PDA

View Full Version : Why Ireland as a faction?

Pindar
02-28-2007, 19:20
I assume this is not up for change, but I was wondering why Ireland was included as a faction? Despite, some loyalty those with Irish ancestry may have to the Emerald Isle, what would be the historical justification for including it over other possibilities that there were expansive and had impact over larger regions. Just curious.

Innocentius
03-01-2007, 16:40
I must agree. However historical I find Ireland to be a bit of a superfluous "faction" that could easily be represented by some strong rebels instead.

Pindar
03-01-2007, 19:56
I must agree. However historical I find Ireland to be a bit of a superfluous "faction" that could easily be represented by some strong rebels instead.

Ireland as represented by strong rebels was my first thought as well.

Stig
03-01-2007, 19:59
It's the same as some mods putting Serbia in or so. Serbia is nothing more important then Ireland, maybe even less important.

This mod seems to focus on the Western world, so Ireland would be a sensible choice.

IrishArmenian
03-02-2007, 06:45
I have absolutely no idea why Conn (our Gaelic expert) has not responded to this post, so I will try to paraphrase his epic posts.
With Ireland, we seek to:
A) Make a more diverse choice of factions, as Ireland resembles no faction. They utilise mobile, agile, quick, javelin armed units and their cavalry is no different (like Jinetes).
B) To make England a much harder faction to play as. They are just too easy.
C) At the beginning of the game, Irish lords aruably wielded the most power in the whole British Isles. With the Normans still trying to flush out Saxon Enclaves, The Welsh digging in, the Scots taking care of internal strife, the only reason that they weren't all speaking Gaelic one hundred years later was because of the Norwegians, who nipped at the heels of Eire long enough to make nobles go astray.

El-Wrongo
03-02-2007, 09:36
I definitvely agree with having Ireland in, specially because its a extremely interesting faction, with very diffrent units, and thats besides beeing a extra justification to have Norway inn (not that Norway really needs any more justification than it already have IMHO).

I would also actually like to see the Welsh, but because of the faction limit I think it will be enough to see it as a strong individual area (meaning lots of rebels, and high revolt risk).

Actually, in my humble opinion you should have been able to play everything from France, to the dutchy of Douche, and down to Pierres Orchard (with the posibility of managing the kids playtime, wifebeatings, and hostile takeovers of the neighbours fertile bee cubes).

alpaca
03-02-2007, 13:19
Actually, in my humble opinion you should have been able to play everything from France, to the dutchy of Douche, and down to Pierres Orchard (with the posibility of managing the kids playtime, wifebeatings, and hostile takeovers of the neighbours fertile bee cubes).
Yeah but who'll spend the 2 billion manhours that'll take to create in a game?
And who will buy it, because you need a large grid computer to handle the AI :P

Rodion Romanovich
03-02-2007, 13:35
Hehe, if you don't mind I will quote that in my signature ~:)

El-Wrongo
03-02-2007, 13:49
I don't mind at all :2thumbsup:

Zenith Darksea
03-04-2007, 19:22
Serbia as a faction makes far more sense than Ireland. Serbia actually conquered large areas of territory, had a major war with the Turks and, even in the early period, was a significant force in the Balkans (which, at any rate, are seriously lacking in representatives). Ireland however did nothing but suffer internal strife and be used as a tool in the wars between Scotland and England.

Rhyfelwyr
03-04-2007, 19:49
Of course Serbia became more significant than Ireland. But not in 1073, or for a good while after that. Hence no faction slot for Serbia. But do not worry, we understand the importance of the Balkans in Medieval historiy, they will be very thoroughly represented.

Wolfshart
04-11-2007, 21:35
Serbia as a faction makes far more sense than Ireland. Serbia actually conquered large areas of territory, had a major war with the Turks and, even in the early period, was a significant force in the Balkans (which, at any rate, are seriously lacking in representatives). Ireland however did nothing but suffer internal strife and be used as a tool in the wars between Scotland and England.

