PDA

View Full Version : TRoG Chancellor Reports

Innocentius
02-23-2007, 23:22
Quite self-explaining; this is the thread for Chancellors to make their reports for the The Republic of Genoa MTW PBM.

Short info on how it works:

The game is divided into Rounds which is the rule of a Consul, and each Round is then split into periods of ten years (to make management easier).

So it should go something like this:

Round 1.1: This happened in 1089 and that in 1101. We invaded Naples in 1096...

Round 1.2: In 1098 we did this and that, built...

And so on, though a lot more detailed and with some roleplaying into it.

Kavhan Isbul
02-23-2007, 23:50
Would it be possible to also to have a detailed report on the current situation of Genoa and the four houses of nobles, giving a screenshot of the strategic map and listing each house's current wealth, income, troops and generals (if any), and population loyalty (it would be good to know if it is dropping)? I wonder if we should start with two shorter, 5-year period to make sure that everyone knows what is going on. It is a bit hard to plan for 10 years ahead, especially if battles happen in the meantime, resulting in loss of troops and the conquest of provinces. Not to mention unexpected events such as famines and floods, or ships sunk in storms. I also suggest that we may have to stop the game to accomodate extraordinalry situations, such as for example an unexpected foreign invasion - the HRE invading Genoa on turn 3, and the Consul retreating to the keep. In such a situation he should be able to summon some troops from the remaining three provinces, and for this we might need a council meeting to decide who gets to give up what units.

Innocentius
02-24-2007, 11:01
Yes, starting with two shorter rounds sounds like a good idea. And of course the game will be "paused" as soon as something big, bad and unexpected happens so that we can vote on what to do.

Innocentius
03-01-2007, 19:37
As soon as UltraWar has declared the distribution of provinces (pretty much already made up, we just need the final Go) it'd be appreaciated if all PR's could write up their building que for round 1.1 (1087-1092).

Kavhan Isbul
03-02-2007, 02:17
Would it be safe to assume that I and Rythmic get Tuscany?

Wasp
03-02-2007, 17:55
Perhaps a stupid question, but do the provinces start with buildings already, or will we build everything from scratch?

Innocentius
03-02-2007, 18:03
Perhaps a stupid question, but do the provinces start with buildings already, or will we build everything from scratch?

Apart from XL being installed, the game is unmodded, so no; you won't have to build from scratch. Most provinces are pretty badly underdeveloped though. It'd be helpful if the PR's kept in mind which buildings their provinces already have. This would save the Chancellor some work.

Kavhan Isbul
03-21-2007, 07:52
I, Isbulino Doria, write this in the year of our Lord 1092. Five years have passed since I was appointed Chancellor of the Genoese Republic. Let me look at my diary and recall what happened during this time.

In 1087 I sent the inexperienced emissary Pietro Corsini to offer alliance to the Venetians. For once, our pesky neighbors saw reason and accepted, as they fear the Holy Roman Emperor. In Genoa, I built watch towers to spy on the Germans in Provence and Milan - provinces, which rightfully belong to our Republic. I also overseed the training of 100 spearmen in order to deter any German or Venetian ambitions on our lands.

In 1088, I dispatched Corsini, whose success in Venice earned him a reputation of a good negotiator, to the court of Roger I, self-proclaimed ruler of Malta and Sicily. This filthy Norman in his stubborn arrogance refused. The Hungarian King Laszlo I, a far better mannered ruler, sent his daughter to ask for an alliance, which I accepted. A girl was born into the Consul's family, who was named Brunilde. Strongly believing that the future of our Republic lies in trade, I ordered the construction of a trading po

In 1089, Corsini received an assignment from me to ask the Pope for alliance. The Holy Father had the same desire, and I received one of his emissaries suggesting that we work together - an offer I graciously accepted. The Emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire also asked for alliance, but his emissary was turned down - with the Papal emissary sniffing around, there was no way to accept an offer from the heretics. Another girl was born into our family, and she was named Matilde.

In 1090, great famine befell upon Genoa. We collected less taxes this year, despite the finishing of the trading post. Fortunately, despite being heavily taxed, the peasants did not rebel. The coffers were not enough to commence the building of another fleet of ships, but I made a donation of 112 florints to the Republic, to prove my family's good intentions and our commitment to supprting trade. After careful analysis, it was decided that the dromon is better overall than the galley - it is faster and cheaper to maintain.
I sent Pietro Corsini to the Norman king in Malta in another attempt to convince him to accept an alliance according to our terms, and this time he succeeded. He is now among the most famous negotiators in the world.
The same year Prince Gregorio turned 16 - he is masterful with the sword, but a little too proud and would not listen to other people's advice. Finally, the baby boy Prince Guido was born into the Consul's family, ensuring that there shall be many heirs to leave our victorious armies in battle one day.

