PDA

View Full Version : TroG OOC-Thread

Innocentius
02-24-2007, 11:12
The thread for out of character discussions for the MTW PBM The Republic of Genoa.

Kavhan Isbul
02-24-2007, 23:38
Wasp - Corsica
Kavhan Isbul, Head of the Doria family - Tuscany (Sardinia 2nd)
gunslinger - n/a
Rythmic - n/a
Warmaster Horus - Sardinia

This is the current situation. As the first Consul UltraWar will get control over Genoa, which leaves 3 provinces for the rest of us.
Here is what I suggest - if anyone joins me and my house, the glosiour Dorias, I will split responsibilities with him. He will be in charge of the troops and the first hero we get, and we will together make decisions about what is to be built in our initial province, Tuscany hopefully. After we get more provinces, we will divide governorship duties. So does anyone want to team up with me?

naut
02-25-2007, 00:48
I'll join your house then Kavhan Isbul.

Kavhan Isbul
02-25-2007, 00:51
I'll join your house then Kavhan Isbul.

Thanks, Rythmic. We are only sepparated by 20 hours or so time difference (and the biggest Ocean), as I am in California, but I am sure it would not be a problem to communication.

Wasp
02-25-2007, 10:33
Ah, my beautiful island! I'd be happy to share it, too (since that'd make politics better and more fun), so lemme know whoever wants.

Kavhan Isbul
02-26-2007, 20:15
OK, it appears that we have Warmaster Horus and Gunslinger still not assigned a province, with the Warmaster having expressed a preference for Sardinia. However, Gunslinger also needs a province. So how do we resolve this?
Option 1: One of them accepts Wasp's invitation and teams up with him, the other one gets Sardinia.
Option 2: The two of them get Sardinia together, as a team, similarly to me and Rythmic
Option 3: One gets Sardinia, the other one gets to be the first hero that becomes available, which in most likelihood will be the first heir. Whoever gets this hero is likely to end up as the next Consul.
Option 4: we cannot agree on starting positions, in which case UltraWar as the Consul gets the task of assigning inital provinces to teams and people.

There might be other options, but these were the ones that came to my mind.

Warmaster Horus
02-26-2007, 20:25
It's up to Gunslinger. I don't mind any of the possibilities.

gunslinger
02-27-2007, 04:27
Thank you Warmaster. If that is the case, then I would like to have a go at Sardinia, poor province that it is, since I'm not really sure what to do with a hero, and I have no ambitions toward being Consul at this time. If that settles everything, then let's get started!

Warmaster Horus
02-27-2007, 19:20
Then I shall go with option 3: One gets Sardinia, the other one gets to be the first hero that becomes available, which in most likelihood will be the first heir. Whoever gets this hero is likely to end up as the next Consul.

gunslinger
03-06-2007, 05:17
Posts in the parliament thread seem to be trickling in lately. Could this be due to the fact that it's "Barbarian Week" on the History Channel?

Kavhan Isbul
03-06-2007, 06:04
I do not know, but this is going really slow. I thought we were at a point where we could submit our schedules and start the campaign. Since I was not sure where to post it, I submitted my schedule in the Parliament thread.

Wasp
03-06-2007, 09:28
I assumed PM's were meant, with the 'individually' (or something along those lines) in the post. I do have to admit that my schedule isn't finished yet, but I blame uni!

By the way, can anyone tell me what already is build in the provinces?

gunslinger
03-06-2007, 17:38
Wasp,

If you haven't downloaded XL yet, then you will probably need to in order to fight battles for the PBM. Once you've downloaded it, you can easily start a campaign in Expert - Early XL - Glorious Acheivments - Genonese in order to see what you are starting out with.

So, are we supposed to put build orders in parliament, then?

Kavhan Isbul
03-06-2007, 18:05
If am not mistaken, Corsica starts with a fort and a port, and that is about it. You also get a unit of Urban Militia and a unit of Spearmen. The only resource is salt, no tradeable goods unfortunately.

Wasp
03-06-2007, 19:26
Gunslinger, I have XL, but was unable to check at the time. I'll try to make sure Kavhan is right as soon as possible, though (thanks Kavhan for the info).

Kavhan Isbul
03-07-2007, 18:23
One more attempt to revive this - has everyone submitetd his/her schedule and if so, when could we expect the first Chancellor Report?

