing at different points. But giving the Gauls stone walls might be a good idea (despite them looking wrong for Gauls).

Spoofa
04-25-2007, 03:49
Roma for me is still stuck at 2 levels below Huge city, the population is 16000 though, but there Isnt anymore of that "estimate" of how large your city needs to get to upgrade again, intended?

btw, sorry I've brought this up before, just confirming.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-25-2007, 07:33
Roma for me is still stuck at 2 levels below Huge city, the population is 16000 though, but there Isnt anymore of that "estimate" of how large your city needs to get to upgrade again, intended?

btw, sorry I've brought this up before, just confirming.
Have you installed any other mod after installing this one? It sounds like you have an incorrect regions file. Are other cities that should grow not?

Dan_Grr
04-25-2007, 07:56
I think I know what he means. Oxtraca, the lusotanan capital reached 6000 a while ago and I received a message saying "town expands" or something like that, but in Oxtraca there is no building available to build in order to get the next patch of buildings. It's a capital after all, it should maybe grow up to 12000. The reason Im saying this is because I suspect the AI's settlements are growing like hell, and mine isn't.

I just conquered and exterminated an Eleutheroi settlement in northern france that was 9000, and there may be more like this. Isn't the AI getting population bonuses? I for once am not.

Dumbass
04-25-2007, 16:55
I think ai setlements are growing so large because there is a script that replenishes troops trained from settlements, so small villages don't get drained of their population by the trigger happy ai (Getai anyone?). MAA, maybe you could alter the script so that once an AI town reaches a certain level or population then their population does not get replenished by the script.

I of the Storm
04-26-2007, 00:20
I just want to express my gratitude for this City Mod. It's been a great improvement for my Romani campain (no need for drastic measures anymore once a city grows in size). Adds the last bit of flavour to EB. Thanks, MAA.

Spoofa
04-26-2007, 03:26
no i dont think ive installed any other mods ontop of it, the only thing i DID do as far as modding goes is i changed some unit sizes, which shouldnt make any difference.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-26-2007, 03:34
Dan_Grr, I decided to only put one town in Iberia that can get up to large_city. Oxtraca seems a little bit too 'rural'. Again, I wish I could have made the requirements faction specific.

Dumbass, nice idea. I'm not an experienced scripter, but I'll see if there is a code I can use as a population cutoff point.

I of the Storm, thanks. :2thumbsup:

MastaSpoofa, maybe try deleting the map.rwm again. If that doesn't fix it, then maybe reinstall the city mod and delete the map.rwm. All of that should be savegame compatible.

Spoofa
05-20-2007, 04:19
Any plan's to update this for .82?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-20-2007, 06:18
Maybe.
I think it may be compatible right now. It should be compatible. I don't recall all of what went into the "v0.81a v2" update, but it was mostly just collecting all of the fixes into one. I don't see how any of it would conflict, but knowing my luck, it will... somehow.
I might just restart it from scratch to insure compatiblity... :dizzy2:

Spoofa
05-20-2007, 17:53
well if it takes the first cohort mod then it may not be, because i tried installing the .81 version and it wouldnt let me start a new campaign, with usual new mod procedures taken

Darth Stalin
05-22-2007, 17:32
1. Is the City Mod already compatible with patch v2? I know that was asked before, but have You, MAA, made any tests to see if the City Mod is compatible?

2. Is the City Mod already compatible with the latest First Cohort 1.3 mod? (the one already based on patch v2) - or what should be done to allow it to be safely added to FC?

I have so far installed EB 0.81a and patched it with v2 patch; now I don't know if adding your City Mod v1[1].1 (this is the name of a *.zip file) can do any damage to that install? Or can there later be Watchman's mod installed over this?
AFAIK the FC and Watchman's mods cooperate with each other quite well when they're installed in such order: FC first, Watchman's then.
However, where should I add City Mod to work properly? Or what file would be enough to be added to the game to work OK? (maybe adding just Descr_regions is enough, or am I wrong?).

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-23-2007, 01:35
I haven't even downloaded "v0.81a v2". I have four versions of EB on my computer right now and don't want to fit another. "v0.81a v2" is essentially just "v0.81a" with fixes included, so I don't know what would cause problems. Frankly, if you weren't having problems with "v0.81a" you didn't really need to update to "v0.81a v2".

When things slow down for me, I'll try collecting all the things I did for the City Mod, current and what I had been planning, and start over from scratch using "v0.81a v2" and the newest version of the First Cohort Mod.

Again, the current version should work with "v0.81a v2".

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-30-2007, 07:11
Ok, I've updated this for "EB v0.81a v2" with CMv2.0.

I was going to add a couple more features but decided not to. Amoungst them:
1) City Replenishment rework. I was going to decrease the amount that the AI gets when recruiting units but I decided against it because it would take so long to do.
2) AI Money Bonuses. Since I made changes to the script and adding a money script no longer works with this mod, I was going to alter or add one of the money script reworks, but I didn't. I wasn't sure everyone would want this. Plus, I stopped following that thread when started growing by a page a day and I don't know the status of that project or which script would be the best to add. And, I would want to ask the creator before I added their script.

Redmeth
05-30-2007, 07:30
2) AI Money Bonuses. Since I made changes to the script and adding a money script no longer works with this mod, I was going to alter or add one of the money script reworks, but I didn't. I wasn't sure everyone would want this. Plus, I stopped following that thread when started growing by a page a day and I don't know the status of that project or which script would be the best to add. And, I would want to ask the creator before I added their script.
Sorry, I don't understand what why doesn't adding a money script work?
I guess you'd have to copy-paste the code manually as the EB_BS is altered is that what you mean? And check out the first page of the money script thread all the important info is in the first 2 posts ( I believe you know this). I think permission is not a problem. Also most of the work has stopped as Errant is a beta-tester right? Sheep is away or something, JMRC is the only one working on a script of his, and I'm trying to make a collaboration with mpl071 to combine the money script and the merc script.
So by all means, have a look and tell us what you think.

mlp071
05-30-2007, 08:04
Ok, I've updated this for "EB v0.81a v2" with CMv2.0.

I was going to add a couple more features but decided not to. Amoungst them:
1) City Replenishment rework. I was going to decrease the amount that the AI gets when recruiting units but I decided against it because it would take so long to do.

I think there was some talk about EB team lowering city replenish numbers, but i am not sure is that going to happen.

Regarding money scripts...While working on mercs file, i tested all 3 existing ones several times.They generally give you, more or less same results, despite having diferent approach to "infinite" stacks problem.And they are quite finished for this version.

As far as i know, project is very alive, but is waiting to see what is going to be changed in next EB version.Big changes (i don't know is there going to be any) could make quite difference in any mod, as you probably know better them me.

As Redmeth mentioned , we are trying to get money script and merc file incorporated. I know you can use anything that i make anytime you want.

bovi
05-30-2007, 08:23
We are debating how to reduce population replenishment, triggered by Dumbass' suggestion here. There are diverging views within the team on this as well as limitations in the script engine and how it ends up is not certain.

The Errant
05-30-2007, 08:46
MAA. Feel free to use my money script if you want. The latest version includes changes to the population replenishment rate. I cut it to roughly half of what it was in the vanilla EB script for 0.81a.
It helped tremendously in keeping the AI stack parades in check. I might have gone overboard a bit on it. 3/4 would propably have been enough, but I like a slower paced game.
I'm not sure if it's possible to make cutoffs in the population script, based on settlement size. But if it is, it's definately worth trying.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-30-2007, 09:52
Sorry, I don't understand what why doesn't adding a money script work?
I guess you'd have to copy-paste the code manually as the EB_BS is altered is that what you mean? And check out the first page of the money script thread all the important info is in the first 2 posts ( I believe you know this). I think permission is not a problem. Also most of the work has stopped as Errant is a beta-tester right? Sheep is away or something, JMRC is the only one working on a script of his, and I'm trying to make a collaboration with mpl071 to combine the money script and the merc script.
So by all means, have a look and tell us what you think.
Yes, you can cut and paste it manually, but a good many people would be too afraid to do that and/or would mess up (as it is easy to with cut and pasting scripts).