In 1091, I still remained in charge in order to ease the young Consul's ascendance into power. This year Pietro Corsini remained in Malta to spy on the Normans - so far it appears their king will be content to sit in his tiny island. Another Princess was born - Flora. Consul Gregorio appears ready to lead over our Republic.

https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=Gregorio_a.jpg

https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=Gregorio_b.jpg

Now, let me take a look at my accounting books. Aaah, here we are. Currently, Genoa's treasury holds 287 florints. The city is collecting is collecting 283 florints per year from taxing the farmers from the hinterland and incoming mercheants. We trade locally, with the Provence and with Rome via Ostia. The Houses of Nobles are paying a combined tax of 37 florints. The support of the Republic's fleet costs 40 florints per turn, and that of the Consul's army, including 41 mailed knights, 120 Urban Militiamen and 100 Spearmen, 237 florints.

The Doria family has 891 florints in their coffers. My cousin Rythmic gathers 390 florints from Tuscany, pays 28 in taxes, and the upkeep of his armies costs him 110 florints. Tuscany now has fort and motte, 20% improved farmlands, watchtower and town watch, where the best Urban Militias in the known world can be trained. The Tuscan army is comprised of 100 spearmen and 120 high valor Urban Militiamen.

The House of Sardinia is still building a stone keep. They have 344 florints in their coffers, and their annual taxes amount 109 florints per turn. They pay 30 florints in upkeep for 60 Urban Militiamen. Taxes are 8 florints.

The House of Corsica has added a border fort, 20% improved farmlands and a salt mine to the improvements on their island. This allows them to collect 128 florints, of which they pay 10 in taxes. The upkeep of 60 Urban Militiamen costs them 30 florints. Their treasury holds 281 florints.

Our borders are quiet - we are in peace with all neighbors, allied to the Pope, Venetians, Sicilians and Hungarians. I am happy to inform you that the Holy Roman Emperor decided that he has had enough of the Venetians defying his authority, and the two countries are now in war. So far, it has resulted in a Venitian galley being sunk by the cost of Provence. We can only hope that this war takes a long time and claims plenty of casualties on both side. The Pope has threatened to excommunicate Emperor Conrad II if he attacks the Venetians again, but it is doubtful if this will stop him, as his men are countless.

Our fleet of dromons will be launched next year.

https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=Genoa1092.jpg

https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=Alliances.jpg

Kavhan Isbul
03-28-2007, 06:06
I, Isbulino Doria, continue my account as a Chancellor of Genoa in the year of our Lord 1097. The last five years were years of peace and great building projects.

In 1092, famine swept through Tuscany. Thanks to the improvements in the farmlands, most of the population survived, but many perished of starvation. A port was started in the province, in order to provide a way of sending food supplies there, in case there is another bad year for the crops in the future. That same year our fleet of dromons was finally finished, and our galleys sailed further south, to the straits of Sicily, where a trade route was established with the Normans. The Sicilians however refused to import our silk, as they produced their own inferior variety, after they stole craftsmen and machines from the Greeks during one of their raids. This offense should be remembered and when time is opportune, severly avenged. Acting under orders from His Majesty, Pietro Corsini embarked on a long journey in the East to search for allies against the Holy Roman Empire. He arrived in the lands of the Lithuanians by sea. He wrote me back, expressing disgust at their Pagan ways, but pointing out that their cavalry is better than any militia put on horses. The Lithuanians did not harm him, and made it clear that they would welcome trade with us. Unfortunately, they are too far away for our fleets to reach, but Corsini's report mentions an abundance of goods and riches to be had in the Baltic.

In 1093, an emissary from the king of Norway arrived, asking for our alliance. There have been stories of the fierceness and killing prowess of Nordic warriors in battle, and these could be put to good use raiding the Northern lands of the Empire, so the alliance was graciously accepted. Pietro Corsini continued his journey through as poor land called Volhynia. There he found a large Polish army, sent there to subdue the local Pagans, who the Poles had only recently conquered. He wrote me back that an air of tension hangs over this province, with Cuman raids a constant threat. Powerful allied armies are a good thing, but even a better thing is an army of our own able to deal with any enemy, and construction of a bowyers workshop to provide our sailor with bows, so that they can be used in land battles to support our spearmen and militiamen, commenced.

In 1094, the Pope held a great council and it was decided that the Holy Land shall be freed from the Muslims. A Crusade will be declared to purge Jerusalem from the infidels. The Greeks started a war with the Fatimids, and the Seljuks threaten to subdue the Armenians. The Schismatics are Christians, and it seems they need help. We would be wise to support them if we get a chance, for if Constantinople falls to the Muslim hordes, they might overrun the World! A Crusade hoever takes a long time to prepare, and is an expensive and risky endeavor, so we have to take care of matters closer to home, before we march against the enemies of Christ.
In Corsica, a salt mine complex was started - a structure that would be an engineering feat the world has not seen. The same year. Pietro Corsini finally arrived in Krakow, the Polish capital.