Innocentius
03-07-2007, 19:15
I'll be able to give the first Chancellor report within 24 hours after everyone's posted. But you are the only one, Kavhan who has given me the build/recruit schedule.

Wasp
03-07-2007, 20:12
I've PM'ed my schedule. Kavhan, I'll get back on those spearman, but should I do it via PM, or in one of the threads? I'm not sure.

[Edit] I'm a member, yay!

Martok
03-07-2007, 20:50
I'll PM gunslinger to see about submitting Sardinia's build/recruit queue.

gunslinger
03-08-2007, 02:15
PM sent

Innocentius
03-08-2007, 18:31
There have been som errors in the building ques:

1) Corsica can not build a Trade Post
2) Sardinia already has Watch Towers

Kavhan Isbul
03-08-2007, 18:43
In this case, I guess just the next building in the queue gets built. These are the first 5 turns however, so maybe it would be acceptabel to allow the players to revise their schedules.

Martok
03-08-2007, 20:27
As long as gunslinger has no objection, I certainly have no problem with just moving on to the next building in Sardinia's queue.

gunslinger
03-08-2007, 21:54
Please do. I apologize for the inconvenience

gunslinger
03-08-2007, 23:52
I've had an UltraWar sighting. He posted in the MTW Main Hall today.

Kavhan Isbul
03-09-2007, 04:45
UltraWar has been frequent in the forums - in fact I do not think he has missed a day. But he has answered neither mine, nor Innocentius's PM, and he has not participated in the PBM threads. Perhaps he is busy - it can happen to all of us. Whenever he chooses to return, he can resume his role. Until then I do not think we should delay the game any longer, because it is moving at a slow pace as is.

Innocentius
03-09-2007, 16:02
I managed to catch his (UltraWar's) attention in a thread and he claimed he had troubles getting XL to run.

Until then I do not think we should delay the game any longer, because it is moving at a slow pace as is.

Yes. The planning has been really bad. I signed up as Chancellor mainly because I had a holiday the coming week and I though I was going to have plenty of time to play, but as it turns out we didn't even get started, and now I have very little time and a lot of schoolwork. I'll be off the better part of this weekend, but I'll see what I can do.

Warmaster Horus
03-09-2007, 17:27
I'll be in the same position as Innocentius. For now my role isn't really important, but later on...

Kavhan Isbul
03-09-2007, 17:54
No problems guys, we will continue whenever you find the time.

Wasp
03-09-2007, 18:30
The fine thing about the internet is that everbody can do their thing whenever they have time; don't sweat it. I usually check the threads in a few minutes every day, anyway.

As for the building queue, is that because there's no keep yet? (Corsica; trade post)

If so, I'd like a keep ^^

Kavhan Isbul
03-09-2007, 18:57
The fine thing about the internet is that everbody can do their thing whenever they have time; don't sweat it. I usually check the threads in a few minutes every day, anyway.

As for the building queue, is that because there's no keep yet? (Corsica; trade post)

If so, I'd like a keep ^^

There are no trading good in Corsica, so I do not think you can build a trading post even if you have a keep.

Wasp
03-09-2007, 20:44
There are no trading good in Corsica, so I do not think you can build a trading post even if you have a keep.

Oh, a shame! I always had the description of Corsica in my head (the one from the facts thread; mostly trading). I'll just need to focus on agriculture, then.

Warluster
03-10-2007, 00:15
Could I sing up for this PBeM? I won't be able to do battles and such,, so can i join?

Kavhan Isbul
03-10-2007, 00:50
Sure, I do not think we have a limit on players.

naut
03-10-2007, 01:23
Oh, a shame! I always had the description of Corsica in my head (the one from the facts thread; mostly trading). I'll just need to focus on agriculture, then.
There is salt as a mining resource IIRC.

Wasp
03-10-2007, 19:13
There is salt as a mining resource IIRC.

Oh, that'd be nice. I really have to check, next time I have the chance. I'll try tomorrow.

[Edit] I checked, and Corsica has salt, a Watch Tower, Fort and Port.

Warmaster Horus
03-13-2007, 21:03
So, just so this doesn't die out, where do we stand?

Innocentius
03-13-2007, 21:14
I'm waiting for Wasp to post/send his build/recruit que (including details about the Spearmen, when they are to be delivered etc).

Also, I think it's time we solve the Consul-problem. I'll PM UltraWar right now, and if he does not reply within 24 hours confirming that he is still interested in the game we must elect a new Consul (OOC-vote).