I haven't read all the work in the money script thread, and only looked over it every now and then. (Which is ironic since it is something I'd like to see perfected. And since I was there suggesting things when Eminos was first conceiving his.) I realized there were a couple download links, but I wasn't sure which one included what and which one would fit better. In the end, I felt, since I hadn't tested them I wouldn't add them. I posted that comment, hoping someone would post and tell me which script would be best. :clown:

Actually, I'm going to be busy next week (or maybe even the next two or three weeks) (starting tommorrow) and I wanted to finish this and release a 081av2 version with the dynamic celtic reforms before I was too busy. That's why I didn't properly get everything together, like a money script (originally I planned to make my own).

MAA. Feel free to use my money script if you want. The latest version includes changes to the population replenishment rate. I cut it to roughly half of what it was in the vanilla EB script for 0.81a.
It helped tremendously in keeping the AI stack parades in check. I might have gone overboard a bit on it. 3/4 would propably have been enough, but I like a slower paced game.
I'm not sure if it's possible to make cutoffs in the population script, based on settlement size. But if it is, it's definately worth trying.
That sounds great! I was going to cut it exactly in half to test what that range would do, so that sound exactly perfect! Ok, "The Errant", I'll use your script for those two parts of the script and try to get a v2.1 together in the next couple days, time willing. Thank you.

----------

As always, any bugs, complaints, or suggestions, please post them.

MAA

The Errant
05-30-2007, 11:17
Here is a download link: http://www.axifile.com?6463893

Word of caution! It's still based on the EBBS file of 0.81a unupdated to V2. So if any typos exist in the settlement names of the population replenishment script. Make sure you fix those manually. It took me several hours just to halve the values, for both recruited infantry and cavalry units, so checking that part of script for typos wasn't that high a priority.

I found out the hard way how a couple of miserable typos kept the whole script from working.

Redmeth
05-30-2007, 21:46
I forgot to ask about this, you say you introduced dynamic reforms for the celts, how do they work exactly? Like when the Casse unify Britain the first reform kicks in? Or when they conquer all their homeland including the Belgae?
I think these dynamic reforms are great to have but they should have more complex components for the player (like the Roman Marian reform) and should only be dependent on time and some territories held (fewer than for the player) for the AI. Because I believe the AI would never ever get the Roman Marian reforms,

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-30-2007, 23:14
Here is a download link: http://www.axifile.com?6463893

Word of caution! It's still based on the EBBS file of 0.81a unupdated to V2. So if any typos exist in the settlement names of the population replenishment script. Make sure you fix those manually. It took me several hours just to halve the values, for both recruited infantry and cavalry units, so checking that part of script for typos wasn't that high a priority.

I found out the hard way how a couple of miserable typos kept the whole script from working.
Thanks. I was going to edit the population replenishment thing, took a second look at the size and thought, "That'll take days to change. And I know I'll make a mistake somewhere and give some town 1000 population ever time they recruit a unit or something stupid." Thanks for doing the work for me. :clown:

I forgot to ask about this, you say you introduced dynamic reforms for the celts, how do they work exactly? Like when the Casse unify Britain the first reform kicks in? Or when they conquer all their homeland including the Belgae?
I think these dynamic reforms are great to have but they should have more complex components for the player (like the Roman Marian reform) and should only be dependent on time and some territories held (fewer than for the player) for the AI. Because I believe the AI would never ever get the Roman Marian reforms,
I didn't want to make the reforms too complicated. For one thing, the official celtic reforms have been made and will be in the next EB release. Currently the reforms are easy to get. Basically two requirements for each level. For the first you just need to take all of Gaul or Britain (depending on who you are) and it be at least 250BC. The second reforms happen when you achieve your faction's winning conditions (excluding raids) and it is 200BC.

Redmeth
05-30-2007, 23:19
But if you achieved your VC's what would be the incentive for playing?
The raids are pretty easy to get and to only get access to the last and perhaps best units in your roster only a few years before achieving victory is a bit of a downer.
Unless you just kept playing and proposed yourself more VC's but that's just not the same.
Are the official reform requirements the same as the ones in the city mod?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-30-2007, 23:27
Well, if you haven't reached your victory conditions by they time you reach the default date (120BC?), then you'll get them then, still. But I think getting the victory conditions is easier than waiting till 120BC. I didn't want to make them easy, but I did want to make them achievable.

I don't recall the official reform triggers, but they are different. First one includes building a certain number of a certain level of market. Complex and historical.

I've also altered the Roman Reforms slightly, btw.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-31-2007, 07:44
Ok, I've added The Errant's money script and population replenishment script adjustments and released a new version. I made a slight change, as suggested by mlp071 as well. I also took this time to make a couple other changes, the only noteworthy one being an adjustment to Taras.

Check the first post for the download link.

mlp071
06-01-2007, 02:19
You have alot of nice features in your mod.I like limitations in cities , so they are all not same size in the end . Makes it more realistic.

good job:2thumbsup:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-01-2007, 04:49
Thanks.

I was hoping this would be the last release for a while, but I just remembered a bunch or stuff I wanted to add. But right now I just feel, 'oh well.'

Tito Pullo
06-16-2007, 17:54
Great mod!!

I'm playing your mod as a base and edited some files with modifications that others modders made and I wanted to try, like mercenary (mpl071), elephant fixed, whatchman, thorlof battlesystem,force diplomacy, victory conditions..

My personal campaing Is going well, I'm nearly 210 and all faction have reasonable population, money and army. Potolemoi and Arche are the big powers, followed by Romani(me) and karthadast, well see what happens in the next years.

The perfect spy is enabled in citymod 2.1

Thanks!! and sorry for my english is pretty bad.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-16-2007, 20:30
Thanks.

I think population levels are actually too low. I've seen some AI cities reduced to 400 population. I think I'll have the original replenishment script in the next release.

I noticed the perfect spy thing too, I think it was either part of EBv0.81av2 or First Cohort mod, because I didn't alter it.

Tito Pullo
06-17-2007, 01:26
The spy is active in 0.81v2 but in the add on version I don't have full version installer. First cohort doesn't alter the script.

Changes to population replenish are savegame compatible?:2thumbsup:

Salu2

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-17-2007, 02:40
Changes to population replenish are savegame compatible?:2thumbsup:

Salu2
Yeah, but I don't know if my next version will be. I have played a long campaign to test my minimod and have found a bunch of errors and stupid mistakes. Plus I've been making some adjustments to recruitment that I may add in then next version.

Tito Pullo
06-17-2007, 22:14
I wander if those errors you mention broke something important for the campain
or make a permanet ctd:2thumbsup:, cause I'm playing a long campaing and I want to reach a victory condicion for the first time as romani ( I alway quit at 100 bc).
I'm pretty pleased with this current campaing, Im kinda of roleplayer I give some historical flavour with some cheats.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-18-2007, 01:26
No, nothing broken or serious, just stuff like noticing some cities getting big and thinking, "Why did I make that city get big?" Also some problems with the 'noroads' hidden_resource placement.

Treverer
07-30-2007, 03:53
Hello there,

the link to download this mod is down ... for me at least. Does someone else have the some experience?

