PDA

View Full Version : Seeking input/Advise - DL:TW

adembroski
03-03-2007, 20:09
Currently working on Dragonlance:Total War mod, looking for some input from others on this.

SERIOUSLY considering switching to Rome:TW for this mod.

A couple of factors...
- greater documentation, since I'm new to modding, i need that help. Much of the M2:TW documentation is recycled from R:TW, and I'm running into minor differences that are slowing me down significantly.
- More options, things like warcry not crashing to desktop, hoards, etc. make R:TW more attractive in terms of being able to add greater unit variety, greater gameplay variety in general.
- Better AI. Maybe I'm alone in this, but the opposition seems to be a much tougher opponent in Rome. Rome generals are far more audacious, while Medieval 2 generals tend to be very conservative.

On the other hand...
- FAR more skinning to do. With M2:TW, only a few units need to be totally reskinned. Most only need minor adjustments. With R:TW, I need to completely reskin pretty much every unit in the game.
- Game speed seems a lot better in M2:TW. Even heavy infantry seems to move at amazing speeds in Rome, and I prefer the slower pace.
- Really like the Castle/City system introduced in M2:TW, makes sense and is especially relevant in DL.

There are counter-points of course... the documentation and general easy of use is only going to improve for M2:TW, eventually there will be expansions to M2:TW that may add more options, and the AI has improved with one patch, likely a second will improve it further.

I've pretty much become consumed with this project in my free time, I have been putting 4-6 hours into it daily... but my progress in that time hasn't been significant (very little put into the actual mod, mostly just going through tutorials, editing the vanilla game for the sake of becoming confident in editing files... by the time this is done, I expect to be a modding expert;)), once I get full-on into the actual mod, I clearly want to be settled on which version to use.

Anyways, any thoughts?