Kavhan Isbul
03-13-2007, 21:46
I can help you with the spearmen part - they are to be delivered to Tuscany on Turn 1. Here's the deal - with very high taxes, no governor (we do not have suitable heroes for governors yet) and no improvements, Corsica can generate the mindboggling income of eighty something florints per year. There are 100 spearmen and 60 UM there, whose upkeep is 80 florints. If the Corsicans pay their taxes of 8 or so florints, they will actually be upside down - not a good thing. Therefore I think Wasp will confirm, but the 100 spearmen are to be transferred to Tuscany on Turn 1, in exchange for 50 florints.

In that case here are a few minor changes to my schedule:

Year 1: increase taxes to high; build watch towers
Year 2: increase taxes to very high, start town watch
Year 3: finish town watch
Year 4: start 20% improved farmland; train a unit of Urban Militia
Year 5: finish farmland; do not train anything

Here is a question: is the 10% tax based on a province's income (regardless of expenses), or based on the province's profit for the year (income minus expenses)?

I will page Wasp, I am sure he will send you his schedule soon.

Wasp
03-13-2007, 22:09
My apologies, I thought the former queue would be sufficient.

Kavhan is right about the spearmen, they leave Corsica first boat they get ~;) (that is, as soon as Kavhan hands those 50 florints!)

My taxes should be as high as possible, unless there's a event preventing that or the loyalty will get below 100%.

Then there's my new building list:

Year 1: start building a border fort
Year 2: finish building fort, start on Improved Farmland (20%)
Year 3: finish Improved Farmland (20%)
Year 4: start building a salt mine (I think that one takes four years?)
Year 5: still building

I hope that's sufficient?

Kavhan Isbul
03-13-2007, 22:22
I guess we can start and play the first 5 turns then. No battles, so the Consul issue is not that pressing in my opinion.
If UltraWar is unable to participate and be the Consul, I suggest Warmaster Horus as Consul - he was going to be the next Consul anyway. The main requirement for the Consul is to be able to have XL installed, so that he can load a saved XL campaign and fight a battle.

Wasp
03-13-2007, 22:25
I guess we can start and play the first 5 turns then. No battles, so the Consul issue is not that pressing in my opinion.
If UltraWar is unable to participate and be the Consul, I suggest Warmaster Horus as Consul - he was going to be the next Consul anyway. The main requirement for the Consul is to be able to have XL installed, so that he can load a saved XL campaign and fight a battle.

Indeed, and since the parliament has granted the Chancellor some 'emergency powers' anyway, there's no reason to delay it any further.

naut
03-13-2007, 23:22
Year 4: start building a salt mine (I think that one takes four years?)
Year 5: still building
In XL the Salt Mine is two years IIRC.

Kavhan Isbul
03-14-2007, 00:11
The salt mine takes two years. Its upgrade, the salt mine copmplex, takes 4.:book:

gunslinger
03-14-2007, 02:03
I'm glad we're still going to give this thing a try. I was under the impression that we had decided in the parliament thread to give the Chancellor Consul powers when the Consul was unavailable. If we're going to elect a new Consul, then I guess UltraWar will have to die of his sickness. Either way, let's get moving forward!

Wasp
03-14-2007, 08:23
The salt mine takes two years. Its upgrade, the salt mine copmplex, takes 4.:book:

In XL the Salt Mine is two years IIRC.

Ah, thanks. Doesn't change anything for this schedule, then, and I can start the next schedule 'fresh'.

Warmaster Horus
03-14-2007, 10:35
Same as Gunslinger.
I thought that the Chancellor would take the place of Consul, until the heir comes of age or something.

Kavhan Isbul
03-16-2007, 00:06
Also, I think it's time we solve the Consul-problem. I'll PM UltraWar right now, and if he does not reply within 24 hours confirming that he is still interested in the game we must elect a new Consul (OOC-vote).

It has been over 48 hours now. Any news from UltraWar?

Innocentius
03-17-2007, 14:56
It has been over 48 hours now. Any news from UltraWar?

Nope, nothing. Instead of starting a new thread we might just vote right here. I cast my vote for Warmaster Horus as he'd become the next Consul anyway.

Sorry that I too have been a bit off. I have more than enough schoolwork to deal with (and other stuff as well of course).

Wasp
03-17-2007, 18:53
I agree on Warmaster Horus. The consul is dead, long live the consul?