Thx in advance ...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
07-30-2007, 07:17
The link is working now. The TWC was down earlier today, so I believe that was the problem.

Ice
08-06-2007, 20:51
Would the game work ok with Redmeth's improved mercenary script? I see you have already made money script changes to the game.

Lovejoy
08-06-2007, 21:12
I'm pretty sure it will work. 99.999% sure. :sweatdrop:

You can always just check yourself, just make sure to backup the merc-file. :idea2:

MAA: Love your mod. You should try and convince the EB team to include many of the CM featrues in the next EB build, such as: restricted roads, stone walls, popuation growth and huge cities. :D

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-06-2007, 22:18
Yeah, the merc file works fine with this mod. I almost added it, but didn't at the last minute.

Thanks Lovejoy. Some population growth reductions will be in the next EB build. And a while back there was talk about road restriction for the deserts. The team doesn't want to restrict city sizes, though. They feel it restricts too much on the possibilities of alternate history.

Treverer
08-07-2007, 01:12
Hello there,

let me first thank you for your great (sub-) mod. I really enjoy playing it. :beam:
But I experienced something very strange, a bug perhaps: :help:
playing with Pontos, I quickly got into massive debts, and I had CTDs after a while. :furious3:
Only after cheating myself out of debts, the CTDs stopped. :idea2:

Yours,
Treverer

Ice
08-07-2007, 03:52
Something odd is happening. i reviewed the 4 pages of this thread and I've seen something similar in a few other people's responses.

I got a message that Rome reached its 12k population mark, but I couldn't build the next building to turn it into a large city. I think something maybe up with it because I upgraded a small town into a large town with no problem.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-07-2007, 08:35
Treverer:
That's odd. When did the CTDs happen? Did you have any towns that were nearly revolting and after you got money you stablized?

Ice:
Well, you'll get the message whenever a city can upgrade, even if I have stopped the next level of upgrade. Rome should most definately be able to upgrade, though. I remember something like that happening to me once. I believe the problem is the map.rwm. Did you delete right after you installed this mini-mod (in the ...\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\base\ folder)? Either way, delete again right now and reload your save.

Ice
08-07-2007, 09:03
Treverer:
That's odd. When did the CTDs happen? Did you have any towns that were nearly revolting and after you got money you stablized?

Ice:
Well, you'll get the message whenever a city can upgrade, even if I have stopped the next level of upgrade. Rome should most definately be able to upgrade, though. I remember something like that happening to me once. I believe the problem is the map.rwm. Did you delete right after you installed this mini-mod (in the ...\Rome - Total War\EB\Data\world\maps\base\ folder)? Either way, delete again right now and reload your save.

I tried, and it didn't work.

Oh yeah, I have more info on the problem. It's pretty bad. I can't upgrade past a large town. I tried Baktra and a steppe faction. Both had the same problem. I'll get the message, but I can't build the correct building. I'm not sure what is up. I'll try deleting the map.rwm again though.

Ice
08-07-2007, 09:05
Edit: Problem fixed. Apparently there were two map.rwms. I deleted them both this time and it worked. Go figure.

Treverer
08-07-2007, 09:56
Treverer:
Well, I think I have localized the problem: :idea2:
I played with an 'older' savegame, the game hadn't the the mod at its start. :oops: Well, I kept (& keep) playing giving me enough money to stay in the plus at the end of each turn (Though I do not need it anymore ...).

Call me cheater! :beam:

EDIT: OMG, me too! The map.rmw (rwm, rmv, rvm, vrm, rrr, mmm, www, ... )

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-07-2007, 10:02
The map.rwm sure can cause things to act weird sometimes. :dizzy2:

Treverer
08-07-2007, 12:07
A simple question: why is this (sub-) mod integrated in EB? At least the ..., let's call it "city-stuff". Well, maybe I should ask "why is this 'city-stuff' not part of vanilla RTW?" :inquisitive:

Ice
08-07-2007, 19:39
One more question: When you say "Romans Reforms altered", what exactly does that mean?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-07-2007, 21:36
A simple question: why is this (sub-) mod integrated in EB? At least the ..., let's call it "city-stuff". Well, maybe I should ask "why is this 'city-stuff' not part of vanilla RTW?" :inquisitive:
I'm sorry, I don't follow...
Why didn't CA make city sizes limited to 'special' cities?

One more question: When you say "Romans Reforms altered", what exactly does that mean?
I made them slightly easier to get. Moved the dates a bit. I think I put it 250, 200, & 150 instead of 242, 172, & 132.

Ice
08-07-2007, 22:38

I made them slightly easier to get. Moved the dates a bit. I think I put it 250, 200, & 150 instead of 242, 172, & 132.

Oh nice. I never get the Marian troops because I always quit around 190 BC because I'm a gigantic superpower and it gets old. This should be fun.

Treverer
08-08-2007, 05:18
Ahh, the barriers of language ....:help: :furious3:

What I was saying is, why did CA give every settlement the possibility to grow into ungovernable metropolises? Why not limiting the growth of (most) the settlements to a certain size? In vanilla endgames, your biggest challenge is the management of all your "large" & "huge cities".:wall:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-08-2007, 07:41
Ahh, the barriers of language ....:help: :furious3:

What I was saying is, why did CA give every settlement the possibility to grow into ungovernable metropolises? Why not limiting the growth of (most) the settlements to a certain size? In vanilla endgames, your biggest challenge is the management of all your "large" & "huge cities".:wall:
I know, some cities in vanilla are just completely unmanagable. Like Patavium and Tarsus. I remember I had to let them rebel, retake them, and slaughter them just to keep them from going crazy.

For one thing, CA seems to make city size and technology level directly coorelated. Like population level and the ability to train elite units should have any connection. :wall: So for one thing, in vanilla, if you wanted any good units, you had to make all of your cities huge. In M2TW, you can't even train gunpowder units unless your city is huge. :wall:

To me, I just don't like the look of huge cities covering the map, all equally populated, equally huge, equally important. But I'm rambling now...

Ice
08-08-2007, 08:22
I know, some cities in vanilla are just completely unmanagable. Like Patavium and Tarsus. I remember I had to let them rebel, retake them, and slaughter them just to keep them from going crazy.

For one thing, CA seems to make city size and technology level directly coorelated. Like population level and the ability to train elite units should have any connection. :wall: So for one thing, in vanilla, if you wanted any good units, you had to make all of your cities huge. In M2TW, you can't even train gunpowder units unless your city is huge. :wall:

To me, I just don't like the look of huge cities covering the map, all equally populated, equally huge, equally important. But I'm rambling now...

Its alright, we agree. That's why we play EB and use your mod with first cohorts. Makes the game enjoyable for those who like realism and history.

Great work. :2thumbsup:

Treverer
08-08-2007, 11:40
Its alright, we agree. That's why we play EB and use your mod with first cohorts. Makes the game enjoyable for those who like realism and history.

Great work. :2thumbsup:
Sorry to repeat my question (ashes on my head):

but WHY IS THIS MOD NOT PART OF EB, then???

Ice
08-08-2007, 20:37

I believe it's because the Devs don't want to control history. If things changed historically, a few cities possibly could have grown more than they actually did.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-08-2007, 22:34
Yeah, the team doesn't want to limit the possiblities of cities. If history was different, some cities that weren't historically important might have grown huge.

Foot
08-08-2007, 23:39

Um, because we don't want as part of our mod. We are looking at other ways to restrict growth in certain areas.