In 1095, as was expected, the Germans were excommunicated, for they built a large fleet and sunk another Venetian galley in the Ligurian. The Emperor has shown that he is a serious threat to any Italian independent city. Corsini did his best to persuade the Polish king Wladyslaw that the Empire is a danger to all its neighbors, but he refused to ally with us, probably blinded by his pride from his recent success against a feeble Pagan army in Volhynia. The same year the stone keep of the House of Sardinia was finally finished, and Consul Gregorio III was celebrated as a builder throughout the Republic's possessions. Now that the keep in Sardnia was complete, master shipbuilders felt safer to establish a shipyard there, and the construction of such a facility started with no delay. Meanwhile, I heard rumors that a certain Giovanni Lanfranchi developped a gift for eloquency and I promoted him to emissary, sending him to Burgundy to spy on the Empire and report any army movements in this province. Corsini I sent to the court of the Czechs, to see if they might be more willing to see rason in comparison to their Polish neighbors.

In 1096 the Germans finally mustered enough courage to invade Venice by land, but Lord Bohemond de Tankerville dealt them a defeat. The Pope alarmed asked all Catholics for a Crusade against the Empire. Apparently, the Germans fear the French more than us. And for a good reason - an emissary from King Philippe I arrived and proposed that it would be in our best interest for our combined forces to work together. I agreed, and we are now allied with the French. Lanfranchi passed from Genoa to Savoy unharmed, and will attempt to arrive in Burgundy next year. He will then be able to report of any reserves the Emperor may have there to try to support Provence or Savoy.
Meanwhile, Corsini has safely arrived in Prague, the capital of Bohemia. He reports that the Czech King has mustered a huge army, far greater than what Bohemia can support. When his stocks of grain start to diminish, he will find himself forced to invade the Empire, if only in otder to avoid the anger of his hungry troops. Corsini feels he is likely to accept an alliance, and that alliance might provide the final motivation for an attack on one of the Empire's borders - especially now that most of the Imperial army from Austria perished outside of Verona.
We are ready to increase our forces, as the bowyers' worksop in Genoa is finished, and we will soon be able to train our sailors in the use of the bow, and Prince Pietro matured. The Consul's brother enjoys wine a little too much, but he still makes a fine commander and his retinue of knights is a capable force. Another fleet of dromons was started - the Germans have a strong fleet they decided for some reason to move to the Gulf of Lions. The port in Tuscany was finished and work on a trading post started.

Currently, the treasuries of the Houses of Nobles contain the following amount of florints: Genoa 229; Tuscany 427; Corsica 322; Sardinia 299.

Here are some more detailed maps and reports.

https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=Pietro.jpg

https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=Income1097.jpg

https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=ProvenceHREArmy.jpg

https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=SavoyHREArmy.jpg

Kavhan Isbul
04-04-2007, 05:53
In the year of our Lord 1101, I, Isbulino Doria, had to call for an extraodinary meeting of Parliament. Here is my report for the last 4 years.

In 1097, the Danes unleashed the fury of their warriors on the Empire, conquering Saxony and further reducing the influence of the Emperor. Pietro Corsini easily persuaded the Bohemian king to accept our offer of alliance. I received an emissary from the English King William, and since the English were not allied to the Germans, I accepted his offer of cooperation.

In 1098, the Imperial troops lost another battle against Don Bohemond de Tankerville, despite greatly outnumbering the Venetians. Seeing the futility of his efforts to subdue the cities of Italy, Emperor Conrad II asked for our help against Venice. Needless to say, we rejected this vile offer of a betrayal. The Serbs, who are currently in war with our good allies the Hungarians, also asked us to ally with them. Again, we remained true to our allies, and hopefully they will remember our loyalty one day. The fleet of dromons in Sardinia was started as per my proposal and in Genoa, we started training our sailors in the use of the bow.

In 1099, the townsfolk in Genoa celebrated the birth of Princess Maria, the second of this name in the House of Genoa. The Scottish offered us an alliance, which I accepted - their clansmen warriors can indeed be a nice auxilliary unit to our armies one day.

In 1100, the new century started with a disaster - a flood in Genoa lowered the income and destroyed our farmlands (20% improved farmlands). The Germans invaded Venice once again, and this time Don de Tankerville decided to retreat behind the walls of the keep there, the plan of the Doge obvciously being to attempt to throw the Germans out of his capital's hinterland this year.

The good news is that the war with the Danes forced the Germans to transfer their navy out of the Mediterraneo, as their Atlantic shores are undefended. This has allowed me to keep a fleet in the Straits of Sicily, protecting the trade there.

Here is the composition of our armies (excluding the garriosns at Ajaccio and Cagliary). In Genoa, we currently have 61 knights, 100 spearmen, 120 Urban Militiamen and 120 Genoese Sailors. In Tuscany, we have 100 spearmen and 360 Urban Militiamen. Here is some intelligence on the German armies in the surrounding lands.
Venice:
https://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/VeniceHREArmy.jpg?t=1175661981
Savoy:
https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=SavoyHREArmy1101.jpg

Most importantly, Provence:
https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=ProvenceHREarmy1101.jpg

There is no German fleet in sight:
https://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/?action=view&current=Genoa1101.jpg

After the flood, our income situation is not enviable:
https://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l9/kavhan/Income1101.jpg?t=1175662200

Speaking of income, here is what the treasuries of the various Houses contain. Tuscany - 671 florints; Genoa, 261 Florints, Corsica, 645 Florints, Sardinia - 284 florints (this is before starting a slat mine, which will cost 250 florints).