Kavhan Isbul
03-18-2007, 02:37
Another vote for Warmaster Horus.

Warmaster Horus
03-18-2007, 11:57
I'd accept if you were all in favour.
Anything to get it actually started.

Wasp
03-18-2007, 21:16
I'd accept if you were all in favour.
Anything to get it actually started.

Agreed. I think we're waiting for the Chancellor then?

Innocentius
03-19-2007, 21:32
waiting for the Chancellor

Kavhan PM'd me about this, and I know things are going slow. Way too slow. Like I stated earlier I signed up as Chancellor believeing that we'd finish the reign of the first Consul within a week or so (my holididays) and then I'd sign up as a less important player for the second round. Turns out we didn't get nearly as far as I thought and I haven't even had access to the computer where I can run MTW for a few days now.

Kavhan Isbul suggested that he could play the Chancellor for the first round (1.1), which is a good idea. I'm actually considering whether I should remain Chancellor at all since I feel I've slowed the process down too much already. If you - for some unknown reason - would still like me to remain Chancellor I can't guarantee you that the game will progress at all in the future two weeks or so. Otherwise I suggest a new Chancellor is determined.

Sorry:no:

Kavhan Isbul
03-19-2007, 23:03
An important player getting suddenly busy was a forseeable thing - it can and probably will happen to all of us.
If you decide that we cannot wait for Innocentius a few more weeks, I volunteer to be the Chancellor.

naut
03-20-2007, 06:37
It's all fine by me whatever happens.

Wasp
03-20-2007, 08:46
If you don't feel bad about it, Innocentius, I think it would be good if Kavhan did some Chancellor duties. I do hope you'll become it again somewhere in the future, though :yes:

Martok
03-20-2007, 20:04
If Kavhan Isbul is willing to be Chancellor, I'm down with it (provided gunslinger is as well). :yes:

Warmaster Horus
03-20-2007, 20:37
No problem.

Kavhan Isbul
03-20-2007, 22:48
OK, I have a confirmation from Gunslinger of Cagliari and I know what he wants built. With no further delay I will start the game tonight, and I will post a chancellor's report tomorrow in the appropriate thread. I will make the decisions for Genoa this five turns, until Prince Gregorio matures, and then he will take over governing Genoa and taking all the strategic decisions as a Consul.
Rythmic will now take over Tuscany.

Wasp
03-21-2007, 09:11
Excellent, we're off to a good start it seems.

Kavhan Isbul
03-26-2007, 16:44
Just a reminder - I need 5-year schedules from Tuscany, Sardiniq and Genoa (the latter also needs to include instructions on diplomacy).

Martok
03-26-2007, 19:57
I know gunslinger and I want the shipwright constructed once the keep in Sardinia is completed.

Kavhan Isbul
03-26-2007, 20:11
I know gunslinger and I want the shipwright constructed once the keep in Sardinia is completed.

Thank you, your wish will be granted.

gunslinger
03-27-2007, 16:52
I'm sorry for the delay. I thought I had sent a PM.

Kavhan Isbul
03-31-2007, 19:33
I still need a schedule for Sardinia, apart from finishing the ship builder and building a fleet of dromons.

Warmaster Horus
04-01-2007, 17:49
I propose that we set a deadline for future schedules, and if the deadline is passed, but no schedule has been submitted, set taxes to medium, and not build anything.

Kavhan Isbul
04-01-2007, 20:38
Lowering taxes and slowing down buildings will hurt eeveryone, especially in the early stage that we are. If I do not hear from Gunslinger and Martok by tomorrow, Monday, I will continue just finishing the shipyard and building the dromons, and I might add a border fort as loyalty in Sardinia hovers dangerously just above 100%.

Wasp
04-02-2007, 07:44
That sounds like a plan ~:)

gunslinger
04-02-2007, 17:23
Hi,

I need your schedule for the next 5 years, apart from the fleet of dromons. What other buildings would you like to start, as long as your coffers allow it?
(From Private Message)

Well, I don't remember agreeing to your terms concerning what I would build during the next five years, nor your mandates about the division of the costs of the dromons, but I suppose that since you've dictated everything everyone has done since this thing started, you might as well go ahead and build whatever you like in Sardinia this time around as well. In the future you may take Martok's word with as much weight as my own if I don't check in.