Foot

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
09-12-2007, 19:37
*Shameless bump since this fell to page2.*

Dram
09-13-2007, 17:22
Hey Marcus, I really like the sound of the conditional Celtic reforms you put in. I was just wondering if it is possible to simply cut and paste the relevent section from the script.txt over the default one to implement them, without installing the rest of the mod? I'm assuming the reform changes dont rely on any other files outside the main script file.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
09-13-2007, 20:35
Hey Marcus, I really like the sound of the conditional Celtic reforms you put in. I was just wondering if it is possible to simply cut and paste the relevent section from the script.txt over the default one to implement them, without installing the rest of the mod? I'm assuming the reform changes dont rely on any other files outside the main script file.
Nope, I'm pretty sure they'll work by themselves. If you'd like, just cut that section out and put it over the original reforms at the top of the script.

Spoofa
09-14-2007, 01:24
I'm sure after the EB team figures out and impliments their city control method then everything will be pretty open but not unrealistic as in, by 252 you have populations in the 10000's in places like ambrakia, aka a large city.

I personally think that the AI shouldnt get more ppl in their cities when they recruit units, since their cities just grow way out of control so i have to exterminate every single settlement i capture after my initial grab of control.

MButcher
10-05-2007, 19:50
Is this mod compatible with BI? Because whenever I install it I can't start a new campaign.

Admetos
10-05-2007, 20:06
Yeah it is, I run it with BI with no problems what so ever.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
10-05-2007, 20:08
Is this mod compatible with BI? Because whenever I install it I can't start a new campaign.
It works with BI, but you have to follow the same steps as you would to get EB to work on BI, after installing this minimod.

EDIT: Don't want to bump this, so I'll edit.
Hey, this got stickied, and I didn't do it. How long has it been like this without me noticing?

Dumbass
10-13-2007, 10:05
Hey MarcusAureliusAntoninus, any chance of updating your excellent mod to 1.0? I simply can't play 1.0 until I have City Mod installed.

Spoofa
10-13-2007, 21:04
for real, every city has 3+ % population growth.

It is extremely.. annoying.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
10-14-2007, 04:37
I haven't updated it yet, for a couple reasons: I was seeing if there would be any quickfixes necessary, I wanted to let people see if they liked 'vanilla' EB and decided they didn't want a change, haven't had the time to make room for an additional version of EB (I have a development copy but I would need to mod a v1.0 to be sure), and I haven't had tons of time lately. I'll try to create a new version of the citymod within a week or so.

Spoofa
10-14-2007, 05:45
I really hate this massive population growth and It's almost to the point where I cant play without some control.

Dumbass
10-14-2007, 08:33
City mod within a week. That would be great. Now all I have to do is go a week without starting a proper eb campaign.

Spoofa
10-14-2007, 17:14
Dont worry, I've played one till year 242~, maybe upgrading your city every 30 turns is your style but not mine. :laugh4:

Spoofa
10-18-2007, 03:22
MAA may I ask what all you did to limit the cities to specific sizes and, basically what else you did for the mod?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
10-18-2007, 06:13
MAA may I ask what all you did to limit the cities to specific sizes and, basically what else you did for the mod?
I required hidden resources for the construction of palace buildings.
I listed the changes on the first post. For the next releas, I think I'm just going to stick to restriction city growth and some reduction in growth bonuses for now.

Spoofa
10-18-2007, 23:26
what files did you have to edit to limit the construction of these palaces and what resourses did you use, or did you just make one up?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
10-18-2007, 23:42
Ok, I've uploaded the new version for EB1.0, please see first post.

Right now it is just a base version with very few changes. Please tell me if you are having a bug or wish to suggest something. If there is a city that you think I should have as a large city and don't, or you think there is a city that I have large that shouldn't be, please tell me.

If you wish to change some cities to be different sizes then I have, you can do it yourself quite easily. Just open up the descr_regions.txt (after downloading/installing this minimod) and add/remove the "city", "large", or "huge" hidden_resources in the appropriate towns. Then delete the map.rwm and play. (This can work mid-campaign - I do it often - but it may cause bugs - though I've never had any problems.)

Bootsiuv
10-18-2007, 23:46
Fantastic....our succession game was waiting for this.

Malik of Sindh
10-19-2007, 00:01
Is this save game compatible?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
10-19-2007, 00:15
Is this save game compatible?
Probably... :book:

Spoofa
10-19-2007, 00:17
MAA, you know I love you right? :beam:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
10-19-2007, 00:33
MAA, you know I love you right? :beam:
Thanks... ? :inquisitive:

Please let me know if anything is weird. I only tested it for a couple turns. I am hoping nothing in v1.0 has changed anything to make my changes do anything weird.

Oh, and if someone plays with this for a long time, notices some stuff that seems to be bad and caused by this minimod, and could give me some kind of overview/review, I would be greatful. With things like, "City A had way too much population and since I couldn't upgrade it, it was quite rebellious," or, "When in AI control, City B never got bigger than Large Town due to the lower growth bonuses," or even, "Population growths everywhere were too high / low."

Spoofa
10-19-2007, 00:47
Roger that, will do.

Maksimus
10-21-2007, 20:19
Yeah, the team doesn't want to limit the possiblities of cities. If history was different, some cities that weren't historically important might have grown huge.

I agree, And I like your mod but I would not use it just because it is 'limiting' someones gameplay style - Maybe this would be interesting to know - I made mod like yours two years ago for my RTW vanilla, there were at least 10 people that used it and liked it very much - so I must make one for EB 1 too (after some officiall patcehes ;))... And my impresions were very nice - they are EB style moddifications I think

First of all, limiting someones development is not 'popular':no: that much for me and much of EB and RTW fans I know (there are people that like certan town in a certan time - they would build it up even if they process_q'it realy) -- BUT!

Editing txt scripts that would make a clear stand on what cities can and can not grow big and strong in time is a matter of 'building construction time' and making 'big' cities 'big' from the start. That means adding them the 'historic' content and enable them to have some 'finall stage' buildings from the start.

So Seleucids and Ptolomei would have and Imperial Palace from the start in their Empires (capitol for example) and Royal barracs (like someone could say that at the time EB starts Selucids and Macedonians did not have SilverS or Royall Infantry?? No you cant -They did have and used them all the time actually) - that would go for macedon maybe or even for Rome.. (but that would pass the generall discussion first :juggle2:)

But then you should (as I did) 'tweak' construction and costs time of 'prime buildings' like palaces to some very long period of time (like 20-50 turns). That would go the same for Army baracks or some 'high end' buildings in their midd and final stage (like Temples, Docks-do that is a clear example of my point here from EB:yes: ).. And it is more simple and stable.. only thing you have to do is to edit desc_start and export_desc_buildings in a matter of a few hours..

Anyhow, I suport your efforts to the end - be well my friend:bow:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
10-21-2007, 21:12
Interesting, Maksimus.

One thing against increasing the build time of palace buildings, though. The AI will quickly build the palace as soon as the city can be upgraded, they are hardcoded to do so. If you set the build time at a huge amount, the AI will just sit their building palaces for years. They won't be building infrastructure or MICs and will have a poorly developed town with little recruitment options as they spend those years upgrading. (Just to be sure, no offense to you intended by this post.)

Spoofa
10-24-2007, 04:23
no bugs so far in my Mak campaign, 223 BCE, pella is developing nicely actually, I'm trying to get it to huge but people just seem to like leaving now that its a large city, I guess I've got to draw them back in somehow..... :smash:

pretty bug-free and such, makes my campaigns much more better.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
10-24-2007, 04:31
no bugs so far in my Mak campaign, 223 BCE, pella is developing nicely actually, I'm trying to get it to huge but people just seem to like leaving now that its a large city, I guess I've got to draw them back in somehow..... :smash:

pretty bug-free and such, makes my campaigns much more better.
Good to hear.