You are confusing your dates. Ireland would have taken control of all of Briton had it not been for those damnable kid and there little dog norway...:furious3:

The Celt
04-18-2007, 04:14
Oh Christ-on-a-crutch-with-an-imp-named-Ted enough already!!!! :furious3:

I've had it with everybody posting "Why Ireland?" threads in this forum. The modders chose that faction and their sticking to it so please just read the fracking FAQ or some of the older posts for once!! If you don't agree with this list go play MTR instead!(When it comes out.) The fact is Ireland has just as much reason to be a faction as Norway, Serbia, Croatia, Georgia, or whatever minor kingdom/duchy/sultanate/republic/tribe from this era.
It's a game about changing history. Like I said there are plenty of mods for MTW2 coming out that don't have Ireland in it so why are you picking on this particular mod?:wall: Bad karma man.....bad karma.:thumbsdown:

Callahan9119
06-16-2007, 14:16
I assume this is not up for change, but I was wondering why Ireland was included as a faction? Despite, some loyalty those with Irish ancestry may have to the Emerald Isle, what would be the historical justification for including it over other possibilities that there were expansive and had impact over larger regions. Just curious.

a little thing called england, and the need for vengeance!

IrishArmenian
06-16-2007, 20:41
I've had it with everybody posting "Why Ireland?" threads in this forum. The modders chose that faction and their sticking to it so please just read the fracking FAQ or some of the older posts for once!! If you don't agree with this list go play MTR instead!(When it comes out.) The fact is Ireland has just as much reason to be a faction as Norway, Serbia, Croatia, Georgia, or whatever minor kingdom/duchy/sultanate/republic/tribe from this era.

Take Georgia off that list. Georgia withstood constant attack and expanded Georgian domain to include all of Georgia (including Akhbazia and Trebizond which is neither here nor there), some Qipchak lands and Northern Armenia.

legacy0100
06-17-2007, 11:33
Of course Serbia became more significant than Ireland. But not in 1073, or for a good while after that. Hence no faction slot for Serbia. But do not worry, we understand the importance of the Balkans in Medieval historiy, they will be very thoroughly represented.

What you say is true, but isn't Medieval Auctoriso played in Medieval ages?

I think you guys are confusing RTW era with MTW era.

Serbia does deserve more recognition over Ireland. I mean sure, every country has its struggles and heroes, but its amount of 'impact' it made around its region via culturally and economically also determines their 'popularity'.

Hence why you'd get to hear more about the Romans in your history books than Samnites of Souther Italy.

Anyways, the conclusion is, it's the Medieval ages, and Serbia deserves a place in Playable factions than the Irish.

Callahan9119
06-17-2007, 12:03
this could be argued to death and the topic will devolve into pure banality soon, if it hasnt already

i'd assume its inclusion has something to do with the amount of U.K. and american total war players, many of whom have strong ties to ireland geographically or ancestrally

anybody could make the case for a hundred territories, kingdoms or duchies...honestly, to me they could lump every balkans province under the hungarian banner and save themselves the trouble, especially with all this incessant whining about serbia

:gathering: <----Irish people reading this thread

alpaca
06-17-2007, 12:38
After the merger with AD, our faction list is again up to debate. Internal debate.

I'll be frank with you: You can try to make a good case for a faction you'd like to see by backing it up with well-researched posts containing good argumentation, but it'll ultimately come down to our gut feeling of what we'd like to have as a compromise between historical accuracy and gameplay.

NagatsukaShumi
06-17-2007, 17:22
After the merger with AD, our faction list is again up to debate. Internal debate.

I'll be frank with you: You can try to make a good case for a faction you'd like to see by backing it up with well-researched posts containing good argumentation, but it'll ultimately come down to our gut feeling of what we'd like to have as a compromise between historical accuracy and gameplay.

I'd like to backup alpaca's point, Ireland was included from a well argued case by Conn and the fact that England had it way too easy up on the good old British Isles and were a handy gameplay tool to keep England busy for a bit longer.

legacy0100
06-17-2007, 17:50
That's true. Gameplay comes before historical accuracy.

King Orko
07-03-2007, 13:42
It's the same as some mods putting Serbia in or so. Serbia is nothing more important then Ireland, maybe even less important.

This mod seems to focus on the Western world, so Ireland would be a sensible choice.
Serbia was very important for the Balkans, it was an empire once, it was unified, and Ireland was not! you surely not excpecting for four new factions that their country and region don't need a represanitive faction

aleh
07-03-2007, 18:42
The thread doesn't apply anymore I think. II's factions are decided(I think), and MA hasn't been considered yet, I believe.

NagatsukaShumi
07-03-2007, 23:40
I am closing this thread, as aleh said, it no longer serves a purpose and in fairness the reason behind a faction should not have to be explained to death.

Closed.