Kavhan Isbul
04-02-2007, 19:00
Oh great - now you feel offended. I tell you what - I will not build anything in Sardinia, and I will not train anything there, wihtout your or Martok's express confirmation. Will that make you happier? Also, feel free to replace me as a Chancellor at any time.

Warmaster Horus
04-02-2007, 19:14
Come on guys, calm down.... If it's like that, then we have a co-chancellor, who's there to make sure that the other guys are satisfied.

Kavhan Isbul
04-02-2007, 19:26
No, Gunslinger is right - I have been in the driver's seat for too long now. Enough is enough. I will only do what I am told to do by the other players, and there will be no initative coming from me. I will only play the next five turns when I get the schedules submitted to me one way or another, and if someone forgets to send me a schedule, well, so be it, the game will be on hold until he or she does. With this being said, my participation will be limited, as this will be in everyone's best interest.

Warmaster Horus
04-02-2007, 19:40
Okay, if that's what you want.
So, we're still missing Sardinia's schedule, right?

Kavhan Isbul
04-02-2007, 19:49
Okay, if that's what you want.
So, we're still missing Sardinia's schedule, right?

Right.

Warmaster Horus
04-02-2007, 20:05
Actually, perhaps to reassure people, the schedules should be posted in this thread? That way, it's only possible for the families to choose what they should build. Also, over the whole course of the game, if a schedule is not respected, then the Chancellor should be changed.

Innocentius
04-02-2007, 20:40
Oi!

I don't think we should just skip out on a province just because the player representing it absent. It's his own fault if a player misses out on a round, but I don't think the game (nor the realism of it) should have to suffer just because. I think the Chancellor should have the right to construct and recruit what he considers fit if a PR is absent.

gunslinger
04-02-2007, 20:58
After the shipyard is finished, please build a dromon in Sardinia spreading the cost of it around as Kavhan suggested. That is, if the other parties to the deal have agreed.

Please adjust taxes as necessary to keep loyalty above 100%.

Kavhan, I'm glad you stepped up to take on the work of being Chancellor. I didn't want to do it, and apparently, neither did anyone else. As the person who can actually see what's going on within the strat map, you are in a position to offer the best suggestions about "current events." In fact, I have agreed with most of what you've proposed since the beginning of this whole experiment. When I've raised complaints (first in character, and mainly just for fun) and now out of character it's been because of micromanagement. I guess I have a real life independent streak in me. This should work out well since you have already stated that you wanted Sardinia to be a somewhat independent-minded province.

As I said before, if I'm not around then please don't hesitate to just take Martok's word as "law" as far as Sardinia is concerned.

Martok
04-02-2007, 21:05
Well a border fort in Sardinia probably isn't a bad idea, as recruiting additional soldiers simply for garrison duty wouldn't be worth what it would cost to pay them. After that, I believe we wanted a salt mine built. (Sardinia *does* have salt deposits, right? I still don't have my new PC yet, so I can't remember for sure. ~:rolleyes:)

Kavhan Isbul
04-02-2007, 21:39
No Gunslinger, you are right - I made more decisions than I should have, and to be honest I also felt it was wrong. I am glad you brought it up. For now, I am going to leave the decisions to the rest of the players and just do my duty as a Chancellor. I may still vote on proposals, made by others.
I have all schedules and instructions now, and I will resume the game as soon as I can - today is Monday and this is usually a busy day, but I will see what I can do.

P.S. Sardinia has salt and silver resources.

Martok
04-02-2007, 21:45
P.S. Sardinia has salt and silver resources.
Thanks Kavhan. Yeah, go ahead with the salt mine please. ~:)

Kavhan Isbul
04-05-2007, 18:38
Tonight when I get back home I will send Warmaster Horus the save game file just before ending the turn - he will then fight the battle and let us all know how it went. The battle in Venice is to be autocalculated (if the HRE does not retreat). Once all the parchments are read, Warmaster Horus needs to save the game and send it to me. We will then have a regular session of Parliament.
I will be away for the weekend, and I wish all of you a lovely Easter.

Wasp
04-05-2007, 20:42
Even though I don't celebrate it myself, have a good Eastern everybody!

And kudo's to Kavhan for doing the tough job ~:)

Martok
04-06-2007, 18:34
Seconded. Happy Easter guys! :balloon2:

Warmaster Horus
04-06-2007, 18:56
Thirded. I recieved the save game, and am going to play it tonight, probably.
Happy Easter y'all!