Though, unless you changed something, Pella is set to only make it to Large City...

Spoofa
10-24-2007, 04:44
oh NOES!

The capital of the world now cannot grow to huge!

this is bad news indeed.

the citizens shall weep throughout the night for this blasphemy!

:clown:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
10-24-2007, 04:51
:laugh4:

If you want, you can go to the descr_regions.txt and add the 'huge' hidden resource the Pella, delete the map.rwm, and have the changes midcampaign.

Spoofa
10-25-2007, 00:33
oh cool, maybe they wont be weeping tonight after all. :yes:

Gaius marcus
11-21-2007, 21:33
Hey, i downloaded tyour mod to use for MP, and uninstalled it, but my Getic Cities are still limited, and not only that, they limit what i can build and recruit that is alrerady in EB 1.0... which fuckin sucks so i want to know how to permenantly remove your mod, so ic an recruit my good troops and build the huge temples, as it is in regular EB 1.0

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
11-21-2007, 21:38
Hey, i downloaded tyour mod to use for MP, and uninstalled it, but my Getic Cities are still limited, and not only that, they limit what i can build and recruit that is alrerady in EB 1.0... which fuckin sucks so i want to know how to permenantly remove your mod, so ic an recruit my good troops and build the huge temples, as it is in regular EB 1.0
There shouldn't be any recruitment restrictions...

There is no uninstaller. If you want to remove it, you'll have to delete all of EB and reinstall. To make it easier, you could just extract the original EB folder for the installer using 7-zip and save it over your pre-exsisting version of EB (avoiding all of the uninstall/reinstall of the installer exe).

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you do that and install the original over a folder with this mod in it, make sure to delete the map.rwm after doing everything.

Dumbass
11-22-2007, 20:10
I don't think it's savegame compatible, so if you started your game with city mod, then revert back to the original file, the city mod resources file will still be active in your campaign. City mod does not limit what units can be created, and most buildings can be built in large cities.

And from what I can tell from your tone, don't blame your ignorance on the mod creator, he's put a lot of hard work in, and if it fucking sucks, think before downloading a mod next time.

icydawgfish
11-23-2007, 04:27
I love the mod, but I have one question/request. Is it possible for this mod to be made compatable with CirdanDharix's EB tweaks mod? If so, could you do it? Thanks!

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
11-23-2007, 06:46
I love the mod, but I have one question/request. Is it possible for this mod to be made compatable with CirdanDharix's EB tweaks mod? If so, could you do it? Thanks!
What all does that change? I thought that was mostly unit changes, which shouldn't conflict...

icydawgfish
11-23-2007, 20:13
I'll post a link. https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=94823

He said it was incompatable with your mod because he edited the same filees as you did. But correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just add the city size hidden resources? If this could be verified as compatable, or made compatable, that would rock my socks off. :2thumbsup:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
11-24-2007, 04:37
I changed the descr_regions.txt (designating what town gets what size) and the export_descr_buildings.txt (restricting palace construction and changing a dozen or so bonuses on random structures), that is all.

Maksimus
12-06-2007, 23:48
Marcus, my friend, I saw City Mod script's I really liked it.. but why do we need map.rwm?

Also, I wanted to ask, could it work to make the script like this:

Attike
Athenai
greek_cities
Athenaioi
58 177 106
lead, silver, iron, olive_oil, bigport, tradeport, variantgr, SW, C, y1, y2, n4, y8, city, large, huge, italy, royal_barracks
and in exp_b_txt

}
royal_barracks_A1 requires factions { seleucid, } and building_present_min_level government gov1 and building_present_min_level hinterland_reforms1 romani1 and not building_present_min_level hinterland_reforms1 romani2 and
{
capability
{
law_bonus 2
trade_base_income_bonus bonus 2
recruit "roman missile accensi" 0 requires factions { seleucid, } and hidden_resource SW and hidden_resource B and hidden_resource n1 and hidden_resource n2 and hidden_resource y4 and hidden_resource n8 and hidden_resource royal_barracks

so that shoul also work??:shrug:

Also, can you pleas upload some screen's of C_map? I would relly like to see what is happening?

thank you:san_wink:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-07-2007, 01:05
It has a map.rwm because I made changes to the descr_regions. The mod will not work unless you have a map.rwm generated with the new descr_regions.txt, so I added a map.rwm just in case somebody would forget to delete their own before running the minimod.

If you added a hidden_resource with the name "royal_barracks" and then required it for recruitment, it could work just like any other HR. I don't know why you would name the HR as such, though that doesn't matter. (Don't forget to add any new HRs to the list at the very top of the EDB.)

The campaign map looks just like any other v1.0 game except certain cities cannot get beyond certain sizes. I personally don't have a game on this minimod in v1.0 so I can't post any screenshots.

Maksimus
12-07-2007, 02:13
It has a map.rwm because I made changes to the descr_regions. The mod will not work unless you have a map.rwm generated with the new descr_regions.txt, so I added a map.rwm just in case somebody would forget to delete their own before running the minimod.

If you added a hidden_resource with the name "royal_barracks" and then required it for recruitment, it could work just like any other HR. I don't know why you would name the HR as such, though that doesn't matter. (Don't forget to add any new HRs to the list at the very top of the EDB.)

The campaign map looks just like any other v1.0 game except certain cities cannot get beyond certain sizes. I personally don't have a game on this minimod in v1.0 so I can't post any screenshots.

I have tested this It works just fine.. I have screen's in EB Alex thread

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96135&page=2

It's just that there are endless options here.. :thinking2:

But the thing's I added are there just because AI on Alexander is retraining all the time.. so, No body want's to go to Asia Minor Or Greece or Italy and then face endless Army and Royal barrack's in EVERY single town - that is by my opinion (with all respect) one of the weaker stand's of EB, I relly never happend that AS has Royal Barrack's in All cities that are ALL large or huge :shrug:

That is why I am trying to mod here.. :boxing:

Do, the officiall EB ALEX team mod will be out for EB 1.1 :square:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-07-2007, 02:58
Remember that there is a cap on HRs, though. 64, IIRC.

Maksimus
12-09-2007, 07:38
Can you please specify what do you mean by that - I think I know, but just in case.. :square:

Thank's

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-09-2007, 08:49
Like nearly everything in RTW, there is a hardcoded maximum number of hidden resources allowed in the game engine. The maximun number of hidden resources for RTW is 64, #65+ will be ignored by the engine.

Maksimus
12-09-2007, 17:27
Oh.. I see....:wall:

Well, maybe Alex support's more :shrug:

What is the current number? or planned for EB 1.1 64? :curtain:

And thank you for the Alex thread :san_wink:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-09-2007, 21:03
RTW has a cap of 64, so does BI and M2TW, so it would suprise me if they raised the amount just to lower it again with the next release. I think there are only about 20-30 RHs in EB (they are all listed at the top of the EDB) and not many more are planned, maybe a couple.

Maksimus
12-11-2007, 21:52
Marcus? Did you ever tough to 'advance' in the city mod development - as..do you can see what I mean in the Alex-mod thread- but in a wider sence.. like hidden_resource's for Cities would also apply for barrack's and big port's and wall's and Academic's building's and aqueduct's for example?

Or you don't have that much time to mod? :shrug:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-11-2007, 23:20
I've thought about restricting things further, and for that purpose I've moved the city levels at which certain buildings can be built. But I don't really want to force everything to only one way things can develop. What was built where would change greatly based on who wins what wars. I just made this mod so that not everything is everywhere.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-15-2007, 20:36
Udated the mod. Just a small change to integrate the Pahlav fix. Since it is a simple edit, it is save-game compatible. Post here if anything goes wrong...

