PDA

View Full Version : Guide for Rome

Denbo
02-20-2007, 09:07
Hi guys,

I was wondering besides the out dated mini guide in this forum is there a more in depth guide for the Romans anywhere relating to this mod ??

I keep playing the Romans on VH/med and keep getting my arse kicked.

Any pointers please would be great.

Denbo

germanpeon
02-20-2007, 18:08
My suggestion is to use the phalanx tactics you learned while playing as one of the Hellenic factions in vanilla Rome. That is, use your powerful phalanxes to pin the enemy and then flank them with cavalry or some weaker infantry unit, or wait until they break (they will break after fighting Triarii) and run them down with cavalry.
Using these tactics, you can beat most factions armies nearest to you. I would suggest first removing the thorn of the Epirotes from your back. You can then either push north to take northern Italy from the Eleutheroi factions or take tsouthern Italy and move in to capture the two unclaimed Sicilian towns. Dont worry if you see small Carthaginian armies in southern Italy, they are your allies and are only scouting. From there you declare war on the Carthaginians, continue the war into Eprios and take Greece, or Push farther north and take on the Gallic factions.

Velvet Elvis
02-20-2007, 19:16
I try to 'mimic' history somewhat...

Southern Italy and one or both of the Epiros cities in western greece. I like to take just one so the Mak and KH have someone to bully :p
Sicily (will get Carthage all fired up!)
Sardinia and Corsica (you should start bringing in some good cash at this point... if you dont recruit too many high end units)
The Po Valley - make sure the green Gauls are still fighting the yellow Gauls and/or the Germans
Inch your way along the coast through southern Gaul into Iberia (or as close as you can... trying not to piss-off the 'yellow' gallic tribe just yet
Try to knock off Carthage for good in Africa (from Carthage west at least) and Iberia
Southern Greece - Don't go north of Pella and try not to have a shared border with the Giedi (leave the Mak battered but still alive with a couple of cities in the north)
The rest of Iberia and the Aegean islands
Start picking your way north into Gaul and east into Asia Minor

Not saying it's the best way, but it's more or less the way the Romans did it. Just as a gauge... Carthage in 149 BC and Athens in 198 BC; came into the Republic.

Also, regular tribute of 100 or 200 for say 30 turns (or as long as needed) is an effective way to keep a faction you share a border with at bay. If you do it early and often, it works very well while they are busy fighting someone else (Mk, KH, the Gauls) and can delay their assult once they have no one to fight except you if you've been funding them consistently for a number of years.

Hope that gives your a starting point at least!