Kavhan Isbul
04-09-2007, 20:51
It has been some time now and if I do not get any news soon, I will need to autocalculate the battle as we need to proceed with the game.

gunslinger
04-10-2007, 01:43
I'm sure everyone is still catching up from the Easter weekend. IIRC we sent quite a few archers, so I hope we don't have to autocalc!

Kavhan Isbul
04-10-2007, 03:14
Both points well taken. I am sure that Warmaster Horus will respond soon, until then I will wait unless the majority of players express a desire to press on with the campaign.

Wasp
04-10-2007, 07:17
Horus is probably still having after-Easter effects. I'd give him some more time.

Warmaster Horus
04-10-2007, 11:23
Here I am! Fear not.
I haven't been able to fight the battles as of yet, because my family and I went to visit my Grandma from Saturday 'til yesterday afternoon. I'd forgotten my MTW disc, and I had a rather large assignement for school today, which I'd completed yesterday afternoon.
So, don't worry, Genoa will hopefully be victorious tonight!

Wasp
04-10-2007, 12:46
No problem Horus, better to take a bit longer than a rushed victory ~;)

I'm moving this week, so if I'm absent for some time, you know the reason.

Kavhan Isbul
04-10-2007, 17:49
In the meantime, start thinking about schedules for the next 5 years. Of course, these will probably depend on the outcome of the battle and the distribution of the spoils (if any), but let's make an effort to increase the speed a little. Now it is early in the campaign and there are few troops, provinces and battles, and the pace is slow - imagine what it will be when we have 2 or 3 battles per turn, 30+ provinces and a huge number of troops distributed between all players.

gunslinger
04-10-2007, 19:00
Here I am! Fear not.
I haven't been able to fight the battles as of yet, because my family and I went to visit my Grandma from Saturday 'til yesterday afternoon. I'd forgotten my MTW disc, and I had a rather large assignement for school today, which I'd completed yesterday afternoon.
So, don't worry, Genoa will hopefully be victorious tonight!
If this battle isn't won in the next 2 hours, then I will vote to withold funding, or I may vote to provide funding as long as all of the troops are withdrawn according to my time schedule. I know these decisions are supposed to be made by the Consul, but I feel that the Genoan people have given me a mandate to end this senseless war.

. . .Wait, this isn't the backroom?

Crap.

Martok
04-10-2007, 21:47
If this battle isn't won in the next 2 hours, then I will vote to withold funding, or I may vote to provide funding as long as all of the troops are withdrawn according to my time schedule. I know these decisions are supposed to be made by the Consul, but I feel that the Genoan people have given me a mandate to end this senseless war.

. . .Wait, this isn't the backroom?

Crap.
My thanks to gunslinger for my biggest laugh of the day. :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

But back to business.... Any thoughts of what we want to build next in Sardinia, cousin? I don't think we'd really scoped out yet on what to do after the keep, shipwright, and salt mine was completed. :book:

gunslinger
04-10-2007, 22:48
It's been awhile since I checked our status, but aren't we going to be flat broke after building the salt mine? If so, then I guess we'll just have to put building on hold for another lustrum while we save up for boats, or a silver mine or something. How much do those dromons cost anyway?

Kavhan Isbul
04-10-2007, 23:22
The dromons cost 600, the galleys 500, but the dromons have a lower maintenance than the galleys.
Having a decentralized system of government creates economic difficulties, but makes the game more interesting. At the same time, I do not think I have ever played a game with so many calamities happening in such a short period of time immediately after the start of the campaign - two famines and a flood in less than 15 years (approximately once per 5 years). The fact that the famines hit the two richest provinces and the flood detsroyed the improved farmlands in Genoa made things even worse.

Martok
04-11-2007, 01:47
It's been awhile since I checked our status, but aren't we going to be flat broke after building the salt mine? If so, then I guess we'll just have to put building on hold for another lustrum while we save up for boats, or a silver mine or something. How much do those dromons cost anyway?
Good points. I agree that the silver mine should probably be next on our list, although shipbuilding may take priority depending on the military situation. Unfortunately, I also think you're right in that we'll have to hold off on further construction until our coffers have recovered somewhat. (Stupid natural disasters.... :furious3: )

naut
04-11-2007, 01:52
I do not think I have ever played a game with so many calamities happening in such a short period of time immediately after the start of the campaign - two famines and a flood in less than 15 years (approximately once per 5 years). The fact that the famines hit the two richest provinces and the flood detsroyed the improved farmlands in Genoa made things even worse.
~:eek:

Wasp
04-11-2007, 07:14
What are my options, Kavhan?