Horst Nordfink
12-17-2007, 18:46
Cheers Marcus! :2thumbsup:

Seyduna
02-10-2008, 13:04
Does this version contain the changes in export_descr_buildings.txt of the latest rebellion fix?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
02-11-2008, 00:41
Does this version contain the changes in export_descr_buildings.txt of the latest rebellion fix?
No, I haven't updated it to include that. Though, there isn't a huge chance of encountering that kind of bug. (That crash only happens when a town doesn't have a MIC [or its damaged] and the governor's house is damaged as well.)

Danzifuge
03-08-2008, 08:02
although it doesnt ctd in game, i get this message upon quitting the game:

script error in eb/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt at line 23, column 67. unrecognised 'city' as a region resource class (or hidden resource)

i'm running twfanatics first cohort mod with this (including the fix so as to use city mod with it). and also, alexander with eb mod (not the new betas, but the original)

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
03-08-2008, 10:33
Your minimods are conflicting. This message means that the City Mod EDB is not the one being used, and the City Mod is currently having no effect on your game other than giving you error messages..

Danzifuge
03-08-2008, 22:01
Your minimods are conflicting. This message means that the City Mod EDB is not the one being used, and the City Mod is currently having no effect on your game other than giving you error messages..
so alx.exe is the probably the problem, right? twfanatics mod is supposed to support yours so that only leaves alx.exe. if its not having any effect, i might as well leave it as it is rather than reinstall everything.

on second thought, perhaps i should uninstall city mod. the only thing i need is eb's descr_region.txt file. twfanatics first cohort mod has a working export_descr_buildings.txt file. can i anybody send me their original descr_region.txt file?

Maksimus
03-24-2008, 09:29
I have integrated ALXEB City mod version (do in ALXEB mod it allows that about 30% of regions have large or huge capability and 10% huge or so..)

All capitals and some strategic areas can be huge now. And many many cities can be large.. other can all be huge :yes:

Horst Nordfink
04-08-2008, 23:08
Has this been implemented into EBv1.1? If not, is it compatable?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-09-2008, 07:11
It is not part of v1.1, and the current version is not compatible with v1.1.

I wanted to make sure my files were 100% the same as v1.1, so I downloaded v1.1 and just got it installed. I'll try to make a new version that is compatible with v1.1 within the next couple days.

Yabusama's Ghost
04-09-2008, 09:18
Many thanks MarcusAureliusAntoninus, I can't wait for 1.1 upgrade, it really improves the EB experience for me. But surely you don't need to sleep or eat, just get converting man!!!

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-11-2008, 06:24
Hmmm...
I'm having problems here. The trivial script keeps overwriting my map.rwm and I can't even generate a new map.rwm to replace the one that the script is using to replace things with...

I can try bypass the script, but anyone who downloads this mod wouldn't be able to ever get it to work while using the trivial script...
EDIT: No wait, I think I have an idea, but my brain hurts right now. I'll try tommorrow...

Yabusama's Ghost
04-11-2008, 08:31
I don't use the Trivial Script to play the game, rather a desktop shortcut (aswell as allowing me to use the Alex.exe to play as well).

Does this script cause big problems?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-11-2008, 21:59
New version added, compatible with v1.1.

I fixed the problem with the trivial script overwritting the map.rwm by saving over the file that the script overwrites with.

belliger
04-14-2008, 16:18
hi.
here is belliger, new forum member.
you wrote 'New version added, compatible with v1.1.'.

where can i find it?

can't wait....
thank you
belliger

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-14-2008, 22:56
First post in the thread has the download link.

Maion Maroneios
04-19-2008, 12:06
Excellent mod, MarcusAureliusAntoninus! There is one issue though, you see I am using both your mod and the new unitsize fix which both alter the CAMPAIGN_SCRIPT. I wonder if there was any possibility you could apply the changes of your mod using the ''fixed'' text, or point out how I could do it myself, given that won't be a very hard thing to do. Thank you in advance!!!

Dooz
04-19-2008, 19:30
I hate to ask this question, but I must for there is no other option...

Is this save game compatible? :sweatdrop:

I looked through all the pages of the thread looking for "compatible" in the search bar and it was asked once and answered with..... "probably"... I'm just wondering if that's been figured out or confirmed in any way since way back then.

If not, ah, well I guess the savages of the world will be able to build huge cities even before Rome does because of money scripts and population scripts and so on and so forth... they'll be making life much tougher on me...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-19-2008, 21:07
Excellent mod, MarcusAureliusAntoninus! There is one issue though, you see I am using both your mod and the new unitsize fix which both alter the CAMPAIGN_SCRIPT. I wonder if there was any possibility you could apply the changes of your mod using the ''fixed'' text, or point out how I could do it myself, given that won't be a very hard thing to do. Thank you in advance!!!
I only made tiny changes to the campaign script. You can save the fix over this minimod without having any problems nor loss of any critical changes. I'll try to update a new version with the altered campaign_script.txt, but I wanted to wait until I was sure there would be no further changes...

I hate to ask this question, but I must for there is no other option...

Is this save game compatible? :sweatdrop:

I looked through all the pages of the thread looking for "compatible" in the search bar and it was asked once and answered with..... "probably"... I'm just wondering if that's been figured out or confirmed in any way since way back then.

If not, ah, well I guess the savages of the world will be able to build huge cities even before Rome does because of money scripts and population scripts and so on and so forth... they'll be making life much tougher on me...
The answer is still "probably". :sweatdrop:
It should work fine, but if you are making the change late in a campaign, some cities may have already advanced beyond their limit and will be bigger than I set them to be. But I don't see how it could cause any problems.

I would advise against using version "b" mid-campaign though. There is a small chance that will cause problems when loading a saved game, even though it will load a saved game.

Dooz
04-20-2008, 00:26
Ah, perfect! I'm 10 years in so it shouldn't be a problem as far as already having huge cities around... though I guess there might be roads where there shouldn't be as a result of the mod.

However, now I'm a little worried as I just realized I probably can't install the mod as-is because of what Vincent mentioned, the unit size fix business. So with that in mind, I have a small favor to ask of you. Seeing as how the changes made to the campaign script are tiny, do you think you could let me know what they are so I can just implement it that way? Because I'm not sure what will happen if I put in the fixed version in an ongoing campaign, as it's not retroactive.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-20-2008, 00:35
The campaign_script.txt is only read once, when you start a new campaign. It is never referenced again during the campaign. You can change it all you want without any problems, heck, you could delete the file and there would be no changes to your savegame.

cmacq
04-20-2008, 01:27
Has the topic of ancient demography, as in the nature and rate of population increase and decline, been much discussed within the form? I can't remember seeing a single tread with a title that would suggest it had in any detail?

Dooz
04-20-2008, 01:35
So, if I already have the unit size fix, and I overwrite it with this mod, I'll get the functionality of the mod without reverting the unit size fix?

But, if it only applies when starting a new campaign, how can it worked with an ongoing one?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
04-20-2008, 02:09
Has the topic of ancient demography, as in the nature and rate of population increase and decline, been much discussed within the form? I can't remember seeing a single tread with a title that would suggest it had in any detail?
I don't recall any in depth discussion about population growth from a historical standpoint, but from a gameplay standpoint there isn't much that can be changed. The growth in RTW is largely hardcoded, and often tied to other things (like farming income :wall: ), so there isn't much choice when using the RTW engine but to have a constant population growth.

So, if I already have the unit size fix, and I overwrite it with this mod, I'll get the functionality of the mod without reverting the unit size fix?

