PDA

View Full Version : Punic Wars trigger

Intranetusa
03-04-2007, 04:22
Is there a Punic Wars trigger in EB?

I'm playing Roman and Carthage betrayed our alliance and attacked Syracuse (owned by me) on 262 BCE.

Was this the correct trigger?

EDIT: by the way, this was on Very Hard Campaign, Medium Battle

CountArach
03-04-2007, 04:50
If Rome spends at least a turn around Messana or the territory it is in then Carthage will declare war on Rome.

Intranetusa
03-05-2007, 02:19
Carthage just sued for peace after I conquered all of Sicily (just 1 battle and 1 seige)...is this normal? That was a very very short Punic War. :D

Thaatu
03-05-2007, 09:16
RTW can't handle a guerilla war. It's up to the player to stall the conquest of Sicily if he so chooses. For example in my Carthaginian campaign the first Punic War started in 267bc when a Roman fleet blockaded Carthage after I had taken Messana. In about 265 they took Messana, I took it back in maybe 262. 256 I sacked Syracusa to fund my mobilization. 255 they really started bringing armies to Sicily and took Messana and in a few years Syracusa went too. In the ten years that followed Hamalcar won a couple of heroic battles and in 245 his army was beaten and he left for Iberia. In 241bc Lilibeo fell and there was peace. It went pretty nice, although I took Messana too early.

antisocialmunky
03-05-2007, 17:37
Carthage just sued for peace after I conquered all of Sicily (just 1 battle and 1 seige)...is this normal? That was a very very short Punic War. :D

That's what happened in real life if I recollect correctly. Carthage lost Sicily in the first war. The AI has a few problems iwth resupplying Sicily I've noticed too.

Rilder
03-05-2007, 21:22
Yea mine was kinda simular, the first Punic war was Me taking sicily and the the islands west of rome, second Punic war was the First Legions Conquering of Kart-Hadast (city not entire place) and the 3rd which has just started is Hannos retaking of Kart-Hadast and destruction of the entire First Legion. (Those bloody Carthaginians synced up an army and a half coming from different directions, the half stack going straight after Kart-hadast and the second full stack lead by Hanno going directly after the first legion, destroying it.)

Fondor_Yards
03-06-2007, 05:19
I guess I went a little overboard in my First punic war. I ened up Conquoring all of italy at 242, killing off the romans.

cyberVIP
03-07-2007, 12:01
Hi All
I sacked Syracusa to fund my mobilization. ... That's what happened in real life if I recollect correctly Except for Syracusoi - it was conquered during 2nd Punic war after looooong siege by `accident` or `trick`

Wolfshart
03-21-2007, 17:36
Thats not correct. The first punic war saw Rome gain Messana by default in 264. It was given to them for the most part once the Carthaginian garrison fled without a fight. :whip: After witch the King of Syracuse became a protectorate of Rome. It wasn't sacked. Then they got Agrigentum in 262 and Captured Panormus in 254. After years of naval conflict and failed raids to Africa they got Lilybaeum and ousted Carthage from the island completely in 241. After a mercenary revolt in Sardinia and Corsica Rome saw a chance and demanded the two islands be handed over to them in 238. Thats pretty much how the 1st Punic war was fought. :2thumbsup:

Wolfman
03-24-2007, 04:10
Just imagine if Hannibal had made it to Rome before the Romans made it to Carthage. "Sighs"

Atilius
03-24-2007, 05:00
Hi All Except for Syracusoi - it was conquered during 2nd Punic war after looooong siege by `accident` or `trick`

Thats not correct. The first punic war saw Rome gain Messana by default in 264. It was given to them for the most part once the Carthaginian garrison fled without a fight. After witch the King of Syracuse became a protectorate of Rome. It wasn't sacked. Then they got Agrigentum in 262 and Captured Panormus in 254. After years of naval conflict and failed raids to Africa they got Lilybaeum and ousted Carthage from the island completely in 241. After a mercenary revolt in Sardinia and Corsica Rome saw a chance and demanded the two islands be handed over to them in 238. Thats pretty much how the 1st Punic war was fought

In fact you are both correct. Shortly after the Romans appeared in Sicily in 264, Hiero II of Syracuse made peace and entered in to an alliance with Rome. Hiero was succeeded by his grandson Hieronymus in 216, during the height of Carthaginian fortune in the second Punic war. Hieronymus declared war on Rome and went over to Carthage. In 214 the Romans laid siege to Syracuse, and the city fell in 212.

I'm as frustrated as many of the rest of you that the AI is unable to put up much resistance to a Roman invasion of Sicily. I'm working on it.

Thaatu
03-24-2007, 08:12
I sacked Syracusa to fund my mobilization. ... That's what happened in real life if I recollect correctly
I do wonder where this quote came from... It's a mixture of two different posts that have nothing to do with each other, so it's a little futile to base a historical discussion on it.

Foot
03-24-2007, 10:00
Don't edit quotes. If its two different posters have two different quotes. cyberVIP it really does look like that quote came from the same post, which is kinda like lying - don't do that.

Foot

DMu
04-05-2007, 16:00
I took Alalia first turn with my armies in Rome.
A turn later I took Sardin too.
Then I concentrated on Pyrhus and the Italian rebels in the South.
managed to defeat them all.
Took Taras from Epirus.
Took Rhegion from Rebels
Carthage actually sent two armies up the boot, but they were probably defeated by me, Rebels, and Epirus in combination.
These were after they wasted their armies trying to invade Arpi and Capua.
Then I laid siege to Messana.
A few turns later I took Syracuse from the Rebels.
Around 247 I found a this year in history from Lucius Cornelius Scipio. Talking about the first Punic War.
A few turns later I took Lilibeo.