Kavhan Isbul
04-11-2007, 16:16
What are my options, Kavhan?

I remember you wanted a keep, and in a few years you should have the money to start it.

Wasp
04-11-2007, 17:50
I remember you wanted a keep, and in a few years you should have the money to start it.

Great ~:) Just save up until the keep can be built, then. I think that's one schedule already.

gunslinger
04-13-2007, 18:27
:download:

Kavhan Isbul
04-13-2007, 18:54
As I said - if the majority of players votes so, I will autocalculate the battle and we will resume the campaign. If every battle takes more than a week, it will be a looooooooong PBM - perhaps if I have grandkids one day they might be able to finish it.

Innocentius
04-13-2007, 19:25
Given that this is actually our first battle, and a very important one, I think we should make an exception for this battle and be patient. Just this one though, like Kavhan said it'll take years if each battle takes us a week.

gunslinger
04-13-2007, 20:00
Hmmm. I don't think we ever formally voted on it, but there was some agreement in the parliament awhile back about the Chancellor taking over the duties of Consul if the Consul was "sick" or otherwise unavailable. If it comes down to it, would it be possible for the Chancellor, or someone he designates, to fight the battle? If so, should we make the cavalry from the Consul's bodyguard available to the commander for the duration of the battle? (This could prove to be a stumbling block if the Consul were killed during the battle).

I'm just trying to think of reasonable ways to avoid an autocalc.

Kavhan Isbul
04-13-2007, 20:12
I say we wait until the end of this weekend. If we are to take a unit of high valor RKs or even worse, a unit of RKs with a 4-star "Skilled Attacker" commander, then we might be better off leaving all RKs in and autocalculating, as far as a favorable outcome is concerned. Let's give Warmaster Horus a little more time.

Martok
04-13-2007, 21:16
I'll go with waiting through the weekend, but no longer. However crucial this battle may be, we really need to get this campaign going faster than the glacial pace at which it's currently moving. :smash:

gunslinger
04-14-2007, 01:55
Next Monday it is.

Warmaster Horus
04-14-2007, 10:44
IT'S DONE!!! I'm finished with it. So sorry it took so long :shame: . I sent the file to Khavan this morning, but I'll give a quick report on what happened:
-we won the battle, of course, and captured 208 German men. They were ransomed for a total sum of 332 Florins.
-The expedition to assist Venice had to be stopped. Firstly because of overwhelming opposition (120 against 851) and secondly because Venice didn't even try to save themselves. We would have been alone.
-The court also recieved information that New Armenia existed no more. Their King had been killed, and no heir was found.

Now, I promise you all that such a long wait will not happen anymore.:oops:

Innocentius
04-14-2007, 13:46
Brilliant!~:cheers:

When can we expect our first write-up in the battle reports thread?

gunslinger
04-15-2007, 03:58
Nice work, WH.

Kavhan, when we were forming the outline for this game, you suggested a house rule requiring "retainers" for any heavy cavalry built. Would you find it acceptable to train royal knights without retainers for the express purpose of sending them to wherever our princes are to serve as replacements in the royal bodyguard? Do any of our provinces even have the capability to produce royal knights?

Kavhan Isbul
04-15-2007, 04:10
Genoa does. I personally do not have a problem with replenishing already existing princely retinues (or other units, once the princes get old and die). The retainers rule was suggested by Innocentius in order to give a more realistic feeling to the game and to provide an improved challenge, and I really liked the idea. I believe the goal was not to end up with an unrealistic and too strong army - as we play an Italian faction an army with too much heavy cavalry will make even less sense, but since we have no control over princes maturing and their revenues, I believe they should be exempt.

gunslinger
04-20-2007, 01:21
Sorry I haven't been around much. Work is getting crazy. Next week looks like it's going to be pretty rough too, so I may have to spend some more time with the "Abbott."

Martok
04-20-2007, 19:06
Noted and logged. I'd make up a story about you catching the black plague, but it would 200 years too soon in the campaign. ~;)

Kavhan Isbul
04-23-2007, 16:43
I am afraid I cannot continue being the Chancellor, and even the good Abbott in Sardinia won't be able to help. I am having problems with the monitor on my laptop, and I am afraid I will have to buy a new one. I have sent a save game file to Warmaster Horus (he needs to fight a battle or retreat), and I can send the excell spreadsheet I was using for calculating the incomes and treasuries of the various houses of nobles to whoever volunteers to replace me. In the meantime, I will not be able to fight any battles either.