But, if it only applies when starting a new campaign, how can it worked with an ongoing one?
If you'd like, install this minimod, of which most of it will apply to your ongoing game. Then install the fix again on top of this minimod. That way, when you do start a new campaign you'll get 99% of this minimod, plus the fix.

Well, the campaign_script part won't apply mid-campaign. The only thing I changed was the starting road levels in some towns anyways.

Dooz
04-20-2008, 04:36
Thanks very much, I'll do just that. :bow:

Maion Maroneios
04-20-2008, 13:05
I only made tiny changes to the campaign script. You can save the fix over this minimod without having any problems nor loss of any critical changes. I'll try to update a new version with the altered campaign_script.txt, but I wanted to wait until I was sure there would be no further changes...

Thank you so much MarcusAureliusAntoninus!:2thumbsup: I think I'll start my Mak campaign then finally:p
P.S.: I think they fixed everything in the CAMPAIGN_SCRIPT txt, btw

Ibrahim
04-21-2008, 06:30
I hope Maryab is still a city level...hehe

kepta
05-03-2008, 03:57
Hello i was interested in your mod but was mainly looking for the effects of
If i only use your export_descr_buildings file would this add these effects without removing roads and restricting city sizes or should i just edit my export_descr_buildings useing yours as a guide to achieve that.

Thanks appreciate any help

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-03-2008, 18:35
I just added 5% bonus ever level for the academic structures. The growth reduction was replacement in part or entirely of population growth and health bonuses on most buildings that didn't have to have them.

I only restricted roads in the steppes and deserts, but that effect is in the descr_regions.txt. If you want to only have the building bonus effects without city restrictions, though, it would probably be best to self edit...

kepta
05-04-2008, 04:02
Thanks for the reply mainly just wanted the bonus's for academy building as otherwise i never build them except for my one city and the ai never does. It was easy enough looking at what you did.

Leviathan DarklyCute
05-04-2008, 06:29
How does the City Mod combine with Alexander? Does the game still balanced?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-04-2008, 09:11
How does the City Mod combine with Alexander? Does the game still balanced?
:shrug:
I don't think alx.exe changes anything in this area, so I would amagine nothing is different...

Zack09Holland
05-18-2008, 03:17
i was wondering how can you tell if someone else had the city mod appilied, because i downloaded a saved game and i was wondering wheter or not if there was a way to tell, because his roamn cities were pretty packed, Roma had 18000 and a minor city, taras had 15000 so i just wanted to know if there was a way of telling....

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-18-2008, 03:20
If you don't have it and you are using a savegame from someone who did, there really isn't any way to tell. If there are lots of large and huge cities around (especially for the AI) then they didn't have it. If there aren't, its hard to say. Since Roma can become huge in this minimod, having Roma small but with a lot of people doesn't really tell you anything.

Zack09Holland
05-18-2008, 18:27
well i downloaded it for my game but if i was to use a savegame from someone else how can i tell?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-18-2008, 21:30
There really isn't any way to tell.

||Lz3||
05-23-2008, 06:38
is this save game compatible?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
05-23-2008, 20:42
is this save game compatible?
For the most part. It shouldn't cause any problems.

||Lz3||
05-23-2008, 21:53
what do you mean by most time?:thinking2:

||Lz3||
06-02-2008, 05:29
which files did you changed? so I can do it manually

cause I would like (enourmously) to be able to use this whit alex.exe whitout having to overwrite any file

:huh2:

Mediolanicus
06-02-2008, 17:44
Just dropping in to say I tried your mod for my last campaign. I'm in 226 by now and I must say, this city mod really adds to the game (although it actually takes away... ah the irony).

Anyway,... congrats and thank you on making this, MAA!

Fish-got-a-Sniper
06-09-2008, 21:53
I seem to be having some problems. I downloaded Redmeths' modpack which includes this, the modified EBBS script that removes client rulers, and TW Fanatic's Phalanx/Chariot/Elephant mod. I also downloaded Konny's trait changes. My problem is that now all the cities cannot grow past a large town. Should I just re-download this and install it over what I already have?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-10-2008, 00:04
Yes, I would suggest installing this on the top of everything (last). However, you may loose features of some of those other minimods.

Ibrahim
06-16-2008, 02:33
I have a question: why can I not play with BI.exe when I installed it? (it CTD's as soon as it starts loading). the problem was specifically traced to this mod. it a nice mod though(I'm playing on RTW .exe now).:help::help:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-16-2008, 04:14
If you install this mod then manually make the changes to play on BI, there should be no reason that it doesn't work. Are you using one of the BI minimods?

Ibrahim
06-16-2008, 08:03
nope, not in any form.

satalexton
06-17-2008, 06:53
i'm playing with Alex.exe and for some reason none of my towns grow past large town =/...does it have sth to do with the recent fixes?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-17-2008, 20:54
Did you guys install the citymod after making the bi/alex changes?

telyadi
06-22-2008, 10:38
I'm use CityMod 4.0a, playing Casse and now build up Bratosporios.
I notice two thing:
1. I can build factional MIC5 while it still "Large Town".
2. I can't build paved road, while the neighbour Cenabum (Large Town too) own by Aedui can build it.

So are the symptoms above correct??

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-22-2008, 11:01
Those are actually symptoms of standard EB. In EB, MIC/Barrack levels are not tied to city levels and you can build the full level of them at any city size. And, Casse does not get paved roads. The Celtic paved roads represent well maintained roads that were built in Gaul. No such comparable roads were ever built in Britain, so Casse does not get them.

Havok.
06-23-2008, 18:23
Is this city mod good to go with the other following mini mods
1-spoilers of battle
2-AI unit formation
3-Forced diplomacy

and the installer made by ferromancer of EB/BI with night battles warcry and shield wall?

Ibrahim
06-23-2008, 19:57
Did you guys install the citymod after making the bi/alex changes?

nope.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
06-24-2008, 22:50
Is this city mod good to go with the other following mini mods
1-spoilers of battle
2-AI unit formation
3-Forced diplomacy

and the installer made by ferromancer of EB/BI with night battles warcry and shield wall?
1- I don't know. What files does it change?
2 & 3- Yes, completely compatible.

Ibrahim,
Make sure that the altered descr_regions.txt is in the renamed campaign folder...

||Lz3||
06-26-2008, 01:21
MAA I think I found something... in your files the CAMPAIGN_SCRIPT has "Antigonos" instead of "Antigonos Argeades" as was updated on 18 april :2thumbsup:

Ibrahim
06-26-2008, 04:01
1- I don't know. What files does it change?
2 & 3- Yes, completely compatible.

Ibrahim,
Make sure that the altered descr_regions.txt is in the renamed campaign folder...

done. that's what started the whole CTD problem.. maybe its smething else.
I'll double check.

fenix3279
07-07-2008, 19:56
Will the city mod affect my Arverni reforms? The reforms state that a large city must be built (among other things) in order for the reforms to occur. The city mod keeps a city from growing unless it historically happened. I'm early in the campaign so I can restart if needed. Will I have to disable the city mod if I want the reforms to work as planned?

satalexton
07-08-2008, 00:24
funny, how come i ain getting the vanilla reforms despite rome (the only city in italy that can become huge) being a huge city already? I do recall the original 'Rome' has been modded to somewhere in germany and Roma does have the italy resource...

Olimpian
07-09-2008, 11:38
MAA, could you please tell me which are the provinces that don't allow roads to be built.Cheers.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
07-12-2008, 06:40
I believe the requirement of large cities in the gallic reforms is low, something like three. Since all cities owned by all three factions are taken into account, it shouldn't be too big of a task...

