PDA

View Full Version : Best overall infantry unit pre 1.2 patch?

chickenhawk
02-23-2007, 00:39
:help: Hello everyone, I am finally taking up multiplayer in a semiserious way and I wanted to ask what infantry units, especially non missile units are worth the money? I am currently getting my head handed to me online and was looking for a few hints.:inquisitive:

pike master
02-23-2007, 01:24
spearmen in schiltrom

ElmarkOFear
02-23-2007, 01:31
Scottish Pikes, French Pikes and after the patch, I would imagine the sword units and 2-handed axe units will be pretty good too. We can't say for sure, since those fixes change everything concerning unit vs unit success. Looks like we will have more fun testing these things once the patch is released. I find this testing very enjoyable and it is one of the reasons I bought M2TW. :)

KrooK
02-23-2007, 15:52
scottish pikes
beats everything for 230
you can buy 8 pikes, heavy can and nothing can stop you

guyfawkes5
02-23-2007, 15:57
At late era it may be worth it getting noble and armoured pikemen instead; they make a good rush army against musketeer armies. Varangians may well be unstoppable after the two-handed bug is fixed in the upcoming patch... if you check their stats it's almost scary.

Carl
02-23-2007, 16:14
He DID specifcy pre-patch guys...

Plenty of possabillities, but if you mean in terms out outright OTT killing power, i'd say JHI.

guyfawkes5
02-23-2007, 16:24
But be sure to keep them away from cavalry since they have two-handed weapons.

Stig
02-23-2007, 18:06
Dismounted conquistadores, by far imo

CeltiberoMordred
02-23-2007, 18:39
Infantry vs infantry units: Jannissary heavy infantry. Expensive, its handicap is being vulnerable to cavalry charges.

If we consider there is also cavalry around, then the answer is pike units, like scottish noble pikemen, portuguese aventuros or swiss pikemen. Tercio pikemen has a good eff/cost ratio too.

AggonyLion
02-23-2007, 19:27
Aye damn Pike men are best at defence but make sure u dont have them on hold when u move them cuz they move so slow :wall:

-AggonyLion{Leo}

Goalie
02-23-2007, 19:50
Besides the obvious Scottish pikes in high era, I would go with the lowly Woodsmen. They are extremely cheap at 170 florins and can be easily and cheaply upgraded if used correctly, they can cut through armoured enemies with easy. They are perhaps one of the most underestimated units in the game and one of the most cost effective. I am just basing this off my experience with High Era games on multiplayer, I do not have much experience with the Late and All era units.

Lusted
02-23-2007, 19:54
But be sure to keep them away from cavalry since they have two-handed weapons.

Wrong, only the 2 handed axe animation units are bugged, not all 2 handed units. The JHI are in fact very lethal in combat and will dice most cavalry units in melee.

Carl
02-23-2007, 20:37
Wrong, only the 2 handed axe animation units are bugged, not all 2 handed units. The JHI are in fact very lethal in combat and will dice most cavalry units in melee.

I think he just meant that since they don't have spearwall they can't recive a formed cav charge. Against engaged cav they are evil of course.

Monarch
02-24-2007, 01:39
Dismounted conquistadores, by far imo

Perhaps but in terms of value for money I find them kinda pointless because you can just get tercio pikeman.

chickenhawk
02-28-2007, 02:20
Thanks for the help gentlemen. I am becoming slightly less incompetent, learning is a wee bit hard on my troops however. :)

IrishArmenian
02-28-2007, 03:13
Overall, I would say Dismounted Dvor because they can pepper a unit with arrows (Missile attack of 10, I think) and then truly go toe-to-toe and defeat the survivors. Great unit, those Dvor.
I like Noble Pikemen very much.
Noble Swordsmen are very good too.
Christian Guard can hold their own.
When the 2 hand fix is released, I have money on Varangion Guard, Berdiche Axemen, High Era Gallioglach (Lightly armoured, but attack of 18!), and some others.

Demok
03-06-2007, 01:37
scottish pikes are best, but other than pikemen, best infantry in the game are sudanese tribesmen or highlanders... by far.

pike master
03-06-2007, 16:06
two handed swordsmen

Sun of Chersonesos
03-06-2007, 20:34
Hi =)

I think in the High or Early period it's the sudanese tribesmen, however, in the Late period I'd put my money on Venetian Heavy Infantry.

Monarch
03-15-2007, 00:13
two handed swordsmen

The reason they suck is in the name.

pike master
03-15-2007, 03:42
ive had excellent performance out of two hander swordsmen. especially the zwiehanders and the forlorn hope. if morale is good i will usually spread formation. for some reason they fight better that way.

on another note i like the swiss guard obvious there.

the papal guard rocks once they get partial plate the papal guard is one tough unit.

Xehh II
03-15-2007, 03:45
Best unit is Sudanese Tribesmen.

IrishArmenian
03-15-2007, 19:18
ive had excellent performance out of two hander swordsmen. especially the zwiehanders and the forlorn hope. if morale is good i will usually spread formation. for some reason they fight better that way.
I think this could be a hidden trait to display space to swing swords.
Cost effectiveness, I think Highland Nobles, Woodsmen and Croat Axemen are among the best.
EDIT: I have a 2-Hand Fix, so that might render this useless to many of you.

pike master
03-15-2007, 21:10
Lisurian black banner halberdiers:yes:

black avengers

troll slayers

t 900 heavies with the term cannon and target designator

Incongruous
03-16-2007, 01:27
The Forlorn Hope.
They are like walking tanks on crack. I wiped out three units of swiss guard with two units of forlorns.

Woodsmen also seem pretty useful.

Oh and Hungary's battlefied asassins are also very cool.

Demok
03-16-2007, 21:48
2 handed swords aren't bugged. just axes and bills/ halberds.

Highland nobles are fantastic infantry.

Atalus
03-22-2007, 04:11
I like the Dis. Dvor and Dis. Boyar Sons

Tyranus
03-23-2007, 19:00
Anything that isnt a pike unit or costs more than peasants is useless with Naffatun being the only exception thus far in the game with the bugs.