Warmaster Horus
04-23-2007, 21:59
A pity. You were doing a good job too.
So, I'll hang on to the save, and send it to the next chancellor.
I think as you were the former one, you should be able to nominate a person. If you all agree?

Kavhan Isbul
04-24-2007, 00:10
I think it is not about nominating, but about volunteering.

Warmaster Horus
04-24-2007, 17:21
In which case, who volunteers?

Kavhan Isbul
04-24-2007, 18:21
What I meant is that I do not want to point to someone, especially if this person does not really want to be a Chancellor (or cannot, for reasons similar to mine). Therefore, someone needs to step up and help us all go on with the game. If noone does it, this will be it, I am afraid.

Warmaster Horus
04-24-2007, 19:18
If no one comes forward in the next, say, week, then I will abandon my consulship, Innocentius, for example, could be the next consul, and I will be chancellor.

Innocentius
04-24-2007, 21:41
Should be checking this thread more often...

Anyway, I'll be Chancellor for the remainder of Gregorio II's reign. But I think I'll need a thorough instruction on how to calculate the income/expenses... I've never been a fan of Excel...

Warmaster Horus
04-24-2007, 23:07
I think it's actually written in the game. Just look at the "economy" tab or whatever it is.

Kavhan Isbul
04-25-2007, 03:45
Should be checking this thread more often...

Anyway, I'll be Chancellor for the remainder of Gregorio II's reign. But I think I'll need a thorough instruction on how to calculate the income/expenses... I've never been a fan of Excel...

I have found excel easier, as I can extend a preset formula. The way I calculate each house of nobles' treasury is quite simple - you have a certain amount in the coffers from last year, to which you add the income from the province(s) the house controls, and you subtract the expenses, which may include troops outside of the province and ships for Genoa. On the difference between income and expenses, as long as it is positive (and it better be), I calculate 10% tax, which I also subtract (for Genoa I add the taxes from the other three houses). Finally, I subtract any buildings started or troops trained. The final result is the coffers for the house of nobles at the end of the year, which is then carried over to next year (and which cannot be negative). You can do thiis with a sheet of paper and a calculator, but for me excel is easier.
Here is what I can do - I can extend the formulas down for the next 100 years, and all you will need to do in the spreadsheet is to enter the income, investments (troops and buildings), and expenses in the appropriate boxes.

Unfortunately, I cannot foresee what other provinces we may gain, and each new province conquered will obviously change the income and expenses for at least one house of nobles, which will also affect taxes Genoa collects.

gunslinger
04-26-2007, 18:35
I just wanted to check in. The abbey here in Sardinia is nice. Work should slow down by the weekend, and I'll be able to participate more. It looks like I haven't missed much, though. My condolences on your laptop, Kavhan.

Wasp
04-26-2007, 21:55
I just wanted to check in. The abbey here in Sardinia is nice. Work should slow down by the weekend, and I'll be able to participate more. It looks like I haven't missed much, though. My condolences on your laptop, Kavhan.

I was wondering on what to say, but I'll just check in as well. Life's hectic as usual, but I try to view the forums every day.

gunslinger
05-08-2007, 02:02
Does anyone still check this thread?

Martok
05-10-2007, 19:57
Every day, my cousin. :bow:

Seriously, though, what's hapenning with the campaign?

Warmaster Horus
05-10-2007, 21:02
Um, I guess Innocentius has the save, since he proposed to be chancellor, but I haven't heard from him since. He did say he'd be busy so that may have not been wise...
I still have the most recent save if anyone wants it. But I think this campaign, tragically, is dead.
Perhaps it can be revived?

Innocentius
05-13-2007, 23:23
Err... Sorry for killing the campaign, but the usual First I forgot about it, then it just became more and more embarrasing-thing happened:shame: I still have a little schoolwork to do, and as soon as I'm finished with that I need to start working on other projects related to other interests. I don't really play very much MTW at all right now, and when I do it's to finish my Polish campaign. Again, I'm sorry, but good luck to those who wish to continue this. I've completely lost interest and time as for now:no:

gunslinger
05-14-2007, 18:40
I'm still interested.