The vanilla reforms are triggered when a faction belonging to the "Roman" culture builds a huge city, as long as said city is in a province with the "Italy" hidden_resource. I gave that resource to the city of Roma (as well as every other city that can get huge), so when Roma gets huge, the reforms should trigger.

I disallowed roads in the steppe provinces and in the deep desert (which basically means the two under Numidia and the one with Ammonion).

QuintusSertorius
07-16-2008, 16:02
I'm going to try this out when I eventually do a new Roman campaign. For someone historically house-ruling things, would I be better off with version "a" or version "b". While I might go with a because it's less intrusive, I have a niggling feeling in some ways b is more authentic. Barbarian and steppe cultures rarely built big settlements.

Also a more general question, will this aid in slowing the game down, and stopping any one faction becoming massively rich really quickly?

Havok.
07-16-2008, 16:15
In my campaign both Aedui and Arveni were building paved roads in their territories :wall:
is this ahistorical or the gauls did build paved roads in there?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
07-18-2008, 08:07
Since most economical structures can be built in the early levels of the city, restricting city size doesn't have a huge effect on slowing factions down. However, since they cannot upgrade their cities, they will get squallor problems sooner and have to keep larger garrisons in their cities.

Paved roads for the Gauls is an EB feature, it is just more appearent with this mod since I lowered the city level required to build paved roads. They aren't really "paved" roads, but the Gauls did build and maintain advanced roadways within Gaul (though not in Britain, sorry Casse). The Gallic "paved" roads represent this advanced roadway.

Havok.
07-18-2008, 08:14
Since most economical structures can be built in the early levels of the city, restricting city size doesn't have a huge effect on slowing factions down. However, since they cannot upgrade their cities, they will get squallor problems sooner and have to keep larger garrisons in their cities.

Paved roads for the Gauls is an EB feature, it is just more appearent with this mod since I lowered the city level required to build paved roads. They aren't really "paved" roads, but the Gauls did build and maintain advanced roadways within Gaul (though not in Britain, sorry Casse). The Gallic "paved" roads represent this advanced roadway.

Ahh, i see, thanks for the reply mate

Cuchalain
08-08-2008, 10:59
I believe the requirement of large cities in the gallic reforms is low, something like three. Since all cities owned by all three factions are taken into account, it shouldn't be too big of a task...

In the FAQ's it states that four large cities are required as part of the trigger for the reforms to take place. Playing as the Casse I have one city that can reach the required size, the Gallic factions have (I assume) one each, making three in total. If I'm correct in my assumption(sp?), where does the fourth come from? Or is there a way to alter the trigger to take this into account?

fenix3279
08-11-2008, 07:57
In the FAQ's it states that four large cities are required as part of the trigger for the reforms to take place. Playing as the Casse I have one city that can reach the required size, the Gallic factions have (I assume) one each, making three in total. If I'm correct in my assumption(sp?), where does the fourth come from? Or is there a way to alter the trigger to take this into account?
This is also a question I'm dying to know since I recently had to abandon an Arverni campaign because I couldn't get the 2nd reforms to occur.

||Lz3||
08-25-2008, 22:15

anyone? <.<

Mediolanicus
08-27-2008, 11:16
anyone? <.<

It's even worse than that. Their are only 2 Celtic cities that can become large.

Camulosadae and Cenabum.

It is possible to reach the reform when you conquer Rome and Arretium as the Aedui or the Arverni.

However... when you play the Casse.

Edit : since I'm encountering the same problem...
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=107153

Celtic_Punk
08-31-2008, 13:40
sorry i went back and looked at the list and noticed that the city i was going to suggest was already at the level it should be... sorry.

xee
09-14-2008, 17:26
Hi, I downloaded this city mod, however I noticed too late that I was wrong and I downloaded an old version.
however, instead of downloading the new version for EB 1.1, I replaced the original export_building file and then I edited it by adding the new resources (city, large and huge) at the start and by adding these resources as requirements for building specific palaces. The export_region file is the same of the mod.
However, the mod now doesn't work at 100%, since every city stops in the level before, so that, if a city in the regional file has city, large and huge as resources, that city stops at large level and when it reaches 24000 people I can't build the imperial palace and upgrade the city to huge level. The same for other cities, many of them may reach the city level but stop at large town, many may reach the large city level but stop at minor city.

I could simply replace the files with the 1.1 version of the mod, but since I' m interested in modding I would also understand what I forgot to edit, for having a better knowledge of files editing.

xee
09-14-2008, 21:17
strange things, now I installed the 4.0 mod (every single file of the zip in the right folder) and I still can't upgrade cities, I also tried to start a new campaign with Romani, Rome is a minor city, I used cheats for increasing population to 12000, event to 30000, but no pro-consul palaces, I started a campaign with Qart-Hadast and I added almost a billion of people to Kart-Hadast, then I opened the city menu and no upgrades.

How could I get large and huge settlements?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
09-30-2008, 18:54
I'm sorry for my lack of replies. I haven't visited the forums much this passed summer and haven't been to this subforum for a month.

I thought you only need three large towns for the celtic reform. Since there are two the celts start with, this would require you to invade Germania, Italia, or Iberia to get the reforms. Since you need four, it is a bit harder. For anyone who wants it easier, you can just alter the EBBS_script.txt. ctrl-f should be able to help you find the correct area.

xee, you proabably need to delete the map.rwm and allow the game to remake it.

subferro
10-24-2008, 16:28
Is there a way to install this without losing land bridges? I put this on RTW + EB 1.1 and when I started a campaign I noticed that I could no longer walk into Sicily. Is that supposed to happen with this mod, or did I install something wrong?

Thanks.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
10-25-2008, 04:18
There are no alteration of the actual map in this minimod. I don't know what happened to you there...
Maybe try deleting the map.rwm file and restarting EB...

Leviathan DarklyCute
11-22-2008, 14:34
Does the City Mod work with 1.2? If not, can you update the version?

Mediolanicus
11-22-2008, 18:28
I'm looking forward to seeing a 1.2 version of you mod, MAA.

I really can't play without this mod anymore...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
11-23-2008, 07:40
I'm somewhat busy right now, but I'll try to have this updated within a week.

Titus Marcellus Scato
11-28-2008, 01:02
I'm looking forward to seeing a 1.2 version of you mod, MAA.

I really can't play without this mod anymore...

Me neither, it's a fantastic mod, keeps the barbarians from taking over the world!

a completely inoffensive name
11-28-2008, 02:54
I am secretly hoping for an 1.2 updated version by tonight as a Thanksgiving present...

Ignopotens
11-28-2008, 08:37
if I were playing as a Hellene I would probably love this mod, but when I started my Sarmatian campaign, I hated it, and so removed it. I appreciate your admission to its Helleno-centrism, but is there some way to simply cap a city's population, instead of reducing its population gain?

I mean, how can anyone who isn't blessed with the inherent ability to produce any cities at all able to expand in the least?

Titus Marcellus Scato
11-28-2008, 12:37
Steppe Horse Archer factions should rely on superior tactics rather than superior numbers to defeat their enemies. If they need more men and can't recruit them from their own towns, they can sack an enemy town, loot it (destroy all the buildings) then use the money gained to hire mercenaries.

In fact other barbarian factions can hire mercenaries too. A barbarian raid into civilised lands by one tribe would often draw in contingents from other tribes eager to join in the fun and get a share of the loot.

As a barbarian faction, you should have the objective of sacking the cities of your civilised enemies and killing their inhabitants, to bring their populations down to your (low) level, rather than trying to build your own towns up to the population level of their cities.

Part of being a barbarian is that your people don't want to live in huge, smelly cities.